Keeping it Real & Reverence for God
So, I’ve been reading Leviticus. Yep, you read that correctly, Leviticus.
Many of you have graciously inquired in your posts about how I approach biblical research. At some point, I would love to type out a step-by-step process and post it for you, but for now I will simply say that my first step before consulting any biblical resource is always to read the book of the Bible that I am studying in full, all in one sitting. Sometimes I even read the text aloud. I do this because I find that I gain a much better comprehension of the book if I read it all in one sitting than if I break it up into little segments over a longer period of time. After I read the whole book in its entirety a couple of times, I go back and study the chapters, then the verses, and finally the various phrases and words. In brief, my methodology being a very simple-minded woman is to start with the whole so that I can understand the parts.
Well, the last couple of nights I have read Leviticus in full because for the life of me, I cannot remember the last time that I read it. I think it was during my first year at Moody Bible Institute in Old Testament Survey. And mostly I was reading it to get the grade, if you know what I mean. Okay, I was only reading it to get the grade! Anyway…I know reading a book of the Bible in its entirety might sound daunting at first, but ya’ll, Leviticus is only 27 chapters, which means that it took me less than two hours to read it the first time and just a little over an hour the second time. This is not that much time if you think about it, considering we spend at least two-three hours a day feeding ourselves and almost half that much time blow-drying our hair and putting on make-up. If a book can’t be read all in one sitting, then the next best thing is to break it up over two sittings. You get my drift!
Back to Leviticus…Since we are living on this side of the cross of Jesus Christ and are not “Levites” per se and are certainly not camped out in the Sinai wilderness, what relevance does Leviticus have for us? Perhaps the main theme of Leviticus can point us in the right direction as to how we can apply this significant text. In quick summary fashion, the book of Leviticus gives instructions to the Israelites about how to be holy before a holy God, and how to live amongst the people of God and even foreigners in a way that reflects this holiness. The Hebrew noun that is rendered “holy” in our English texts is used in its various forms over 120 times in Leviticus. Since I am a little slow sometimes, I really love it when an author slams a term, phrase, or theme over and over again so that I simply cannot miss it or disregard it. But, what does it mean for God to be holy? I love how one of my favorite professors, Dr. John Walton puts it: “God’s holiness is not a separate attribute but the result of the sum total of all of his attributes- including but not limited to his sovereignty, omniscience, love, and righteousness. Holiness is a term that implies comparison. God is holy in relation to the people he created. When God asks his people to be holy as he is holy, he means we are to maintain distinctions between ourselves and the world around us by imitating God himself” (The Essential Bible Companion, 19).
I am sure there are a number of good applications that we could make from Leviticus, but I can only mention a few that hit me between the eyes as I re-read Leviticus. First, Leviticus reminds us that it takes incredible sacrifice to eliminate or wipe away the effects of our sin so that we can be in the presence of God. Bottom line: Sin is serious. This is convicting to me personally because somehow over time I have worked-up a nonchalant relationship with my sin. For example, when I sin I tend to do so in a way that deliberately predicts the grace that I will receive immediately when I confess. I personally do not have to participate in any intricate process for my sin to be obliterated, so I think to myself, “there is now no condemnation for those of us who are in Christ Jesus” and that nothing can separate us from the love of Jesus Christ (Romans 8). While these things are certainly true, the New Testament reiterates that grace should never cause us to feel some sort of stagnant peace with our sin (see Romans 6:1,15; Hebrews & James, also). As Christians each of us have been given the confidence to enter the “holy place” by the blood of Jesus (Heb. 10) and though we may not offer up grain offerings or animal sacrifices like the ancient Israelites did, we do well to recall often that our merciful standing before our holy creator God required the sacrifice of Jesus Christ’s flesh. Texts like Leviticus 10:1-3 provide a good corrective to my inappropriate abuse of God’s grace through Jesus Christ. If you don’t have a Bible with you, that text presents two sons of Aaron as offering unwarranted incense before the Lord. Aaron’s two sons, Nadab and Abihu, were immediately consumed (a.k.a killed) by fire that came out from the presence of the Lord. The Lord’s words that follow directly after this incident give me goose-bumps. He says, “By those who come near me I will be treated as holy, And before all people I will be honored.” And then the text follows, “So, Aaron, therefore, kept silent.”
I’m just relieved Aaron kept silent.
Sometimes we can get so comfortable in our theological constructs that we need to read something shocking to awaken us from our spiritual slumbers. One of the things that the wonderful and legendary Dr. Greg Beale used to say in class at Wheaton was: “Sometimes you need to comfort the afflicted, but other times you need to afflict the comforted.” I have this phrase written in the front page of my Bible because I have found it very useful in my own walk with the Lord. Sometimes I am so broken and so desperate for hope that I need to meditate on a comforting passage in Scripture, but other times these dry bones need a rebuke so that they can dance once again.
My second application is perhaps a little more questionable, maybe even controversial, and has proved difficult for me to form into words. Forgive me in advance for my lack of precision. It tends to characterize my generation more than it does my Mom’s generation. It has to do with my generation’s all-too-often nonchalant relationship to our holy Creator. While I am sure we could exposit this for hours, I just want to give one main example. Lately I have overheard several staunch believers publicly utter words like “I am so ticked off at God" but the word used wasn't 'ticked', if you know what I mean. I’ve heard even more crass statements than that one to describe this same sort of thing but do not feel comfortable quoting these words on a blog because most of them involve swear-words. I am sure you can imagine the type of thing I am referring to. Most of these people connect their confession of anger toward God with “being authentic” and “keeping it real”. I am getting the feeling that there is some sort of underlying and unquestioned assumption that “keeping it real” and “being authentic” means sharing and expressing to others most everything that our soul emotes, even in its darkest and most wicked places. A few times I have actually gotten the sense that some might even parade their anger toward God as some sort of boast of their own authenticity. Something about this makes me unashamedly queasy. One of the reasons crass comments like “I am so ticked off at God” bother me is that they sound suspiciously similar to the rants of the rest of the world which continually condemn God for everything gone wrong, minor or major. We should be set apart from the world, especially in our confessions of God’s faithfulness and justice.
Having said all of this, I do think my generation’s love and passion for authenticity is tremendously commendable, I am just not sure it is always fleshed out appropriately. I think the reason we prize authenticity is because the temptation of the generations before us might have been toward quietly bottling up their anger with God while serving Him ingenuinely in their local churches. But, I guess my question is, in our desire to “keep it real”, “to be authentic”, and to flee far from hypocrisy, are we disrespecting our God? And if so, where is the line?
I don’t think there are any simple answers and I am certainly not out to offer solutions, because I simply don’t have them. I do think, however, that the thin line here lies somewhere between the paradox so eloquently described in Matt Redman’s words in the song “Face Down”. The lyrics go something like this, “Welcomed in to the courts of the King, I’ve been ushered in to your presence…Lord, I stand on your merciful ground, yet with every step tread with reverence.” The paradox that we experience as a Christian is this: we may stand on merciful ground, but we do so ever mindful of God’s other-ness. The paradox gives us the luxury to confidently pour out hearts before our God who is our refuge and with whom we have a personal relationship through Jesus Christ. The paradox, however, never allows us to do so in a crass or unacceptably colloquial manner that undermines the holiness of God. The hard truth is that we are going to endure times that we feel God is absent or even that He is forsaking us in a certain situation but we should be careful how, when, and to whom we verbalize it. Perhaps, in smaller matters that mostly have to do with our distrust in God, we may need to repent of our unbelief. In matters of great disasters that leave our heads completely spinning in devastation, perhaps we should first confess to Him our anger and grief in our personal prayer lives or maybe even with an individual and very trusted accountability partner. He obviously knows when we are angry with Him, so we should confess this to Him, plead with Him, and pour out our hearts to Him in truth, but must we always publicly express our displeasure toward God? Perhaps you have better answers and solutions than I do, but I do fear that our crass expressions may expose our disrespect for an almighty God more than they expose our personal authenticity.
Jesus promised that in this world we will have trouble, so let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful (Heb. 10). And when those moments come that we feel abandoned by God, let us take heart knowing that for now we see in a mirror dimly, but there is going to be a day when we will see face to face. Yes, sister, one of these days, we shall know fully (1 Cor. 13:12). God simply has not revealed all of the information we need to be able to judge and assess all the trials in our lives and all the suffering in our fallen world. We may never understand the trials we go through on this side of glory. Consider Job’s sufferings and how he never once knew the reality behind his suffering. We, the readers of Job know why he suffered, but he himself never knew and after forty chapters of questionings and turmoil, all Job could do was utter to God: “Behold I am insignificant…” and “I know that Thou canst do all things…I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know…But now my eyes see Thee, Therefore I retract and I repent…(Job 40-42). I believe that when we know in full, we will declare God just and true, and that perhaps we will wish that we hadn’t been so quick to condemn Him for all our earthly trials.
“Great and marvelous are Thy works, O Lord God, the Almighty; Righteous and true are Thy ways, Thou King of the nations. Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? For Thou alone art holy; For ALL THE NATIONS WILL COME AND WORSHIP BEFORE THEE, For Thy righteous acts have been revealed.”
Revelation 15:3-4
Anxiously waiting for ALL of God’s righteous acts to be revealed,
Melissa Moore Fitzpatrick
Labels: Melissa

225 Comments:
You are so right on!
I do agree with the "Holy Reverance" part or lack thereof.
I often times feel that in my own walk with the Lord that I get a little too comfortable with Him and need to step back, shut my mouth, fall to my knees, and bow before HIS MAJESTY! He alone is God - all by Himself!!
Please, Lord, help me to always, first and foremost, remember that you are HOLY!! I am so thankful that you desire a PERSONAL relationship with me! Thank you for saving me and changing me. But You, O God, never change. You are Holy. You are God. You are the Creator and Sustainer of Life. You are WORTHY of all praise and adoration. I humbly bow before you with my face to the ground in AWE of YOU!!!
BLESS YOUR NAME FOREVER!!!
God bless you always!!
Thanks for the GREAT WORD and the IMPORTANT reminder.
Love you Moore Girls!
Roxanne
Dear Melissa -
Thank you for this word...
Sincerely,
Cindy
Laguna Niguel, CA
Just - Thank you.
Wow.
"Grace should never cause us to make some sort of stagnant peace with our sin."
That hits so very close to home! And you are right on with your second point, as well. I think you communicated it very well. I find it benificial to keep in mind that I deserve NOTHING but absolute condemnation and misery (if He were judging solely on MY goodness or lack thereof) from the Almighty, so even when I feel angry or betrayed by Him, while I can share that fully with Him, as He already knows it fully, I should be careful not to convey an attitude of entitlement. Any good I have is unmerited. I deserve death. He gives me life. Who am I to question Him? I agree that I can't wait until we know fully someday. For now, I'll try to rely on Him more each day and do my best to trust HIS HOLINESS.
Thanks for this amazing post.
Wow. That was powerful ... and an important reminder of so many things! I, being more part of your mom's generation than yours, often find that the questions that are asked by my younger sisters in Christ are stirring, push me to be a better Titus 2 example and allow me to look at God in a fresh way ... but it is sometimes the casual manner in which they approach our Heavenly Father that causes me to have some of the same questions you've offered up here. I have a feeling the answer is complex ... but the idea that we need to be mindful of God's 'other-ness' struck a new cord in my soul. And on that, I will ponder on for a time.
Thank you....you have no idea how much I needed this today.
I agree, Melissa. Even in times of questioning and anger, we should relate to God in a respectful way -- especially when we are speaking publicly about Him. I can't help but think of something Job said: "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him..." (13:15) I think this is what we would want to show the world around us -- not a disrespectful anger.
So well spoken! God is so good and tolerant of our immaturity. He indeed is the ultimate parent. Im so thankful He is so patient with me and so willing to forgive. God help me never to be so arrogant and prideful as to assume his forgiveness.
Thank you...
Amen. Thank you for sharing with this community what God is teaching you - what a blessing!
Cheryl Barker said...
I agree, Melissa. Even in times of questioning and anger, we should relate to God in a respectful way --
Yes, we should relate to God in a respectful way, and in a *reverent* way. I believe we approach God much too *casually*. He is the creator and ruler of the universe. While we love Him and desire an intimate relationship with him, we shouldn't take Him lightly or approach him casually.
We know in part...but someday soon, we shall see Him face to face. And reverence and awe will be understood, redefined and fleshed out for us in perfection. I LONG for the day. Long for it and watch for Him.
I'm so glad you read Leviticus this week. I thas blessed me to read what God is teaching you!
Love,
Holly
I LOVE when you post!! Thank you for sharing that, Melissa. I've been studying Leviticus on my own also and I had been trying to put into words what God had been laying on my heart -- and you did it with such eloquence!
Study on, lady, I can't wait to share in what else He has for you and us!
Melissa, I was contemplating God's holiness today as I sat on my front porch. I was wondering sometimes at the freedom with which I dare approach a holy God and of course He reminded me that it is b/c of the blood that was shed that I can come into His presence at all. I'm so grateful for His grace and will bathe in it for all my days, but like you, I don't ever want to forget His holiness...longing for Heaven, but a bit timid when it comes to my Holy God...how will we ever bear it? Only by the blood. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Isn't His word absolutely facinating???! Looking totally forward to this weekend!!!
Melissa,
What an awesome word from the Lord through you. I love Leviticus because I love seeing how Jesus fulfills all of the sacrifices in His perfect, once for all sacrifice. You are right that His sacrifice is a major one. A friend of mine came to Christ after reading the entire Old Testament. He said that after reading it, he knew he needed a Savior because he could not keep that law.
That we treat Jesus so casually and irreverantly is not a product of your generation alone. The older generation may not show direct lack of respect (at 44 I am in the middle), because they were taught not to approach God that way. However, the Adam and Eve-style hide-and-seek that they/I play with Him is equally hideous. We try to hide our sins from Him and ourselves. If we pretend they don't exist, they don't. That is also a part of southern culture where we make our stuff look good! If it looks good on the outside . . . .
The call on each of us is to learn to live in the balance - a daily struggle for this siesta - between intimacy, familiarity and honesty coupled with reverance and humility. If we are honest with God, we will come humbly, all of us. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." If we seek intimacy, we will see His holiness and our own sin will become so vividly clear. If we seek familiarity, we will hear the voice of the Holy Spirit and know it, and we will be able to be honest without being disrespectful. I pray that for all of us we will learn what it means to be sanctified day by day.
Thanks for awakening these dry bones from my afternoon spiritual slumber and giving me some wonderful truths on which to meditate as I prepare our dinner. And, my sister, you are no simple-minded woman, but a woman after God's own heart. THanks for sharing your journey with us.
Jenny
Funny i was reading Leviticus this last week too but because a mormon friend was getting married and i lacked all understanding of that ceremony....i tell you Temple worship for a Mormon is totally Levitical and it brought home to me in a different way the concept of "Holiness" i like the definition you mentioned from Dr. John Walton...actually i love this definition....Thanks so much for stopping by....I LOVE to read your posts...thank you for your convictions and sharing so thoughtfully....Isaih 55:8 says the same thing too...i just love the word...it's all there..signed:the cake baker
What a word! I agree, we can express our anger and hurt towards him, yet with deep reverence.
There are often words used even in church, that I wonder about!
I think more of us might have been toast in the Old Testament days....
But for the grace of God.
I was just discussing the word "reverence" with my 7 year old daughter. She couldn't get her brain wrapped around it. I told her that it meant that when we think, talk about, or talk to God, we should use our manners. Now, you and I both know that real reverence goes WAY deeper than that, but it seemed to make sense in her mind.
I find it interesting that we both have had major discussions/thoughts about being reverent lately. Maybe I should take the hint from Him....and thank Him for the hint.
REALLY enjoyed your post today.
Melissa:
This was wonderful. You got that from Leviticus? (Just kidding).
I agree with you that we have in general become lacks with reverence to God when expressing our anger with him ..to him. I don't know that it started in this generation, I think maybe a little before.
I think of David and his out pouring to God in times of happiness,celebration, fear, anger, distress, mourning, repentance and praise. David was so close to God, yet he had a reverence for Him as he spoke, because HE is GOD.
Great post. I see two related traits of our generation that complicate our "authenticity" (which I agree is an admirable, necessary quality).
First, we've been taught that as individuals we have the right and responsibility to evaluate everything around us. This also is a good and necessary perspective, and yet at times we use it to give ourselves permission to sit in the judgment seat even over God, as if his actions are ours to judge. We see him as the performer, ourselves as the one giving out the score. People saved--oh, yay, give God a 10. Disaster strikes--oh, boo, God really messed up there, give him a 3.1. But what arrogance to put ourselves in the judge's seat at all!
Secondly, this individualistic streak reflects a consumerist mentality, one that is always looking for the best bargain at the mall. We want only the good stuff--a wide selection of options that can meet all of our needs and desires, at a price we like. God's job is to stock our worlds with the things that make us happy, fulfilled, or satisfied with ourselves and the way things are going in this world. When he doesn't, we feel justified in being angry with him, the same way we'd be angry when Target no longer carries our favorite brand of toothpaste. (What's up with that, anyway? I can't find Colgate Fresh Confidence ANYWHERE anymore.) Our anger and freedom in expressing our anger shows that we believe anger, judgment and discontent are a justifiable response to a God who doesn't have "in stock" the items we think he should. Our view of God's work is that it somehow should fit into our lives like a new pair of jeans--it's an enhancement, an accoutrement, an accessory. Reality, though, is that we should allow his Spirit to fit US into HIS life, not the other way around. We should view ourselves and our abilities and works as items for his consumption, so that our lives are swallowed up in him, not that we have to somehow find a way to swallow a God who isn't quite the right size. (Forgive my mixed metaphors!)
Sorry--too long! Just know that I appreciate your post tremendously. :-)
Melissa, Wow, thank you. Was that ever good. Since I am of your mother's generation I did not know this exists in these times with your generation. It is something for all of us to realize and thinks about. I just started reading the book of Job last night, I do not know why. I was thinking that I wanted to read what the Lord had to say. I wanted to read it it from the beginning as I felt lead by His Holy Spirit to do. I think it was so that I could get the whole picture. So I started from the beginning and even read the commentary before chapter 1. I read to Chapter 28 and could not stay awake anymore. I am so glad that I was at home today to read what you wrote because your point that Job never new why is so, so, so significant. So, now when I go back to finish this book, I will realize this fact. I will always remember that and share it. Wow, that changes so much. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for sharing that with us.
I pray God blesses and blesses and blesses you, sweet girl.
Thank you Melissa. I love your posts, you have wonderful insights, and explain yourself very well. I studied Hebrews 10 this morning!
Oh Melissa...
I read those words on a blog last week and felt so disturbed.
How dare we become so relaxed in our attitude toward God. YES He is personal and involved in every last detail, but my goodness...HE is God! Give Him the respect He deserves...
Thank you for this challenge! Hope to meet you in S.A.!
stephanie
Thank you, Melissa, for so beautifully sharing your insight on the Word of Leviticus. I’m in Romans right now, but you’re getting me all fired up to flip to Leviticus soon.
I have a prayer request…Many of us (fellow siestas) are in the predicted path of Tropical Storm Faye. It’s already taken one life…it’s creating catastrophic flooding. Would you kindly lift us up in prayer for a hedge of protection around us in Jacksonville, FL. It is expected to reach us in full force tonight and tomorrow.
On a personal note, we are gearing up for another Chick Night (large-scale outreach event) on Oct. 9. This storm is cancelling meetings and much needed to-dos. Would you please pray that this storm passes fast with no damage so we are not distracted from our mission. Naturally, your prayers for Chick Night are greatly appreciated, too. Thank you!
Thank you for afflicting the comforted in me... This was an especially need WORD...in a desert that I have been watering with my tears. Praying as I prepare myself for what He desires for me this weekend... and Praying for God to continue to change my heart! Can't wait to see you all this weekend!
Love you Melissa Moore Fitzpatrick!
Dedra
Melissa,
Thank you for your insight. I have been thinking and feeling the same way for a while now. I appreciate you putting words together that I could express.
I am definitely sending this on to to others to spur on some great conversations:)
Oh Melissa...this was recently a topic of discussion during a small group summer book club. We were discussing "The Shack", and one of the girls in our group said that she had a really hard time with how "human" God was portrayed in the book. She mentioned that while she understood that we could relate to God freely, because of the sacrifice of Christ, she felt that there wasn't enough reverence for the fact that He was still God - not our "buddy", not our "pal", but God. It launched us into a deeper discussion of how the mercy of God doesn't negate the holiness of God - one is incomplete without the other.
I was convicted after that discussion that maybe I was becoming a little too complacent in my own relationship with God and not regarding Him with "holy fear" and reverence. Thanks, for this subsequent reminder.
See you in San Antonio...heading to the airport now!
I have to add this story to my last blog.
Three and half years ago we were planning a big dinner and dance to celebrate my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary where they were going to renew their vows in front of all 11 of their children, 24 grandchildren, and some of their closest friends.
My mom went into the hospital to have some minor surgery done a few months prior to that event and as the Lord would have it, He used that opportunity to call her Home to Heaven. While in the hospital, my mom had a stroke and I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that in the midst of these HUGE plans that WE had, God had plans of His own. I prayed every scripture I knew to pray for healing - truly believing that God would heal her and perform a miracle that I know He is so capable of doing. My mom had to be put on life support and I remember praying over her in the hospital and saying, "Lord, it is the 11th hour and a great time for you to show up." The day we had to unplug the machines I was devastated.......
I was sitting on the side of the road in my car, overcome with grief, and crying out to my God. It was a daughter's deperate plea on behalf of her beloved mother. I have to tell you, I was not holding back. I CRIED out to Him from the depths of my soul. "God, where are YOU??!! I have prayed with faith believing that You would show up and show off!! You said in Your Word, BY HIS STRIPES WE ARE HEALED!! Why haven't You healed my mother??! You said that You would never leave me nor forsake me and I don't see You anywhere!! WHERE ARE YOU???!!!"
I have to tell you the entire time I was crying out to Him, my phone kept ringing and I kept silencing it. After about 45 minutes of praying, yelling, and crying, I was able to drive on to my home. Again my phone rang but only this time I answered it. It was a friend from several years earlier that I kinda lost contact with. I answered the phone and the first words out of her mouth were, "Roxanne, this is Linda. God told me to call you." I kid you not. Those were her EXACT words. I didn't even really hear them. I had new ears to tell ALL of my problems to and I didn't miss the opportunity. It wasn't until later that night when I was in my bed praying and crying and feeling sorry for myself because I didn't have an earthly momma anymore that I heard these words...
I told God how I felt so let down by Him and asking Him why, when I needed Him the most, He was nowhere to be found. This is what I heard from God - so loudly that it could have been an audible voice but I am not sure.
God said, "Roxanne, I am God all by myself. I was there the entire time. I even called you on the phone!"
I just started crying and repenting asking Him to forgive my selfishness and self-centeredness. In the midst of my greatest pain, God was there all the time holding me and giving me the strength to breathe.
I know He heard every single one of my prayers and caught every single one of my tears.
He is God and He is Holy! He deserves our utmost respect and adoration. I had to learn this lesson in a hard time in my life.
I praise Him and I thank Him for His faithfulness, and unconditional love!
I'm a Leviticus lover too! About being mad at God...I've learned to simply take it to God, it's just between Him and me. And when I verbalize it I find I don't really believe it cause I know Him too well, He's right. It simply allows me to put my anger somewhere and release it when I don't understand my crazy feelings. After I've expressed myself it diffuses because I imagine He's laughing and I can feel Him say "Darling, I'll help you sort this out". I just want the truth cause it set's me free.
(You don't need a cuss word, Sometimes all I say is "Uh! God! What!)
Amen!!! Reverence has been something that a friend and I had been discussing recently...And I have been trying to figure out how to explain that to my 9 yr old daughter.
Thanks 3girls mom for your comment about manners.
Melissa,
This very thing has been heavy on my heart lately, though I would never have been able to put it into the perfect words as you have done. As much as I'd love to be, I am not a deep thinker and have to pray everyday, as I get into the Word, for God to "make me smarter than I really am." :) Thank you for expressing yourself so well.
Blessings,
Kelli
Bravo, Melissa!
Just yesterday, I found this which may be of interest to you (and the other siestas):
http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2008/august/13.30.html
It's an article from Christianity Today about a church that observed the Levitical laws for one month.
My goodness, I thought Beth was writing that until I got to the bottom! I arrived in SAN today and have just gotten into my room. I was in here by myself reading that and wanting to stand up and shout,"Preach it"!
When I was younger and would get mad at my parents, there was a line you did not cross! I think that we have to remember that with God. Of course, we all have emotions and we can take them to God, but respectfully. That is with any relationship that we have. We have to respect God for who he is and respect others, for He created them! I believe that we need to also remind ourselves when we are feeling that way, we need to TRUST him!
Thanks for the reminder, Melizza. We want to live in freedom but also remembering that our sin is serious!
Lord, you are holy! We thank you Lord that we are able to come to you through your son Jesus, the One and Only. Help us to always remember, that you are worthy of our praise in all our circumstances. We want to trust in you Lord and Believe that you can do what you say you can do! Thank you, God, for being Holy and for loving me! and all my siestas!
Thanks again Melizza. Great Word!
I needed that~!
Thank you so much for this. It's an answer to prayer.
Melissa, thanks for your words. That is some deep stuff. The "authentic" life of which you speak has been a hot button issue in and around me lately, and I really appreciate you bringing the word as you do! That's all. (:
This was excellent. Rachel was spot on as well. I don't think it is totally just your generation that has gotten away from reverence for God. I think all of us suffer from thinking that we are entitled to an easy ride, and then blaming God when we don't get our way.
I am just glad we don't have to follow Levitical dietary laws.....
Jill S
Tara, that article in Christianity Today is what got me itching to read Leviticus!
I really appreciate this post. I think that you are correct....this is something our generation struggles with far more than our mom's generation. I also think that you're correct that we generally think it's okay to say those things because we're "just being real," but in that moment of being real, we forget the sovereignty of God. He deserves much more reverance. He is our friend, but He is our God. Big stuff.
I remember in the BBC video of Anne of Green Gables, Marilla at one point says "To despair is to turn your back on God." She says it with such conviction and reverance that I can hear her say it when I'm getting more mopey than need be.
Wow, Melissa! Thanks so much for sharing what God's been talking with you about. Because I recently hashed out some anger with God, that was the point that caught me. As someone who is afraid of anger, it took me a long time to acknowledge that I was having that emotion against my Lord because of the circumstances I am experiencing. I was embarrassed to have such strong emotion and afraid of revealing it, even though I know full well how much He loves me regardless of my emotional state. Through a worship/prayer service during a youth servant week, God helped me see how my anger was a barrier to His love for me. I had to confess the anger out loud, acknowledge His sovereignty and plans to prosper rather than harm me, and finally accept His mercy and grace. I'm free from that anger now!!
To say "I am so angry with You, Lord" was not a "ticked off" passing statement -- you're right, the casual rant doesn't begin to reverence God's holiness. But for those of us (older :-) who struggle to be real, we have to learn to express the deepest pain even as it contrasts with God's holiness. To be freely myself, with God's full acceptance -- that is a wonderful gift.
amen.
"grace should never cause us to feel some sort of stagnant peace with our sin"- that quote is going in the front of my Bible.
Bless you, precious child of God!
Amen and Amen! I have a feeling when some of us get to heaven we are gonna behold His majesty and say "You know what... Never mind"!!! Or most likely just think it as we fall on our faces! I can't wait to fall on my face! Love you all. Have fun this week end, I have to wait for the Fiesta in Heaven!
Judy
Karen E- I appreciate your post so much. Your perspective is definitely why I tried to be so careful to explain this as a very thin line issue, because it is so important to be able to pour our hearts to God about deeply painful issues in our hearts.
Much Love to you Siesta.
I agree with you...one thing that makes me go, "Hmmm?" when people are going through a "Job" period... Is like Job, they think they have the authority or right to question their maker...I personally??? acknowledge God's sovereignty in the fact that He is almighty and we are not... and thus He NEVER has to tell us what He is thinking nor why He does anything/nothing...He doesn't answer to us! But that is the one thing that most people seem to expect...Him to answer to us. Now, don't get me wrong ...I too would like some answers...and I don't think He will or does withhold anything from us just because He can...That is not the God I know. But in no way will I demand answers or expect to be able to ever demand them. *smiles* And that's "keeping it real"
Melissa,
Your thoughts concerning how we/others speak out about God...is scary for He is Holy, and I'm not sure that our world today, is much different than 2,000 plus years ago. Lots of grumbling, and not enough grattitude!
Blessings,
Yolanda
Somewhere, we totally changed "the fear of the Lord" to the "respect for the Lord" which is not an entirely good thing.
People nowadays have neither fear nor respect for God.
I know that as Christians we do not face condemnation in Hell, but I sure He meant something when He said that the fear of the Lord is the beginninf of wisdom.
Dear, sweet Melissa, you can sure teach a Word! Thank you SO much for sharing and reminding us of God's holiness today! It ties in so perfectly with something I've been spending some time on recently in Jeremiah. I was fascinated with his dialogues with God.
I could ramble here, but I won't! :) I'll just say AMEN Siesta!!!
Blessings
Michelle
Wow. I thought this was written by Beth...then I read your name at the bottom. Very convicting. Especially since I've been stumped in Leviticus, hard to make myself hash through it, for 2 months now (I can cruise through the new testament easily). Thanks for showing its palatability in a whole new light.
I also really loved your comments on our generation...so right-on, and so good to hear from a leader within ministry. Many ministry leaders I've been in contact with lately were the ones who were "ticked off at God"...to put it mildly. And I've also been guilty of such haphazard comments. Thanks, Melissa. Good reality check. I needed that today.
Melissa,
I love this post if only for the Word count. Printed out how many pages do you think it would be?
I have had my Names of God study on hyatus over at my blog the last few weeks, but have been known to post so many words that it takes days for some to read through!
Leviticus has more meaning for me each time I approach it. I really appreciate the "simple" depth of insights that you shared in this post! Word On - Siesta, Word On!
Blessings.
Melissa- Wow! This is amazing...you are a powerful teacher and writer...and thank you for these words.
Though I haven't expressed it crassly, I have told many people in my life that I was so frustrated at God, etc. and this really made me think about that and His Holiness. So thank you.
Melissa,
Thank you for sharing what God is teaching you through His Word. He has been dealing with me about his sovereignty lately as well. I have had to simplify it for myself like this...
God is God. I am not. He sees the "big picture" and knows how everything I am going through now is going to affect me and countless others now and in the future. I have to know and trust that He is in control and He really is working everything out for my good (while working things out for everyone else's good too! WOW!) -- whether it is the "good" I'd like to see or another "good" He has in mind!
Your mom describes it something like "each 'NO' means there is a 'greater YES'". (I'm sure I butchered that. Please forgive me!)
I'm so thankful He is God. He has the end worked out from the beginning, and I take a lot of comfort from that fact!
Melissa,
I love your enthusiasm, but your posts are too long for me to work thru! It seems like you are writing a thesis or something. Please simplify future posts for us simpletons!
Love your passion for God's Word... keep it fresh!
Melissa, you are absolutely brilliant! Please don't think I am trying to flatter you either, I REALLY mean it. I say brilliant, because you took something that has been on my mind about our generation and was able to articulate it into words in a way I, for the life of me, couldn't. I LOVE THIS! I am so printing it out and keeping it. Thank you for taking the time to type what God has placed on your mind, I am so honored to be part of your generation and to be your sister in Christ. Love you girl!
“Sometimes you need to comfort the afflicted, but other times you need to afflict the comforted.”
Oh, Melissa - your post was wonderful. Words my "too comfortable" heart needed to hear. He is the Holy One of Israel and there is no other. A great word of caution to find that balance between being real and reverent. We can be both... completely real and honest while reverencing our Maker...the One who gives us each breath we have to breathe.
I just love these words and will be reading Leviticus soon.
Thank You!!
Although I don't attend a church where "thee" and "thou" are used, I must say I haven't experienced the type of behavior you wrote of. And I'm thankful for it. I don't think I could stomach it if I did.
I think it's okay to express our questions, anger, confusion, etc., in a humble and respectful manner as one desperately seeking God, as I think your blog asserts. But the other way makes me very sad. Sort of like calling God "Dude."
Thank you for this blog, Melissa. May His holy Name always be reverenced.
Whoa!! I have read this 3 times now. I tell ya..it speaks deeply to me Melissa. Thank you. I'm passing this along to a seminary student at Emory.
Have a wonderful evening! Hopefully see you in SA.
Hugs,
Fran
The first words that come to mind...WOW! You really hit the nail on the head with that one. I teach in youth and there are alot of 20 somethings around a lot and I have heard this type of talk as well and they have the attitude of, "Well, I'm just keeping it real", just like you said. I guess because I tend to be from more of your mom's era I was not comfortable with it at all, but couldn't put words or feelings to what it really was. You did it so well! Thanks for sharing, it was great.
Thank you.
Thanks for sharing, Melissa. The last time I read Leviticus, I too was stunned at how applicable it was. God is holy and we, as his people, are to be holy too.
Can't wait to see you in SA--you are coming, RIGHT?
Joanne
Wow! That certainly gives my mind some food for thought!
Thanks,
Debbie
Boiling Springs SC
That is a GOOD WORD right there. Thanks, Melissa. This post hit home with me in about twenty different ways.
"...but I do fear that our crass expressions may expose our disrespect for an almighty God more than they expose our personal authenticity."
Amen, Melissa.
One of my go to verses on this line of thinking - especially when dealing with life when it doesn't go as planned - is that of Job 6:10 "But it is still my consolation,and I rejoice in unsparing pain,that I have not denied the words of the Holy One." (NASB)
When I can't comprehend His ways, often the only comfort I have is in knowing I didn't defame His Holy Name on account of it.
I LOVE your manifestos. Keep bringing it!
Thanks Melisa for carrying on the tradition of following hard after God. Erwin McManus was saying its alittle like when you look out the window of your car when your going 65 mph and all the trees look blurry. But when you look at the car next to you traveling the same speed you can look at the person inside and they are not blurry. god is moving and we need to chase after him thru prayer,serving,and
study, in order to see him clearly.
This comment has been removed by the author.
You know, Beth has mentioned on more than one occasion that you have challenged her in many areas in life....I bet Bible study is no exception to this!! I am sure between you, Beth and Amanda (the Moore girls), you all have some real conversations about God's Word, life and how God's Word applies to life.
I don't know if this is appropriate or not, but when I am waiting on God's word or direction, I do get "ticked off" at him, BUT it is for making ME be patient and humble to receive what I am supposed to receive. Life is not a pretty journey, it is what we make of it that makes the journey worth while. I truly believe being "ticked off" at God is quite natural (a human condition, for lack of a better term) because we are humans. BUT, as we mature in Christ and God's Word, we discover it is OK to be "ticked off" at God....just make sure that feeling is put into perspective. I also believe that being "ticked off" at God is a "touchie feelie" kind of way to approach God....AND I am not into the "touchie feelie" kind of way to approach Him. I prefer the "fully conscience" and "understanding the concept" approach to God. "Touchie feelie" is scary to me, so I prefer the "thinking and feeling good about what I am understanding" approach to God. NO, I do not understand everything, but I am not supposed to either, so understanding the principles to live by while being tested by God is important to me! As with Job, he understood the principles of God and stood by them in life. When his hour (or hour(s) as the case was) came, he endured and stood strongly on the promises of God.
Thanks so much for the thought-provoking entry today. Your family is truly blessed with words!!! Beth, Amanda and you share your gifts unashamedly and are wonderful to read!!
Melissa you GO GIRL! Tell it like the Lord Loves It!
I was sharing the same sentiment with a friend today. Our words and actions seem to be in contradiction to our words - dare we be viewed as hypocrites to the Lord! In our attempt to be "authentic" and "real" we mistakenly give attention and "glory" to Satan and not the praise deserving God for his mercy. Aren't we called to praise him for tribulation? We risk playing god to God by showing our wrath and anger. That is plan dangerous! Thank you so much for speaking a word over all of us - you are your Mama's and God's girl!
I will sit and read an hour or more on a fictional book, but how often do I sit and read the Bible for so long? I get it!
Also, I must go back and read Leviticus. All I can remember is icky stuff about scabs and oozing and such. (Or is that Numbers?):o)
Thank you for the reverance reminder. Too many times I act as if I have an option to obey Him. I needed to hear what you had to say.
Melissa,
WOW - very powerful words. Thank you for sharing this with us - and sharing yourself too :-)
Have to confess, I was not quite concentrating at the end, as my mind went off on a side thought...which is:
What amazing and power women of God your mother has raised, I sit here at my computer, pondering what the future will hold in store for both you and Amanda and how our Awesome Lord will work though you too to bring Glory to his name. The thought of this is bringing tears to my eyes.
Praise His wonderful name!
Linda
Melissa...
This was exactly what I needed today! Thank you so much...
My own feeling is that disrespect is so ingrained into society today that many people don't even recognize it for what it is. But I agree that we need to revere our God with our whole lives, not with just our "church face" -- and I know that I for one, need that reminder every now and again.
Thank you again!! Hope you have a blessed week!
Staci
Such wisdom at such a young age. Beth you are so blessed to have daughters who are wise beyond their years in spiritual matters. Melissa, thank you for putting some perpective on the Holiness of our mighty God and the reverance by which we should approach the throne.You young spirits can teach us more seasoned spirits any time. God Bless you sister
I wish I could give you a great big southern hug right now, thanks just doesn't say enough WOW !!!
Sweetly
fs
Wow.
Thank you for that Melissa. I've been teetering back and forth on the whole is it even right to be angry with God. When He's done so many good things for me. This one thing that happened, hurts. When you said that He knows that we're angry with him and we should confess that anger, it hits home. I guess I can't really hide things from God, huh.
Melissa - I am of your mother's generation and I can only say WOW!
"I believe that when we know in full, we will declare God just and true, and that perhaps we will wish that we hadn’t been so quick to condemn Him for all our earthly trials."
You speak these words to the heart.
God Bless,
Nancy
In a thousand different ways and for the thousand varied life experiences I've lived, never have I been mad at God or questioned his goodness in my life. Indeed, I've harbored questions, but I've always had a healthy respect for the mystery that surrounds God and for allowing him to simply...
be God.
Maybe it takes years to come to these conclusions, and for sure, I've lived some years! But even in my dark night of the soul, the hugeness of my God was enough to warrant my surrender (at least via my words). My actions, perhaps, voiced different.
For me (and let me write that again, for me...) we've become too casual in our worship and thinking of God. It's an issue we deal with on a fairly regular basis at our church. Like you, I'm not sure where the perfect answer lies, but I have a hunch it comes back to revering and to keeping the sacred things of God as such...
sacred and holy and set apart for extraordinary kingdom significance.
May God grant me the grace and wisdom and love (always love, for there is so much of it lacking in me) when bearing witness to the majesty and splendor of his name. This is my humble and abiding prayer for always.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Melissa. You have a great mind, with, I suspect, a heart to match.
peace~elaine
I'm just going to say 'amen,' b/c nothing else needs to be said!
I agree with you on this and will throw in a few more cents.
I do believe there is a HUGE difference between confessing the sin of anger to God (agreeing with Him that it is wrong and viewing it as such) and simply just being angry at Him and letting Him know it. We aren't to overcome evil with evil. We are to overcome evil with good. Choosing to sin to deal with a problem is never going to bring pleasing or lasting fruit and IT IS a sin to be disrespectful towards the Lord. As God would say,"Try offering that to your governor" (Malachi 1:8) Being "real" is of no value if we aren't aiming for holiness. I tell the ladies in prison ministry all the time that if they aren't interested in holiness then they aren't really interested in God b/c the path towards the Lord always intersects with holiness. And getting God to get on board with our sin isn't going to cut it. There is never a good enough reason to defame God (and I believe that is what we do if we belittle Him with our words and emotions). We are called NOT to defame His Name (Lev. 21:6) b/c the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who miss uses His Name (Ex. 20:7) If we want to walk with God then we need to call sin sin. For how can two walk together unless they are in agreement?
I often ponder the awesome truth of how God, and God alone, can be perfect in love, and also perfect in holiness. Just.
Your post made me think of Nicole Nordeman's song, Tremble.
If you don't know it... the lyrics are wonderful!
How refreshing. I sometimes struggle with our desire as Christians to have it "easy" and to have God as the fairy godfather in heaven handing out blessings.
Life is hard, but God is good does not mean we won't suffer, or be called to do the tough things.
Thanks so much for the insight and teaching.
izh
Your posts are always such a blessing!! I am amazed at the wisdom God has given you at your young age! Praise Him!! Thank you for your courage to share your heart and for your transparency in doing so. Thank you for challenging me in the everyday life attitudes....to examine my heart.
Blessings to you....pray for those of us here in North FL as 'Fay' heads our way!
How do I send your post to my 22yo daughter? She has a genuine desire for authenticity also but is having to "flesh" out her faith in the military and in another country! Bless your studies! (I will forward the blog site to her!)
Bless you, child ... you blow me away with your discernment! Stay passionate about the Word ... and keep writing. God is delighted with your words.
I teach high school and that generation has a much more "relaxed" attitude toward God. I was caught off guard by a t-shirt a student was wearing. It said "Jesus is my Homeboy." I wanted to scream "Jesus is NOT your homeboy. He is the living Son of the Almight God."...
As society has become more "casual" it has spilled over into our attitude toward God. We approach Him too casually sometime.
I have been reading this blog for a long time and am always inspired and blessed. Today is the first time I have commented. Melissa, you have spoken a powerful word to the "siestas". God is causing many believers to define reverence in our relationship with Him. Reverence looks like many things, not limited to devotion, commitment, steadfastness and full of faith. We can fully share our hearts with our Abba Father, but rarely are those thougts appropriate to be shared with others. It reminds me of husband bashing which seems so common and accepted. If one isn't disciplined enough to not bash their spouse how could they possibly be disciplined enough to not "bash" God. It all comes down to "authentic" relationship with God.
I thouroughly enjoy and look forward to visiting with Beth, Amanda and Melissa on the blog. Keep it up!
PS Beth's fall semester Bible Study sounds like a dream come true. Will there be an online opprotunity to participate? I would hate to have to wait a couple of years for a published version. We are all in need of some "foundational" teaching on Bible Study. Thanks Melissa for sharing a little of your process.
Your post was very insightful! It brings up something that I have thought about alot. As Christian parents we raise our little ones to know Jesus as friend and God as our loving father you can come to anytime, with anything. That is good--very good, but I think in doing so we tend to lose a little of the reverence that is due our holy, awesome, majestic God. I think we need to work at keeping both familiarity and reverence in their proper place in our relationship with Him.
Melissa,
Your post is inspired. This has been a very challenging summer for me in many painful ways. At times His Presence blew into my being and filled me with inexplainable hope. Other times I felt forsaken, alone, and angry. Thank you for reminding me that we can "pour out your hearts before God; He is a refuge for us," and God is dangerous because He is HOLY. I take Him too casually, too often. I forget there should be a yield sign between my thoughts and my mouth, even with God.
Thank you, thank you. I love your scholarly writing style (I'm a Wheaton alumn too), but more importantly, I love your heart for God.
Bless you.
What a great post Melissa!
It brings to my mind the word BALANCE. Without a doubt, that is one of the most difficult concepts for me to learn in many areas of my life.
Anger/reverence is no different. I remember the day that I heard someone say that it was ok to be angry with God. That God would not turn me away if I came to Him in anger. I am 40 years old, and I had never heard that until 7 years ago. I WAS angry with God. Yes, looking back, my sin was the issue, not Him, but at that time, I didn't know that. All I knew was that I was angry. I prayed to Him in my anger and He and I have since had an incredible journey together.
But I also agree that we are to speak with reverence about our Holy God.
Yes, He can take our anger and yes, He wants us to be authentic and real, but He also wants our respect and our humble submission to His Holiness.
I love to have my thinking challenged. It was today thanks to your post.
I so wish I could be with all of you siestas in San Antonio this weekend! I bought tickets over a year ago, but sent them back a few weeks ago due to having to make some difficult financial choices. Make sure you all have plenty of extra fun for me!
"It's in my sacrifice where He meets me." I read this once and always remembered it. I thought about it when I was reading your post. Thanks for the reminder!
The Journey Continues ~
Oh Precious Melissa!!!!!
YOU TRULY HAVE A CALLING ON YOUR LIFE TO MINISTER!!! Asking your mom several years ago " How do I get what you've got?"
Well sweets, YOU GOT IT!!!!
Looking forward to reading more and more from you and your heartfelt love for JESUS!
With "Heaven Bound" Blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com
Okay so I am going to have to print this out and read it a few more times, you have a real gift for uncovering the word. I hope one day to be ordering your bible study or book.
The generation thing is such a great conversation. It is tricky and hard to see the lines sometimes. I think we can bridge the gap with respect. I think sometimes we have to adjust to reach younger generations but must at all cost teach respect for our Lord.
Your words are incredibly insightful. My walk through grief has put me into contact with many who are flippant about God's ways. I'm asking His forgiveness for times I've been that way myself.
Your words were encouraging and remind me to speak God's praises and hold His Holy name high whenever I have the opportunity.
Thanks sis
Thank you so much Melissa for your words of wisdom. I am a teacher and although I understand that need for authenticity among both young (and us that are closer to your mom's age!), I cringe when I see the lack of boundaries it can bring on. I doubley (is that a word?) cringe when it is directed at God. Please keep sharing what you glean as you study Melissa! God bless you and yours.
Wow......thank you!
I can honestly say that I had no idea Leviticus held so much meat for our lives today.
Thank you for reminding me to keep it real in a way that displays a constant state of reverence for my God.
Melissa,
This post was spot on. Thank you for sharing these words. They will bear much fruit, I am sure of it!
See you in San Antonio!
Teri
Melissa,
Thank you for sharing so candidly and yet lovingly. I am a little older than you yet I too have see this to be true and have excused it in my own life in earlier years of my Christian Walk. After Jesus brought me from the deepest pit of my life; my "relationship" with Him will never be the same. I am not angry any more and have repented to Him even of the times when I have gotten so angry just to Him. He never deserves this from His children, but like any loving parent, he is patient and merciful. After what He did for me, though, I could never speak to Him or about Him the same way again. You are exactly right on about this.I have never really understood the whole point of Leviticus and you made it simple to understand.
You and your husband are beautiful and handsome and you look happy together.
Blessings to You,
Amanda Gattis
Wow!!! I am printing it out, going to read it again and comment a little later!
All I can say right now is Wow! Need to fully take it in so I'll be back in a bit!
Thank you for this word! Lately I find the cry of my heart to simply be "Lord have mercy upon us." And I am so thankful for his mercy and lovingkindness toward us.
Melissa, you've made me hungry for God's word.
Well done.
(And I couldn't agree more, by the way. Our generation is too flippant about God's majesty at times, I fear.)
WOW - I REALLY needed this - really needed it! Thank you! Sunshine
Incredible post. Thank you for taking the time to write it. Thank you.
Melissa~
Thanks for sharing and reminding us of so many things. You have such a God given gift for explaining the Word. His Word gives me goosebumps too!
He who has promised is faithful! Praise You Father because You alone are worthy of our praise, You are Holy!
Help me to never utter any words against You. You are Holy, Holy, Holy and I am so in love with You Jesus!
Melissa, thanks for sharing about reading and studying Lev., and please share more anytime!
Love ya,
Lori in SW MO
Melissa,
Very well said. Thank you for sharing such deep and precious thoughts.
I have noticed that so many times we as believers act like angry little toddlers, throwing fits at the parent who is lovingly caring for them and teaching them important valuable lessons. Oh how much we would learn if we would repent and listen to our Father. He is a good listen, teacher, counselor and friend. He truly has our best interests in mine. He wants us to grow up to look just like him.
Melissa...GIRL--You've got a gift...you need to write a book or a study!!! Better get on that before some sweet little Fitzpatricks pop into the picture!!! Thanks for sharing...
HI!
My comment isn't strictly related to this particular post, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this blog, and how encouraged I am by what I read here.
I was "introduced" to Beth's Bible studies by my sister. She did one, and it created a thirst for God in her that I had never seen in her before. She now LOVES Bible studies by many different teachers, and has even been a BSF leader herself. But Beth is still her favorite :)
I am something of a "newbie" to Beth's studies, having only done Breaking Free and the Daniel study. Now, I am in the midst of Believing God~just did session 3 with my sisters in Christ from my church tonight, and I am SO loving this study!! God is all ready using this to change my heart and my attitude about many aspects of my life. I am so thankful to Him for what He is doing in my heart, and in my life, and I offer my thanks to Beth and all of the LPM staff for being willing vessels to be used of God.
In His Love,
Blessed Beyond Measure
It's 3 1/2 pages printed out. Single-spaced. I've got it right here on my desk :)
Great stuff!!
Cindy
Melissa! This is SUCH a timely message for me as I am learning this myself. To be holy as he is holy and really learning what that looks like, then modeling it for my high school girls. It's so hard!
I so pray that we would be a set apart generation for His namesake!
Can't wait for this fall and bible study! I know it is going to be awesome with you and your mom!
See you in SA!
Lindsee
Melissa:
You post is right on and well said. I totally agree with all that you said. I also found it very convicting and challenging. Kim B. in AZ.
Amen!
I just finished reading this blog in it's entirety. It took me about a week. I have laughed (Living Fruits, and the eyelashes *Ya'll*), and cried (Sunny) and every emotion in between with babies and weddings, etc. I even baked the thin apple tart!
I have led just about every Beth Moore bible study, and when we moved to Brenham, Tx three years ago, I decided to venture out to some other bible teachers/studies. There have been some good ones, some not so good ones and some somewhere between. But reading this blog has been like catching up with old friends.
I was thrilled to be able to purchase a ticket to the San Antonio conference at this late date, but sad I came on too late to sigh up for the *siestas* meeting.
You see for years, I have been wanting a *retake* photo with Beth. Some years ago, my sweet friend and I attended the taping of The Patriarchs. (You can see me and my sweet friend in the first video...I'm the brown haired girl with black rim glasses). At the end of the taping, Beth stood and waited to hug the necks of what seemed to be thousands of ladies. I was one of those. So thrilled to meet Beth, thank her, and have my picture made with my bible teacher. I thought it would be so fun to show the girls back home. --- I eagerly opened my photo envelope from the one hour processing, to discover ... *GASP*HORROR*SHOCK*...I had the goofiest look on my face you can imagine! And my friend was smiling so big, she looked like she was in a wind tunnel! (Beth looked beautiful, of course). My two daughters got the biggest kick out of it. Whenever we need a good laugh, they say "Hey Mom...do your Beth Moore smile!" It's a side splitter every time!
I am looking forward to what God has in store this weekend! He deserves our greatest reverence, and isn't He so much fun!? Only God...so majestic, and such a blast.
I love Him...but I want to love Him more. I bet you do, too.
Christi
Melissa, I LOVE the quote from the song about treading reverently on holy ground. Thank you for putting a fire in my belly for God's holiness. You actually made me want to go study Leviticus! I am going through an extraordinarily difficult time right now and have only made it thus far by clinging to the grace of God and believing His promises and His character. Now we see in a mirror dimly... I am so glad that His plan is perfect and that He sees the whole picture. You have offered my great encouragement. May God richly bless you, Jillian
you go girl, i agree! i almost feel like, He is MY God, and in private, I can say how I really feel, but when I hear people totally disrespecting Him, I want to defend Him! (as if He needs me to defend HIM!)
Thank you. That was so wonderful to read; what a gift you have to write.
Wow, that message was awesome! I just came home from church and I'm so excited, because my Pastor preached exactly on what you posted. I can't even begin to explain it. All I know is the Lord spoke to me tonight in church and confirmed it on your blog. He is Amazing. Thank you and God Bless you.
Rachel
Wow. Thanks, Melissa. I think you formed your words well to remind us of the holiness of our God. It is a curious thing that we are allowed, no, invited to even come close to Him. It's a remarkable gift. One that I don't want to be ignorant of.
I've been doing a word study on worship this week. We have diminished its meaning by our own experience or lack of it. We base "how good worship was" on the elements of worship (song, preaching, etc.) Instead, let us remember first the object of our worship. Remembering as you say, His "otherness."
Thanks again for this lesson from Leviticus
Thank you - beautifully written and clearly inspired by Him.
Last night my husband and I chose to trust God in a situation instead of being angry with him. We had to identify that the people involved are under his authority and his timing, just like I am. It will get done only in his timing. I feel much better when I realize it's not about me.
Help Siestas for San Antonio LPL Event !
Our son is graduating from high school on that Saturday, 23rd, and God changed that whole weekend up for us. I had to send my tickets back for a refund. We still plan on coming to San Antonio for a few days, but not that Friday. We are coming in on Saturday afternoon after the graduation ceremonies are completed, instead. However, if anyone needs a room for Friday night and can check out by noon on Saturday, I have a room reserved and paid for and it is a NON refundable rate that I made the reservations for many months ago.It is at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the Riverwalk, 111 Pecan Street East. I contacted the hotel and they said I could, however, let someone use our room as an “accompaniment” in our place. Either way, no one will be in that beautiful room. It has 2 Queen Size beds and non smoking of course. The price of the room is $144.00 + 6.75% tax (24.12) + 23.75 for parking in their garage. Total is $ 191.87. If four ladies need a room and are going to be leaving after the conference to go home, this would be perfect. It works out to be $ 47.96 pp. My name is Cindi Humphrey. My info is below. Home 281-320-8802 Cell 281-804-3626 or anyone can call or E-mail me about it. Post a comment. Unsubscribe to comments on this post. Posted by belovedptw to The LPM Blog at August 18, 2008 3:17 PM
His Holiness...we only have a tiny glimpse of that, don't we? Our eyes shall behold Him in all of His Glory one day and we will totally be undone.
"Let all the earth keep silent."
For The LORD is in His Holy
"temple."
Melissa-Thank you!! Thank you for your honesty and your openness in sharing what God is revealing to you through His Word. I am re-reading your post for the second time because I want to get all of it inside,deep inside.
I am of your mother's generation but I see the too familiar attitude with God in our generation also. I pray that God will always have someone like you whom He can use to remind us when we step into that dangerous place between familiar and reverence for a Holy God.
It is so awesome to get to watch and learn from the growth that God is doing in you. I know your mama is so proud! Thanks again, GREAT WORD!!
God is so utterly amazing! When I sat down this morning and saw that Melissa had written this post, the thought raced through my mind that "I think maybe Melissa went to Moody," but I couldn't remember for sure. Within seconds of reading, you clarified my memory! The timing of this is ironic because just hours ago I arrived home from taking our firstborn off to college -- Moody!! What a blessed day we spent there with him, ending with a beautiful service to dedicate our children to the Lord, and then what a blessing for me to read your words this morning! God knew I needed to get a glimpse today of what He's capable of doing with my very loved and missed young man. Many tears were shed as we stood in that auditorium, reminiscing on the short 18 years that God has entrusted him to my husband and me and pondering what God will do through him as he spreads his wings and flies off into adulthood. Praise God for His faithfulness!
Thank you so much for sharing. You should know that it took this post for me to leave my long-time lurking status behind and finally comment!
God bless all of you!
Jacki
Wow Melissa! Well said...Aaron must have had all kind of thoughts going on in his head when his sons were consumed by fire. Aaron knew when to shut up, something many of us need to remember. God does not need our opinion yet He listens to our thoughts. Mercy in action. Job's response after God's questions was to put His hand over his mouth too! I think I need to ponder this so I will shut up now.
I`m reading LMP blogg for about a month.I`m from Romania and I first heard about Beth Moore in 2001 when I first visited USA and participated on a Bible study.I really liked it very much and helped me.About this post..wow I have to admit that it really helped to reconcider my life, my words and atittude towards a HOLY God.A song that is really helping me in keeping my reverence for God is "God forbit" from Point of Grace.Thank you, Melissa..this blog is been reading in Romania too:)
Diana, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
What a lovely outpouring. Thank you. You are dead on with your remarks today. After I did Believing God, I read the OT in a WHOLE NEW way. Now I enjoy Sabbath and many other appointed times with God that I never even knew about before - there's alot of cool stuff in there. I also discovered that the OT and esp the first few books really reveal the character of WHO God is. What a great introduction to our God. Soooo amazing. Thanks for your exhortation! Anne
Wow! This is wild! Last night was my first night with Kay Arthur's "Lord Teach Me to Pray" and her first intro session was just on this! Awesome!
God is a Holy God.
Julie
GA
I needed to read this today. Thank you!
Melissa:)
I am blessed and glad to hear from you, I never thanked you for all those recipes in the Minter study-thankyou:)...This is much to think about, Melissa, I understand what you are saying about God's holiness, and that we need to have a reverential fear of Him. Not an unhealthy fear (He does love us), but a reverential fear. We need to be holy, because He is holy. Sin of any kind is serious, and this world laughs at it, and makes light of it, but it is serious. God wants us to mourn our sin and repent. I grew nonchalant, and it just about devasted me spiritually, but God is gracious and loving to discipline His own. It is good to be reminded to hold fast to our Hope. Yes, God is Just and True, He is. I don't want to cause anyone to stumble, Melissa, that would definitely devastate me! I want some circumspection, some sanity for crying out loud-He is sanity, so I go to Him-His Word. I want to always go to Him first. I don't want to spout something off in the heat of emotion, and regret it later. I want a correct view of Him. God has gifted you, and I pray that your life would always glorify Him. I am a mess, Melissa, I have dealt with some things in my life that have scarred me, and I know that God can make me completely whole. He is gracious to send me people like you who can help me keep things in proper perspective. I don't know you from Eve, and I don't know if I'll ever get to meet you this side of heaven (I hope I do get the chance-that's up to Him), but I want you to know that God has used you to bless me immeasurably-you and your family, and this ministry. Praise the Lord, Melissa, He is Good to us! (sorry for the long post!)
katiegfromtennessee
2 Cor. 1:3-4 (AMP)
not sure if this posted right, sending again...:)
Thank you Melissa! I have been trying to explain this to my college-age children and the message has fallen on deaf ears. I will be passing on your words of wisdom to them. This was an inspired explanation of what it really means to be "set apart"!
Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. Blessings for your day! Sandy
Melissa,
Thank you so much for sharing this timely message. This very same thing has been on my heart and mind for a while too. Probably because I have been reading Job during a difficult time in our family's life. The struggle hurts and sometimes I question what God is trying to teach me, but it is my hope that others see Him through my struggles - not my hurt or being "ticked off at God". I am somewhat between your generation and your Mom's - but it really makes me cringe sometimes when I hear those same statements you mentioned in your post. Almost as if we are trying to bring God down to our level and make Him the same as us instead of exalting Him as the Holy God that He is. When we accept that HE is GOD alone and we are merely human then we truly are "keeping it real".
Melissa,
My 10 year old daughter and I just went to a Mother/Daughter conf. teaching young girls her age to be strong in the LORD and teaching mothers how to get their daughter's hearts. The young lady (age 27) who taught the conf. always wore a veil over her head when she prayed. I thought that was BEAUTIFUL.
Honor and reverence for God! What a way to honor Him and remain humble before Him during prayer.
Kelly in Michigan
Amen! I can just imagine the smile on God's face as He nods your way and says, "Well said my faithful servant!"
Thanks for sharing!
AMEN Melissa!!!! There was a time in my life that I blamed God for everything bad that was happening to ME. Key word here...ME. My husband's mom and my mother were born on the same day, same year and get this, same name...spooky, I know. We were in the midst of planning a huge celebration for both of them for their 50th birthdays and very suddenly my mother-in-law passed away sitting on her couch at home of a heart attack. We were out with friends and by the time my mother found us my mother-in-law had been "gone" for a few hours. I can remember at the hospital when we first arrived the look on my father-in-laws face....horror!!! I refused to believe she was "gone". My father-in-law, my husband, myself and my mother went back to see her and I remember yelling at her to wake up and stop being stubborn. Obviously she did not wake up. In a split second our lives were completely changed and times terrible for a while and I blamed God for it all. I remember running our of the room and into the ER waiting room literally sobbing and yelling at God.. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME (here's that word again)!!!!!!! It took years for me to get over this and to see that God was the one holding us together during this terrible time. I have prayed so hard for His forgiveness for all these awful things I blamed Him for. He has forgiven me but I still to this day (it has been nine years) sometimes don't feel like I have forgiven myself. I was so consumed with ME that I couldn't see the big picture. God is good in all things, even when we don't see it.
I love the way God uses you to express such truths and revelations.
God Bless you Melissa.
Wow...that just about sums it up for me...thank you for writing this today...it expresses alot of the thoughts I have been thinking recently, and gives greater insight than I was able to come up with...I thank God for your family, and your willingness to share with others...I like the words to the song that says..."Lord, empty me of me so I can be filled with you...very convicting words...Sharon
Melissa - that was wonderfully challenging. Thank you for sharing. I have so much I would like to say, but I just can not find the words.
"Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshiped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:20-21
Blessed be the name of the Lord!!
to His glory,
rebecca in e.tx
Melissa
I totally agree with you! Our generation desires authenticity but sometimes, like you said, I feel it leads to disrespect. I am so thankful of recognizing God's amazing love and grace for our lives but let us not forget that HE is also a Holy and Just God who can not let sin go unpunished. I think the problem lies with us thinking that God's amazing grace and love entitles us to more when in reality it is way more than we deserve! We have to trust that even when circumstances don't seem good or right to us that God sees the whole picture and working all things for HIS purpose which is always good! I have learned from your Mom through the Psalms of Ascent Bible Study that at those times, when I don't understand, to fall flat on my face before my HOLY KING asking Him to just reveal Himself to me!!!!!
-Christy
PS. I love to read your posts. They are such an encouragement to me.
Thank you so much Melissa. I appreciate your heart for the heart of God. Deidra
You can’t even begin to know how often a friend at work and I have had this discussion over the last several weeks. Your words are genuine, sincere, and authentic and you are speaking right to our generations need for reverence toward our Savior! Thank you so much for writing out your thoughts of what God has taught you through reading Leviticus. Those thoughts needed to be made known so that we can grasp the true admiration and adoration we are to have for our amazing God! This comment would be too long if I went into all the truths going through my mind on this right now. I will just say this. I’m in complete and absolute agreement with you on this one!
Love, Amy in OK
We did a study on the attributes of God with our youth at church. Your post reminded me that God is equally all of his attributes at once: holy, but loving, but just, but omniscient...etc. How easy it is to take one part of God and magnify it and make our view of him totally out of balance. It goes to show how complex our God is and how totally deserving of our reverence, fear and respect.
Melissa I couldn't agree with you more. I think we all, as a body of believers, have lost very much of our holy fear and reverance of our holy and awesome God. This has bothered me for some time. Don't get me wrong, we are all guilty of it, but there is a rampant surge of bringing God down to our level and "being real" that I do not see in His Word, even in the New Testament where we come to know grace so beautifully. I don't want legalism, but I do think that we have crossed the line and are in danger of presenting "strange fire" before the Lord. Our God is a very orderly and exact God and has very specific ways that He has given for us to come before Him. Thanks for voicing the things that I have been feeling for a while.
I too thought your mom was writing this post. I praise God that He uses you mightily to share the word in such convicting way. A legacy for loving God, His word, His people is witnessed this day.
Very well said Melissa! You have a distinct writing voice and it is good. Your writing glorifies God.
Please pray for Sydney. I wrote on here about here last week. She is 6 years old and having her middle finger removed today. Pray that the cancer HAS NOT spread. If it has, there is nothing medicine can do. Although, we know that our great and mighty God can heal all things. Also, pray for her parents, Jenna and Grant.
Thank you so much!
Lisa in RL, IL
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amen! I think a part of this problem is because in our generation a lot more focus is placed on Jesus meek and mild and that because we might feel more comfortable with the God of grace, we sometimes opt to forget He is the GOD of gods, the Most High, the Holy One. The fact that Jesus makes a way for us to come before the throne is indeed the ONLY reason we dare to stand before our Holy God. That is why I love the stories of the Old Testament too, because it tells of how God reveals Himself as the Most Holy God He is and reminds me that eventhough I have access to His throne, He is still God, and that eventhough He is merciful and Jesus calls us friends, it does not make Him our "buddy".
I read your post and thought, "There it is again." I re-read Leviticus a few weeks ago because I was under conviction and that was one of the places God led me as He was dealing with my heart. I thought this of all books would hit me like scalding water, and instead I found it a joy to read as I saw God's provision for sin and His desire for us to be honest with Him. Leviticus reminds us that there is no aspect of our lives too intimate for God to address.
Concerning reverence, I've been reading some early Protestant writings for my dissertation and I've been surprised by the fact that these writers place so much emphasis on self-knowledge while ALWAYS tying it to the fear of God. Through Scripture, God reveals Himself as awesome and holy, and human nature as finite and sinful. How then can disrespect be "authentic"? All it proves it that I misunderstood myself as much as I misunderstood God's character.
My thanks to Beth and everyone at Living Proof. What a help you have been over the last couple of months!
Anne
Amazing. You cannot believe the timing of this expose'. God has been gently nudging me of my lack of reverence just this past week. He is amazing. And you, Melissa, are gifted.
Thank you for being obedient.
I read your post and thought, "There it is again." I re-read Leviticus a few weeks ago because I was under conviction and that was one of the places God led me as He was dealing with my heart. I thought this of all books would hit me like scalding water, and instead I found it a joy to read as I saw God's provision for sin and His desire for us to be honest with Him. Leviticus reminds us that there is no aspect of our lives too intimate for God to address.
Concerning reverence, I've been reading some early Protestant writings for my dissertation and I've been surprised by the fact that these writers place so much emphasis on self-knowledge while ALWAYS tying it to the fear of God. Through Scripture, God reveals Himself as awesome and holy, and human nature as finite and sinful. How then can disrespect be "authentic"? All it proves it that I misunderstood myself as much as I misunderstood God's character.
My thanks to Beth and everyone at Living Proof. What a help you have been over the last couple of months!
Anne
Thank you for some meaty stuff to mull over. I'll be pondering this post all day.
That was great, Melissa, thanks so much.
I think as someone who came to Christ later in life, in my early 20s, and who has a thick volume of sin-life as part of my biography, I haven't gotten to a place in my walk wiht God where I get angry with Him, or assume He is doing somehting to hurt me. I usually assume that the product of trials or difficult times is an result of my own sin.
But I have realized that, in the extreme, can be an ungodly view of trials as well. Jesus said of the blind man that no sin caused his estate, that God allowed it so He could be glorified. As much as it is good for me to review and see where my own sin has caused suffering, I do also need to work at realized that sometimes God just allows trials, and to trust Him, and trust that He has a goodness planned for me and wants to use my trials to glorify himself.
Thanks so much for the encouraging teaching today.
Melissa-
Thanks for this. Recently I read a blog which mentioned anger at God, and I had wondered about its word choice, too :) (although I do trust the author's heart as one who loves Jesus deeply).
I have a couple questions, however.
1. What about David? Some of the Psalms are angry, and even violent or offensive. He clearly didn't hold back his feelings from God, and he was a man after God's own heart.
2. What about relationship? I am only now (after a lifetime of faith, ministry and even Bible college like you) grasping that God wants a relationship with me. To talk with me. And so, that means honest communication. That means I'll tell my honest hurts and anger. My miscarriage a few years ago brought a confusion about God that I'd never had before. It rocked me, but I think my faith was deepened only because I was able to communicate with God exactly what I truly thought of His plans. :) I was hurt by God and even angry at Him, and I let Him know it. So my question: Isn't that what happens in a healthy relationship? Don't we have Jesus so that we can approach the throne in confidence?
3. Your distinction between public and private authenticity bothers me somewhat. I grew up in a pastor's home and often I was frustrated by the two worlds we balanced: the one in which we looked perfect,and the one in which we were truly ourselves. I just don't want this hypocrisy for my own kids (also being raised in a pastor's home). There just can't be a separation between my ministry face and my home face, if you know what I mean. I don't think this is what you're advocating, but it is a thin line, like you said. Sometimes my congregation benefits from knowing that my family struggles, too. Your thoughts?
I don't mean to disagree with you. I see both sides. I want to revere God deeply, and I can't even begin to grasp His holiness. But I also want to keep nothing back from Him, so that even my motives and thoughts match His. And sometimes that means, struggle honestly before Him.
My kids are all around me so I'm sure my thoughts are scrambled. (Oh, I used to be able to make intelligent sentences, all strung neatly together. :)) This is long, and if this isn't the place to reply, feel free to email me at amyestorms AT gmail DOT com.
Thanks so much. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Amy Storms
AMEN! I have had a hard time with hearing some even refer to God as "G" (short for God) a gererational thing I assume) and some taking being a friend of God into human friendship status. And every time I hear any thing like that something inside of me screams "NO!" I find it disrespectful to the God who laid down His life for me! A girl who worked at an Abortion clinic for 8yrs and lived a Bi-sexual lifestyle for 4 yrs. I mention this only because I KNOW where I was, and where He has brought me. And it wasn't easy I went kicking and screaming. But He came and rescued me. He lifted me up and out of so many pits! How I long to lay face down in His presence. I think maybe sometimes people don't realize from what He has saved them from. Maybe not having a past like mine, and forgetting that gratitude and reverance at least for me go hand in hand. Im most likely wrong but I am not a scholar. But when you realize that you are but dust, a girl of unclean lips from a people of unclean lips. (Isa 6:5) How can you be anything but reverent, grateful, ruined!
I am Grateful, I am Holy, I am Redeemed.
"Holy Holy Holy is the LORD God Almighty."
The God of the Universe saw me, He SAVED me!
It took me a while, but I finally finished reading your post. So glad I did - and that you put it all down. Thank you.
I definitely believe that too many people are too casual with God. I love being authentic and genuine (I recently just renamed my blog "Keeping It Real") but I struggle to complain to God because He is so sovereign and greatly to be trusted. So it's almost a breakthrough for me when I cry out my doubts and frustrations about His plans.
I always try to remember that He is Holy and I should treat Him as such.
Hi Melissa okay- wow...so much to say . I cancelled my time at the fiesta to participate in the JesusFilm/MiddleEast mission this fall. Many different circumstances brought the trip to a halt. Personally I have not been at my most studious or reverent to God. Today*** I know your message changes that. I know all things work together for His good will and purposes. I am excited for this bright moment to start from here.
Much gratitude to you all all LPM.
I praying for a mission somewhere soon.
Deirdre
Melissa, I know I have already commented on your post but I just had to hop back on and say this... I just read the article in Christianity Today that Tara mentioned and I was completely blown away by what the people had learned about God by the end of that study. It really jarred me, I wonder now if I really do GET how much grace God bestows on me everyday, or whether I really appreciate it or take it for granted, and how bout do I even really KNOW who my God really is? (that one really messes with me). So, it got me to thinking...how cool would it be if you did something similar-to what was done in that article-with us siestas?! I would love to go through something like that too, especially with a community of fellow sisters (or siestas...hint hint) in Christ...and with you as our fearless leader. (I say fearless, because you would have to be to voluntarily tackle the book of Leviticus! :) I Love you girl, and please know I will be ok if this never comes to fruition for the LPM blog community...I just thought I would mention what was on my mind...Keep your posts coming though, God is all over them!
Melissa,
I've really been mulling over your post. I read through it again this morning.
The part about being crass or colloquial with God hit me between the eyes this morning. Not because I deal with these particular issues... But, because I see so much of this in the lives of bereaved parents.
I have been very angry in the bereavement over my son - but not much of it directed at God. I had one moment where I desperately needed an answer to why a financial blessing had to be attached to his death... And I addressed it straight to God, through tears at a stoplight after leaving the attorney's office who handled our insurance claims. I held that check and asked, "God, how is Justin dying a part of you blessing us? It doesn't feel like a blessing."
Melissa, and I'm not even kidding about this, immediately the one constant Scripture I had prayed over my son's life played like a song in my head. Philippians 1:6 rolled across the floor of my mind and resounded off the walls and ceiling there. I could hear God clearly say, "The blessing is not the money, it is that Justin was complete in Christ they day he came home to heaven."
That settled it for me right there.
However, a few months ago - as I have been preparing myself to lead a group for grieving moms this fall - God revealed a wound in my heart I had never surrendered to Him. That scene from Steele Magnolias was the catalyst - the one where M'Lynne is in the cemetery running the full range of emotions in a few short minutes that grief invades your life with.
Tears of brokenness poured down my face and my daughter came over and gave me a hug. She said, "Momma...?"
I said, "Honey, I think maybe I haven't dealt with some anger I have toward God about Justin not being here."
She said, "Perhaps you should deal with Him about that."
I did. I confessed it and got it on the table right away. I needed Him to know that I never intended to get angry over this. As a matter of fact I tried hard not to have "too many" difficult emotions because I knew people were watching my response to my son's death. But, in it somehow I delayed some of those effects of grief. Because I was so sensitive to what He was showing me, even through a movie like Steele Magnolias, I confessed and immediately received the peace of God in my brokenness. I felt His love soothing my upset emotions and troubled mind. I believe that anger and some guilt I had over the last words my son and I spoke to each other were two of the final pieces I needed to fit into my grief puzzle.
You are right about that fine line - I believe the reality of authenticity comes to us when we place every aspect of our lives - our sin, our pain, our losses, our every breath against the backdrop of the cross and see what we are willing to lay down for our own shortcomings. Acknowledging those things that fall way short of God's standard and then allowing His forgiveness to penetrate our hearts and our souls frees us to do the unimaginably impossible without fear of becoming an offense before others or to our HOLY God.
I recently was reading a book that made me painfully aware of how often I pray like God already knows what I am going to say. (Because I've always been taught that He does, omniscience is "ALL-Knowing," right?)
I asked God, "Do you want me to pray to you like you don't know what I am going to say - like you are hearing about this for the first time?" His answer: "Yes, I delight to hear about things from your perspective and help you correct what needs to be corrected in you. How you pray reveals your heart toward me and others." These were not spoken words, they were... an impression of His response and desire for deeper relationship and more intimate communion with me. The point where deeper still became poignantly real for me.
He stopped being a bigger than life problem solver and became a trusted confidante and faithful friend - someone I see as having my best interest at heart. Am I tracking anywhere close to making sense here. This post has stirred up so much I probably should close and mull it over some more with God.
I guess my point is this, when I hear someone express their anger toward God over some something in their life I point them to Job. Though he had considerable reason to be angry with God, and may have been - he never openly defamed God over his own messy emotions. He spent 42 hours rebuking others for blaming God for his despair and sorting out the messiness of grief and loss with God to the point of resolution. God wants us to sort with Him. It is not about airing grievances or dirty laundry with God - it is about allowing an exchange between our hearts to take place. To revere His opinion so much I take my concerns, complaints and confessions to Him first and get His perspective on it before I share it with others.
I hope this is remotely close to making sense to you. I love your heart and your words have prompted great contemplation. BLessings sweet one. Word On!
This was so timely, I'm teaching the youth for a season at my church and this weeks lesson is close to your post. One of the points I plan to share with the youth is:
I feel like ________ (your absolute true feelings) but I know _________ because you say so in your word.
It has helped me alot to be able to say what I was feeling and search out a verse that shows the truth of it.
Maybe in public and private that could be the key, I feel but I also know!
Jenny
I don't really have anything to add... convicting. He has spoken to me so much recently about His holiness and what that means to me personally. This is just one more layer.
I did want to tell you that my daughter (7 yrs old) is reading Leviticus right now. I always look forward to what she gets out of her reading. Perhaps it will be as profound.
:)
~Donna (WayMoreHomemade)
AMEN!!! Thank you for this awesome message on relating to our Awesome God. To Him be the Glory!
MJ
As hard as that was to read, I have to say... Amen! Amen because I completly agree with you,.. Amen because I am completely convicted by what you said,.. Amen because it is the truth!
Fresh Waters for Dry and Weary Bones.
Amen, sister. This is your best blog post yet.
Have you seen this month's issue of Christianity Today? There's an article in there about a group of people at my church who decided to live Levitically for a month:
http://www.ctlibrary.com/ct/2008/august/13.30.html
Wow. Thanks, Melissa, for your thoughts and insight. It was just what I needed to hear. May the Lord continue to bless you in your study of His Word!
Lauren!!! I can't believe you go to Park Street Church! Cool! That article was what made me want to re-read Leviticus. It was very interesting! Were you one the 21?
Wow Melissa - you are wise beyond your years....God-given wisdom and insight. As a woman who is more in your mom's generation - but raising kids 13-21 - who are younger than you - I often am very troubled with this "glibness" at times in our attitude toward our King! Often the casualness and glibness grieves my heart. Indeed, Jesus is lover of our souls, grace giver, etc. but He is also totally other, Holy, Holy, Holy and deserves to be acknowledged with the awe and respect He is so worthy of!
Thank you for sharing such wise words!
Melissa,
Thanks for this word. I was reminded as I read it about some Godly counsel I was given years ago as a new bride. Two friends were discussing how and when to speak about their husbands' failings. The general rule was "if you can't speak respectfully about him to others, then don't speak it." Not that they didn't share hurts and struggles appropriately and with close friends. But don't go around telling everyone your husband's faults and how mad you are at him. Think of the hurt you would feel if he did the same to you.
And what are we as Christians? BRIDES of Christ! We do well to speak of our Lord with even greater respect. Tell HIM of your anger and issues, but keep speak respectfully about Him to others. He died to provide me the ability to speak to Him intimately. I do not want to bring dishonor to His glorious name.
Just thought I'd share an earthly example of the profound post you gave us today. Bless you!
Very well put. We must always remember that, though God is our Father and loves us, He is also always holy and should ALWAYS be held in reverence. Thank you for that reminder.
Amen! You hit the nail on the head.
I must confess that Leviticus is one of those books that the enemy uses to heap alot of condemnation on me....I've blown it so many times that the HOLINESS of God kind of scares me.
Thank you for an encouraging word from the Book today! I needed it!
Thank you, Melissa!
God's ways are above our ways. We must approach Him with "Holy Reverance" even when we don't understand His plan. I needed to read that today.
I'm so excited to hear what God is going to say to us in San Antonio this weekend.
Grace and Peace,
Taunda
Melissa,thanks for sharing that powerful word from Leviticus...girl you can write and communicate...keep it up please. We sisters need that iron sharpening iron, you have sharpened me today.
WOW, Melissa!
What insight and so right on target. Thanks for the blessing but even more conviction. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday!!!
Well said!!! Praise God the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!! The Moores' are blessed with HOW to say it!! Thanks for being obedient and speaking the Truth to everyone.
In His name,
Arianne
Clifton, KS
well said
Aman Sister! Sometimes I think we use our words to give us permission to continue in bad behavior. I became tearful when I thought of so many angry fist that have been pointed toweard the heavens(my own included) in blame towards God, when most of the messes in my life have been self induced. He is the giver and taker of life, the beginning and the ending. My job is to sit reverently and humbly at His feet rather than in prideful postures of questions and blame.
Melissa,
I find myself in a place where it could be really easy to curse God and be angry, but Greater is He who is in me than who is in the world. It is a fine line between a "personal" relationship with the creator of the universe and having the reverence for the creator of the universe. I am certain that I have crossed that line from time to time. I pray forgiveness for that sin.
However, I long to sit on the lap of my heavenly father and soak in the hope, love, compassion, and direction that he might have for me.
It is hard to see God in both lights from time to time.
Melissa:
I'm all over you giving us a "step-by-step process" for studying the Word. In fact, I'd love it if you would pick a short book of the Bible and lead us through like you would study it i.e. the process. It's obvious that you have the gift of teaching and I'm here to be taught! Blessings on you and all your research!!! Keep up the good work!
Thank you so very much, Melissa ! In all my struggles and questions, I need to remember this more than anything. God bless all the Moore girls much!
I was so convicted by this post. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to share such profound thoughts with us. I am a busy woman and also a simpleton, but found it time well spent to invest in reading all you wrote! I would love to hear all about your step by step process to bible study anytime!
Traci
How blessed you are with the decision to be walking and trusting the Lord, as young as you are, Melissa! May God continue to give you a hunger and a burden for Him, His Word, and the leading of the Holy Spirit in your life. May we be the testimony and witness to those we hear degrade our God and His very holy name! May we be bold enough to praise Him in their very presence. As they have the freedom to choose to say what they wish, we must have the freedom, boldness and courage to do the same! May you continue to be blessed as you read God's Word, specifically in the Old Testament. As I am a completed Jew and have been for many years and now still remain in a New Testament Bible believing Baptist church, I enjoy, more than you will ever know the Old Testament as well as the New. God is good, all the time!
Wow, girl! You are quite the thinker and writer. I made it all the way through thinking it was Beth I was reading ... until I saw your name at the bottom.
You are so right in your assertion that we need to keep God's holiness foremost in our heart and mind even when He seems to have let us down. I, too, have heart believers say the most brazen things about God, and it nearly takes my breath away.
We would do well to remember that He who spoke the world into existence could just as easily speak us out of existence. He is worthy of our deepest respect.
Thanks for a very thought-provoking post.
Melissa -
Thank you for that thoughtful & powerful post. I, too, would love a more detailed exposition of how you study the Word - just listening to Beth the last few years has really inspired me to understand more the genesis of words & how they apply & affect the Scripture's meaning. But I'll definitely employ the sit-down-read-through method to start.
More importantly, thank you for the reminder that I am need a little affliction these days to help me refocus on the goodness of His sovereignty, & quit making excuses for my dry bones. This was a blessing to me.
Yes! Another good word we can take to heart! I'm still hearing the words of Beth saying, we just need to"Stop It"!
I so agree with you and what you've said. The word Casual keeps coming to mind. So many of us are so casual and flippant in our relationship with our Holy Father. Thanks for calling this to our attention.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I just discovered this Blog and I'm a huge fan of Beth's. How exciting to get a bit of Moore every day! Melissa, I think I'm part of the generation you're talking about and I appreciate your take on its collective relationship with Christ. Thank you for being open to God's work through you and best of luck with your growing family!
Melissa,
Amen! Thank you for this post. It is something I have been struggling with our generation and haven't been able to put into words. There is an uneasy feeling I get when I go into the churches and talk with people that are more of the "emergent" (or whatever you call it movement) that is hard to articulate. Our God is a great God who alone deserves to be praised. I am so thankful that He is trustworthy, sovereign, loving and just and knows what is good for me so much more than I do :).
We are so blessed that God does not give us what we deserve, but He gives to us out of His deep love. Thank you for this post. It seems to me that you have begun a fabulous book. I look forward to the next chapter. Although I am a few years older than your Mom, I have four daughters, mostly older than you, but one is younger. I see my thoughts and attitudes replicated in them in their relationship with God, but I also completely agree with you in your attitude toward holiness. It seems that history would prove that the pendulum swings with subsequent generations in regard to holiness. Why do you think that is true?
I too had a conversation about reverance this last week. I was talking to a young woman about the very thing you described Melissa. How we forget to be in awe of God. It was something this young woman said she had never thought about. I remember years ago when I first read through the Old Testament and thought how we need to remember who God is. He is absolutely love and grace but He is also justice and truth. Obedience has become an almost obsolete word in our Christian vocabulary. It is finding the balance between being real and being too familiar with the Creator and Sustainer of the universe. How I praise Him that I can call Him father but at the same time I need to stand in awe of Him.
Lynn in Alberta
Melissa,
How unique you are! I love your deep inside into God's word. You kind of remind me of Debra who was the leader, judge and prophet of God. Maybe it's the strength of character in you I see in your writing.
I tend to keep my anger hidden where I can't see it or the bitterness buried so not to view it, but I cannot fly to the highest mountain top or the pits of hell to hide from Him. Grief too, when it rains it pours.
This past Saturday, I was at Wholefoods and coming out the line feeling such doom and gloom. I spoke to a woman who was setting up for her small group to perform music. I noticed CD's and one being Christian. I asked if she was a Christian and was and the lady and I began to talk and through our talking she encouraged me to pray, pray, pray, pray. Just through those few moments I began to see a pin hole of light and it began to grow. Allison
I wanted to comment on Roxanne Worsham's second comment about her mom's passing. I too have lost my earthly momma and as I read her story, my heart hurt so much for her.
My mother came to live with us when she became very sick, and I took care of her for her last 3 years before she died. I never left her side, but on the morning she died, I had gone to the bathroom and decided to go back to wash my hands. That's when she took her last breath. My sister from out of town was there, but I wasn't.
I was miffed about that for so long. I don't ever remember cursing God, but I do remember thinking "I'm sure He knows I am miffed with Him."
Roxanne, thank you for your story. And thanks, Melissa, for your words on having reverence for God!
Love you to the moon and back!
Amen and amen. The Lord has really spoken a needed message through you, dear Melissa.
Siestas, could you remember to pray for all the College students headed off for their respective places in the next few days and weeks. Pray that they will recognize God's presence in their new place, away from all that is familiar and that they will rely on His strength in all things...especially the temptations that they cannot even yet imagine.
Pray for the tender hearts of the Mom's and Dad's who are launching their childen into the next phase of life.
And pray to see if there is some way that you might bless a college student, especially if you live in a college community. If you are the parent of a student far from home, consider if God would have you reach out to a student in a nearby university, just as you would love some other Mom to do the same for yours :)
Wow Melissa! Thank you! You need to post more often. I completely agree with you on everything. I believe that when we lose that fear of God, the healthy, Biblical fear, that we become hard-hearted. What a scary place to be! Thank you for speaking the hard truth and being so authentic yourself.
Hey, Melissa!
I saw the word "Leviticus" and somehow immediately knew this one was yours. Scrolled down, and sure enough! You are so richly blessed in your ability to bring home truth...
This post reminded me of your mama's phrase "throw a respectful fit". He knows already where our hearts are rebelling and disrespectful; it is such an awesome truth that His love covers us anyway...and that He expects us to come clean with Him even over the worst sins.
Thanks so much for posting this. It gives me such good words and word pictures to clarify the whole issue of holiness and disrespect.
Alyson
Awesome!
Well said! I agree that our anger at God is usually a sign of disbelief or a lull in our faith at that particular time. I have been there. I have doubted God's love for me in particular situations. But, I admit it didn't feel right. I knew I was accusing God of being something He wasn't...unjust.
We just don't know it all yet. Life hurts because of our fallen world. There are times when we just have to trust that God is always in control and that He truly can bring good of ALL things.
Thanks for the post!
Needed to hear that today. Thank you so much and Melissa you said it all just fine girl!! WOW!
Good word. Thank you for allowing God to use you like He does.
Bless you Girl,
Vicki
Oh, how I praise God for your words! You can't imagine how much I needed that.
Hi Melissa,
I have never left a comment before. However, I read this blog daily and have ever since I purchased Beth’s book Get Out of That Pit. I feel the time is right to become an official “Siesta”. You, Beth and Amanda have inspired me to make a 180 degree turn in my life. I wanted to thank you especially for being such a good example. I am 10 years older than you, but I look to you as a role model!!
Being a fairly new Christian, I am hungry for the Word and eager to learn. The way that you write is so refreshing. You put things into perspective that make it easier for me to understand. I find myself having “ah-ha” and “oh…I get it” moments all the time. I love every post left on this blog, but I especially like it when you write.
So, please keep doing what you are doing because you are truly an inspiration to me.
Peace and Love
I am new to this blog and your post blew me away. What a sobering look at our carelessness with the holiness of our Lord. Thank you from deep unto deep.
I've had a really hard time with this lately, because I feel like God hasn't been faithful to me. Everyone tells me that I need counseling, but somehow nobody thinks that it's just as important to convince my husband it's important enough to spend his money on. Besides right now it looks like I have only one option and this is entirely dependent on her having an opening and not retiring yet. She was about to retire the last time Becky talked to her. But I can't even call her until my husband says I can go at all.
Melissa,
You inspire me with your diligent study of the Bible. I would LOVE to read some of your notes on your process for doing so. Also, I would love to read about a "day in the life" of Melissa as she does research for Beth. Just a thought...
If you happen to read this, would you give us your definition of authenticity and your definition of that authenticity that our generation seeks? I am doing research to write something (not sure what format yet) on the subject of women and their Biblical worldview. I realized after reading your post that, women struggle with the notion of authenticity-even Christian women. Anyway, I don't want to infringe upon your time, but I thought this would be a worthy topic to blog about.
love,
sarah
Thank you for sharing that. It really made me think. I haven't had the time to check the blog the past week and when I came on today I saw this post and it really spoke to some things going on in my life. Sometimes we get all bent out of shape and angry because we can't understand God - but really we aren't supposed to. If we could then it would diminish some of His power in a way because we wouldn't have to rely on Him for the path or the final outcome we would just see it ourselves and do it on our own. We have to rely on God in every circumstance and remember that He knows the plans...we are just to follow them.
AWESOME, Melissa! I am not a "blogger" so to speak...I don't respond to very many posts but I am compelled to respond...AMEN! and Thank God for people in our generation that seek to rightly divide God's Word and call things what they are...I think THAT is being authentic in Christ. I am in an area of the nation where "being comfortable" and "relevant" now being referred to as "emergent" is sought after if not, shouted from the hilltops...what a breath of fresh air to knkow that there are some in my generation that will know God's Word and apply it.
THANK YOU!
Thanks, Melissa for the honest thoughts. They were thought provoking, and stirred something in me (and not just a thought that I should actually consider a fresh reading of Leviticus myself!).
I think that the best way I can explain myself is with a parallel to my daily/earthly life.
What I thought about while reading was how, in some areas of my life, I have plenty of practice with being authentic while also being respectful. I may very well go into my boss and express my frustration or disagreement with an action or decision of hers...but I would NEVER do it in a way that wasn't bathed in respect and deference.
I am blessed enough to have a boss in my job that I actually DO respect. However genuine my respect for her may be, however, a primary motivation for demonstrating that respect is probably more along the lines of not wanting to anger or offend her. Afterall, I do not have complete assurance of her magnanimous and loving forgiveness no matter how I may err.
I suppose that, in some ways, my sometimes casual communication with God (I'm pretty sure I've been "ticked" at God myself before...) is contributed to by my comfort with and perhaps belief in His unconditional love of me. And although I can be thankful for that belief, and grateful for that love, my choice to be deferential to Him can be (and, I think at least for myself should be) motivated by love for Him, not out of fear of retribution or judgment.
So, where I was going with this was just thanks for a new awareness about what motivates how I speak to my Lord. What has also come into view as I've typed this out (my first "comment" on the blog!), is an inspiration to also be mindful and prayerful about what does motivate me when I speak to my boss, or other such persons here on earth. I mean, speaking to her/them with respect is great...but speaking to them with respect because my heart is motivated by a giving sense of love? Even better.
Thanks again and blessings to you all!
Marina
Kansas City
Melissa Moore Fitzpatrick ~ God is going to reach many hearts through you. I love it when God gives you a post!
Post a Comment
<< Home