Recipe By Popular Demand
The following recipe comes to you from one of our most avid blog readers: Keith Moore. You demanded it and he's supplying it. That's right, folks. Right here on your Living Proof blog. Who in the world would have ever guessed you could get a recipe here on this site with my reputation for failure in the kitchen? Shoot fire. I might even throw my back out and pitch you my Texas Sheetcake recipe later in the week if you keep this up. From Keith's kitchen to yours, Living Proof Ministries proudly presents (drum roll, please)our first annual Texas holiday favorite, complete with a decorative tortilla turkey on top: King Ranch Chicken!
Ingredients:
*1/4 cup butter
*1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
*1 medium onion, chopped
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*1 can cream of chicken soup
*1 can (10 oz) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (This is a staple in every Texas cupboard and critical to this dish but I'm worried that some of you far from the Lone Star State won't be able to find it. Look for it near the cans of whole tomatoes. If there's only one RO*TEL on the shelf, God put it there and is equipping you for every good work. Believe it or not, Keith uses two cans instead of one but don't try that at home. We're professionals.)
*2 cups cubed cooked chicken. (If you don't boil your own, please don't tell Keith. He thinks that's sacrilegious. You're supposed to always do your own so that you have fresh broth on hand for whatever recipe you come up with next. Gosh. This is boring me to tears.)
*12 corn tortillas, cut in halves or fourths
*2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese (If you don't grate your own and, instead, get the kind that's already prepared in the bag like I do, don't tell Keith that either.)
Directions: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook pepper and onion in melted butter until tender. (5 or so minutes. Like anyone cares.) Add soups, RO*TEL and chicken, stirring until well blended. In a 13X9X2-inch (that dimension took me ten solid minutes to type. This is more than I can take) baking pan, alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheeses, repeating for three layers. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. (Good grief. I can't believe I just wrote that. Hot and bubbling. How stupid is that? This whole recipe thing is bringing out my insecurities.) Serves 8. Or at my house, 3, because we eat like pigs.
Mine and Colin's favorite part: If you're making it for Thanksgiving or Christmas to add a little spice to an otherwise bland meal, take pair of scissors and cut out a turkey, place it on top, sweeping with egg-wash to help it stick together. Make waddle out of little piece of tomato or red pepper. Take picture and impress your friends.
I'm going to bed now. I'm exhausted. And hungry.

Here's the sheet cake recipe! -Amanda
167 Comments:
Thanks, I may have to try to make that to take to a gathering, I am sure the little tortilla turkey would impress anyone (especially knowing my lack of cooking skils- they may think it looks cute but may be too scared to taste it!) I, like you, have many cute dishes that are never used...I need to start taking them with me to restaurants and asking them to serve me on my dishes, maybe they'd get some use that way!!
Glad all of you made it home safe, I was praying for a safe return from your trip. I pray that this week is full of good weather and many blesings for you!! I am thnakful for you, your family, and your ministry- it has touched my life in ways you can never imagine!
Love you dearly!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I enjoyed your Thanksgiving posting and pictures! God bless you and your family.
Thanks SO MUCH for the recipe!! I can't wait to try it! I'm not sure my tortilla turkey will turn out as well, but it's worth a try. Ro-tel is a staple here as well, but in Northwest AR we're not too far from the Lone Star state. :) Thanks again for taking the time and energy to post the recipe. :)
Oh how you make me laugh! I am so thankful for you...your wisdom, authenticity and encouragement! I just love you and am grateful to Jesus for making you! We are a blessed generation of young women to sit under your teaching.
Thank you!!
PS I have to say I am way impressed with your turkey design!! Too cute :)
I was just thinking tonight that I wish I had a new casserole recipe that I could use the leftover chicken that I have in! (and YES I boiled it myself -- I made homemade chicken noodle soup for my son who was home from college) So thank you, Beth for ALL THE EFFORT you put into typing out this recipe. :) I look forward to the Texas Sheet Cake recipe. I'm always looking for new dessert ideas for our Bible study group.
Love you Beth. Thanks for sharing.
Too funny Beth! i might have to try this out soon! now im hungry too! guess what! i just got tickets to see you in Colorado springs in may! im so looking forward to it! your amazing!
OH YUMMY! That dish sounds like it is absolutely DRIPPING with cholesterol...a no no since my hubby's last physical. It sounds so good though...I just can't wait till he has to go out of town on business again so I can whip it up for myself! I can't wait to trade my tofu for the King Ranch!!! YUMMY Thanks for sharing Beth! I'm gonna go dream about it now tonight!
I just sent out a plea for a couple of new recipes to my favorite Titus 2 friend ... because my guys are tired of my line up! And what did I happen upon as I was signing off ... a LPM blog post WITH A RECIPE ... and I even have a can or six of Rotel right in my cabinet! My own AJ will be lovin' this tomorrow night! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Mama B...
ok. LOVING this!!! :) i can just see him sitting there quietly smiling at the thought of all these silly siestas wanting to get their hands on his MASTERPIECE (well, ok...that was for mr. keith ;) ...)
BUT there are at least four 20-somethings in nashville that WOULD LOVE that sheet-cake recipe if you feel like throwin' out your back for some youngin' siestas :)
love you a lot
OK, I am not quite sure which is more time consuming...either making the casserole, including boiling your own chicken OR creating that precious turkey you all created out of the tortilla! I think that little turkey guy might take me hours to recreate! That Colin sounds pretty precious! I think Texas Sheetcake sounds like a great recipe-will you please post it?
Sweet Beth,
Please thank Keith for sharing. Yes, we can find Rotel tomatoes even in SC, 'cause I use them in this great dip mix I make. Thank you for a great laugh as you wrote the recipe! Sounds divine and I can't wait to try it. Have a lovely week! God bless, siestas!
Beth, I'm so glad to see someone else has cooking A.D.D.! I was cracking up at your little comments in between the recipe ingredients and steps (they put me to sleep too!).
Blessings to you and your dearly loved ones!
Do you think Keith would be upset that I sometimes use frozen chopped green pepper and onion?! It is a big time saver and as a mom of four, I look for all the help I can get. I also chop up a rotisserie chicken instead of boiling one now. And grate my own cheese, oh my no! I'm not a native Texan but I do know about King Ranch Chicken and yours sounds yummy. Thanks Keith! The turkey embellishment was adorable!
The Journey Continues~
Keith ~ YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO MEN!!
I thought my man was the only ultimate guy out there but Beth I am giving your honey a second place after mine!!!
I look forward to making his grub dish and giving out a real "Home Improvement" grunt after trying it! My man, Dave makes a mean bbq tri tip, fish and a pesto sauce that any woman would love. He makes awesome veggies too. They won't make you gag!
Have a Blessed Christmas Season and I look forward to your next blog with photos please!
We want to see your home decorated with the Christmas wreath at front door. :) My man just strung popcorn and cranberries with my mother while I decorated the tree because my sons are back at university after Thanksgiving.
This is my first year with NO help from my babies.
How did you cope without Amanda and Melissa around during those years of empty nesting?
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina ~ Cayucos
Dear Beth I am laughing hysterically at 11:30 pm Sunday night!
Sorry you were so bored, but maybe they were cleansing tears (more LOL!) . . . most grateful for the recipe as Texans, I have found, just really do not want to give up a real good King Ranch recipe - seems that Christian sharing thing does not apply to the perfect Ranch recipe (I am one of them of course. A Texas Christian!)
I actually have a large and three small cans of Ro-tel in the pantry at this moment (I know, getting low on supplies . . .) and some chicken cubes, already frozen (don't tell Keith please!) and this sounds like a plan for this week, sans turkey topping - way too much for me - all that artsy stuff - maybe you could open a new aspect at LPM - mail order turkey toppings for King Ranch Chicken - hum, that sounds like a million dollar God idea -----
So funny ----- can not wait for the sheet cake recipe! Sleep well -
Beth,
With your great recipe for chicken and dumplings you gave out earlier in the year, I had no idea you were not a fabulous cook.
Keith's recipe sounds great. I live in Houston now but previously lived in California. They do have Ro-Tel there by the way. We just called this recipe Chicken Tortilla Casserole. A variation of the recipe is salsa instead of Rotel. It works well also and you can adjust the heat to your liking whether you use mild, medium, or hot. Mine also calls for an 8 oz container of sour cream and who can resist that. Keith would absolutely hate that I no longer layer mine. Hey, I have four kids ok. I found it was much simpler to cut the tortillas in 1 inch squares, then just mix all the ingredients except the cheese and dump it into the casserole dish. Top with cheddar cheese and bake. Extremely delicious!
I think I need to make this with the last of my leftover Thanksgiving turkey. If I am feeling extremely ambitious, I will try making the "tortilla turkey" for the top. God Bless you and Yours. You guys are a hoot!
I dont know how long ago you wrote this its 12:35 hear am,thanks for the recipe I hope to do it for my family get together Dec 30th own my mom side.I hope you get a good night sleep & have agreat week. God bless love sister in Christ Victoria Were getting rain PTL we need so much more.I love to hear the rain at night.God be with you.
See? I thought I was sick of food, but then I read this recipe and now I want to eat again.
However, I am standing firm, determined that the King Ranch Chicken will not be a stumbling block in my life. But it is not at all easy because, well, CHEESE. HOT, BUBBLY CHEESE.
:-)
You all are darling! I can't wait to meet you all one day (if not on earth, then in Heaven!!!). Beth, I am in week 9 of Daniel and God is rocking my world! This makes Bible Study #6 with you. The first bible study I ever did was "Learning to Pray God's Word". I had been struggling with infertility for 5 years and then in the middle of that 6 week study, I got pregnant! That little miracle is about to turn 4 next month. Then while doing "The Patriarchs" with you, I got pregnant with my second boy (he's 19 months old and yes, we watch Noggin!). I make jokes all the time that if we decide to go for #3, I better be doing a bible study with you!!! :) In all seriousness, though, God has used you to inspire me, to encourage me, to teach me, and most importantly, to be an example of what an authentic relationship with Jesus can look like. What has grown out of my bible study time with you and my Lord is a fiery passion for Him and His Word. Praise Jesus! Thank you for who you are and your willingness to be real with us. I thank God for you - you are a blessing to so many women!!!
P.S. I love Texas Sheet Cake - my mom made it for Thanksgiving! Delish!
We had King Ranch Chicken on Friday from Super Suppers---Your post is hilarious---you are something else! Will have to try Keith's---I bet it is better than Super Suppers. Still thinking about your comment about letting people off the hook and laughing things off cause we are not dependent on their responses. He is Enough! Such a word for me surrounded by several over the holidays. The blog means much to me.
Ask and you shall receive! Thanks Amanda!
Beth, you're such a delight! I cracked up reading this post.
I'm still laughing!
Thanks for the recipe. Praise the Lord, we do have Ro-Tel here in Michigan, however, I'll probably use a rotisserie chicken from Sam's Club and Kraft Shredded cheese, because I'm lazy like that. I won't tell if you won't ....
Love,
Veronica
Happy end of the weekend! Thanks so much for the Texas Sheet Cake recipe. I had a friend who made it years ago and gave it to me and I had somehow lost it! Now wonders never cease, and here it is again!! I wonder how many million Weight Watchers points it is?? Perhaps I will use my bonus points for a year and make one for the holidays!
Blessings to all of you girls as you start your work week.
Siesta's till the FIESTA in the sky,
Margaret
Thank you, I am making this for my main meal today! I am on the east coast, and thos cans of tomatoes with diced chilis can be bought at Walmart! Hubs would love two cans..but with young'ins...mmmm maybe 1 and a 1/2. :)
Thanks for making us feel like we actually know you and your family, I have struggled with the whole idea that one can know someone they not actually met...but I am resolved..Oh LORD thou knowest! HE knows everyone. LOL
Keith,
Thank you for sharing the King Ranch casserole recipe . It sounds yummy and pretty easy. I will give it a try.
Amanda,
I am so glad you posted the Texas sheet cake recipe. I have tasted this cake but did not have the recipe.
Have a great week abiding in Christ.
Love to all,
Mary
It is hysterical reading this recipe description. Who would have thought that a recipe could have humor embedded. Thank you for sharing your T day festivities. I would loved to have hiked with you!
Oh my goodness that looks yummy. I was going to ask for the recipe today and when I came on here this morning, there it was. Okay, I am going to boil my own chicken(but it would be quicker to buy grilled chicken and cube it) and I grate my cheese because I think it taste better. Beth, will you come over and help me make my turkey decoration to put on top? :o)
I have made your Texas Sheet cake and let me just say it is ministry!! I could eat your cake for breakfast!!!
I made my annual Chocolate Reese cake for Thanksgiving complete with homemade icing and I only got one piece.
Oh, praise God, we have Rotel at our grocery and I make a cheese dip with Rotel that is so yummy. I think I may be a professional like you Texans, I would use two cans of Rotel, too.!!
Thank you Keith and Beth for your recipes!!
Have a blessed Monday.
Love,
Patty
I can hardly stand it!!! When are y'all gonna put a cookbook together? Even for us non-cooks, I can so handle this! Thank you Keith Moore. It looks yummy!
Blessings all~
Fran
Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it! Now all I need is the template for that turkey.
Wanda in Georgia
Thank you Keith my family will love this and I have been trying to find new recipes to liven up my dinner routine.
Thank you Beth for mustering the strength to type all that out.
If you ever get to Norhtern Arkansas feel free to stop in and cook in my kithcen, especially since there is just of me and the ktichen gets very litte ues.
I have a very hard time cooking for one....even freezing...recipes are just too big.
Glad you had a Happy Thanksging and thanks for sharing.
I'm excited that you've shared the wonders of King Ranch Chicken with Greater Siestadom...it's a Texas gem that should be shared with the world (and will be shared with my husband tonight...man, is he going to be happy)!
Also, while I've enjoyed my fair share of Texas sheet cake over the years, I've never made it myself. I'm going to give it a go over the holidays as a gift to my choco-crazed daughters!
Sounds delicious! I especially love all the comments, Beth. Please thank your hubby for me and tell him I will not serve this with anything other than bean dip and chips...or something manly, definitely NOT with rice pilaf or quiche or anything like that!
I, too, was worried about non-natives and expatriates being able to find Ro*Tel tomatoes after posting a recipe using them. So, I found Ro*Tel's website. http://www.conagrafoods.com/consumer/storelocator/search.jsp?ftr=true Under product, put in RoTel tomatoes and your zip, and violla--you should have stores nearby that carry them. Now I will say, in a PINCH (*and I do mean if you don't want authentic) KRC, Hunts makes tomatoes with green chiles, but they are not nearly as spicy and truly do the recipe an injustice. Happy cooking.
Thank you Beth for taking time to write all that out! You're so funny! Keith, thank you for sharing the wonderful recipe with us. I can't wait to try it. I know what Keith means about cooking a fresh chicken. It just tastes different and so much better. I make chicken and noodles and keep a jar of leftover broth and put it in the freezer for another time. Also, I do use the bagged cheese most of the time, but he's right about that too. The colby jack block is so much better grated than that in a bag.
I also agree about the Ro-Tel. I always have that on hand.
Here's a recipe I make that is so easy and so good. It reminds me of this a little. (Keith, I don't think you'll like this :).... canned chicken, and not cooked in the oven)
In microwavable bowl add the following:
1 large can of chicken
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of Ro-tel
(heat these ing. in the microwave)
Next, crush tortilla chips (not too thick of a layer or it will be too dry) and make one layer in a smaller casserole dish??? maybe 9x6??
Pour the soup mixture over the chips and add grated colby jack cheese and put back in the microwave until cheese is bubbly.
It's really good and SO easy.
Thanks again for taking the time to give us the recipe.
Love,
Valerie
Well, I don't know how you do it! You even make reading a recipe a fun experience. I'm afraid I would not pass muster with Keith. I "usually" boil my own chicken, but I can't tell you the last time I grated my own cheese. I'm with you, I buy the bag. And honestly, unless they make one of those tortilla turkey's in the freezer or bakery section...that ain't gonna be happening either! What a great recipe! Thank-you Amanda and Keith for sharing you recipe, your life, your mom and wife, with us. (Hey, I made a rhyme!)
Melana in Wyoming (Come back soon!)
Thanks a bunch!!! Sounds yummy. Off to the store...
Funniest, best-written recipe I ever did read. :)
Beth - you are a hoot and always make me laugh! I am fairly new to this blog, but have done 7 of your bible studies. I think of you as a friend. I have never posted, and even though this has been said many times, I want you to know how you brighten and encourage my day. Your light shines bright in a dark world. I especially appreciate what you said in your Thanksgiving Day blog about showing God how grateful we are with our joy. Thanks - I needed that! blessings from Florida (and yes, we have Rotel tomatoes in FL)
You don't know how nice it is to hear that another siesta has a husband who is more at home in the kitchen than she is!!! I cook because I have to feed the offspring, my man cooks because he loves too!!
This sounds delicious and I'm thinking that all these ingredients are in my pantry so guess what's for dinner!!!
Love to you all
stephanie
Thank you, Mr. Moore!
Beth and Amanda,
Thanks so much for the recipes. Beth, you are just too funny! It's good to remember that we all have our own strengths and weaknesses. Please forgive me as I confess here - I couldn't help but feel a smidge of pride when I realized that I'm a better cook than Beth Moore. How awful is that!? (My pride, not your cooking!) God is indeed sifting me during this battle with anxiety I'm going through. He's exposing so much pride, control issues, and lack of faith that I have been blinded to for so long. I have been humbled and praise the Lord that He is using this situation to refine me for His purpose. It's not an easy process, but I will trust Him. Thanks for your encouragement!
Beth,
Bless your sweet heart for the way you share with us! It sounds like the Moore mountain Thanksgiving was a wonderful time. Thank you for the way that you bless us!
Michelle
Waco, TX
Beth, you are too funny. Thanks for sharing. I love the beautifully manicured thumb nail. The whole presentation looks great.
Amanda from SC
I'm making that for Christmas for sure! Sounds scrumpsh. And the funniest recipe I've ever read. What should I make to embellish it instead of a turkey?
The Sheet Cake is out of this world. I stumbled across the recipe in an old blog dated a few years back on the LPM blog and decided to make it about a month ago. Since then I've made it 3 times! (Thus, the reason we've gained 5 pounds in my household recently). ha ha
Several have asked for "my" recipe to which, I say, Oh, it isn't mine! It is Beth Moore's recipe! (I need to repent for the pride I feel when I say that! ha ha).
We have also named it "Bible Study Teacha's Cake" (my husband cracks up at this one...it is said with such a southern accent!)
Beth, Betty Crocker ain't got nothing on you girl!!
Not matter what you call the cake..it is OUTSTANDING! Thanks Beth! We love you and pray for you often. Merry CHRISTmas!
SWEET!!
I am new to posting but have been reading the blog for a while. Beth I cannot tell you how much your teaching has changed the way I look at the word! How you present it its ALIVE!! I have taken two of your classes and my family watches you every Wed. my girls (McKayla & Grace) think your family!
Thank you for your time and LOVE!
Cindy Lou
Amanda,
Thank you for taking the time to give us the recipe...Does Keith have other recipes??
We do so much appreciate your sharing and you are one blessed family...Keep up the good work!!
Nancy
I love you Beth-le-ham (to borrow a well-coined phrase)! You crack me up! Can't wait to try this yummy fare this week, although I wish it included a recipe for leftover turkey. Good gracious, 26 lbs. is a lot o' turkey!
Much love and prayers for you all this week,
Holly
Thanks for the recipe! It's worth reading whether you care anything about making it or not. :D I got a right good chuckle this morning!
Happy Monday!
It's not even 9 AM here and looking at that has made me hungry! I was wondering the other day if you were going to share and low and behold, YOU DID!!!! Thanks!! A new recipe!! And it looks like a keeper!!
Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!
we make KR Chicken, too! although I haven't for years and I was reminded my my hubby, and your blog, that I NEED to bring it back off the bench!! We shred up our corn tortillas though so no one has to politely try to look normal when a big floppy 1/2 of a tortilla flops out of your bite and smacks you in the chin. Aren't you glad I ahred that nice info with you? blogs are such a strange little community.... :)
Yummy!!!! I'm loving the turkey on top. How creative!
One always learns something new at LPM. I never knew that red thing hanging from the turkey's nose had a name. The waddle! Always called it "the hanging red thing."
YUMMY! Thanks Keith!! (no thanks to Beth!!) haha...at least she was willing to write it and share it with us siestas!! I will be trying this recipe for dinner TONIGHT!! Thanks, Amanda for the sheet cake for desert,,,Beth, don't quit your day job, gal!! :) Doesn't God's word call us to do ONE thing well?!
Love, from a raleigh gal!!
Beth, thanks for inviting us into your kitchen! Even if Keith is doing the cooking, it is such a blessing to be beckoned inside, welcomed with a piping hot dish — virtual though it may be — and a good conversation. As the mom of a 2-year-old and a 6-week-old, I wonder if the Lord inspired the internet to help stay-at-home moms maintain some contact with the outside world, especially on those days when getting out of the house would take a miracle of Biblical proportions! You and your girls do such a great job with the blog — it is one of my favorite "windows" to the outside world and the view is always sweet. THANK YOU for your ministry! I look forward to trying the recipes. God bless!
Thank you Beth and thank you Keith for sharing your recipes!! Beth, you are sooo lucky to have a husband who cooks and cooks well!!! I'm going to make both recipes asap. I just love all of you and I am so thankful for this blog. It always makes me smile!
I love it ! Beth Moore is the new Betty Crocker! hahaha Cant wait to make that sheet cake - will it work in TN like it does in TX? :-)
Thank you for the recipes Keith, Beth and Amanda. They make me hungry. Can't wait to try them.
I am alittle nervous about the tortilla turkey.:-). Have a most blessed day with Jesus . May he pour out his love and blessing on you all. May he make your face shine with the joy of Jesus. May the love of Jesus saturate your hearts today and overflow onto the world around you. May you feel his presence so close that you feel the need to dance or sing or fall face down. I pray he just delights your souls till they cannot help but sing. God bless you all.
keith you are amazing. i will be sure to pass this recipe on to my man to add to his kitchen repertoire. we love anything with green chilies.
beth don't feel bad about any kitchen failures. you know it's bad when your jack russell, known for their smarts runs up the stairs and hides under the bed. he does this every time i get near the stove. i have got such a complex that probably needs therapy.
hugs from michigan ~janel
ps - aren't we the ones supposed to get the snow not texas.
Hahaha!! Oh Miss Beth, how I wish every recipe would be written out the way you wrote that one!! I would be sure to read every single line if they had all that great commentary along with the recipe!
Tell Mr Keith I can't wait to try it and we do have Ro*Tel so it will be as close as I can get it.
Thanks for sharing!!
Mr. Keith, I just made your recipe for my dinner tonight...and it is looking so good...I am afraid though that the MAN will wish I put the extra chiles in it...but still he may rise up and call me blessed! :) (even with out his so-called man meat-beef, moose, deer)
Thanks for sharing!!
Amanda-my dumb huskey is now in the garage so she does not eat my special treat before I get the blessing!
Beth- thank you!
I make this too but my recipe uses crushed Nacho Cheese Doritos instead of tortillas. I'm going to try Keith's version---sounds great and I agree that cooking your own chicken is the way to go!
Thanks for the recipe! I'm so going to try this. It seems like the only things I remember how to cook these days are spaghetti and tacos. I really thought this whole cooking thing would get better the longer I was married, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm always open for suggestions! :)
But I'm not even going to attempt the cute little turkey. I'm just not talented like that.
Oh, and I've already tried the sheet cake recipe that Amanda posted last Christmas and it's fabulous. Definetely a new staple dessert at our house!
Much love to you all ~ Kristin
Amen to two Texas staples:
ROTEL AND VELVEETA CHEESE
Folks in Arkansas thought I was a nut for adding one or both to every casserole known to man!
But the bigger question is:
DOES CHEF KEITH COOK WITH SPAM???
Love you all tons,
Jan
threemenandamom
Oh, Beth! I grew up eating King Ranch Casserole! My momma made it with Doritos instead of corn tortillas - deeeeelish! Unfortunately, I married a man who hates all casseroles, even this one. What the heck is a Texas woman supposed to make for dinner without casseroles??
Anyway, thank you for all you do. You are so dear to me.
Wow, that looks really good, i will have to try it sometime.
Love & Laughter!!
Holli
Beth: you are cracking me up...see you can do it: you shared a recipe! (by the way, Thanks Keith)...
This looks good, I truly think that this could be a very flexible recipe...tortilla art at it's best...you know: bunnies, flags for the 4th, I'm not sure what to do about Memorial day! HA!
Thanks for the recipe...can't wait to try it out on my family. It is similar to a recipe I got when I lived in Texas years ago, accept you chop up jalepeno peppers (and boy did this Georgia girl learn fast what you did not touch after you had been chopping those peppers). Finding Ro-tel is easy now, but what made my year was the first time I found Blue Bell ice cream in Georgia. I had craved it so much when we left Texas.
And thanks Amanda for the note on the sheet cake...I was going to look back cause I thought ya'll had posted it last year.
Thanks for making me smile...have a good day ladies
I have to ask... who wrote that post? Was it Miss Beth? It says, "beth", but I'm wondering if Melissa wrote it. Anyway, I don't know what was better, the new recipe or the hilarious commentary. Whoever wrote it could host their own blog cooking show... hee hee...
Y'all, I miss Ro-Tel! 'Course, living up here in NYC (sigh), this Texas girl also misses Dr Pepper on tap, Fritos on demand, Chick Fil A, Sonic, and the occasional Shiner Light. SIGH.
Anyway. Thanks for the recipe! Hope y'all had a wonderful holiday :)
P.S. I'm dying for it to be Christmas already - after "Get Out of That Pit" pretty much changed my life, I can't wait to give it to my mama! Let the countdown begin!
Beth thanks so much for your words of encouragement on Thanksgiving. I was having "too much gether" but reading your entry really changed my outlook. Just in time!
Thanks AJ for getting this blog going. It has been a HUGE blessing to me!!! I rarely post, but read every day!
And thanks Keith for the recipe! Sounds awesome and I might use it for our leftover turkey (think that would work?)
Oh, and I live in Ohio and can easily find Ro*Tel in all our major stores. So I believe it's out there. I learned of it from dear Texas friends (of course!)
love,
Beth
So Beth, does this mean we won't be seeing you on the cooking channel anytime soon?
SOUNDS YUMMY! Can't wait to try it!
It's so great to know that God blessed you with this talent for your ministry but didn't bless you with the talent of chef as well!! He is good to us isn't He siesta's? We wouldn't be able to stand you if you could do it ALL!! teehee!!!
PS. Cracked up reading how boring it all was to you!!! TOO FUNNY!!!
Thanks for the recipe. The weather just turned cold here and it's time for some yummy winter dinners. For all of you Arizona Siestas, Bashas grocery store does have RO*TEL diced tomatoes. I spied them on the top shelf this morning.
Sounds mighty tasty...and looks that way too!! I might just have to get a little list together and head to the grocery store!!
Thanks for sharing!
Lindsee
Thank you! I can't wait to try both recipes. You guys are the best...I can't thank you enough for everything! Hope you have the best holidays ever.
Cindy
This is my first comment...I love your blog. I had to leave this note because I actually started laughing SO hard at the "boring me to tears"....my 4-year-old daughter is dying to know what's making me crack up so much!
I am going to try it! It sounds awesome!!!
The added commentary makes it even better.
THANKS!
Have no fear - we have Rotel in Michigan! :) Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Holy cow, that was the funniest recipe posting I've ever read and I've read more than a few!
I have a similar recipe but it doesn't call for the tomatoes so I'm anxious to try that. I think I can even locate a can of RoTel tomatoes here in heathen southern California!
Doing "Breaking Free" right now at our church and I can't even tell you how much it means to me. It's my first exposure to LPM and I'm wondering where I've been all these years!! What a tremendous blessing you all are - I can't even tell you how many great things I've discovered as a result of this blog! I've got a few Beth things on my Christmas list and a ticket to the live event in San Diego in April is my gift to my mom!! Blessings to you all! Christine
Well I'm gonna have to try this one! I'm thinking I'll use my leftover turkey instead of boiling up some chicken. Do you think Keith would approve?? I do love trying new recipes! Thanks for sharing your time, photos and recipes with us siestas.
This looks delicious and the posting (really meaning the side comments) had me in a stitch! Thanks and so glad ya'll had a great Thanksgiving!
I have stepfamily in Dallas and I was visiting with them this summer. My stepbrother's wife made King Ranch Chicken! Of course, being a South Carolina girl I had never had such. And then I read the blog today (which I enjoy) to find the recipe for King Ranch Chicken. I just finished the rewritten "A Woman's Heart; God's Dwelling Place" with a wonderful group of women from Greer, South Carolina. I just want to tell you that I grew up in a Christian home where we went to a wonderful Episcopal church every Sunday, we read the Bible together every night and we prayed together. My parents were very active in our church. I was saved at age 9 but I never thought much about a personal relationship with the Lord until I started doing your Bible studies with a group of wonderful ladies at Greer Christian Learning Center in Greer, South Carolina. I had no idea what I was missing! God is so good! Please accept my gratitude for opening my eyes to so much more than just a religion in my life.
For any of you Northeast Ohio folks,I know for a fact that you can find Rotel in your local grocery store in Cleveland! Yay!!
Can't wait to try the recipe, but your little jokes in parentheses made me laugh out loud. It's a dreary, cloudy, drizzly day here and I needed the laughter!! Love your blog!
I always bring back at least 10 cans of rotel in my suitcase after I come home to Texas for a visit since I can't find it in the Northeast! I am sure the baggage people think that I am crazy because there is always a note whenever I do that my suitcase has been searched!
This looks awesome! Filing it away in my recipe box. Thanks!!
I LOVE KING RANCH CHICKEN! Thanks for sharing the recipe. My grandmother used to make that dish for me all the time and it was one of my favorites! I haven't had it in forever! Looking forward to making this soon. I promise to boil the chicken.
Cracking up over here ... you sound SO like me in the kitchen! ;) (My man is the cook in our household, too!)
this looks great!!! I may have to attempt to make this for Christmas with the fam.....thanks for sharing the recipe!!!
Beth, you are a girl after my own heart. :)
Delicious! I love King Ranch casserole! The turkey cut-out was great...so creative...and I can't think of a better ending than Texas Sheet Cake. Yum....Thanks for sharing!
Love, Sarah TN
LOL!
The casserole is in the oven - 30 minutes to go - CAN'T WAIT!! Rotel is a staple in our pantry - my man walked in and said " MMMMM...smells good in here" Yes it does - yes it does!!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I didn't attempt the tortilla turkey because it would have ended up looking like some other animal that wouldn't be ok to have on the dish you are about to eat - ya know?? I'm not the least bit creative but admire those who are - Beth and Colin!!
God is Good and I'm sure this casserole will be, too!!
Much love to the whole family!
So much loved your "sheet cake" recipe that I've altered it a bit... turkey in lieu of chicken! Since I have a lot of left overs from the Thanksgiving feast ... my recipe is in the oven now. Thanks for sharing your family secrets.
xoxo
jaws
Thanks so much for sharing your pictures. Boy was I jealous. It was cold and wet here in Texas but not the fun kind. My family is spread out and unable to all get together for the holidays.
King Ranch Casserole is one of our favorites but the turkey is definitely a fun touch. I think I'll try a Christmas tree or something.
Thanks for blessing us. I feel like I'm part of your precious family.
Blessings
Beth:
Please tell Keith thank you for sharing his recipe with us. I have been looking for some new ones because I am sick of making the same old thing.
I must say I felt very blessed and well loved when I saw this post. To think that after a weekend of long travel time you sat down to talk to us. Thanks so much for caring. You all are truly a blessing.
Kim B. in AZ
Ms Beth,
That looks really yummy- thank you for sharing the recipe!
I think my 3 boys will really like that. I am like you though I do not like to cook and it does give me a bit of a complex. God has been working on it with me though - we can't all be good at everything - hehe
I am so glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. I had prayed for a wonderful, safe, and Spirit filled time together and I am so glad it was!
God bless sweet siesta,
Kim
Do I smell a Living Proof cookbook in the works! Be sure to include the recipe for sweet tea!
Thanks for letting us peer into your life like you do. I love reading your blog. I am always disappointed when I check and don't see a new one! I realize you can't write EVERY day and I do feel that you do a fine job in 'checking in' as often as you do~ It is wonderful seeing the pictures you post of your lovely daughters, husband, little grandson; I almost feel that I KNOW your entire family~ One day, I hope to write to you about some prayer concerns I have but today, I am writing to thank you for creating this blod and being faithful to keep it going!
God has blessed you with this ministry and all of us who are a part of it!
This is the EXACT same sheet cake recipe that my mother-in-law passed down to me years ago! I have 3 kids and a husband who request this cake every birthday...and any other time they can get me to make it. It's one of the few things I make "homemade." :) I usually use the whole box of confectioner sugar also. :)
I'm looking forward to leading your newest Bible study in early January AND having you come to the Bluegrass State next August.
Beth,
That's the most fun reading a recipe I've ever had. I'm going to give it a go after a while, because right now, I can't even think about turkeys.
How do you Moore gals eat so well and stay so thin??!! God has blessed your metabolism...don't ever take that for granted! :) Just looking at that good food will put a pound or two on me! But praise God I just recently reached my goal weight! It's been a glorious lifestyle change.
Anyway, I'm rambling! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing recipes and letting us in on your priceless family times.
Blessings to all!
Kelli in Ohio
I recently moved to the NE and I always thank the Good Lord when I find Ro*Tel! Even my hubby, who worked in several restaurants and is an expert cook, had never heard of it...that is, until now!
Oh...and I am from the Deep South of Louisiana.
Have you ever written ANYTHING your whole life and not made it fun to read? I mean seriously, Beth.....it was a recipe. A simple recipe and I was laughing. I bet even your grocery lists are interesting.
By the way.....be sure to tell Keith that one of the Siestas (yours truly) bagged a deer Thanksgiving weekend. I'm sure he'll be so proud : )
a very entertaining recipe!! up north we have DelMonte diced tomatoes with jalepeno peppers. Im not much of a cook but being pregnant, i enjoyed envisioning what it would taste like. this siesta was impressed by the french manicured thumb holding the pan!!!!
p.s the green bean/crunchy onion casserole was the first thing to be gobbled up at our thanksgiving meal!! yummy!!!
pss. what is your favorite line in Steel Magnolias??? love that movie. my Emma(7) is too young for it , but i introduced her to the Sound of Music this Thanksgiving!!! gets better every time i see it!!!!
gotta get me some chips and salsa, i all the sudden got the munchies!!!
YUM on the Texas Sheet Cake! Give me dessert first always! This sounds like a sheet cake that I make and my family LOVES it! When our children are coming home for the holidays, it is one of those things I make for them (and me, too!). And, we, too eat it for breakfast, Amanda. And I always use 1 whole box of powdered sugar (4X or 10X)...which ever I have on hand. My family and friends call is GG's Drop Dead Divine Chocolate Cake. So it doesn't matter what it is called, as long as it is made and shared!!! Blessings and love!
Amanda, I thought you would like to know that we have Rotel at our stores (or at least the few I go to) in Indiana. So, Rotel has made it this far north. (And let me tell you, this place is not known for its spice. So, Rotel is probably being sold at many locations across the country.) Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it. I will probably leave out the tortilla turkey topper, though. I can follow a recipe pretty well, but am severely artisticly challenged. ( My spelling is lousy, too. So, I'm not sure I spelled aristicly correctly.) Thanks again for the blog. It is truly a blessing.
Love and prayers,
Jennifer
Boy do I ever have some stories about my escapades in the kitchen. I guess that makes us kindred spirits on that front. I don't know which title I like best - microwave queen or crockpot queen -or which appliance for that matter. Early in our marriage (we'll celebrate our 25th in June) burnt offerings for dinner every night had nothing to do with how much I love my husband. There was the chocolate cake that was too pretty to cut - and apparently too hard as well, hense the broken knife. (I don't actually remember whether or not I broke the knife but I do remember throwing away the entire uncut cake) I'm happy to report, as are my husband and two sons, that I've learned to cook a few things through the years. I have a fail safe crockpot recipe for cranberry chicken if anyone is interested.
On a serious note, thanks Beth for pouring your life out for the sake of the gospel. You and Keith are a great team and a blessing to many.
Blessings back to you,
Your Domestically Challenged Florida Siesta
ok, i have been reading the blogs for weeks now at 3 am--explanation:i am a pastor's wife, mother of a wild 3 yo boy and a delightful 8 yo girl and in the middle of the biggest mess of a remodel of a 80 yo dilapidated house that dallas has ever seen--i would love to say that i was moved to write after some highly spiritually motivating blog, but as my life so often goes...i am moved by king ranch chicken. thanks for cracking me up on a day that has had me very ill (nothing life-threatening). so appreciate your ministry--the recipes, the fun, the Texas slant and the highly spiritually motivating!
Beth, sorry I'm always a day late and a $ short-I just saw that picture of you and Melissa and man as a mother of 3 BABY boys- I hope my kids have that look in their eye someday-Let me be the first to congratulate you-You did it girl!!!She loves you with her WHOLE heart and then some- you can see it in her eyes! You need to frame it. I'll have that too someday with my boys I hope- I love them with all of me- and I've got the baseball bruises to prove it! Love you my friend, SHELL
that sounds like a great recipe. however, we are missionaries in mexico and we can't get rotel here! i know what you're thinking "mexico? you've got plenty of chiles" but nothing quite compares to the goodness you get in that little can called Rotel. and shredded cheese in a bag?? we haven't seen that in a year! i do believe that keith would approve of our cooking here though. no shortcuts for us (not by choice...) we even had to make our own eggnog for the holidays! we'll look forward to trying out this recipe next year when we return to the land of Rotel and shredded cheese. :) until then, we'll remember what a small sacrifice it is to live without Rotel in comparison to the great sacrifice made for us.
thanks so much for writing. your blog is a constant source of encouragement and smiles for us.
~Kim and Laura
I made this for dinner tonight. It was fitting! Thanks for sharing THE recipe!
This sounds like something I might actually be able to make! I didn't do so well trying to make the chicken and dumplings (big failure!). I'd never heard of Ro*Tel until I moved to Texas...
I was impressed with the turkey that you and Colin made!
Beth you may not can cook, so you say, but you sure want to run to the grocery store, after reading one of your recipes, it was so neat I loved reading it.I could see it cooking.I loved the amy you wrote it. I will se if they have rotel in NC I hope so. Thanks for giving us the recipe & so soon.cant wait till I make it God bless love sister in Christ VictoriaPS I am sure my turkey want look like your but since I am makeing this after Christmas I may use something Christmas,like bell starr.so own.any ideas, oh Keith will you till my husband how to cook, because he cant ha ha
Thanks, this is great and an inspiration to those of us who are "cooking" impaired. We want to encourage you talented husbands to continue to bless our families with your culinary talents! Thank you for following your special call to our Lord's ministry. God Bless you, Beth and your loved ones. Kathy Armstrong, Austin, Texas
Well, I made it for dinner tonight. It was YUMMY! Thanks.
My goodness that sounds good. Don't worry, we have Ro*Tel here in the far reaches of Washington state! I'm afraid I'd have to leave the tortilla turkey to my very talented son - mine would look like roadkill.
And I'll certainly be making the cake this Christmas season. I think you and my mom are cut from the same "kitchen cloth." Her most un-fondest memories are those spent in the kitchen. She is as close to a saint as I've seen this side of heaven . . . . . you're in good company!!
God bless :-)
You know, the men in your family are constantly restoring my faith in the entire gender! =)
Thank-you Beth, for these sweet and amusing glimpses into your oh-so-real life.
It's funny how God uses the simplest things to brighten my day and remind me of His love.
That looks great! I'm going to make it tomorrow with some turkey leftovers instead of chicken!
Loved the Thanksgiving pics. What a blessing to be able to get away to the mountains.
Beth,
Thanks for taking time to write out the funniest recipe I have ever read. I love casseroles and can't wait to try this one. I may even get creative and make a tortilla Santa or Snowman for the added decoration and take this dish to our group pot luck. I love you guys and enjoy this blog so much. Thanks for sharing life with us
Blessings to all, Carolyn
a Raleigh girl from Calif.
Do you cook? I was rolling on the floor reading your recipe. It sounds delicious and I like all of your shortcuts, too. Many more things to do other than to shred cheese, sister.
Gerry
Thanks for the recipe and the humor. Rotel is also a staple all the way in Florida for anything Mexican. I make a great taco soup every Christmas Eve and for anyone who has a baby or whatever the need. Everyone loves it and it would not be good without Rotel. There are several different flavors and my fav is the mexicano (?) with cilantra and lime juice, its not quite as spicy but I love the spicy too. Thanks for sharing a little of yourselves and your vacation with us. I have two girls 7 and 11, and even though I love this age seeing ahead 10 plus years looks amazing also! May God bless your family this Christmas season with gifts of love, peace and joy straight from His throne.
delta
This looks great! You better believe this Illinois-native girl knows where to find the RO*tel tomatoes! How can you have much of any soup or casserole without them? Actually that's what living in Tennessee taught me. Also, I'm with Keith on boiling your own chicken to have broth on hand. Now does he do the Rachel Ray trick and freeze it in baggies so that it can lie down and be stacked in the freezer, thus saving room? :) Just wondering.
This looks great and I can't wait to try it...I'll have to try your sheet cake recipe too. THANKS!
Everyday I can't wait to log on and see what the Moores and Joneses are Up to. I love you dearly and I am so thankful to be apart of your ministry. We all pray for you as I know you pray for us! And Girl my friends and I can't wait...only 271 more days until Siesta TIME!!!!! We are SOOOO excited and please know we are praying now for that time when we gather before him and, honey, BELIEVE me....WE WANT A WORD!!!!
vI made this last night!! What a hit. My husband and son thought I was a cilinary genuis!! I had high praises at dinner and was smiling ear to ear. My meals are usually not as well received if you know what I mean...As we were eating I said to myself...Thanks BETH!!I had one happy man last night:)
Tell Keith we appreciate him offering his recipe! (Maybe my husband can try this on his hunting trips).
I read your blog all the time but just had to comment on this one. We are a "cookin'" family - all standing in the kitchen together, chopping, grating, making gravy, bumping into each other because we have such a small kitchen. Takes about 3 hours of cooking, 1 1/2 hours of eating it all and talking and laughing (why is it that your grown children, in my case, sons, choose Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner to tell you the things they did in high school and college and got away with?) and then 1 hour of cleaning up. We LOVE it! It's not just eating - it's an experience! So your husband doing the cooking cracks me up. Now laundry - THAT gives me hives!! Praise God for a husband who does THAT!!!!!
Blessed are we all this Thanksgiving! Thanks for all you do in His Name!
Well, made the King Ranch Chicken - but cheated with leftover Thanksgiving turkey - and it was still just wonderful! Even reading your recipe with your funny "editorials and comments" cracked me up - you really are not just full of the love of the Lord - but the joy and laughter only hearts truly set free can experience as well. Thanks for not just challenging me to cling to Jesus - sharing the joy and hilarity as well.
You are dearly loved Miss Beth!
PS: The Chicago suburbs have a choice of Rotel products to choose from.
Stood in that grocery aisle, glassy eyed, just wondering - which one do the Moore's use? haha
This looks great - thanks for sharing!
NICE NAILS, Beth! Anyways, this is TOTALLY off the subject, but could you pray for me? I've been really down since Saturday. Just so sad. I have Bible study this morning and the only reason I'm going is 'cuz I KNOW that God has a word for me. Marriages that are falling apart combined with the little girl in my daughters third grade class who just lost her step-mother and her father because of a selfish choice on the part of her father has put me in a slump.
I just love you all so much,
Kristi
PS...this is from kristi a. I can't remember my pass word for some reason.
Those directions/instructions made me laugh out loud - thanks for the giggle
Sounds like a great recipe and I'm planning on trying it this evening using ground beef instead of chicken. (My daddy said that he didn't think Texans ate chicken but I said they must cuz Beth and Keith are there now!) Anyhow, it sounds like a keeper recipe and I'm sure my little family will love it. (Maybe they'll just love that mom is recovering from surgery well and back to cookin' - who knows!) Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the recipe. I had to share.. my family recently moved from Virginia.. a rotel state...to Canada...no rotel... so now whenever anyone comes to visit they have bring some for my stash.
I am SO happy you shared this recipe! I also appreciate you telling me about the RO*TEL tomatoes. I've never heard of them before, but my sweet friend from Texas google searched where I can find them in Michigan... just the other day! You Texans are so sweet! I cannot wait to try this one. It looks fairly simple... famous last words! Yay!
Thanks so much to Keith!
Love you, Beth!
Angie xoxo
Keith: I googled your Ro*tel tomatoes & chilis...the ConAgra foods site let you do a store locator search & they sell them here in MI! :) :0 I can't wait to try out your recipe!
I may have to go buy some cans & put them in a basket for our pastor. He's from TX and misses TexMex and a good salsa!
YES!! I was so hoping you would post this even though I personally did not request it... Great big thank yous to Keith :)
I can get Ro*tel from NC just got me a can will try the recipe soon. God bless love sister in Christ Victoria
This recipe was so great! Beth, if you wrote cookbooks, maybe I would read them and then maybe even learn to cook!!!
Love you and yours!
Tammy in Montana
I may never make this recipe, but I sure got a fantastic laugh reading it! I'm so glad I found this blog!
Angie :)
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I will love to make both of these treats. I know my family would be floored if I did those and did that little turkey on top... How cute!
You are too funny!
I'm adding the ingredients to my market list - thank you for sharing!
For His Name
OK...so I made it!
It just so happens that ROTEL, Cream Chicken Soup, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Corn Tortillas, Chicken, and Cheese are ALLLLLLLLL staples in this Texas home. I just-so-happened to have...hold on while I go count...oh my...18 cans of Rotel on hand, 11 cans cream of chix soup, 14 cans cream of mush...and probably 8 packages of corn tortillas frozen. A variation of these ingredients go in nearly every dish I know how to make. LOL.
P.S. Yes, it was yummy. *I* (but not the rest of my family) had to pour Pace over the top of mine, and then scoop with Tostitos. I GOT TO HAVE SOME ZIP! Thanks Keith!
I hope this works as I printed up a nice big entry and then it went and lost it, man that is frustrating. Thanks for the recipe will try it sometime. Not sure if the Canadians in my family would like texan food so will wait until I get back to my hubby to try it out. Glad to hear I'm not the only moron in the kitchen. I can cook a few things but Keith sounds like my husband, everything made from scratch and no already shredded cheese, we got a grater so get shredding your own. My husband is a fabulous cook. It's funny before I ever got married people would ask me what I would like in a husband and I'd always tell them I pray all the time God sends me a man who can cook. Praise the Lord! he answers cooking pleas. It's funny my husband gives me a hard time when I roll my eyes or do not understand some cooking thing, I think who cares.
Hey wanted to ask you to pray. Last year I wrote LPM about a family that had lost their youngest son to a shooting. It was a horrible tragic accident, about a loaded gun left accidenticaly on a nightstand and the older boy then 8 picked it up to show his younger brother how it worked and he shot his younger brother in the head. Well this Dec 1st is the one year anniversery of Matthew's death. Please remember them during this time. Thanks!
Blesssings Sarah- Prayer Warrior
Thanks for the recipe Beth. My favorite line in the whole entry was - "Like anyone cares". Up until then I was able to keep a pretty straight face. Hello to Chef Keith!
YAY!!!! Thank you for sharing!
I'll give this recipe to my hubby right away so he can make it for us! :)
To answer the Rotel question, Yes you can find Rotel in New Haven, CT. We lived there for two years after moving from Houston and when we would have our other Aggie friends over we would always make Rotel. A little bit of heaven while living in the CT! Also, you will never know how much it meant to 3 Houstonians living in NY & CT when you came to Jersey. Just seeing you in person and hearing your voice made all of our eyes watery. It meant so much to a few home sick girls! In case you are wondering, we are all back in TX.
So, I laughed so hard reading your recipe post, Beth. I love to cook and your commentary and your husband's recipe brought tears to my eyes and made my sides hurt! King Ranch Chicken is a staple in our house as well, also a favorite of my husband's. Thanks for sharing, and as an avid baker I cannot wait to try your Texas Sheet Cake.
Thank you to Keith for sharing his recipe and to Beth for taking the time to type it in for us, you are so funny as usual :o)
I made this Tuesday evening. My husband and youngest daughter loved it! Even my picky seventeen year old daughter who always turns her nose up at anything remotely Mexican, (I know, I know, can you you even believe it) had two helpings!
Love to all,
April
Melissa, I wonder if you are mourning something? That's usually when I experience what you're describing. It can sometimes be as simple as the end of your recent vacation, or the even the end of a season in life. (Singleness?) It can be positive or negative changes. Truly, our problems are all common, aren't they? You are not alone, sister, and you are in my prayers.
Blessings,
Gretchen
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try this recipe, but I did see RO-TEL on my grocery store shelf. I shop at a WalMart Super Center in a very small town so I was quite surprised to see it! I thought of sweet Beth's words that God put it there and was equipping me for every good work!
Alright...I made your King Ranch Chicken tonight for my whole family and it was delicious!!! Great recipe! It will certainly go down in my recipe book! Thanks for sharing...love ya!
We had King Ranch Chicken for supper tonight and all I can say is "Yummy-yum-yum".
Thanks for sharing that recipe even though it was so grueling for you to do so! ;) Your comments did making following the recipe more fun. I laughed a few times! It will be one that we make again sometime. I made this one at my mom's daycare and all of the moms were coming in saying how good it smelled. I think I am going to have to make a few copies for them!
Okay, Beth. I'm just now catching up on reading the blog and I'm making Keith's King Ranch Chicken tonight for my sisters-in-law and our girl's night out.
But...
I just have to say that I do believe that LPM needs to add to its ministry plan for 2008 a cookbook for favorite recipes from the staff. The catch is that YOU, my dear, have to do the commentary of preparation! :)
Blessings, my dear!
Dori
My brother and his family moved to Oregon in 1982 where Rotel was scarce as hen's teeth. Each time our parents flew out to visit from Texas they would pack a case of Rotel. Some things are practically irreplaceable. My family and I love this recipe. I use the low fat versions of the soups and you can't tell the difference.
Okay, unless this would upset Kieth just entirely to much to share.........
I can't do spicey and Rotel pushes my poor little pitiful tastebuds over the edge.....I use mild salsa.
My husband won't touch a mushroom to save his life.....literally. And I got sick of seeing the tiny pile of little bitty shroom flakes on his plate. I use 2 cans of cream of chicken (the mmm mmm good brand, 98% fat free)
Boil chicken? I've got 2 kids....boneless, skinless, breasts all the way.
My honey's gotta watch his fat and cholesterol, I used Baked tortilla chips.
I am sure Kieth would cringe to hear these substitutes, but if anyone else is watching their points, these little alterations make a HUGE difference!
Have no fear, Yankee readers; we can buy Ro-Tel tomatoes even way up here in New Hampshire! But I think they are usually displayed in the Mexican food area. Southern ladies, I won't bore you with the sad details of trying to find spicy food up here in New England, but it's getting better; there are actually a couple of decent barbecue places up here now, as well as the always-popular Texas Roadhouse (close enough when you live where I do). I can't wait to try this recipe out on my Tex-Mex loving family, especially my husband who considers salsa a vegetable...
OH. MY. GOODNESS!!
I just finished off the last little square that was left of our King Ranch Chicken! Beth, please thank Keith for this ever-so-easy and really, really tasty dish!!
While I didn't boil my own chicken and grate my own cheese it did just fine -- can't imagine it being any better!
Spiritual teaching, Godly wisdom, Siesterly encouragement and tasty recipes, to boot!!! Goodness gracious -- I LOVE THIS BLOG!
Blessings,
Dori
I finally picked up the Ro-Tel tomatoes. I took a can into my pastor (a Texas transplant to Michigan) -- he actually hugged the can! :0
Why didn't you all warn me?!
BTW: copied your recipe into a word document & decided not to edit it! Your editorial comments make me smile! If the Lord doesn't come back, can you imagine the next generation reading that?!
I just wanted to let you know that I made this last night for our Hanukka meal and it will now be on our yearly Hanukka menu!!!! There is no doubt that it will be eaten many times throughout the year - but it is definately on the Hanukka menu!! Thanks!
Jenni
Loxley, AL
Could you please tell me what size the pan is for the cake?!? Thank you!
mhpsmith2000@yahoo.com
Heather in CA
Delicious recipe. Ro-tel tomatoes are available in California's Central Valley so all ingredients were authentic. Like another blogger said, I am keeping the editorial comments in the recipe. They are so "Beth" you have to smile while you're cooking. Thank you
Thank you for this recipe! It is my new fav :)
It's 2009 and I finally got around to making your King Ranch Chicken. It's fabulous! My husband 'doesn't do casseroles', so I made it for my parents. I don't think my dad has ever been more proud. (He's on helping #3 as I type this.)
Post a Comment
<< Home