Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Did Somebody Say Grandmother?

Did somebody say “grandmother”? Yep, I believe one of you opened a door a few days back that none of you may be able to shut. I’d like to point out that we’ve now had the official LPM blob this long and I haven’t yet indulged. But I’m about to. Today our darling Jackson turned eleven months old. We are on the countdown to his first birthday party. Nothing could have prepared me for the ecstatic joy and familial commotion this little guy has brought into our lives…AND the toys he’s brought into our closets. Every time I put something away, a button accidentally gets pushed on a toy and a silly song plays. We have a full size crib up in a bedroom and the same heirloom high chair for Jackson that his mommy occupied at her grandparents' house.

I knew I was going to be crazy about him. I just didn’t know he would move into my brain with the same force of Amanda and Melissa. I didn’t know I’d think about him as much as I think about them. I didn’t know I’d love him – yes, every single bit – as much as I have them. It is HUGE. And, no (not that you would ask but someone would), I don’t have to work him into my schedule and try to make time for him. He, like his mom and his Aunt Melissa, gets to play havoc with my schedule. (Case in point: the reason why I didn’t finish the Psalms of Ascent homework when I’d planned to is that I got to have Curt, Amanda, Jackson and Melissa for two weeks over the holidays and I wasn’t about to spend a moment of their time here writing. And God was glad.)

The morning they were leaving after we’d all been together for two weeks, I was trying to hide the tenderness in my heart at the thought of saying goodbye after getting a tad accustomed to seeing him every day. I so badly do not want to be obnoxious and emotionally manipulative with Amanda and Curt about their little guy. I want us all to have healthy relationships and appropriate boundaries and that means if I feel like crying over him, it needs to be after they leave and not before! A little while before we all went our separate directions, Amanda, Melissa, Jackson and I were in my bathroom where I was throwing on some mascara. Jackson crawled over to me, pulled up on my leg, and reached for me to pick him up. When (of course) I did, the little guy leaned forward, puckered his lips, and gave me a kiss right on the mouth! Totally without warning or solicitation! We didn’t even know he knew how to kiss like that. We all laughed and laughed. He and I had spent a lot of time together over those two weeks. I think he wanted to tell his granny that he loved her. Man, oh, man, does she love him, too.

Thanks to his sweet and generous parents, I get to see him every couple of weeks (and usually for a few days) and I talk to his mom about him at least twice a day. Curt and Amanda have invited both sets of Jackson’s grandparents to be intimate parts of his life. After all, it’s his heritage. Grandparents have been active parts of their grandchildren’s lives for generations on both sides of his family line. We are blessed beyond measure. Amanda keeps us up on every milestone and right now I get a report on something new almost every day. Jackson is learning so quickly that we can hardly keep up with him. While he was at my house over the holidays, he began squatting without holding onto anything and he’d look around at me to make sure I saw him. By the time Amanda got him home, he began free standing. Amanda told me that the first time he stood by himself for a whole minute, she was having a play-date with her buddies and their babies. He balanced himself on his plump little feet, looked around to make sure everyone was looking then clapped for himself. Before we know it, he’ll take a step. And his mommy will take a hundred. I’ve never had such a blast…and she’s never been so busy.

I love it when Grandma reads to me. She makes Goodnight Moon so exciting!


I've been very busy learning how to stand and play maracas.


I bury my face in my blanket when I'm exhausted from playing.


Me and Mommy


My bed head is new every morning.

34 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Sister Lynn said...

Aren't babies God's absolute best invention?! I am going to see my new nephew for the first time in a few days - I can't wait.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 10:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a mother of a 2 yr. old and a 6 month old, and I can affirm the busy schedule of mothers! I am finishing up the last week of Believing GOD, and oh how I have treasured studying Joshua, because that is my son's name. And, my 2 year old daughter is obssessed with elephants, so I had a blast hearing your story about asking for an elephant to ride to school!
I just want to thank you for your teaching. I understand you so well, and GOD has begun transforming me and challenging me to Believe Him, so that I can teach my babies who He really is.. not who I thought. He is so much more! Enjoy being a grandmother! And come back to Atlanta!!

 
At January 17, 2007 at 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do we get to see new pictures of this darling little baby boy?

Love you,
Kristi

 
At January 17, 2007 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing to be able to enjoy all the milestones, how fun. I have a 4 year old girl and a 7 year old boy and it is so neat seeing them go through new stages and milestones, and sharing it with friends and family who love our children as well. Children grow so fast, we need to cherish each moment. Sounds like he is a loved little boy.

I have just found your blog, I have just started your study, Beliveing God and I was looking on the website and found your blog. I belong to an amazing bible study and we are now up to 27 ladies, we do it Mondays both in the morning and evening so you can go to either one. We have also done your study Breaking Free and Living Free which were both amazing. They have both strengthed my walk, taught me so much and inspired me to grow more with God. Our group of ladies is amazing, we live in Ontario, Canada, so if you ever come to Canada or would consider coming to Canada to speak we would all be so blessed. We attended Women of Faith last year together and it was an amazing weekend.

Our group is forever changed by your studies, we have grown so much together during the studies. We had some painful moments and shed many tears together during Breaking Free and all grew closer to God. Living Free was another wonderful study, to learn how to experince God's peace, find satisfaction in Him, learn to trust Him. We have just begun the study Believing God and it has already touched me so much. You have such a gift for writing, speaking and preparing these studies.

Our group is so thankful for you teaching us so much about God, ourselves and helping us to walk closer each day to God, to serve Him and to understand the scriptures. A group of us are hopefully this winter going to Mexico to do a mission trip, please pray for us as we start making plans to serve God in the dump, orphanage and whereever God leads us.

If you ever come to Canada we would all love to hear you speak. Have a wonderful day, God bless. Keri

 
At January 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your family! Your such an example for us in everything. You have helped me be a better mom and now I'm already tucking away notes for when I'm a Nanny. Not for several years though!

The other day I was cleaning house with the windows open while you all were dealing with bad weather. And now we have sleet and ice on the way and its freezing cold here. Seems like we all are getting it in some fashion.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 2 young grandkids; Celeste is 3 and Dawson is 1, they are such a blessing. Most of 2006 their daddy which is my oldest son David was deployed to Iraq, it was a long, tough year. But now David is home, what a beautiful word, home. When we welcomed him back at the reunion ceremony at the army base, I observed all the other families also. It is one of those moments that is so hard to describe, tender long embraces, sweet kisses, children that could not contain theirselves because their parent was home, and babies and parents that were meeting for the first time. Then I realized what a joyful, sweet, sweet time it will be when we are someday in our real home, with Christ in heaven. What a day of rejoicing that will be! Thank you Beth, you have helped this last year, more than you will ever know, at least in this life time. Annette K

 
At January 17, 2007 at 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can do is sit here and smile. It makes me so happy to know the joy you have as a grandmother! WE would never have to ask if you made time for him but you are right someone would but that someone wouldn't know you like you have allowed us to!! I love to watch your face when you show pictures of Jackson. I can tell you are head over heels in love with this little guy. I can see why. I love hearing stories and updates on Jackson. We all feel like we are his Aunts!! I will be in the store and see baby clothes and think of Jackson. I got a thrill buying him jammies for Christmas. Amanda was so sweet to send me a picture of him wearing them. A Complete thrill for me. I pray for him every single day. What a heritage he has and it will be a pleasure to see him grow into a godly young man and I can't wait to see pictures of him praise dancing with his granny!! It takes me back to when my two sons were that age and I remember it like it was yesterday. I taught them at an early age the importance of prayer and my oldest at 2 years old would lay his hand on his brother and pray over him when he was sick. It was the sweetest thing. So, I say talk about Jackson all you want because I love it and it is an honor to know about how is growing and changing and I can't wait to hear the stories of when he begins to walk. Thank you both for sharing your little guy with us!
Love Ya Both,
Patty

 
At January 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love hearing the details of your life. Especially the grandmother stuff! As with many women, i have spent countless hours reading the Word with you and I love that you allow us to be intimately involved in your life.
Tiffany

 
At January 17, 2007 at 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just bless so many Beth with your pure hearted passion. Thank you for showing us the way.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is sooo great,being able to share in your joys of grandmotherhood! I could litteraly feel your excitment and happiness of being with your grandson! I've been told(I am not a grandmother, my children are only 5 and 6 1/2)that one of the best parts of being a grandmother is talking and bragging about your granchildren. So go for it girl! I speak for myself, but I'm sure everyone would agree, you are like a friend, a sister, and we women share (almost) everything with our friends and sisters! So, now that the door is open,you can indulge til your grandmother's heart is content!
Love you lots
Jennifer (in Canada)

 
At January 17, 2007 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, Kurt, and Jackson are so blessed to have you. My husband and I are 21 wks. pregnant with our first child, and we live away from both of our families due to the military. We are not ungrateful to God. We are blessed beyond measure to be healthy, safe, and not deployed to war, and I too, have been pulled out of a deep pit of sin very similar to yours. When I read about your love to your kids and grandbaby I witness Jesus in you. Bless you Beth. I've never needed a mother more than right now, but the joy of the Lord is our strength.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth,

Goodnight Moon was one of my son's favorites. He's 14 now...but that book brings back very fond memories. I can't even begin to know how many times I read that to him--IN A ROW! I'd get done. He would chime, "Again." And that little thing didn't EVER want to stop.

You can get into quite a rhythm reading that book, can't you?

AND I just have one thing to say about that darlin' boy---Killer eyes. Wow.
-Elaine

 
At January 17, 2007 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your sweet lovin' heart-
If I knew mentioning the "g" word would cause you to explode into a God-sized ball of JOY and send pictures of that precious boy I would have done it long ago! He's just as perfect as they come. :)
A beautiful family indeed...indulge all you want. It's a nana's right ;)

 
At January 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM , Blogger boomama said...

If I saw that sweet boy in person? I'd have to get ALLLLL his sugar. :-)

What a handsome little man...my mama tells me that there is nothing in the world any sweeter than a grandbaby. She and my daddy both have a fabulous time spoiling our little man rotten...he had his first Coke and his first ice cream at their house. As well it should be.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 5:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy, truly. He is adorable and yes...those eyes! Good night moon was a favorite in our household too. Gosh that was a long time ago. My guys are 26 & 23. No grandchildren in sight. It is very different for mothers of sons. So thank you for letting this lady live vicariously through you. Your joy is boundless, and a pleasure to experience. God bless you sister.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 6:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! That last picture is PRICELESS! Thanks for sharing. Beth, you have an amazingly beautiful grandson. He has georgeous eyes! Amanda, you have an amazingly beautiful baby boy.
Enjoy this time because the time goes by to fast. I miss my children's baby stages. I can't believe it that mine are already 10, 8, and 6!

Love you,
Kristi

 
At January 17, 2007 at 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody did say "Grandmother"!! I am sure that there is NOTHING like being a Grandmother. I have 4 Grands. The oldest is my little man and he is 5, and then three little girls, ages 3years, 2 years and 6 months - who got her 3rd tooth today!! They are great. My daughter Amy is home from the Middle East as a missionary. My 2nd grandchild was born over there and I got to go and be at the birth. Now that is different - so different from our hosptials over here. But what a memory! They are gearing up to go back over. They are life time folks. I will miss them when they leave - but it is a God thing and He will take care of my heart I am sure of that. At present they are on the way to my house for a week visit and I am ready!! They leave in March or April so I am getting in all my hugs and kisses now!! Love you, Grandma Vicki

 
At January 17, 2007 at 7:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! The sharing and pictures are so fun!! I can just imagine how your grandson is even cuter in person.

 
At January 17, 2007 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Beth, thank you for being so open to your "extended" church family and sharing your life with us. I'm sure it's not easy to be as open as you are. I know that God will reward you when you get to heaven, for realizing He comes first, but always following His command. Thank you for your example. The pictures of your grandson are adorable!

 
At January 17, 2007 at 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth -

I cannot tell you how excited I am to discover you have a blog! It's like getting to spend time with you each day. What a treat! Like many, many other people, you have greatly influenced my life and helped me to have a closer walk with God. Thank you for all you do. You're a BLESSING!

 
At January 17, 2007 at 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth, I was so excited to discover your blog a few days ago. I immediately put it on my favorites! I absolutely love your Wednesdays with Beth teachings on Life Today. And like everything else you do, your blog is wonderful!

Lots of love,
Natalie

 
At January 18, 2007 at 12:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a joy to hear you put into words the feelings I have for my six grandchildren. Our littlest, Abigail, is 19 months old and loves reading with Grandma and Grandpa. Our newest book is "Pajama Time" by Sandra Boynton. We read it over 100 times this past weekend. How God has blessed us first with our children and now with these precious grandchildren. Have fun!

 
At January 18, 2007 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Olson Family said...

Just found your blog and have so enjoyed reading the entries - Grandson is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the gift of teaching God's Word. My family moved to Switzerland this past summer and God blessed me in finding a Bible study (in English!)consisting of ladies from around the world who are studying "Jesus, the One and Only". The lady hosting this study and I are 2 of 3 Americans in the group and the only ones to have done your studies in the past. We have really enjoyed watching the other women react and respond to your wonderful sense of humor and the heart with which you teach. Thank You!

 
At January 18, 2007 at 8:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth, I remember telling you that there is "absolutely nothing to compare (except the love of Jesus) to being a grandma". I knew you would love every single second of it. I thank God everyday for the "second chance" to be a mother-in-love. You are so very special to share with us all. I love you so much. Barbara (Mimi to 4)

 
At January 18, 2007 at 2:09 PM , Blogger prayergal said...

Yes, being a grandma is a gift from God. I am so thankful for my granddaughter, she has brought so much JOY into my life. She just turned 3, I keep her for her mama to work each day and I love every minute.
Thanks for sharing pictures of Jackson.
Linda

 
At January 18, 2007 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandchildren are the fudge frosting on the chocolate cake of life!
Bless you for sharing your family with all of us. Thank you so very much for helping the Bible come to life for me...I can hardly wait to get to my homework in the morning....ON YA!

 
At January 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM , Blogger Gayle Ann said...

That is one of the cutest little boys I have ever seen...your grandson is almost exactly 1 month older than mine. Are they not a joy to have? So sweet and so precious. Thank you for posting pics and letting us see how adorable he is.
love ya,
Gayle Ann

 
At January 19, 2007 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Kathy Gratto said...

If having children makes you wear your heart outside of your body (I have four), having grandchildren (3 1/2 and hopefully many more!) makes you grow multiple hearts to hold the love. It is undescribable. God is good.

 
At January 19, 2007 at 9:46 PM , Blogger jkpentak said...

beth,
goodnight moon was anna and marshall's favorite books. by the way, we celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary jan 13th. can you believe? it seems like only yesterday we were staff at hfbc! enjoy jackson. oh - bill and i live in frisco, tx. now. i see amanda is in irving. that isn't very far from us!!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 12:50 PM , Blogger Suzi said...

Beth GIRL!!!! "Nonni" is right here with ya on this one! Our Saviors sweet love poured out through these precious beings we call "Grand babies" ~ OH, IT IS SO HIM to love us this way!!! The delight of His love in thier touch and even the smell of their skin is a love I curl up in and often weap tears of praise over to His Throne!!!
If you only knew how many years I have shared life with you my sweet girl, if you only knew how much we have in common and how I have remained on my face for you...God has made us Sisters. We have been "wives together", we have been "moms together", we are now "Grandma/Nonni's" together! Beth for so many many many years, we have done "life together" and God continues to bless my heart, my life and my families "heritage" through you! Yes, my sweet little Caleb Joshua, and my darling little Amelia Joy, and the "little bun" that's "in the oven" due in July...these children wil ALL BE BLESSED BY GOD because of the loving and learing and sharing I have done with Beth Moore. From our home to yours sweet Sister, one day we will meet, be it on earth or in Heaven. Until then, I will be in your Michigan audiences, I will be on your website's, but count on me ALWAYS to be on my knee's ~ for you, Keith, Amanda, Kurt, Melissa, and little Jack ~ love you sister, so sweetly.
Susan

 
At January 25, 2007 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I had my first baby (a son) a month after Amanda did, and I can so relate. My parents live very close, and they LOOOOOVE Andrew. (He's their first grandchild.) I swear my dad is a different person now! No one wants to know when I'm coming over, it's "when's Andrew coming over?" But I don't mind a bit. And I must say that Andrew favors your grandson in ways! Your post just made me fall in love with my son all over again. Think how much God does that with us every day! :)
Angela

 
At January 25, 2007 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to add a comment--I found out last night that I will be a grandma for the first time in August!!! This is such an answer to many, many prayers for my son and his sweet wife. I was looking at t he pictures of you with your sweet grandson on you lap and I got so excited--I CAN'T WAIT. Thanks for a place to share my blessing! Terry

 
At January 28, 2007 at 10:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth I could not believe the heading on this particular day. I became a grandmother for the 6th time on this day that you posted all the great things about being a grandmother. I echo everything you said. It is incredible the great force of love that comes all over you. Thanks for sharing by the way her name is chloe Juliette, also on dec 13th I had another granddaughter born Julia Janelle.

 
At February 2, 2007 at 11:15 PM , Blogger Big Mama said...

I'm just catching up on old posts this evening and had to comment on that darling boy. He is precious!

My daddy always says that he never imagined he could love a grandchild the way he loves my daughter...and don't think she doesn't know it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home