Thursday, November 1, 2007

Pint-Sized Golf Pro

I've only talked to one of my neighbors since we dropped off the butterscotch haystacks, but I think they liked them. Someone asked about how to package them. I bought some small, square aluminum cake pans that came with lids and I lined them with a little bit of wax paper. That worked great because they were cheap and disposable. I also wrote a little card to each neighbor and included the recipe inside.

Thanksgiving and Christmas will be here before we know it and we will all have some great opportunities to take sweet treats to our neighbors. I would just encourage anyone to pray and ask God how you could be a blessing and spread the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ to those who live closest to you.

I'm not sure how many of you have listened to the "A Christmas Collection" CD that we have in our online store. It would be a great thing to include in a basket of goodies for the holidays. In it, my mom narrates a few Christmas stories and poems that she wrote several years ago. It's one of my favorite products that we have. Diane always gives me a few copies to give out at Christmas.

While I'm on the topic of products that help you get ready for the holidays, let me mention one other thing. I recently heard Dennis and Barbara Rainey talking about her book Thanksgiving: A Time to Remember on Family Life Today. It is a "beautifully illustrated coffee table resource to help your family recognize God’s hand in our history, remember His blessings in the past, and express thankfulness to Him for His goodness today." If you order the book, they will include the audio book - the dramatic presentation of the real story of Thanksgiving - for free. They played a portion of the audio book on the radio program and it had me hooked! It was very moving. So I will be ordering that for the Jones family before Mr. Jackson wakes up from his nap!

Last but not least, here is a picture of the little man in his golfer costume last night.


Here we are with our friends Janelle and Ella at our church's fall festival. My mom will appreciate that the girls were 80's aerobics instructors. You can't tell in this picture, but I wore a poodle skirt and some saddle shoes.


Happy November, everyone!

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him."
2 Corinthians 2:14

56 Comments:

At November 1, 2007 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a specail young ladey. Keep up the great work you are doing for God. Love the picture.I think I have the cd your talking about have to check it out.Because I want it.not sure whom your talking about the Thnaksgiving book?May all of you reading this have a great rest of the year being blessed each day you wake up.& may next year be the best ever.I still wished I lived close by for some cookies ha. Oh the other day my 3 1/2 year old grandson Carter said till eveyone that Jesus made all the pumpkins, just in case all didnt know that ha.God bless love sister in Christ Victoria

 
At November 1, 2007 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Courtney said...

Jackson is so CUTE!! PRECIOUS!! ADORABLE!! Great costume, Amanda!

Looks like I'm headed to Texas sooner than I thought. I was offered a job at the Seminary yesterday and they really need me by the end of November. WOW! I'm so excited and can't wait to get there!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 2:38 PM , Blogger AbbyLane said...

oh my goodness...those golf shoes...i can't stand it!!! TOO cute! :)

..and thanks for the product suggestions...i am needing gift ideas within my first-year-out budget!! :)

 
At November 1, 2007 at 2:40 PM , Blogger Anna said...

I really like Jackson's tam o'shanter.
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! This year I am cooking up Thanksgiving dinner with my friend. I don't cook much and haven't really cooked a Thanksgiving dinner before. It will definitley be a time of excitement!
I found your suggestion to pray about ways to spread the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ to be convicting. I have a strong tendency to keep to myself and not reach out very much. Time to change that!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great idea about the Christmas CD and some nice treats. That is the most handsome golfer I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Thoes pics are too cute! im glad your nitghbors liked your treats! i know i would! your wonderful, amanda!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:36 PM , Blogger holly said...

Girl!
Those costumes are great! I have the hardest time thinking of costume ideas. My daughter went as a ballerina (who really tap danced) and I told everyone my son was Andrew Jr. b/c he looks just like his daddy. It was cheesy I know. You have given my inspiration and motivation for next year!
Love,
Holly, Ga soon to be NM

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

Good heavens! That is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen...he looks like he's straight of the green at St. Andrew's!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:41 PM , Blogger Shellie Paparazzo said...

He looks like the perfect Golf Pro. My kids got tons of candy last night! They'll probably be sick between now and Christmas only to start over again! They were all super heros. Wonder Woman, Super Girl, and Martian Manhunter from the Justice League. My husband and I didn't dress up this year.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so need to reach out to my neighbors like you said! I hate introducing myself to people for the first time! Lord help me!

I have got to get that Christmas CD thanks for telling us about it:)

I love Christmas! It is taking eveything in me not to get out all my Christmas CDS! I usually try and wait until Thanksgiving:D

 
At November 1, 2007 at 3:49 PM , Blogger ocean mommy said...

I love that little golf outfit! So precious. And I laughed out loud at the 80's aerobics instructors! Too funny.

Looks like a lot of fun, thanks for sharing with us. :)

blessings,
steph.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Holly said...

I LOVE your Mom's Christmas collection...I cry every time, even though I know what's coming. What a godly heritage God has placed for our pint-sized golfer!

Praying blessings over each one at LPM today.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Patty said...

Oh my goodness the golf outfit is to cute for words!! Our church did Trunk or Treat last night and we had almost 1000 people come by! That isn't bad for our little church. (I still call it my church even though we are moving tomorrow)

Have a great weekend Siestas!

Love,
Patty

 
At November 1, 2007 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Chelle' said...

SWEET! SWEET! SWEET!

I am glad to read that Jackson, and his Mommy and friends, were able to participate in a Church Sponsored Halloween alternative. We did the same, "Trunk or Treat" and loved every second of it.

Keep choosing HIM Amanda!!!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Natalie said...

Jackson is the cutest stinkin thing ever. He is absolutely adorable. One of the cutest costumes I've seen yet. That pic just makes me want to grab him and eat him to bits and pieces.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 5:50 PM , Blogger The Ugly Beautiful said...

Thank you for being so sweet and sharing your life with us! I enjoy it! :)

 
At November 1, 2007 at 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, Thanks for the recipe and thanks for the prodding to get out there and meet some folks. In our hurry-hurry lives, we rarely take the time just stop and talk to our neighbors. You've given a great suggestion, so now it's time to just do IT!

And your Jackson made one fine golfer! With an outfit like that, he's ready for receiving the trophy! And I loved the dance instructor outfits, what a great idea! I immediately knew just who they were imitating :o) Who could forget leg-warmers!!

God bless ya'll. Know that all ya'll are prayed for.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 6:12 PM , Blogger mburkum said...

Oh, how sweet! Great costumes!
My baby went to her dance class party and our church's harvest festival as a princess who preferred to give out treats and jump in the inflatables.

My favorite costume I saw was a little girl in Everly's dance class who was dressed as Violet from Willy Wonka after she chewed the gum...she was a big, plump blueberry with blue hair and a blue face! Then when she sat on the floor to color at dance class...too many giggles came from the parents waiting in the front. Then when she laid on her belly to have use of her arms, more giggles. Too cute. Her mom said she used a baseball costume pattern to make it. Oh, to be so creative! :) It still makes me chuckle.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

You may also be interested in the Hymns for Kids that Focus on the Family puts out. Each hymn has a devotional or story, a verse, and a prayer as well as the musical score and words, and a CD of the children singing. They have one for Christmas and one for Easter, too. Hymns have been a good way for us to reinforce truths we're having to hit in the discipline arena (Trust and Obey is one of our favorites!) as well as just teaching doctrinal truths. Our daughter gets so excited when we go to church and she knows the hymns we're singing.

We have also used a book called Christ in the Carols as a family devotional.

Another resource we have thoroughly enjoyed is the advent calendar Noelle Piper has on the Desiring God web site. It is a bit rustic, but I think it adds to the charm. Each day there is a short little blurb to read regarding the figure to add, but you repeat the entire script from Day 1 through the day you're on so the children learn through the repetition. Sofia had large portions memorized when she was 2.5 and would line up her animals and tell them the story.

Lastly, I have enjoyed collecting various books, puzzles, games, stuffed animals, puppets, etc. to put in a seasonal basket that I keep out for the children to go through at their leisure(my kids are almost 5 and almost 2). I have something all year round in the basket and when that season or holiday is over, I put the things up until the next year so it's like new again. Sometimes I make matching games or I've cut a big tree out of felt with round felt ornaments in different colors to help learn colors. Liz Curtis Higgs has neat parable stories for each season and there are so many others. We make up holidays- Gingerbread Day, Red Day, Cold Day... usually we start the day out with themed shaped pancakes (pancake molds or large metal cookie cutters) and have lots of activities. It's a fun way to learn and it also incorporates ways to talk about the Lord with the kids all day long in a natural way- "in the mileau" as Lou Priolo says. There are some neat (but out of print books that you can still find around) called Busy Bees, Fun for 2s and 3s; there are 4 books, one for each season and they have loads of ideas. As an aside, I was not an elem. ed major-I have a masters in music performance, so really, ANYONE can do this!

Blessings- T.G.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Another great resource for Christmas is The Night of the Child by Robert Benson. Audio recordings of readings about Advent. I listen to it every year, sitting in the dark with the Christmas tree all lit up!

Just thinking about it makes me so excited for Christmas!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 7:23 PM , Blogger valerie said...

Oh my gosh....Jackson looks so cute. He looks just like a little man. Thanks for sharing.
I want me a grandbaby! :)

 
At November 1, 2007 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Bobbie said...

Move over Tiger! You're gonna have some competition!! Jackson's outfit is adorable!

Fall is a favorite time of the year in our family, too. I can't tell you how brillant the colors are this year in Washington State!! We've been here 11 years and this year is,by far,the most spectacular. The reds, yellows and burgandys are just awesome. What an artist our God is!!

Thanks for the gift ideas! I may have to do some shopping tonight!

Happy Fall Y'all!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie! He looks very sweet in his Halloween Costume! All of you do! Was this on Halloween night? Great costumes! Faye

 
At November 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM , Blogger su said...

Jackson is so cute!! And what a great smile.

Could someone tell me why their fall festival is called Trunk or Treat? This is new to me. Thanks.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 8:34 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

What a clever idea...a golfer. I will have to keep that in mind for my little boy next year. His daddy is a golfer! :)

I just want to say thanks for all you do, Amanda. You are so sweet and so tender-hearted and I love you like I love my sisters. Have a great weekend.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Christal said...

oh my!!! what a cutie!!!! coming from the golf capital I say your little guy looks like he is Masters Tournament bound......

 
At November 1, 2007 at 9:37 PM , Blogger R said...

What a coincidence! My church, Pantego Bible, is doing a series right now called "Street LIGHTS", a six-parter discussing how we can minister effectively to the cluster of neighbors immediately surrounding us, the same way a street light illuminates a small portion of a street at a time.

 
At November 1, 2007 at 10:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth, I have no idea what season you were in for Life Quakes 1 on Life Today-but I cannot tell you how much your honesty affected me-I love you and your teaching so much -you are my teacher that leads me again and again to the foot of the cross. That program was the 4th I had listened to by you that night to try and get a word---but that message you seemed different than ever-and you are amazing, but that message was life changing and you my friend were so authentic and real.PTL LOVE YOU, SHELL PS that grandbaby boy is too beautiful-thanks for the recipes Amanda

 
At November 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your boy is so precious! Love the outfit.

And speaking of precious kids...
My 4 year-old told me today that 2 days ago when she was in bed at night, she asked Jesus to come into her heart. (We've been talking about that lately). What a precious thing for a mom to hear! I asked her a few questions and am quite convinced she understands "enough." The Word says we need the faith of a little child, and she's got that.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Shannon Pate said...

ADORABLE!!!!!

 
At November 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Thanksgiving book by Dennis & Barbara Rainey sounds great! I am going to check it out right now!

Thanks Amanda-

Sarah, TN

 
At November 1, 2007 at 11:14 PM , Blogger Lindsee Lou said...

My dad, who is an avid golfer, wants me to have a boy grandbaby just for him so I can dress him like this one day! TOO cute!

Lindsee

 
At November 2, 2007 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

i couldn't find words to say how cute that little golfer is...and that tam and golf shoes...oh my!!!!!!!!!! too cute 4 words

 
At November 2, 2007 at 5:46 AM , Blogger sammie said...

Thanks for being a leader Amanda.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Kristib said...

What a great idea for a costume! Your little guy is just so stinkin cute!

Did Beckham dress up? My cocker spaniel dressed as super dog with a red cape and a chest plate with an "S" on it. Maybe Beckham should have gone as a church deacon after his Sunday visitation episode. ha ha.

Love ya!
Kristi B.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 7:25 AM , Blogger kat said...

The picture of Jackson was precious, precious, precious.

And the encouragement to pray and ask God to show us how to show the fragrance of the knowledge of Him was a great word picture because He is such a sweet aroma to me.

And I loved the aerobics picture...brought back some haha memeories for me.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Ashton said...

Still amazed at Jackson's sweet little eyes. What a speacial little guy he is. I'm always warmed by you sharing his life, your life in this blog.
Allison

 
At November 2, 2007 at 7:59 AM , Blogger DigiNee said...

I do not see how Beth could look at that pic of Jackson and not just swoon! That is PRICELESS!

Blessings Siestas!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Kristen said...

Jackson has to be the most darling little golfer I have ever seen! As a golfer myself, I know how important it is to look good out on the course - especially since I look better than I play! Ha Ha!

I LOVE your mom's Christmas Collection - I listen to it many time throughout the year! Mary looking into the Savior's eyes, holding God in her arms, the shepherd boy and of course Minnie and that peppermint stick! Oh the lessons in those stories. Praise Jesus!
Happy November Siestas!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 10:49 AM , Blogger confused said...

How precious!!! Once again, thanks for sharing.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 11:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Fall to you too! Little Jackson looks so adorable. Hope that you all had fun at church. Everything is going smooth still with the transfer to Tx. God is really being faithful. It seems like its easier to follow him when you tell him we want to do what HE wants us to do. The doors will certainly open if thats his will!! You all are in our prayers. I love all the recipes that were posted!!
Can't wait to be a Texan!!
In Christ,
Christina

 
At November 2, 2007 at 1:32 PM , Blogger holy chaos said...

I am on the baking for my neighbors.

I had been thinking about it so now I am going to do it!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 2:02 PM , Blogger valerie said...

This is for Su...
My sister's church did "Trick or Trunk" and she said there were several cars parked at the church and the trunks were all open and were filled with candy for the kids who were "trick or treating." Her town is pretty small and they had over 500 kids show up. The grown ups dressed up as they passed out the candy.
This must be a new thing (it was the first year I'd heard of it) because several churches in our area were doing this too.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my heart! Jackson is so adorable as a golf pro that I can hardly stand it! BLessings as you raise us this child and train him in the way he should go. Blessings!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Amanda,
I have never written on this but I just wanted to let you know what a Godly inspiration your family is to me. I need all the encouragement I can get these days and I find this blog a solace to come to with all of the other mess that could be found on the internet. May God continue to bless LPM and Beth. Thanks!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 9:19 PM , Blogger freetobeme said...

What a cute little golfer!

 
At November 2, 2007 at 9:38 PM , Blogger Carmen said...

How cute is the wee golfer and the wee aerobic instructer? I flashed back to the 80's when I saw the pic! I saw a magazine the other day with the 80's theme and they were showing you how to create the 80's teased bangs with a curling iron and aqua net!lol.
Thanks for the recommendations on the CD.

 
At November 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that is a cute little getup!!! And little Jackson makes it even cuter!

 
At November 3, 2007 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

What a cutie!!!
Thanks for sharing!

 
At November 3, 2007 at 6:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was just introduced to this blog by my sister. I am currently going through my first "Beth Moore" Bible study and thank you for the many ways you have already blessed my heart. I couldn't help comment that my son was also the "golfer." He won our church costume contest and I'm know your son was turning heads too! Very Cute!
Tiffany

 
At November 4, 2007 at 2:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda the pictures of Jackson were awesome He is so cute. I liked the recipe you gave us I need to find it in chocolate LOL! Happy November we brought our kids to church that night too one went as a red power ranger and the other as Darth Vadar but Praise the Lord He was glorfied. I have to share what my Six year old told me. Mommy I love you but God Loves you More! I felt the tears well up in my eyes ! Praise the Lord I finally feel like I am doing something right with my children and who could go wrong with teaching them about God our Father and Jesus our savior. They are learning about the old testament in Sunday School and My Six year old says Mommy Moses parted the red sea and they had plagues cause the egyptians wouldn't let them people go! Glory and Honor to You Lord Jesus !

My favorite time of the Year is Thanksgiving and Christmas!

God Bless you Sisters
Susan

 
At November 4, 2007 at 4:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How adorable! Hope everyone had a great time. Precious years and a precious time in life. May your week be blessed. In Jesus' Love Kathy Knoblock

 
At November 4, 2007 at 6:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that a few years ago I was blessed with a copy of Beth's Christmas Stories and it is the highlight of my Holidays. I have no family and my frds no longer wish to be around me. It hurts but I am knowing, believing God that we are healed,mended and reconciled---I'm waiting upon Him and His timing!!! Yet I am still a human fighting the devil, his attacks and his darkness. This Blog is Christian family to me and I thank you so for having it especially with picturea!!! I serouisly doubt that you can ever know what vessels of God you are to us in the World.
Thanks--Phils.4
Vicki in TN.soon to be in KY as a Director if a Christian Unwed Mothers'Home per the Father's calling!!!

 
At November 5, 2007 at 6:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie you have! Thanks for sharing! The proud mama in me has to share today, too. Our 5-year-old little girl just danced for a worship service at Salem Lutheran for the first time yesterday, and it was such a precious experience for me to watch her give glory to her God through dance! I practically grew up in a dance studio, when I wasn't at church--those were my two "homes away from home," but I never heard of liturgical dance (it sure wasn't done in the Lutheran church!) until I was an adult. Dance has not been part of my life since I got married 12 years ago, and I cannot express the delight of my heart to see my little girl dance for God in His house. Hallelujah to the Highest One! God is sooooooo good! Thanks for allowing me to brag. How I wish I could share a photo!

To Him who sits on the throne!
Julie

 
At November 5, 2007 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Chelle' said...

Amanda- this is off topic but is there any way to find out what your mom did with the blue yarn bracelets from her initial study group from teh Believing God series.

She said in her Believing God book early on that she would tell us by the end of the book and then... she didn't. (At least, I didn't find it.)

I'm itching to know what she did with it.

Thanks.

 
At November 6, 2007 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Healed By His Grace said...

Jackson looks so grown up!!!! But sssooo adorable! Fabulous costume, Amanda! It is so strange to see Jackson at his age now when my Bible study is doing A Woman's Heart and I had to tell them that Jackson is not the brand newborn baby that he was in the video. I will probably take this picture of him so they can all see just how precious he is! Thanks for sharing!

Because of the drought in the South, the leaves in the mountains just peaked this past weekend and they were breathtakingly beautiful. You can't help but see how God has taken His paintbrush and painted a glorious picture of yellow, gold, orange, green, red and purple leaves in abundance to be a magnificent painting for all to enjoy. Treat yourself to a moment to enjoy His glory in nature!

Have a wonderful week! God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home