Wising Up in Houston
Hey, Dear Ones! Thank you so much for praying for the launching of our Houston Spring Bible study! God brought us a fabulous group of women and, even more vital than that, He brought us Himself. We sensed Him there from the time we arrived to pray over the empty sanctuary. God constantly reminds me when I'm so tempted to beg Him to show up that He is the initiator of all things faith. He is the One who invites us to Bible study. Not the other way around. Our part is to, in turn, invite Him to come in power and do whatever He pleases.
I love my Houston home girls like crazy and last night, to our great delight, God further blessed us with at least 500+ newbies. I asked those who'd never been to Bible study with us before to raise their hands and God took our breath away with their response. We were ecstatic. I've told our group before that if we don't have new women come and join us, we need to ask ourselves why our love for Christ and His Word is not more contagious. Our Tuesday night group is the neatest mixture of women. Extremely varied. Every denomination. Every kind of background. Young to old. Getting increasingly colorful which means so much to us. I love them so much, just as I'd have the joy of loving you all the more if I got to study with you face to face every week.
We are thrilled about the new series God is giving us. "Wising Up" is a topical lecture series on the Book of Proverbs. We hope to hear from God about all sorts of themes over the next eleven weeks like friendship, marriage, business, managing money, parenting, and the like. We launched last night with inspired words from Proverbs 4:7 - "Wisdom is supreme! Therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding." We established that we are not coming on Tuesday nights to study wisdom. We're coming to GET IT. And God's the Only One who is giving it. We have been asked a number of times if this will be taped and released publically and the answer we believe is yes. We are taping this series in house this time and it will be published through Living Proof Ministries because it doesn't have any written work with it like those we do with my buddies at LifeWay. LPM will prepare a study guide for it but this one will intentionally not have homework. (The next homework I'll write is for the study of Esther over the course of the next year.) I hope a convenient thing about the Proverbs series on wisdom will be that the audio tapes and DVD sessions will be released individually as well as in compilations of similar themes. I think the target time to begin releasing the earliest sessions is early summer but I'm not sure. Keep posted for updates there. My staff is in charge of that part of it. And, of course, every single bit of this is a ministry plan based on our best understanding thus far. Only God can bring it to pass and we only want Him to do that if the series glorifies and pleases Him.
You guys are so sweet for caring and praying about our local Bible study. We wish so much we could be under the same roof with you, worship before God's Throne with you, seek the heart of Christ as one, and serve you face to face. Oh, how blessed we'd be! But the relationship we have with you even at this long distance is delightful and tremendously satisfying. We are truly sisters. I'm just crazy about you. Jesus is everything, Beloved Ones. Let's follow hard after Him.

36 Comments:
Dear Beth,
I am so excited for your group to start a new study, and I am no where near you! I pray for Him to bless your study and to give you the wisdom in teaching it to all of the women in your group.
I live in Nebraska and have just finished my very first bible study ever, "Living Beyond Yourself." Your joy for God has been so contagious and has brought Him to light a fire in me that will never be quenched! My study group is now beginning your study, "When Godly People Do UnGodly Things." I'm so excited to get started.
God has just begun to heal my soul like crazy this past year through your study. I have two young girls, ages 5 and 1, and it is very taxing on me! I'm sure you can relate!! My quiet time with the Lord in the mornings at 5 AM (I must be crazy!!) calms me and reminds me who is running my life. I'll never forget a comment you made on a DVD about needing even just five minutes before your kids got up in the morning to be able to deal with the day. I am so there!
I have tickets to your event in Omaha, Nebraska in May and am looking so forward to attending! Until then, I once again pray for you, your health for your busy schedule, and also your strong connection with God to continue bringing His wonderful, everlasting Word to us all.
Jennifer in Nebraksa
I've been checking your blog all day long to see how your first night of study went. I'm so glad it went well, but I'm jealous with a Godly jealousy since I am not there to study with you all (as it's too far to drive from Kentucky each week). It will be so nice one day when all of us with a passion for Christ will worship, glorify and sit at his feet together to learn directly from him. Oh, what a day! May God bless everyone attending the study in Houston this year and may God send a special blessing to your newcomers that they may "catch" the passion.
Beth and Amanda I went to lproof@lproof.org but it sais the one song was to big for it to except. Sorry, it really is only two minutes long.
Dear Beth
Thanks for sharing the details of last night's Bible study. Wow! Over 500 newbies. How exciting!
God has allowed technology to advance enabling us to keep in touch. Your love for the Lord and hunger to know Him more splashes over and blesses our hearts.
Thank you for sharing what you've learned as you walk with Christ.
Beth,
As one of your Houston girls I am so glad that you are so obedient to not write homework. Please don't misunderstand, I love your homework and grow so much through it. I don't know if you need to hear it or not, but it is okay and we completly trust and support your discernment. It is always a place that I can truly experience the presence of God. I am so blessed and grateful to be your student. It is such perfect timing (of course it is) for this study in my life! I'm wising up.
Beth,
It truly was an amazing first night! I learned that skillful living = the ability to cope with daily problems with God-given wisdom. I want to live skillfully in all areas of my life.
I am glad you all had a great time in the Word! How awesome to have 500 newbies! I really want to come back for a visit! We all wish we could be under the same roof too but one day we will! Have a blessed rest of the week.
Love Ya,
Patty
Thanks for sharing a bit of your Bible Study for those of us too far away to attend. Wisdom? Yeah, I want to "get that" too! Praise the Lord for that merciful gift.
Dear Beth,
We thank God for showing himself strong last night. My girls and I were able to attend one of your Tuesday night meetings, so we know how special they are. It was on the night after you lost your mentor. I was amazed at the sweet strength that our Father gave to you that night. It is o.k that we are not with you in person every Tuesday- we have something to look forward to. Kind of like waiting for Christmas!
We love you girl,
Sharon from Louisiana
I love to look at your web page and find a new study available at your store! That thrills this mother of 4, who seeks time with Him in so many creative ways. Do you know how many miles on my bike we have gone together? or on the way to a conference that is 4 hours away. Do you know that sometimes I even sit in my car when I get somewhere just to hear more? Then I listen to them again and glean something new. Of course, I learn from other teachers, like our favorite pastor from Texas A&M! So I do follow your advice. Just wanted to tell you how I look forward to "getting wisdom!"
Love in Him,
Holly Smith
Monument, CO
Dear Beth,
I am so blessed to be a part of the Houston Bible study!! The atmosphere last night was CHARGED...waiting in the lobby we were all so pumped with anticipation of what God was going to do, through Praise and worship, and your study!
I love to invite new ladies to Bible study each semester and had the joy of seeing two new ones come last night.
Your enthusiasm and love for Jesus inspired me years ago to want to love Him like that - and now I want EVERYONE to know Him like that! He is so awesome and wonderful- God is using you mightily!
we look forward to "gittin' wisdom" - Look out, Houston!!!
Love and prayers,
Dawn
Gal 2:20
This is my second event with you and I have to say, I was so excited to see it start. It is different to not go out with praise and worship but the message is wonderful. I thank God that you are so down to earth and love women so much that you work to ensure that we have the knowledge that the Lord gives you. It was wonderful to be with the sisterhood again last night.
We really did feel all the prayers lifted up on our behalf here in Houston. It's so cool that she has us praying for all the other events around America - and has them praying for us! I'd say "there's a whole lotta pray'in go'in on"! From one benefactor - Thank You!
I feel compelled to share one little nugget of Wisdom God was gracious enough to share with this girl who's been through one mind blowing 15 months - in hopes that it might help someone who might be hurting over "hope deferred". I begged for the Wisdom to understand his delays - and he gave me this. I think - when we think we're waiting on him - he's actually waiting on us!
The following is an excerpt from a commentary of St. Augustine(354-430).
Imagine that you are filling some sort of bag. You know the bulk of what you will be given so you stretch the opening of the sack or the skin or whatever you are using to accommodate it. You know how big the object is but you realize that the bag you have chosen is too small, so you increase its capacity by stretching it.
In the same way, by deferring OUR hope, God is stretching our desire, and by deepening our desire God is expanding our soul and increasing its capacity.
Let us desire, my bothers and sisters, for we are to be filled.
Anybody else out there feel like they are being stretched?! Maybe he's about to put one BIG rock of Wisdom smack dab in the middle of our hearts! Amen! Of Father, give us the guts to crawl up to your hand and take it out - if that is how it's done!
God Bless - YOU Beth....Lead On!!!
"Oh can you hear it?
It's the song of the REDEEMED
The pursuit of PASSION
For the ONE who set us FREE
Oh can you hear it?
We're crying out for MORE
Listen to our song it's turning
into a HOLY ROAR"
--Christy Nockels
...such a beautiful thought to know that our 'holy roars' may not go up at the same time, on the same Bible study night, or even in the same state...but that they are all for the ONE who is our EVERYTHING! :)
I was never blessed with a biological sister, but what an amazing family of sisters I have in ya'll! Though we are temporarily separated by mile markers and roads on a map, what a precious thought to know that our eternal citizenship is in heaven all together with THE FAMOUS ONE!!
You ALL inspire me daily...thanks for encouraging a college girl on a very dead campus!! PRESSS ON my beautiful family!
Dear Beth,
So glad your Bible study went well last night!I live in Abilene (not too far away)and would love to attend one of your Tuesday night studies.
I found your blog when I started the "Believing God" series online.This is my 6th series with you.(Just finished "Daniel".WOW!)
I wanted you to know how very blessed I have been by your Bible studies.I tried for many years to read the Bible each day but struggled to stay in the habit.It was more like a duty (law)I knew I was "supposed" to do as a christian.When I read there was so much I did not understand and could not begin to comprehend.There were scriptures that did not seem to make sense and would have frightened me if I had not believed that God's wisdom was HUGE and my mind so small.
God has used your Bible studies like a key to "open up" the scriptures and reveal wonderful treasures I could not see.(loved "Patriarchs")How blessed I am and how excited and hungry to find more of God's treasures revealed in his precious Word.
Thank you for being a willing vessel.
Angela in Abilene
God has used your Bible studies like a key to "open up" the scriptures and reveal wonderful treasures I could not see.How blessed I am and how excited and hungry to find more of God's treasures revealed in his precious Word.
Thank you for being a willing vessel.
Angela in Abilene
I was totally overwhelmed with the numbers on tuesday night especially when I realized that God had spoken so specifically to me in this study. Then I spoke with one of your staff and she said the prayer is that each person in attendance would feel that this study was spoken straight to them. How awesome for God to do such a wonderful personal work in this study. Thanks be to our awesome GOD.
Beth,
I just want to tell you that God is awesome. Just this morning in my quiet time with Him, He showed me Proverbs 4. When I read verse 7, it really jumped out at me. I have been praying for guidance in the area concerning my children's education and I needed direction. Well He will affirm and confirm decisions made when you truly seek Him. When I read your entry, I just had to tell you how much He means to me. He is so wonderful!!
My husband and I, after much prayer, have decided to homeschool our 2 boys next year. I am a school teacher at the school where they attend and this was a huge decision. We will go from 2 incomes to one. We are following God's call and know without a shadow of a doubt that this is His will. I just wanted to tell someone this morning how marvelous and precious God is.
Thanks to you for all you do in following His call on your life and what an inspiration you are to me. I will continue to pray for you and your ministry.
Your sister in Christ,
Sarah
Thank you Amanda for setting up this site for everyone. It is such a blessing to be able to find connections with other people who love God. I come to this site because I have been so blessed by Beth's willingness to allow God to speak through her in an amazing way, but I have also been blessed by God, through other sisters in Christ, who have ministered to me in just incredible ways. Thank you to the person who wrote the quote from St. Augustine and to the person who quoted Christy from Passion. You have blessed us all. Also, to the women whose daughter was raped; we are lifting you up in our prayers.
God is Awesome!
Thanks for sharing. It makes us feel like we have a part in what God is doing in your ministry. Sometimes I pray and I think that it's no big deal to God if I do or don't, so when I hear the testimonies and how God answers and because of what His Word says about the importance of prayer, I do it. Besides, I need to humble myself so that He becomes visible and I become invisible.
Love you,
Kristi
I am praying for y'all whenever the Lord brings you to mind! Keep running with perseverance....
How very awesome to hear that God brought you 500 new ladies!
My church group is just starting week 10 of Daniel. Holy cow! This study is so amazing...actually God is the amazing one. We all leave completely blown away by is supremeness (is that even a word?).
I could hardly contain myself when I read about the study on wisdom and then the coming Esther study. I called my best friend b/c my 2yo just doesn't understand how exciting that is! ;)
I'm also gathering a group of ladies to go to Omaha in May. Now talk about a girls weekend! WoooHooo!
Beth, thank you for answering God's call and allowing Him to use you to inspire so many women(and men) to take a hard look at their relationship w/God and take it to the next level. You're a blessing!
Beth,
You have been such an influence in my life. I am 28yrs old today actually, and have been a christian now for over 7 yrs. I can honestly say I feel like I know you personally, and in many ways you have been a spiritual mother to me, even though we have never met. I wish I could be there in houston for the bible study it sounds awesome! I will settle for wednesdays with Beth on "Life Today"(I try to never miss). May God bless you as you lead his Glorious Bride!
beth, amanda and everyone at lpm -- 2 corinthians 2:14-17 Praise God for your teaching!
Hi Beth. The most wonderful thing has happened this week after Tuesday's Wising Up. As I reviewed my notes from Tuesday, I knew what my assignment was for the next 11 weeks. I have spent the last three days doing my OWN homework on Proverbs. I can't wait for the weekly topical studies God and I will generate and personnally apply in my quiet time between classes. It's wonderful to hear God speak personally to me each day with my own needed lessons. I got new school supplies--a notebook, a highlighter that doesn't smear (yea!)and pulled out several commentaries, so far. A fresh start feels so good, so right. Thanks for prompting me to take the next step in wising up. Love, Annete
Wow! What a blessing for those gals who live in Houston and experience this study every Tuesday night with you! I can't wait for the dvd's to be release- I LOVE studying Proverbs and gaining that wisdom.
I am so thrilled to hear how you are growing- God is blessed by the sight of you together, I'm sure!
Does anyone else love how this feels like our own little family?!?! :)
I love reading about all of your lives and praying for those I know are in the GOOD fight! Thanks for making a college girl's day--just for being you!!! :)
Ephesians 4:16-21
...for you, my sisters ;)
Beth,
Tuesday was AWESOME!! I am SO glad to be back and worshipping with all the girls!! We weren't gone too long, but I sure missed ya'll. Can't wait for the next 11 weeks, God works so incredibly through you and touches so many lives through your ministry. Thanks so much and you are ALWAYS in my prayers.
Jackie in Houston
Dear Beth,
How exciting to see that your next study is Esther. My precious daughter is adopted and I love the story of Esther. I will look forward to it with anticipation.
Blessings
amy
HI Beth,
I too am in Nebraska and praying for your bible study to give you wisdom and to see God do big things. I so wish I could be there. I have done a few of your bible studies and I always get so much out of them...thank you...I am on the run a great deal of the time and learning now as I am getting olders slowing down is a good thing...especially when it means time with God. I look forward to hearing more on what God is doing in your bible study.
blessings,
Tammy from NE
Hi Beth,
I would like to raise my hand as being a new member to a bible study here in chilly Minnesota. We are using your study guide "Jesus, The One and Only" for the next eleven weeks. After this first week of homework, I look forward to the next ten. Thank you for sharing your love and enthusiasm for the Word of God with all of us.
Hey Miss Beth...
By the grace of God and the generosity of some folks near and dear to me, I will be joining you all in Bible study in Houston in
March. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!! I am presently living right now as a missionary directing a children's home in Honduras (which you have directly influenced in more ways than you could know) and I miss so much corporate worship and teachings that I am unable to take part in right now. So I'm flying in for the National Women of Faith Conference in San Antonio and on the way in stopping by to worship with the Houston homegirls and on the way back doing the same. Am soooo looking forward to the oasis that God will provide through it.
I know you have a thousand things to do but if you ever get a chance I blog about my experiences with these sweet children who have seen more horror than anyone should ever have to and the faithfulness of God in their healing on a blog as well. The address is calledandcompelled.blogspot.com
Thank you for helping to heal this heart with the words of Christ so that I could use this life to attempt to help heal others. God is soooo good!! Much love, JEN in Honduras
Dear Beth,
I am 34 I am fighting an agressive, carcino-sarcoma cancer for three years now. I
have an histerically funny 6 year old boy and a 10 sober minded delightful daughter. I have always been a stay at home mom. I have an amazing husband. When I sit the in chemo clinic I have so many opportuniies to share the Love of God. Sometimnes I get an opportunity to pray with someone who is weeping from the exhausting rigors of treatment. Sometimes I just get to be funny and bring some laughter to the nurses and Dr. and patients. When I first got sick and given a year maybe two by the Dr's I was laying in the hospital I remebered a verse in the word that promised long life.
i didn't know where to find it at the time but I began to stand thatday on the word for my healing and your bible study has been such and inspiration to me three years later! God sustains me to do this task of raising my babies and I pray his word daily that I will by his grace and healing power be here to be a wonderfull old granny to my grand children.
Thank you for you obedience, Jen
Dear Beth,
I was so excited to read about the release of the new studies in Proverbs and Esther. I have just been on-line, looking for Bible studies that some friends and I can do over the summer when our church doesn't offer regular Bible studies. The Proverbs study would be perfect - I will definitely keep an eye out for its release.
Thank you for your willingness to allow God to work out His purpose in your life. I know that my life has been greatly blessed as a result of your obedience.
God bless,
Cathy
Athens, GA
I simply wanted you to know that I am thrilled to be in Houston so I can come to Tuesday nights (even as 45 minutes away is still considered Houston). Not to rub it in to those who aren't so blessed to live nearby. Here is my blessing from not having homework for this series: I started "The Bible in 90 Days" one week before we started "Wising Up". I really wanted to be involved in a group as we read the entire Bible together but knew that I couldn't do that AND homework under Beth's leadership (Whew!). I miss the homework but I don't have to feel like I'm missing it and I still get to attend every week. Thank you God!
I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being in the presence of all of these hundreds and hundreds of women who have traveled near and far to gather together on Tuesday nights. I often have to just stand in the midst with my jaw dropped as a huge auditorium-like worship center is packed week after week to sing praises, pray together, and learn and laugh as we join with our sweet little Beth in the presence of God! I am in awe!
Maybe I missed it, but when is the Esther study coming out?
Post a Comment
<< Home