Grateful Hearts
My Sweet Siestas,
It's a little after 7:00 PM on Thanksgiving evening and it's just me and my best little buddy, Star. WHEW! We had a great celebration today that started with a bang. I had an abbreviated quiet time out on the back porch (it's gorgeous and cool in Houston right now) then hit the kitchen tile running. I baked a ham, pulled it out of the oven and glazed it, put the turkey in the oven, and started setting tables. Everything becomes a table for holiday meals at the Moore house. Melissa and Colin rolled out of bed early and helped me get everything ready. She made the most incredible broccoli rice casserole. You'd think that dish would take the place of a green bean casserole but not in my family. They would be aghast. Amanda also came over early and brought that incredible pumpkin dessert. I made my usual Texas Sheetcake. It's a family tradition. Curtis lagged behind another hour with Jackson and Annabeth so Amanda would just be free to help before all the company hit the house. My sons-in-law are the best.
My mom would have been super proud of my cornbread dressing again this year. It wasn't my absolute best but it was really great. Keith's parents, one of his sisters (the other lives in Japan), her two fine boys, one of my sisters and her two fine boys, the Joneses, Fitzpatricks, Keith and I all crowded in this very familiar abode of 25 years. So many memories here.
It was such a sweet day. We gave thanks to God, ate, all talked at the same time, laughed, and ate some more. The Fitzpatricks left the earliest because Colin's parents, Joe and Jude Ann, live in our area, too, and they didn't want to miss that celebration either. The two of them will probably gobble in their sleep. I remember those days really well because, when Keith and I were young, our parents also lived in the same town. We didn't want to miss out on either family and would have gotten in the biggest fight if the other dared suggest otherwise.
Keith and one of his nephews headed for deer country by mid afternoon. (I told you he would. Has for 25 years. Uh, make that 30 but who's counting?) His other nephew headed to the Texas A&M/Texas game. One by one all the other company left as well. My sister and I hadn't seen each other in way too long so we hugged and hugged before she and her boys pulled out of the driveway.
Curtis and Amanda would not leave me here by myself until they'd cleaned the entire kitchen and even vacuumed my floor. I was astonished. I've had a dern herniated disk - the MRI said a "large" one - and, boy, has it ever hurt. I have never been a weakling or a person who preferred to be waited on so it's really been hard for me to sit back and let people do certain things for me. This back thing has been so painful, though, that it has forced some sizable limitations. I've been so annoyed with it. That does NOT include putting down Annabeth - she's within my weight limit, that tiny thing - although I have had to tell Jackson that Bibby can't carry him for a few weeks. He dearly loves for Bibby to carry him.
After watching CJ and AJ whip my house back into shape, I packed up enough leftovers for them to have for supper when they got home and I walked them to their cars with their sleepy babies. Then, I came back inside, got down on my face and thanked God for my family, fixed me a plate of leftovers and savored every bite in front of the television. Have you ever noticed that you can't really relax and taste the food as well when you're the hostess? But afterward, you can relish every single crumb all by yourself and say, "Not bad, woman. Not bad at all."
Well, Lis just called me and she's on her way home so I better sign off. She's dying for some of her mother's leftovers. Can you believe it? She'll eat then we'll have some hot tea, put our aching feet in some hot soapy water, and talk all about today. Tomorrow we'll do absolutely NOTHING. And I can hardly wait. I'm closing in on the last few chapters of a really great Christian fiction novel. Yep, tomorrow's the day. Monday will come all too fast.
I am so thankful for each one of you. So grateful to our merciful God for the privilege to serve people like you. So thankful for my family. For my salvation. For JESUS. I thought it would be so rich to ask you to share one thing that you're thankful for this year THAT YOU NEVER DREAMED YOU'D BE THANKFUL FOR. In other words, what has caught your grateful heart by surprise this year?
I love you. Happy Thanksgiving, my dear, dear fellow sojourners.

447 Comments:
Scripture memory. It has done more for me as far as my faith in God than I ever dreamed.
Beth, this year - I've been thankful for being single! Yes, I didn't think I'd say that one, and of course I've had my ups and downs - but My Jesus has carried me so far and so close to His heart this year, I couldn't imagine having to go through my life without having had this special time with Him!
I NEVER DREAMED I'D BE THANKFUL FOR..hard times! But this year I've learned that they force me to spend more time (than my usual quiet time) alone with God and His Word, and I've come to know Him even more personally, intimately because of it.
I lost my sweet Mom on Sept. 22this year and she was way too young (65). I'm thankful that in the midst of grieving, I'm still thankful and love Jesus even more. Does that make sense??
Beth,
Today among all the other wonderful things God has given me, Salvation, my husband, my sons, my extended family, provision, etc . . . I'm thankful for you . . . just this morning as I was on my face before God words you spoke in something I watched came flashing back to me and I understood what you were saying. You said you can't live in "grey" you have to live in black and white. I have a similar abuse background as you, Beth, and have had many recent revelations from God . . . I get it Beth, I get it, I HAVE to watch what I see, read, and hear because of my background. Thank you for so willingly sharing your heart with us--it does make a difference--it does. Bless you (and your back)! :)
I am thankful that my GOD loves me so much that He will not let me out of His sight and that He loves me no matter what.
s.s.
p.s. My husband just left to go hunting and won't be back till Sunday. I don't mind though because he enjoys it so.
Love you Ms. Beth and grateful for all that you do for us.
I loved reading about your Thanksgiving Day... I'm happy it was wonderful. We had a beautiful day too.
Your question has me stumped! I suppose something I am grateful for, which I never thought I would be, is all the rain we have had this year. After two years of pretty severe drought here in TN, this year we are well ahead of the average annual rainfall, and I am thankful... and so is our garden!
Love,
Adrienne
This year I am thankful that I am here with my family. I am 31 years young and in Sept 2008, at the age of 30, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My husband and I have 3 children, 14, 12, and 6 and I could not imagine what this diagnosis was going to do to our family.
But I'll tell you what it's done to our family. It has brought us closer to our Lord and to each other, it has set our priorities straight, and made us focus on the joy that God gives us every day. There is ALWAYS something to be thankful for.
I completed a year of treatment on October 2, 2009 and have no evidence of cancer. Praise God! I am thankful for the journey that God has led me on this past year and give him all the honor and glory for my healing. I also praise Him for holding my hand, and also carrying me, during this past year. He has never left my side and I plan to make my second chance at life count for Him. I pray every morning that He will guide my path and help me to be open to whatever He has in mind for me.
Through what could have been a devastating diagnosis, God has captured my attention and captured my heart! Thank you for this opportunity to share!
I'm thankful for God moving us from our home and comfort zone to Providence...and it has been exactly that. Given that I loathe change, I am shocked as I type that the I am grateful for this change. God is so good!
I am SO thankful for our new house! For my husband and for the baby that is on the way (maybe we will meet her/him tonight!!). I am also thankful for my husband working with the ministry of 'Word of Life Canada'.
Thank you Lord for your surprises to me. You are so faithful!
Rachel
I'm so thankful for the challenges I've faced this year. I've been tested in ways I've never imagined, and I'm thankful for HIS strength in the midst. My heart is so full of gratitude.
i never dreamed i'd be thankful for: getting up before the sun. i never thought i could do it (let alone be thankful for it), but ever since i had my daughter 17 months ago, it is the only sure time i have by myself with the Lord. i love it so much. i am so very thankful God persisted in convicting me to do it (i resisted for YEARS!), and now helps me to do it (almost) every day.
I am so thankful that God allowed time for me to go on mission with my husband not once, but twice this year. Chris is usually the one to travel while I teach and/or take care of our children, but thanks to a little surprise money and my mother-in-law's availability to care for the boys, I was able to go to the Dominican Republic in June and this week. We've been home less than 24 hours. This time around I got to teach English in a Christian school - without my interpreter!!! I was also able to hear Chris share his testimony two times on Sunday. God is good all the time.
My surprise came last night....I was spending time with my best friend of almost 10 years. She doesn't know Jesus but is one of the sweetest, most caring person I've ever met - I just adore her! After hours of chit chatting, catching up, and mindless shopping @ Target, I went to drop her off @ her house, and she randomly said she wanted to go to Starbucks and continue our conversation...and that she also wanted to talk about God and my faith. I was stunned. It was a dream come true. Even though I've been praying for her for years, I still struggled with my unbelief; there was always a part of me that doubted whether she would/could change.
We had the best talk, and while I felt (and still feel!) so incredibly ill-equipped to even *try* to answer the tough questions she's dealing with, I am grateful that she is searching and confident that God WILL show up and reveal Himself to her, the same way He's revealed Himself to me. (Why did I ever doubt in the first place?)
So, this Thanksgiving I am thankful that God once again reminded me of what He inspired in Ezekiel 36:26....He can give people new hearts...remove hearts of stone and replace them with hearts of flesh.
AMEN!!!!
i'm 37 and still have 3 living grandparents. my husband and i picked up 2 of them today and drove them to my parent's house. i've been thankful for the length of time i've had them around for quite sometime, but today i was grateful that i had to pick up one from a rehab hospital and one from a retirement apartment (even though they are married). At least i still have them here to enjoy and for my kids to enjoy. i never thought i'd be in this place in my life. it was emotionally straining to take my grandad back to the rehab hospital and leave him all alone, and my grandmother back to their tiny little apartment and leave her all alone. at the same time my eldest grandparent went back to her old farmhouse all alone. i became very thankful today that God has allowed me to become wiser and more mature in my extreme appreciation for the wisdom and blessing of having all 3 of them around. and i thought all i would be thankful for was all the delicious food!!!
Thank you for sharing your lives with us. We enjoy watching from afar!
Never, never did I think I would be thanking God for this past year and the near financial collapse. God has shown Himself to us this past year in ways I would never have dreamed. And though we have always known His word says He is faithful, He showed up to show us that He is all He says He is! I wouldn't trade that lesson for the world. And our family has watched from afar to see how we have handled the trials. Praise be to God who has the glory!
I've recently started having anxiety attacks.....they are awful! However, it helps you learn how to be thankful for the good times and to learn how to lean on God more. More God, less anxiety....learning how to do this!
Today I moved into my very own house!
I am thankful that the LORD has blessed me with this generous gift....one I never expected!
Something I would have never thought I would have been thankful for is that my husband is graduating from seminary Dec 11th. It has been a long hard journey that we have been on for 4 years. We both are so ready to be a family without the responsibilities (stresses) of school. Now we are just praying for the direction God is leading us in after he is done.
Glad to hear you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
had to check in for two reasons:
1) My day isn't complete unless I have checked in at Siesta people. I dealry love your all.
2) Elf is on and I know Melissa is a fan and thought she might like to know.
Much love to my favorite Bible teacher.
Never thought I'd be thankful for this here internet! I mean, I'd been thankful for it in terms of research and schoolwork, but never DREAMED it would be such an encouragement in my faith and in knowing my sisters in Christ all over the world. He truly is the God of EVERYTHING!!
What a wonderful day you have had! I enjoyed reading every last detail. This is a neat challenge...Well, my husband and I will be starting as Pastors of a church in January...THAT has caught me by surprise. I never imagined we would do that, at least not this early in life! And honestly, can't quite figure why the Lord see's fit to allow us such an honor but He is so good, and for that, I am thankful. It's been a crazy year, one that has often left me thinking, WOAH that came out of left-field...but along the way, just resting (not always successfully, that's for sure!) in the fact that God orders our steps, and I can see how He worked this out in us all along... Very thankful for that "out of left field" opportunity.
Even though I hate that you have these current limitations, I'm thankful to have the opportunity to serve you in some of these small ways. You've done so much for me. I love you!
I'm grateful for morning sickness--it means we have another sweet little one on the way!!
This year I am grateful for God's AMAZING grace that carries us when we're too weak to walk ourselves.
I've always been a go-er & a do-er, but this year I can barely get myself out of bed, much less care for my family & fulfill my ministry responsibilities.
I love Jesus with all my heart & soul, and I am just so thankful for his faithfulness!
I am so very grateful to truly know my God will *never* leave me. And that I can not just survive, but THRIVE when all my "plans" for this year have fallen to pieces and a few unexpected, serious family issues arose. Praise him for growing me and showing me that living beyond myself is truly about Him living through me!
love to each of you,
rachel
I had baby #2 this summer and I was really dreading the first several months of his life. I had post partum depression with baby #1 so I expected to experience the same this time. But I've been so thankful for being able to enjoy his newborn stage. He's 5 months old now and it's going by so fast.
Beth:
I so understand the chronic pain of back problems as well as I have fibromyalgia and live with pain in some form on a daily basis. It has pressed me closer to my God's bossom. I am extremely grateful for that. Like Paul it is my thorne in my side.
What I am really grateful for that God has brought to me in the past few days that I wasnt sure was ever going to happen for me since I am 48 and counting. I have in the last 9 months, glory to God, have been able to stop people pleasing and just be myself. Be who God has intended me to be. I have watched my church family embrace me, love me, and value me for who I am, not what I think they think I should be. All I have ever wanted in my life is to be valued. It has been a source of personal pain for me to not feel as though I am. So God has truely blessed me with my hearts desire this week and I could never be more grateful in my life. He has truely blessed me with more than I will ever deserve. I am on my face with praise for Him and what he and Jesus have done for me.
I also was blessed to hear of your day and wish you a wonderful weekend before you must return back to work. I am so looking forward to reading your new book with all of the seistas that I am quivering all inside every time I think of it. Insecurity has been such a stronghold in my life. I guess it is time to set myself free. One more step in being what God wants me to be.
God Bless you my dear sister and I will say prayers for your back as I know how painful it can be. I also know how hard it is to slow down.
Something that hasn't caught me by surprise should be the question:)
I have had more than my little heart knows how to take in!
God's favor rocks my socks:)
I will say one thing that has really blessed my heart other than my siestaworld, is how God can use people that are so different in almost every aspect and show us something about ourselves that God wants us to see...its plain crazy.
Anyway, I just wanted to share that.
Love you all to pieces, and pieces, and pieces!
angie
Since you're asking what I never though I'd be grateful for this year, the answer is just about everything. I'll limit it to one. I lost my job this past May. I was pretty devastated, but not as badly as I would have been had I not read Believing God last year. I had been working so hard on trusting God through financial difficulties and then I and another family were laid off.
Over the past few months, it has become apparent that God was pushing me out of one position so that He could move me into a more suitable career. The temporary position I have now is a much better job, and there is the possibility that it will become permanent. Mostly, I am grateful for ways God has provided for my family this year, and for His gracious way of creating opportunity out of apparent disaster.
Anne
I enjoyed reading your post, because I am also in my sweats, in front of the TV, just finished leftovers, and my husband is at deer camp. Kids are spending the night at grandma's. Sweet peace!
Thankful for my husband, children, and our health. Never dreamed I'd have such a beautiful family.
See ya in Houston in Jan!
Monica
Bentonia, MS
Happy Thanksgiving, Beth--what a perfect day with your family! This year I'm especially grateful that, after moving every three years for the last 23 years, God has chosen to return us to my home state of Texas at last! My husband is already there, and I'll join him as soon as our house in GA sells. However, the biggest surprise has been that, despite a lousy real estate market and dire predictions of low-ball offers from friends and realtors, I feel a quiet peace as I wait. I have confidence and trust in God's plan and His perfect timing, so I find that I simply can't feel anxious. That is his gift to me, as well as several other lessons He's teaching me, during this period of waiting. And I'm so thankful for this incredible relationship that surpasses, yet blesses, all others!
I never dreamed I'd be so thankful to have my father as a dear friend. For way too many years we were way too distant and way to quiet with each other. God redeemed our relationship beyond my wildest imagination. Absolutely astoundingly way beyond my dreams. I dreamt for years of having a close relationship with him. Because of God's grace for me, for him, and for us together we have each other now. He's someone I can talk to about things I'd never talk to anyone else about. It stumps me beyond words to look at my fathers face and see God's love staring back at me because He brought us together again. Just beyond words. There was a time when my father was not only not good at being a father, but he did it all in the name of Jesus, if you know what I mean. I think you probably do. Not anymore, not anymore. Like I said, our relationship was completely redeemed and restored. I love my Dad so much. Thank you Jesus!
Oh Mrs. Beth- I've had a ruptured disc- the pain is worse than childbirth- I am soooo sorry for that, but so glad you had a wonderful holiday- there just isn't anything better on this earth than family. Happy Thanksgiving!
I am thankful for my ongoing divorce. Through it- and it has been so ugly and awful- I have begun to have what I think is just a glimpse of how truly BIG my God is. He is really showing off as He has taken over the role of husband and father in my house. I was 6 months pregnant with my third child when I found out about my husband's secret life of adultery throughout our marriage. I did not think I would live through it. Although I am often so tired I can barely even think, I also often think what an amazing life I have and am absolutely overwhelmed with God's blessings. (My "big kids" are 2 and 4 and my baby is 4 months) This morning God prompted me to get up for some quiet time with him at 5:30. I am SO not a morning person, even at 8am! But I was obedient and even confessed to him that I wouldn't do it for anyone else, not even myself to exercise!! And he was so wonderful and spoke so much to me of how much he cares for me and will fight for me and do amazing things as this divorce process gets uglier and more unimaginably awful. Then this was really cool- he even sent me back to bed after some time and all the kiddos slept late! How cool is our God?! So I have a life that I would not wish on anyone yet at the same time I would wish it for everyone that they could come to know my God as I have just begun to in the process. I even remember wondering why God did not give me the desire of my heart which was for a godly husband? But now I feel I am beginning to see- glory was truly at stake and he IS giving me the desires of my heart. What better husband could one want that the Lord?!?!?!
Love you , Beth and I always think of you when I read in Psalms that the godly people in this generation are my heroes. Sorry about your back- I have the same issues- find a good massage therapist, chiropractor and pain management doctor! That seems to be the combination that helps.
Jennifer in FL
cjennif1@hotmail.com
I started this year alone and being laid off from a great job. I was scared to death, but was able to let God carry me through that. He brought me to a new job, a new city, and to the man he knit together in his mother's womb to be my husband. We're getting married in March, praise God!! He has been so scandalous in His blessings for me and I am so grateful! Thanks for the opportunity to share!
Amy in TX
I certainly never expected a baby to be part of my Thanksgiving list this year, with two unmarried daughters. However, I'm to become a grandmother for the first time...my daughter chose life for her baby, and, PRAISE HIM, our lives will never be the same!
I'm grateful for people who have criticized me. Its forced me to get my affirmation and vision from God alone.
Jessica
Greensboro NC
I am thankful for my mom. I am thankful that despite her mental illness, she knows Jesus. I am thankful for what God has done in my life as a result of her and her challenges. None of it was fun, much of it was awful, but God was incredibly faithful throughout all He allowed us to endure. And at the age of 41, I can finally say I'm thankful for her impact on my life. I would have been a spiritual weakling without her.
Dearest Beth,
Thank you for sharing so much of your personal family life with us. It makes me feel like a long-distance best friend- thank you for that.
This year I am thankful that the Lord is working out my issues of unforgiveness towards my husbands ex-wife, and the mother of my now three beautiful step-children. I have fake forgiven her so many times, that I seriously wondered if I had it in me. Come to find out that I don't, but God sure has the strength to work this thing through in me. For the first time in five years I can look back and see how mucky that road has really been. How much joy has been taken from me...how bitter I was. And praise the LORD- I have peace, and freedom that can only be found in Jesus. When I feel like picking up that battle again-I remember that it is not my job to judge her or bring forth her punishment, but know that God will deal with her, and deal he will. I am praising God for all the little bumps and bends in our journey as a family this year, because around each bend and over each bump we have ALL learned to lean more and more on him. There is truly nothing that makes me feel more priviledged as a mother,than to watch my children grow in the Lord-I am so grateful for them and my husband.
Thank you Beth-for following God's calling on your life, and for making all of us be more real, truthful, women of the Lord. You help me to grow by bounds and leaps by making me face the darkness in my life and bring it into the light! I love you dear one!
In Him,
Andrea
Beth, I am thankful for the healing God is doing in me, and for the amazing women in my life. I am always surprised by the good that can come. "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good." Truth. We had a wonderful day with our kids and their families. I bless you today: May the Lord turn His face toward you and give you His peace.
I'm 58 and last month, I celebrated being cancer free for 30 years. Then almost to the day, I found out I now have breast cancer. It still hasn't sunk-in. I have weeks of radiation facing me, followed by cancer drug for 5 years. Seems like cancer is just not going to leave me alone. Saying all that to say..... everything today was "more" for me. More joy, more love, more fun, more conversation, more hugs, more delicious food. I could go on and on. What I'm most thankful for today is the richness of life that comes through suffering when you are a child of God. Thank you Jesus!
I am thankful that I was free from an anxiety attack today. I knew people were praying for me, and things that I had heard earlier this year came back to me this morning just when I needed it! Take it easy Mrs. Beth! We surely do love you!
I have learned that God really can be enough for me. More than enough. In the midst of horrible, heartbreaking circumstances, not of my own making, that my God can acutally make me happy. I can be satisfied. I can be content. I can... because HE is the one doing it. You have no idea how wonderful it is to be sustained by God until you have been broken and everything taken away. And there you are helpless and hopeless. And God reaches down, wraps you in his arms and lifts you up. Oh praise God. He is so good. So after months and months of struggle and of pain, my circumstance is the same, but I am not. I am resting in my Father. What a wonderful surpise to finally learn and trust. Our God is faithful. Amen!!
Right now, I am thankful that my right hip hurts so horribly I want to curl up in a ball and cry.
I've been resisting what I have truly felt God pressing on my heart in regards to changing my workout habits and the necessity of changing my diet. But in my ultimate resistance today, running when I know better than to have even thought to do so, I can say without a doubt I know just how Jacob felt. And with that lesson, I can only pray that I will be able to resist my flesh with His help and become obedient on this one.
I am thankful for the strength and energy that God gave me to cook and make it through this day. Having MS I don't always have the energy to make it through the day much less cook entertain. God blessed today I cooked most of the meal and served my extended family of 15.
I am also thankful that we were able to enjoy being together as a family and experience the gift of laughter even though our hearts were grieving over the homegoing of my dear sister in law.
Love
Linda
Lasy year at Christmas time, I had dinner at a friend's house and was struck by something hanging in their kitchen. It read, "Always, forever and no matter what." As someone still finding her way after a devasting divorce, it spoke to me. I just never
believed it would apply to me. This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for the unconditional love of a man who I happened to have met right about the time I saw that sign. Our relationship is is grounded in our love for God and each other, and we are enjoying life and looking forward to a wonderful future. Thank you Lord!
Because I am learning to be prayerful in all things, "with thanksgiving" I am thankful in the midst of this season of emotional and spiritual pain that I'm going through. Like an earlier commentor, I never thought I would be thankful for being a grandmother again from a daughter who is not married to the man she is having a baby with. I am mindful that the Lord sees the big picture and knows the end results so I am trusting Him more than I ever have. Thank You, in advance, Jesus, for working all things out.
P.S. What a great picture of you and your granddaughter, Beth! Blessed.
I am thankful for PERSPECTIVE that has come from suffering through a few hard days and trials. God is showing me such amazing lessons and I am taking new steps in my walk with him as He walks with me and teaches me. Amen. It is so wonderful the magnificent and amazing ways HE makes beauty from ashes. I wouldn't trade it.
Happy Thanksgiving, Moores!
Prayer Lady
Without a doubt....two baby girls that the Lord just dropped into my son and daughter-in-law's life three months ago. They are identical twins, 18 months old. And, did I say Precious??? Sixty-six years old and our first grandchildren. I never thought we would have any. And, then God gave us - not one- but two....how awesome is that. He did so much more than we could ever think or imagine and we are praising Him daily!
Beth,
It's 10:00 p.m. in Doswell and I just sat down to check the blog in hopes that I would find a post from you. Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving Day with me. My day was wonderful also and my heart is extremely full of gratitude right now to God for blessing me in countless ways.
Something I'm grateful for that I never thought I would be is going back to school to complete my college education in hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher. It's been twenty seven years since I obtained a two year degree from a local community college and in all the years since it's never crossed my mind to go back to school. God obviously had a different plan though and started working on me in June to do this. Since then I've received one affirmation after another from Him that I'm following His path for me in this season of my life, the clearest one came to me during the LPL Simulcast in August. I received my acceptance letter from Mary Baldwin College a couple of weeks ago and I will begin classes in January. I'm a little nervous to say the least about juggling school on top of my responsibilites as wife, mom, employee, etc. Let's not forget that it's been a very long time since I was in school. I've heard you say that God is faithful to us when we do the hard thing and since He's leading me to do this I know He will be faithful to see me through. I decided early on that I needed a Word to cling to and claimed two! Philippians 2:13, "It is God who is working in you, enabling you both to will and to act for His good purpose." Also, Philippians 4:13, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."
Thank you for your teaching, encouraging and sharing with me. I love you very much.
Kim
Doswell, VA
I am so thankful for life and God's faithfulness. I know my Redeemeer lives.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the Siestas!
Much Love in Christ,
Michelle in VT
I never dreamed I would ever own a mini van much less be thankful for it...but I find myself grateful for His provision through several times a day!!
My heart is so happy that NEXT WEEK I will get to see you in person in OKC! Many from our church are coming as a group - of 100 women! - ready to praise God and learn with you and Kay and Priscilla. What a time we will have! (And the great times will include two dear friends from high school - 14 years ago! - and my sweet and amazing mother-in-law. My MIL and I are convinced by the way, that you and your wonderful family would quite perfectly fit in to our family gatherings...however, we had such a good time once, we were actually called uncuth by a nearby patron. To. Our. Faces. And we were rather well-behaved THAT time! :) Love you Mama Beth! Happy Thanksgiving!
Beth,
What an intriguing thing to think about on this lovely Thanksgiving evening. Something I'm thankful for that I'd never dreamed I'd be thankful for, well I'd have to say it would be the immense pain that I have been in due to major knee surgery last November. I remember laying in my hospital bed at Mayo after surgery and told God that if He didn't sustain me, I didn't know if I'd make it, and then one hour turned in to two and two to three and then to today and He is still sustaining us. We have grown so much closer to Him through this trial and others we have faced this year. He is good all the time and all the time He is good. I don't know where in the blue blazes I'd be without Him!!
Hope you are feeling better soon ~~ have a Blessed evening,
Petrii in MO
I am interested in what Christian novel you are reading?
Love
Mandy
I am thankful for so much. Tears flow just so amazed and thankful for all that GOD has done! Its been a rough couple of years since the loss of some dear family members but I am so blessed and thankful for all that GOD has done. Tonight, I am thanking him just for who he is.. My redeemer, my everything. Just a grateful heart.
Love to all.
18 people gathered in our home today.
My relationship with my extended family is broken. They are not believers and don't enjoy being around us much anymore. I was hurt when I realized they were all gathering together this afternoon and hadn't invited my family along.
All this to say, I invited everyone who had no place to go. Friends who love the Lord and some who have yet to meet Him.
Our motley crew of thankful people was not what I thought I would be thankful for tonight. But, now, with all the dishes put away and my four children tucked into bed...
I am thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving Beth.
The lesson of frugality I am learning through financial challenges. God is great and has seen us through even when we weren't faithful (frugal...).
Tammy Elrod
Mechanicsville, VA
I am so thankful God called me to teach Community Bible Study this year!!
As hard as it has been, I truly have loved every minute of it!!... All the time spent studying, all the the time spent writing...
I. Am. So. Thankful.
Love you!
Teresa
Braden,TN
I am so thankful for NICU doctors and nurses who work tirelessly- even on Thanksgiving. I never expected to give birth just shy of 28 weeks, but I am so thankful for the technology and the people that have made survival possible for my son.
Happy Thanksgiving, too, sweet Beth! Oh, my dressing turned out perfect, too! My Pa-Paw would be so proud. Next year I'm adding a tad bit more sage though.
I'm thankful for the mission writing opportunities the Lord has blessed me with this year. Especially getting to interview your sweet daughter ... and even getting a picture taken with you for the article. That just blew me away! Just when I think it can't get any better, He blows me away. He's surely been so good to me this year.
Love, Shelli
thankful for a tough financial time in my family. although things have been more lean than we would have chosen, i see clearly how we have everything we need, plenty of what we want, and the rest doesn't matter as much as i thought.
I am grateful to be the mother of an only child. He is such a blessing and a joy. I have been grateful for him every second of his life. But I have felt so judged by other women for not having had more children. Some of the comments I've received have been incredibly hurtful. The fact is, I can't conceive again. But I have accepted it because Jesus has made it so clear to me that my child is enough and that I am a woman rich in blessing, lacking absolutely nothing. Praise Jesus!
--Dee Ann
I am thankful for so many things this year, but the one thing that has caught me off guard? .... hmmm .... possibly God's friendship with me. After losing my best friend 3 weeks ago, He has been so faithful to show me I have a friendship with Him like no other. He cares about my hurts and nudges me to get back up and get to work for Him. I love him so!
I am thankful that my husband lost his job as a VP of Marketing for Word Records 15 months ago. I am back at work full time now; we are at 35% of his salary, it has been so difficult. However, God has used this to refine us and create in my husband the spiritual leader of the house that he was meant to be. Plus, my workaholic man is now so close with our three sons (13,7,7). I prayed for that for so long. And I am thankful.
Just love You!! Thank you for EVERYthing you do for all of us...even just checking in after a FULL thanksgiving day.
My heart is overflowing this Thanksgiving and I am so glad you had so many of your loved ones with you.
Been praying for you as you endure your pain.
Charlotte
Atl, GA
Mama Beth - I love you just too stinkin much! Just too much! I am prayin for your back, I KNOW how much a back ache slows ya down. I am seriously on my knees for you.
As for what I am thankful for...
In April my husband and i were forced to file bancruptcy. We lost our "dream home" in the process. It was a VERY tough choice to make and we got there on our knees. Our greatest prayer was that we would Glorify God THROUGH it all - not just on the other side when all was "good" again, but each little baby step through the valley. I am so very thankful for His provision and His faithfulness. But then, I knew I would be.
What I did NOT expect to be thankful for is a small house. We left our big comfy house in April and moved into this tiny rental home. BUT - in this home I am able to plug the vaccuum in and do the WHOLE house (except the laundry room) in one sweep. I.LOVE.IT.
Now ... if it just had closet space.
I'm thankful for a wonderful Thanksgiving in Honduras, even though I'm not with family... :)
forgot to say what I had never dreamed I would be thankful for...Thankful that the Lord asked me to stop shopping for a season. Of course I am speaking of FUN shopping. He has revealed so much of the deep issues in my heart since asking me that small request. I am thankful though that He spoke because I am seeing things with better understanding of why they bother me and what I do about them.
Beth . . .
So many things that I struggle with I thank God because it has gotten me down on my knees searching for Him again and again! The death of my 18 yr old sister to a drunk driver; my relatives whom I want approval, but seem not to gain; my husband's job which has taken us through some very trying times this past year--but has grown my husband in the LORD so very much! I just finished the Psalms of Ascents Bible Study and--WOW--the blessing Beth prayed over us! Yes! May we buck like a bronco and get the dirt off of us and may we sow God's word into our lives with our tears when needed and may we look to the right and to the left and help a fellow sojourner . . . may we be blessed by God and be a blessing for Him! Happy Thanksgiving to you! Thank you for your transparency and humility! You have been a blessing:)
This year I'm thankful that my oldest daughter moved only 6 hours away rather than 10 or 12 hrs. -- or 2 days away. Six hours is bad enough, but I know it could be much worse so I am indeed grateful.
Enjoy your day of doing nothing tomorrow, Beth!
I am thankful for reconnecting with some old friends this year. I didn't even realize how much I had missed these women, but God knew.
I am so sorry to hear about your back problems. I have suffered with that myself. I had two back surgeries in 2007 for a herniated disc. And still the pain continues. I will be praying that you find relief.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
I'm so thankful that God really put His peace over our family this Thanksgiving. We had an unwelcome situation come up (we thought we'd worked it out perfectly to avoid--God had other ideas) and yet God blessed us and we had peace and a very pleasant time. God is so awesome!
I'm preparing everyone for a family study of the tabernacle (God's Dwelling Place), and I'm thankful for that also.
BLessings and hugs to all my fellow siestas!
September 12th my 9 year old son led my 4 year old daughter to Jesus! He was led to the Lord by his older brother and since then, he has prayed that God would allow him the privilege to lead his sister to faith in Jesus. Now, I'm not surprised that God would honor such a request. I simply stand in grateful amazement that it would happen this year.
My oldest son accepted Christ as a result of his 1st grade teacher teaching about the Lamb's Book of Life. He began explaining what he knew to his younger brother each night as they fell asleep and a week later he led his kindergarten aged brother in a prayer of forgiveness and salvation. (Best reason for having children share a room!)
Today as my family gathered around the harvest table we held hands and each shared what we are thankful for. My response is how thankful I am that God would choose my family...each one of us!...to be His bride.
So grateful!
A year ago, our Thanksgiving brought many tears after a painful breakup for one of my daughters. Here we are, a year later and we sat down together at the table with 2 new family members- my daughter's fiance and her baby boy. This has been a difficult year. This gift of life was preceded by months of heart break...my daughter is an un-wed mother. But today, this sweet new gift from God, his daddy and his mommy sat at our table as a family. Would I have guessed that I would have been truly thankful even a few weeks ago? No. But I am. I don't know if they will marry, but today?...Today we were a family. And for this I thank my loving Heavenly Father!
I'm so grateful for being laid off. What a surprise! But I've enjoyed this year's time off so much. God is providing the rest that I've been praying for so long. And He is providing financially, even if it is tight.
Love,
Joy
My heart and mind have been taken by storm by the LORD in 09. Scripture Memory has been the most incredible enrichment of my faith and prayer life. The Lord is faithful...He is faithful. I love you and your girls, Beth. I will pray for your back pain.
Jackie Tabor
I can't believe that I'm writing this, but man alive your question came at the right time.
Yesterday, finishing up my last day of Esther homework, God revealed something MAJOR to me.
Many, many, many years ago, my husband was unfaithful to me (in our dating yrs). Not sex, but unfaithful nonetheless. We've healed, moved on, etc.
Oh my I have to shorten this story...in a few words, God showed me that it has been His Will that my hubby and I are together. And that awful time in the past was the enemy's attack against His Will. And as much as I wanted to end that relationship (and probably would have counseled someone else in my shoes to do so!), God said 'NO!'.
So here we are, 19 yrs and 5 children later, and I'll tell you that the enemy did not win and that I am married to the. most. faithful. man. I. know.
And so today, crazy as this is, my heart is overflowing with GRATITUDE for what happened on that day long ago. A battle was waged. And my King kept my prince and me together.
Thank you my Father!
A Canadian gal
I'm thankful for my dad. We have never been close in my life, but God had done so much in him in the past several years I really see Jesus like never before. I have an awesome family - husband, children and grandchildren, but my dad has taken me by surprise with his kind, loving and generous heart. I am truely blessed. Thank you Jesus!
I am ashamed to admit that my husband and I just had the biggest pity party known to mankind. On Thanksgiving night. Can you believe that? I started it. I drug him into the pit with me. (BTW, I gave him heck the year he bought me "Get Out of That Pit" for Mother's Day. I couldn't believe he would imply I was in a pit and do it on Mother's Day!!! Obviously it was prophetic of this night. :)
Anyway, thank you for this question. I have so much to be thankful for that it is scandalous that my Father puts up with my self-pitying self for a second. The truth is, He has been dealing with me a lot about a lot of things in my life that need to be worked on and I never knew I would say this, but I am thankful for his discipline and His correction. I am so thankful that He loves me enough to do away with those things in me that have no part in Him.
So sorry about your back. Hope you are back to toting Jackson around real soon!!
We will be driving our daughter to O'Hare Airport on Saturday so she can return to Houston. She took a teaching job there over the summer.
I never thought I would be glad or could rejoice that she is so far away. Now I know that God's plan was to take her to Houston to teach her who He is; she has recently started the study of "Esther" and my heart is so grateful. As I send her off I know tears will well up in my eyes but under my breath I will be whispering
"thank you Jesus"!.
My husband and I had no idea this time last year that the Lord was at work in building our family. Our son was born on Dec.12, 2008 in Taiwan last year and we had no idea until this April when we applied to adopt from Ethiopia. We were accepted into the program, but a week later we were sent an email asking if we might consider adopting "this little guy" who is now OUR little guy!! What a blessed Thanksgiving this has been! We can't wait to see what the Lord has up His sleeve next!!
I say this lightly because it goes back and forth (even though I long for a consistenly content heart, I fail more often than not, just being honest), but I'm thankful for my singleness. Being 24 and never having been on one date or no boyfriend, I'm constantly reminded that God is up to something bigger than me. That isn't too common these days! I'm thankful for that because it reminds me that if He's making me wait, something bigger is at stake. His Glory, to be specific. And it also reminds me of what you told us at Converge last year, and I quote, "Blessed are you when what comes naturally to others comes supernaturally to you." I never thought a date was supernatural, but apparently for me, it is. And for that, I am surprisingly thankful.
Happy, Happy Thanksgiving!
Love,
Lindsee
I am amazed that I am actually grateful for a horrible incident between my father and me at my mother's funeral 8 yrs. ago. It forced me to face some buried feelings of hatred I had stuffed inside for him and through counseling, prayers, and obedience God enabled me to honor, respect,love and care about him. He died in January and the last two years of his life were the best years I ever had with him. So many blessings from forgiveness and believing Him to restore all the years the locusts had eaten!
I can't believe I am saying this, but I am glad my husband lost his job last May! We moved a couple of months later to a new job 800 miles away, but the whole thing has been as wonderful as it has been hard. My husband, who is so loyal he would never quit a job, loves his new career. And it has been a wonderful opportunity to see how my teenagers are doing spiritually as they have had to deal with all of this....they are all passing with flying colors! It was hard not being with family today, but God gave us a great day with new friends and I am so thankful.
I am glad you had a great day. Now kick back and enjoy your book. You deserve it!
Beth, as I sit here crying over everyones comments, (I am just like that) I am thankful that this year my Mamaw went home to be with the Lord. She had alzheimers and had been suffering for more than 7 years. Watching her go through that was the hardest thing for all of our family. Even though I miss her I am peaceful because she is not longer hurting. Because of money and time constraints, we elected to stay at our own home instead of traveling to be with the big family. Even though I missed them I am so thankful we did. We had the best time together, laughing and enjoying each other. So thankful for that time.
Beth,
Absolutely the one thing this year that has caught me by surprise and would have never come to past if I had a full-time job and if I had not looked at the seriousness of my debt and that is NOT DRINKING SINCE MAY 27TH! My 6-month sobriety is the 28th (already told you this...:)
Though I do need a JOB and even if it means Starbucks or James Avery or Crave Cupcake or whatever I will do it. Course I want graphic design work...arrh:(
But, if I had been working full-time since Jan I would have never considered to stop drinking nor how I spent my money. The fact that several people notice the difference in my appearance, my eyes are clearer, my ability to communicate better and not bouncing all around is enough to keep me straight. I really want a clear head. I also notice that in memorizing scriptures that was started in Jan has been incredible easy and not a struggle to memorize. It once was a tug-a-war to remember. w/o the drink it is really a breeze. Yep. It is good and I am greatful to be free from that entanglement.
your always,
Allison
In doing the Esther study this fall, I had to face what was the thing that I most lived in fear of. I am the keeper of the books for my church and take this job to my heart. I mean after all, it is all the Lord's money and not just the 10%. My ultimate fear was that my computer would crash. I'm not terribly computer savy with the technology aspect and with budget cuts we do not have a tech person. So you guessed it, one week before Thanksgiving a virus hit my system. Bad nasty thing that laughed at my virus protection. It has been a week where I had to face it. And with your words from Esther ringing in my heart, I did. I praised God pretty much all week, knowing that He would bring it to good. And He did. Computer is healed, fear is gone. Man, did I learn alot about my system, myself and my God...all from a nasty virus. I also thank you for the Esther Study. It was another life changer that I never saw coming.
I am thankful that I do not take good health for granted anymore. I am 34 and have been very ill this last 6 months, with no clues or answers to what is wrong with me.I never really thought about being sick almost ever. Now on my "good" days I take full advantage of every moment possible. I have had a lot of loss and heartache in the past two years and I know that HE has been with me every single step of the way. I am not alone and I am so richly blessed.
Thanks for sharing your day....Grateful for, which I never thought I would be....my son-in-law. I have known him for a lifetime, he was my sons best friend and roommate in college...and always in love with Greg's little sister...I just never wanted him for my son-in-law-..Boy was I wrong and I am so glad...Now almost three years later, I would not trade him for anyone...Boys do grow up...and wild boys can change and become incredible husbands and fathers...God is so good.....praying that you are well soon....I decorate homes for Christmas and we have 68 houses this year...we are over the half way mark...and wow does my back feel it...the heating pad is my dear friend. Love you so much.
Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I am so glad.
I, too, had a wonderful day, but it was not without it's challenges. Satan has really been attacking ALOT lately, but I said, "I'm not giving up! I'm still praising the LORD!"
I never thought I would be saying that I am thankful to be free from the stronghold of rejection!!!! I went through the Breaking Free Bible Study this summer and was DELIVERED!!!! I am, also, thankful for you, Beth. God has and is using you in a mighty way!!!
Also, this fall I went through the Patriarchs Bible Study and God has used it to take me on an awesome journey that is only just beginning. As a result, I have been through some tough trials and am thankful! The world would not understand this, but I know you do.
One more thing, please tell Keith that there are not adequate words to express how much it means to me and comforts me to know that he is praying for me because I do not have a man in my life to pray over me. (My ex-husband was very abusive and we are now divorced for about 9 years.) Thank you for sharing him with me and so many others in the same boat. THANK YOU!! Now, I truly never thought I would be saying thank you for that! Who would have imagined? GOD would have and did!!!
Love,
Cindy
OH! Believe me, I understand that back pain! I've had to make some adjustments to my daily life. Can pray for you specifically on that one.
I'm grateful for changes that I didn't want but are helping me stretch and trust God more daily. I'm better understanding my growing personal relationship with Christ on a daily basis.
Thank you for making me think about this. Interesting.
Happy Thanksgiving
~Lynnette in Houston
.
Thank you so much for sharing your day with us! I am so happy that you were able to pack your house full of people and spend all that time together!
The thing that I am most thankful for this year was my car wreck back in January. Not a typical thing I know, but none the less it has had the most influence on me this year and what I hope will be the rest of my life. I truly believe that God used that wreck and the concussion that came with it to get my attention. I was at a pretty low time when I had that wreck and the closest I had ever been to rock bottom. I was depressed and not in church or in the word at all. I would go to church and play the role I had played all my life, but it was just the character I was playing, not what I was really living. Once I had that wreck and I realized from the minute I pulled my head back from the steering wheel how faithful God is, I knew things had to change. I wasn't buckled and the airbag didn't deploy and it was a pretty hard hit but all I had was a bump on my head. God was there and protected me from so much, that there was nothing else to say except that God was with me. At that moment I decided to change things and start letting go and letting God. To stop trying to be in control of everything and let Him do His thing. It's been hard, scary and nerve wracking at time but also one of the most amazing rides of my life! I would not trade this past year for anything. God has taught me soo much and I've learned a lot about Him and how He wants to our relationship to go.
It's been an amazing year and it started with a wreck that totaled my car. A wreck that I'm so thankful for.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all of your sweet family!
Love you lots!
Nikki
I'm so surprised to be 26 weeks pregnant. There are not enough words to express how thankful I am for that! After four losses in 2.5 years, my husband and I were dumbstruck when we found out we were expecting again. Today, our baby girl, Abigail, is kicking away in my tummy and I cannot tell you what tears of joy that brings to me. Our God is so faithful, His timing is so right, and He is always in control! Praise Him!
A year ago, God closed (slammed?) the door to an area of ministry and I thought He was just done with me. But this year He opened up avenues that I never expected, and I didn't expect to like :), but He has blessed me beyond words through it all.
Also, I thought the "death" of a friendship would break me, but now I'm thankful for it, because nothing has driven me to seek Him like that has. It has been quite a year, and I could not have made it through without His living and active Word in the scripture memory team. Oh, thank You, Lord!
A couple of my Facebook status updates lately have been "You know.... sometimes stuff in life stinks big time." And "Life is hard. God is faithful." I have actually found myself being thankful for those hard times. I know God is breaking me and molding me to be who he wants me to be. Being who HE wants me to be is sooo much better than being who I want to be. Who I want to be isn't a healthy person.
Grateful for post-retirement employment teaching a GED Prep class. Very rewarding.
I'm thankful for the surprising way God has answered my plea for change, by inspiring friends to spur me on and help me in what will be a long battle. And truly, I am thankful for all the pics of Annabeth. I am not a mom, not even married, at 43, although I wanted both, and I don't often drool over pics of other people's kids. But Annabeth's pictures just make me smile. Love the one of you and her on Thanksgiving. Please keep sharing her because her little face just makes me happy.
I'm very surprisingly thankful that my 2nd baby girl doesn't sleep through the night as well as my first baby girl did. I have actually come to cherish that sweet middle-of-the-night time with her. I suppose I just assumed the second would be just like the first, but she's not at all, and I'm so thankful for that. I love seeing their different personalities shine through. :)
I'm sorry about your disc. I had the same trouble several years back. Physical Therapy in a warm pool turned it around for me. Check into it, if you haven't already. Praying for you that the pain will be gone.
What a lovely day you had - thanks for blogging about it all !
I'm thankful for the steadfast love of the Lord that never ceases, no matter what is happening around us, or where we are (in my case, across an ocean from my family).
Bankruptcy. Really am....hardest thing of my life and one of the best. Thank you, Jesus.
Love you, Beth, and do you know what? I'm dying to know what you are reading!
BTW, my brother cancelled coming to visit. Don't know if anyone saw my request or prayed, but it really WAS an answer to prayer. So thank you!
Praying for you and your family with joy!!
Good question . . . this past year we have found ourselves living on a farm . . . I would have NEVER seen this coming in my life, but I'm thankful because though it wasn't my plan I'm so thankful God has a plan of his own adn this living arrangment is what is giving my husband the opportunity to go to seminary after years of ministry.
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Hi Beth...so good to hear how your Thanksgiving went with your sweet family! So glad that you enjoyed it and I'm praying for a fast healing of your back. I know how badly that hurts.
The thing that I am thankful for at this very moment is a house that could possibly be in foreclosure. This is forcing me to move closer to my work and church and I've been praying about it for far too long without stepping out. It's like God is saying to me "Ok Bethany, here we go...you're gonna have to step out of that comfortable boat and get into the water with me"
I'm scared but I'm not gonna sink. Gonna walk on water with my precious Lord. Looking forward to the year ahead and what God will do in my life.
So thankful for you today mama siesta!
Thanking God He blessed me to be born an American. This Thanksgiving I am so grateful to Him for everything He has blessed me with and, most importantly, everything He HASN'T given me.
i am grateful that every single night while he sleeps, i can lay hands on my husband and pray that God will save him. i am grateful that i have a God who hears me when i pray.
jackie
platte city, MO
Happy Thanksgiving! The thing that I am thankful for this year is the tremendous amounts of healing God has been doing in my life from past hurts, especially this week. I'm not very open about a lot of my past hurts, but God brought me to the place where I was able to open up about them to my pastor, and doing so has helped me so much! And the timing of yesterday's post was just perfect! I will definitely be joining all of you on here to go through the book! God is doing some major, unexpected healing in my life right now, and I am so grateful!!! Beth, God has definitely used you as a part of it, too!
I pray that God heals your herniated disc quickly! I've got a hernia right now, and I'm not enjoying those limitations either! God bless!
Amazingly, I am thankful that even in much sorrow, there is still peace and joy that knowing God brings... I lost my Mom on 11/20/09. just a few short days ago. But God delivered some much needed peace to our family
delilah
berryville ar
Happy Thanksgiving Beth. Thank you for sharing your day!
I am grateful my husband was able to retire last January. It was so out of the blue as we did not plan on it for about three more years.
It has been wonderful spending time with him this year and he is loving it. He has worked hard all his life and I love watching him enjoying this season of life.
You see Beth he loves to hunt (and fish)too and I am fortunate to be able to go with him. I laugh when you talk about Keith and deer hunting because I love your perspective but I understand Keith as I like to hunt (and fish) too.
I never dreamed, after a painful and disastrous 20-year marriage, that I'd ever want to love or be loved again. Yet this year, I became a bride (at age 50)and my entire life is upside down - becoming an army wife, a chaplain's wife and a long-distance mom to my wonderful 20-year-old daughter. God gave me the strength to do all the things I thought I could never do. I am humbled and blissful.
Beth, I've had bad discs for over 10 years. I am praying for you - it's no fun to be stopped by that pain. I know it well.
So thankful for this Siestaland!
A few things come to mind, but I'll say I'm thankful for our new beautiful home. A year ago, I would have NEVER thought it would have been a possibility. But God worked out the details and now I have a beeauuutiiifuuul deck on which I get meet with Jesus every morning.
Happy Thanksgiving, Beth! I dearly love you!
my new husbend.
i had no idea last year at this time that come February i would meet my future husbend and then marry him in June :)
What am I thankful for, that I never expected I'd be? I'm thankful for health issues that have forced me to live a slower, more contemplative lifestyle. I have TIME to pray, to read, to listen. Women come to my home and say "it's so quiet here; like a sanctuary." They can sit by the fire, pet the dog or cat, have coffee, and just "be" for a bit.
Beth, I do pray for you while you deal with this back pain. I had to have surgery for a ruptured disk in my back in Sept. -- the pain was horrendous! My husband (the copycat) had back surgery for a ruptured disk just 2 weeks ago. After 30 years, do we really have to do everything together???
Happy Thanksgiving
Bev
I'm thankful for The Word. I'm thankful for I Samuel 1:27...I clung to that verse for over 3 years and now here I am, it's 3am and I'm feeding my very own baby girl! God answered my prayers and gave me the wonderful gift of being a mommy!
One unusual thing I was grateful for this year? Washing towels. I'm no fan of the laundry - but since I knew we'd have family living with us for part of the summer, just for fun we kept track of how many towels we washed, dried, folded and put away (alright, not all of them were folded and put away before they were used again) between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
478. That's how many. (Can you hear the slight little bit of smug come through on this post?)
Maybe if I worked in the laundry room of the local Marriott, 478 wouldn't be that big a deal. But it was to me. It meant lots of little ones - and not a few big ones - were traipsing through my house, the hot tub, the lake, the sprinklers, and my heart.
I was so thankful. For healthy, happy kids, nephews, nieces, friends; and it took a boatload of towels to help me realize it.
Warm in Alaska.
I am thankful this year that even though I spent the first 35 years of my life working hard so that I could move from the very poor area I was born, the Lord has placed in my heart a desire to serve the people of the area I was so keen to leave. God willing I will be doing that full time for him from next year.
It is ironic to me that he has reversed my destiny so completely -and at a time when I was facilitating an Esther bible study too ;-)
Thank you for sharing about your family's day! Since I'm very, very far from my family, it made me smile.
I never thought I would be thankful that I did *not* receive any major grants to do my dissertation research in Spain this year. Since my mom fighting terminal breast cancer, I would not have been able to be with her at all had I received the grants I need. I'm heading home next week because I don't want to be away from her.
I still don't know how I'm ever going to pay to do the rest of my research, but for now, I'm thankful that I can pick up and head back to the US to spend the Christmas holiday with her and my dad.
I am thankful for my marriage! I married my high school sweetheart right after high school. It's been 20 years (I'm only 38) and by year ten I wasn't sure we'd make it. I am so grateful to God, every day, that He restored our brokeness and redeemed our marriage and that it could really be like Heaven on Earth. I am married to my best friend! Thank you Jesus!
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in my country but I'm really thankful for this blog community.
My husband and I recently moved from South Africa to London and we're still trying to find a church community. I really miss the fellowship but reading your blog makes me feel a part of a bigger family.
Well, it will sound odd maybe. But I am thankful for the turmoil in my house. I will become a single mom again in a couple weeks when the father of my children moves out--long story I wont go into. But why am I thankful for this, something that is so disruptive to the lives of us all. Well...because I am learning through this whole experience (2years worth of learning) that God is right here, He is in control, He is watching me, He loves me even though I decided I could not continue to keep trying to repair this disaster of a relationship--He wont give up on me.
So my Thanksgiving was hard, it was my kids and I. We have no family here, but I have friends at church who love us and I am letting them love me--something new for me to do also. But I have the most amazing kids who argued who was going to pray at dinner last night, and my 10 year old asked God to help her Mom & Dad get along as we go through this time of transition and divorce! I love her!
Lisa
I'm so sorry to hear of your back. Praying for quick and complete healing.
Thing I'm thankful for and never thought I would be....HARD talks with my husband. They wear you out..but then you feel refreshed because things got talked through.
Blessings,
Melana
So glad that you had a wonderful day. We did too. My Family is out of the country, so we had some fellow missionaries. It was great.
Although many cannot fathom it, I am not a baby person. We had two and stopped for 10 years. But God worked on my heart, and gave us a baby, a baby girl a bit older than your Annabeth. Having her has been so wonderful! I am so thankful for her! And hanving her has helped me have a better relationship with my older ones. I am so thankful for them, in a way I never was before. There, its a thanksgiving and a confession!
Today however, we must workout! We must sweat! We must burn off a bit of what we gobbled up yesterday!
Blessings,
I am thankful for what God is teaching me... that is is omnipotent and has a great plan for me to know Him and for me to become more and more like Him. For His matchless love.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Just reading the question made me cry. I got to share my story of what our God did for my family. Me? Dyslexic, can't remember a single rule of ELA and somewhat ADD...me. What a scandal. That He would even ask me just makes me cry. I am no CS Lewis, but I am so humbled by it.
Beth,
I am so sorry to hear about your back. That is wayyyyy painful and I pray it heals soon.
Thankful for you and other godly Bible teachers under whom I have learned so much.
Leah
Please share your recipes!!!
Beth,
I am so glad to hear that you had an amazing Thanksgiving this year. Sorry to hear about your back as mine has been jacked-up for quit some time now. I pray that you will heal quickly and completly.
You ask what I am grateful for and it comes with a bitter-sweet answer. I just got back in town Monday evening from a 5 week trip out of the country. My mother has been in a nursing home for 2 years and she suffering with Alzheiners.
As each week passed her quality of life deminished until she could barely eat or speak. I went to see her on Tuesday and she was very bad and the staff though that it would be just a few weeks. It was just torture for my mom and the family. We had been praying that the Lord would take her home for months and it was as though she was waiting for me to return and hold her hand and kiss her goodbye. She went to be with the Lord peacefully as she slept early Thursday morning.
It is such a blessing to know that she is in the hands of the Almighty Creator and she is renewed and restored and at peace. Praise God for His Faithfullness!!
I never knew that I would be so grateful for the challenge and the encouragement (and success!) at Scripture memory. Although I've been a Christian for years, truly meditating on Scripture that God has then put back in my mind through numerous situations and challenges has been a blessing that I never truly understood before. What a gracious and faithful God!
The chance to go through the loss of a dear friend with my daughter. The faith that was grown, renewed and shared was such a blessing. Iron does sharpen iron and one true Christian reaching out can touch so many many lives...thank you
lynn
Thank you for thinking of us on this very busy day.......
My day sounded similar, but I didn't cook a ham as well as a turkey. Just the turkey.
Whew!! One holiday done, the next fast approaching!!
Take it easy the rest of this weekend.....Will pray for your back and that you get LOTS of needed rest!! Enjoy your family while they are close......
Blessings abundantly....
Bible Bunny in NO MI
I'm grateful for a move we made this year...I didn't want to go and it has been an adjustment but God amazes in the way He grows us.
Your day sounds wonderful...ours was the same. Can't wait to attend my first LPM event in April...I'm treating my mother who is turning 80 and she adores your Bible Studies too. It's a surprise I got her for Christmas...hope I don't spill the beans before then!
Praying for your back to heal...that is miserable I know.
The thing that I am most surprisingly thankful for this year is change. This has been a year of change for me and my family, and the changes have been both internal and external. I have had to change myself and my view of the relationship Jesus and I share.
I haven't always welcomed change, and at times I hated the way that it had to come, but now that I'm on the other side, I can look back and be grateful of the outcome.
-Diane
I never ever thought I'd be thankful for desperation, for heartache, for pain. But it's only those things that have deepened my love for Jesus and made him more of everything to me.
Somehow I've always had to learn lessons the hard way--just ask my mama.
I am thankful for this season I am in-don't know if it is menopause or if God just turned my way and is making me deal with some issues that I have been avoiding and dreading. I am thankful that HE is not through with me yet! I am afraid but uplifted by HIM for the challenges ahead. I thank Him and praise Him for sticking by me and loving me enough to open my eyes so I may see. Thank you for this blog. It is an inspiration and like a fresh cup of coffee early in the morning-energizing!
Hi Beth, I am so sorry to hear about your back! We will pray for relief and healing.
I am so thankful for this season of my life and a new church home. I slipped into Bible College this year at almost a half a century old and am shocked and energized by how Christ Jesus is speaking. I am knowck down crazy dizzyly (?) rejoicing in this season of life. I quote you all the time that it is not enough for me to be free I want everyone to know this freedom. He is breaking down strongholds that I did not know I had. MORE OF HIM YES I AM THANKFUL FOR THAT! Oh my daughter started back to church this year WOOOHHOOOO!
In the Beloved, waiting for the adoption,maranatha, maranatha, maranatha,
Anastasia
I am thankful for my husband's diagnosis with a potentially devastating disease. God has used this scary diagnosis to make our marriage stronger than ever and caused us to have a renewed commitment to each other. His ways are indeed higher than my ways!
Strangest thing in the last few months of 2009 my heart has been stirred to be thankful for all the saints I know and some I have just heard about who have kept the faith and been faithful witnesses even though their prayer requests were answered No. Whether it was health issues, financial, heartbreak, or whatever, they still believe. ! I am so grateful to them.
God IS so GOOD! A second generation cousin of mine, his beautiful wife and darling daughter (the same age as mine, 4). Joined our church this past year! Praise God the girls are in Sunday School together and they are also participating in other activities with each other as well. Swells my heart up when I think about it.
My great grandmother died when my grandfather and his siblings were very young. My cousin, (our grandfathers were brothers), was cleaning out his grandparent's old home place and came across a box with things my great grandmother had collected until her death in 1922. There were post cards, some written to her by our great grandfather when he was courting her, pictures, report cards, valentines.... I never dreamed this box existed and what a blessing from the Lord to have actually been able to get a glimpse of what her life must have been like. A very sweet gift from the Lord.
I had just read II Sam. 7:17-29 where David is overwhelmingly thankful to God. This blog just "fit in" perfectly.
I am thankful for my husband. We have had a pretty rough year and after seventeen years of ups nad downs, I thought we were gping to live in a slump for the rest of our marriage. Anyway, NOT SO, praise the Lord...I am thankful for him again.
that's an easy one...
a spiral of notcards!
I am so thankful that God sees fit not to leave me in my comfort zone. I never thought I would be saying that. I am a person who likes to be in my comfort zone, but not anymore. I am thankful that He is teaching me so much.
Sweet Mama Beth,
thank you for giving us a glimpse of your Thanksgiving - your narrative skills are such that you've transported me right into your living room.
and now, forgive me for the brief but truly heart-felt shout of thanks-giving:
I'D NEVER DREAMED I COULD BE IN THIS SITUATION, RIGHT HERE AND NOW, TO THANK YOU, LORD, FOR NEVER, EVER GIVING UP ON ME! I THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME ANOTHER CHANCE, EACH DAY THAT I RISE, TO BE IN COMMUNION WITH YOU NOTWITHSTANDING THE ABSOLUTE WRETCHED CHOICES I MADE THROUGHOUT MY LIFE -- AND STILL MAKE! SO.. THANK YOU FOR EMBRACING THIS PRODIGAL DAUGHTER OF YOURS NOTWITHSTANDING HER!!!!! :)
... I love you, Beth, and can't wait to see you in Houston!
maria
Beth, thank you so much for sharing your family Thanksgiving with us...kinda makes us feel like family...of course, we are in the spiritual sense. In another comment I mentioned that my husband, step-son and I would be having Thanksgiving dinner with friends at a restaurant. I guess my unexpected blessing is that there was no kitchen to clean or carpet to vacum....but, no leftovers...miss those!! We had a wonderful time with the friends (that are like family) and then most of the men headed to Lake Amistad to fish for the weekend. NOW, today, my dear husband & step-son are taking us to San Antonio for the weekend to SHOP! Can't beat a blessing like that! Have a wonderful, blessed weekend and I will be praying for your back problems...they can be a real...well, pain :-)Oh, I forgot...I love Christian fiction..could you post what you are reading? One of my favorite authors is Terri Blackstock. Love to all you of you...
After almost eighteen years of employment with the same company, my husband is in the middle of a very difficult (and painful) job transition. As scary as it all is, I found myself praying a prayer of thanks to God for the new the levels of faith that He is requiring us to have. I just keep rehearsing (as I've been taught by a certain favorite teacher) all of the ways Jesus has been faithful to us over the years. I know He will continue to be so now. He is so worthy of our praise.
Beth,
I'm thankful that your family loves one another, deeply.
I'm going to give two, 1. To be retired and enjoy retirement with my husband. I'm not young, nor am I any where near retirement, so an incredible blessing for sure.
2. That a precious 5 year old litle girl captured my heart and I hers and she specifically asked her parents to invite me to her birthday party. Only been around this precious little one a few short months. She is amazing! This girl at 4 years of age, would have her parents bring her to church on Sunday and Wednesdays. She walks through the doors on her own and her parents return home. AND SHE IS LOVED AND LOVEABLE. Amazing, simply a HUGE HUGE GOD.
Lovingly,
Yolanda
I'm thankful for someone special encouraging me to memorize 24 Scriptures this year. I am blessed by it every single day (and especially at 3:00 in the morning when I can't sleep)! There was a time in my life that I wouldn't ever have imagined owning a Bible let alone trying to memorize it! SO thankful!
Thank you for your obedience!
Love you,
Angie xoxo
I loved reading about your day too. Thanks for sharing your life with us!
Well... this is a hard one to put into words. I am a mommy of three small boys: 5,3, and 1. When I found out my third was a boy, of course I was thrilled to be having another healthy sweet baby, but I never really imagined having THREE BOYS. :) I was overwhelmed at the thought of how busy and hard they would be, etc. I also longed for a daughter at the time, so (even though it's hard to admit) I went through a little grieving period.
Anyway.... I truly have been surprised this year and a half to feel blessed beyond my wildest dreams with these three precious boys. God has met my heart and has made me feel like I am the lucky one to have three of the same gender, maybe the tougher of the two genders at this age. ;) They are the sweetest things I've ever known... so much FUN, hilarious, just precious. My cup overflows everyday...
He has also taught me so much that His ways are truly better than our ways, even if we don't understand or it takes time to understand, that He is sovereign and we can TRUST Him. Every once in awhile I still look at sweet little girls (or even grown mommas and their daughters!) and want one :)... but I can say I trust God more than ever now, and am content and THANKFUL in how He has blessed us.
We have been praying about having another... and I can say, if God gives us another little man, I will sincerely be thrilled and trust that God knows our family and knew before time who He wanted in it!
I am more grateful for my family than ever. Have always been thankful for them, but this year it was overwhelming gratefulness to God for every single aspect of them. And seeing God work in all of our lives knowing that He will complete the good work He began in each of us - according to His perfect plan.
God Bless you -
Kim
Just one thing? I am soooo grateful for free downloads on my laptop. My husband and I bought us a laptop for Christmas last year and now when I am doing laundry, cooking, scrubbing the bathroom from top to bottom or just sitting out on the back porch, I can listen to John Piper, Kay Arthur, David Jeremiah, etc. What a TREMENDOUS blessing. I try to purchase materials, Bible studies, DVDs, books as I can but what a difference it has made in my life this past year to listen everyday as much as possible. And Beth, I cherish your Bible studies. I pray you NEVER retire from writing Bible studies. I love you so much. I am so grateful for all who share the Word of God with us.
Angie G
My thanksgiving was grand! My cornbread dressing was so good everyone wanted the recipe. I hit the ground running at 7 am yesterday and didn't stop until 10:30 last night...straight to bed.
It was a beautiful feast and we all were so happy to come together.
One thing I'm surprisingly thankful for?
Hard times. They just bring me straight to Jesus. And there's always His Presence to look for during the trial. He is amazing...
I HATE that about your disc!
Father in heaven, release Your healing power over Beth and restore her health. Teach her something precious through this time. Let her faith touch someone she meets because of this pain who needs Jesus. In Jesus Name. Amen.
There has been one particular issue that I have struggled with for the past few years. It's been very hard, and it's hurt a lot. Still, as I look back, I can see the ways He's used it to draw me closer to Him. I was reading through my old journals last night, and crying just because He's been so faithful to me and has never let me go once through the whole thing. He is so good!
Beth,
Your Thanksgiving sounded about like mine. Just nice and busy, laughing and talking.
I am most thankful for my salvation and the grace afforded me by my wonderful Father.
Lawan
Phil 4:8
I am very thankful for a promotion my husband got this year. I prayed specifically for it but it was more of a long term prayer...like maybe someday. This position will be so much easier on him physically and I thank God for awnsering that prayer in such a big way. Thank you for sharing with us about your holiday!
Dear Beth, I am praying for your recovery with your disk. You are so precious to us!
God really surprised me with a new BFF- my son's mother-in-law! This relationship has meant so much to me. I am so grateful for a close, dear relationship with my daughter-in-law, too, but it seems a bit out-of-the-ordinary to be blessed with a wonderful friendship (and kinship) with her mother!
My own dear sister and I have become incredibly close- almost like twins- over the past year. She is 2 years younger and it too us many years to get here, but once we had our Faith to bind us together as older adults, the relationship took off!!! We lost our Mama 3 years ago, and now we are Mama, Sister, Friend to one another is the best kind of way!
God is so good in so many ways that I am having to restrain myself to work toward signing this post!
Lovingly,
Fran
A grateful heart because of, but not limited to:
Moving to Houston...the opportunity to serve & care for seniors who are not at the "top of their game" (I'm a nurse)...still, quiet mornings...Autumn...grad school (that which does not kill us only makes us stronger!)...that cute little bird that perched on my car window with his "punk" feathers on top of his head looking at me like, "Oh hi there!"...the fresh turkey we found at Fiesta "Yum!"...the fact that our children are all healthy and happy...that our son is coming home from Afghanistan in exactly 22days physically unscathed...that I am married happily to the most wonderful man in the world 23 years this month and he is the closest thing to Jesus I have have ever known on this earth...that he did not have a head injury when the car hit him riding his bike on his birthday (yes, Friday the 13th!)...and I can with all my heart say:
"Bless the Lord, o my soul; and all that is deepest within me bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, o my soul, and forget not one of all His benefits...Who forgives every one of all your iniquities, Who heals each one of all your diseases. Who redeems your life from the pit and corruption, Who beautifies, dignifies, and crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercy. Who satisfies your mouth with good so that your youth, renewed, is lke the eagle's - strong, overcoming, soaring!" Ps 103:1-5 Amp
Blessings to all ya'll!
Sharoni
Loved hearing from you last night as we got home from the A&M-Texas game! In spite of the outcome, it was a great game and I loved being there.
Our cornbread dressing was sooo good-we had so much food and I could've had JUST dressing and been perfectly happy! This is a day that I really miss my Mama & Daddy!!
..Grateful for?? This ministry! Beth, God has worked on me intently since I was introduced to your studies 11 years ago and as you have led us to a couple of other studies. I love how now when something rears it's ugly head or something wonderful occurs, I know to turn my thoughts heavenward and rely on Him or give Him the glory. The scripture memory has done wonders for my 'thoughts'. I really can't explain it very well.
I'm praying that you find comfort with your back problem, that's so painful! Enjoy some quiet time this weekend!
Love and blessings,
Bobbie
I am so very thankful for my twin grandbabies who were born on 12/8/08. I never dreamed my heart could be so taken over yet divided between these two precious angel babies. I love them so and am so very grateful for to God for blessing me so.
There are lots of things this year that at the time have been difficult but looking back I've been thankful for. I've learnt (and am still learning by the way) that God know what He's doing and His timing is always best.
Even this week we've had a mini crisis in our family but now I'm so thankful for it as it's brought me back to dependence on God! A much better place to be than dealing with everything on my own!! :)
Thank you for sharing your day of thanks with us. In December, at age 46, I graduate with the college degree that I have longed for. I am so thankful for this opportunity and the people who have supported me through it all. I have loved every step of this journey and I can't even find words to tell God how thankful I am.
I'm grateful for my insufficiency. I was raised to be capable and conquering; full of self-reliance to take on any task. But, God has asked me of late to do things that are beyond my ability in order that He might show Himself a great and powerful God. My awe and love for Him grows deeper all the time.
It’s so beautiful to be able to share the abandon I feel for God with others.
I’m so thankful.
In Christ,
Marie
I loved reading about your Thankful Day! We had one too. The morning started with the cutest saying from my youngest..."GROSS Mommy!! They left the bullet in the Turkey!" Mind you it was that ready therm. that comes with the turkey. Then she wanted to know if it was a girl or boy turkey because she had just learned that they make different sounds. She keeps us "rollin" I was running around cooking and then had to take a run at the bayou to try and prepare my body for the millions of calories that I would consume that day. Then the family came over and just like I thought...it was an amazing time! Of course, I'm partial, but we really have the best family in the whole world. I LOVE LOVE them and enjoy every second. I hated to see them leave at the end of the day. IT was a very THANKFUL Day with many blessings.
We had everyone write down what they were thankful for on the tablecloth. My youngest touched me the most. "I'm thankful to God for my baby hand because I can do a lot with it." So SWEET!!
Now I better go...my sweet hubby is braving "Black Friday" with all the crazy women. He just got home. We gave our orders yesterday. Hopefully, he is still in one piece! :o)
My 8 year old nephew came home on Thanksgiving Day after having had his 2nd brain surgery this past Monday. Surgeon said it was the fastest recovery they'd ever seen. Up, talking, moving everything, his usual sense of humor. A MIRACLE! When he sat on my lap at age 1, and said his first word to me "dog"! I never thought this is something I would be thinking God for (he's had severe seizures for 2 years). But we are- and God's got great plans for him. Truly Thankful,
Amanda
I am thankful that my children are growing up... not thankful that one day they will leave, but thankful that I have the opportunity to see wonderful Christian adults emerge from these precious little ones of whom God gave me charge. A few months ago, I was in full melt-down mode about my oldest growing up. At sixteen, she's making decisions about college and future plans now that will affect her for the rest of her life. Her younger siblings aren't far behind her, and it was breaking my heart that my babies weren't babies anymore. Since then, God has given me such a peace about who all four of my children are becoming that even though I will treasure the years when they were sweet as sugar, I am no longer heart-broken over their not-so-sweet teen years and the bumpy road we've had to traverse so far. In fact, I've come to realize that these difficult teen years are just like hatchlings trying to break out of their eggs-- difficult, exhausting and pretty messy, but part of the process of becoming who God wants them to be. I never thought I'd be able to say that I'm thankful for these challenging teenage years, but truly I can now say that.
Years ago I felt like the Lord lifted the blinders off my eyes to see truth...especially truth about myself and my sin. Although seeing my sin, especially the deep sin of my heart has not been easy, I realize that it is a gift from God that keeps me connected to Him in a way I wouldn't not have been if I was still blind. God knows just what I need :)
Never thought I would be thankful that my parent's marriage, after 46 years, did not fall apart. Assumed that their marriage was super heroish. That the world had not and would not touch them. Wow, was I wrong. Oh but God is so good. He has brought healing, forgiveness and restoration this year. We have all lived through the pain, tried not to stuff it. Now I am excited about a new year. I am thankful...I choose joy.
I'm thankful for financial hardships. Learning and growing so much through them.
And I'm thankful for Amanda Jones. Love you, girl!
Last year my husband wanted to get our daughter a dog...I said no and he overruled...and I am most surprised that this year, I can't imagine life w/out this cute thing...I am soooo thankful for "Biscuit"!
Angela
Garner, NC
dear Beth- I am praying for your recovery from your back issues and your pain...
My sister and I have become incredibly close since the passing of our Mama almost 3 years ago- we are only 2 years apart, but we have never been so close like we are now. Our family history, our Faith, and our coming to a place of peacefulness with life binds us like crazy!
For this, I am SO grateful to our Lord who loves us !!!
Love to you and your family,
Fran
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mama Beth! What a delicious day it sounds like you had!!!! I am so sorry to hear about your herniated disk. Back problems like that have been surfacing in our family too, so I know firsthand how painful they are. This very specific back problem will be in my prayers!!!!
I am so grateful this year for so many things. My heart has just been so overwhelmed! But perhaps the most unexpected thing that I am grateful for is my pregnancy. I am pregnant with my 2nd set of boy/girl twins! God is just so much better to me than I ever could imagine or deserve.
Much love and prayers to you! Enjoy your quiet day of reading and family!!!!
A broken heart that only God could heal. The whole experience has brought me closer to God and helped me to praise God for his love and patience with me. He helped me see the world in a brand new way. The truth will set you free indeed! Praise God!
Beth,
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'm so sorry about your back...I meant to put that in the earlier post. We hope you get well soon with that. Backs can be very fickle! My youngest said "OH Man! Does she have to watch a lot of movies in bed?? HOW BORING" How funny from someone that watches movies ALMOST every day. Anyway, hope that brought a smile to your face. WE will be praying!
That my dad is here to spend the holidays with - he had emergency triple bypass surgery a couple months ago and so this season I am realizing the precious gift we have still having him with us.
I am thankful my friend, Beverley, gave her heart to Christ. She invited Christ to be her Lord last month. Our God is faithful. He continues to seek and to save the lost even when we think it is not going to happen. Thank you, Lord.
I am so thankful that after years of infertility, my brother and his wife who are in their mid-30's, are expecting their first child in July. I don't want to say that I am thankful for their years of infertility, but somehow the long wait makes the blessing even sweeter.
I have two boys and, while we were planning on having a third baby someday, we weren't planning on it this year. BUT, God had different plans and, late in the summer, we were surprised to find out that we were expecting again...and the day before Thanksgiving, we found out that it's another boy...how fun! I wasn't expecting to be thankful for another baby boy this year (only because we weren't planning on it) BUT am so blessed to be entrusted with three healthy baby boys!
I have been very grateful for my kids being so loving and thoughtful, mindful that I am not 25 anymore...and I'm only 52. But those herniated discs, arthritic knees, and cancer and radiation can really take it out of you. Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry we have to share the neck pain. My doc said the phone was the worst thing for the neck. Get a headset.
Jan in Katy
So grateful for how God has been teaching me about things by bringing books, studies, experiences, etc., all about the SAME thing at the SAME time, so that I really GET the message. It really is amazing to me and so very personal. Especially in the area of relationships. I watched you on Life Today about being known by God and I seem to just be really getting it, how He has known me from forever, and still watches over my every momemt. So I am safe and free to be just me, I am okay just how I am....... It really is huge........ and so much more fun.
Gratefully, karen:):)
Beth, I know this is off the topic, but when I woke up this morning and went to have my morning cup of coffee, my machine was dead! I tried every outlet in the kitchen, but it was hopeless. My husband is not a coffee drinker, but has seen firsthand the benefits of me being properly caffeinated in the morning. So when I called out that I needed his help, and that I was having a "Beth Moore" moment, he sprang into action. Thanks to the example set by your wonderful hubby, he is now at Starbucks getting me my fix. For that I am thankful!
Janet Teeter
West Linn, OR
I am thankful for my son's ADHD... it has been a long journey and it is far from over, but I know that it is all part of God's plan. This little blessing in disguise has allowed me to reach out to other hurting parents and help them with their struggles as well. I have started a support group for parents of kids with ADHD in my city.
I am thankful for the health of my famiies...current, nuclear, and in-laws. I realize how blessed we are that both set of parents are alive and well, even if they've had a few physical challenges this year. I realize how blessed I am to have 4 healthy kids and 1 daughter-n-law who have made it to adulthood. I have taken health and safety for granted for years, but have recently become more aware that we are not immune to health problems or danger or sudden death, so I should savor every day with everyone of them!
I will be praying for your back/disc problem. I hope the pain can be controlled without surgery!
In His Grip,
Kathy W
Mansfield, TX
Sounds like you all had a wonderful day! I want to take this opportunity to say "Thank You" to you for following God's direction to write all these wonderful bible studies. You've made bible study so much fun and I believe that God does like us to have fun while learning. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Wendy in AZ
Dear Mama Beth,
so glad you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I just love how you share with us.
For me this year I am most thankful for God being who He is. He never changes and his love and care for my family this past year has humbled me beyond measure. I have learned trust and faith move mountains and I just love my family and the love we have for each other and how much it has grown over this tumultous year.
I pray you have a wonderful day of doing nothing.
love you
Tammy S.
You are so lucky you have girls! They always go where Mama is. The boys go with the girls/now wives and then drop by or "visit" their moms house. I am learning to accept this and keep my mouth shut. Oh, having adult children out of the nest and watching your mouth at the same time is hard. So, what am I thnnkful for?
I kept my big trap shut for the entire day!! Only the Lord could accomplish that in this loud-mouthed woman!
Great post!
I never thought I'd be thankful for my husband's cancer; how God pulled us all closer to him through the journey; and that he is healed. He was a very sick 37 year old man 7 months ago...today, he looks healthy, strong and can play with our 2 young kids again. THANK YOU GOD!
Blessings to you...and please share the book you're finishing. I could use some good Christian fiction right about now!
Beth, I love your stories! Thank you for sharing them with us.
Today, I am grateful for one thing. There is a line in a beautiful hymn which I love that goes like this "Once I knew there was a Love Divine, then came a time I thought it knew me not." Through this year, through a miracle of the Holy Spirit worked in my heart. I DO Believe, in my spirit and in my heart and in Truth, that Jesus bore MY sins, and that through His work I am justified before Holy God. I know He has so much more to teach me, but I am so grateful to be on the journey now, instead of running away from what I don't understand (LOVE). Thank you for your faithfulness, Breaking Free and Believing God are two studies I have done this year which have helped, tremendously. Along with My Utmost for His Highest and the unimaginable grace of God to allow me to be pastored by a True life disciple here in my home town. I know this is long, I just wanted you to know how full my heart is, that I believe, honestly and I am grateful for that Faith, which we know is a gift from God. Bless you and your beautiful family!
Love in Him,
Michelle
I am grateful for the 5 months my husband was out of work earlier this year. I realized that my faith and trust in God is stronger than I thought, that my time with Him was very intimate during that scary time, and that I could no longer put my own definition on what I think a miracle is....I have to wait and let Him show me Himself....because He is much more creative than I am.
I also loved having my husband home all day long every single day because his new job (thank you Jesus) has taken him out of the country 50% of the time since July.
So happy you had a wonderful day......I do hope your back heals soon!
Oh, and for those of you who are struggling with cancer; either yourself, or with a loved one...we wrote about my husband Rich's entire journey on our blog. It's truly a story of God's faithfulness and provision:
http://18words.wordpress.com/
I loved your post. It is so great to be with family on Thanksgiving!
I am grateful for so much. It all started with the scripture memory. I'm grateful for working with 2 great ladies on God's G.A.L.S. (God's Amazing Love Shared). We are doing the Esther study. Love it!
I am so grateful for my family, husband Bill, daughter Claire and son Dan. We had a breakthrough yesterday at dinner. Dan sang for us. He's been reluctant to share his beautiful baritone voice, but he was selected for state 7/8 honor choir. It's given him more confidence. Claire is our inspiring writer and love reading her works!
I am grateful we are all healthy and we are having beautiful weather this Thanksgiving. I went to yoga class today and had extra time to meditate.
Blessing all my siesta during this holiday season!
Mary Ann
Woodbury, MN
I'm thankful for my job! I've taken having a job for granted all of these years...and yes, even whined and complained at times for having to work. Then I became ill and unable to work for 2 years! Now, it is a joy to return to work and I truly am thankful to Jesus for providing the work and providing my healing. I am working for Him and not just for my family. It is a whole different attitude and purpose. SWEET!!
Love,
Little Monkey's Mama
Beth, I am thankful that my husband is still home with us. After asking for a divorce one year ago. God has become my rock and I found out I was one mighty strong woman. God is good and not just because my husband stayed but because I decided that it did not matter if he stayed or not I was going to serve God and serve him I have. I stayed faithful to God and he in returned has made me joyful.
I get to see you in April 2010 in Tampa, Fl and I can not wait. Love you Beth.
Oh by far the greatest surprise blessing this year has been discovering this whole blog community. I discovered it quite by accident and now it's like I get an encouraging, Jesus filled morning everyday, from complete strangers I have grown to love. Including you guys!
I am thankful for the usual things, but since you asked for what blessing I am most surprised by, here it is:
Our new house! We close in a few weeks on our first home. Three weeks ago another house deal fell through - what I called the SOS house: small, old, shabby. Almost charming, two bedrooms, 100 years old, a true fixer-upper. While we were waiting on that house we watched another home come down, down, down in price - almost to the price of the SOS house. 1000 square feet larger, four bedroom, newish, niceish, wonderful.
I never thought I'd have a home this nice. Low interest rates, a sluggish housing market, and the first-time homebuyer's tax credit all made it the right time for us to finally buy. I can't believe this will be the home our children will remember as their childhood home.
I am so blessed and I can't wait for God to show me how I can bless others with hospitality and generosity, thanks to the beautiful home he is providing for us.
I am grateful that my mom has moved here to live in the same town.
I was asked to study in Chicago this year. After 10 years in the convent (in a very rural setting) I was sacred to death. I also didn't think I would really really be grateful for it... but I am. So many unexpected blessings!
love you Beth!
Lynn
for years I've asked my prayer partners to pray for the difficult relationship between my husband and oldest son. I'll spare you all the gory details about how I've tried to be the Holy Spirit in both of their lives - dismal failures all of course. The thaw has begun but oh so gradually and I'm learning to trust in ways I would prefer not to, but He is so very faithful. Imagine my surprise when son asked father if son could move in for a few months before he looks for another apartment. The answer was yes and I've been standing on the sidelines thanking God for every tiny step forward in that relationship. For someone (me) who hates conflict this has been quite the season and never on this earth would I have imagined I would be grateful - but praise God I am!!
Beth - Thank you for sharing your day, you are such a good woman. Thank you for inviting us into your family's Thanksgiving, and for loving us along the way.
Your day sounds so much like mine, even down to help with vacuuming. My back has been out of whack since my 17 hour flight from South Africa in August, and also lugging around my 15 month old grandson, who is 28 pounds and ALWAYS reaches up for me to "hold me." It has sure aggravated it, but oh I'm so torn about not holding him.
I am praying hard for your back to heal. It is so hard when you are independent, isn't it? God is teaching me so much. Like the world will continue to revolve even if I slow down and receive some help. He says ABIDE, and I am.
My grateful heart has been caught by surprise at the joy and peace in being at the stage of life called the "empty nest." My greatest delight has been in being a mother and I just didn't think I could survive without my boys home. But my youngest got married last year, and I am doing okay. It was hard at first, but it is all good.
If they did't fly the nest, I wouldn't have my new name: "Gran Jan" which brings me such joy.
And right now each of my son's wives are expecting babies just 5 days apart (both are due in May 2010). I AM SO THANKFUL AND PRAISE HIS NAME!
And as my sweet man said again the other day at church when asked, "how is the empty nest?" He replied, "it ain't empty, we're still there." And WE are good.
Hang in there young wives and moms, it is so worth it.
Thankful for you Beth - you are a TREASURE to my heart,
GJ
A husband! Last year we didn't even know one another. Four months after we met, we both knew. Now we have had our 1st Thanksgiving together and just went out and bought probably more than we need Christmas decorations! God heard my prayers for many years for a husband! Extra thankful this season! :)
Beth,
I'm grateful for a refining season. It's been painful but...fruitful. Hallelujah.
I never dreamed that I would be so thankful for: Scripture memorization. I seriously didn't think I could do it. A battle with depression a few years back has left my brain with less capacity than I would prefer. I accepted the Scripture Memory challenge feeling as though I would only be able to meditate on them-not actually memorize them. At this point I have memorized 22 Scripture passages word for word. It really IS a miracle! And I am so thankful.
On the flip side of that, I have certainly needed every word of Scripture to combat the challenges that I have faced this year. I'm not quite ready to be thankful for some of those challenges, but I DO know that God is working in my life in ways that I never dreamed possible. I just wish that learning to be completely dependent on God did not have to be so painful.
Thank you, Beth, for sharing some of your life with us. I will be praying for you.
Post a Comment
<< Home