Monday, November 17, 2008

Jackson's Red Banoon

Yesterday after church, Curtis, Jackson and I had a yummy lunch at Luby's Cafeteria with all the other church-going folks on this side of town. As we were leaving, Jackson was given a big red balloon on a string. It was his joy and his delight. Let me just say that his joy and delight are fragile things. Having seen this particular joy swept away in the wind too many times before, I tied the balloon onto his clothes to keep him from losing it. Of course he had a fit about that. My banoon, Mommy! My banoon! He wanted all the control in his sweaty little hand! To my very great surprise, the balloon actually survived the trip home. It was still intact this morning and he enjoyed several more hours with it. He loved it so much. I cringed though, seeing my son get all of this happiness from something so fragile and temporary. It would only be a matter of time before it popped or sprung a leak out of nowhere. Then I'd have a sad, sad boy on my hands.

I think God must look at me in the same way when I'm trying to get my joy and happiness out of earthly things. I wonder if He thinks, Oh, baby girl, that is so temporary. It's already got a leak in it - you just can't see it yet. Find your joy in me! I'm everlasting! My unfailing love it what your heart truly seeks.

So today I'll remember that my beautiful white house, compliments I may get because of this or that, my cute new maternity clothes, the holiday atmosphere that will soon surround us - all of these things I like and love so much - are about as safe for my heart to depend on as a simple latex balloon. These things add color and festivity to my life, but they are not sturdy enough to support my soul. There's only One who is, and He's more than willing to do it for me! He wants to! Thank You, Lord!

What a man desires is unfailing love; better to be poor than a liar. (Proverbs 19:22)

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.
O Israel, put your hope in the LORD,
for with the LORD is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption. (Psalm 130:5-7)


But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love. (Psalm 33:18)

In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD,
even as we put our hope in you. (Psalm 33:21-22)

Labels: ,

197 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing that. I needed to hear it so badly.
Amy

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Blogger jennyhope said...

Oh Amen and Amen Amanda. Psalm 130 is so my favorite.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. I needed that "down to earth" exhortation. Thanks!!! Blessings (and those are the cutest baby boots I've EVER seen!) ;-)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Niesta Amanda,

That, my dear, was beautiful. My soul hungers for exhortation such as that. It's so easy to get caught up in the temporary and lose sight of what's really of lasting importance. Oh, the tyranny of the urgent! Slow down, open your eyes, take a deep breathe, and live like we're here on purpose with eternal hope.

That's my prayer.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Kelly R. said...

Well said...beautiful even. Thank you!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Mary said...

With tears streaming I say, Yes Lord!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:51 PM , Blogger doo-dah said...

Thanks Amanda--I have a "banoon" that Satan delights in as a stronghold in my life from time to time. I needed to hear this today.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Amanda, what a wonderful post. I loved it and see how I act like my children more than I care to admit. A great perspective with the holidays upon us.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM , Blogger GratefulinGA said...

thanks for sharing such sweet reminders Amanda, good word.
tammy

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Melinda said...

What a word, what a word.

Oh, to move my eyes from the flashy "banoons" onto the Foundation of my soul.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Sara Neufeld said...

That's a good word.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Laughing Momma said...

I love when God speaks to me in the seemingly mundane...like red banoons...or through my mothers heart when for the billionth time I correct my quickly growing brood and am reminded how often the Good Lord must be shaking His head at me, saying, "Oh precious Daughter, when will you see the light...how long will you wait until you run to me?"

Thank you Lord for Grace and for never leaving me...may I always run to you.

April

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Holly said...

You know I woke with a song in my heart with these words: "Father, forever faithful and keeping your covenant of love. You have never forsaken your people or betrayed our trust. You are faithful and true and just to say I love you is not enough. I say I love you I will do what you say, I will obey you and surrender all. If I say I'm your friend, I will keep your commands. I will obey you and surrender all." It's from our friends the Foote's.

And when I read about your Jackson's balloon, I think, "Lord, you alone are faithful and holy. You are worthy and able to hold the full weight of me and my concerns this season."

Thank you, Amanda. I have a lot of things weighing on my mind today--many of which concern red banoons.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Joy Patterson said...

Thanks for the good word Amanda! I needed that.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Nichele Lynn said...

Thank you, sweet amnada. My heart has been so heavy on this very topic for the past month or so. Thank you for this reminder!!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, what a precious lesson for us to hear. I hope you have a joyous reunion with your mom.
I returned yesterday from the Breaking Free taping.Psalm 34:5 says, "Those who look to him are radiant;their faces are never covered with shame." I miss those radiant faces in that sanctuary.
It was a wonderful experience that revived a longing to know and love Him more.

On a lighter note, what a hoot to stay with friends in a hotel and have someone come out of the bathroom and yell, "I win!" Thanks Jackson!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:13 PM , Blogger MITZI said...

I love the analogy. I must remember this as my husband and i go through some financial setbacks due to the econmy. Jesus, be my all and all and all!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Cheryl Barker said...

How thankful I am for a Joy and a Hope that will never disappoint!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The emptyings are what it is all about.

This earth as we know it is soon to be no more...for His Kingdom reign is getting ready to be manifested in the earth.

This world has lost all its luster/glamor to me. I want His Kingdom to be manifested in the earth so that all of creation will be set free.

Truly we are watching Babylon fall right before our eyes.

Come quickly Yahshua!

Shalom dear ones.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Immeasurably More Mama said...

What a great lesson inpired by a red "banoon." Thanks for sharing, Amanda!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Patty said...

This ministers to me so much. This is exactly the place where I have been for awhile with God. Only He can satisfy. Not a home of my own, or a new car or clothes or even money in the bank..only He can satisfy and He alone is our security!
Thank you for writing this!!
Love,
Patty

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM , Blogger leigh ann said...

thank you amanda. simple truth. lesson taught many times but not yet fully learned. i'm so easily bogged down by temporary things. thank you so so much for letting God use you to remind me of this.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM , Blogger saved by grace said...

Isn't it amazing how God gives us just waht w need when we need it. Today I was in need of the comments written. I know that my God is faithful. Thanks for letting God use you in such a powerful way. Blessings to you and your family.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

I really enjoyed this post, Amanda! So true!!!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Post!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:37 PM , Blogger ocean mommy said...

Beautiful Amanda! Just beautiful....

steph.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh thank you for that analogy....

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Ann said...

I'm so glad your momma's home safely! It was truly an honor to pray for her each day.
Funny about the banoon...I was just commenting about those earthly things to my sister this morning. She is in a panic over the economy which is easy to do if you own a tv!
I'll be sad tomorrow night to end our Lit study with your hubby. I've learned a lot, and I'm trying to put it to good use.
Thanks for always putting things out to us so clearly.
I adore the blog!
ann

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Thanks Amanda. Great reminder.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Amanda,
A wonderful blog, a wonderful analogy. And the timing for such encouragement could not be better. I am going to look to make sure all that I treasure is real and not just "banoons" today. May God bless your daughter with her mother's gentle heart. You are a blessing. Shalom

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Taria M. said...

What a beautiful illustration our sweet Siesta. Thank you for that. In the last week it's really been pressed upon my heart that we need to keep God as our focus in anything and everything. Even the people that are in our lives are because He wants them there. What a promise He has made for us. So with that, thank you for allowing God to use you in so many lives. You're such a blessing!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Bridgette said...

Amanda,
That was great! I love it when God will uses something in everyday life, such as a balloon, to speak to us! I recently spoke on this topic myself. I refered back to Isaiah 55 which we read in Breaking Free, and it has been a fave of mine! I also read Ecclesiastes, and your story of the balloon reminds me of this...
A Chasing After the Wind!

Have a good week!
oh yea, love the boots! and I'm glad your getting your Mom/Bibby back!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

God has been so faithful to me today to speak such profound truths from His Word through things friends have written! You are one of those friends!

Praying for God to just heap His blessing on your home today!

Blessings,
Dori

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:20 PM , Blogger jdjcullens said...

Wow! did I need to hear that as I am wrestling with our Christmas budget - great Word! great perspective to keep as we go into the holidays!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Dana said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts with us today! Blessings to all of you!

Dana

** Those boots are too, too cute!!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

Well said...
Thanks Amanda for sharing your insights with us. I am always encouraged as I read this blog.
Sandra :)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

I'm in a women's Bible study and we are doing Stepping Up, the Psalms of Ascent study and that very Psalm (130) was in our study this week!

Thank you for your post! I don't want to put my hope or happiness into "latex balloons"!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:35 PM , Blogger AbbyLane said...

thank you for this. it's a word i've gotten a lot lately...you'd think i would have learned to listen the first time.

i'm still amazed at how faithful He is, and how He goes out of His way to pursue me in the sweetest of ways. He is IT.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Cristi said...

So well said I wish I had said myself!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda this is so beautiful and so true. The things in this world that give us such a fleeting happiness compared to eternal joy. We need to always be mindful of this, it is so easy to get caught up in the world. God Bless you!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 4:59 PM , Blogger rooney said...

Just last night, we finished our last session of Stepping Up and had our celebration dinner. 30 ladies from 3 different classes attended. What an awesome blessing to hear each one say how the Psalms of Ascent and the Bible study in general affected them. Many tears have been shed, much laughter shared these past 7 weeks with my sisters in Christ. As awesome as friendship, fellowship and can i even say 'family' love is, I need the constant reminder that I need to first and foremost seek my 'love-needs' from God. A timely word. Thank you Amanda.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Becca said...

I think that said something to all of us, whether we are going through a rough patch or not. Thank you so much for sharing!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the profound lessons found in motherhood...thanks for sharing with this a non-mom! love you so much!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:08 PM , Blogger MeezCarrie said...

Isn't it funny how God uses kids and pets to teach us such 'so THAT'S what I'm like' lessons? When we first adopted our dog Zuzu from the local humane society, she was a wee bit skittish of her new environment. She trusted us implicitly, it seemed, and bonded quickly to us. But when we would take her for walks, she would jump and cower at each fall leaf that would skitter across the sidewalk in front of her. As I heard myself telling her that it was just a leaf blowing in the wind - a silly thing to be afraid of - my Heavenly Father gently reminded me that so much of the time I myself jump and cower at what He can clearly see are just leaves blowing in the wind. Aren't we thankful that not only is He our Father and our Friend but He is our Teacher too! Thank you for sharing the wonderful banoon lesson with us! :)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:18 PM , Blogger Miranda Riley said...

Amen!! Wow, He is our solid ground. Bless Him!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Amanda, what a source of insipration you are to see things this powerful in the simple nature of something earthly. You and your whole family are nothing short of a power house for the Lord. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with this moment.
Looking forward to LIT class tomorrow night to see what nuggets your sweet and blessed husband Curtis will be providing us.

Many, many blessings and lots of love.

Christine Roskamp
Houston Siesta :o)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM , Blogger JottinMama said...

Oh, little boys and their "banoons"! I have a two year old that is crazy about them, too :)

Thanks for the insightful words, Amanda!

Looking to Him for happyness,
Kate :)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, having raised two boys, I can well remember little boys and their balloons so that was a great analogy, not to mention you quoted one of my favorite verses, Psalm 33:22. BTW the diva boots are too cute!
Beth, as you return home for some much needed and well earned rest, I'm praying from Psalm 91:1 that you will dwell in the secret place of the Most High and abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
Much love to all of you,
Patti Hayes

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amanda. . . thanks so much for being so transparent and honest. I have struggled way too often with this very thing. Now, when tempted to that, I'll have a picture in my head and heart to help me keep it in perspective. Oh, to cling to Jesus more and earthly things less! Good word for me today! Thanks for writing it down.

Janine

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Moose Mama said...

Yep, God is speaking. Amen and Amen, Amanda!

You should see what Dori wrote on the Siesta Fiesta Blog today for our Monday Devotional. Same thing. HE alone is our one thing!!!

He is so precious to me.

Melana in Wyoming

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Nadine said...

Don't you just love kids? They're great teachers :)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you have no idea how much this speaks directly to my situation right now! even with the specific choice of words. ive been so worried since i found out i have a leaking heart valve, and one of your sentences said leak and heart. you reminded me to just focus on Him and His love cause thats what matters. what a God thing:) thank you SO MUCH for writing it!!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:56 PM , Blogger Marla Taviano said...

I think you just hit a big ol' nerve. I needed this just now. Right now. RIGHT now. Thanks, Amanda.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 5:57 PM , Blogger Kara Akins said...

So beautifully said, Amanda. You remind me of your mother.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Dionna said...

Great example, Amanda. I'd never thought of it in that way before. So many times I had to talk to my youngest about her despair over a balloon popping or deflating. I love the analogy of comparing the balloon to the temporal things of this world. Thanks for the great object lesson. :)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amanda you spoke right to my soul with your words of encouragement! I am new to LPM and I look forawrd to checking it everyday! Today, that is exactly what the Lord wanted me to hear! Thank you for being so bold with the gospel. May God bless your ministry.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Thank you so much for the verses and the story. I needed that today. as we face the potential job loss I needed this!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:12 PM , Blogger Nichole's Mom said...

i love it when God comes through so loud and clear. Thank you for sharing, this is a perfect bit of wisdom, especially this time of year! Love you bunches,

Judy

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Ashton said...

Isnt' this the truth, Amanda. Wonderful thoughts, important to remember and ponder. Please continue to bring these kind of thoughts to this blog. Thank you for you.
Love, Allison

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing that I love the most about the blog is that my reading and parenting from Feather's from my Nest was a huge part of my children's youthful years and now I get to see the two girls featured in that book grown up. It absolutely does my "Mother's Heart" for her children good to know that Melissa and Amanda are these two eloquent, God-loving individuals and that I can hope and pray for that for my children too. God is good all the time!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,

Thanks so much for this. It is so true. We all need to hear this in this difficult world of ours.

I have printed it out and will share it on Wednesday with my Bible Study ladies. We are almost finished with Stepping Up and are looking forward to starting Esther at the beginning of the new year.

Have a blessed week.

Forever His,

Lawan Rivera
Phil 4:8

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illustrations drawn from your child. Sweet, spiritual insights. You are your Mother's daughter.

Yiipppeee!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:39 PM , Blogger Cathy clark said...

Amanda,
Thank you so much for sharing. Your story and insight are a blessing.
Cathy

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Mindy Banks said...

Oh, Amanda! What a beautiful and lovely post. So, so, well said.

Thank you,
Mindy

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM , Blogger Sacha said...

What a great metaphor. I needed that message today (well, actually everyday). I pray your mom has made it home safely and you will all enjoy some much needed family time! Thank you ALL for ALL you do!
Sacha

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this! it's so true and the church needs to hear this more. We seem to depend an awful lot on the external things of this world. I was just challenged this week at my local kingdom community regarding this. My senior elder said "what did you get your strength from this week? Where did you get your joy from?" It was a huge heart check!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM , Blogger creative gal said...

Thank you for sharing. I, too, needed to hear that today. I know God is saying to me, "Baby doll I've got something so much better in mind," about a situation! Thank you for reminding me this is only temporary.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Amanda, thanks for a reminder about the permanent and the temporary. It's so easy for me to confuse the temporary for something much more important.

Ohh, and those boots? They are just too precious. I just love buying girl stuff!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

thank you Amanda,
so needed to hear this as I have been feeling a bit down about some things and realized they are not my foundation...God is..and that is just the comfort I needed among some challenges of late. Thank you my sweet one.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 8:58 PM , Blogger katiegfromtennessee said...

Oh Amanda, this is very encouraging to me...To attach our joy to anything other than Him will always end up being dissappointing at best, destructive at worst. YES, His unfailing love is what we should seek!! It's just that-unfailing:) When I feel like I'm beg. to look for that kind of love in things or people, I know it's not where my mind should be going! It's esp. easy to look for what you only can find in Him in a spouse too, or children, or people you admire...Prov. 19:22, have never noticed that verse before enough to realize that profoundness:) May His love rest on us, as we put our hope in HIM-beautiful:) I love that. I want to have a godly fear of Him, and a full trusting in Him. Only when I'm sticking close to Him, letting Him be my everything, am I ever truly joyful...gotta love HIM!:)

katiegfromtennessee
Ps. 16:8, Ps. 121:5, Ps. 139:10, Isaiah 41:10, 13

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:01 PM , Blogger taylor said...

so simply and beautifully put! thank you! =)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:02 PM , Blogger DigiNee said...

Thank you for this post Amanda ---- a needed reminder.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

What a wonderful word! I absolutely love the comparison. Yes Lord, may all my hope be in You!!!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:07 PM , Blogger su said...

Amanda,
What a perfect analogy. Thank you - I want to remember this.

Don't you love it when God opens your eyes like that? It's like Jesus telling a parable.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Shellie Paparazzo said...

Oh, Amanda. I love your heart and insight into things. Just like your mama. And our mama of sorts.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Amanda!
Thanks for sharing!
Karen
www.homesteadblogger.com/tagblog

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:25 PM , Blogger twinkle said...

Beautiful thoughts, Amanda.

Father in heaven, I pray that Your Hand would rest on Beth and her team as they come down from the mountaintop experience of Breaking Free. Lord, I know how the enemy would love to steal the mighty faith that they have welcomed into their hearts and souls this week. Darts fly from nowhere. Lord, be their Shield and Defender. Thank You so much for providing all their needs according to Your riches in Glory. May they go forth with Your unfailing love resting on them and guarding them like a mother protecting her young. Bless them, Lord, bless them indeed! Father, for those who came to sit under this teaching, I pray for Your Spirit to continue to surround them and lead them through the battles that lie ahead for them. May they fight on their knees with the Word of God and may You receive all Glory and Honor. Blessed be the name of the Lord. In Jesus Name. Amen.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Ben and Kristen said...

What a great analogy. Thanks for sharing!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I needed that word today! Thank you so much for hearing the word and passing it along to us.
Kelli M

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Jason Taylor and family said...

May God POP all of our red banoons. And then we come to Him empty-handed, facedown at the foot of the cross, and simply accept His mercy and grace.
Thanks Amanda,
From Christie (a new siesta)

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Kelly @ Love Well said...

That's a profound take from your everyday life.

Nothing wrong with a balloon -- until it becomes more than a balloon.

But dang, it's hard to let a balloon just be a balloon, isn't it?

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:31 PM , Blogger Profbaugh said...

What a wonderful analogy! Yes, let me find my joy in the LORD and Him alone.

Much love,
~Cheryl

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda - best post of yours I've read yet (and I'm pretty sure I've read them all!)

Nodding my head in agreement with your sentiments,

Warm in Alaska.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM , Blogger bethany said...

You are so wise...thank you!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM , Blogger Kyle Taylor said...

Love this!
He has been working on me with this one too. My problem is when I am focusing on the stuff of here, I want more. Its never enough, and it frustrates me. God is contstantly asking me, "am I enough for you Katie?". I remember when He spoke to me as I looked around my house contemplating all this one day...He said, "its all doomed, Katie". That really hit home. He sees smoke when He sees this stuff, because He is eternal, He knows its destination.

I want to experience the Christmas season this year with the things of eternity on my mind, I want to see it from His perspective this year....oh, I can't wait!

I Love and appreciate you!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM , Blogger eternity driven said...

What a beautiful word picture. Thank you, Amanda! I loved it!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 10:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally irrelevant but when I was pregnant, I LOVED Luby's mac and cheese. I gave birth and they went out of business here. I hope they weren't staying afloat only b/c of the amount of mac and cheese I ate!?
Steph S

 
At November 17, 2008 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Ohhhhhh, this was so great to hear. It's all about Him and nothing about us, isn't it???? Glory to His Name! Thank you for such timely words, Amanda.

 
At November 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Amanda,
I had never really thought about the "banoon" analogy! How very true what you said is...we do put our happiness into things that can easily be blown away, or popped by the enemy! You have truly given me something to think about! Hope you have gotten to enjoy your Mom coming home! Looking forward to when your sweet one gets here. My birthday is in February, but I hope you don't have to wait that long for the little one (26th of February!)
Love you guys and give everyone a hug! You all mean so much to me.
God bless you,
Delilah
debert80@yahoo.com

 
At November 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was profound and was very needed today!!! Thank you Amanda! In Jesus' Love Kathy Knoblock

 
At November 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this timely and well-spoken word. I needed it!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

cWhat a great picture of the fleeting stuff of this life. I really needed that visual. I sometimes get caught up in the little "ballons" in this world and lose sight of the heavenly. Thanks for that great word picture.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM , Blogger Tracey said...

oh amanda ~ so timely before i jump into my CHRISTmas shopping! my heart needed this. thanks.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Billie said...

this just tore me up...thank you

 
At November 18, 2008 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Three Fold Cord said...

Very good!! Especially in the times we are in here in our country. It is a good way for us to have a visual picture of what we should really be focused on and find joy in!!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your post is a blessing...I'm doing a study where this week we are discussing idols and Jackson's big red balloon has created the perfect visual aide. It's 7:00am here in WI and I just called the gal that does worship for Bible study to share Jackson's story. This might be the perfect way to share with our gals just how temporary these idol of the world are. Thank you!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:21 AM , Blogger Susan B. said...

What a wonderful reminder! Thank you so much!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect timing to be reminded my soul can only be satisfied in my Shepherd King, alone! Thanks for the reminder, AJ. Precious booties too!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Amanda - Thank you for writing this post. God is so amazing!! My study time this morning was from the Breaking Free study on His unfailing love. Proverbs 19:22 was one of the key verses. He is so good!!

rebecca in e.tx

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:15 AM , Blogger ArmyReserveWife said...

Amanda, What a word I needed. Our family is going through some tough issues with our daughter and my mother so that was a great word for me this morning as I read the blog.

Thank you!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Heiress of God said...

Amanda:

I so needed this post this morning. I have been dealing with a huge betrayal of a friend.. and I so was just saying to my sister this morning...This is why we put all of our faith in our Father, because Just like that red bannon... sometimes it will get a hole in it or a leak or for that matter even burst.

Thank you for sharing His words with me...It does bring this broken heart some tender and much needed hugs.

Blessings on your day today!
Lichelle

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Jan said...

I can't believe how ON TARGET you are today.

I'll just put my sewing machine away for a bit.

Really. No more quilting today :)

Jan

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. Simply beautiful.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger The Murphys said...

Thank you! This is so true and something I needed to hear this morning! Have a wonderful day!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for such insight. What a blessing it is for me today.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Dee said...

Praise the Lord for His unfailing love. Thank you. Deidra

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks amanda. i needed to read this today. i have been putting my hope in an inappropriate relationship that i keep running back to. i need to trust the Lord to be my joy and contentment. thanks for the encouragement.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Retta said...

I missed my quite time this morning...my doing, I could have made time for it and just didn't...but even when I fail me God is faithful...Thank You!

Oh just noticed this was posted yesterday I was sick all day yesterday and so missed it then too...God is so awesome!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Unreasonable Grace said...

Good word, Amanda! And very appropriate for this time of year when we tend to get wrapped up in the festivities of the season. And Aunty M has great taste in boots!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this post last night but it was sort of late so I decided I would wait until this morning to comment. It was beautiful and something I will ponder in my heart for some time. God is so awesome in His revelations isn't He?
Adorable boots by the way!
God Bless!
Charlotte - in Georgia

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Blogger eliyah said...

Dear precious lambs,

It is not enough to just let go of temporal things, but to be DEAD to them. We are called to be crucified to this world and its SYSTEMS.

I have been a 'christian' for over 20 years but it has only been the last 7 that I have come to fellowship in HIS SUFFERINGS. I have sung songs about the 'cross' but have never EXPERIENCED it. At first I didn't want any part of it...(especially coming from a charismatic background)...for I would be quick to quote "I am the head, not the tail, above only not beneath, all my storehouses are blessed'...but the CROSS brought great perplextiy as one by one all those temporal things was dealt with...till I finally came to a place that it was no longer I but CHRIST.

I want to encourage all of you that are going through the REFINING FIRES (job loss, foreclosure, sickness, death, ect.) to embrace the CROSS and cry out "CONSUME ME, ever consuming FIRE of God".
It is good to be dead...for this world and all its 'stuff' is PEA GRAVEL compared to the riches of CHRIST in you the hope of GLORY.

Shalom,
Eliyah

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Diana said...

Amanda,
Amen! Thank you for posting this!
Blessings to you!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Andreea said...

How sweet about Jackson an his banoon!!

Thank you for sharing that word with us. I so needed that this morning!! :)

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:19 AM , Blogger cheryl said...

Its been so long since I have been here to the blog. I miss catching up on ya'll, and I really loved this post!. Thank you so much, it is just what I needed to hear today!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.
Needed this reminder.
So frustated lately.
Guess I'm too focused on my red ballon.
God Bless you.
Rebekah.
Jacksonville, Fl

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

This is one of my favorite LPM Blog posts. (A close second would be the NYC posts... And I also loved Melissa's top 10...and Melissa's hat tip to the blog Good Things Catered, way back when...) With genuine thankfulness for Beth, Amanda, and Melissa this Thanksgiving season!
Elizabeth

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Susan T-V said...

Thank you for that timely word!!

Each of you minister in your own unique way, and I am so grateful for your ministry. Please know you are prayed for and loved.

Susan

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:30 AM , Blogger His Jules said...

What a WORD this morning Amanda! and so timely. Thanks so much for sharing your heart and your life on a daily basis with those of us who sometimes just lurk and listen.
I pray God's richest blessings on the Jones, Moore, and Fitzpatrick families. May you blessed as you have blessed us.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Abba's Girl said...

Amen Siesta!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Faran said...

I needed this encouragement today, Amanda. I have been struggling to give Jesus my disappointment over some furniture that turned out badly! FURNITURE for heaven's sake.

I don't get to spend much money on my home, so when I do, it's a real treat for me and I get a lot of joy from the process. I'm remodeling my girls' new room and got 2 antique twin maple beds. I asked the restorer I hired to make them as dark as possible, almost black. He said he could get them dark, but not black. Fine with me. I thought I was clear in my desired outcome. Instead (and $160 later), they are as honey brown as you can get. Just like what I brought to him only with a nice, new finish. He said that's as dark as he could get them.

I have cried at the way they turned out; cried at my emotional reaction; cried at my people-pleasing response to him of "It's not what I wanted, but, oh, that's OK" when it's really not; cried at the deeper disappointment in my life's circumstances that this reveals. Then Satan moves in for some extra condemnation (How dare you cry over furniture when some people don't even have homes, much less furniture!) What a mess I am. But a mess in progress, praise His name!

So even this morning as I have been relinquishing this to Him, your words encourage me in the right direction. If anything is going to burn up in the end, it's furniture! Still, He is challenging me to learn how to lovingly handle confrontation. And to find my joy in Him, not in my grown-up balloons. =)

 
At November 18, 2008 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Amanda for showing me a truth that I know, but fail to claim regularly. Especially when putting that joy and happiness in people. I was hurt last night by something a friend said to me, and was still teary-eyed about it this morning. But to see this post this morning, I'm reminded that ALL my joy comes from the LORD, and not people....... He will never leave me, nor forsake me. Jesus Christ is the One I need to depend on.

Thank you Amanda for speaking your heart...

 
At November 18, 2008 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Amen, Sister!!!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

I loved this post, too! Thank you for the reminder that this life it temporary. It was needed today. Take care.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Di said...

I just let go of my Red Banoon. Thank you, Amanda (and Jackson) for this reminder that the only thing worth hanging on to - yes, even tying onto myself - is the unfailing love of God...

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Cindy in Ferndale said...

What a beautiful analogy and how true. It sure gives me something to chew on and ponder as I go through my day.
love you all......Cindy

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Jill said...

What a great reminder; especially as we enter the hustle and materialism of the Christmas Season. How I pray that my family will focus on the eternal and the lasting gift of Jesus this year! May it be so.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:44 PM , Blogger Elizabeth S said...

I just posted on my blog today about praising God while we wait for Him. Your scripture went right along with that!! So cool how God works.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Emmy said...

Awesome! So true! Amen! : )

 
At November 18, 2008 at 12:56 PM , Blogger one of four said...

Thanks. I needed that today.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear husband of 42 years died in a bike accident in July and life as I knew it changed in an instant! God has been faithful, but there are still many moments of sorrow & sadness in my heart that has a big hole still in it. Your words today blessed me so -- and confirmed what I'm learning day-by-day without my beloved partner -- God is our focus -- not this life, material things or even the people He puts in our lives. He is the only One who is, was and will be! And He loves us so!!!!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Tamara said...

I cannot tell you how much i needed to read this today.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Kim said...

So very true! Thank you God for that lesson from our Siesta`s sweet little man.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM , Blogger tandtsmom said...

Okay, so usually I'm a lurker but I just have to let you know God spoke through you directly to me, siesta! Thanks so much for sharing.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:30 PM , Blogger JayCee said...

That's a great word picture.
Thanks for sharing, Amanda!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM , Blogger Marita said...

That was beautiful Amanda.
Thank you so much for the illustration.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM , Blogger Tisha said...

Oh how I needed this right now. Our house was broken into this morning and I am so sad. Thank you LORD that my joy is in you alone. And thank you LORD that my family is safe...and our precious boxer bulldog.

Love to all,
Tisha

 
At November 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love a GREAT parallel between us and children. It illustrates God's greatness, love, and understanding of us so well.
We have so many balloons in our own lives. Praise God that He is the air that fills our balloon.

Prayers & Blessings,
Darinda

 
At November 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Kiki said...

Yes, good Word!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM , Blogger thouartloosed said...

Amanda, this really touched my heart today.
God bless!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM , Blogger April said...

So true!!!! Thank you for sharing and reminding us of that... I have a toddler who too loves "baoouuns" ha ha what a great analogy!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Amanda, you are truly being used by the Lord today!!! Thanks for those words and I'm just gonna have to link my blog over to you today, girl! I could not write better words to illustrate that precious message!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder, Amanda! It is indeed easy to get caught up in the temporary and forget to focus on the eternal.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

So well written, Amanda. Thanks for the gentle but firm reminder!

Love you so much!
Kristen

 
At November 18, 2008 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Dianne said...

This is absolutely true. Thanks for sharing!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished the Psalms of Ascent study yesterday. I hold Psalm 130 dear. As a part-time worship leader at my church, I took a few weeks off and just did the study on my own. It was a stream of water to my weary soul! Thank you, Beth!

Thanks, Amanda, for your words today. Every thing that we have here on earth is passing. Oh that we would live like we know that!

Thanks for your encouragement, ladies! God bless you!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Kristib said...

Thank you for that timely message! Help us to always keep our eyes on You Lord!

(Aunt Melissa did a good job shopping for baby girl boots. So cute!)

Much love!
Kristi B.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM , Blogger Lois said...

To Judy,
My first husband was killed instantly in a motorcycle accident in April 2003. Nobody's experiences are the same, but I know at least some of what you are going through. The pain and loss never completely goes away, but God continues to be faithful and to bring comfort as only He can. Please know that I am praying for you tonight, and will pray for you as He brings you to mind, especially during this approaching holiday season.

Amanda, thank you so much for sharing this illustration. I so appreciate the visual reminder to not hang on so tightly to things that are temporary. It is far too easy to waste time and energy on things that hardly matter today, and definitely don't matter in light of eternity.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

O amanda! I so needed that today! WOW!!

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, you are so richly and abundantly blessed with wisdom...and a remarkable, wonderful ability to share it! Thank you so much.

Way too often, I find myself crying over the banoons I don't have (extended family, financial security, a backyard, a real Christmas tree) and ignoring the ones He has so graciously given me (my kids, my church family, a sunny wonderful large apartment, my cats, my books...and the ability to read this blog!)

What a timely reminder that all of these are banoons -- my joy is in His salvation, and His joy is my strength. Kinda yanks my priorities back into place!

Thank you so much for sharing this. And thanks, too, for sharing your mom with so many people.

Love,
Alyson

 
At November 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM , Blogger wholeheart said...

Beautiful! Life is like a banoon! Jesus is forever!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I so often put my heart into something so fleeting as a latex balloon? The analogy is profound because we are so desperate for material things, our dreams coming true, and our relationships. Even when we get what we want, it does not fill our soul. Thank you for this today!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent analogy! Love it! I linked to it on my blog.

And oh could I ever relate to the story. I used to cringe when my son's got balloons because they were SO THRILLED, but something always happened and it was just so traumatic! Oh how much we can be just like that.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Cara Trier said...

Thank You so much Amanda, I copied those verses down on index cards and are carrying them with me in my back pocket today. (Just like your mom taught me) They are like balm for my heart. Thank you!

Cara

 
At November 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a perfect analogy! Thanks for sharing what God lays on your heart!

Blessings!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder how we let unlasting daily 'stuff' take hold rather than letting GOD take hold of us. HE is what matters and what I need to find total joy in.. My 16 year old loves reading blogs by you Amanda so I pray the Lord continues to use you ( Jackson) to bring truth to us...

 
At November 19, 2008 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for providing the "mile marker" I needed today. It was a tremendous blessing.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

What a wonderful analogy! Beautiful image. How precious is that sweet boy.... we can't wait to hear what God teaches you through Baby girl!!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Isunji said...

Good stuff right there! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings! :o)

 
At November 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Thank you! Your words are the reminder I needed at just this moment!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have your mother's genes, alright!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Beth Herring said...

Amanda, Thank you for the important reminder about our priorities concerning the temporal. Last night my husband and I headed to Lifeway to purchase the Esther leader kit. (Praise the Lord!) I also picked up a few more of your moms studies. I am addicted to her material. It speaks to me so.. We left there and went to the mall and just looked around. We went to one of my favorite stores and there was so much pretty stuff! I wanted it all and was beginning to feel bad because I couldn't buy it all! Then the Lord spoke to me and my dissatisfaction - "remember the banoon, Beth" Temporary pleasure. Short-term delight. Seasonal. Oh Lord, forgive me for looking to "stuff" for my happiness. My joy is in you, Lord.

Thank you little Jackson and Amanda for this Word.

In His grip of Grace,
Beth Herring

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Beautiful words, achingly beautiful truth. Thank you.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM , Blogger EstherRD said...

Thanks for that Amanda,
I needed that wonderful reminder of where to place my hope, love and joy!
Love you all bunches!
Esther :)

 
At November 19, 2008 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Jessie said...

our kids teach us sooo much...I have gotten so many glimpses of God through their eyes and actions.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ,
I also wanted to thank you for sending Ps.33:21-22.
I've been memorizing/meditating on 33:22 but now want to add v21. What encouragement to focus on the LORD... "In Him our hearts rejoice..."

 
At November 19, 2008 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Pilgrim said...

Thank you so much for sharing ...

How great it is to know that while red banoons may be beautiful, our dear Lord is the same Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow, and HE, and His Word, will last FOREVER.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those particular scripture verses. The Lord has been leading me to do a word study on Hope. I am just beginning but am looking forward to all He has for me.
Pat in Kansas

 
At November 19, 2008 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Myrna said...

God keeps bringing me this lesson today. He's winking at me right now, I think. Thank you for letting God's words flow through you in such wonderful ways!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 8:57 PM , Blogger bethany said...

Had to jump on here and add another comment about Jackson's red banoon...one of my students is really into the little book "Goodnight Moon" and I just keep thinking of Jackson each time James says "Goonight red banoon"...it's sooo cute!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM , Blogger bethany said...

Me again....Oh my goodness...this post is just all over Jackson tonight! After I finished the last comment the word verification thingy popped up again and what word would you guess it spelled?! MISTR! I know that it is missing the "E" but I could not let it go! This one is for you little Mister! I pray God's blessings over your little life today and forever!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 9:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Lord :)

 
At November 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Meghan said...

What a beautiful analogy Amanda, truely beautiful.
I am so ready to celebrate Christ's birth this year. I look at all my Christmas "stuff" and think of Jackson's red banoon. Some of it is beautiful, some of it makes me laugh, and some of it makes me remember Christmas as a child. It is not lasting, but Jesus is and is coming back to take us all home. Oh Praise Him. I just bought Travis' Christmas album. It is beautiful, and praise is not temporary, it is lasting!

Blessings to the Moores!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Smelling Coffee said...

What a great comparison and lesson! Thanks for sharing that.

 
At November 20, 2008 at 10:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a husband out of work - a car broken down - holidays here - I needed the reminder that God is in control - Our trust - faith - hope - security - should all be placed directly into God's hands. Thank you for letting God speak through you and a little boy's balloon.

 
At November 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM , Blogger 0 said...

Really enjoyed that Amanda - good reminder for all of us in these times. By the way, I have a son who loved and lost many a baloon - there is a really cute Jamie Lee Curtis book called "Where do Balloons go" all about balloons having parties and fun when they fly up into the sky - I would highly recommend it.
Debbie

 
At November 20, 2008 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that is a great post thanks for pointing us more to what is everlasting.

 
At November 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - How often do I let the "red balloons" in my life distract me from The Lord. Thank you for reminding us of the world's distractions. Blessings!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Christal said...

Wow what a great analogy!!! Thank you Amanda for sharing!!!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Julie said...

I'm going through your "Believing God" series with some women at my church and I just want to thank you for your passion for the Lord. My husband and I have been trying for a baby for the past 18 months (after an early miscarriage). Well we found out today that we're pregnant!!!! I BELIEVED God for this promise and HE'S moved the mountain. Praise the Lord!!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 2:39 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Thank you for that Amanda! It spoke right to this mother's heart!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 6:05 PM , Blogger dvans said...

Wow...thank you so much for sharing your story and wisdom...God was speaking to me through your words!

 
At November 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Amanda.

I could hear the air rushing out of a balloon in the background as I was reading it.

 
At November 20, 2008 at 8:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for that! That was very well said!

 
At November 21, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Wow, so true! And not only are some of our earthly joys temporary, they so often blow up in our face.

 
At November 22, 2008 at 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is quite a late posting in response to your words of wisdom Amanda. Unfortunately I have been away from reading the blogs for a week because I have been out of town helping my husband and sister-in-law, in the wrapping up of their fathers life. We were notified on Nov 14th that he had taken his life - he had lived that life totally for self and trying to seek happiness and peace in the things of this world - - which of course he never found. He was such a wonderful man, and we have prayed and tried so many, many times through the years to help him to see where his only TRUE hope and peace would be found. To our knowledge, he never accepted the free gift offered to him. But as we cleared out his condo, closed out bank accounts and had services discontinued, all I could think about was that it was all just 'stuff' and while we (especially women) enjoy our 'stuff', it was never meant to fill that need in our lives that only our true Father, through His Son fills....so my reading of your post helps to remind myself of that. Thank you for it...

 
At November 22, 2008 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Faith said...

What a vivid analogy! I love it. Thanks for posting that. Love the verses, too.

 
At November 22, 2008 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Janet Baker said...

This is my first post to the blog, although I read it often. Our pastor teaches us to "obey the Spirit promptly" and so it was with that prompting that I sat down to read the blog, purposely looking for a word and some much needed encouragement today. My heart is so heavy with burdens that seem so "forever" and I needed to be reminded that they really are temporary. Thank you for providing another way for me to see God at work in my life.

 
At November 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad I found this blog page. I am so far behind. Amanda is pregnant??? Melissa is married???? Where have I been all this time. I guess I am so engrossed doing all those Beth Moore Bible Studies, I have lost touch with the outside world. Well, God is gooder than I even knew. Praise His Wonderfulness! I have done 7 or 8 of these studies in the past 3 years. When you find something good you try to get all you can. I am a changed woman, thanks to our God who I now know loves me immeasurably. I cannot thank you all enough for following the lead of our dear Savior. You will be in my prayers daily from this point on. God bless the men who try to lasso these wild women for God. May your homes feel His love and peace each day. I look forward to meeting you all in Heaven one day.(which may not be too long from now)God bless you.

 
At November 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Kristy said...

Oh Amanda, I got goosebumps reading that. Thank you for putting that in such a way that is so easy for us all to get and visualize!

 
At November 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Amanda for your words of truth.
~Kristen

 
At November 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to my friend Jennifer Woolley for introducing me to your blog. Praise be to God for revealing that scripture to me. He knows what I need. Kim

 
At December 3, 2008 at 3:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finding myself holding on to what was or what could of been

 
At December 3, 2008 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Tanya D said...

Thank you Amanda. This really hit home.

 
At January 2, 2009 at 2:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading over this post again as the new year begins. In my mid thirties, reflecting on "things". Come to realization of how much of my life has been spent "chasing" the fun "things", "things" that symbolize status, & "things" that make me look important in the eyes of others. Not wanting to invest the time for the "things" in life that require hard work, sacrifice, and that no one sees. Coming to terms with how am I going to spend the remainder of my years here on this earth as the new year begins.

 
At January 2, 2009 at 2:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading over this post again as the new year begins. In my mid thirties, reflecting on "things". Come to realization of how much of my life has been spent "chasing" the fun "things", "things" that symbolize status, & "things" that make me look important in the eyes of others. Not wanting to invest the time for the "things" in life that require hard work, sacrifice, and that no one sees. Coming to terms with how am I going to spend the remainder of my years here on this earth as the new year begins.

 
At January 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading over this post again as the new year begins. In my mid thirties, reflecting on "things". Come to realization of how much of my life has been spent "chasing" the fun "things", "things" that symbolize status, & "things" that make me look important in the eyes of others. Not wanting to invest the time for the "things" in life that require hard work, sacrifice, and that no one sees. Coming to terms with how am I going to spend the remainder of my years here on this earth as the new year begins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home