Hot Off the Press!
WARNING: If you are in a super-serious mood or have totally conquered your superficial side or hate women who like half-prize shoe sales, please read no further...unless you want ammunition.
Oh, the delight that overtook me in my pale pink chenille robe, white fuzzy slippers, and HUGE bedhead this morning when I slipped my Houston Chronicle out of the clear plastic bag and it fell open to the fashion section with these headlines:
Pretty Sizzles, Sexy Fizzles
Get a load of this subtitle: Designers Get Away From Steamy Looks; Now Cute is In
Can I hear a shout of praise?
Here's just a tidbit of the article: "...something strange has happened with spring 2008 collections: Sex has virtually disappeared. Retailers have used words like 'pretty,' 'cute' and 'flirty' to sum up the looks. 'Steamy' and 'sensual' have been missing from the lexicon...Cavalli - who has long championed tight leopard prints and plunging necklines - was among those leading the charge. Before his show, he said it was time to rediscover the 'innocence of a woman.'"
How about that??? Some of us have been saying it for years and, at least for a season, a few designers might be willing to partly agree: we can still dress cute AND (not but) MODEST!
Hallelujah!! Thankfully, my personal Designer already helped me rediscover my innocence (1 John 1:9) but I am mighty glad somebody out there on the runway might have caught on...if just for a second.
PS. And don't even try to tell me God won't help you shop if you ask Him. (Thank you, Boomama, for your article on the hunt for Angela Cottrell's jeans.) And sometimes He'll help you even if you don't ask. On the other hand, He'll also help you leave that frock on the shelf at times. Like when you're nearly broke or too full of yourself. I've noted that God is not always in the mood to go to the mall. But He was in the mood to go with me to Kohl's discount department store last week. I got such a cute light-weight suit HALF OFF and wore it last night at Bible study. It was $44. What joy! I wore a jacket for $19 two weeks before that from Burlington Coat Factory and was so excited to share the sale with my Tuesday night group that I wore it with the price tag on it.
Okay. I'm done now. And I'm crouching really low because somebody's going to try to smack me for taking up blog space with this entry and, frankly, I don't want them smearing my lip gloss.
(If you'd like to see the good fashion news for yourself, go to Chron.com and look for the fashion section of the October 2nd edition. The paper I opened this morning was actually yesterday's edition because all I do on Tuesdays is Houston Bible Study! Of course, I'm not sure you can tell that from today. I tell you what. I'll head back to Esther.)

195 Comments:
Oh I hear ya! When the funds are available but limited a good sale brings on a "Praise God!" I'm so thankful He's involved in the details of our lives!
Alright Beth. Now I know we are sisters for sure. How I love me a good sale. And as a pastor's wife, I am more than thrilled to know that "cute and innocent" is back in. And God helps me shop alright. He has led me straight to Goody's to the new Ashley Judd collection. If you haven't seen it you need to check it out. I am just waiting for Him to lead me to the money tree so I can buy one of everything!!! I am chomping at the bits to don my Fall clothes and boots! I love being a girl!
I so loved your suit that you wore last night. I was thinking to myself, I wonder where she bought that? You looked cute! I absolutely love a sale and refuse to pay full price unless I am buying jeans so Kohl's is always a great place to go!!
Are you EVEN kidding me? That IS big news. I hope this "cute" fashion trend takes hold, because I personally am tired of seeing women's cracks (top and bottom)!!! It's hot here in East Tennessee and many of these women think that tube tops and daisy dukes are still in style (were they ever really in style anyway?). So, I am praising the Lord that I may be delivered from the peep shows that I am forced to look upon at the mall even if it is just for a season.
P.S. Do you think we could get your newspaper to speak to the issue of men wearing speedos at the beach?
Shopping...something about fall is tough for me because now I have to accept that "what was skinny enough for my shorts is not skinny enough for my jeans"---at least that's my way of looking at it with my self esteem-I hope your time in the woods was a breath for you Beth. I could use a spark of God to ignite my drive today. I am homeschooling my 3 little boys and have yet to figure out if "homeschooling" is one word or two". God and grace---I need both! Have a great start to your week Beth and I'd love some prayers from any and everyone who can spare a minute---searching for some answers on about 6 things over here in NH. Thanks Beth, Love You For You, SHELL
Shoot! Does this mean I can't show my belly button ring anymore?? LOL!
Praise the Lord! I don't condemn you at all for this post!
I am so thankful that this has not had to be an issue in my home with my 17 year old daughter. She is the most modest person I know, not even taking her tshirt off at the beach! But I don't know how other Christian parents do it, having to battle with daughters wanting to wear the latest fashion, no matter how revealing.
Hopefully the tide is turning our direction!!!
Have a modest day!
Robin
I all ways watch what i wear & am so tired of seeing things I would not wear. so anything tilling me I can get something that will make me look the way my Lord wants me to wear I will get.So thanks for shaering that with me. I still cant wait to that bible study comes out.for us in NC God bless you all enjoy life each day as new.God bless love sister in Chrit Victoria
PRAISE HIM!!! PRAISE HIM!!! Can we get some 'Amens' in here? As the mother of two teen girls and the Sunday School teacher of 11 and 12-year-old girls, I can not think of anything to be happier about. I've been chanting "God does not bless 'hoochie'" in dressing rooms around East Texas for several years much to the chagrine of my charges. (I'm just hoping 'hoochie' isn't a really bad word because I learned it from the Sunday School girls!) Beth you are a total SOUL SISTER! I feeeel ya on this one :) Thanks for sharing this!!
Oh Beth!!! Praise the Lord for your antics. You make my day brighter! Thank you!!!!
Yahoo-Jah!!! Mama Beth, you rock..loved this..no wonder Amanda and Melissa always look adorable [I mean, not that dead mice in your shoes won't be in NEXT year ;)] but i have a feeling YOUR cuteness factor was the one that stayed on their fashion chromosomes ;)
"was so excited to share the sale with my Tuesday night group that I wore it with the price tag on it."
...I love you. Just that simple. No questions asked.
and you be safe with that lip-gloss...you "protect that good thing" girl!!! ;)
(is it august yet?)
I must say you are tops when it comes to fashion Beth! I love everything you wear - but i JUST GOTTA KNOW --- where did you get the brown jacket that you wore in the Loving Well dvd - the one where you announced you were going to be a Grandmother ?!? I think that is the coolest jacket ever and I have looked online and in stores - all to no avail. Anyway, your fashion sense is the coolest and I don't blame you, i hate to have the lip gloss touched - not to mention "smudged"!!! Love you dearly, Alisa
Beth - You are too sweet and funny! I'm so happy to hear that designers are getting away from the revealing, sexy clothes. Yeah! I would like to find a pair of jeans like Angela wore, so I guess I will have to find Boomama's post...
Love ya,
Adrienne
Oh He loves us so! How about the joy of needing all new clothes for heading back to work (in a God-centered environment with my preschooler right beside me!)and hitting a staggering number of sales during the summer clearance sales...dress pants..less than 15...dressy tops...8 - 15...over and over...as if a simple smile of blessing for obedience in taking on new responsibility. AND THEN...a darling girlfriend of mine clearing out her closet after leaving a high end corporate position to love on her two babies...giving all manner of adorable clothes that will keep me covered the whole year! Add to that the shoe sales of $10 at multiple stores and you cannot deny the love of a Father for his darling daughters...even in the seemingly insignificant cares of life. What a family to be a part of! Cannot wait to see what the new season brings in life and in fashion...I heard Vera Wang has designed a line for Kohl's...and they have great sales!
Where else could we, with such enthusiasm and appreciation for the blessings poured out on us, discuss such things...only here. :)
Oh Beth, I just love everything you put together! I just have to ask you ... i have prayed for this window of opportunity and i know this is God saying that i can ask this - but the brown jacket you wore while doing the Loving Well dvd, the one where you announced "granny expectancy!!!" i love that jacket so much and have looked everywhere!!! all to no avail. Please can you just tell us where you got it... thanks! Love you dearly! Alisa, your Cheraw, SC girl
Oh - and I forgot to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea that we have a Personal Designer! He has helped me rediscover my innocence too.
Oh Beth, thank you for just being "one of the girls". That's one of the many reasons we love you so. You are such good girlfriend and for heaven's sake, everyone knows girlfriends MUST share important news like that!
Shopping is such a great sport!!
I was reading that SAME article and thought about what you'd said last week about modesty...how funny you wrote this. and by the way....I LOVED that suit you wore last night....it was so cute!!! We need more "cute" around...it is so hard to be a cute, godly woman sometimes in this world of skimpy fashing. I love that cute is back "in." October is also Breast Cancer awareness month and I have found some PRECIOUS pink gear this month...and when I buy it I am doncating to a good cause. It's win-win!!
Have a great day. Love you and your wonderful fashion sense (and for reminding me that CUTE and MODEST CAN go together.) LOVE YOU!
I know I've told you this about eight gajillion times before, but YOU SO CRACK ME UP! I never know what I'm going to find on your blog. I want to have coffee with you so stinkin' bad, you have NO idea!
love you,
Kristi
I love it, I love it. God cres about cute too! Becaue He cares about us. Thanks for the grin this am.
I didn't know you liked to shop. In fact, I thought it only coincidence that the three times we've run into each other out in Houston was well, besides at the usual eating places, at the Galleria the same day Shoppers Anonymous was meeting. Gotta love it. I'm off to Kohl's...Annette
Kohls? You shop at Kohl's?
I never thought I could love you any more..:)
BTW - Kohl's has Vera Wang..Maybe designers have also discovered financially challenged people like cool clothes, too!
Oh the joy of bargains and too cute clothes. I am with you, sista. Thanks for reminding us that although the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31 was clothed in "strength and dignity", the Bible also wrote that she wore "fine linen and purple." Her highest calling was to the Lord of Glory, but she did not neglect her wardrobe, which was carefully chosen to be affordable and tasteful. She was probably a "winter" since she wore purple! She made her arms strong, so she was also into aerobics. At any rate, thanks for the reminder that a spiritually minded woman is always quick to share about a bargain! Blessings.
One of the things I love about you, Beth, is that you are real enough to enjoy the same things as the rest of us! A friend and I are leaving Friday for the big city to do some kid-free, husband-free shopping. I consider this blog entry as God's way of warding off any guilt Satan tries to throw at us for enjoying each other and all the great bargains we hope to find. Thank you! And I hope those cute fashions very quickly make it off the runway and into the stores where the real people shop!
Yay!!!! Beth, thanks for being real with us. I think the blog space taken up was well worth it!
LOL! Beth, you are a treasure. I loved it all. I am so excited! I get to come and hear you preach the WORD in February in Vancouver, BC, Canada!! My friends from church (we all do your studies each year) are coming, and we have a "____ Sleeps till Beth Moore" calendar going right now. Currently, we sit at 148 more sleeps. The trip is my Christmas/Birthday gift to myself. We will ALL be shopping that weekend, and we'll feel happy about it. No guilt whatsoever. Sometimes, I think God just wants you to have fun!!!
Excited in Alberta,
Cara
Hey Beth, I'm right there with you girl. It seems that of late I have been bitten by the shoe bug! My husband just looks at me and laughs. He owns 3 pairs of dress shoes, 1 pair of tennis shoes and he can't quiet understand why the fuss over something you put on your feet. He's always saying "how many shoes can a woman wear at one time?' I think he's about to throw in the towel. But do pray that i becaome more self-conscious and aware of overloading! Glad you're back! I'm glad God has put one like you in our lives to remind us that we're not alone, and we all are faced with the same temptations, small as they be. Love ya bunches Carla Lee
Are you kidding me? For those of us who are just in the busiest times of our lives (Lord - will I ever be bored again) - that information about what ya got and where and for how much is a tremedous help! Actually - I was wondering where you've gotten a chem peal. Never done it - but if it could help my 50 look like your 50- Burn On Bae Bae - Burn On!!!!
HELP US!!!
Last night - bible study - was too much! I wish everybody I knew in the whole wide world could attend this one. Every Tuesday - I leave there desparately needing to break open the oil and pour it out on Jesus' feet in gratitude for the revelations and encouragements and truths....Esther - wow - it's always in the last place you expect it - isn't it.
Mercy.....
Again........
Is It Tuesday YET!
That article was great. I love a great bargain. I love to wear a bargain outfit and then tell how little I spent. I'm a serious garage saler (is that word?) and one day this summer there was a garage sale from a woman who must have been a clothes horse. There was a table completely full of nearly new clothes from Lands End, Coldwater Creek, Talbets, etc. They were all $5.00 and under. It was so wonderful. I lived off that shopping high for days.
Thank you for that Beth! What an answer to prayer--not only for myself, but for my 13 and 11 year old daughters as well. I had a hard time finding the online edition of the article, and so I wanted to give the link here to help anyone else who might be trying to find it, too. Copy and paste the link into your browser and it should take you right to it.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/style/5179253.html
:-)
Shelley
ShelleyHendrix.com
hallelujah!
Annette
Wonderful news! Awesome news! I've been concerned for quite some time about the way fashion was heading. Three cheers to you for sharing such upbeat fashion news with us! (BTW, my robe is white--an all cotton-terrycloth with two roomy pockets that I bought on sale for $30--regular $60!Yahoo-jah!) By the way, wasn't this morning gloriously cool!! (I live 2 hours away from Houston.)Fall here we come!!!
Funny you should mention that today, just returned from a Kohl's store Grand Opening in my town. Yipee! Of course, this was after my Bible study time today.... : )
I am shouting Hallelujah!!Praise God!!! I am all for pretty.( And Pink :-). Praise God!!!!
Love the news! It's nigh on impossible to find cute decent stuff. Praise the Lord and let's enjoy it while we can.
A little joy of my own; I just bought 4 cute (decent!) sweaters, two pairs of jeans and several shirts for $14 dollars at a thirft store. Yee Haw!
It doesn't surprise me that God's not in a mood to go mall shopping. They're such oppressive places; I think he realizes that it's a place where he's not been made welcome.
we just finished the Wising up on Money dvd last night. I was so excited about something this weekend. I was at the mall and found a pair of pants in my size for $4. Well, I said no. Everything is permissible but not beneficial right! I didnt need the pants even though they were $4! Quick story about Burlington Coat Factory. Morgan likes only one kind of passy and guess what the only stinking place that has it is burlington. I look like such an idiot driving there to make my passy purchase and leave! In your words (GAL- grinning a little) instead of LOL!
jenny in alabama
I LOVE your comment about your Designer helping you to rediscover your innocence! That is powerful. I know about it.
By the way, I'm sure you look fabulous in your new *cute* clothes - I hope you got a matching hand bag :)
LOL! You wore it WITH the tag! Love it!
I would have you know that a rather large group of us women are going on a shopping spree this weekend here in MA (as part of the Women's Ministry here at seminary!). Yes mam - there is a holistic approach, and by all means, we can be cute AND modest in Jesus' sweet (and fun) name! :)
You better believe He helps you shop (and to leave a few items on the shelves when necessary!) :)
Love you siesta!
Thanks for sharing... You always look cute :)
Beth,
Just wanted to share something my 4 year old said in the car. Whenever my kids are around and I am watching one of your studies, or a Life today episode, I tell them that you are Beth Moore. Then I follow it up with other statements like, "she is my Bible study teacher, she is my mentor, or she is my friend". I guess it depends on my mood that day.
While sitting in the car a couple of days ago my 4 year old heard your voice (A Quick Word) on the radio. I think he heard your name mentioned too. He then said, "that's Bet Moore" and smiled really big. I got tickled.
Thanks for your continual encouragement to seek God. I am learning so much through the new tabernacle study. It is unbelievable!!!
Much love to you all...
PRAISE THE LORD!!
you are so stinkin cute Beth!
I'm going to be joining you (ya'll) as a newly converted TEXAN soon! (hope I said that right)My husband and I along with our precious two year old son are packing up and moving to Southwestern Seminary in January. I'm so stinkin excited... but a little scared too. Our house is on the market and we've really got to get that thing sold so we can move. Pray for us please!
And THAT is why I love you, Beth. :)
Dear Miss Beth, Ironically I'm choosing your "lightest" blog to respond to. Some of the weightier ones (I do NOT mean to insult) hit home to an extent that I couldn't comment. I read the comments of my siestas and see how you've spoken directly into their lives and wonder how then the message could have been tailor made for me. Sweet Beth, you are a vessel through which our God delights in sending us fresh words. I am so encouraged to learn from you and grow in my passion for the Word of God. He is so worthy of my praise I can hardly find the right words, it is humbling indeed- and in that I want to jump for joy. I recently started Breaking Free and have felt the Spirit of the Lord working, convicting, teaching and comforting. Sometimes it hurts, and I just want a day off! And then He hugs me- how Great is our God? I'm praising His Name today and thanking Him for you. You, my dear, are a treasure and I thank you sincerely.
PS The fashion news is perfect, I can't wait to share it with my high school students- these young ladies need some more cute and I can't wait to prove it to them :) I love you my sister. Blessings in Christ Jesus, Kim in PA
Girl, I have on my Angela-inspired jeans today - found them at Old Navy for TWENTY DOLLARS, and hallelujah because I can bend over in them without damaging my testimony.
I had to give a handclap of praise over your Kohl's/Burlington finds, by the way.
And Old Navy is loaded with cute, MODEST stuff this year...as is Steinmart. Tickles me to death.
Beth,
I can't believe no one has commented on your blog. I get to be first. A little country Lady from Alabama. Praise the Lord fashion is on the change. It will nice to see ladies dressed like ladies. And I also wanted to tell you that I also enjoy a bargain. A couple of weeks ago I went to our local Goody's and saw a cute jacket for $36.00 but when I waited a week I was able to get it for $19.00.
Another interesting tid bite. God will even work to help you get a new Bible if you just ask. I started to seminary in Aug and I have been using my NIV. Really using it's is my mark up Bible. Lots of things this Bible has seen. Anyways, one of my instructors told me about the Nelson Study Bible, the one he has is a KJV. Well, I put my request in with God because he know our finances and low and behold on the next Monday night at Bible study one of the ladies told me about the Crossing book club and if I ordered 3 books they were giving away.....wouldn't you just know it as NELSON STUDY BIBLE the NKJV. So I got me that Bible. PRAISE GOD FOR THE LITTLE STUFF.....
I enjoy reading all your blogs and I get a kick out of your stories.
Thanks for taking the time to read what we have to say and letting us tell you about the blessing that our GOD has given us.
God Bless
Becky
From a little town called
Attalla, Alabama
Always when we need a lift!!! I am so smiling big . . .
I commented to one of my carpool siestas last night - love Beth's outfit!!!! You were, in Texas twang - just darlin' . . .
AND - as God would have it - so "right on" in what you taught us - I about jumped out of my skin many times and it was all I could do not to hit the floor in tears of awe and wonder . . .
I did though, subject my Tuesday, you are stuck in the car because I drive each week, ladies to some "Esther" music on the way home - a wonderful and highly anointed 20 minute tops CD called "Rescue" - they sing all accapella and every song was so Esther . . . "Who will rise and see the thousands to be fed, knowing to you the Lord has said, will you rise?" "I will rise . . . to the occasion . . . I will rise, from my knees and trust the Lord . . . I will rise and magnify the Lord."
Thank you - AGAIN - Beth and Amanda for a needed, and honest, life source for we sisters, siestas, and sister chicks!!!!
Beth,
There are some of us who are thrilled you're taking up valuable space in this blog with such an entry. You always look so pretty and cute, it's nice to know you're down to earth. I love sales. They are good stewardship if you don't go overboard. I needed to be reminded to ask God's advice whenever I shop.
Blessings,
Nancy
Shouts of praise from me, Beth! I have a 10-year old that is 5'1" with a size 8 foot. She wants to be "hip", but modest. I thank God that modesty is back. Hopefully I won't see some of her fellow classmates panties showing when they bend over. Thanks for the encourgement because I often have to pray before shopping for/with her.
Here's a shout AMEN, I'm so tired of seeing all the TRASHY looking outfits because sex sells. It will be so nice to buy something that isn't split down the middle or clean up to the hip. I know there are modest clothes out there and I want them to be just as cute without having to show most of the body. Designers bring it on.
Beth
I love when you share the human side of yourself with us. It makes you approachable, because we know that you've been where we're at and you know, I truly believe that God gives us that. I also am a firm believer that He goes with me to the mall and sometimes, when I find a great deal or just what I am looking for, that He is in the mundane too. God is a God of the details, He cares as much for your bargain as he does your healing. Nothing is too small for my God.
Beth,
I have just recently discovered your blog and have enjoyed reading it very much.
I have to tell you that you looked amazing last night! I was actually wondering where you got that suit. Also, I think that you can take up as much space as you like talking about fashion and such. We are all women, right???
I adore our Tuesday night's together. I am learning SO much and can't wait until next Tuesday!
Thanks for all of your hard work!!
Tammy Hampton
I love it! It's about time! I get so tired of going places and being surrounded with women who obviously are more concerned with being fashionable than being covered! And hallelujah for those of with daughters!
Such a wonderful post! I love cute! I just wish I was, lol. But it is about time that modesty wins out!
Thank you! I love a good bargain and love to "brag" when I get a good price for something. I am horrified when I have to pay full price for things. Not sure what that means, but I do love to shop the sales.
I think it is totaly a God thing and super spiritual! Count me in on the Proverbs woman of finding a good deal, looking it over and buying it!
I love you...I just do!
You make me smile!
'Hope that God continues to brings smiles to your face with wonderful fashion savings.
I am in the "can't spend a dime" stage right now...but fortunately I have clothes that are like-new after having baby Sydney last August...'cause now I can fit in them post-baby :)
Praying for you, Sister!
Well Glory to God!!! I am laughing my head off!!! No one better smear your lip gloss, unless it's Keith.:o)
I was standing by Angela(at Deeper Still) and saw those cute jeans and her to die for red shoes and that woman looks good no matter what she wears.Lici has it going on to! Cute but modest!!
I , too, am thankful for BooMama and BigMama's fashion posts. They keep you in the know.
I think the fashion retailers took your advice, you can be cute but modest! Amen and Amen!!
You are just so much fun!! Kohls, Target, and clearance sales are my best friends. I found a store Ross, Dress for Less and I have found the best deals and the cutest clothes in there. I pray before I go out, God, please help me find everything on sale and He always amazes me.
Pretty Sizzles, Sexy Fizzles. I think I need to make that into a t-shirt!!
Love You,
Patty
You are too cute! I think I lost my sex appeal a long time ago, but I can still be cute and pretty :)
Thanks for sharing, now I have something to look forward to!
I don't know about cute, I'm a recovering tomboy and have not overcome enough to be cute....but modest sounds great!
Just so you know Beth you've been a big help with my embracing being a girl (if at 36 you can still be a girl). I grew up with two older brothers and I always wanted to wear what they were wearing and do what they were doing!
I just flat out don't believe you get those cute jackets at Kohls. The Kohls in Texas just must be better equipped than the ones in Virginia.
Haha! Smearing your lip gloss? I love this post!!! You're so down to earth, Beth. We all love ya!!!
This was GREAT Ms. Beth!! Yep...this is why we love you...the REAL deal is in the building.
Glory to God on your teaching from "A Woman's Heart...." on the Altar of Sacrifice.....I just wanted to go lay on our altar at church and sob. I have been blessed beyond words. I'm in awe over Him right now and I'm clinging to Jesus more than ever.
You've blessed me again....He's blessed me again...
What an answer to prayer and a huge reason to praise Him! I've been so concerned and prayerful about how to dress 2 daughters in this terrible fashion "season".
Glad to see the pendulum is swinging. Now let's just pray that it stays this direction for a good, long time!
Whoa! What a wonderful affirmation, Amen! We just finished this subject last night at our Beautiful Girlhood Bible Study. It is such an important topic for young women (some older women, too) Always funny how God will confirm something, over and over. Love that!
I get the most compliments when I wear my $5.00 boots from Kohls. I bought them in the early summer (last year) and had to put them in my closet to wait out the season, but when I pulled them out last fall, you would have thought I hit the jackpot! Yes, very cute high reddish/brown cowboyish boots. They are simply the best deal I have ever found!
I love that you are all girl Beth. Pink robe wearing bargain hunting GIRL! Authenticity at it's best!
By the way, I'm BELIEVING GOD!
I think that is totally blog worthy! My girls and I (they are 9 and 6) ALWAYS pray before we shop. Especially before we shop for clothes. It's so hard to find clothes that are modest and cute. God hasn't let us down yet! Sometimes we have to look a little harder, but HE always helps us find the best clothes and the BEST deals!!!
I love that you consider us girlfriends to share your shopping finds with! The blog space is definitely being well used.
I heard Joyce Meyer say one time that there are times you're just anointed to shop! Last Friday was just such a day for my cousin and me, a much needed afternoon to play hooky and spend some quality girlfriend time. After a delicious lunch (splitting a Bennigan's Monte Cristo!) we went to the mall and found a parking place NEXT TO THE STORE! I took that as a divine sign His blessings were upon us! Then at Lane Bryant we found the clearance section full of really cute seasonal clothes for either $5.95 or $6.99 each (some of the original prices were almost $50.00!) I had been complaining to the Lord that my budget just couldn’t afford anything fashionable and cute, and He blessed me above what I could have hoped. We finished the afternoon with a drive thru Starbucks on the way home – does a day get any better? Our next trip will be to Old Navy to get the jeans and tops I’ve read about on Boomama’s blog, and now we’ll have to add Kohl’s and Burlington to our trip! I’m so thankful the Lord indulges our feminine desires for cuteness and bargains!
Love ya bunches!
Linda
Love this post! Hope this article creeps into the houses of all teenage girls and hopefully they will also see the sight for teen girls called "Pure Fashion". Great website for modest teens.
FAAAB-U-LOUS!!!
Haven't checked the blog since Monday morning, imagine my DELIGHT, to just see fun and silliness. I love all the pictures! I love to scrapbook, I was already imagining a cute little layout of all those precious 'farmer Jackson' pictures...too cute!
I loved the write up on fashion and the report of the recent fashion finds at reasonable prices.
Jackson pictures-BRING IT!
Silly fashion talk-BRING IT!
You all are just being REAL and I love it!
Noel
Yuma, AZ
:-)
My fashion motto for many years has been...
I love to look CUTE, but I'll be CHEAP doing it!!
I'm praying my daughter (10)will have the same theory, eventually.
Have a great day!
We are sisters for sure,Beth! i love sales and i love cute but modest cloths! you always seem to make me smile! Love ya sister Beth!
I love a good bargain. But I simply must know where you got the adorable skirt that you wore at Deeper Still in Nashville?? It looked like a lacy/fishnet type of material.
Hello Beth!
Thanks for sharing all aspects of your personality, always being so real, and your gift for FASHION that you obviously inherited in one of your chromosomes.
Your entry reminded me of when you analyzed lipstick colors/your favorites on stage at the Q and A question section at the San Francisco Deeper Still Event!
PS: I bet you could make ALOT of money for the Lord if you could just discover which chromosone your gifted fashion gene is on, and then have it mapped with the Human Genone Project!!!
May Jesus bless you today.
love, Amelia
Crackin' up...love the new "it" thing of modesty and cute"...hope it stays in style...
What great news. Beth I love this post although I am a little jealous. I live 2 to 3 hours from any store worth clothes shopping at so I almost never hit a sale let alone a great sale anymore. (I use to live in L. B..) I am so thankful to youfor being real it is so encouraging to me. Kim B. in Az
you know beth, you ARE CUTE, even when you write about being cute and in fashion. maybe just maybe our young girls won't be so pressured. this stinking show all the flesh you got has gone on long enough to be very blunt.
you wore that jacket with the price tag still on? i only hope you didn't yell HOOWWDDEEEE! the younger siestas probably wont get that comment. answer below for you youngins.
minnie pearl
Oh, I am so excited to go shopping after this baby is born!! I hope that "cute" will still be in, in the spring. Even if it's not, I know I'll be "in" with my siestas!
Beth,
I just love you!! You can really lighten the day when needed. I share your excitement for a sale!!
Isn't God so good to us!!!!!
Raleigh Girl,
Laura
Nothing like a good sale!!!And cute,but modest makes it into a great sale!!!I loved to here when anyone gets a great deal like yours...it makes me want to shop, shop, and shop! Some of our best shopping days are when a certain department store sends out $10 coupons.We get the ones the others leave behind...five or six coupons add up!We laugh until we are down right silly...And then we shop until we drop! One time I bought a pair of shoes and the gentlemen just laughed and told me I didn't owe him anything!!!It makes us feel like we can top off a good shopping day with a well-desrved meal!!!
Have a blessed day!
C.Anne
Wow! That is quite a praise! I hope it sticks for a LONG time!
Please, taking up blog space for this is mega super important! Modesty and Cute deserves a praise dance. Especially if the world is falling in line with God's standards, atleast for this moment. Quite a breath of fresh air. Shout is out girl!
Blessings,
Angela
I want to hear about the jeans for Angela and what kind she ended up with...boy, that is a hard thing to shop for...
Stacy
Loved it! That post just makes me want to go shopping, and get a pedicure, and maybe a new hairstyle. I love being a girlie...
I'm right there with ya...... I love the new turn on fashion and oh so glad that modesty is back in style...I don't know if your Kohl's has the same items that mine but I got a cute black short sleeve jacket that is way chic.....
I sure am wishing I could be at the Tuesday night Bible study..I live all the way in Searcy, Arkansas..I know it is WONDERFUL!!
I am way past the age of wanting to have my cleavage showing (it would be practically to my waist anyway). So I was also very shocked and pleased to see the fashion world making a 360 degree turn. Much to my dismay, church is one place where too much cleavage is now showing. Oh, how hard this must be for our poor husbands. They can turn away from the TV but it is too rude to turn away from friends at church. I hope this is a trend that is here to stay. I must say that you are definitely one of the CUTEST bible study teachers I have ever had.
Okay, once I managed to drag myself off the floor, having fully passed out at the realization that Beth Moore shops at Kohl's, I was with you "Amening" all the way to the end of your post.
Thanks, Beth for being so stinkin' funny! That's only one of the many reasons I love you so much, but certainly the one I'm celebrating today.
With much love and laughter,
~Cheryl,
St. Louis
Amen, Amen, Amen,
The outfit you wore last night was forever cute. I am glad to hear that cute is coming back in. I may just need to start reading the paper. I think we have it here somewhere.
I can't remember if it was Salt Lake or Omaha LPL or one of your 3 DVD studies I've done...I think Salt Lake...anyway, you said "You didn't get dressed by accident this morning. You didn't get to work and say, 'How did this get on me'. You dress on purpose." And you made a very big point about, saying "It doesn't mean you can't be cute." I just loved when you said that. I have two girls and I can't tell you the trouble I've had finding modest CUTE clothes for my youngest, and she's 9! And that's been going on for years!
Melana in Wyoming
You are too much Beth. I love fashion, and I love getting things on sale. I can hardly stand to pay full price for anything! I live a few blocks from a university, and the college girls wear such revealing clothes. I really kind of feel sorry for the young men who have to be confronted with cleavage and behinds every time they look up. And truth be told, I feel sorrier for the girls who dress that way. I used to dress that way too. And I know they are doing it because they are trying to get a man to love them. That is not what they are thinking when they put on the push up bra and plunging neckline. But deep down that's all it really is. I try to remember that before I get all indignant. But it can be kind of hard when they go the extra step and put the glitter gel all over their chest.
Sigh.
I love your post. It's great to be a girl. :) I can't wait to see the Esther study videos to see this great suit you got. What week were you videoing so we know what to look for in the future?
So, what did the suit look like for those of us who don't live in Houston? And, for those of us who can't find the old blog - where did Angela get her jeans?
And why shouldn't we be excited over such a victory. I'm sure you know from raising your 2 girls that clothing is impossible. As the latest trends in fashion hit us, they make it just as difficult to dress our sweet little ones in a Godly manner.
Scripture tells us that we are to do "ALL to His glory", I think that could apply to our dress, our spending, our shopping, etc. I just think it's awesome that you are willing to say that you're right out there with us on that one.
You are a precious mentor and a beautiful example, thank you! No waste here! :-)
super-serious mood over here after watching Beth Moore on Breaking Free today...Beth, you are hilarious...you are so adorable...i LOVED your $19 jacket...i really appreciate how modest you always choose to be cause you could fit into anything you want...but even in your dress, Beth, you so honor your King...this post was way too cute about cuteness...never been to kohl's and am so going tomorrow...i thought BCF carried coats...expanding my shopping mission for cuteness...
Alright Minnie Pearl...woo hoo. Out-of-the-norm posts ROCK!!! You can write about anything you want...it's your blog. :) That's what blogging is all about. :)
I don't keep up with fashion 'cause it's just scary sometimes...I caught a few programs of What Not To Wear...and they set some people up with some woo-yikes stuff. I love this post...thanks for sharing...and maybe I'll try to be in style this year. :D
Shopping! There is nothing better and God inspired. I belive He leads us to those great bargins. Remember that Purple (pink and purple are my favorites) is the color in the Bible.
Next weekend I am getting to go shopping, the first time since I have been out to do some since my parents deaths this summer. The last time I went shopping was in May.
You see God is using my sweet little 6 year old great niece's decision to be "Bapatized" as an excuse to go to a bigger town than mine of 15,000 or so....T J Maxx, Stein Mart, Dillards, Penney's....
Thanks for sharing your shopping bargins stories with us!
Some how I can see you in your robe and slippers picking up the paper in the morning.
As the mother of a 12yr girl - you'll get a hardy "Praise God" from me for cute, modest, pretty clothing.
I know God goes shopping with me (some times He sends my mother and occasionally her check book ;+)) - since the middle age spread, I hate to go shopping. The last two shopping trips He placed just the right outfits in the right place and at the right price. It was almost pain free until I looked in the mirror! Why can't the world see me as I see
me, . . . . without the mirror?
I am so glad to hear that cute is back in style! I just love cute and fun clothes! I enjoy all your blog entries, serious and fun! God doesn't expect us to be serious all the time, does He?
Just love 'ya Beth! I am a firm believer in God being not only our life designer but a designer of what we put on when we submit to balance in Him.
I am a chic with a small budget at this season of life and I walk into my thrift stores and pray "Lord Jesus, dress me today. Go before me so I with clothe myslef with you and your choices for me! He is faithful. My boys have prayed for specific brands and HE, so loving and gracious, provided them for under $5.00. Come on and give Him praise! God does not dwell in structures and boxes made by human hands.. He's bigger! He is big enough to be in ALL places of our lives!!! Even shopping! Glory!
Honey, I would never smear your lip gloss for fear my hand would swell... since you're a lip plumper! :)
Tina - Tennessee
Oh Siesta Beth...how I love the sales...I only buy sale...and I like being cute and elegant all wrapped up togehter....loved the picture of you in my mind with your bedhead and fuzzy slippers...we are siestas...
Yes! Yes, yes, yes! finally, some really nice clothes I can wear! And I do most of my shopping at Ross. otherwise I never buy anything full price. Can' afford to, I have 3 kids to feed and clothe. And you people need to move to Idaho. Seasons change much more quickly here. You have to shop all the time. it's great! I'm having a hard time typing because my 5 year old is crawling all over me. I love you all!
Thanks for sharing that article. I couldn't believe the timing on it. Just today, I went to Belk's where I purchased 2 shirts and 1 pair of shorts for my husband and dad for a total of $11.98 (including tax!) I know that was an answer to prayer!! (I'm a stay-at-home with limited shopping money, so I was very excited and give God the praise!!)
You are truly "one of the girls" and that is why we love you so much! One of my favorite stores is having a big sale this week and I have already made my shopping plan. I love me a good sale like a duck loves water. Well gotta go and get my shopping shoes on!
Love ya
Kristi B.
Modest clothing back in style!!! I'm thrilled! The styles have been so immodest in the last couple of years. What a relief! I loved this entry and I LOVE to hear about shopping and great sales. I love your blog and always read it to my husband and we both usually end up laughing and sometimes crying because we're so touched. Thanks so much, Beth, for letting us in our your life and blessing us.
I've had fun this year shopping in my own closet! I really watched what I ate and did a little exercise...and lost 20 pounds. Thank you, Jesus, for the discipline to do this. I feel so much better.
Of course, in addition to the "new" stuff in my closet, I did hit a few sales...
At bible study I did wonder, "Where did she get that suit?" and the black shoes with the thin white stripes that went with the suite with the thin white stripes! You are a totally honest, genuine, sweet, dear, mess. Love you, Allison
aI laughed and then cried as you said...God is not always in the mood to go to the mall, but that means sometimes He does and I am thankful that He wants to hang out with me you know! Not really a superspiritual statement, but after a day like today I needed to be reminded that He likes to just hang out with me! Even to pick out an outfit! I love you!!!! I am so thankful you are part on my life! Tiff
Thank you so much for sharing where you find the deals. You always look so good.
Oh how I'd love to be there for Esther. I'm being so blessed by "A Heart Like His" right now. Each group and video session is so timely. I love how fresh God's word is even when it was taped years ago. Thank you.
Blessings in Christ--
Drum roll, please... Are you hearing me ladies? The Kohl's store in Abilene, TX opened TODAY!!!! Praise God and Hallelujah!
Okay, so this past weekend I was a chaperone on our youth retreat and I had to tell 4 or 5 girls to go change their shorts because they were too short! So Hooray - praise God that cute and modest is in. Perhaps I can copy the newspaper for them. I'm also glad for my middle school daughter - who was NOT one of the ones wearing the short shorts - HA.
Love you Beth. Oh, and I also love Kohl's. I think I'm always a year behind the fashion because I get so much at their great end of season sales to wear the next year. Not that I'm a big fashion diva or anything.
Karen
Thanks for the encouragement! Hope you're doin' well. Love you.
Sale...Hmm, I think God totally created the whole term.
He is so great like that:)
I saw your Jacket on Life Today last week, the green one, ab fab lady:)
I have to tell you that I am more modest these days...
Thank you for being that example.
(some of us still have the mom's that tell us to strut our stuff
Not to mention how many times to go on a date before..I don't think I even need to say it.)
Be Blessed:)
Angie
I know what you mean when you say that sometimes the Lord wants to take us shopping, and sometimes He just wants us to stay home (or leave the wallet at home)! There have been times when He has disciplined me for going shopping without His permission. However, when He does go with me, it's a blessing! I just ordered a jacket online, only to find, when I got the receipt in my e-mail, that it was on sale (unadvertised) and the price was actually $25 less than what the website said! Woo hoo!!!
yeah baby - love me some deals. funny thing - i just blogged about shopping this morning. different tone, but still shopping. love the "real" posts like these!! Helps to know you even better. thank you for letting us peek in your awesomely stylish closet!!
Have a fantabulous day!!!Leigh
I love being a girl! AND I love that my daughter enjoys dressing up. She even wore her dangly earrings (clip, of course), 2 beaded necklaces (one white stars, the other plain pink beads) and carried her blue shiny purse with the feather on the front (hanging off her forearm) to go grocery shopping on Monday! She also has an "in" with the ladies at our Starbucks in the grocery store. They see her coming and mix up her special little "latte" - a demo cup of milk with some whipped cream and cinnamon dulce sprinkles and a short green straw. She will say as she enters, "I need my latte today, Mommy." The baristas get a big kick out of her, as do I. I only hope her training sticks as she grows. :) What a delight!
This is so funny and goes along with this stylin'post...
Yesterday during Wednesdays with Beth, my 3 year old son walked in to the room and noticed his "girlfriend" on tv! The first words out of his mouth were..."I like her hair!" You need to know how unusual it is for him to say something like that. I've never before heard him comment on somebody's hair! I laughed so hard at what an appropriate comment that was for him to make! And then to read this post about lookin' good. Definitely a laugh moment from God.
Blessings,
Kelli
You are SOOOOO cute! I just love the fact you wore it with the price tag still on. I was just at Kohl's yesterday and scored me a blouse for $5.20.
Praise His NAME!!!!!
Modest is in!
I moved from Savannah to Boston - I didn't really go for showing midrifts and short shorts before, and its LESS than sensible to wear that kind of stuff in the cool New England air....
Now we can be:
COVERED
AND
CUTE!
I'm so thankful you are REAL! I've looked my whole life for someone who is REAL about themselves and God! I praise God for you, Beth.
Now, if we could only get our teenagers to begin discovering the "under" in underwear!!!! lol
Have a great day!
Well, it's about time! That news makes this fashionista one happy shopper! I have still never been in a Kohl's! We have a fairly new one in our area that I have yet to check out! I have 3 yr old, so I usually only hit my tried-and-true favorite stores :)
Thanks for sharing! I'll be on the lookout for this new trend.
Love, Sarah, TN
Oh Siesta! How I wish I could hop over to my Kohl's and go in search of new fall shoes... but my sweet Lord has me knee deep in a fast from all spending on unneeded items.... only cause we have some buizzznesss to get down to. Too much stuff in my closet and not enough Holy Spirit in my day.... I am so excited about the turn in fashion perspective.. It was terrible shopping for homecoming dresses for my twin freshman baby girls. Have you seen what is out there? We had to HUNT like a Keith Moore! But we found some cute stuff... of all places JCPENNEY! Whew! Thanks for being so real about what you wear! Being unbelievable gorgeous and thrifty looks amazing on you. Thanks for the sweetness and hilarity. I sure do love how you have poured into my life!
Ya' ladies are all so crazy! Don't disown me, siestas, but I can't stand shopping. I'm the one that goes every 2 years and darts into the store & grabs the first thing that might work. Oh well, as long as I'm on a student budget it's probably good if my taste buds don't go lovin' shopping. I love it when people like you clean out your closets though - hand-me-downs are just dandy ;) Enjoy yourselves!
Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love you more...
Wonderful post, Beth!! I was just saying a few weeks ago while shopping at Old Navy with my daughter that someone has been praying for the fashion industry. Praise the Lord! \0/ He hears our cries even when it is about clothes, and sometimes the lack thereof!! Thank you for your sincerity in serving Jesus. A sister in Christ without a blog. Patti
Beth,
I love it...you shop at Kohl's! I'll share my additional 30% off coupon with you if you come be my personal shopper before it expires!!
Amanda,
Oh what a joy to see the photos of your husband and son doin' up the fair together. Been there, done that...it 23 years of photos of my guys, Mom is in a handful of them, but that's ok. Put them in some sort of album right away!! I am playing catch-up to make a high school graduation gift for one of my sons right now and its overwhelming. A joy...but overwhelming.
How do we find the story of the jeans?
Oh - I'm rejoicing! I LOVED this post. I believe God cares about every detail of our lives - even clothes!
Loved the "left the sales tag" on your outfit comment. Thanks for starting my day off with a smile!
All of this on the day my city opens the brand new Kohl's! It must be a sign from God!!!
Ready or not, here I come!
-Marti
I was shopping this summer with my 16 yr old niece, trying my best to keep her shoulders covered. She loves the cami tops, so I was looking everywhere for cute t-shirts to go under them or little shrugs to go over them. My reward - I found 2 really cute pair of jeans for $1.99 each!! Talk about not wanting to take the price tag off!! What an encouragement after a somewhat challenging day!
God is good all the time!
Susan
Oh I love a bargain. I scored some Ralph Lauren sunglasses at TJ Maxx for $15. I don't think I have ever enjoyed a pair of sunglasses more.
Telling everyone about my find gave me almost as much pleasure as wearing them! It is kind of like when my husband catches a big bass. The telling is almost as much fun as the actual event.
love ya- zoom
Oh Miss Beth!! How you make me laugh!! I would have loved to have seen you wearing a price tag! Should we start calling you Minnie Pearl?! (For those who don't know Minnie Pearl was a Grand Ole Opry star who always wore a hat with the price tag still hanging on it!)
I love shopping at Kohl's!! A few years ago my sis and I were shopping for some shoes. She was looking for some black dress shoes. We always head right to the sales rack and she found a pair that she absolutely loved. The best part was that that they were on sale. For $7 and it was the last pair. Of course they fit perfectly so she grabbed them. I didn't find anything but I was happy for her. When we get to the register, she just handed them to the cashier and we continued talking. When the cashier told her how much the total was, we both just stopped. The shoes rang up for $2.50!! We couldn't believe it!! Thats why I love Kohls! You always find a deal!! She still has those shoes last time I checked.
Hope you have a blessed and loverly day!!
Love ya, siesta!!
Well, Praise the Lord!! I am so glad to have decent clothes back on the racks! I have never been one to "display" myself. I love cute and innocent!! I will enjoy it while it lasts and pray that it lasts a long, long time.
Sista Beth - you always look like a million bucks no matter what you wear!! Love Ya!!
I have personally known that "cute" is in, for 41 years, the others, not US, are just SLOW! I have also, occasionaly asked God to grant me a CUTE hairstyle, the bigger the better! Praise HIM for creativity and differences, Bargain sales, cute and modest looks, and this wonderful up-lifting comment by our fearless BETH!
Debbie in South Carolina
Beth, Darlin' - I just love you to pieces! I'm giggling all the way to my quiet time :)
I am saying Amen!! Among my children I have two daughters and it is so hard to find clothes for them that doesn't say, look at my body. I am so glad someone is listening. If we all stopped buying the "sexy" stuff, then their sales would go down and they would be forced to have cute pink clothes!
(Is there any other color?)
Ooh! Kohl's is my FAVORITE store! One opened here in Longview Sunday and I haven't been able to go yet! And I have a $10 coupon! Hopefully this weekend. I guess I better make sure God is in the mood, huh? Thanks for that! That was a word in itself.
Hey Beth, I have thought that for years. Leave some mystery, don't show them everything. I'm a woman with plenty of cleavage I could show, but thankfully for a God fearing mother, was taught not to reveal and I have never been able to willingly show cleavage. I Love that cute is in...now can we get the sayings off the rear ends of little girl and teen pants!!!!!
Thank you for taking up blog space with these comments. I loved them!
We don't have a Kohl's where I live, but about 25 miles away is a shopping area I love to go to. There is a Kohl's & Marshall's right there next door to each other. On down is a Super Target...Star Bucks....Panera Bread....Sam's Club. When I go there, I love to go all by myself and I just shop and shop.
God has blessed me several times lately while shopping. Recently I just needed some tops to wear with jeans & slacks and was having such a hard time finding something long enough and not so tight. God blessed me and helped me find five adorable shirts and blouses. I wore a different new top every day for five days and it was so nice.
I really believe God is concerned with what concerns us. One other time I desperately needed a new dresser in my bedroom. I prayed and told God I didn't need anything fancy, just somethig that wasn't falling apart. My sweet husband had been working & helping a guy and with this extra money he picked out and brought home a surprise entire bedroom suit. I hadn't even complained to him, he "just knew." God is good and I love Him for all He does for me....big & small.
I also pray for parking places at the mall or almost anywhere especially when I'm alone. It's not that I'm lazy, it's for safety reasons, and He always provides.
I'm going to look up the article. Thanks for sharing.
132 Comments! Bloglines is just showing this post new today. Now how is that for news a day late!
Love this article. And...I think, somehow, it is VERY ESTHER.
I loved that movie on her...she was portrayed as the girl with inner freedom and beauty, though I'm sure, outwardly, she was a knock out.
Praise Jesus - cute is in! Oh how I have prayed for a change in the styles! Modest is pretty!
I love a good sale! Being a good steward!
I love that a bunch of girls can gather in the name of Jesus and still be able to talk about clothes!!!
Touching up my lip gloss! :)
GURLLLLLLLLLLL!
YOU fashionista YOU !
You're just so Stinkin' Darlin'! All the things we love most cute clothes that cover us & on sale no less.
Can we all say Amen to San Anton in August and much much shopping with our Lord's blessin'.
Giget
Beth - there are the cutest little college girls in our bible study that always say, "Mrs. Jan, what is Beth wearing tonight?" before we crank up the DVD. Yes - cute is so important and you balanced it BEAUTIFULLY in your Daniel study and "Babble on in Babylon."
Girl - you are so REAL. You are what this crazy mixed up world needs!!!
Intelligent, articulate, authentic witnesses for Jesus Christ! That's you, Beth!!!
Cute, lip-gloss wearing, Word-knowing, Jesus-honoring WOMEN OF GOD! That's you, Beth!!!
As Andy Griffith says, "You beat everything, you know that?"
I love you!
Jan in Georgia
I LOVE this Post! I'm a Plus Size Woman...and it's always hard to find clothes that "fit" properly! Also, recently I lost about 75 lbs...God does help you shop. Several friends kept saying I should go to Lane Bryant...I must have heard the name Lane Bryant for weeks...so I finally broke down and went. I purchased 5 pair of jeans and one pair of cute black pants for under $200! I just LOVE a great sale/bargarin! Thanks for the great post!
Thank you Beth for making me laugh as I wait yet another day on my agency to be accredited for adopting my daughter from Russia.
http://russiansingleadoption.blogspot.com/
SISTA! God goes with me to the mall EVERY time, in fact, one busy Christmas season He even gave me a parkin' spot right at the front!! Power of prayer people!! teehee
Beth,
I love, love, love this post about clothes. During my first Beth Moore study, I started praying that God would make me His classy woman - because YOU were/are so classy. Before seeing you, I thought it was practically ungodly to look so nice!
Thanks for being authentic with us and telling us about your great buys. It helps me to know that a beautiful look is possible for everyone. I had wild imaginations that you probably had a personal shopper to make you look so fabulous (and maybe you do -- and there's nothing wrong with that!). :-)
I love how He speaks through you to remind us that He is interested in every aspect of our lives!
What a loving God we serve!!
Speaking of homecoming dresses, Dedra - my niece found a great dress at Target for $12.50! It was a shiny gray that covered her whole top, sleeveless, but covered her the area under her armpits, and the skirt hit below her knee...and she loved it. It was a sweet, sweet dress. She was going to pair it with a cardigan and shoes she already had...she's a frugal one already, and oh, so stylish.
my weakness is shoes.....my husband can be heard from FL to TX shouting a great big AMEN! ...and a good sale is enough to make you want to shout! I'm so thankful God made me a woman!! I love 'cute' and am saying 'YES!!' to the fashion industry getting a clue! (as you said, even if for a season)
I cannot wait to take part in the Esther study!! Continuing to pray for you!!
Cute!! I love it. The way I see it, if I go shopping and buy a pair of $90 jeans for $20 and a $40 blouse for $10, I just saved my husband $100!! :-) (Who says blonde's can't do math?)
Also, to Stacey from Searcy:
My dad's side of the family are all from Searcy, Arkansas and many still live there. My great uncle used to own the John Deer place there in town...small world!!
I needed this smile today. :)
You are too funny! Thanks for making this stay-at-home mommy feel loved! I am so happy I found your blog!
"I enjoy being a girl!" sung really loud with a certain Texan by my side :) Thanks for making me smile!
Thank you Lord for Beth! She is the "cutest" thing there is. This is why I always say that even though I may not know her in this life, we will have eternity to catch up ~ ya know, being neighbors and all!!
You know, I've been thinkin' about "Bethlehem" from Denver...and I began to wonder if my friends ever jokingly and behind my back called me the "Holly Spirit" or "Hollier than Thou?"
That's all. :) Love you!
You truly are a girlfriend to us all, whether we have ever met you personally or not. A brand new Kohls opened in our community this week and I visited it three times the first day to make sure I didn't miss a bargain.. Now you have to keep in mind.. we are a shopping-choice- deprived West Texas town so this was BIG. I made a comment to one of my friends that I thought Beth would understand our excitement (see, talking about our girlfriend we have never met-ha!) and she reminded me you were the one who said about bargain shopping "less means MOORE". Oh, and by the way, I can't wait for Esther!! Hope you had a blessed time writing last week. Can't wait to see you at the Life Today taping next weekend.
With price tag on....Minnie Pearl move over (boy is that one dated).
And I can say I have never met a clearance rack I didn't like. Best deal...my sweet daughter, she found an adorable skirt at Nordstrom Rack for $.01 (it had been missed price)...did I teach her how to bargain shop or not?
Praise the Lord and pass the lip gloss!
I had such an awesome shopping trip with my sis this summer that I wasn't sure if I should repent or rejoice! I chose the latter. :)
I bought several items this summer at Old Navy that were on sale. When I went to put them on, to low cut or to short. I had to buy extra to cover, I know I should have tried it on before I bought it. So I am excited about cute and not sexy. Beth by the way we are doing the study on Daniel, what a revelation to todays events going on. You are my Father's daughter.
Judy-With Him
PRAISE GOD!!! How great it is that modesty is finally back! I was so excited this summer when I went shopping with my daughter (who lives in Hawaii and was visiting her mamma in Oklahoma) and the items she bought were all modest and adorable.
I love sale stories and never thought about asking God to help me when I shop. What a great thing to do. That will now be a part of my shopping ritual. Park the car, turn off the engine, spend a few moments with my Heavenly Father asking for guidiance (and not just to the great sales) in all my choices. My husband will be thrilled I know. I can't wait to see your new outfits on the Esther videos.
Hallelujah! I might just enjoy going to the mall now. I just got so tired of plunging necklines and plunging waistlines and all the rest of it that I didn't even want to shop. I love me a "cute" outfit!
Thanks for the info, Beth! You have a great day now!
Aw, Beth! Yeah, some people would be sure to disagree, but I am so encouraged by this! I'm on vacation without my kids and there's a HUGE mall across the street and God is telling me to go shopping with Him... He has to tell me b/c I don't like shopping. I'm missing that gene, I guess. But God is good and maybe He has something in mind for me. Thanks for the encouragement! :)
I love when God and I go shopping. I always get the cutest clothes for such a good deal :)
God loves to make us smile doesn't HE!!
God bless,
kim
Beth thanks for the giggle. You have such a wonderful personality! I am almost always blessed by your witty sense of humor. Thank you so much for your willingness to yeild to the Holy Spirit so God speaks to us through you. I pray for you often, thanking Him for you and His blessing and anointing on You...I just wanted to thank you dear sister. You are much loved and appreciated!!
HAHA! Preach on sister, preach on! Thanks for being so real and fun!
I recently left my very lucrative corporate job to pursue my dream career as a writer and a musician. I did not work all summer, and as such, I had to cut shopping for clothes and shoes out of my budget. OUCH! The right sole of my favorite black sandals is literally coming off, and the right toe loop on my favorite brown sandals just broke. And yet, I have managed to resist temptation, as I have hobbled past countless 75%-off shoe sales for the last month. Oh the agony!
But seriously, I just started working again, and although it is part-time and nowhere near my previous salary, I do plan to make a stop at Kohl's to pick up just a few things. It is indeed possible to enjoy shopping and still be good stewards with our money!
I am THRILLED to hear that cute and modest is back in style! Praise God! Let's hope the whole hoochie look is gone for GOOD! Let it go the way of acid-washed jeans! ;-)
Thanks for the delightful post! Not a waste of space at ALL!
Born to Shop, Forced to Work,
Kristin
What visuals you give us Miss Beth!
I love reading all your blogs; but this one made me laugh-out-loud.
Thank you for taking the time to "talk" with us!
Oh how fun!!
I am just seeing this today because Oct.3 when this was posted was my birthday! and I was too busy shopping at Kohls!! God blessed me with some really cute stuff and at a discount! So I had to go over to DSW and get shoes and a bag to match!!
Happy Birthday to me!
I got to wear it all to my bible study Thursday morning and got some really nice compliments, a really nice boost for my flaling self-esteem. Not as good of a boost as some of your studies give me Beth, you have been such a huge blessing in that area of my life, helping me to get what God's perspective is on me and how crazy He is about us all! God Bless you!
Thanks for being human! and a woman! I read this last night and when I was in the Super Walmart this morning I gave a prayer of thanksgiving for you! They have great new stuff - that I'm waiting to buy. I'm waiting for that sign from God that we have enough in the budget for it. BTW, Walmart has just re-done their clothing line, so don't forget to check it out this fall.
Peace, Kim in Apex, NC
All you sweet siestas just crack me up! And what can I say Beth, but I love you so!! You know I've always thought in Romans 8:28 where it says God will work for the good of ALL things for those who love Him and have been called according to His purpose has to include a good sale, right?! :)
You all are too fun ~
Kristin in CA
I'd love for you all to check out my family blog at www.hawkinsquared.blogspot.com
He has promised me He will heal and help me 'rediscover my innocence' someday, too. I pray that day is soon. And with 2 pre-teen daughters - praise God for some cute, modest clothing to choose from!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. God always finds a way to touch my heart through your words.
Ok, I do have to admit...I hate to go shopping! And yes, I am a female (and proud of it, too!). But shopping is just not my thing!! I only go when I absolutely have to and then it's to get what I'm needing, nothing more! (Am I weird?!?!?)
But I am thankful that someone has "seen the light" about today's attire for women...It definitely needs to change for the better!!
oh yeah...love a sale!! my sis-in-law used to tease me all the time because i'd come home with several new things from t.j. maxx, academy, marshall's, etc.!! i'd always say, "guess how much this was!!" her usual response was, "$10!!" that is always my magic price...if it's THAT cheap...i've got to get it!!! haven't been shoppin' much lately, but i'm sure it will be the same standard when i'm able to go again!! just might be shoppin' for my girls instead of me!!
and praise God for the sexy to cute change!! always feel much more comfy in cute!!
talk about cute...just got back from seeing Pricilla in Irvine, CA. Friday night she looked like an angel with white pants and a white flowing blouse. Absolutly Stunning! Pricilla taught with power and authority from Exodus and Joshua. You would of been very proud of her! Can't wait to see you in San Diego. Do we need to wear pink? love ya, ann jones
I saw a new book today by Sue Buchanan titled "the bigger the hair, the closer to God." Made me think this might be a life manual for some of us who shall remain nameless!
I'll tie this in with saying how CUTIE-FIED my Angel SIESTA was yesterday. This lady was so pretty!
I was in the waiting room at a pain management center for my husband. I was concerned for all things to go well. I needed the peace of God to be all over that proceedure. All over my husband, the doctor and me.
While my husband was getting checked in...I looked for the bathroom. I stood there in awe. There was a beautiful lady. I saw her there with her Bible open and her Bible Study A Womans Heart...God's Dwelling Place in her lap. I felt our SIESTA HOOD immediately. I said...I'm in that study too! She said with the most passion "I WILL NEVER READ HIS WORD THE SAME WAY AGAIN" Oh the joy in her voice. Oh the joy my soul felt as I identified with her.
Since my husbands injury, he's had several surgeries and all the issues associated with being on pain medication. He was injured on the flight line putting a generator in a F-15 Fighter. It fell and it hit him in the crook of the neck. He works hard and I love him so much. I hate that he's ever in pain.
Anyway. I was pretty emotional yesterday morning. I've been asking God to help us with all of this. I asked my husband if we could move and go sit somewhere else. He said...sure so we moved and sat across from my SIESTA.
I wanted so badly to ask her to please pray with me. I would have, but I was afraid I would blubber all over the waiting room chairs! Instead, I looked at her and asked the Holy Spirit to say a prayer with her for us.
About an hour later I went back to that seating area. She was gone, so I just sat right there where she had been. I felt like the presence of the Lord was already there, I wanted to sit there!
I had the most powerful peace pass over me. I know God put her there to take away my fears. I know she was there to build my confidence up in HIM. I don't know her name, I'll always call her my SIESTA ANGEL. \o/ PTL
Beth, I am all over cute and innocent...and for Pete's sake let's bring back the word "class" :~)
My dear sister, I just hosted a Loving Well Retreat this weekend in our church--what a weekend! I laughed outloud, cried, and felt loved!
The Spirit was very present and we were challenged to love with insight!
I am so thankful for your ministry and feel so blessed that I have had the opportunity to serve my God this weekend!!
Thank you!
Amen, Amen! Not only can the Lord lead me to a good sale, but He can find me the right parking spot on the way in. . .which is VERY important since I'm hauling 2 kids and usually talking on my cell at the same time!
Cute blog!
Brandi
www.homehopeandfuture.blogspot.com
I LOVE to find great sales! You know the styles have been bad when it's been hard to find modest clothes for my 5 year old!! Let alone clothes for me(I'm very short so I usually have to shop in the junior section). So I'm excited!! If only my budget would go along...
It is such a blessing to have your mama sayings reinforced by such a goldly lady and fashionable lady, like you Beth. Hip but modest!! I would always tell my girls growing up that we will dress classy not trashy because classy never goes out of style! Some years it was thin pickens but God blessed. When we try to clothe ourselves with the world's fashion we look out of place. Because we are not of the world, no matter how we try, the clothes just don't 'fit'. Only when we clothe ourselve with Christ do we look in fashion.
Thanks for the heads up on Kohl's cause we are getting one in WA and we were wondering what it was! Now we know :)
mk
O Praise Jesus for this news! I am so tired of convincing (or trying to) our youth girls that they can be cute AND modest...now, hopefully this trend will hit the midwest (specifically our town) and for a little while, I won't have to fight that battle with them!
Cute is always in! So glad the fashion police are now having to admit that. The LM Blog is so on top of things in all areas a girl needs to know (spiritual and otherwise)....that is one reason we all keep coming back for Moore (pun intended ;-) Jill
Wow, Beth, I just came to your blog for the first time. You must be SO BLESSED by all your readers!!!
I was so grateful to be able to see you in Denver a couple of weeks ago. Dang, girl, I will be chewing on Asher for A WHILE!! Thank you so much for pressing on and being obedient. I know many blessings come from God when we obey Him and I also know it can be very exhausting. So THANK YOU for obeying Him even when you might not have felt like it. Your studies have opened my eyes to the intense love God feels for me, little old me. Now I can't survive long without eating and drinking His Word. It is truly my fuel!
Hey Beth!
I was feeling a bit emotional today-I'm glad you posted something random-clothing of all things:)-to help me get out of my funky, "emotional woman" mood.
Your post reminds me that there is a time and place for everything under heaven: a time to be serious, a time to be silly, a time to be emotional, and a time to be sane; and there is definitely a time to shop for cute, modest outfits!:)
Love ya my siesta-in-CHRIST,
Katie G. from Knoxville
Hi,
I know you've gotten over 150 comments to this posting, but I had to tell you about my Prescious, Darling Husband, Jim.
Yesterday, we went to Wal-Mart, and I remembered at the last minute that I need a new winter purse because I am going to visit my parents next week...and I've still been carrying around my white one!
And so my husband was standing in this long line...and I rushed over to look for that one perfect purse...and I found one that wasn't necessarily fashionable, but would be totally practicle for a trip. But, by the time I rushed back to my husband, he had already checked out...and it was just too crowded to wait in line again...so I put it back and walked dejectedly out the store.
Now today, my husband and I went back to Wal-Mart to look at paint colors, and I remembered my practical purse and went to see if it was still there. My sweet husband was there looking through rows and rows of purses trying to help me...and after a long while, I asked God to show me if it was still there--and there it was! (I know God was saving it for me. Thank You, El-Roi, our God Who Sees.)
But then my eye spotted another purse, which was very fashionable, but not as practical, and my husband stood there so patiently holding my white purse while I pose with the practical purse and the fashionable one.
And my dearest man solved my problem by suggesting I get them both!
And, I just have to tell you one more instance of my husband's sweetness! Last weekend, we traveled an hour away because our small town doesn't have much for shopping, and my husband stood in Old Navy while I tried on many sweater-jackets...and he watched while I modelled each one and then told me his favorite.
I was hoping for at least two pretty sweaters, so when we drove over to the mall, I offered for him to just drop me off and pick me up later so he could go to some home improvement man store because I felt so sorry for him...and you know what his comment was? "Darling, there is nothing I'd rather do than be with you!" (Sigh!)
Needless to say, my love tank has been overflowing ever since!
Thank you for letting me share my moments with you. I've been following your Blog for a long time and have tried to respond a few times, but I never knew how.
Bless you and your most beautiful family (your grandson is a doll baby!)
Love to you all.
Kandi Parry
Montrose, CO
What a fabulous entry! :) GREAT news, and very fun to read! :)
The Journey Continues~
I just returned from shopping in San Francisco and did I get some great deals. I am wearing Ross, St. John with a cute little spatula in hand from Williams Sonoma. I am thankful that the Lord helps me to be content with whatever we possess and protects us from the foolish le that "more" brings happiness. The "good life" is found in clothing ourselves in the richness of GOD.
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina ~Cayucos
I'm so thankful to hear you, too, love a good sale! It blesses my heart. And I'm delighted to know designers are making a much-needed transition toward cuter, modest clothing. I honestly put on a dress for church yesterday and wondered if it was appropriate. I ended up pinning it across the chest, which I'm sure was quite obvious, but at least I was covered. I'm worn out with all the pinning and pulling and wondering if a cami is needed or not! Thanks for sharing this post...and Hallelujah for a new day in ladies' fashion! By the way, Kohl's just opened here in my hometown last week...I'm ecstatic!
It is so refreshing to be told that it is ok to be a woman of Christ and "girly" too. It seems, at least in the circles that I've been exposed to in the past, that the idea of a woman who owns more than 2 shades of lipstick can't possibly love God. Oh how I've felt like a rebel with my drawer of cosmetics and hair product! Thanks for confirming the notion that it is possible to follow God and own a curling iron!
I believe it is true that there is a certain sense in honoring God in our looks; and it is important to find that place of freedom between vainly advertising our sexuality, and diminishing or hiding the beauty God expressed when he created each of us. Thank you Beth for being a leader for women who are searching our that place of freedom!
Blessed by you
what happen to your early comments, Oct 1 and before??? just curious, no need to post, allison
If only I can feel pretty and feminine in my slightly plus size. I was clapping very loudly when you mentioned "I am a size 2 but there is a 1 in front of it" a few weeks ago. AMEN!
I was a size 2 before I had my children. And now, am a size 12. My brain will always think I am a size 2, which is hard when you are clumsy and awkward in a size 12. There is a disconnect.
So, my prayer is that we can all find our femininity and grace in whatever the vessel the Lord gives us.
So I'm a few days behind on this one but when I read Hadassah's comment about the college girls I had to chime in. This is happy news all the way around. My husband teaches & I work at a Baptist university in Arkansas. One morning parking my car I saw a girl get out with a VERY skimpy jogging outfit on. Immediately I prayed "LORD, do not let her be going to Tim's class!!!" He told me the other day that he got mooned again in lab. I loved Boomama's phrase that she could bend over & not damage her testimony. I'm going to suggest my husband add that to his syllabus!
Hi Beth,
I am so glad that we have a God that cares for us so much, even enough to let us find great sales. He understands that our need to look cute is just how He created us. I am constantly in awe of His provision! Thank you for sharing your life with us. You are such a hoot. I feel like I know you personally. We are currently doing "Wising Up" and it is incredible.
Oh, I am just reading all of these comments and wanted to say.....all of us girls are going to be in Heaven together, and, if I may say, the cutest we ever looked! Now, I don't know how it works in practical terms, whether we can hang out at each others mansions or what, but can you imagine?!
If I never meet you all down here, I'm looking forward to the big siesta reunion up there....lol
Ruth x
Hi, Beth, beloved Siesta in Christ. Just wondered if you liked the western, breast-cancer-awareness shirt. It would be great to see a photo on the blog if you like it/it fits/etc.
You are amazing . . . and all of your wonderful outfits, too!
Sales are definitely God-ordained!
Ann in VA
Love this! When will frumpy be in? :)
http://realworldmartha@wordpress.com
The famous pair of jeans, 7 jeans, and citizens of humanity, if you have not expereinced them or heard of them you must. Citizens are the best pair of jeans I have ever worn. They have great fit and give. They can make an size and shape look amazing. Typiclly the jeans range anywhere from $98-$200. Who wants to pay that for a pair of jeans. I just found out that TJ Max and Marshalls get several styles of these jeans every month or so and sell them for around $19.99. Check with your local store. They are some of the best jeans on the planet, and for that price...who wouldn't give them a try.
Post a Comment
<< Home