Finally! My Impressions of the Husbands' Survey!
My Dear, Dear Patient and Wonderful Siestas,
I am so sorry it's taken me so long to post my impressions of the surveys I took among participating husbands! AJ may have already explained by now that my window of opportunity was suddenly eaten alive by a dear old soldier's homegoing and, to tell you the truth, the next month was eaten up by my own unexpected grief. It zapped the energy right out of me and what little I had, I spent on the absolute musts. You've been very patient and I am so grateful. For you new Siestas, about 5 months ago I took a survey of 7 questions directed not just at men but at husbands for the purpose of added insight into the two-part series I was teaching out of Proverbs about being wives. The comments were not posted so that husbands would feel free to speak. They were asked to be honest but respectful and not one of them broke that code. As I share the insights I gathered from these great guys, I will quote some of them but anonymously, of course. I'm not kidding when I tell you these guys were terrific. They were warm, funny, heartwarming, and concerned. Some of them made the tears roll down my cheeks. Others caused me to laugh like crazy.
Gentlemen, months ago I tried to convey my thanks but let me say again that you changed the whole complexion of the series I taught and you taught me (and AJ) more than I could possibly have taught my class. You get an A+ from this student. Keep following hard after Jesus and prioritizing the woman God entrusted to your care more than anything else on this planet. And never minimize the power of flowers. And dinners out. (Be sure and notice her the second she walks into the den, decked and ready and tell her she's gorgeous...and mean it.) The power of movies. And shopping sprees. And dishes in the dishwasher. And a jillion "I love you"s. Then pitch the pride and throw in a handful of well-timed "I'm sorry"s in the mix and you're good to go.
You blessed me so.
Siestas, here are the seven questions I asked:
1. How long have you been married?
2. Accepting that no marriage is perfect, would you say that, generally speaking, you are happily married?
3. Would your answer to the previous question surprise your wife?
4. What do you wish your wife knew about you but you are afraid to tell her?
5. What is the best part of having her as a wife?
6. What do you wish she'd do differently?
7. What one thing do you wish I'd share with wives from a husband's point of view?
Here are a few of my impressions organized under each question:
1. We had everything from newly weds to husbands who'd been married for 40+ years. I couldn't believe it! The husbands were surprising exact in their answers to the length of their marriages. For instance, one said, "11 years, 8 months, 21 days." Very few of them answered without some kind of extra specification. They really do remember their anniversaries...and I got the feeling that, for these guys, it was a good thing and not the birthday of their Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.
2. These husbands were surprisingly - no, shockingly - happy in their marriages. I came to the conclusion that the kind of men who were willing to complete a survey on a ministry blog simply were some of the cream of the crop. They really did care about their wives and their marriages. Most of them were men of at least saving faith and all of them reflected a high regard for the covenant of marriage even if they admittedly didn't know what to do with it. I became convinced of two things as I read their answers to this question:
*****I believe men tend to be happier in a decent marriage than women. I am convinced that, if I'd taken this survey of the wives of these same husbands, they would not have answered as overwhelmingly positively. A couple of reasons kept creeping into my mind: The men are either more easily satisfied with their marriages...or they are more clueless. Because I'm a woman, I can rag on us a second. I do think we as a gender tend to be harder to make happier but, to be fair, we also tend to be feelers (i.e., it doesn't matter if it's a good marriage if it doesn't feel like it is all the time. Sometimes we're right. Sometimes we're too hard on it.) and our idea of good, solid relationship is usually harder to attain than theirs. Don't get me wrong, Girls. I love us. I just think, based on the kind of guys most of us are married to, they probably tend to be happier than we do with the relationship. Food for thought but don't choke on it. Just pray about it.
*****I am more CONVINCED than ever that Christian marriages (not perfect marriages) where couples go to church together (particularly if they attend couples classes or groups together) and pray together when they have problems are IMPRESSIVELY HAPPIER AND MORE FULFILLING than those that don't. Our divorce rates may be an embarrassment to American Christianity but I am convinced that those who stick it out - and are willing to devote their marriages to Christ - laugh together more, talk together more, parent together better and "get" the whole idea of a life partner a whole lot more those without Jesus.
I am more convinced than ever that Jesus is the enduring common denominator of all the great marriages I've witnessed. (And, be encouraged! I've yet to see a perfect marriage but I've seen many a good one!) But, Siestas, our men don't have to be like us in their expressions of faith and spirituality. They are not girls and, for that reason, they are by and large NOT as overtly mushy about Christ as we are. We've got to let our men be men. Trust me when I tell you that after 28 years of marriage, I have never made an iota of progress in changing my husband by trying to shame or nag him into spiritual leadership. (And goodness knows, I've tried) The only success I have ever had is by fighting the battle in the heavenlies through prayer and through throwing my own self before the Throne of Grace for change. I say this with great affection for our husbands: the only sustained success I've ever had is in bowing down before the Throne and behaving myself and leaving the way clear for God to smack my man. It really does work.
3. I asked the third question because I've seen a strange phenomenon over and over. I've seen passive men of overbearing women go on for years as if it didn't bother them...then one day without warning, they are finished. They refuse counseling. They refuse to try again. They've had enough. But they never even gave a warning. I am a big advocate of finding a caring but truthful way of telling a spouse if you are (legitimately) unhappy or unsatisfied. Even the most dysfunctional people deserve a warning from spouses who are quickly approaching the end of the rope. Even a legitimate ultimatum (yes, there really are some) at least offers a chance. The question I most often ask a woman confiding her feelings about her marriage to me is, "Have you told him this?" Sometimes both women and men really are clueless and need to know how serious things are before it's too late. But, whatever you do, don't make idle threats! They have an uncanny way of back firing.
4. I was as moved by the answer to this question as any of them. Many of the men told me that their wives knew virtually everything about them. Others got really vulnerable in their answers. The most common responses were, "How scared I am that I will fail her (or her and the kids)," "How much I need to know I'm a man in her eyes," "How afraid I am of not being successful," "How terrified I am that she'll figure out that she married beneath her." Over and over they said, "I work as hard as I do because I want to give our family as much as I can." I was deeply moved by the pressure many of them are under and how much stress and fear haunts them. This one said volumes: "at times I feel like a frightened little boy in a man's world." I loved this one, too: "that I need her more."
5. Now I get to brag on you wives and as I glance back over my notebook of survey answers, the tears are stinging in my eyes. When I asked them the best part of having you for a wife, you should have heard them. So many of you have genuinely shown your men the love of Christ. You have loved them, graced them, encouraged them, forgiven them, and prayed for them. As I assess their answers, Girls, I'm proudest of you for proving your faith GENUINE. They've seen you in the Word and they know you are different because of it. Overwhelmingly the husbands who participated in the survey respected the faith of their wives even if they didn't share it. Keep it up, Ladies, even when it doesn't look like it's working. Christ should never appear to be a competitor to our husbands. Jesus ought to be the best thing that ever happened to our husbands because of the impact He's had on us as wives.
6. OK, Girls. Don't get defensive on this one. Imagine the kinds of answers we might have offered if asked what we wish our men would do differently! The surveys were tremendously complimentary. Many of them said, "Can't think of anything" but those don't lend the insight some of us may need today. The ones that got specific said things like, "I wish she wouldn't be so hard on herself." "I wish she still had some of that confidence she had when we dated." (Needless to say, I know many of the things you'd say to that. I've been there, too. Life is hard. Working full time is hard. Keeping a home is hard and so is raising children and, at times, the roles within the home - or out, at times - are not very edifying. I simply want you to know that they like us when we have, for lack of a better word, a little sass. The healthy ones like a woman who knows she's competent...even if she knows she's a long way from perfect. If life is beating you down, don't just accept that posture. Get some support. Maybe even some counseling. You are competent in the Spirit of Christ, Sweet Siestas. 2 Cor. 3)
And, now, let's just go ahead and get it over with. You knew to expect it. They want more intimacy. You know what I'm talking about. Don't make me say it. And don't act like they're making you do it either. God agrees with them on this one. He's the very one who inspired the Apostle Paul to tell us not to withhold ourselves from one another except for brief seasons of prayer. (Apparently, some of you have been in prayer a LONG TIME.) My beloved Sisters, take it from a woman who's been married a long time and seen a whole lot of marriages go down the drain. PHYSICAL INTIMACY IS PROFOUNDLY IMPORTANT TO A DECENT MARRIAGE. With tremendous love and compassion, I will tell you what I told the women in the resulting session. You can say "no" or act miserable and disinterested so many times that you teach your man not to want you. But you can't teach him not to want. My man is going to want. That's the way he's wired. SO, I want him to want ME. Want yours to want you, too. I know this is complicated, Ladies, and that some of our men have serious issues. That's what good counselors are for. And I'm not one of them. We will never settle all these issues on this blog. With tremendous love, I simply offer a report on the survey hundreds of your men agreed to take. Very few of them were ugly. The bottom line was, they've got a lot of temptations out there but they really do want their wives.
And I know you want a few things from your husband, too, like real conversation and some emotional needs met. Talk to him about it! And in the meantime, pray to desire your man then respond by faith and really try to meet his needs. See if, in time, God won't move upon him to start meeting some of your heart-needs. And if he doesn't, God is going to get him. You won't have to.
7. What one thing do they wish we knew? Overwhelmingly: "How special they are," "How much we need them," "How much we care about what they think," and over and over, "We need their respect." I heard this one in varying words many times: "That we are a very simple animal and it doesn't take a lot to please us: a little food, a little [intimacy], and a lot of support." Often: "It isn't easy to be a man in this culture. We need some help." This one provides a fitting final statement: "Wives, you will lead us more quickly to repentance with your love than you ever will your rebuke."
The bottom line of the survey of this particular group of men was this: they love their wives and overwhelmingly esteemed them in their answers more highly than themselves. It was a pretty special group of guys. And I realize they were the cream of the crop and on their best behavior. Still, I wanted you to know they did you RIGHT.
In closing, my darling Siestas, I wanted to share something with you that I heard a comedian say on television a few years ago because I thought how funny and true it was. He said, "I took a survey of what women want most in their men. And here's what I found out. They want another woman." He didn't mean it in the alternative sense. He meant that they want their men to act, feel, and communicate like a woman...and yet somehow be a man they can respect. Praise God, Siestas, that are guys are not girls. I want a real man. Don't you? I like for Keith to get in touch with his sticky sensitive, metro side for about ten minutes at a time, then I want those cowboy boots back. If I can't have a perfect man - and I can't - then I want my own. How about you? Then let's let them be men. And if they're the kind of men God doesn't appreciate, fight that war in the heavenlies and on your knees. God is faithful and He will handle it.
COMMENTS: I know this report is going to open a can of worms and I wish we were set up to handle the long comments something like this invites. I can't wait to hear from you but please try to choose one thing to comment on and keep it pretty succinct so I can read all of them. And, please, please, please, get counseling just like Keith and I did (more than once) if you have serious issues. If by any chance you are being physically abused or you in any way suspect one of your children is being physically or sexually abused, get yourself and your children into a safe place immediately then get solid counseling. You will not do an abusive man any favors with your co-dependence and you could very well get hurt. I love you so much. Be smart, Girls. Be smart. May God show Himself mighty and miraculous to you! NOTHING IS TOO DIFFICULT FOR HIM!

219 Comments:
Beth,
Since I've found myself feeling a little (ok, a LOT) jaded about men in general and husbands in particular I am so grateful to have some of my faith in the male gender restored.
I used to be one of those women you were talking to at the end of your posting. I lived in a violent relationship for 7+ years. I wish I had a dramatic story of God's redeeming power in my marriage, but I don't.
That said, God bless you for being so candid. Marriages are only as good as the time and love we put into them.
Bethany
*If anyone else is in a similar situation and needs an ear, please email me. beyondthismoment@comcast.net
I have been married for 27 yrs. to a man that is a "girl" in only the most wonderful of ways. He talks about his feelings and is not afraid to show emotion including tears. We met on a blind date and that night he talked about MARRIAGE and COMMITTMENT in general terms. After 19 days we became engaged and 4 months later we got married. We laugh a lot and spend time with our Baby Boomer friends from church. I am blessed that God gave me a wonderful godly man with a great sense of humor and a MANLY feminine side. Bless you Beth for encouraging, inspiring, and helping us all walk closer to Jesus. I love you. Linda Peel (sharing a birthday with JACKSON).
Dear Beth - Thanks so much for posting this.... My husband sent his answers to your questions, and I wanted so badly to know what he wrote! Thanks for giving us an overview of the "results"
I just want to be honest with you. I have a HUGE issue with self-condemnation. I went to a marriage conference with my man about a year ago and I CRIED for about the next three days because "my husband doesn't think that I respect him." At least that's what I told myself. I KNOW that you would NEVER NEVER NEVER want ANY OF US to feel condemned, but it's an area I've dealt with for many years. I just today told a friend of mine that I was not going to go to the marriage conference that our church is having in a couple of weeks because "I can't live with the self-condemnation I allow to happen when I go to those things." All of this to say, that I'm bawling my eyes out right now. I will tell you that my husband is the BEST and he's the one that said that we'd been married "11 years, 8 months and 21 days." And tomorrow it's 12 years exactly and I love him VERY much and HIGHLY respect him. I could go on and on, but I know I need to keep it short, (like this is, right?)
I love you so much Beth,
Kristi
Princess Beth, thank you for your honesty and for your straight forwardnes with the abused...
I know from my own past and even some things that have happened in my recent past the only thing that works is Jesus. Just pick HIM, be obedient to HIM (forgiveness, and love), and sit back and watch HIM work. I know I am odd to a lot of people, but I know Jesus works, and the chains fall off, and the most impossible of situations become possible. Every answer is the same JESUS. The marriage has to be HIS way, or we are throwing in the towel not him. LOVE LOVE LOVE, and the Love alittle more.
I love this entry. It really makes me wonder what my husband said. I agree with you totally and completely on the whole wanting a man to be a man, he does not have to be a great big man, he doesn't have to lift weights and have big huge muscles. He can be physically little but HUGE in manhood. It is also from my observations of other couples that if the man is so "brow beat" and the woman "wears the pants in the family" (which we all like to think we do)that the wife is NOT happy and is very disrespectful and very hurtful to him. In turn he usually does not like himself or like his wife too much but is willing to stick it out for the kids or just because he is codependent too. So, all in all, I love that my man is a MAN! WAHOO!
The responses to this survey remind me of Shaunti Feldhahn's book "For Women Only"... she elaborates on the great insight that you gathered through these questions.
http://www.4-womenonly.com/
Beth, What an answer to prayer and what an encouragement!! When you talked of fighting in the heavenlies, it remeinded me of the advice of a very godly - already home - sister. When I feel like slugging my husband I need to remember to duck. When I asked her to explain she told me 'to duck' meant to get on my knees (duck) and get out of the way of God's hand that's swinging across! lol Otherwise I would be the one being discplined and changed! So with that reminder....
As a single woman, I emailed this survey to my dad 5 months ago to complete. I never got his answers (that was between my dad, the Lord and you), but I am thankful to get an overview snapshot of what men want in a marriage. I want to learn these things beforehand, if possible. Most of all, I pray that if or when I do marry, I honor my man. Thank you for giving us some insight in how to do so.
-Katy
Roanoke, VA
Beth,
Thanks for continuing to go to battle for us and our marriages.
A healthy marriage is the greatest visible expression of Christ and the church. It is the "paradox of freedom" in action. Great to be reminded of simple essentials. Blessings dear siesta.
What a great reminder! I am one of the Tuesday nighters, and this was a great refresher from those two sessions. I am married to one of those Christ-loving men, and am more blessed than I realize. Thank you for putting it on paper for us who so easily forget to be reminded.
May God continue to bless you and all the LPM girls.
Beth, I am so glad to hear you urge abused women to get to a safe place AND THEN seek good solid counseling. Yes, God can and does heal all sorts of marital wounds, but too often the Christian community tells women to stay in the situation while getting help. Safety for ourselves and our children is a priority to God and should be a priority to ourselves as well. Thank you for you ministry.
They're so right on the respect; mine told me in different ways our first 5 years of marriage, and I didn't "get it" until I read Love and Respect. Pretty profound statement there in Eph. 5 that I'm trying to obey and it's no surprise that God's way brings about abundant life in marriage!
-his bride of almost 7 years
One thing about the physical intimacy part here...I have got the dvds on order to listen to but I have had more women come to me in ministering and speak on the fact that their husbands are not interested in them physically. Some of these women could be super-models by the worlds standard. After counseling, prayer, investigating, most of these men are not wigging out in sexual sin either...they just aren't interested. It leaves a horrible pang of rejection on the woman and she wonders what is wrong with her. Every marriage book will tell you "women do not with-hold from your man" with little to say to the man not with-holding from his wife. One thing I love is that God's word addresses it (when you won't find it in a marriage book) 1 Cor 6:2 But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband.
3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
I have heard women feel so ashamed thinking that they were alone and why is every other man wanting their wife but their man doesn't want them? I think the enemy is really gaining ground with this...making women feel alone here...and then you see them seek love an affirmation elsewhere. This has really been on my heart!
So to the woman who may be struggling with her worth...please know how loved by God that you are and that He is faithful and you are prized. He is the only one who determines your truth worth.
sorry for the length...
jenny williams, pelham al
Hey Sista Beth!
Thank you for posting the results of your survey. After 24 years of marriage and two teenage sons later...I realize more everyday that God really DID know what He was doing when he made men and women. I absolutely adore having my man take care of me! And I absolutely adore submitting and respecting him.(yep, that's right fella siestas...I submit!) A heart submitted to Christ first, and your man second brings great joy!
Have a good weekend Beth! From a native Texan turned Arkansan to you!
Thank you, Beth. God is working in and through you to show us His glory. The things you shared here are truly an inspiration for me to love my man like I did almost 32 years ago when I married him!! I couldn't get enough of him then and may I still feel that way today. Thank you.
"They are not girls and, for that reason, they are by and large NOT as overtly mushy about Christ as we are. We've got to let our men be men."
Well, now ain't that just huge!!! I may have to write that in the front of my Bible! I've got to do a better job of praying for my husband and keeping my big mouth shut! Genesis 18:19 says "For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord." I think maybe all the things I WANT my husband to be, he already is and he's just keeping it a secret.
STEF
Beth,
This was excellent to read. Intimacy is a tough one when self confidence is low, but I loved the fact that we can't remove the want... but we can keep our man from wanting us. Wisdom. I am going to pray for desire.... I am listening and I thank you for constantly turning all who read back to Christ!
Beth,
Thank you for sharing this. It makes me want to ask my husband the same questions and really know the answers, although I think I know the answers to a lot of them. Your impressions also convict me of my lack of attention to my husband's need for intimacy and respect. With God's help, I will do better. Thank you for once again inspiring me to be a godly woman.
Leah
www.thepoint-leah.blogspot.com
Miss Beth,
Please don't apologize for taking the time you needed to grieve!! You're human just like the rest of us. I'm sure I speak for others when I say that I'm tickled pink that you take the time to share your life here in blogland.
The survey results are very interesting and I needed to hear something from each one of those questions. Thanks for the update! Love you and thank God for you!
Thank your for the effort put into compiling the surveys for this blog. The results were so encouraging and filled me with such gratitude for my own spouse. His love for Christ only makes him that much more attractive to me . BTW, I once saw a cartoon depicting the differing ideas men and women have where foreplay is concerned: His: flowers, chocolate and dinner for his wife. Hers: Husband vaccuming the den!!!
Thank you the posting of this was timely.
I want to love my man and more than anything on this earth I want him to be happy in our marriage. I think most of us know what they want and what God wants--it is up to us to humbly bow our knees to God and His wisdom and understanding and then obey.
I do want my man to want me----I just need a reminder of that when I am cranky because of life.
Oh, Beth...what an important reminder. Thank you...
Beth,
I watched the Wising Up DVD and this one was truly eye opening. Thankyou. My husband does not believe in God (yet), but is a wonderful man, father, hard worker. Christ is the 3rd person in our marriage and I see Him working miracles. We would not be celebrating 10 years without Him. I remember in one of your Bible studies you said Keith prays for the women whose men do not, that meant sooooo much to me. Thankyou and Keith.
Dear Beth,
I can only say "AMEN and AMEN"!! God has dealt with my dear hubby on the things I have prayed about with MUCH more effectiveness than my words would ever have done.
Thanks for a timely reminder!
You are loved!!
Dawn
Wow!! What powerful counsel you offered on this blog, Beth. My "man" and I have been married for over 38 years and what you shared in this blog has encouraged me, convicted me, challenged me, and inspired me in this matter of marriage.
I respect, admire, and love you, my "Siesta" for your honesty, transparency, and love for Jesus. I wish we could go to Starbucks and get a super duper latte or cappucino and have a gab-fest!!! (Is that a word?)
You are a dear and I pray for you daily.
Blessing upon you, sweet Beth!
Beth,
Thank you for the report. I had my husband do the survey and it is so neat to read some of the responses. It does help me to appreciate him more and to read a guys perspective - thank you.
Oh and I cracked up when I read
"(Apparently, some of you have been in prayer a LONG TIME.)" - regarding the intimacy issue.
Thank you sweet siesta for your hard work and attention to this subject!
I was blessed by it!
Much love,
Kim
Dear Beth,
The Lord just keeps on pointing out the same thing to me about my husband and my marriage. I recently did the bible study "For Women Only" by Shaunti Feldman which looks at the 7 things men need women to know about men. I was convicted of: 1) my own selfishness 2)disobedience and 3)the real heart of my husband. Your survey mirrors so closely what I learned in that study. I've made a point of changing MY attitude (Why is it that when I ask God to do something to change/better my marriage He changes me?!)and over the last month have already begun to see my husband, who was angry and distant, become the loving man I long for him to be. The fact that our 26 year marriage is still moving foward and weathering the storms is a witness to the everyday working of God in my life.
Kathy
I wish my husband participated in that survey. It's important more than ever of Christ centered marriages and my husband and I know first hand that if a marriage isn't built on the Word then it can not stand the storms of life. I don't have a perfect marriage but nearly 23 years of partnering life with this guy I am amazed how far we have come inspite of ourselves! HA
This is so great. I am so blessed to read this and be reminded not to rebuke but to fight on my knees. All this info is a blessing! Thanks for doing this.
Blessings,
Angela
This was wonderful--and always timely. I have been married 4 1/2 years, and it's been wonderful, but it's so good for me to be reminded of how a Christian woman is to engage with her husband, and to be encouraged. Wish I could hear your teaching from Proverbs on this subject!
Thank you Beth. You have handled this as you handle everything you teach - with grace and wisdom and good common sense. I think deep down inside we knew most of this already. For some reason we want quick easy answers to all of life's complicated questions. It just doesn't work that way. But we have a God who has given us a really good plan to follow. And He's given us a helper besides.
Thank you for this Beth.
Thanks Beth, sometimes we need to be reminded that marrage is work and our husbands have feelings even if they don't share them very often. 22 years this Sunday and we're still good together. This is my first time on the blog. I have done many of your bible studies. You have been a tremendous blessing to me. Kayro
Thank you SO much for sharing this with us, Beth. I apologize for being anxious to read about the survey results and totally feel horrible for my insensitivity to your grieving period. Of course you were overwhelmed with grief! Please accept my apologies.
I am so glad to read all of this. I am a blessed woman - my man is awesome. (I have to brag a minute, our anniversary is tomorrow and he's taking me to a B&B where we're getting massages and I get a mani and pedi!!!!) I am so excited. He's awesome, and even though he isn't perfect...He is a terrific father and I think I'll keep him. :)
Something you said was so true though. I do think we are harder to make happy. We idealize things so much, and I think some of us grew up thinking life was like a movie - which it's not. We "gripe" to our girlfriends about this or that...but really sometimes it seems that I'm griping because he's not a girl. And like you said I don't want a girl.
As far as that other thing goes...we'll I'm sure I needed to hear that. It's funny that sometimes that there are things that we don't want to turn over to God, but I know that thing is a HUGE part of a marital relationship, and therefore is something I need to pray about. You're SO RIGHT though about us wanting them to want us...if they stopped asking, we'd be devastated. (Definitely something I need to remember.)
We've only been married 7 years (tomorrow), and I know that we're so still in the beginning, but you have to get to 7 before you can get to 20. We still have a lot to learn, or maybe I still have a lot to learn, but we're having a lot of fun together now. I have the CD of your Divine Mystery of Marriage, and I have listened to it over and over. I used to cringe when any lesson or sermon was on submission. I learned though that I WANT TO SUBMIT! That has reallly helped me be a better wife, and I am learning to let the mighty hand of God take care of what needs to be taken care of. :)
Thanks for sharing, I had been wondering about those answers.
Love you!
Cynthia in OK
Thanks so much for sharing these results with all of us, Beth. I have to say that I have been truly touched by the candid answers you received from these men.
I prayed for years that my husband would get involved in the ministry of our church and not just be satisfied to follow along with what God had me busy doing. I wanted my husband to want to serve God on his own accord and knew that only the Holy Spirit would be able to move him in that direction. Lo and behold! My husband is now the leader of our church's budding men's ministry! I just sit back and watch him shine! God got him busy!
My husband needed my prayer and support and not my nagging and ridicule. Once I let go and let God work with him on this issue, the perfect opportunity opened up for my husband to serve in a ministry role at church.
My marriage has never been stronger than it is right now. God's love makes ALL things possible!
Wow! I feel I learned so much in this. I'm not married, but I believe it can carry over to dates as well (minus the physical intimacy, well you know what I mean). Thank you men for taking the time to complete the survey. Thank you Beth for your "interpretation." I always need advice on men and how to catch the "right one." Oh wait... God has "my man" I'm just waiting on God and His perfect time (2 Sam. 22:31).
My heart is so convicted! The comment about bringing our husbands to repentance with our love verses our rebuke(s). I had to make it plural for myself. Oh how I wish I had asked God for Please More Spirit! before unleashing torrents of anger and bitterness from my mouth! Praise God that He promises to restore and rebuild my life and pour out His Holy Spirit onto the parched and dry ground of my life! Please, Lord, More Spirit and heal our marriages for Your glory!!!
Hi Beth!
Well, God's timing is, of course, perfect! I was feeling so bugged with my dear husband today and then I got on here and read this post! My husband wasn't one of the participants, but I have done a study by Shanti Feldham on the same topic and your results pretty much mirrored hers.
Once again, thanks for allowing God to speak through you! So, if you were to ask me, the results weren't late coming at all!
I hope you are having a wonderful summer.
God bless you!
Connie
I love your comment about some women being in prayer a LONG time! :) It's so true. We would go ballistic if our husbands went that long without TALKING- and yet some women feel justified in withholding something that is so precious, and so solidifies and signifies our oneness as husbands and wives.
We need to make this as high a priority as we do conversation and emotional connection with our husbands-- I think there would be a lot less withholding if women truly realized how important this aspect of the relationship is... not just to our men, but to our God.
Thanks, Beth.
Jess @ Making Home
Thanks so much for posting this. My darling husband told me that he took the survery but wouldn't tell me any of his answers. I've actually been sweating what in the world he might have said to Beth Moore that he can't say to me. I know he's a great man and I'm lucky that God blessed me with him. Thanks for reminding me.
My husband I and tried counseling. I am a believer and he is not. The Counselor we went to (recommended by my pastor) was a "Counselor who happened to be a Christian" (way to secular for me!!) and was not willing to make our couseling to be biblically based. Not scripture laden, but just biblically based! It was aweful. LADIES, please, please, please do not become unequally yoked! It was a nightmare! I envy all of you who have christian marriages! Do all you can to strengthen your marriage. Thank God you have the foundation of Jesus Christ! Our counseling experience scared both of us to death, so things are much better. I pray a lot more for my marriage now than I ever did before and God has really dealt with my bad attitudes. He needs the Lord and I need to let the Holy Spirit have His way in and through me! I cannot wait for my husband to believe!!!!!!!!!! Nothing is too hard for God, not even removing the veil from my husband's eyes.
Beth - my husband did not participate in this survey - but if he had I know that he would proclaim our marriage a miracle! We have been married 23 years and I am praying for many more! God's grace has permeated our marriage and saved it from the enemy! Our first decade or so was "yucky" - but neither one of us sought divorce. (although we talked about it quite often!) God has given us the ability to be a "stand in the gap" marriage and for our children to reap the benefits of being in a "stand in the gap" generation. Neither one of us had an example of a godly marriage in our childhood - but GOD has brought us through! Thank you for being honest about your marriage - I believe the enemy wants to isolate couples and make them feel like the only ones! Praise God for the victory! Our marriage is restored and my tears are now "happy tears" rather than ones of anguish and sorrow! May He be glorified - I love my husband more than I ever thought possible - thank you for sharing God's truth with so many!
Mary Ann
JMARoach@aol.com
Honestly - I could have waited a little longer to hear those words. Today was not the day. :-)
My dear Beth,
Please know that you have been in my prayers.
And, as I once heard a wise Bible teacher say: "Grieving is natural for us, it is simply that we do not grieve without hope", so feel free to be "real", but remember that you can also be assured that you will be seeing your sweet Daddy again one day, and that he is simply cheering you on from Heaven now a days, girlfriend.
These men's responses are so amazing, and from the looks of it, they were from their hearts, too.
However, I would have never guessed that that much time had gone by since you took this survey.
My Dad was the one who I asked to take the survey; and he and my Mom will be celebrating their 47th wedding anniversary in mid July, God willing, to the praise and glory of God ...
Jennifer
Southern Wisconsin
Wow. My husband is one who responded and we are in a season of difficulty right now. I know that i have a hard time treating him like a man and not another child. Ladies, any ideas of how to start respecting him more?? Thanks, Beth.
WOW! My husband and I had a GREAT conversation discussing this one! (Been married 12 years) Some of my personal favorite quotes of his (during our discussion):
"I've always told you that about sex. A dog's gonna eat. Either at your house or down the street, but he's gonna eat." I was quite proud when he said "I can't complain about it anymore, though. There was a time I could, but we've got a good pace going now. But don't take that to mean you can back off either. It's just in my nature to want more."
Another one was about men wanting a woman with a little sass. He tells me, "oh, you definitely haven't lost your sass. You might not be quite as brash as you were...maybe a little wiser...but no less bold." (grin)
Finally, about what it was he wish I knew...makes me tear up...he said how his greatest fear is that "his best isn't good enough." AAAAAWWWWWWW.
..Thanks for all your comments, Sista Beth...very, very good! I started out just casually reading it all to him over the phone and then got all choked up about halfway through. When I got done, he goes, "so now we're supposed to talk about all this.....right...?"
GOD IS SO GOOD! Love you!
Loving to learn as siesta youngin'. Thank you for sharing Mrs. Beth.
Wow! This was an excellent reminder for me that my husband needs affirmation and physical closeness too. He is a good man and works hard to take care of us. Thanks Beth for sharing. I think I'll share this with him and see if it leads to some good conversation.
All I can say is wow. This is awesome. I'm going to be revisiting this post many times to let it all sink in. I will actually probably save it and do some study on it. And I think I may even print out those questions and have my husband answer them about me and I in turn will answer them about him. I think they would lead to a long over-due, bonding conversation between us. We rarely have any time to sit down and talk about our relationship. Those questions are enough to spark an evenings worth of intimate conversation. Thank you for posting this! It will lend me weeks of study I'm sure! :) Hugs from Abilene!
Thank you Beth, this is exactly what I needed to hear today. My husband and I are separated, but are in counselling. We have many hard issues to deal with, but the more I look at life from his perspective and vice versa, we see the ways we show each other love... It just wasnt the way we could receive love. I was abused growing up, and didnt feel I deserved to be loved like he wanted to show me. He tried to love me and I pushed him literally right out the door. I can see now his heart was in the right place, and now,Praise God mine is too.(after a year and half of personal counselling)I understand completely the comment on Intimacy, because he wasnt getting it at home, he found it elsewhere(while we were separated) I forgive him, and we are working this out. He still wants me after how I have treated him. PTL!!!!
I have been reading this blog for quite some time now, but have never left a comment until now. Thank you, Beth, for saying what God leads you to say. So often you have a point that really hits home with me and this post was no exception. I really needed to hear some of that. Thanks!
Soo excited to see the results of this, Beth. Thankyou for taking the time to do this.
I was even more in love with my husband of 10 years because he even DID your survey. That shows me I matter. And that's what I want to know; that I matter to him.
Thanks for your advice and encouragment Beth - hopefully us Siestas in Blogland will get to hear the messages you taught to those lucky ladies in your weekly study.
I'm going to read your posts again and take some time to let it sink in.
Beth, thank you for taking the time to do this. This survey gave me many great insights into my marriage, but it had another added benefit - for those of raising sons it gave us insight into raising them and how to best pray for them too. My 20 year old son lives here at home with us and commutes to college - it gave me insight on how to pray for his relationships and how to navigate our sometimes confrontational relationship. Thanks for the blessings for both husband and son. May God continue to pour out his spirit upon you.
My husband filled out the survey...he is the cream of the crop for real! The thing that revolutionized our marriage was the concept of serving. We have taken on the attitude of "We cannot out serve one another!" Wow, it really works! Our marriage has grown more intimate on every level since we learned that serving one another brings glory to God! Plus, it makes our focus be on the other person and not so much on ourself. I am wild about my man...and yes, I am maybe a little bit sassy too!
Wow and WOW! I was moved to tears more than once by this post. I'm not yet married, but this post has made more difference to my future married life than I can even explain. Wow. I just don't even have any better word than wow. THANK YOU for sharing!!!
Wow! I'm not married (yet?), but am happy to know the three main things I need to give him when I am: Intimacy, Food and Respect. Harder than it sounds, but something worth obtaining in a good marriage to a terrific man...MY man. :)
Bethy (that's what we call you)-It thrills us single gals knowing that your husband is praying for us. Tell him thank you from the bottom of our hearts! You've got yourself a keeper!
Cindy Ries
Portland, Oregon
Thanks to the husbands and thank you Beth for speaking gently to us. I know we're not supposed to ask questions but knowing your past suffering and the need for physical intimacy in marriage...can you recommend some Christian books for those of us who are dealing with childhood victimization? I've seen many Godly counselors...just still haunted by the disturbing images. I want to love my husband and I desperately want deliverance from the pain. Thanks
Dearest Beth:
My husband did the survey and I love him so very much! We both come from divorced homes and always said that we would be committed to our marriage no matter what. We have always committed to go to a marriage conference every year. We just attended the Love and Respect one and it was the best one ever. It did not surprise me that our men want and need respect from us, just like we need love from them. My husband is a student pastor and we were high school sweethearts and have been married for 17 years and been in full time ministry for 15 years. Last night my husband surprised me and took me out on our boat and the moon was full and beautiful and he asked me to bring some music so he could dance with me under the stars. It was one of the best nights of our marriage as we held each other and had amazing conversation and looked at the moonlight bouncing off the lake. I will never forget it. He is teh best husband ever and I am a lucky wife. I love you so much and your ministry. You make me want to be a better lover of Jesus, wife and mom. Love, Trudy
Amen and amen! Keep preaching it sistah!
My man responds to love, forgiveness & grace, but not to nagging. I praise God for showing me, that as I obey Him in honoring and respecting my husband, my husband becomes a better husband. God's ways are always best.
Thank you Beth. I have too many comments so I'll just keep quiet for now. ; ) Love you all ! I could just bawl when I read whatever you write to us though , because it ALWAYS is written with so much love and grace and TENDERNESS. I personally NEED that. But are you SURE you are interpreting that scripture for ... about .... you know , intimacy , right ? Can it not mean ,anything, SOMETHING else ??!! SURELY there is a DIFFERENT interpretation for that !! ( no ? ) ( I said I was going to be quiet. I'm going to do that now. )Love ya'll !!
Thanks so much for that Beth. As a newleywed... it is a wonderful reminder of the kind of effort I want to continue to put into my marriage.
I just came across your blog and am so happy to find more of your spiritual wisdom to read. Thanks for doing this.
Meghan
www.littlemanricky.com
Wow, Beth, thanks for all your hard work. You're such a special "Big Siesta" to me (don't worry - you're actually a lot smaller size wise, but wisdom wise and age wise you're definately a Big Sis).
I was so encouraged by what you wrote. It was a big kick on my back side (but in a nice, sweet, Beth-way) to remember that last little point (you know, the word we're not going to say on the blog) IS a big deal - and it is a gift, from a loving Father. It's not that I have real issues with this, it's just a month into summer, and the sun is up til midnight, and I'm tired, and blah, blah, blah with my excuses - so, thanks for that gentle reminder about one of the most important things to prioritize.
Also - to any of you other siestas out there whose marriages may be in trouble - mine was, in serious trouble - but Beth is so not joking when she says war over your marriage on your knees. I just also want to add, make sure you have close, Godly, mature siestas warring with you who can hold you up, provide wise counsel, and go to battle with you.
Three years ago it looked like my marriage might not make it - but for the Lord, dear friends and family who prayed like crazy and loved like crazy. Today things are so different. Not perfect - but I don't believe in perfect. I just believe in Jesus.
Also (I know, I know, you asked for us to keep it short - okay, I'm trying hard to be a good little sis) - one last thing (and this was SO HARD FOR ME b/c I was in leadership and wrote and taught Bible studies, et al -- can anyone say "pride" - although I didn't see it as such at the time) I HAD to let people in to see the broken condition of my marriage. This was a troubling and conflicting area for me b/c I thought my biblical duty was to protect my husband from any embarrasment. So, for any of you wonderful sisters out there (or for any of your friends) - if there is physical treatment you're receiving that is hurtful/harmful - hard though it be - YOU HAVE TO BE BRAVE AND GET HELP.
I know this issue won't apply to most of you reading the blog - but for those to whom it may apply, Jesus wants to help you walk through this place in your life but He needs you to be honest with yourself and be honest with others who you KNOW you can trust to help. The thing that finally allowed me to reach out and take steps that needed to be taken is when a friend said: "The best way for you to love your husband right now, is to get the help you need so he can get the help he needs."
I fought believing that - but it turned out to be true. Blessedly, my husband owned up to what he'd been doing and received the loving Godly counsel He / we needed.
I learned so much about the Father's lovingkindness during this time of my life. It is the weirdest thing to say, but although it was a brutal time (and had been for years) the fellowship of the Holy Spirit during that season was incomprehensible. That's what I remember about those years: how sweet the Lord was to me. He really does know what to do with ashes and tears.
(Oh Beth, I know I have been such a naughty little sister to test you with this Epic Blog Entry (EBE) - I beg your forgiveness and wish you a happy Sunday!)
Sign me,
Warm in Alaska.
Beth, may I just say "thank you!!!" I had not discovered this amazing blog thing in time for my husband to participate in the survey, but I pray that his answers may have been close to those of the guys who did participate. I have to brag on my man a bit - he is the best thing I could ever have asked for, everything I ever prayed for and more man than I could possibly ever want or deserve. And believe me when I say that, having learned a lesson from watching the way friends have treated husbands over the years, once I got one, I GUSH!!! I tell him everyday how blessed I am to have him and I thank him for taking such good care of us. I didn't get married til I was 34 (missed 35 by a month!!!!) but he was sooooooooooooooooooooo worth the wait! God bless our husbands!!!!
By the way, now that I HAVE discovered the blog, does that make me an official Siesta?!?!?! And, if so, do I get to come to the gathering when it is arranged?
I love ya Beth! God Bless!!
Becky Jo, MI
Beth...thank you for those wonderful surveys...I am in the process of doing your Wise Up study right now...how convicting to the heart as I find myself right in the center of all those questions...my heart is saddened as I see how I have tried to change him to who I need...Praise God for His grace on my life and for bringing guidance to me as I choose to play the role of the wife my Jesus has intended me to be...I have a long way to go, but what a wonderful husband I have to take this journey with...I do love him so...thank you, thank you, thank you, for the gentle reminder...love you so much...cannot wait to share such a massive hug with you someday...
A Tennesse Gal
Beth,
Thank you for reminding me how blessed I am to have a husband who loves me and loves the Lord. Thank you also for your words of wisdom on protecting and enriching our marriages.
Dear Beth,
Thank you for posting this as it is very timely. I woke up this morning with the attitude thinking "Oh he wants to be intimate now. But why should I? He never listens to me." I know things have been stressful with the passing on of my grandmother, accidental death of a pet and a myriad of circumstances that adds a financial burden. I trust the Lord to work out all the details. And in the midst of all this we had our 19th anniversary.
Your post described my husband and I am reminded again (as I often have to be in this area) that my husband is wired that way. I need to respect that and trust God that He will meet my emotional needs and believe that my husband will learn how to meet those needs someday in God's way and timing.
I have had an attitude check from reading this post. I have pushed aside the negative and realize that I also cant have the perfect man so I'll keep mine. He loves me dearly. Therefore, I must must give him the respect and love he deserves.
Thank you for allowing the Lord to work through you in this way.
Blessings in Christ
Dear Beth,
Thank you for sharing your impressions. As a young single woman who can't count on one hand the number of healthy relationships I have seen, it is refreshing to get some insight into what it means to be a godly wife and to have hope that marriage still can be beautiful on this earth. Thank you for mentoring me through your love & work for Jesus and for helping me grow into the woman He created me to be. You are an inspiration to me :) Thank you from deep in my heart!
Love Brandi
Sweet Beth......thank you for just making this so simple for us women to know what our men want. I think because we ARE women we make everything VERY complicated and I see through this survey just how simple they truly are. I think if I truly began to put all my "complications" aside and all the things "I need"....I think my marriage would be a lot easier. They don't need hours of a deep meaningful conversation. They don't need to be told they look beautiful EVER DAY. =) They don't need to walk in the door and just "tell from my look" what's wrong! I LOVED this, it gave me great insight on my man and I agree with you, I want him to love on me, but I want him to be a MAN!!
Thank you, Beth for sharing the survey results! I've been wondering about it but knew things had snowballed on you recently. I'm glad you took time to grieve the loss of your dad and not just push it aside.
Those were very interesting comments and for me it wasnt that much of a surprise, it was a bonk on the head. God's been showing me *very* recently how I've been trying to fight a spiritual battle (with my husband) with my words/actions when I should be fighting it "in the heavenlies" (as you put it so nicely). He's also been showing me how His way gets WAY better results!
Thanks again for sharing these insights. Very valuable info!
Sunny
My husband of almost 44 years did not participate in this survey because he is not much of a commentor BUT I can say without one single doubt that he loves me with a Christlike love. He has always shown me in so many ways and I am very blessed to have him in my life. He is definitely a "man's man" and I love that about him. Our love has grown deeper and deeper over the years.
Thank you for doing this survey, Beth. It's a treasured reminder of the difference between a man and a woman. God wired us to compliment each other, not to oppose each other. My darling groom fights every day to retain his witness in his workplace. I fight every day to make our marriage and home a sanctuary for him. Safety and security in who he is in my eyes is vital to him. We've been married 15 years, and 4 sons later...we still have Christ in the center of our marriage. Jesus has sweetened and flavored out marriage with mercy and joy. Through all the difficulties, and there have been plenty, we've always drawn closer to each other and to Jesus. I praise God for His lavish love for these two sinners saved by grace. My husband is my answer to a very specific prayer. And, yes, I've told him! My God and my husband adore me...and I highly esteem them for such ability.
We all have days where we don't feel lovely. My darling envelopes me in his arms and kisses the back of my neck when I'm doing the dishes or standing in front of a hot stove. He loves me when I'm not feeling really loveable. God cradles me in His mighty arms and tenderly heals my heart when I'm hot and sweaty from the fight against the devil. God returns me to a soft place, decorated with compassion and love. God forgives the failures and sins, and my man forgives the stretch marks and attitudes. I'm beginning to tear up just thinking about the massive amount of love poured over me by these two blessings, my Lord and my husband...welcome tears. I pour them out as a praise offering to the God who cares so much for me.
Blessings to you and His ministry through you.
Ramona from Kentucky
Dear Beth,
How wonderful you are. Thank you for the insight into what men want from us wives. I tried for years to change my husband, and we almost divorced because of it. By a miracle of God, we hung on and things got better because I didn't try to change him anymore. If he wants to drink beer, I don't say a word. If he wants to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don't say a word. Some things I would say a word about, but as long as my children aren't exposed to anything too secular, I decided to let God deal with it. I think you once said in a Bible Study or somewhere that you can't be someone else's Holy Spirit. That is engraved in my brain. Thank you and I just love you to pieces.
This was very encouraging for all us single ones out there:-)
Kudos to the guys for being so honest!
Be Blessed:-)
~Angie
It was great to be reminded of some of their baggage... I have a great husband but he is not in a relationship with the Lord and I want that for him and our family. I have been trying to do it and you reminded me to turn him over to God, he is so special but we need God in our marriage, on my knees I go, thank you for the reminder
Thank you so much for this survey. I am a walking testimony of the power of God Almighty in a marriage! This comment would be 15 pages if I gave the details, but know this, God CAN, He WILL, He DOES!! When we get our knees and LET HIM!!!
I'm like you Beth, I want my man to be a MAN!! I'm glad he can cry when we watch "Facing the Giants" but I'm glad he does his best to hide it from me!! teehee
Bless your sweet heart for letting them feel included in our "blog world"!
Hello ya'll (yes, I'm southern). This is my first blog post, although I've read the post faithfully for some time. I suppose it is fitting to post today responding to the guys survey as my husband and I are celebrating 7years of marriage today!! I say this in all truthfulness and I mean it literally--God found him for me, and through war (he was in Iraq) and a wounding (his physically, mine mentally), and much love--He alone taught us what is important and how to make it work, although in the beginning we were sure that we were both too messed up. I just want to say, that both my men (my son is 2 and a half)are stinky, dirty most of the time, "wild at heart" (to borrow a phrase which happens to be a great book), and I'm so crazy about them I can hardly stand it. Last night, my son came into the room, he just had to wear his daddy's old ARMY shirt to bed, he was so cute, with his blond hair I thought I would squeeze him to pieces and smother his little face with kisses. How great is God? And I can say today, after SO much, that I can't think of anyone on the planet that I would rather have my son grow up to be like--his earthly father and of course, his Heavenly Father. Much love my new friends.
After an argument last night that lasted until 1:30 am, along with some personal prayer time and reflections, I can say I thoroughly agree. God is most important in my marriage. Communication is vital.
Good job Beth. Thank you for the follow up.
Hugs,
Melinda
These lessons were some of our "funnest" nights at Bible study- esp. seeing you BLUSH!!!
Thanks for getting the report to us...as a wife of an unbeliever I stay on my knees/face before God that He opens his eyes to the truth that only God can offer.
Thanks for the encouragement...you are wonderful in being transparent with us and letting us know we aren't alone in strugggles.
Love you!!!
I know my husband didn't participate in these questions, however we plan on sitting down and being honest about what his answers would be. I can tell you I am amazingly blessed that God put the two of us together, and I'm humbled that he feels the same way! When talking to my husband about his lack of communication in these areas, he told me he was affraid I would think less of him if he admitted where he was weak. He told me that being able to provide for me and making me happy is when he finds true contentment in our marriage. And above all I can put him on cloud nine by respecting him, praising him, and showing my love for him in obvious ways. In this I have learned that when I strive to make my husband happy (and he's not hard to please) he tries even harder to make me happy. I am so truly blessed by God andn I will never stop being amazed how He has worked in our lives! A good marriage gives glory to God, because He's the One that makes it possible!
Thanks for taking the time to type all that out, Beth! It's really interesting, and you are so sweet and funny! God bless you an extra bunch this week!! :) Love you,
Awesome. Thank you, Beth for sharing this beautiful insight to our men! For the other women that enjoyed reading this, you might want to read Wild at Heart by John Eldredge (I believe that's how his last name is spelled). It's a WONDERFUL book that has taught me so much about how to love my man and raise my boys! Again, thank you Beth! =)
Thank you Beth!
I was reading your blog today and my husband of 21 years came in and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was reading your blog on a survey you had asked husbands. We shared some of the highligts and than he asked me to print off the questions so he could ponder them. Beth, it wasn't even 4 years ago that I had served this same man divorce papers...how humbling to me and glorifying to our great God. Through our love for the one and only our lives and marriage has been transformed. Thank you so much for your ministry and continue encouragement to us all. We are living proof that when God leads, lives are transformed. Blessings.
Beth,
Thank you for sharing about the survey. God always uses what you share in such a way to challenge me and touch my heart. I struggle with the intimacy issue in my marriage. I know some of it is due to some past issues my husband and I have had to deal with, but thank you for the reminder to pray to desire my husband. Please pray with me that I will desire him.
So many things come to mind when I read this entry. One comment I have is to the single Siestas out there - consider the "unequally yoked" verse and how it pertains to your relationship with your future spouse.
Oh my goodness!! What a timely response. My hubby and I just got back from a weekend "alone" (no kids!) We stayed in a beautiful three room suite at the Double Tree hotel that God provided for free (is God good or what??) And I gotta tell you the precious time alone really helped jump start our marriage--all before I even read your post!! Your candid husband comments summary, especially to question #6 are dead on right. Thanks, Beth for taking a "risk," being "real" and sharing the good, bad, and challenging comments with us. And ladies, get away for a weekend with your husband (no kids, housework, or job competing for your attention). It'll work wonders for your relationship.
Still glowing from the weekend,
~Grateful Cheryl
P.S. Check out my blog (Grateful Journal) for more on the weekend. Don’t worry. It’s “G – rated” (tee hee)
Wow! Thanks so much for that information! My husband wasn't part of that survey, but it does sound like things he might answer. I'm praying that we women will take this to heart; that I will take this to heart and live by it. Thanks Beth so much. I love you more and more. I LOVE watching you on Wednesday's. You have spoken directly to me many times and it has been LIFE CHANGING, truly.
WOW!! Thank you so much for that, Beth! I was at both sessions you taught here in Houston where you used these surverys and it was incredibly powerful teaching. I learned so much from the entire teaching on Proverbs, but especially the two sessions on marriage. My husband and I have been married almost 12 years and have had our struggles. Get counseling.......it saved us more than once and is certainly nothing to be ashamed about! Consider it maintenance on your marriage! Thanks again, Beth.
We as wives need to be our man's biggest fan - if we do not lift them up, encourage and respect them, someone else will only be too willing to take the job! Start by appreciating the little things, keep a list of them and refer to it when you begin to feel fustrated.
Society prides itself in insulting the institution of marriage today -the very differences that God created in us (husband and wife)- man treats as liabilties not assests. I like my real man too! Great post today - I want to share these results with my SS friends over dinner - Thanks for the insight!
Beth,
It amazes me how God sends things when you need them. I've really had a difficult time this week with my man and I still am. Thanks for this. I've just got to let God handle it and change me and him. Boy what a task before me.
Thanks for all you and your staff do. You will never know how much you bless me every day.
In Christ
Sherrie W
Yes, some of us know we have a good thing going with our man. A friend of mine recently took her husband out to dinner and said he won the least bad husband award for the neighborhood. I first thought it funny, then thought it true--women always think it would be better if just one more thing were different, and I think men generally are satisfied with the basics you mention. Great insight in the post, and thanks for reminding me I have a winner!
beth- ya know this post reminds me...i saw a sign today while gettin my coconut mocha (thought of you) "stop and smell the coffee" thanks for the post! runnin between ball tournaments & kids camp... i need to
"stop and smell my mans cologne" :)
lovin life in Him-lisa
it's a lovely day at the beach
Dear Beth,
Your report of the survey did stir up some feelings of discouragement in me because my husband (a believer) is not walking his talk. Our relationship would not fall into the -what everyone else's marriage must be like-category. We have had some counseling but it hasn't seemed to change anything. If there's anyone else feeling like that - you might want to click on the 2 radio broadcasts "Face Down". I had just cried out to God and He answered and spoke to my heart through you. Once again He gave the grace to help in time of need.
He is always so good. Thank you, Thank you.
Well, Beth, you and the Holy Spirit have done it again. I am leading A Woman's Heart, God's Dwelling Place at my church and tonight we watched the video where you talk about the brazen altar. Whew!! Boy did I ever need the relief that the altar provided!! I went into that session full of anger at a loved one and the Spirit so convicted my heart that I couldn't wait for you to pray. I had to just close my eyes and pray in the middle of your teaching. How sweet that relief was and what joy washed over me! The Spirit is sooooo faithful. Thank you for doing a remake of The Tabernacle. It is speaking to me in a personal way that the first edition didn't. Don't get me wrong, I loved the first one, but this one is awesome. As you say, I am slayed by it!! Keep on teaching and loving our Lord, siesta!!
Leah
www.thepoint-leah.blogspot.com
Thank you for your comment that abuse requires immediate action. As someone who grew up in an abusive situation, I watched my dad twist healthy comments about marriage (like the ones you made) into reasons to subject ourselves to his behaviors. Thanks for confronting that upfront. What you said about marriage is true - but when you are in abuse, truth can be so confusing and hard to see.
I think it is an awesome testimony that these Godly men opened up and responded to the survey. Lord, open our eyes and allow us to make changes to be the wives they deserve!!
aubrey
This was worth the wait - thank you for posting your survey results. Beth, I couldn't agree more with your advice to fight our battles over/about our men in the heavenlies. So often I have presumed to be the Holy Spirit in my husband's life and it is only when I finally get out of the way that He is free to work. And wonder of wonders - the Spirit doesn't need my help at all! I've been married for nearly 31 years - not all of it pretty - but I wouldn't trade what God has done, and continues to do, for anything.
Thanks Beth for the insite, especially the intimacy thing. Sometimes I need to be reminded. I do want my husband to want me but maybe sometimes not SOOOO much!
Ha-Ha!!!
You are awesome!
Thanks for this great report!
Interestingly enough, our pastor preached on relationships today and touched on the differences of men and women. One neat thing I heard on James Dobson this week was that it's important for women to have friends and not expect their husbands to meet all their needs. When I personally learned to let God meet my needs and had less expectations out of my husband and friends, all my relationships improved! He is faithful to meet us where we are.
Thanks!
I noticed that Beth's 2008 schedule is posted on her web site under Events/Schedule.
Intimacy. Why so hard? Certainly was not in the beginning when love was new. Now, with a toddler and another baby on the way, I am TIRED. I see I need to pray for strength and energy for other things besides taking care of my child. Or boss. I need to take care of my husband too. Even if I feel FAT. Oh, I am not the skinny girl he met years ago... Why does this mess with my confidence so?
I just have to say that I found the answers to your survey enlightening! I'm single, and never been married. My friends have always told me to someday marry a Christian man, even though they know I'm not a Christian. I always wondered why, and after reading the answers to your survey, I now understand why. They, although not perfect because no one is, possess the qualities in a person that I admire and respect. So thanks for sharing, and maybe someday I'll understand what this whole Christianity stuff is about. Thanks!
Your first comment - from a single female. I like reading about what guys think. It prepares me for when I get married I will have some type of clue on how to handle my guy.
Beth, thanks for the intimacy advice. That is (almost) our number one problem. I have never thought to go to God on that one. I guess I was too embarrassed to want to talk about it. You had a wonderful point with "want him to want YOU." You're right. They are going to want regardless. I'd rather have him here with me, than off with someone else. You are the best!
Beth,
I want to thank you for doing this survey and sharing your godly advice, and counsel on marriage. Even though I am divorced (10 yrs.) I wish that there had been someone to give the help that you have just given. I don't want the enemy to take another marriage. I see the after effect on my two boys and it is heart breaking. I want to see divorce stop with me and I pray that they will be godly husbands one day, if that is what God chooses for their lives! God has healed my heart in the past ten years, this is something I can say that God has given me complete victory over. I truly fought for my marriage but in the end it takes two. However, I have had the most sacred romance of my lifetime with Jesus!! Even though I am not married, I wanted you to know this post helps single people, too! Thank you and God bless you a zillion times over!!!
Love,
Patty
Thank you Beth. I would humbly ask you to pray with those of us whose husbands will not commit to counseling. It is difficult, obviously, to wait upon the Lord when you feel like the encouragement toward your man is not coming back to you. I know love is supposed to be unconditional, and I am working on my attitude toward that.
I was so glad to see someone else comment about how no one ever talks about a man needing to see to the physical needs of his wife. My husband and I are opposites of what some call the norm. I always want physical intimacy and he can settle for once a month and sometimes less! It's hard to sit at marriage seminars and this never be addressed. It's like it is acceptable for a man to want "it" but not a woman. Thanks for the encouragement, Jennyhope.
Sweet Beth,
First, Praise God, you are physically all right. With no word for a week from anyone, I was so worried and have been praying for all of you. I feared your family may be in the floods.
I can't imagine how hard it has been for you to lose your Dad and your dear friend so closely together, AND work at the same time. When we are fragile, sometimes we must weep before the Lord, handing Him our grief, before He can heal our wounds. I pray He continues to bind up your wounds in His healing love daily, wiping every tear from your eyes.
I loved reading these results, and having them as a reminder that almost 39 years of marriage doesn't guarantee a perfect life from your husband; but fighting in the heavenlies on your knees or prostrate before the Throne of Grace guarantees God is in there fighting for your marriage every day! Hallelujah!
Siestas, I encourage you to order Volumes 1 & 2 of Beth's teachings from Life Today. They are five hour-long wonderful teachings in each volume for your listening and learning pleasure! As a "Martha" mostly, the Lord is giving me a "Mary" summer, and I am loving it!
You are His princess, Sweet Beth, and beloved by me and thousands of women! Thank you for all of your hard work. God bless and have a special week in His grace.
Beth,
WOW! Such food for thought....as I read your comments of the survey, it caused me to wonder what my hubby would say about me...I know he must endure alot lving with me because we are so different!!...And I have the problem of wanting to be in charge of everything...including my husband! Bless his heart! He must truly love me to put up with me!
Beth in NC
This brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for doing this survey! My man didn't participate (I'm a newcomer to this blog!) but I could "hear" him in some of the comments. The one that hit home the most for me was about letting our men be men, especially in terms of spirituality and not being as mushy about Christ as we are. ;) That's actually something my husband and I had a long talk about this weekend! And God has been showing us how beautifully He has made us to balance and complement each other rather than to be just alike. I admit, there have been many times, especially early on, when I did feel critical or judgmental of him for approaching quiet time differently than I did or some similar issue. And now I realize it has nothing to do with him being "less spiritual," but everything to do with him being a man! And I am so thankful for how he inspires me to be more active in my faith--WALKING with Jesus rather than being so focused on sitting and chatting with Him. We (as genders) can learn a lot from each other, and your comments to the Siestas were right on!
I agree with the blogger who commented on some men having intimacy "issues". Some men have issues that affect physical intimacy and the wives of these men are in a SEVERE minority of a group with no one to talk to. I also agree with the blogger that this topic should be considered and talked about more often. A lot of times it's not an attraction issue...it's a physical or psychological issue that affects them. This should be checked into.
Found your post through Jess at Making Home. You make a lot of interesting points.
I would like to suggest that it is possible to have a good marriage without both partners being Christians.
My Jewish parents had an incredible marriage, which I credit with giving my siblings and me a great model of how to make relationships work (four strong marriages, no divorces among us).
I have Jewish friends, aunts, uncles and cousins who also have wonderful marriages.
It may amaze you to hear that there are even secular people in devoted, loving marriages. I could introduce you to several couples who fit this description in Des Moines, Iowa.
My point is not to discourage anyone from striving for the Christian marriage you are describing.
I only want to point out that Christians do not have a global monopoly on secrets to a happy marriage.
Laurie B
For too, too long, we God-followers have left the issues of physical intimacy, marriage communication and committment to Hollywood and love novels. By choosing to protect our own privacy we leave ourselves and our friends vulnerable to find information in the wrong places. We need to be sharing, in wise ways, our struggles and what we have seen God do among us. Even just knowing that those we love and respect have struggled before us can open the door of hope and wisdom as we each walk the paths we've chosen.
Thanks for discussing this and many thanks to you and Keith for sharing your own walk of committment. Our Enemy wants our marriages...to destroy them. The surest ways to defeat our Enemy are prayer, love, forgiveness and honesty.
Cover all of that in the mercy of Christ's blood...and we can begin to take our families back. My prayers and God's blessings on you who are deep in a struggle right now. On your knees before Him may you find your perfect Protector, Lover and Friend. He sees you and cares. May He redeem your difficult times to His Glory.
Beth,
I needed to hear those answers. I am working on 15 years of marriage. We are, by ONLY the GRACE of God, one of those happy marriages.
However, sometimes I think I do try to wear the pants. :~) I think I tell my man that I respect, love, and honor him alot, but sometimes, I know my actions do not support that-
This opened my eyes, that A.) I need to thank God that I have a beautiful marriage and that we are happy, which in itself is beautiful..but B.) pray and not nag...C.)Remember I married a man...a Man....
all so very true-
Thank You!!
Way to go Beth! I think you did great summarizing all those comments from the men - I am sure it was a long process, but golly, how eye opening! Again, thank you. My husband and I will celebrate 6 adventurous years at the end of July; while in seminary early on in our marriage at a women's event at our church a woman once said this in regards to INTIMACY - there are Snacks, Dinners,and Banquets. Snacks are short, Dinners are longer than snacks and Banquets, well, that might me a few hours worth. My husband and I loved that so much that it's the lingo we use. We are usually up front about it and he can almost always tell which I am in the mood for. It works for us.
Thank you again! I think lots of women will be grateful for it.
Beth,
Thank you for this post. I've only been married 10 months, but it was encouraging to me. And like you, I appreciate a man being a man. I thought of this quote by C.S. Lewis:
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."
Love you,
Megan
Beth,
Thank-you for the post. My sweet hubby is among the cream of the crop...how I need to be reminded of that from time to time. And thank-you for sharing with us from the guy-side. We did Shaunti Feldhahn's "For Women Only..." a while back and it was an eye opener for all of us in the group...would highly recommend it to anyone who wants insight into the men in their life and how to relate to them.
joyfully,
kat
Thank you, Beth for sharing these words of admonition and encouragement. Much of it is a powerful reminder of things I know to be true...but for it all to come straight from the mouths of men - well, that adds an extra punch!
My husband and I are happily married, deeply committed to one another..and yet we find ourselves, after the death of his beloved father (I have thought of you so many times after hearing of your father's homegoing) this year, at a fork in the path we are walking together. And our dreams do not "appear" to lead us down the same path at this divergence. It seems clear to me that, at least for now, the Holy Spirit has asked me to lay down my dreams for the sake of my husband's.
It is a difficult process, requiring lots of repentance on my part and requiring me to set my face like flint (resolving, as it were!) on my Father. He has tenderly reminded me that He knows me better than I even know myself and that He knows what work He is perfecting in me and in my husband - and what is required to reach that end. All I really desire is for my dreams to line up with His dreams for us as a couple anyway!
Your call to us - from the men who completed your survey - to SUPPORT them is a right now word for me. THANK YOU. (Sorry it wasn't brief!)
Love and blessings,
amy
Beth, Thank you for this post. It took a lot of time to think through and write and we appreciate it.
I married my husband almost 14 years ago thinking that we were probably unequally yoked but knowing that I had not asked God if this was His will for me. (I was afraid that He would say no). For 11 years I felt unforgiveable. Then I took your Believing God study and you asked us - Isn't ten years long enough?! - referring to accepting God's forgiveness for something. It was exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you. Such freedom. And now it seems that my husband is more interested or open to God. I don't know if his faith is a saving faith or still a head knowledge faith but I am learning to let God worry about that. Recently I have seen so many changes in him. I have started to use a prayer journal to record these answers to prayer. It seems like God is drawing him in. I vacillate between being excited and unsure. But mostly excited.
Although another lady recommended the book, "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, I must second it. I HIGHLY recommend it! It is eye opening.
Thank you, Beth. #6 is the one that related most to me.
Also thanks to Siestas "jennyhope" & "ramona in Kentucky" - your posts blessed & encouraged me.
Love ya'll all.
Beth,
Thank you so much for always being honest with us. Something you said several years ago (Believing God?) changed the way I looked at my husband. It was something to the effect that only Jesus can really fulfill all our deepest needs and we need to let our husbands, children, friends, etc. off the hook. It freed him up to just be my man! It also helped when I stopped trying to make him Super Church Boy. Reading books by John Eldredge helped me understand more about men's struggles, along with some Godly counseling. I can say something that, a few years ago, I never thought I'd be able to say. We are SO happy. After 24 years of marriage we are both so busy trying to bless the other one, and laughing our heads off every day. Many times over the course of this marriage we could hardly stand the sight of each other. It helped so much to hear that you have struggled with your marriage. May God continue to bless you and Keith.
Michelle
AMEN! Thank you so much for posting this- my husband of 7 years tells me all the time that he wishes I saw myself the way he sees me; that he thinks I'm more beautiful now than the 18-year-old he started dating 9 years and 3 kids ago...
We do need to remember not to be so hard on ourselves- we may not be perfect, but in many ways he thinks we are!
God spoke directly to me today through you, Beth. First, I am competent and I can be confident in myself with Christ living in me. Second, I need to let my husband be himself and stop trying to change him. He is a wonderful Christian man and I need to let him be just that. Thank you for letting the Spirit speak through you.
Oh Beth, some of that really hits home for me. You guess which part.... Grrr. Praise God that my husband wants ME. Thank you for not letting this one slip through the cracks of your incredibly busy life. It was such a blessing.
Oh, oh, I love you.
Beth,
As a Single women, who wants to be a wife and mother soo badly, I was very intrested in what the results of the survey were going to be. The majority of my friends are older than me by quite a bit. Most the same age as my parents. I have been blessed to see many different kinds of marriages and hear about how they work from my friends. But that is just the women's point of view. I was glad to hear some of what the men had to say about it and what you said about what they said. All my life when I would say that all I wanted was to be a wife and mother, people would say its not all fun and games. I know that! I may appear naive but I know its not going to be a barrel of fun all the time. There will be hard times, but even knowing that I still want to be married! I'm ready to have some one there to go through life with. To be there when the hard times come and go through them with you.
I must admit that I have had my doubts that there were some guys out there that were wanting the same thing. I haven't met all that many guys that seem ready to get married and do life with someone. Its hard to not get depressed thinking that the day will never come when I will get married but I am trusting God to bring Mr Right along one day. Believe me, I have not waited this long to settle for Mr RightNow! I would rather stay single than marry the wrong guy, but that doesn't make it any easier.
Thank you for reminding me that there are Godly men out there and letting us in on how they see things in married life. You are awesome think about even asking the guys. I am glad to hear it from you instead of some trashy magazine (which I don't read, but that seems to be the only place where we hear how guys see relationships)
Thanks again!
Love ya!
Nikki
PS Loved the comment about the Sticky Sensitive Metro side etc...
Thats too funny!! Cause Ive hoped that my guy will be exactly like that!!
This good stuff can really help in understanding how men think even though I am a single woman. You have certainly shared many things that my guy friend has shared. Support and appreciation are top on his list. The other, intimacy is important but won't go there w/o marriage! Allison
O.k. one more comment on this. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian is an excellent resource. I claimed Joel 2:25 for months over my marriage. "I will restore to you the years that the swarming locusts have eaten." The lie that the enemy had convinced me of was that it was too late. I believed it of many more things in my life than just my marriage it was one of the many strongholds that I overcame by Breaking Free. Recently we had some college atheletes in our home for dinner and there was the loving banter (sass) that goes on now, we had the most delightful evening. While my husband stepped out of the room and I was doing dishes I overheard one of those young men remark, "wow , they are like, the perfect family" If he only knew the battles waged in the heavenlies, the hour by hour of choosing to believe God over my enemy, the fasting and hours of prayer. But I knew in that moment God had restored all he had promised to, and more. He is truly the God of his word. He is FOR us and our marriages.
p.s. my husband thinks you are awesome!
Michelle
My husband and I are celebrating our eighth anniversary on Wednesday, yes the 4th of July, so much for Independence!
This blog was such a great reminder for me of the gift God has given me in my husband.
I can't even recount for you the ways God has matched my husbands gifts with my needs. God is so good! Thanks for the reminders, and encouragment that my man's Christ-like manliness is not only "normal" but God given.
Praise, Praise, Praise!
How timely this is! Just this morning I was throwing myself a little pity party that dear hubby wasn't spiritually leading this household like I thought he should - ha! What a great reminder of what an awesome hubby I have and that he does it in the way God is leading him. Thanks for the shift in perspective! As soon as I read this, I called him at work to tell him what a great provider he is for our family and how proud I am of him.
That was so great to read... thanks so much!
Dear Beth,
Girl, oh my word, you are right on target with the husband survey. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this for us. It is so important for us as women, to know in our heads, that it is not only ok to have intimacy, but God designed it for us with our husbands. So many of us were taught that it is a wifely duty, like keeping house, or it's wrong, good girls don't do that, or it's only for procreation. The church just can't seem to get a handle on how to biblically teach it, because it is such controversial, and sensitive subject matter.. There seems to be a fear of teaching it (I understand why!), but in the meantime, satan is running away with destroying our marriages in the church,because of our "lack of knowledge" Hosea 4:6. Song of Solomon is a wonderful example for us, but so many churches steer away from it because of contoversy. I have just started teaching a class for our church that is a biblical look at intimacy. The women have all asked, why until now has the church kept quite? The response to the class has been overwhelming. God is doing a great work. I really feel what the enemy can keep in the dark, he does, because it is how he operates. God has a pefect plan for our marriages, Thank you, thank you Beth for sharing with us on this timely topic and for listening to the Holy Spirits direction. My burden is huge to help young married women in this area. My husband and I have been married for almost 29 yrs. Many times thru those years it almost perished for lack of what God's word says about intimacy and how important it is not just for our guys, but for us. we have 2 grown sons (a brand spankin new grandson), and 2 teenage daughters, (that I am teaching God's design for marriage, and what our role as wives should be.) Yes, I taught my boys how to be sensitive and love and nourish their wives, but we do need to be teaching our girls that intimacy is ok with God, His plan for marriage, and take back control of what the enemy has tried to corrupt in so many homes. More than anything else I could teach to the ladies in my classes, is exactly what you said you have to go before the Lord and stay on your knees and ask for guidance, wisdom, knowledge,desire,strength, and creativity. I did, and still do, and believe me it works, and He will give it all freely and abundantly. There are tons of great books available at Lifeway to help you along the way. Thanks so very much Beth for being so tender, and gentle with how you handled a very tender subject! In the siestas, pray for me as I teach this class. I don't know why the Lord has burden my heart and chosen me for this....it's not what I would have chosen, but pray that He will be glorified through all we say and do and He will change marriages thru it. I have almost given up many times, because of fear, but He continues to pull me back and lead me on. Love and many many blessings to you Beth. You go girl.... Kim C
This was interesting and the comments are even more so. In our case, without the divine Grace of God we would not be together after 23 years.
My 6'2" tall Texas man is the most manly to me when he holds my hand as we walk to church. When we take communion and he holds my hand- well the tears are falling now. That is intimacy at it's best!
How important it is to be in prayer for our husbands! I can testify to the power of a praying wife! I watched my mom ask my dad to church every Saturday for 28 years. I watched her pray for my dad for 28 years. One Sunday my dad woke up (all of us kids had been long gone by then), my mom reported to us, and told her he was going to church with her! On May 9, 1999, he confessed the good Lord as his Savior and was baptized! That, by the way, was Mother's Day that year! He hadn't even told my mom he was going to do it! Blessedly, I and my fiancee (now husband) were home to witness this event! CHILLS AND TEARS to watch the Lord produce fruit! It's been 8 years, and my mom and dad are great!
Beth,
One more thing...sorry. You have to be so blessed by all of the siestas comments and those from their hubbies surveys. (This is an epic topic!) :) I just have to say thank you to the siestas, because your comments are so encouraging for me to continue on, and I have gained so much "knowledge" reading this today to help me with my class. And to the siestas that this is hard to get a handle on today, just know that I am praying for you that God will move in your life in a mighty way. Take heart we've all been where you are at some point. You've all blessed my socks off today! I love ya Siestas! Kim C
We would not be together if it wasn't for God being the center of our relationship!!
Thank you for reminding me to bring my husband's schedule to the Father, and to leave it in the Father's hands! My husband of 15 years is a brilliant pastor who works too hard. It was very insightful to see that many men worry about being able to provide for their families, which can lead to putting in many hours at work. The worst thing I could do is nag him for working too many hours and not be appreciative of his valiant effort to provide for us. Do not worry about anything- pray about everything- SIMPLE!
I'm single and generally completely annoyed at any marriage talk...especially sermons...grrr makes me want to stay home! Anyway, I totally loved this blog...it's great info that I may or may never get to use but loved it anyway. Was moved to tears on the "what you wish your wife knew..." part. I never in my wildest dreams thought guys thought that way.
Thanks for sharing.
Great insight and things we need to hear from the hearts of Godly men. Reading Beth's comments reminded me very much of the tone, advice and urging of Dr. Laura's book Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. Dr. Laura is/was a practicing orthodox Jew but I found her instructions very applicable to sound Biblical advice as she pulls much from the Old Testament. Thanks for the time to listen to men and the time to feed it back to the blog. Blessings, Jill
Ms. Beth,
I hope you don't mind that I have printed your comments to keep with me. I shall pull them out often to read again. As I read "the results" all I could do to not cry, all the time thinking/wondering if my husband would have said similar comments. Especially the one about being too hard on myself.
Thank you - this "study" is an inspiration to me and will be in the future.
I love you, your family and your staff.
Asheville, NC
Beth,
You are such a blessing!! Your survey underlines everything in Shaunti Feldhaln's book For Women Only -- What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men.
I passed this book around the women's group at our church, and was a little surprised that some women did not agree with some of the points -- arguing that respect needs to be earned, not just given because it is a need in their life and that sex does not change everything (chap 5) because men shouldn't be putting so much emphasis on this one point.
Wow! Please mention this book for further info in connection to your survey -- our Christian Siestas really need to understand this stuff, for the sake of their marriages, their children and for the glory of God Almighty!!
Thanks for all you do for our Lord and Savior,
Julie
Thanks jennyhope.
Sometimes no mattter what you do, no matter what you say, no matter how hard you try, the guy you're married to just doesn't want you--whether you're Princess Diana or the Princess of the King of Kings--but we always know there is our Prince Charming Who thinks we are beautiful and writes us love letters made in Heaven..
OK, this is good stuff and I'm so glad I read it. I have had a question for a LONG time and once I throw this out there, you'll see why I've still got it...it's a weird thing to ask. I know it's hard for you to answer questions on this blog and if you can't that's ok, maybe another dear sister will have some good biblical insight she can share. On the subject of "intimacy", having not been Christians when my husband and I married and having done things ALL wrong back then, I'm afraid we are still too carnal in that area...??? Could this be? I'm biting my lip in half as I write this, I hate this topic but I always worry about it. My husband, a godly man, thinks everything is fine but....you know? Ugh. What a question. AJ, if you don't publish this, I will understand completely...I just needed to throw it out there. And not in the direction of my poor unsuspecting pastor. :)
I just shared this with my husband and the timing is so sweet. We just got home from our week together away from our kids for our 10 year anniversary. We asked God for some serious reconnection and He so graciously did that. It was not in the way we thougth it would happen but we are so grateful for His perfect and wonderful ways. Tears were shed and hearts were open in ways only God himself would allow so that He could cover our love for each other with His own. It seems that communication often becomes difficult in marriages and rededicating my marriage to Him daily will be a priority I cannot neglect. Thank you for being so honest about your own marriage...it has helped to know that anyone who says marriage is perfect is a "liar, liar, pants on fire!" Love you much Beth!
Thank you, sweet Beth!
I wanted to mention that I ordered your Wising Up DVD series and LOVED it! Anyone reading this would enjoy it, too!
Thanks for taking the time to get back with on this one and for keeping your word to us!!
It is ONLY because of God that my husband and I will celebrate our 6th Anniversary on July 7th!!!
Your words of encouragement are such a blessing to me (...and my husband...wink, wink)!!
-Angie xoxo
Beth,
My cousin emailed me this blog and I am so glad that she did. My husband and I have had a rough year but with God's help we are making it through it. He is very insecure (even though we have been together 15 years and he is the only man I have ever been with, loved, or even looked at funny) and he tells me all the time that I married beneath myself, which really upsets me because I did not!! I wish I could make him see what a wonderful man he is and why I love him so much but it was reassuring I guess to see that other men have those same qualms, why I don't know. Women are very choosy, all the ones I am lucky enough to have in my life are anyway, and I can't think of a single one who who marry someone they didn't believe was worthy. To all the men out there, WOMEN DON'T SETTLE!! We see what we want and go after it, and we are blessed to have our husbands. I keep praying that someday my husband will realize just how luckly I think I am, and maybe then he will be able to deal with his insecurities, please pray for him as I do, and maybe someday he will understand his value not only to me but also to God....Thank you for this blog, it is nice to know that I am not alone in this struggle.
D.
I love this post and agree with some of the other bloggers about the similarity to Shaunti Feldhahn's book "For Women Only". It's a great little read as is her companion book "For Men Only". I don't know about any of you but I've learned over the years that my man is not so much interested in reading these type of books as I am. I just gobble them up (parenting/marriage type books) and any I have purchased for him seem to be collecting dust. That's okay...I use to be upset by this, but it's just not him. God has created us all very differently and it's probably one of the biggest things that I am finally learning...it's okay that we're different. My inner voice struggle is always that I am right or this is the best/right way. Not So!! We and men/women in general are different...think differently and process life differently...it's what keeps it all interesting I might add. I think as women we tend to want them to process things as we do, but why should they...they're not women. It's what makes the dance of marriage so complicated at times but also so intriguing and wonderful. God made him and us uniquely for a purpose...let's celebrate our differences as God's perfect design!!! This applies to all those at times stressful areas like intimacy/communication/security/spiritually....the list goes on. Embrace and enjoy the men that God has blessed us with (not comparing him with someone else!!!!). Blessings to you all!!
Beth,
The times when our marriage of 12 years falters are when I try to make my sweet husband stand in the place reserved for Christ alone. He is not only incapable, he didn't ask me to put him there. When I remember that Christ is my first love, I am able to love my hubby wisely, truly and in the best way. It is such freedom to be in love with Jesus. And I know my sweet husband wouldn't want it any other way.
Did I hear mention of Coconut Mocha? I thought I created that! It's my signature drink at our local coffee shop, Cutter's Point! Great minds...Thanks Beth. Again. Julie B. Tucson Arizona
Beth,
Thank you so much for these wonderful words and research! Knowing these things help us get over those moments when our husbands make us so angry that we wait for them to call so we can not answer the phone! ha!
Beth - Thanks for sharing the guys' candid answers! I want my husband to want me!
Women spend so much money these days on plastic surgery - I never realized that men are just as insecure as we are, just in a different way.
Thanks!!
Jane
My husband participated in this survey... and I can say that I'm not surprised by anything here.. nor do I disagree...
I think this is the key to a healthy marriage.. and most likely why ours has been healthy thus far...
Our kids would just die...LOL....
Thanks for taking the time to do this....
blessings...
Thank you for sharing the results with us, Beth. I am married to a manly man, and I too love when he puts on his hiking boots (instead of cowboy boots like Keith). :-)
Thanks Beth for the update! My hubby and I had a fabulous lunch discussing the results. He was anxious to tell me what he said and I was all ears! Blessings!
Beth, I, (and my marriage) have so desperately needed a WORD from God, and here it is. I had no clue you had even done a survey, so as I was reading the results, the Lord spoke to me! I am convicted and will try again. I have a great and Godly husband, I must be losing my 41 year old mind, or something, because I was almost convinced that divorce was the only answer, but of course, it is not even one of the choices! God Bless!
Debbie from South Carolina
I wanted to comment on this statement posted by another sister:
I have heard women feel so ashamed thinking that they were alone and why is every other man wanting their wife but their man doesn't want them? I think the enemy is really gaining ground with this...making women feel alone here.
Because I wanted to scream, "Yes!!" I felt that way so often in the earliest years of our marriage (10 years now). There are NO books out there that address this issue and I felt so lost. Fortunately, God was able to counsel me through His Word on this, and use some of the negatives as positives to teach me things about myself. Things are much better now, but I did want to say "If this is you, you are NOT alone." It isn't YOU. I think somehow there is a stereotype out there that only men want "it" and women should just oblige. It seems to me that there are many other women out there who are more interested than their man, "role reveral" of a type. I'd like to see more helpful counsel for women who find themselves on the opposite side of the fence on this perennial (and sensitive) topic.
Maybe Beth, you could do some type of blog on this issue for us??
Beth,
Thank you so much for inspiring me & other women to love Jesus and crave the Word. This is my first comment, but I've been reading this blog for a while. It's now my homenpage to help me keep my eyes on the Lord!
My husband and I have been married for 23 years. We've been through some dark times with divorce imminent, but by God's grace we are doing great. I attribute a good deal of our success to God changing MY attitude toward the man He blessed me with.
Your survey results sound exactly like the book God led me to -- Dr. Laura Schlessinger's "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands". She also polled men and they all said the same things. They want to be respected. They want to be our heroes. They want to be appreciated. They want intimacy. And they want to be men!
I am absolutely in love with my husband, and I thank God for working miracles to heal our marriage and keep our family whole.
Beth,
Thanks you so much for this reminder. Too often I think, "If only he'd change this..." when I need to be the one on my knees letting God work in me, and through me. This is a keeper, one I will print off and keep in my Bible. You never fail to touch my heart with your words.
Love,
Michelle
Beth,
I just started "blogging" after the Columbia, SC event so my husband couldn't take the survey. But I have a feeling his responses would have been right in line with the other great guys you got feedback from. We will be married 22 years in August, and without a doubt the present is best time of our marriage because we've finally got serious about Jesus. We're done just "going to church". We're now trying to live the thing out in our day-to-day. Your survey reminds me again how special our marriage is and how much I still have to learn! Thank you for taking the time to put all that info together. You and your staff are the BEST!
Dear Beth,
Thank you do much for sharing....may every husband and wife truly appreciate the beauty of an imperfect marriage! There is not a day that goes by that we don't need be forgiven or need to forgive!
In His adventure,
daj
To the anonymous siesta with the carnal intimacy question (if I may approach this)? I too married my husband when we were both in the ways of the world and now we're both believers. I have raised the same question, but only to my husband. He tells me that our intimacy is between us and for us to enjoy one another, not with anyone else.
I too am seeking answers on this one. I have been in prayer as I dont discuss it with others. As I pray, I have peace about being with my husband. I havent gotten any profound scriptural answers or godly wisdom from counselors on this one. But I think as long as each of you focus on each other and not imagine outside those boundaries it is intimacy God allows. Pray & pray some more. Others may have more insight on this if allowed to post. May the Lord Bless your marriage relationship.
Thanks so much for the response to the survey. I'm blessed to have been married to my man for 12 years. He is the pastor of a church, and I love serving alongside him. We are very blessed with a great marriage(notice I did not say problem-free!) and 2 wonderful kids. God was at the center when we began our journey together and he is at the center today.
Beth,
Thanks again for the reminder to stay on our knees and let God to the work. It amazes me how so many of us can feel like you are speaking directly to us. I thank God for you.
Beth,
I think one of the best lessons GOD has taught me, through you, is to fight my battles in the heavenlies. It really works. GOD either convicts my husband or changes my heart, without the first nagging word to my husband. Of course I have to remind him sometimes that he is really lucky that I take all my junk to GOD and not him. LOL!!
We have been married for sixteen years and I amazed at the work he is doing in our marriage since placing most of the battles in the heavenlies. (I would be lying to say all of the battles). GOD has laid it on my heart to begin praying "LORD help me to see my husband through your eyes and not my own." My vision is being transformed.
I have been blessed by all of the post and have appreciated the honesty.
Karen
My sweet husband didn't fill out the survey, but I could see parts of him all through out the other mens comments. What a blessing it was to read this today.
Blessings,
Georgia Mom
For the two sisters seeking answers to what's acceptable in your intimate life with your spouse...I know of a pastor who did a phenomenal series called "Sex in the Suburbs" where he SPECIFICALLY and OPENLY (from the pulpit) talked about what is biblically/physically/spiritually acceptable in a married couple's sex life. The sermon series is entitled "Sex in the Suburbs" and you can order the CD's from the series by contacting his church. The website is www.highpointechurch.org. The pastor's name is Kevin Sullivan. He's a godly, on-target man. Another resource would be a course taught by a couple that lives in California (but they travel and teach the course in various states). It's called "Solomon, Sex & Marriage". The couple's name is Shane and Phyllis Womack and you can reach them at www.kacc.com.
The question you are asking is NOT TRIVIAL at all. It's important that you get clarity on what is God-honoring in the bedroom/marriage and what is not. I am pastor's wife and this info. is all legitimate. I hope it helps.
Dearest Siesta-Beth and AJ:
Thanks for the imput and the encouragement. I was a little discouraged because for the past seven years Satan has gone against me in two ways specifically. One was against me in trying to make sure I am never planted (never in my own home) and also in the area of my marriage. You were very encouraging that GOD IS ABLE! I know that, and since I've been Believing Him, I found Him to be MORE THAN ENOUGH! Thank you for the Good Word!
I love you-
Lisa
I think as women (and I promise this is not an excuse) that it is difficult for us to always have to be the ones that are responsible for "holding everything together" and making sure "everyone's needs are met." It is quite an exhausting job and we can grow weary from it. I know the Lord is the one from whom we draw our strength...but sometimes I think that by "holding everything together" for our husbands, we can become enablers of them - putting most of the responsibility on us and less responsibility on them. Meaning...we turn into the ones who always reconcile or always start a necessary conversation, etc., and that gets them off of the hook from having to do it themselves. And then they don't ever take on that responsibility because they know we will do it. Does that make sense to anyone? I could use a shout out! :-)
Sometimes I wonder why my husband has stayed with me for 21 years.
Twenty-two years ago I accepted Jesus, the man – the man who walked the earth, the man who was flesh and blood. We went to church – but I was dead inside.
Last year I accepted Jesus Christ the God, the Savior, the Lord, who was crucified for my sins, who rose on the third day and Who gives me LIFE. The One who dwells daily in my soul.
Oh, my goodness. My man has stood beside me all these years. He would have had every “right” to have left me. I was the one who was out of control – not him. God used my husband to show me the Way. God has changed my life – and sometimes I wonder why He chose ME – through my husband – the faithful one.
The next 20 years are going to be really fun!
Julie
From Georgia
Thank you so much for this post. I am ordering Wising Up for myself as a brithday present to me. My man participated in the survey. I know I need to spend more time being thankful for him and less time "helping" God move him toward spiritual leadership. He is a Christian with different lifestyle convictions than me. What I have to remember is....God is working on my junk and on his. His timing, His ways. Oh...and I know I need to losen up and work on my sass. He's been telling me to lighten up for 13 years. :)
One more note on the subject of intimacy ... since I've noticed one theme in some of the comments:
I recently read an article reporting survey results in which husbands and wives had been polled about their respective desire levels for intimacy. Surprisingly, only 1/4 of husbands had a stronger desire than their wives; in about 1/4 of marriages, the wife had the stronger desire, and in half of marriages, they said they were about equal! I think that in society and especially in Christian circles, it's just assumed--and even preached and taught--that it's always (or almost always) the husband who wants it more, but apparently that's not the case.
If I may be allowed one more note? For those with questions or struggles in this area, I would highly recommend books by Christian author Douglas E. Rosenau, especially A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy. [Moderator: Feel free to delete everything after "Rosenau" if you're trying to keep the "s" word off the blog. ;)]
I have been out of town and I was so excited when I opened the blog and found "The Husbands Survey!" I had just ordered the dvds last week! I loved everything you said! It is all so true! One thing I wanted to share with my Siestas...For my 40th birthday I wanted to go on this 8 day intense marriage retreat for my birthday present...(I LOVE that kind of stuff, my husband on the other hand is a more introverted hunter, fisher, golfer kind of guy so I knew he would have to go if it was my birthday present : ) ) We went it was awesome! (my husband LOVED it too!) The couple who teaches it said if there was one thing to take home after the 20 years they have taught the retreat it would be the IMPORTANCE of being in the Word together and Praying TOGETHER daily! They said if months after the retreat a couple called in and said they were starting to have problems again the first question they ask them is," Are you spending time together in scripture and praying together?"... almost 100% of the time they say, "Well...we did...but then life got busy"....(you know ...) They tell them to go back to their times together in the mornings (or nights) and call them back in 3 weeks...99.9% of the time the problems were solved (isn't that so COOL!!) We have been married 18 1/2 years have 4 kids and always had a good marriage (I know not perfect) but I can say after that retreat we started doing a devotional together in the morning and praying together...(we had never really done that) Siestas I PROMISE!!!! Our marriage is so much stronger because of this time together! Jesus is awesome! There is something so supernatural about it! (obviously) I am sure a lot of you all probably already do this...but for those of you who don't I promise if WE can do it anybody can do it!! It does take a commitment...and don't be legalistic about it if you miss a time or two....but I am telling you the days we go together before the throne being real with our problems and struggles...is amazing you can tell a difference! : )
*** And again as an encouragement to those who think it would be impossible to do this with your husband...get on your knees...on your face and pray! I had prayed for years that we would do something like this together...He will answer that prayer! He will I promise!!! (what could be more in His will then that one!!! : )***
I LOVE ALL YOU GIRLS! GBY- Emmy : )
Miss Beth,
Oh I just wish I had time to read all of these comments! But I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for sharing the results of this survey to me. I take my marriage seriously, I love my husband, and it's so great to have a reminder of these important things.
I want to thank you especially for addressing the issues of intimacy. God used a book by a non-Christian writer (whom I acutally don't read anymore via the Holy Spirit's direction) about two years ago to wake me up about how I was starving my husband from intimacy. I wish there were more Christian resources out there that spoke very open, cleary, and succinctly about how crucial intimacy is in a marriage. And it isn't only my husband that has benefited from my recommittment ;).
Thanks so much!
-Nicole
Thanks for sharing the results-it's an encouragement to us to keep treating them well and to know how much they love and appreciate us.
Love Ya Siesta!
Janelle
Beth,
I do not know what my man sent in, however, I know it was to the perfect answers to all your questions. We just returned from a 36 hour "smoochy" as our daughter calls it and I am more in love with my man than when I married him. To show you what kind of man he is, we planned a road trip for our 20th wedding anniversary (Aug.29)and he when he asked what gift I would like, I told him I wish I could be under the roof top with you, Kay and Priscialla at "Deeper Still". Well, he is driving me straight to "Deeper Still" in Nashville for my anniversary gift (I got one of the last tickets before it sold out) along with some other nice things planned along the way to our final destination. He is the man God had planned for me, and I try really hard to be his woman as only he can imagine! He is my second husband after an abusive 17 year marriage.......and for all the women that maybe in an abusive relationship, get out, get help and let Jesus heal your hurts! You can email me also....been there/done that...ebmhatsbygraceministries@msn.com Serving Jesus, another beth
Oh my gracious, can I just send a big thank you to the siesta who responded to my "carnal intimacy" issue! Those are literally the exact words my husband has said to me and I still so struggle. But I can not tell you how much it helps sometimes to know you aren't the only person in the world with a particular struggle! God is so good to bring His children together to help and support one another. Thank you simply for responding so that I know you're out there with me on this one! Beth, in reading some of these comments, I think you have opened the door on some intimacy issues some of us could use a little divine guidance on! Would you consider a blog session on helping a sista out?? :) Lots of love to you dear one!
Beth, what a wonderful thing this survey has turned out to be!
As I read the comments from women wishing there were more resources for Christian women about intimacy, just thought I'd share about a book I wrote that was released earlier this year.
Is That All He Thinks About? (How to Enjoy Great Sex with Your Husband) Harvest House Publishers
The response I've gotten has been overwhelming--changed hearts, changed marriages. Wow--God has been so good to let me be a part of it.
I sent a copy to you and Amanda a few months ago, but your correspondent says you haven't received them. I'll try again.
Thank you for blessing my life.
Marla Taviano
Wow, Beth! This is amazing! I have a new phrase for the things that I read on blogs that need more thought than what I can give just sitting in front of the screen. It's called: Print, Ponder & Pray Posts
This one is a Print, Ponder & Pray, if ever I saw one!
Thanks for always ALWAYS giving a challenge!
God is so good to let us learn from each other! And now, thanks to you, I have a new way to sign all my blog posts....
ALL THIS AND JESUS, TOO,
Dori
Us youngin siestas sure are learnin a lot...keep it comin ladies :)
love you lmp girls
Hi there girls...back to the intimacy issue (it seems to keep coming up for some reason)...a wonderful resource that we enjoyed as did many of our friends, is Dr.Keven Leman's book "Sheet Music...Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage". Check it out...this might be one "marriage" book that your husband will read too!!! It covers a lot and is well written with humour. Hope it helps!!!
"Intimate Issues" by Linda Dillow is the best resource I have found for dealing with intimacy issues in marriages. I am a Certified Biblical Counselor and am always searching for new resources on this topic to use with the women I counsel. This subject is a serious one, and an important one to discuss because many, many marriages struggle with lack of solid Biblical teaching on this topic in their churches.
Beth - maybe there is a new writing project for you in the future on this topic!! That would be awesome!
A few years ago, some of the women who work with my husband brought in a "Mr. Wonderful" doll. One of the things Mr. Wonderful says is "I want to talk all night long". Do you know that when my husband is obviously exhausted and about to zonk, he will say that to me? I get so excited about the idea of it that I fall for it every time. As I'm asking him..."Are you serious?!!", it hits me that he's teasing (since after all, it is SO obvious that he has nothing left to give). I can't believe I keep falling for that! But I love him all the more. I'm going to ask him to take your survey for me. (I didn't join siesta blog land till after Boone).
On another note...I got some tears at the end Beth...wish my mother would have read and acted on a "p.s." like that 20 years ago. I thank God that regardless of her choices, He continues to redeem the beauty, value, and freedom of my life. I'm blessed with my own Mr. Wonderful now and a beautiful little girl, who is presently a dangerous lion about to pounce, while waiting for me to do some Dance Dance Revolution (any DDR fans out there?).
Thank you so much for sharing. My husband is a deacon, a SS teacher and is known as being a highly respectable person in our community. BUT he's very quiet, doesn't go out of his way to greet new people, that kind of thing and sometimes people take it the wrong way and think he doesn't like them. I get frustrated, wishing he'd be more outgoing, reachable to others. These are all thoughts I have kept to myself. You have made me realize that unlike me, who gets pretty mushy and is very open about my relationship with the Lord, it's ok if he's not, it doesn't make him any less of a Godly man. And more importantly, it doesn't matter what others think, I know he is the Lord's and he is such an honorable and respectable man. I am lucky to have a quiet man who adores me and who doesn't do something because others expect him too. Thank you for making me realize this.
Seeking His Heart, Marion
Hey Beth- I am reading "for women only" by Shaunti Feldhahn. I saw on the cover that you've read it, b/c there is a comment from you.
I was thinking that your findings tie nicely to some of hers. Don't you think?
God bless you for this endeavor and for how it serves as a wonderful reminder to us who want to sustain a godly marriage.
And a thank you to the pastor's wife with the High Pointe Church and Knott's Avenue resource help! We need this stuff, we really do need to hear it as uncomfortable as it may be to sit with your congregation and hear it from the pulpit. I will be checking into this...and the good thing is, if I order the CD's, I won't HAVE to sit and hear it with my congregation! :) I'm so thankful for my sisters in Christ and that we can share with each other and point one another in the right direction (which of course is always up)! Praise Him, Praise Him.
Beth,
This was so timely for me and my marriage. We've been married 21 years and our marriage has had its ups and downs. It has never been easy. Recently, it seems we ran into a concrete wall with our communication. Everything we said to each other seemed to have a tinge of annoyance.
But I went to the Lord in much prayer and He has been coaching me. The other day, He whispered to me, "Go out right now and admire him as he eradicates those weeds with that weed eater." I dropped what I was doing and walked out and did that. He has also been teaching me when to keep quiet, and when to use a large dose of humility. What a faithful coach Christ is!
If I've learned anything, it is that the person who needs the most improvement is me. (This, after 21 years. I'm a slow learner.) It's amazing how quickly my husband has been responding to my change of attitude. And a little more liberal use of lingeree helps tremendously, too!
Gwenn
Beth,
Thank you for the comments and survery results. It was so uplifting. My husband and I married when we were 19 and have been married 28 yrs. this month. God has blessed us through the years. Like others have commented, it hasn't always been easy, but in the more difficult times we trusted Him more and learned so much.
I feel like the Holy Spirit wants me to send an encouraging word to the single girls out there (Nikki, Kate & Shonda) there may be others, but as I read your comments and your blogs I prayed that God would encourage you. It seems like so much of the time there aren't any good guys left out there, but there are.
I have prayed for my children since they were very young and prayed for their future spouses. I remember when my daughter was heading off to a large college at the age of 20 and just breaking off a relationship that was not good.. and her comment was I just don't think there are any good guys left. We had a good talk about that subject and I named a few (including her brother) guys that I knew for a fact were "good guys" and just after being on that campus for a couple of months she met a guy who lived right across the hall....a Christian guy - a virgin, like she was - just awesome in every way....he began to chase after her and like Beth always says about Keith...she slowed down. They dated for a couple of years and now are married. She had determined early on not to settle and that's what I pray for you all. Don't get discouraged and don't settle for anything less than the very best for yourself. He is out there and there are still "good guys" left in the world. In the meantime follow hard after God and let him fill any emptiness you feel.
I will be praying for you.
Love,
Valerie
I want to comment on this question that another siesta asked.
On the subject of "intimacy", having not been Christians when my husband and I married and having done things ALL wrong back then, I'm afraid we are still too carnal in that area...??? Could this be?
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;the old has gone; the new has come! 2Corinthians 5:17
You are new creations in Christ. The old is gone! Praise HIM!
Go ye therefore and enjoy your sweet husband! :)
I'm glad there are so many people that are happy. This has given me some things to think about.
Thanks, Beth, for sharing this!
I have been so blessed by God through Nathaniel, my husband. Though we have only been married six short years, he has walked through the fire with me and for me. He has stood by my side through ovarian cancer, infertility, miscarriage, the loss of our stillborn son, Carson, and the joy of two healthy children who are with us on this earth! Whew!
Our prayer now is that God will use our story to renew hope in the hurting, to show God's never ending love, and to be an example of how through the darkness, God is still the Light!
I am asking that you pray for us, that we will be open to God's calling to use our story, our testimony, to bring Him all the glory and praise!
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to be on the blog and I missed the opportunity to let my husband take this survey. I just want everyone to know that I agree with Beth on this. Men need our support more than we can even imagine. The times that I have tried to shame or "boss" my hubby into changing something that bugs me, I can see that it tears him down. He is a man and I finally realized that 1) I love him like he is 2) There is a reason that I have girlfriends and 3)It is so not worth my marriage. My husband adores me and when I get past my insecurities and bite my tongue (sometimes real hard), I can see that. I found out that I have to TRUST GOD and look at the positive things..God is for marriage, for sure! By the way, we are one of those miracle couples that had we not relied on God, with half-way willing hearts, we would not be here. People are still scratching their heads!
This post, and the comments that have followed, have been such a blessing and encouragement to me. Thank you all so much. And thank you, Beth, for all the time you put into this!
I looked up all the books that were suggested on here (at least at the time when I read the comments) and read their synopses as well as several (or many) reviews written about each. The question of "what's OK (and what's not) for a Christian married couple in this area?" has been on the back burner of my mind for some time now. The discussion on the blog brought it to the forefront.
I think the conclusion I've come to is that it is possible for true believers in Jesus Christ to honestly and genuinely disagree on some of the things that I imagine are in question here. And what I believe it comes down to is our own personal relationship with Christ. I think He is the only One Who can truly point out what is OK and what is not in our own individual marriages. He alone can judge the thoughts and intentions of our hearts. He alone can convict us of sin or release us from false guilt in the specific areas that we bring to Him.
I'm not against reading books or asking for help or insight from other people; I just mean that in the end, we have to take that information back to the Lord and ask Him what HE wants US to do with it. It may or may not be the same as what He asks another couple to do.
I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that there is no cut and dried answer to some of the questions that we have about these things. I think the questions we need to be asking, above all, are: "Lord, what is Your purpose for our physical relationship?" and "How can we allow You to fulfill that in us?" Other people may be able to point us in the right direction. But in the end, I think we have to be willing to let the Lord speak to our hearts and show us the way. I've been trying to do that recently, and so has my husband. It truly is resulting in more peace of mind for me and more peace in general in our relationship.
I hope all (or at least some) of this makes sense. And I'm sorry it's so long!!
just want to "Amen" what everyone else said out there about how God can totally restore and grow marriages. We have been married almost 25 years, and I think the only time we heard the things that Beth posted from "the church" was when we went to a marriage conference called "Weekend to Remember". We went to our first one about fifteen years ago and it changed our marriage. These marriage conferences are held all over the United States and are put on by Family Life Today. You can check out their website at: http://www.familylife.com/conferences/marriage.asp
Hope this helps people!
My marriage had more problems than a book could solve, but I really love Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas. Its basic premise is the thought that perhaps God made marriage to make us holy rather than simply happy. It taught me alot about approaching things based on how I could grow from the experience rather than what makes me feel good. It deals very well with "intimacy" issues too.
That said, "unhappiness" due to abuse/neglect is a very different animal and is NOT something God expects anyone to just be content with. God hates men who cover themselves with violence (Malachi 2:16, NIV).
Beth,
Thank you for sharing the results of your survey. What a blessing of insight... much like the book "For Women Only..."
I wanted to share some insight I gained into my man almost by accident. I won't go on long, but I will say I was deeply affected by his humble admission.
We have been through a lot of changes, and came close to splits many times in the last 10 years. Fortunately his passive compliments my dominant better than we could have guessed. My expressive, dramatic side compliments his quieter more reserved nature and my way out on a limb faith completely compliments his navigator's pose on faith as he tries to discern God's direction as a young Christian. Coming a "dysfunctional" Christian background, I had some heavy bags that were deepened over the years by sexual victimization as well as two physically abusive relationships and a good 10 to 15 solid years in the desert. He had bags, too. But mine were much more dangerous and volatile than his --- and I love him all the more because of the stick to it that he has when the going got tough.
We are the brady bunch minus one housekeeper and one boy. We've been through much, including tough love that involved having my oldest arrested, sitting with him 8 days in a coma after a car accident and finally releasing him as God called him home to heaven. In the midst of being a blended family, we've had to adjust expectations and seek peace with exes... and still love each other at the end of each and every day.
My man passes with flying colors. I have gone on too long... so to the chase part of this post. A couple of months ago our small group had a very special meeting where we were instructed to place a chair in the center of the room and we chose to face the chair away from the rest of the group. Each member of the group had one turn in the hot seat and while in the hot seat they were not allowed to respond, only to listen to the comments of encouragement and admiration from the other group members. The rest of the group was then invited to state one positive thing the person in the chair brings to the group or encourage them with a positive affirmation. So, when it was my turn, I felt so humbled and unworthy of all the beautiful words spoken over me that night. We went around the room and I heard women much older than me speak of their admiration of my faith walk and knowledge of the Word. My husband was in a position to speak last. I must preface this with the fact that I accepted Christ at age 12 and had some deep foundational truths poured into my life very early. My husband came to Christ in our second year of marriage and has been growing in the Lord by baby and adolescent steps until lately. He is a man of few words and often signs any sentimental card simply, "Love, your husband." So when he spoke, I had no idea what he would say - I expected very little. My husband spoke gently of the special relationship we have and then said these words, "Michelle is the kind of woman who really knows the Word, and I am a man who doesn't. But, she doesn't beat me up with that - she helps me in ways that don't make me feel like less than she is. There are a lot of things I have learned from her and who she is." I wept openly as he spoke those precious words. I never knew all of my passion filled moments when the Word wouldn't rest until I had shared it with someone else had not fallen on him to no end. He heard me, and more than that he received something for his relationship with God. It took me a few years to learn that marriage was not all about drama and difficult moments. I provoked and spewed hateful garbage trying to get him to respond and he never said one word, and he never used it against me either. He just waited until I got tired and begged him to forgive me and he did so right away.
I love him so much and count myself so lucky that he is my man, I told him the other day that I am so grateful God gave him to me, and made him perfectly just for me.
What a joy to have that kind of relationship in the Lord.
Blessings,
Michelle Bentham
Fort Worth, TX
sorry, forgot to mention that for that "Family Life Marriage Conference" that I gave the link for, pastors and their wives get to go for free.
:-)
Beth:
Your words and the comments of my fellow husbands drive me to tears. We are not that complicated. AS a dear friend once told me, "I only need 3 things". I guess we can all figure that one out.
Simply put, I am the man I am today because of the woman at my side.
God bless.
Beth,
Today is July 4th and Happy Independence Day to you and your family. Today is also our anniversary our 6th. My husband and I got married on this special day because we wanted to be in the USA so much and we couldn't then, but now have lived here almost 2 years and this is the BEST country in the world. It is sooooooooooooooo nice to be living in the land of the free. Yes our country has problems but who doesn't and go visit other places and then see how much FREEDOM the USA has. We are so proud to live here and that we can still talk about the Lord and not be shuned. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
We even named our dog Liberty-Anne and she is a very cute golden retriever. God sure is awesome and lets never ever forget that.
I love my husband so much even though yes sometimes it is hard, but we learn through the hard times and they bring us closer to God and each other. The hardest thing about our marriage is that my husband has not seen his 3 precious children in 6 years. He had one of those horrible divorces and with constant lies and untruths he has not seen them. We both pray for them everyday and know that in God's timing he will restore that relationship, that would tear up a lot of marriages but yes it is very hard but God's hand is still in it.
Blessings
Sarah - Prayer Warrior
Thanks Beth for posting this. It spoke to me and reminded me of things I have been told before and tend to let slip away. I pray to love my husband more and to give him the respect and attention he needs. God bless you for telling it like it is, even if we cringe when we hear it and try to get our toes out of the way!
Thank you so much for this report!!
I love you dearly Beth!
I thank Jesus for you and all the truth that you have poured into my life. It is affecting me and my family in life changing ways.
Thank you Jesus for Beth!
Post a Comment
<< Home