He Called It Spittle
Last night at Bible study, I was in the throes of teaching a very involved lesson when I could not help but notice one of the camera men waving wildly to get my attention. Then, with great emphasis he pointed to his face with both index fingers. OK. I get it. Something was clearly wrong with my face but what, I asked myself. And what that hasn't been wrong with it for the last 5 decades? I did first what you would have done. I checked my nose. "Oh, please Lord, not the nose." Thank God, I didn't feel any kind of foreign object (praise You, Lord, for manifold mercies!) and for a moment I felt relieved. Then the camera man waved and pointed again. Aerobically. I hoped against hope that he was having a breakdown of sorts. Was he caught in a loop perhaps? It happens. I tried to go on teaching. More waving. More pointing. Just the one guy. Every one else acted like all was well. No one stopped me to fix anything so I thought to myself, "What could be bad enough to keep waving at me about, but not bad enough to stop me?" Lipstick on my teeth, I decided, so I did the tongue over the teeth thing. Meanwhile I was trying to teach my class a very difficult literary structure in Esther. More waving.
It looked this time as if he were pointing to his cheeks, so I had my class look at a Scripture and I swept both sides of my face subtly with my hands. I thought maybe my lip plumper had shifted and caused swelling in my cheeks. More waving. Pointing. At least twenty minutes later during one of the most intense classes I've ever taught, I knew nothing else to do. I pulled out a Kleenex and wiped my whole face as if I were a sweaty boxer who'd just gone to his corner to spit the blood out of his mouth into a bucket. And finally the camera man's arms dropped to his side and his body slumped over with what I realized later was great relief. And exhaustion no doubt.
I went home with much praise to our God for helping me teach a difficult lesson and helping my class to appear to get it. And maybe even enjoy it. I told my coworker who was driving me home about the camera man chaos and pondered with her what it was about. No idea. I told her I'd check. I got into the house, grabbed my cell phone and called my director on the phone. "Buddy," I said, "What in the world was all the waving about with the camera man?" Then he said it. "Have you ever seen anyone with white spittle in the corner of his mouth?" My heart dropped into my feet. (I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type. Please laugh with me. Even at me. Go ahead and enjoy this at my expense.) "Yes," I said timidly and feeling a little light headed. "You had that tonight."
Spittle. I had that last night.
Fabulous.
Only on one side, he assured me. On the opposite side from where my staff was sitting, explaining why they didn't stop me and fix it. Which they would have. Because they're women.
He said, "In all these years we've never had this with you. Are you doing something different or just feeling intense?" Actually, I was trying something different. I was trying spitting on myself during class. Not really. I was trying this brand new spray they make for singers and speakers that's supposed to coat your throat and keep you from getting dry and coughing. I wish I'd read the warning label. I bet anything it says, "Can cause spittle."
My director is hoping they can fix it in post-production so that those beyond my own patient, loving Houston class will not have to endure the pain of embarrassment for me. But he's not sure they can.
I am writing to you because I told all this to AJ this morning. And having inherited my strange sense of humor, she said, "Mom, you HAVE to blog about it." Particularly because of one thing I told her. I said, "Honey, it's things like this that keep those who are closest to me and work with me from ever dreaming of being jealous of what I do." My LPM staff shudders at the thought. The spittle nearly put them over the edge. This blog is for anyone out there still entertaining the least thought that you'd feel like a big shot if you did what speakers do. Or for anyone who, in your wildest imaginations, has ever been jealous of this job. Let me help you out here for a moment. Here are a few things I've been told through the years - and by those who LOVE ME VERY MUCH and who I LOVE LIKE CRAZY and who are just doing their jobs. And good ones at that. And need to continue to do them. But just so one or two of you can be free and get visions of glamour out of your head, here goes:
"You talk way too fast."
"You move too much."
"You jerk around too much. We can't keep the camera on you."
"You've gotten where you talk too loud but we've been discussing it and I think we've come up with why..."
"You talked WAY TOO LONG. How are we supposed to edit this?"
"I was so hoping that outfit would work on camera but it just didn't. It kind of humped up in the back."
"Remember to blot that sweat from time to time."
"I think the redder lipstick makes your teeth look a tad whiter."
"Were you tired in this session? You just didn't seem to have the same energy. Are you getting enough sleep? Is there anything we can do?"
"Have you developed a back problem? You've kind of begun to hunch over when you teach."
Then there was the new make-up artist hired recently for a product that was being done at a speaking event. She got me ready that morning then watched from the monitor as I taught the first session. She came running to me over the break like a bull out of the pen and headed straight for my nose and commenced to work on it for fifteen minutes. Shading. Powdering. Airbrushing. Sneezing. Then she said, "At least it's not high def. That will help."
And those are just the ones I can tell you.
He called it spittle.
PS. If anyone on any of my beloved film crews happens to read this entry, please laugh your heads off with me at all the awkward moments and painfully humbling circumstances God has given us through the years. They are GIFTS. Let's embrace them. Celebrate with me that it hasn't been easy. Comfortable. Or stale. We never have gotten the thing down. That's a good thing. No a bad thing. We are utterly dependent on God to pull it off. Keep teaching me. Keep helping me. Keep humbling me. As one of you has often said, our critics are the guardians of our souls. Furthermore, it makes the nice things you say along the way and all your gracious kindnesses the stuff of blessing rather than ego. I need you badly and I love you madly. Don't you dare let up. But don't stop laughing either. It would be terminal to all of us.

226 Comments:
This is perfect. I am heading off to teach some classes at our women's retreat. I will watch for spittle! We love you girl!
Love,
Kasey Ewing
www.theewingfam.com
Beth,
You are too,too funny! I love so much that your just human like the rest of us, and you are so willing to share that with us! It is a blessing to be called your Siesta!
Mrs. Beth,
I'm laughing so hard my insides are hurting and I'm holding back the tears.
Spittle!! lol....I'm totally undone.
And PS - I just thought that you would surely LOVE this NT class I'm sitting in now. This professor makes my mind and heart spin and I battle between being too overwhelmed to take notes, or killing my hand to get them down. I'll save you a seat ;) Love you darling!
Sorry, can't give you anything humorous today... Beth, as you were teaching last night the group I facilitate was watching session 4 of HE IS. You looked FABULOUS! I love the jacket you were wearing. You are always "2 CUTE!" More importantly, I LOVE YOU. In the last 15 years you have taught me so much about my God... the lover of my soul, and even with "spittle" you are the most beautiful angel God has ever sent to teach me with the bread of His perfect WORD. Last night was a nice warm cake of bread fed to me. Thank you! Our God truly is LORD!
Beth, you are a riot! This is too funny! But what amazes me is that you have such a good understanding and rationale. Wonder where that comes from? :o) Never mind, I know. It has to come from God. I'm SO looking forward to doing the Esther study when it comes out. Spittle and all!!! LOL
O BETH!! I so stkin love you girl! i love your sense of hummor and you not being afraid to be real and share your self whith us even whith moments like at your study! im laughing so hard right now its crazy! i love you girl!
Oh, so funny! I LOVE reading this blog b/c it never fails to encourage me, humor me, teach me. Thank you for sharing your life with us! Won't it be fun to all glorify God together one day?
I would just like to say "Thank you". It is amazing how God uses you, you seem so far from where I am but at the same time when I read your blog or even now while I'm reading "Jesus, The One and Only" I feel like you are talking to me as a close friend. I love that you let us be this close to you so we can experience God's spittle moments with you.
Thank you for all that you do.
Beth, I am just printing out your latest post so I can read it later ... and I'm already smiling. The title alone cracked me up! I can't wait to see what it says! Thank you for the smiles!
If we can't laugh at ourselves then maybe we're too full of ourselves. Laughter is truly a good medicine!
Thank you for being humble in your transparency.
Spittle...thank goodness you are human like the rest of us. We love you, spittle and all. Just imagine when we see that particular tape, we will all be disappointed if we don't see it. Don't let them edit it completely out! LOL
Beth,
We just did session 7 of Daniel this morning...just finished about an hour ago. It was a work-out! At one point, my eyes just kinda *bugged* and I was doing everything I could to stay with you. I loved every minute though because I was *having me some learnin'*
Basking in the glory of the Ancient of Days, I want to say to you that I appreciate every moment of your time and energy you pour into serving us. I love YOU.
Elaine
dear Beth - oh how I need to laugh with somebody today! It's be a tough morning and looks like it'll be a tough week. Thank you for sharing and reminding us that God's call is not easy and can be most humbling. I love you so much for being real - it gives me such freedom to know real people love God and obey in minsitry - even when they get spittle on themselves! And you're right - a woman *would* have mentioned it to you! =)
I can so identify as I have sat and watched in horror as my pastor husband had spittle while preaching. You know that moment when you are trying to decide whether to draw attention to it which, in turn, will draw attention to yourself from the congregation? Yea, I hate that. We have now developed a "signal" for spittle but I haven't actually gotten to use it yet. If you would like, I could share it with your camera man:) From here on out, we will all try and refrain from "spittle watch!" We love you and how real you are, spittle and all!!!
Beth.. you are a hoot!! I love just how real you are with us.
Poor Beth. Thank you for sharing how human you are.
We all have our very embarrassing moments. One of mine is when the zipper on my dress broke during the song of invitation. I sat down telling myself no one noticed. Yeah, right!! I found out fast how wrong I was when a sweet woman two or three rows back sent her jacket forward for me to put on. I can laugh now but as a young adult I felt humiliated beyond words and I am sure I was asking God why He would let that happen to me during worship.
At least you know what caused your spittle. I am guessing you will not use that product again. However, I personally would not mind watching a tape of you with your spittle. I am more interested in what you have to say than what might be on your face. I love the way you express yourself & the way you move, your passion and your love of the Lord & His word.
God bless you.
n
I think it is funny that the cameraMAN (emphasis on MAN) noticed the 'spittle' (I hate that word - reminds me of something you hear about at the nursing home - sorry). I bet that camerMAN's wife could go and get her hair cut and colored and he would never notice, but he notices a little spit on the side of your mouth? Hilarious. If we cant laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?
Cost of a Beth Moore Bible study work book: $10 - $25
Cost of seeing 'spittle' on Beth Moore's face: Priceless
I work for a dear Christian man who came into work one day when I had been out for being under the weather. He kindly told me, "You look so nice this morning!" I said thank you - there's nothing better someone can say to you in the early morning. He then followed the compliment with, "I'm glad to see you back to your normal self. You've looked kinda icky the last couple of days. Glad to have you back." It's a good thing I enjoy my job and respect this man!
I am oh-so-thrilled about last night's lesson, Beth! I went home and "re-taught" the lesson to my amazing husband. Have no thought in your head about wondering if "we thought it was cool." It was WAY cool! And I didn't notice your spittle, or the crazy camera man.
Thank you! Blessings.
Dearest Beth,
You are so precious and funny! Thank you for being so real...your sense of humor is such an encouragement. Today is my daughter's 12th birthday and we had to get up at the crack of dawn to celebrate since her grandmother was leaving for Ark. and brother had to be at school early for fb. I had to miss my Breaking Free Bible study this morning (my first one to miss and we're at the half-way point). We received a call this morning that one of our dear friends had an anuerism at his son's fb practice last night and is not expected to make it. Please say a prayer for Kevin and his family today...anyone who might read this. I had logged on to your website for encouragement, and your blog gave me a much-needed laugh in an otherwise hectic and emotional day.
Love and Blessings to all of you.
Dawn
Beth, thank you so much for some laughter that was badly needed in my life today! Wednesday is always the most stressful day of my family's week, and even more so now that I'm battling major anxiety issues. You've lifted my spirits and given me more hope to conquer the rest of my day. Thank you!
Oh Beth! Your are too much! I loved the John Kennedy crisscross! I so enjoyed the study and the personal word to me, I was so encouraged. You are dear to my heart, love you too.
Allison
LOL That gave me a smile today, thanks!
Oh goodness gracious Ms Beth I almost woke up my little guy from his nap with my bursts of laughter!!
That is the funniest story!!! Spittle in the corner of your mouth - I am swallowing trying to help you out as I type this LOL!!
I too lead women's studies and there is nothing like that dry mouth tickle in your throat just as you get in front of everyone - I like to say it is the Holy Spirit leaving me breathless and totally dependant on Him!!
Oh and my hubby works with Darren Moore - a old cameraman for Lifeway and the "moving all over the place" comment was the one he told my hubby. He said he had to figure out new ways to film you because you kept jumping out of the frame - LOL!!!
Let us always keep jumping for our LORD!!! HE IS AWESOME!!
WE LOVE YOU!!
Kim
"I need you badly and I love you madly."
That's the very same way I feel about you!
Thanks for reminding us all that spittle happens. ;-)
How funny!! I was teaching a ladies SS class a few months ago and I kept catching myself spitting as I talked. I sent an email to all the girls on the roll and apologized for wetting those who sat in the front and if they dared sit in front while I taught again, I would bring an umbrella for their protection.
A few days later, I saw one of the ladies teaching an aerobics class at the gym I go to and she announced over the microphone that I taught SS and spit on all in the front row. Pretty embarassing to this once extremely shy girl.
OK!! That made me want to laugh so hard, but my dear man is sitting across the room and he might think I went nuts! So I didn't. I am however rolling all over the floor laughing on the inside. But after watching the Life Today episode this morning all i can really say is...
WHOOP, WHOOP!!
STEF
Beth,
I LOVE your stories. I have got to stop reading them at work though...my coworkers think I have lost my mind...sitting in a room alone and laughing my head off! I couldn't even answer the phone a few minutes ago! I definitely needed that laugh today. I am going to print this one out to share with my sister later who is blog-challenged. There is no way I could relay that story where she would get the visual I got while reading it. You are a true Angel -- spittle and all! Have a blessed day.
Oh sweet girl! I know the spray you mean and the first time I used it (I'm a singer) I had the EXACT same problem AND our cameraman did one of those "nothing but my head" shots. SPECIAL!!!! Sure keeps any of our heads from gettin' too big, doesn't it?!
I love you for sharing how REAL you are!! You crack me up girl!
Spittle or not, I'm now off to impress people with Chiastic Structure! Watch out!
Loved the lesson!
Well, I for one, am hoping they CAN'T airbrush the spittle away! Imagine the fun of watching that video months from now, knowing what I know today. I will relive the hilarity all over again! Last night at "A Woman's Heart" you talked about what makes a friendship. You said "It's the secret stuff and it's the small stuff about us that someone else knows." I would say that after the last few blogs and especially this one, we are very good friends indeed!
I think embarassing situations are kind of fun. When me and my crazy friends came to see you in SLC last year, we went to Joe's Crab Shack on Saturday evening. One of them thought it would be very amusing to tell the place, it was my birthday, which it wasn't. Well, no amount of protesting convinced the nice little waitress that it wasn't, so she gives me a purple sequin cowboy hat, a blue feather boa and a stick horse and announces that I have always dreamed of being a rodeo princess. I figure, why not, these people will never see me again. I galloped around the restaurant like a fool. I don't know who was laughing more...me or my friends. I think the rest of the place felt a little sorry for me!
If a little embarassement on my part makes someone elses day, I'm there for ya! Love you madly, need you badly.
P.S. I'm always having to fix my face before I go back to work if I have read these at lunch, which I frequently do. Why, you may ask? Because I'm laughing so hard, tears are running down my face. Could be a little spittle in there too, I'll have to check more closely from now on.
Oh dear, dear Beth ---- I was there and I was so under the balcony in the back - so we - way back there - did not notice anything! I hope that helps and yes, I am so laughing!!!! We said on the way home - tonight is an edit night and that is a commendation - you were just so right on and yes, beautifully intense as God directed ---- so am I doing for my country or is it doing for me??? Hum . . .
Have to tell you dear sister - IT WAS ALL I COULD DO NOT TO TAKE A RUN AROUND THAT PLACE AND THEN FALL ON MY FACE IN TEARS and the tears were falling there at the end, way in the back of that sanctuary ----- you were so RIGHT ON!!!!! I had to control the shout - truly! The Anointing was so heavy - and well, thus the spittle I reckon' ---- and yes, after years of coming downtown and being enriched in person, last night was the deepest, most profound night of all (so far of course!) --- and I even remember all those 50 cent words and what all they mean!!!! God spoke through you in a miraculous way!!!!! Your words were light and life! I could sense that in the room . . . whoa - God is here and He is speaking through Beth - LOUDLY! Make no mistake - it was CLEAR!
THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU for your obedience, sacrifice and love for us - you were, sure enough, a Texan drink offering last night straight from the Throne Room of Heaven . . . tongue twisters and spittle to boot! Sweet tea I believe - sweet tea on a hot summer afternoon after a hard day's work or a Sunday morning meetin' where God was glorified and praised and you just have to sit a spell and ponder His greatness.
Makes me want to shout right now and yep, since I am home alone I can do that! Yahoo-Jah!
Blessings Beth and AJ - blessings.
Beth I love you spittle and all!! Your siesta in Albuquerque
Absolutely hilarious! Beth, you are a riot!
I'm sure I will not be the only Siesta who will ask you to leave at least SOME of the spittle in the final edit! Please? ;-)
Thank you for the big laugh this morning! And for being so real and humble and human. Spittle or not, you are one of the loveliest creatures God ever made!
Love,
Kristin in Austin
P.S. I DVR'd "Life Today" this morning and am watching it now. As usual, you are speaking a powerful word over me. Thank you thank you!
Sweet Beth, you are so funny. Spittle. That makes me think of the stories my mom tells me about her granny dipping snuff, and being a nurse, I have encountered such sweet little ladies with true "spittle." So, at least it wasn't brown and gritty.
Love you dearly, Tina
Dear Beth,
I quit entertaining any envy of you after visiting the Grand Canyon and watching the helicopter rides, no thanks, awesome I am sure but I prefer to serve God with my feet on the solid ground. I once spent a whole day with a black shirt on wrong side out! No one noticed ( I chose not to believe they did not love me enough to tell me.) Shalom
Laughing very hard WITH you, Beth. I'll have to ask my mom if she noticed!! ;) Kidding.
Spittle. I think I have a new word on your behalf!!!
And talking to fast?! I think that is the story of my life.
Hope the taping goes better next week!!!
Lindsee
Beth that is too funny! I can't imagine what you go through to teach us. From the bottom of my heart - THANK YOU!
You are so funny. We noticed the camera man and wondered what was happening. The one thing I did notice last night was so sweet. From my seat I noticed the boom camera operator bend down and I believe that he was trying to tie his shoe. When he stood back up and moved to his right with the camera, one of the women came over, bent down and tied his shoes. I thought how precious that was. I can get so involved in the study that I do not notice the cameras. But that last night touched my heart. Our sistas are so wonderful and loving. We have grown to love those camera guys and gals so much.
The praise and worship last night was tremendous. All the women at the altar praying but the sight of women praying for them was amazing. What a great city called Houston that we live in where women can come together, worship God and leave each week filled with his word and his love. Thank you Beth and Living Proof for what you do. You have touched my soul and changed my life.
Oh how funny!! I love it! Now, when I do the Esther study (at first) I will be looking for the spittle. heehee So what lesson was it? hahha That way I won't be distracted through them all! :) Just kidding!
Thanks for keeping us informed of the fun and angst of being called.
Blessings!
Okay. I couldn't help but smile. But I AM SO SORRY! No one ever wants to be the one who has something between their teeth, in their nose, or on their face. And I've been there too - had stuff pointed out. Yuck.
It's a great quality to be able to laugh at yourself. Thanks for reminding us that we take ourselves far too seriously.
Beth, thank you for once again showing me that being real is ok. I was watching you this morning on Life Today and your testimony about going through the hard times meant so much to me. Such simple things as being reminded that there is no magic pinnacle we reach where we won't hurt if we have enough faith- Thank you Beth for sharing your vulnerablility. It helps me give myself permission to do the same.
I love you so... you are precious beyond words.. I am laughing with you..
AWESOME, HILARIOUS story! Thanks, Beth! You always "keep it real"! :)
LOL!!! That was hilarious! Thanks so much for a much-needed laugh today. :) Love, Tara
PS - I was just watching video #9 of Believing God and my 2.5 year old son walked up and asked, "Who's that?" and I said, "That's Beth." He said, "Hi, Beth!" So my son, Gabriel, says hello!
I am so totally cracking up! Oh my goodness. And who uses the word "spittle"--makes me feel like we're stuck somewhere in the wild west!
My little niece is calling me--how I love having a two-year-old in my house--just for a day!
Joanne
I'm sure you are the one person who would still look cute as a button with spittle! I've seen people with that on their mouths before, but never knew there was a name. Now we know! :)
Thanks for sharing and thanks Amanda for persuading her to....you are too funny!
Beth - we see with our ears most of the time anyway during your classes - while you take us to the place you are teaching about. I've had to miss a couple with personal issues - so we're so glad these are taped at all! Thank You Jesus. We'll take the spittle!
Also, that was so funny about Beckham. Sure sounds to me like he's trying to take the President Spot from Beanie in the Bad Dog Club!!!
We'll be there next week!
Love,Mary
oh beth i could hardly read to the end of this post for wanting to scream OH THANK YOU BETH. does laughter not do the body good. i love you dearly(aj too).
this guy's got to get his spittle warning signals a little more down pat. can i just say i've seen it before but never knew if there was a name for it. spittle?
you have a blessed day.
~janel
ps i'm shakin' my head and i can't get this grin off my face :) hugs
UPDATE!
Sandi Patty is now singing "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" on "Life Today"!
Beth AND Sandi in one half hour! How much blessing can one heart take?!
Beth...siesta you have taken charades to a whole new level...lol. Thanks for sharing, I laughed so hard I got my ab workout done!!! Be blessed today
With the wonders of modern editing these days I'm sure they can do something. Add some red for lipstick or something. :) When I tend to get excited and talk quickly that happens to me too. Aren't you glad we're human! :) Maybe we need bumper stickers that say, "Spittle happens". LOL!
Only YOU can do what you do, Beth! And I am so glad, Sister.
I could never do it, but I can pray!
I posted some pics. of you with your serenade fella at Life Today. There is one that fully captures your surprise...and I dearly love it.
How so cute I lol,thats one thing that I love about you Beth you are so down to earth.You have no idea how specail you are.My preacher was telling us somehting that was takeing place, but said it for last month he did it serval times then that night the deacon did the same thing ha ha.Beth I cant wait till E comes out for us.so wish I could be there to hear you in person.Now let the rest of the week be great.& thanks for shareing this with us.You are an angel own this earth but a laid back one.God bless love sister in Christ Victoria
Thank you! I'm SO glad i'm not the only one things like this happen to! Whew!! =)
Beth, we wrapped up Daniel last night. Wow. Thank you for 12 weeks that we will NEVER forget. And every single lady in the group is a good friend of mine, as their "leader", I WILL be staying on them about that final exam!!
And Wednesdays with Beth was especially good today!! I needed a reminder to PRAISE even when my circumstances keep my eyes focused on the trash around me. You're such a blessing, lady!
Beth,
Good gravy -- I can't wait to see that session if you were so intense that you worked up spittle! :)
Can we get a picture so that when we see that session we won't be so caught up in looking for it that we lose focus? :) I'm kidding, of course.
I have to tell you something that I just thought about and I'm not really sure how it all ties in here, but when we did A HEART LIKE HIS last year I knew that when I turned on that first video and they saw your hair (having just returned from a LPL and seeing your oh so cute hair) that they were just going to fall out of their seats laughing at, well, the bigness of it. So, the week prior to that first week I e-mailed them all and asked them (not telling them why) to bring a picture of them with BIG HAIR. They had no idea why, but we had a great icebreaker before I hit play on the VCR. It is probably the most fun I have ever had with an icebreaker in Bible study. And when they saw you on the screen they weren't so quick to laugh!
So, I guess the tie-in is this -- we've all had big hair at some point and we've all probably had spittle at some point. May God just bring us to a place where we are so passionate about talking about Him that we work up a little spittle every now and then! Amen?
Love you, sister!
Dori
You are sooooo funny!! I love that you are willing to share this with us!
I have been coming to your conferences and I have been at your home church and I can tell you that you always look beautiful to me and I don't think you talk to fast, or move to fast etc... it's who you are! I remember being at Dallas and the camera man asked you to switch earrings because it was banging on your headset. You handled it perfectly, you searched the crowd for diamond stud earrings! LOL!! I loved it and my friends and I laughed our heads off. You are the real deal! I wouldn't want to do what you do, what a high calling you have and you do it with humility and with the love of Christ. Praise God we have our own, individual callings. If I had to teach in front of all the people you teach in front of, I would have to do it from the bathroom, :)
Much Love,
Patty
Well my 12 year old grandson has asked if you "ever breathed" during a lesson...now I can tell him you can even "spit" AND "not breathe" AND continue to SPEAK!!! He already thinks you are very talented - now you may become "SUPER BETH."
oh what a great laugh!!! a similar thing happen to our preacher one time, but you guessed it - it was his zipper and his shirt coming through the zipper part. good gracious his wife was having a fit in the pew. it was awesome and great for a taped day!!! ha ha
i love it!!! and i love spittle 0 just not from anyone older than 75!!! oh you make life so much fun!! thank you
leigh
Spittle, now that is funny! I have had so many embarassing moments in my life, that thankfully I can't remember them all. My son has always been my best/worst critic. He never hesitates to dispell any high thoughts or pride I might have been getting. Blunt does not even begin to describe! We are all human and a sense of humor is the best gift for women to have, or we'd just be crying all the time. Thanks for sharing your humor. We all love you.
Oh Beth, You are so honest, so refreshing...as my friends and I attended class last night we didn't notice any spittle...we were to your left...We had a chiastic and peripety discussion all the way to Sugar Land and Richmond last night.
You lesson was intense...and as you ended, I so thought of our Lord's return I wanted to sit in my seat and cry a while.
May the Lord continue to anoint you and gift you in a mighty way.
Annette
Mama Beth,
I am about to choke on my chips n salsa (3rd time this week!!...for eating them...not choking on them) I was in an a capella group in college and we had a spray like that but we called it "herbal vomit" because it tasted just like it. i don't remember the spittle...but maybe just no one ever told me..
Love you a million pumpkin spice lattes
I almost choked on my coffee I was laughing so hard with you. I can't wait to run teach my 15 yo daughter a new word!!! Spittle!! After all she just taught me a new word today... uber?? She said it means "good to the extreme". (I guess I am way behind in the times with my vocabulary increasement...but not anymore!!) I'm off to share my wealth of knowledge with her. giggle. I feel so smart today!
Hey...Maybe it was "uber spittle"! ha ha
Love you!!!
I've had a day and this was very funny. I think I am even ready to unleash the boy who has refused to take a nap today with a better attitude- "dig doogers" in his nose and all. T.G.
Girlfriend Beth, you crack me up!! Next time I'm in front of our Sunday School class - I'll be checking regularly for spittle!
Too funny.
Blessings,
Lisa
So Precious! I LOVE it! Laughed so hard! That is why we love you so! You are so real! Please don't edit it!
I don't think I will ever see "spittle" without thinking of you! That is hysterical! Thanks for sharing! God Bless! Emmy : )
Spittle! I am cracking up!
Yes, embarassing moments keep us humble! I was in graduate school and working onsite at a bridge construction site. There I was, all 5 feet of me, surrounded by a bunch of men who probably thought I was ridiculous even before this incident. I was standing at the top of an embankment about 20 feet high and lost my footing. I proceeded to slide down the whole way on my rear end. As if that wasn't bad enough, I stood up and felt a little breeze...yes, the back of my pants had torn WIDE OPEN!
Thank goodness that wasn't videotaped.
a siesta in louisiana
What a hoot!!! Thanks for the laugh!
Because of this episode and other mishaps at Walgreen's I can always know that anything that might happen to me has already happened to you, and I'll not only survive whatever comes my way, but laugh at it in the process.
I love you, and I never noticed any of those things you mentioned in your list when I saw you in Atlanta in Aug. I just so enjoyed how God used you to touch my heart that nothing else mattered.
Thank you for being so transparent. I can only imagine the many other comments that have been said about taping and being on TV. You pull it off though girl, and do a great job at it.
We have just finished Lesson 6 on Daniel. I missed Lesson 5 as I was away on vacation with my family for fall break. I downloaded session 5 onto my ipod so I could stay current in class. Can I just say that this was the lesson in which Babylon fell, October 12. Please read carefully, it was October 12 when I listened to this. The next morning, I opened up my 3 2nd graders Bible work they had to work on while we were missing a few days of school. Guess what, their lesson was Daniel 5:1-24. Yes, Ma'm, THE WRITING ON THE WALL. Okay, Okay, I said to God, I will do my homework for this lesson, I get the message. I am not superstitious, but I do however believe God has His ways of speaking to us.
What a blessing it was once I completed the homework!!! Thanks for teaching me that I am HIS HOLY VESSEL. Not Satan's. 2 Timothy 2:26 talks about not being on Satan's team so to speak. In the Message it even states "being caught and held captive, forced to run the Devil's errands". It just gives me cold chills, not the good kind. I do not want to be used for Satan's errands!!! This really opened my eyes to the unholy, yucky stuff that needs to be gone, so that I may give God glory and be used for his HOLY purpose.
AMEN!!! Thanks Beth for continually allowing yourself to be used as HIS holy vessel and teaching all of us about HIM.
Beth,
You made my day! Being so honest in such a funny way is what makes you so loveable. I can so relate to you!
Thanks for sharing your most embarrasing moments with us. It only makes us love you more!
Your Siesta,
Rhonda
While I have never commented before I just had to today. I work in full time ministry and the spiritual warfare has been absolutly exhausting in the last few months.
Today I read your blog about the "spittle" and AJ's about the over friendly dog and laughed until I started crying. And just kept right on crying. I feel so much better! I guess I needed a "good" cry. Thank you for sharing!
I'm also laughing so hard I can barely type! Bless you, Beth - I'm so glad we can laugh (and yes sometimes cry) together.
I laughed at Amanda's post yesterday and even made my husband read it last night, but this one brought tears. You two are the funniest women! Thanks for giving us something to laugh about..."a cheerful heart is good medicine..."
Blessings,
Corrie
Perfect reminder of how human we ALL are...I love it! God loves all of us even with our spittle moments.
I have never laughed so hard while looking at a computer screen! Thank you for your authenticity! I've never used that word before... "Spittle"! It feels silly!
Another reason to love our Siesta!
-angie xoxo
Beth - I enjoy hearing the FUN you experience while teaching, amazing how God can keep us on target while things like that happen. Once I was teaching in bible study and a fly kept buzzing around my head, trying to ignore it, I reached up and attempted to catch in my hand, suprisingly - I DID, not once but twice, another came around (it was summer time) to keep the gals focused I sat there the whole time with flies in my hand until the break, where I promptly washed my hands. God is GOOD and FULL of humor.
Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves for they shall always be amused.
Thanks for sharing your truth. I heard on the radio today that nothing keeps us further from the Enemy's grasp than genuine humilty.
So take that, Satan!
You're so funny! I'm glad you can laugh about it. Have a good week. Love, Kara
Dry mouth or spittle on video...I don't know why you can't have a glass of water, but if not, I'd choose spittle! LOL It's not like we watch the bible studies on a movie screen ;)
Oh my. I love it!!!!!! So funny...need that today!
Beth, I'm a lurker who reads your blog quite regularly. I just have to say that I've never thought of your job as glamorous... but I sure do wish I had some of your gifts! Just keep being you! You are SO blessed and such a blessing! And I am definitely laughing my butt off!
That is stinkin hilarious! It is amazing what can happen and what you do while you are speaking. And it always happenes when you are being taped.
I teach Public Speaking and I tape my students. Most of them are horrified by what they look like or do while on camera.
I had a student giving a speech one time and she was using a fire batton, that was lit by the way. Well of course she dropped it. Her expression as flames lept up from the ground was priceless. Praise God the floor was tile and not carpet! I have lots of stories like this. So a little spittle is not a big deal compared to trying to burn your venue down!
Needed the laugh today. I just returned from a precious women's funeral at my church.
Thank you for all you give us! But I am especially thankful for the laughter!
Love ya
Kristi B.
Oh my Beth, That is so funny. I love that you can laugh at yourself, we have to.
I have to share this with you.. one of my most embarrassing moments have to be at church 5 or so years ago. I must have gotten dressed in the dark before the kids so I could focus on them later. So I throw on these pants I didnt remember seeing for awhile, they looked really good on me I thought. So , LSS, I'm at church getting up and down, singing and whatever, and I notice this one older man smiling at me ( with the eyes I have in the back of my head, I inherited from MY mother) As Im thinking he's weird or just loving the Lord and smiling at everyone, my conscience says otherwise and I start to get paranoid. Which makes me have to pee. I go to the bath room during the service , came to find out that I had a whole down the lining of my "buttocks" , Yes you could see it all when I stood up. How I couldn't feel that before , who knows. the funny thing is I had to stay the rest of the service and fellowship after wards. The worse part & maybe funniest depending of your sense of humor : you can only guess what type of underwear I was wearing!!! ( Can't say in public):-O I'm sure I wrapped something around me but fortunately I don't think I ever saw that guy again. God does love me!!HA!!
Amen to spittle!! I'll sit through another Esther lesson. Blessings!
Well, I've Never! Laughed so hard!
Word for the day. . .Spittle - throat spray for speakers who talk too much. Warning: May cause clogging in corners of mouth! Spray at your own risk.
Luv U & your Spittle too!
"Spittle Happens" from Sweet Tea & Grits....almost as funny as the spittle itself. ;)
Awsome lesson. We did have to dig for it, but it was soooo worth it!
I just love Tuesday Night Bible Study!!
Hey diddle diddle
Beth has some spittle
the camera man jumps over the moon..
Loved it!
Beth,
We were sitting in the front on the opposite side of your staff and didn't notice any "spittle". Just thought you were really animated last night :)! As always the class was Great. Keep on waving! You make bible study soooo fun! love ya
Bless your heart, Beth!! How could you even stay focused - had to be God! I can't wait until this study is available for all of us. I get so excited hearing the women who are there commenting on how amazing it is.
Okay, I'm going to ask, too - can you leave a little speck of spittle so we can all remember back to this hilarious blog??!!
You are too cool and funny - I feel like I know you. God has blessed you, dear one, with an awesome sense of humor and such a way with words. I love this blog!! I will forever never look at spittle on anyone again without laughing and thinking of you!!
Blessings upon blessings!!
Oh my gosh!
Spittle! I didn't know that was what it is called. I do know people who constantly have it but they are never people who I feel comfortable enough with to say, "hey you have that weird build-up of 'stuff' in the corners of your mouth!" Oh that God is laughing with us right now! What funny beings he has created.
AND, do not worry I would never want your job, and you would probably say the same about mine, I teach 22 5-yr olds, what an adventure, I LOVE IT! I am SO THANKFUL that you are willing to do your job. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Beth! I am so glad that you continually are studying a new word and then passing it on to us with your God-given teaching abilities.
And, how interesting that you have such BOLD, fortright people surrounding you. A blessing indeed although I am sure sometimes you might what to cry out 'that hurt my feelings'. I bet you do what you encourage us to do, tattle to The Father, talk it out and work through it while sitting in his lap!
Glory!
Noel
Yuma, AZ
:-)
Too bad the "spittle" wasn't as transparent as your sweet heart Beth!! Thank you so much for sharing these things with us. I loved your transparency on Life Today as well. Whether it is spittle on our lips or being spit upon in life, our enemy never gives up trying to get us down, no matter who we are.
Love you Beth!!
Ok,dum, da, dum, dum! Please ignore my last comment about the Spittle word for the day. After sending it I realized what I said wasn't what I meant to say about the Spittle. Oh for the life of me. My brain activity is slowing down for the day:)luv ya'll.
Beth you are beautiful with or without spittle! But if I get a chance to watch your tape I'll watch for the spittle scene!
Liz
oh, my stomach hurts i am laughing so hard. I was sitting neat your staff, so I saw NO spittle on that side! Good thing God gave you a good sense of humor for your calling. and no, I am not the LEAST bit jealous...I am more than happy to sit back and let Jesus give YOU that annointing to teach us!! We LOVE you so for it!!! and seriously, I have been trying all day to find a reason to use the word "peripity" JUST LOVE that word...and it's meaning for my life!!! Love you!
Nothing like a little spittle to keep things in perspective. Here's hoping they can photoshop it right into oblivion!
Beth, what a beautiful soul you have to share and laugh! I have been there, although it was not spittle and it was there through the entire presentation. It must have been a GREAT study for only the camera man to get it!
Hugs and smiles to you this week!
This is just too histerical! Major props to AJ for suggesting that you blog it ---- I would have suggested the same thing! :)
Isn't being REAL the best? Thanks for being real with us...may we be real with each other to the glory of the Father!
AMEN
Oh Beth, darlin'. What a hoot. I am now sooooo looking forward to the Esther video where you teach yourself into a spittle frenzy!
We did session 6 of A Woman's Heart yesterday. You just looked me right in the eye and said "Don't give up on prayer." I just keep saying the same thing: Thank you for your faithful teaching. Spittle or no spittle.
Kathy
Beth in my part of the country (I live in the Maritimes, up here in Canada) we would say "Beth, you are just a nut". You can make me laugh when I least want to. I can picture you sitting there at the computer typing and hootin' and if someone walked in at that very moment, they would think you had lost your mind.
Thanks for the hoot.
Till the Whole World Knows,
Patti
Aww, Beth. You sweetheart! Bless you for coming back and continuing to teach after comments and experiences like this. Thanks for sharing this =) We love you!
This cracked me up and made me thankful that you show us you are human, too. It makes it easier to learn from you as a teacher.
Thanks for the laugh!
Dear Beth...we'll all understand if they can't edit it out. We'll just chuckle and look back on this "Spittle" blog. At least you didn't "Gleek!" I learned what that is from singing in the choir at our church. Sometimes a worship singer will open his/her mouth to sing and a little stream of "spit" will shoot out. Maybe it's just called that at our church. It can also happen when you're speaking. Perhaps some of the other Siestas can relate?
if I wasn't suffering from an excruciating headache I would be on the floor laughing! I have watched you long enough I can hear you telling this story. You are a speaker I love to hear...spittle or not
Beth,
I was setting in the the balcony and noticed you doing that and the camera man.This was good.
I do have to say this that this class was present the best and GOD was truly there. I got so much from this class.And yes I love "STOMP" also and love rocking down the road with that song.
Things happen but you truly got the message across..Thank you you are blessed and loved..
smp
Dear Beth,
You make my heart sing!
Love, Anne
John 9:6
Watching you on Life Today, I was thrilled to discover that it was from the taping I attended in June. What a wonderful time we had ( I still can't hear Kirk Franklin without thinking of your "whoop, whoop") When all of a sudden there was my face filling the whole screen - talk about a shock!! So I applaud you dear siesta!! for us you are willing!! & by the grace of GOD you keep coming back for more - so do we... praying for you to always have that JESUS smile!! It coveres every stain!! (or spittle) love ya!! -mistie woods - abilene
SPITTLE?!?! LOL I love it!! You just keep broading my horizons with new vocabulary words. HEE HEE! You are a very special spittle siesta to me! Donna
I'm lovin' it! Spittle and all! Ain't it just like God to call the imperfect so He can do a perfect work?
Okay Beth, you asked for it and I obliged you: I did laugh myself silly over this -- and you should know that I will now most POSITIVELY HAVE TO get the Esther tapes if only for a few minutes of Beth Moore Spittle.
Still laughing,
Warm in Alaska.
Beth, this is why we siestas love you so much. You are human and you share with us every aspect of that from spittle to PMS. You give us hope in a world where the demand for perfection is off the charts! You keep it real and that gives us the freedom to do the same and to laugh at our frailties. One of the funniest moments at WOF in Denver was when you begged the Sun Chips off the woman in the front row. Of course you were hungry, you were burning some serious calories bringing us that wonderful word! Keep on being real...it's one of your best qualities!
Oh Beth,
Thank you for making us all feel like you are just one of us gals out here.... yes, sometimes I certainly think, "oh, what a glamorous life you lead"...but, you are just leading the life our Lord has called you to lead; and thank Him for letting us ALL be a part of it with you.... God Bless you my dearest siesta!! hugs, helene
Oh, Beth. This is hilarious. That's for keeping us real and laughing!
Beth, Beth, Beth, Beth, BETH!!!! HEE! HEE! HEEEEEE!
PLEASE don't EVER stop being YOU!
I so do love you!
Oh! That reminds me of my friend, whom I LOVE DEARLY. She teaches kindergarten and has a gecko in her classroom. On Monday morning she went to feed him crickets and they ALL dropped ALL OVER THE FLOOR! She said she just screamed and screamed. A WHOLE BUNCH of other teachers came in to help her because..."I don't pick up crickets. They're creepy crawly things." I laughed MY HEAD OFF!
"You've gotten where you talk too loud but we've been discussing it and I think we've come up with why..."
We've been discussing it? Can you just imagine?
You're still beautiful - spittle mouth or no spittle mouth. :-)
AT LEAST IT ISN'T HIGH DEFINITION???? I can not even imagine how that might have edified you as you were heading back out to teach.
Did you hear about that lady who wet herself on the Price Is Right??
A little bit of spittle isn't so bad after all!
ROFLOLPIMP!!!!
You almost made me choke on my oreo cookie!! Do you know what ROFL is? If not, it's rolling on floor laughing, and that's what I'm doing!!!!!!! You, Beth, are absolutely hysterical!! Thanks AJ for making your mom share that story! HAAAAA!
And if I may put my 2 cents in...I don't think you talk too fast, or too long, or move around too much, and I HONESTLY think you always look adorable and beautiful and I've seen you in a ton of videos, a ton on tv, and at several conferences....you always look good my sister!! :)
Love you!
Missy in SC
Beth, your story truly was the icing on the cake!!! Thanks again to the Moore girls for the comedy outlet! Laughing is good for the soul ...
Beth,
I could never do it. Bless you for going through that for us. You are definitely a servant. To be scrutinized like that. What really amazes me the most is that you were still able to teach. That you were able to stay with it. Incredible. I'm impressed.
Our group is doing Wising Up on Tuesday nights. Since there is no homework, I'm having us go over the verses and our notes daily. Then we share the following week where God has been working in our hearts. Just finished week 5. I'm really encouraged at how well it's going. Thank you for that study.
Your siesta Su
So now I guess you guys have a hand signal for "spittle?"
I've seen the taping of your studies (The Patriarchs) and remember all the retakes to make sure what you said was understandable. You do have a great team and I am so thankful for every one of them! Do they realize just how much we appreciate all they do? If not, please tell them we think they are BETTER than chips and salsa!
Miss Beth...
This was sent from God to me via you and it hit in about ten different areas. Praise His Name for allowing us to learn from and laugh with one another! :)
Love,
Deborah :)
Beth,
I was there last night, actually sitting behind that camera man and when I saw all of what you just described I tought...Oh no, poor Beth. I even saw you try to fix it all and hoped for the best for you. I never even mentioned it to my buddy next to me becuase I knew she would want to talk and get drawn into the drama and I HAD to keep focused on such a deep teaching. I know you are talking right to me when you say "Stay with me girls" Needless to say, I did get so very much out of last night's lesson...I was able to hang with you and it was great. I sure hope they can air brush that stuff away. Thanks for the laughter and joy. What a gift from God.
Do you know how much laughter would be had over you....and I mean that in HUGE amounts of love....if we could watch some bloopers from tapings??!!! We just love you so much and your realness and your ability to get so tickled at yourself.....thank you sweet teacher for never pretending to be anything other than the real deal.
I love ya! Spittle and all.
Fran
I did LOL at the "at least it's not Hi Def" comment.....that is just too funny. May we all live life in high definition laughter at how funny life can be! Thanks for sharing that you are just such a regular girl loving Jesus every minute of the day.
Many Hi Def blessings, Jill
I was teaching a group of girls once and I meant to say "apart" but instead I said "a fart". I think I laughed harder than they did. And I'm fairly sure it took nothing less than a miracle to get back on track ... :)
Oh Beth, when I began reading this I thought "Oh I hope it's not a boog. Lord, please not a boog hanging out of Beth Moore's nose!" His grace extends all boundaries, does it not?
You're too funny, girl!!!
Jan
threemenandamom
I needed a good laugh. Thank you for what you do and who you are.
I love you,
Lawan Rivera
You never cease to make me laugh! I teach 1st grade, so instead of a camera man waving, I have 21 children who are more than happy to tell me that I have something on my face, or that my hair's messed up.
Love you, Beth!
Hey,
Thanks for just being Real...Only God knows what an inspiration you are....I pray that God blesses you immensely for all the blessings you bring to us... Thanks to your family for sharing you .....You make such a differnce to so many...
I just love you..
My middle school basketball coach always had spittle. I never knew what to call it. It always bothered me. I wasn't sure if I should ever say anything to him. His daughter was on the team and never said anything. I wonder if she did when they got home. I LOVED my coach he was awesome and I remember him for more than his spittle. However, I don't think I'll ever forget his spittle either.
I hope they can edit it and if not, I do believe the message is more importnant than the spittle and will penetrate ours hearts longer.
But
It very well could be remembered as the one where Beth Moore taught a really awesome message about Esther AND she had spittle.
(everyone nodds and says "ahhh yes that one".)
:-)
I just had the best laugh of my day, no my week! Thank you for sharing your spittle side with us. Maybe it could be a sales pitch for the Esther study!Hee-hee.
God is soooo good. Have a blessed week siestas. Love you, Lori
I'm laughing with you Beth, because although I don't ever want you to feel bad, I find that sort of thing hysterical. I promise, if it were me, I would laugh at me too.
I just heard your video on "Kindness and Goodness". Tell your crew to go easy!!
Mrs. Moore,
That is so funny!! I had to google a "spittle" to make sure I was picturing the right thing...and I was. :-) And, by the way, I'm doing "Daniel" right now and just the other day you mentioned something about someone saying they thought you would look great if you changed your nose. Well, I was personally astounded because I've always thought of it as really nice nose!
Praying for all you ladies at LPM.
-Catherine-
While the spittle was funny. . .the "Good thing It's not in High Def" was way funnier! What do you say in response to that?! Ha ha! I love it!
Thanks for the story!
Brandi
Beth,
you are funny- lovin' that transparency about you - those comments you put down at the bottom of the post cracked me up:) God loves you much-and so do your siestas,
katie g from tennessee
Dear Beth,
Just to give you a little encouragement... A very dear friend of mine from our church is a missionary in Kazakstan. She will be 60 yrs old in December. In the past year, she has lost both of her parents and is struggling with the losses, as well as mixed emotions for being away from family and friends while doing God's work. She knows that she is all the way in Central Asia because that is where the Lord wants her and her husband. But, she is still struggling. We talked on the phone the other day, and her heart was just absolutely broken. I started praying about a way to minister to her.
I don't get to listen to the Life Today segments nearly as often as I would like. But, the other day I logged in, and saw the series on "Times of Intensive Care". I e-mailed her to tell her about it, and encouraged her to watch all four segments of it. She did, and you were able to minister to her all the way in Kazakstan because of technology. Isn't God good?!!
I am still amazed that technology is such that it is now even accessible over there. When they first became missionaries, they started in a very rural area of Russia and was basically cut off from the world. They have been in several other areas in Russia before they moved to Central Asia. With each different place, technology has grown to where they can be reached a lot easier. Now, they are in an area that has pretty reliable internet access. Praise God that He makes available a way for women to reach women halfway around the world.
(By the way, these segments ministered to me as well. The Lord knew that I needed to listen to them at that very moment not only for my friend, but also for me.)
Thanks for being so open for the Lord to use in such a mighty way. It is such an encouragement. I hope this encourages you as well to know that what you do does make a difference in our lives!
Beth and Amanda:
You two make me laugh so much. I love your honesty and realness. The last two entries were just what I needed today and they were so funny. I just got back in to town from a pastors and wives retreat. Nothing like being in a group of women feeling like a 10 yrs old wanting to fit in and feeling like you don't. Oh well. To top it off my communication skills have been completely lacking. My poor husband. So all that to say I needed to laugh and laugh hard. In fact I was laughing so hard that my husband even wondered what was so funny. When I told him he just knd of gave me that ok what ever look. (I told you communication is not a strong point for me this week.)
Thank you for being yourselves on this blog. Kim B. in AZ
Oh my WORD. I think I just laughed my head off.
Of course, on the upside, at least now I won't have to worry about spittle.
Oh man, that was so funny. I nearly went out on stage the week of the dedication of our new sanctuary to do praise band with full lights and cams going with...my fly unzipped.
My praise team leader had to do the honors of informing me. I've still not gotten over the trauma.
KIM FROM SING ME HOME (NASHVILLE, DEEPER STILL EVENT) IS HAVING HER SURGERY TOMORROW FOR CANCER...IT'S EIGHT HOURS LONG. WWW.SINGMEHOME.WORDPRESS.COM.
I'LL BE UPDATING HER BLOG AS I GET UPDATES OVER THE COMING WEEK.
Beth,
I don't know if you'll read this since there are already so many posts, but I flew all the way to Houston yesterday JUST to come to your bible study. I loved it all. The worship, the ministry time, your teaching, and of course I have giggled about the fork. (Okay, I laughed out loud in the plane on my way back tonight just thinking of that!). And now--- spittle!!! Let me assure you, we were not noticing the spittle. I was too engrossed in your deep teaching and finding out something about the word that I have never noticed before. We love you...in spite of (and because of) fork lifted hairdos and spittle!
You had us raise our hands if we had never been there, and said that God had ordained THAT night for us to be there. So true. I have been all about the business of trying to control the "how". I want you to know that have fired myself!! Thank you for letting God use you to teach us.
love,
Sandy
beth,
you crack me up to no end and i adore you. last night after bible study, my friend amanda accused me of being PERIPITOUS! whatever that means ;).
love,
one of your balcony girls who certainly didn't notice the spittle
Sweetest Beth! That is AWESOME! Spittle? My stars! Beth, what a delight you are.
Jesus is crazy about you, girlfriend. You keep doing this thing. He's got it going on in you!
Your siesta,
Bonnie
Beth you're still my hero spittle and all! I have never been so excited to learn about the word of God as I am now after finishing Believing God and struggling through Daniel. Bless you my friend. Though we have met(and probably will never)you have blessed my life by being the person God created you to be and empowered me to be the person God created me to be. Love to you and everyone in your ministry. Cindy Verbeek
So funny! It is great to be able to laugh at these things. Praying they can edit it out! That is the funniest part. So what we all have spittle from time to time! I understand though. Thanks for being real! You are such a blessing-spittle, nose hangings, sweat, and all! It happens to all of us. I love how God has a sense of humor! I wonder what all John the Baptist had in his teeth while he was teaching! HA! :)
Much love,
Angela
Beth, please don't ever change! I love getting on the blog and reading the down to earth you! How many other women would be willing to confess their "spittle".
love it, love it, love it,
Ginger
Pastor's wife from Florida
See you in Jacksonville!
Beth,
That was the most I have laughed in quite awhile!!! Thanks for making me smile....and laugh....
PS: I can't wait to study Esther and see the video!...aka...spittle!
love, amelia
Beth~ You are too cool! (smirk) Now you know the Lord will NEVER put on us more than we can take!The Lord, maker of heaven and earth has a sense of humor too, Right? He knows that we love you.. spittle or no spittle~~ You are perfect! Your Siestas love you and tell you to never change anything! YOU ARE AWESOME...even with spittle! love you! jan
Beth,
I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type! But at least you're willing to laugh about it! I am laughing WITH you...spittle? Just what every woman wants to hear. Love your sense of humor!
Your Siesta,
Kathleen
Beth, my sides hurt from hyper-ventilating right now--I thought it was me! I was sitting center, two rows in front of the cameras. I glanced at "something" doing some serious hang time on the right corner of your mouth, I said to myself---"it can't be...it couldn't be, Oh girlfriend,it was!" Don't fret though, the lights had to hit it just right to pick up on the darn thing! I felt totally helpless--thinking at any moment surely you would kinda slurp it up or at the rate you were moving praying that it might blow off! I can't imagine any other teacher wearin' that thing as well as you did!
P.S."Spittle", by the way, is a bit harsh though for what I witnessed...can we come into agreement & BELIEVE for "glisten" for recording purposes? It's worth asking for!
Despite everyone honing in on your lower lip and you not knowing it...
Beth you didn't miss a beat last night! The anointing was strong, great clarity with such an intense lesson & God was glorified!
--You are amazing!---
Our Heavenly Father is crazy about you & so are we--
xox --Melissa Jacobs
www.melissasjacobs@bcglobal.net
I read this originally tonight when I got home from my "A Woman's Heart" study.
I always think to myself: "Self, she sure looks fantastic. She's got it all."
And now I know she's got spittle too! ;0)
Oh how precious you are!!!
Blessings,
karla
after diginee's comment i can't wait to see this study!!!
praise the Lord.
I just have three words for you, Beth.. I LOVE YOU!!! God gave you a great sense of humor!!! At least you didn't have some type of other foreign substance on your face protruding from your nose or something like that. Haha!!! Spittle. Haha!!!
Here it is 1:30 am home from second shift tired and doing laundry, Day Star was a rerun so come to check the computer for any interesting news and I'm laughing so hard my sides are hurting. Now how am I supposed to go to sleep after all that HA. Thanks for sharing. Laugher is like a medicine and that it is, I've had mine for the night.
Okay - I had to google "spittle" and here is what i learned:
spittle - a clear liquid secreted into the mouth by the salivary glands and mucous glands of the mouth; moistens the mouth and starts the digestion of starches
Evidently, it is a good thing if it helps us digest starches girls! Gotta find a way to give God the glory and honor for that one. :)
Did you know the term came from something that a spittlebug secretes? Really, look it up. I have learned far more than I ever cared to know about spittle tonight - but thanks for sharing the realities of your walk with us. We so appreciate your honesty.
LOL...still laughing husterically!! What a mess! I can't imagine how stressful that was to teach while a man is waving violently. How did you not resist the urge to just stop and say "Stop the taping just stop rolling because something is definitely wrong and we just cannot go on until I know what it is"
I do not envy your job after this post, but I will pray in a whole new light!
Love you siesta!!
Oh,Beth, I am convinced that God does a mighty work in your life and hearing your stories I'm also convinced he has a great sense of humor!! Oh, the things that happen to you, girl! I mean couldn't the spittle had been on the opposite side where your girls would have had your back?! Know what I mean? And another thing, only a cameraMAN would be waving and pointing to no avail, we girls could have somehow made you understand, don't you think!?
Thanks for the laugh!
I SAW THE SPITTLE! It was like oozing from the corners...HAHAHA.jk girl. Any consolation I was a few rows from the front:) Funny post but let me tell you, I'm a tv meteorologist and I've had some totally mortifying moments in front of hundreds of thousands! Let's see...oh yes, the sneezes on camera with the desperate need of tissue and the smeared lipstick oh and lets not forget no batteries in my mic 10 seconds out. ARGHH! fun stuff. Just be you. That's who we love! And know that we are always praying for ya girl! "Ask not what you can do for your country..."
Angela
Ah, Beth...I just like to think of you as someone rabid about God's Word and foaming at the mouth! Wait, spittle sound more lady-like doesn't it? :)
Jesus did some great things with spittle!
Kara
I'll be looking for the sweaty boxer wipe-down when we do Esther. I hope they don't edit it out! ;)
The comments I usually hear about you (and your spittle-less appearance) when we do your video studies are more like, "I've missed her!" "She is so stinking cute." "She has perfect skin." "She is so beautiful."
And you ARE so beautiful! Even more so when you share these little funnies with us! Thank you for putting yourself through all that to teach us!
Perhaps y'all should make up a Speaker Sign Language. You know, like in baseball when the bases are loaded and the pitcher starts making those goofy signs to his team mates: two taps under the brim of the hat, a tap with the right pointer finger to the shoulder, a touch of the thumb to the nose. You get the idea....
You could make up spittle signs, and lipstick on the teeth signs, and.....
Hey! and what's a little spittle when you bless us so!
Oh my gosh!! I was there, you my friend are an excellent teacher because I never once noticed anything odd or out of the ordinary (well except for the class lesson)for a minute there my sister and I thought you were going to start cheering with those sticks, but we got it, don't worry your "GP" were with you. So could this be called a peripety?? did you have a peripety kind of event ooohh maybe not, since this was not literary work ;)
Love ya!
That is seriously hilarious! I was sitting right by the camera man and I saw him doing all this but I thought when that guy came up and moved the stand over for the plates that you had fixed it, I didn't realize he was dropping his arms because he was giving up. You still looked precious and I am sure no one will be able to tell! Praise God for keeping us humble and giving us something in common! Although I don't think I have had a case of the spittles myself! ;)
Your a hoot!
Spittle....sounds like such an old lady thing!
And hasn't somebody told your cameraman that you are NOT old??!
I don't know how you do what you do. It is certainly not my calling but I am so glad that it is yours because....
Your "descendants" are too numberous to count!
twkfvueqDear dear Beth,
God does indeed have a sense of humor! I'm so glad to hear He's done similar things with other people. I am not nearly in the public eye as you are - especially with a TV camera(!) But I am up in front of senior adults doing health and motivational presentations. Seniors are such a gracious audience and very encouraging in what they say. Several times after things have gone well and the comments have been especially nice - God has allowed me to do something very silly/downright stupid. One time as I was waiting to present I decided to see if a bouquet of flowers was real and took a big sniff. After the program I stopped to talk to the facilitator and thought she looked at me a little strangely. On the way home I stopped for gas and looking in the car window I wondered "What is that yellow stuff all over my face?" Turns out I did the whole program with pollen all over my nose and the side of my face. No one said anything! - maybe the light was bad... Another time I got lost on the way to a site and walked in late. Again, the people were very nice and really responded well (laughing at all the right places). I was congratulating myself until the person in charge pressed me to take home a plate of goodies with me a glass of punch. You guessed it - I stumbled going out the door - spilled cookies and red punch all over the sidewalk and the shoes of the host! I tried to stay and help clean up but he seemed to want me to leave quickly for some reason! O God is good to keep us humbly dependent on Him and LAUGHING!
We all love you and appreciate what you say and especially who you are.
Becky
this was the funniest thing i've read in a long time! the laughter blesses me so much! :)
Wow! Thanks for giving me a good laugh! My children are doing school in the other room so I slipped away for a quick break. Glad I checked your blog!!! A joyful heart is good medicine....:) That should atleast get me to lunch!!
They could put a red X everytime it appears. And that is not spittle Miss Beth, that is guck. Gross white stuff!! Am I making you feel better?
After watching you talk about your tan coming off in the pool last night and white gross stuff this morning I am for sure smiling this morning!!!
One time our pastor had this gross white stuff and his wife in the front row had a kleenex and she was wiping the corner of her mouth for him to see, he never looked. It was quite humorous...
THE JOURNEY CONTINUES ~
THERE ONCE WAS A TEACHER NAMED BETH,
THE SIESTA'S ALL THOUGHT SHE WAS BLESSED,
THEN A CAMERA MAN WITH A WAVING HAND
HAD HER THINKING HER HAIR WAS A MESS
SHE BEGAN TO FIDDLE
ONLY TO HEAR THAT SPITTLE
WAS THE CAUSE OF HER ULTIMATE STRESS.
Happy Harvest & keep California in your prayers!
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina ~ Cayucos,CA. coast'
KLSAFINA@aol.com
I am laughing with you, for you, at you, because of you...you name it, I'm laughing. I even printed the blog out to take home for my husband to read. I PROMISE you he'll be laughing! :) He thinks you're as great as I do! You hang in there sista, life is funny and we might as well sit back and laugh at all the silly things that happen to us. Wonder what God was thinking during all this? It just occured to me how particularly proud He had to be that you kept GOING! Distracted, curious, confused, it didn't matter...you preached His word and finished that lesson and I know He put a smiley face (with a dab of spittle) on your chart before you went to bed! :) Ok, gotta run...lots of love.
Lisa
Spittle!! The word alone makes me laugh! Add the mental picture you painted and I am all but rolling in the floor! You should have seen all the looks that everyone gave me when I busted out laughing! Thanks for that!! I needed a good laugh today!! Its been a crazy day and its only 10:00 in the morning!
Don't worry, a little spittle could never change the way we feel about you. It only makes us love you more!!
Is it wrong of me to say that I wish I had been there to see the camera man dancing around trying to get your attention? Cos that would have been too funny!!
Please blog about anything and everything! I love the way you tell things. Every post is lovely, whether I cry or laugh til I cry!
Love you a gazillion red skittles!
Nikki
Thanks for sharing those little things that can certainly keep us human and humble. It made me laugh so hard I nearly woke up my 12 year lod son!
the film crew would have a field day with me.
I can't remember reading anything so self-deprecating in a long time! This is fantastic!!!!
Dear Beth,
Thank you so much for the great laugh and for the encouragement. I have been a Christian for a long time, a wife for 7 years and a mom for two and sometimes I feel like everyone else has it together and I am the only one that feels like I'm fumbling around in the dark. Thank you for sharing your life with us.
My sides hurt from laughing at this. But you are right....the WOMEN would have told you!!!
Thanks for sharing this and for laughing at it with us!!
blessings
stephanie
Beth!
I needed that laugh today!! I really did!!! Now, I did "Jesus, the One and Only" study last year, and it was awesome. And this year I am doing "Believing God", and I can notice a "speed increase". So, your spittle may be from you talking faster...hehe!!
The instant I saw the title "He Called It Spittle", I was reminded of how Jesus used His spittle...He made the deaf hear and the mute talk (Mark 7:33)...He made the blind see (Mark 8:23; John 9:6-7).
Thank You, Jesus! You take the most basic elements of our humanity...the stuff that makes us point to and giggle at others and drives us under the table when it happens to us...and remind us that YOU are the great Healer. What a blessing!!
Just remember, Beth - ALL else is forgiven (even spittle!) when you're having a good hair day!! I'm guessing your hair looked gorgeous last night...
My favorite..."I was so hoping that outfit would work on camera but it just didn't. It kind of humped up in the back."
So glad you listened to Amanda!
absolutely hysterical...but i must say that maybe half of us in the audience couldn't see spittle if we wanted to with condition of fifty-year-old eyes...it's not there :) ... a younger mom remarked to me this weekend while watching our cross-country team run that our boys had spit coming out their mouths and landing on their hair...couldn't see that either...when we got two feet from our sons and saw the "spittle" and told them---my son's nonchalant response was: "it's okay, as long as it's not throw up."
you did great with that one man waving at you for so long!!! and this list is absolutely hilarious...just love your self-deprecating humor and that you would share it with us...my family keeps running in the study---"what's so funny?????"
beth, you are a hoot!!!
Oh my word - too funny. Thanks for reminding us that even when things go "wrong", He is teaching us! Thank you for all you do - through your ups and downs (and spittle) - thanks for pushing through all of that to open His Word to all of us. We love you!
I can so relate! I was teaching a televised women's Bible study and my bra strap fell down my arm. I only had women working the cameras but the one in front of me was doing contortions to try and get my attention - like I couldn't FEEL the thing hanging....but the light was out on the camera that was in front so I didn't want to be ON CAMERA pulling it up and didn't know when they would change to the audience shots. I was sweating, trying to teach, eyes darting around like crazy trying to figure out where the cameras were and still trying to keep it together to teach. I finally just stopped, fixed it and started again. But that led to a new dilemma of having to tell the producer - a male - about cutting and splicing the tape and why. You're right Beth....it's humbling and hilarious.
I just can't wait for the Esther study. I will be looking for the "spittle taping." Just makes us all realize that you are human just like the rest of us. I sing on a worship team at our church in Salem, Virginia and we had a guy who used to always ask me to check his nose before we sand. Then he started asking me to check it every time I saw him. He was so funny, but it was always good to have a nose check on the team so no one had any unwanted guests on the face!!! God has such a great sense of humor, doesn't He!!!
I had to put my head on my desk when you wiped down your whole face with a kleenex.... I was laughed so hard. Thanks for sharing sweet Beth.
Thanks for your prayers.
Well Beth, if it makes you feel any better I just had my own embarrassment last week.
It was early one morning and I was still lying in bed when the doorbell rang. I quickly hopped out of bed thankful I had slept in yoga pants and not pj's. I quickly grabbed a baseball cap to cover my "bedhead" and ran to answer the door. I was quite pleased with myself thinking how it must look like I had been exercising because of what I was wearing.
Well, the delivery man kept looking at my face and then would quickly look away everytime I looked at him. I chatted with him for a bit and when I was signing for the package I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he was staring at me again. So I looked up and smiled real big thinking that maybe he was just shy and that's why he wouldn't make eye contact with me. After he left I caught a glimps of myself in the hall mirror.
Oh, the HORROR!!!!
You see.....
I had read somewhere that if you have a pimple you could dab a bit of toothpaste on it to dry it out. Well, I had put on more than just a dab. I had actually put it all over my face as kind of a face mask to prevent any breakouts. If that wasn't bad enough. I had used the blue gel kind!!!
So, yes, Beth I completely understand how "spittle" feels!
:)
Michelle Spillman
A lesson I learned from a friend too sweet to point out the spinach in my teeth:
If someone asks if they have something in their teeth, especially more than once, check your own - they may be trying to give you a clue!
All I can say is "no pictures?"
Cindy
Hey Beth, Shell here. Praying for you sincerely. See I figure if my life has been as tricky as it's been these last few years-and by tricky I mean Like Jaw dropping--REALLY?? This is happening to ME???-then things must get pretty tricky for you too. I was just thinking about how you couldn't possibly teach us so well and Love us so BIG (like we love you too), unless you've been there. I imagine the difficulties involved with the cameras and the photos, the books, the make-up, the travel, the schedule, the food, the routine interuptions,etc...you go girl. I'm proud of how you keep your eyes on God-it's an example to me today. Love you, SHELL
Well Beth I don't know about you but I have totally laughed so hard over these "Spittle Moment" comments. I don't think God did it to humble you, I think He just needed some humor. You are the best!!!
Beth,
What a wonderful person you are!!! You make everyone feel at ease and realize how wonderful God is in the "little" things, by making us laugh. We all need to laugh everyday. Thank you for being real.
What a treat to read after having a busy day at work and really feeling tired and out of sorts!! I can just imagine the intensity of your teaching and trying to be focused and all of a sudden catching glimpses of the cameraman sending out hand signals!! "Spittle"!! I think that would be much better than "spitting" as in "spraying"....wouldn't you agree? :-)
Beth, I so love your ability to laugh at yourself. We can't always take life so seriously, can we? I work in a courtroom and always feel like I am on stage as my desk is on a platform next to the Judge. One day in a packed courtroom I rolled my chair back and it rolled right off the platform backwards, I of course went with it. As soon as everyone saw I was alright there was laughter like you never heard!! I of course was the loudest. God has a way of using us to lighten even the most troubling times in people's lives. They may not want to remember what they were in court for that day but at least they had a moment of lightness. Glad I could help (Ha ha) Thanks for making me laugh today!! Your Siesta in Christ!!
OK, I just hope everyone is reading some of these other blog entries. The woman with the pollen on her face... the broken bra strap. I'm just dying!!!! My husband read this entry too. Dying, we're just dying!!!! I would pay good money to see the camera guy waving his arms and then just give up in exhaustion. My face hurts from laughing!!!
I always say that God gives me TONS of opportunity for humility lest I get too full of myself. Case in point:not too long ago I was at the barn with my daughter and I, the horsewoman that I am, was helping her tack up the horse she was riding for her lesson. She asked me if I thought the girth was too tight and I strongly said no. Not two seconds later the horse fell down! On the ground! Pulled the hooks right out of the wall! I thought I was going to die. I break out in a sweat just thinking about it. Your story reminds me again of why I feel such a kindred spirit with you. Laughing at ourselves is absolutely required in this life and loving the times we actually succeed is just the gravy. God Bless you. Can't wait to study Esther with you!
Hi Beth,
I love that this is my first time to blog (ever) and it's your "spittle" blog. But more important; I am now an official Siesta! I feel honored among "Siestas". Thank you for being really real.
And this, my spittle wearing friend, is why we love you! Blessings.
Jesus used spittle:
"When he had thus spoken, he spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and he anointed the eyes of the blind man with the clay,"
John 9:6
barnabas
Post a Comment
<< Home