Insights from the Interstate
OK, Siestas, Keith and I are on Interstate 10 in his blue Ford Super Duty (that always sounds like a diaper blow-out to me. I guess you can tell I’m shoulder-deep into grandkids these days) heading east on Interstate 10 back to Houston. Star and Geli are sacked out in the back seat, worn to a frazzle. We’ve been at our cactus ranch-land for four days while Keith “did miscellaneous heavy ranch stuff” (his words, not mine. I asked him how I should describe what he’d been doing) and I worked hard and blissfully from our porch on a writing project. Normally I would have waited till I got home to blog but, seriously, some pieces of information are simply too important to wait. Thank goodness for my trusty internet card t-boning my tiny little HP.
I have just had the onion rings of my life. OF MY LIFE. Actually, they came with Keith’s order (a side of beef, ground and shaped into something resembling a Goliath-burger). I wouldn’t have dared order onion rings for myself but what you eat off somebody else’s plate is cancelled out calorically by the exertion you use to reach across the table. No brainer.
Actually I didn’t want to stop and eat. I was anxious to get on home to AJ and the babies and just wanted to get something to-go and eat it in the truck. Keith said, “Lizabeth, there’s some kind of award-winning little cafe in Junction that I been dying to try ever since we got some land this direction. Whataya say we get a bite there?” I pouted half a second then felt my stomach growl. “Are you sure you're not talking about a barbeque joint? Junction can do some barbeque. For the life of me, Honey, I'm trying to picture an award-winning cafe there.” He swore (not the bad-language kind) and declared. Even knew what side of the road it was on.
Lo and behold. We pulled up in a diagonal parking space outside a restaurant called “Isaacks” (hear that really loud. It was a Texas-size sign. One of our Siestas, Holly, just reminded me of the best part of the signage: underneath the name in bold letters is "Air-conditioned." A make-or-breaker in Texas.) Clearly the restaurant has been there since Abraham courted Sarai and probably wooed her right there at the soda bar. That was before the Law when Abraham didn’t have to worry about kosher. Because I don’t think it’s kosher. I don’t know for sure. You can bet your last dollar it still has its original charm though. I didn’t see a single sign of a remodel in at least 50 years. Why fix somethin’ that ain’t broke? That’s what my Papaw used to ask.
Sho –nuff. (Also my Papaw) Right there at the check-out counter hanging just above the jumbo jar of super bubble was the plaque: “Texas Monthly: The 40 Best Small-town Cafes 2008.” I was beside myself. I do love me some culture about better than anybody you know. I knew we were in for a treat.
“Help yourself,” chirped Miss Helen, waving us to any spot we liked. She’s been waiting tables there since 1967. Yes, of course, I asked. Are you kidding me? You know how much I love all manner of women. And I’ve just got to say, the woman could still wear a mean pair of blue jeans. I told her so. Even tucked in her shirt. She was sassy. It was one of those kinds of restaurants with a lot of taxidermy on the wall. I wouldn’t have been a big surprised if Miss Helen shot ‘em and stuffed ‘em herself.
She handed us a couple of large, tri-fold menus with the heavy clear plastic covers so the proprietor can change out the menu when he has a special. Only I don’t think they’ve done much changing-out in a while. But let me be clear: some things don’t need changing.
Like Isaacks.
I got the Mexican dinner. Miss Helen said they made their chili gravy from scratch. That did it. I slapped the thing shut and handed it back like a woman who knew what she wanted. Keith first had a mind to get chicken fried chicken since Miss Helen told us it was one of the local favorites. I couldn’t have been happier. Knew I’d get to share. Then at the very last split-second, he threw a curve ball. “The hamburger and the onion rings.” Miss Helen jotted it down, nodded, and scurried into the kitchen for a refill of tea.
I was baffled. “You got a hamburger?”
“Yep.”
“Instead of their famous chicken fried chicken?”
“Yep.”
“Are you out of your mind? Or watching your figure?”
“They batter their own onion rings here. Homemade it says.”
And I am telling you as I live and breathe that, fifteen minutes later when Miss Helen emerged from the kitchen, it was like a beam of light from Heaven shone all around that 9-inch-high plate of golden battered, deep-fried onion rings. It was a sight to behold. I nearly put my hand over my heart. I think my eyes watered. Never, I said N-E-V-E-R, IN ALL MY LIFE have I ever tasted an onion ring that good.
The onion rings of my life.
I’ll be dadgum.
Surely you don’t think that could wait till I get home.
Come on and tell me the best kept little café-secret in your neck of the woods. Keith and I are road warriors, remember? We go WAY out of our way for a darn good meal.

414 Comments:
el jordan cafe on bishop street in the bishop arts district in dallas...the. best. breakfast. burritos. (think nice size tacos) for $1.25. no kidding. i cannot eat 2. and i love me some breakfast tacos...esp chorizo and egg. come on up! i will personally escort you...grin.
Dunaways Palazzo Ossigeno in Indianapolis...It is neither hid-away or a cafe-but when you are there next you simply MUST go there...
Their Creme Brulee...I want to be buried with it when I die. Doesn't matter if you have had it anywhere else...it is that good!
PS I am now craving onion rings...too bad Texas is so far!
That's pretty funny stuff.
LOL... Up here in North Conway, NH, we like Delaney's Hole in the Wall. Some good eats, right there! :)
Thanks for not waiting. This was a fun read. :)
There is a cafe here in San Clemente called Cafe Rae!
The potato's that go with the omlettes - are too good!
Yes-SIR-eee, I love me a good post about some good food.
I'm not sure just where to begin, but the second place to jump to my mind (and only second because I can't remember the name of the first) is right here in Missoula, Montana. Profoundly named:
The Diner.
The most amazing blueberry pancakes you've ever tasted. Just like ISAAK'S, I'm not sure much has been done since about 1953, but let's get a big Amen-Hallelujah! to it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it.
Hands down THE best the diner, drive-in, or dive is the Loveless Cafe just outside Nashville. You'll never find better biscuits in all the south.....made for years by Carol Fay. And watch out for their Red-eye gravy. You'll fall in love all over again! Check it out:
Lovelesscafe.com
I once went on a blind date - once and ONLY ONCE!!! - with a guy that a friend from church "just knew" was made for me and me alone! He picked me up and told me to grab my coat.
Y'all, I lived in Phoneix at the time so that shoulda been warning no.1, but he mentioned the "best apple pie you ever had" and I figured as long as he waited till after the pie to kill me, I was OK.
We drove for TWO STINKIN HOURS! We finally ended up at a hole in the wall if ever there was one. It was in a little town called Bumble Bee (or some other small winged pest, maybe mosquito?) and it was a D.I.V.E!
But I will tell you this, they did have the best apple pie EVER so it was totally worth the torture of spending two hours getting there.
The trip back, however, when he tried the scenic route, got stuck in the snow and then proceeded to hand ME the snow chains and reach across me to open my door ... well, that woulda required blueberry pie too.
Just sayin!
You're such a hoot! Makin' me "hungary".......
Goin to Branson tomorrow ...umm....wonder what I can find to top that?
this is hilarious.
place called 'Pannie George's' in auburn, alabama. you ain't never. i mean never. it is some seriously good stuff.
{gosh i miss home}
Well, I just enjoyed this little tale so much! You sound so much like me and my husband. Unfortunately in our neck of the woods, we have NO little cafe's that are charming or the such. I would love it if we did - but our little town is small, small, small.
Hope you had a great trip. We have been enjoying pics of precious Annabeth while you were gone. I am ready to see some more of Jackson.
In Him,
Beth
I don't know the exact name of the restaurant - but good friends took us to "Matt's" in Austin for some great (underline great) mexican food. I could probably eat mexican food 5 days a week and this place might just get me to 7. Will definitely go back there next time we get to visit those dear friends.
Oh - and if you're ever in Rudyard, Montana (not sure why you would be!) where the billboard on the highway advertises "596 friendly people and one old sorehead" (honest) you'll have to stop in the cafe for breakfast. No question as to who "belongs" there and who doesn't. I don't remember a thing about the food, but I do remember some sweet old folks who put forth no small effort to help me locate my grandfather's homestead. If one of them was the sorehead, I didn't know it :)
You should try Brown's Diner the next time you are in Nashville. You might even run into a country music star. You see them in there quick often.
Oh, I don't know Beth... there are many here in Wayne County, Ohio that would swear Bishop's onion rings are the best ever! And their Nutty Muffit Burger... Heaven on a bun! I wish they had a website for you to see, but they don't. You can order their onion rings by the BUCKET! Yummo!
Beth,
You are too funny! And no, that could not wait until you got home! If you come to Kansas City, Mo try the BBQ it's the best!
Hugs!
Meal?!? That's a heart attack! You are talking my language. I'm going to finish this post and start planning a trip to Junction.
In fact, I may have to call my Daddy and find out if he's eaten at this Isaaks...he hunts out near Junction. If he's been keepin' a secret we'll have to have a long discussion.
One of our favorites is "Blue Bonnet Cafe" in Marble Falls. It's an annual date with some great home cookin'. I am always torn between the 3 egg omelets, the chicken fried steak, the homemade meatloaf, or the fried catfish.
This is our annual lunch date after picking the boys up from summer camp in the "Hill Country". It is a great day. Gettin' my hands on my boys after a wonderfully quiet 2 weeks without them. Good for us and good for them.
But the real reason to go to the Blue Bonnet Cafe is the P-I-E!!!
You name it they make it. Chocolate, lemon, pecan, cherry, apple, etc. And they have the highest and best meringue!!! And (drum roll please) the absolute best, I mean BEST coconut cream pie with High High meringue. My mouth is waterin' just thinking about it.
Next time take detour just south of Junction. Hang a left on 290 head to Fredericksburg, through Johnson City. Take left on 281 past Round Mountain and on into Marble Falls. Order some good 'ole Texas home cookin' and save room for pie. And when one of the waitresses (yes waitresses, uniforms and aprons) takes your order include a whole pie to bring back to Houston.
Love your story and can't wait to compile a list of "must stops" that will surely fill this blog.
Believe it or not, we've got two hole-in-the-wall cafes in the village of Gilbert, La. - a rock's throw from my home in the 'town' of Wisner (an important distinction ;). Anyway, when we're working on the farm, I'm frequently sent 'to town' to pick up food at the Lunch Box Cafe which started out as a sort of walk-up trailer thing, then they attached a kind of metal patio roof thing, then they tacked up some lattice work, then I'm a little fuzzy on what came next, the visqueen or the screen-porch kind of walls. Anyways, it's grown into a semi-permanent structure now and they make really good hamburgers and plate lunches. Miss Christine, the head cook, and my husband are BIG buddies! Jesse says her hamburgers are "made with love by Christian hands" and Miss Christine always tells me when I pick up lunch, "Tell Jesse I salted and peppered his and took a bite out of it to make sure it's good." Jesse showed up at the crack of dawn one morning for an apprenticeship in her smothered steak! Then just down the road is RV's Food and Fun where the fried catfish doesn't get any better. And RV's wife Eloise can flat make some pies - you know, those mile-high meringue kind? So we feel pretty blessed to have such great, friendly, Jesus-loving folks eager to cook for us! Enjoyed your story tremendously - we need to put Isaacks on our list!
So much fun and info thanks thanks and thanks again. Loved reading it.
I don't think that it qualifies as a cafe and it is pretty well known - but EVERYTIME I go home to Jackson, WY I have to go to Bubba's. When I was pregnant I craved the pulled chicken sandwich on garlic toast. Now I want to call my sister and have her mail me some bubba's sauce right now.
Po-Pigs BBQ on Edisto Island, South Carolina is the best if you want to try some real (that is, Carolina) BBQ. The owner is a truly brilliant chef who wants a simple life, and he can flat cook. It's amazing.
I just got back from a visit to my daughter's just south of Memphis. On our way through her little town of Hernando, she mentioned a cafe near the square with all kinds of home cooking. My husband, sitting in the back seat said, "And why are we not stopping?" After we made some errand runs, we returned to Cafe 51. Best little cafe! We had a vegetable plate that was to die for....fresh creamed style corn, candied sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, fresh turnip greens, fresh blackeyed peas...and of course, my husband had the biggest slab of meatloaf that I have ever seen. The best part was the cherry cobbler or homemade banana pudding for $1. The owner asked if we enjoyed ourselves....of course it was lipsmacking good...to which she laughingly said she was glad because she had been slaving over the hot stove since 3 that morning. Ever in Memphis?....go south on SH51...Cafe 51 is in a little white converted house just before you get to the square of Hernando.
My hubby's dream is to visit all the places featured on Diners, Driveins and Drives (Foodnetwork!)
We've been to 1! Soon to be 2 on vacation this summer. It's a start!
Now I'm off to overcome this onion ring craving!
Thanks for the smiles today.
Kelli
Pamela's! A little Cafe' on the University of Pittsburgh campus. 6 bucks gets you the best home fries, scrambled eggs, 3 slices of bacon (or sausage) and toast that a person can consume.
Their coffee is so tasty you could drink it black... AND even you won't be tempted to walk across the street to Starbucks afterwards.
AND... the customer service is amazing. You never have "a" server. They all care for every table. If there is a need... someone handles it. Right away. I never noticed my mug going half empty.
The best part of Pamela's... is that it is two blocks from our church. If you find yourself in Pittsburgh, PA on a Sunday morning... not only will you be fed physically at Pamela's... you will be fed spiritually at Northway Oakland!!
Love you Beth.
Well, if you are ever in Charleston, SC, there is a great little seafood diner called the SeeWee (an old Indian name). They have all kinds of tasty food but their fried seafood is the best - lots of down-home cookin' sides, plenty of hushpuppies and homemade desserts. YUM! It used to be a general store - cans on the walls, wooden floors, bathroom outside. And, they have bluegrass music on the porch sometimes. Very relaxed and casual. You would love it.
Beth, LOVE the story about the diner!! SO funny!! I read that article in Texas Monthly & immediately wanted to go try all the places on the list!
One that wasn't on the list is right up the road from y'all--Burger House in Bryan, Texas. Homemade bread & the best burgers!! They probably aren't as big as the one Keith had today--but they are just the right size for eating 1 a week!
Beverly,
a Houston, Texan transplanted to Mississippi
Thanks for the laugh today...I was listening to air one this morning and decided I need to laugh more when they said the stats read the following: Kids laugh on an average of 400 times a day or something like that...
Adults laugh an average of 15 times a day! I am working on the 400 number!!! I LOVE LAUGHING!
God bless you!
We've always liked to stop at Sutton County Steakhouse in Sonora when we chance to travel West on I-10. Looks like we're going to have to plan a trip soon and stop in Junction..now just where is it?
Way up here in the Northwest (Washington State) there is the cutest little burger joint called Boomers Drive In, and they are still an original drive in where you turn on your car lights on for service. The gal comes out and hooks the food tray right onto your car door. They serve the best burgers and shakes around. The shakes are the old fashioned kind made with hard ice cream and they serve the extra milkshake in it's container right alongside the shake. It's heaven on a hot summer night with kids in the backseat!
Loved your post!
Sasha in Bellingham
Great post!! I needed a laugh as my almost two year old has been practicing for her upcoming terrible twos today. :) This post makes me miss good food! I was born in Texas but now live in the Northwest and it just isn't the same here. I could live on biscuits and gravy...and chicken fried steak!! My husband doesn't like fried food, but I'm working on him! For now I'll just have to dream of the day when he might order onion rings. :)
BethMoore - my mouth is watering. I haven't had an onion ring in ever so long. Not good for the diet. If you're ever in Nampa, Idaho there's a little diner downtown called Honker's. They have the best breakfast food (we always go when my parents come to town) with cinnamon rolls the size of a dinner plate. No kidding. They come with frosting, but when they serve it to you, they've just warmed it a little with a pat of butter so it oozes down all over the cinnamon. So gooey and delicious. I'm thinking this post isn't good for the diet either. Gotta go get me a snack.
Enjoy those grandbabies!
Is Germany too far out of the way? :) We have a place in our village that makes a mean schnitzel.
Do you ever pass a Texas Burger when you go to the ranch? Now THAT is some good driving food. Plus, they have blue bell!
Right now in Vermont we are in the throws of Sugaring time, when the sap from the maple trees are boiled down into Vermont Gold!!! and all I can think of is what else can I eat Maple Syrup on...
and I pour it on just about everything...:)
but those onion rings you described sure sounded faaaabulous all by themselves!
Michelle in VT
you just made me hungry for onion rings thank you mam! Sounds so yummy! I have been missing one of these posts from you. You are a hoot!
LOL! I had to read your post out loud to my mom, it was so funny. You've really made me hungry, too! Anyway, I wouldn't call it a cafe (a semi-dive is more like it), but Mugshots Grill & Bar in Hattiesburg, MS has the best hamburgers I have ever had! It's a little more like a bar than a grill, but if you go for an early dinner or for lunch, it's just fine.
Going to get a snack now...
This - "I wouldn’t have dared order onion rings for myself but what you eat off somebody else’s plate is cancelled out calorically by the exertion you use to reach across the table."--cracked me up!Especially since I could hear my Chris say, "Oh yeah, it cancels, calories! 'Cause I'll put up a good fight for my onion rings or take your finger, whichever is easiest." Hee hee.
Here in Monument, CO, we like "Rosie's Diner." It's right off I-25N at the 105 exit. Come on and I'll treat you to some good eatin'! Bring Keith, 'cause my Chris is dying to have a good visit with him.
PS I wish Keith had gotten Chicken Fried Chicken, it's my favorite.
I love a woman who can wax rhapsodic over an onion ring.
You get internet in your car?! How high tech are you? And how jealous am I?
Hmm...
Next time your in Denver, let's drive down to Colorado Springs for THE BEST FRENCH ONION SOUP EVER. And I mean better than French onion soup in FRANCE.
La Baguette. (They have cream cheese croissants too--I promise you'll love them!)
Love,
Joanne
Oh how I love your blog. You are so much fun! Well, being from Southern California I have to pitch the all time favorite-HANDS DOWN- best place for a burger and fries. IN-N-OUT!!! For a fast food restaurant they REALLY know how to do a burger right! :) I like what Cindy said....if you are ever out in LA you let me know and I would be happy to escort you to an In N Out. Grin. Much love to you!
When I went to school in Azusa, CA. There were these two places that I would love to go to. First, The Whole Enchilada (Mexican Restaurant). It was a great little place. Loved to eat there. And I love The Hat (Fast Food Place) they had HUGE fried zucchini. It was like a foot long zucchini that they cut into quarters length wise. Delicious! It's too bad that I live 60 miles away in L.A. traffic. : (
Oh, you are near Fredrickburg! Be sure and try their fudge on the main street sometime. mmmmm!!
I love Enchanted Rock, too.
Not where I live - proud CA resident - but where my parents live in Jacksonville AL is the best hole in the wall bbq that serves amazing cheeseburgers and yummy sweet tea! Its called The Rocket and its been there for forever. I LOVE it and must eat there every time I visit my parents.
If you are back in Nashville to spend some time with those Cotrells...ya'll need to spend some time at Baja Burrito...it was amazing. I mean truly, never have I had a better tastier taco salad, and even had a bite of a friends fish tacos...Ms. Beth, you must make it a date to be kept.
P.S. I ate it this past weekend as we were there being blessed by you at the Minister's conference. Loved it friend.
I am laughing so hard about the caloric intake being cancelled out when it is on someone else's plate! AMEN to that! That is why I have four children! : )
Fries, fries, and more fries! (Now they are older not as much left) To this day if we are out to eat when they go to the bathroom they are all like, "Mom don't touch my fries!" : )
Mmmm but I am craving some onion rings now! May have to get some tonight!
Mom,
My favorite little hole in the wall is called Panita and it is a Thai restaurant here in Atlanta. It is a one man show- the guy cooks, cleans, orders, etc. I have literally never seen another person working in there. And sometimes if he is overwhelmed or grouchy he will just flat out tell you to leave. Whenever he wants. It is awesome!
Your daughter who misses you and wishes she had been eating onion rings with you and Dad on the Interstate.
Melanie Miller, You are making me want cinnamon rolls like mad. I do dearly love a good cinnamon roll.
OK, forgive the journalist in me...I just saw a picture of the famous "Isaacks." I LOVE LOVE LOVE that underneath it, is a big sign that says "Air-Conditioned!"
I miss Texas. Really, I love the folks there.
Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City. It is a gas station/restaurant. The Z-Man sandwich: fresh hamburger bun, tender BBQ meat, melted cheese, and an ONION RING on top. It is the ultimate onion ring experience! The fries and BBQ sauce are great, too!
Well I just became a yankee (God called us to Missouri) but my heart still lives in south Louisiana and there is the greatest hole-in-the-wall seafood place in Lake Charles, LA called Steamboat Bill's. If you ever head the other direction on I-10 you have to stop there. Get a crawfish pistolette... it will change your life for sure. You can also buy live crawfish there. :)
I JUST bought cinnamon rolls at the grocery!!! Cinnabon ones! Cause I won't eat one from an actual cinnabon...they are chock full of bad stuff...but ohhh so tasty!
Oh Beth you crack me up.
It's not a cafe but a hamburger place called Kewpee's in the town where I grew up in Ohio. Best hamburgers ever!! Any time we go 'home' in Lima, Ohio to visit from here in NC, we have to make a Kewpee stop.
Beth, I love how reaching across the table cancels out your calories :) You're a woman after my own heart :)
LOVED this whole post, by the way. Thanks for sharing!
Tasty Treat. At least, that's what I used to call it as a girl. They took FOREVER to cook their food but it was worth the wait. So greasy (not from olive oil) and so, so good!
--------
I just want to SHOUT FROM THE ROOFTOPS that God just gave me and my husband a BRAND NEW four door vehicle. I mean TOP OF THE LINE with so many bells and whistles you wouldn't believe! I have to remain anonymous because we've been asked not to say it was given to us. We have been praying for God to work a miracle in our car situation because we needed one with four doors but decided to get out of debt before buying another one. The engine light on one of our vehicles came on last week. We prayed it would last one more year. And then God gave us a NEW car this week!! Oh the blessing, LOVE, favor, and abundance from our sweet Provider.
Amen to the Kansas City BBQ!!! My FAVORITE BBQ of all time is from Oklahoma Joe's. It is a gas station, convenience store, largest frisbee golf supplier in KC, and a BBQ restaurant all in one. Don't be scuurrrd though. It is a religious experience in your mouth...and my favorite item on the menu is called the Z-man which is a beef brisket sandwich with provolone melted and an ONION RING on top!!! Color me happy I love me some gas station BBQ!!!
Love your story and the enthusiasum you put into your food! We love a little hole in the wall place called Lion's Tap in Eden Prairie, MN. All they serve is burgers and fries, but they are the absolute best. They have been rated best burger for years. It's a total dive....with wood paneling and a giant mural of ducks landing on a lake. The place probably hasn't changed in 30years, but it's always busy and always yummy!!
Since you're on I 10, if you ever venture out W a bit more, just past San Antone is a lil town called Boerne. Hidden in Boerne is the local favorite: The Hungry Horse. They have chicken-fried green beans. Enough said. ;)
Houston -
Cleburne Cafeteria
http://www.cleburnecafeteria.com/
one of the best cafeteria's I've been to in Houston. You probably know about it. Better than luby's and luby's is better than it has been but this place is outstanding for cafeteria food.
Holly, Thanks for finding the picture!
Bubba's
Honker's
Boomer's
Cafe 51
Po Pigs BBQ
Bishop's
Loveless Cafe
and (get this one)
Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas...
I just love it, love it, love it...
I had to mention one other great place...
Hoover's in Austin, TX
(home cookin' and soul food)
on Manor Road just off I-35 at about 26th street.
BethMoore you are too funny...if you're on I-10 be sure to stop at Bucce's in Luling (best restrooms on the road, worth stopping just to check them out...I'm just sayin') the jerky's not bad and the fudge is tempting...
I love livin' in Texas... ;~}
Hilarious! HI-LAR-I-OUS! I saw that article during a doctor's appointment and am glad to hear there is still integrity in journalism!
There is a little Mexican food place just off I-35 in San Marcos called Dos Flores. Besides my friends and the beautfiul scenery, those beef fajitas are what I miss the most about that town. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! It is a MUST when I go back to visit. And their sweet tea is in the top 5 I've ever had. They even serve it over "Sonic ice". It is a glimpse of heaven on earth!
I have to tell you that I'm THRILLED to know about this - not because I want to be sure and visit the next time I'm in Texas - but because we just found out we're moving BACK to Texas!!! Glory and Hallelujah!
Home. How that THRILLS MY SOUL!
P.S. My word verification is "discheat". I think that could apply to your eating onion rings off somebody else's plate! :o)
If you're ever in the Shanendoah Valley in Virginia, stop into Jess' Quick Lunch. It's really a hole in the wall diner with the same tables and chairs I used to sit at with my family when my feet couldn't touch the floor. They have the best hot dogs! And really really sweet people.
Here in Atlanta there is an AMAZING Thai place in midtown that has the smallest parking lot you've ever seen, and the BEST Thai food I've ever eaten. and it's cheap!! (It's definitely not the one you're talking about Melissa, because they have more than one person working there. But I'll have to look for Panita's and try it sometime!) I can't remember the name of this one I've been to, but as soon as my army man lands I'll find out the name and let y'all know.
Hungry in Hotlanta now,
lavonda :)
I love a place called Mel's Country Cafe (http://melscountrycafe.com) in Tomball. The first time I went years ago there was barely room for me and my co-workers to all sit and eat. But last time I went they'd improved the place with more seating. And it's a good thing because we stood in line for about 45 minutes one Friday night. Just talking about it is driving me crazy, so I may have to go tonight!
Norman Couser's Country Cooking
Nolensville Rd in Nash. TN
Now Beth, girlie, thats some good eats. There is this waitress that's not only good at taking care of ya, but she'll invite you to her church while doing it. Amen sister.
The food, oh yeah! It's country cooking. Oh the bread! The mashed patatoes! the Veggies cooked the country way. I want some now! Which is best the fried chicken? or the Ham? I can't decide.
I'm gettin' mighty hungry
Becky/Brentwood
Only place I know out here is Cracker Barrel it's in Slidell Louisiana but they have good chicken fried chicken and oh the biscuits are to die for. or Corkys barbecue in Metairie La.
I haven't been there for a while but in CA off hwy 101 in the town of Nipomo is Jocko's, a great dry rub bbq rib place with food cooked over oak and mesquite wood. This blog is making me very hungry.
love the story from beckyjomomma
I can see all that happening.
I'm a christian Author, I may have to ask permission to use that in my next book.
Just askin
RS Nashville
What a much needed post after a hectic week. It was so descriptive that I pictured the entire thing in nostalgic colors reminiscent of my childhood - and my mouth watered just tasting those onion rings! Hope there was either a glass of sweet tea with lemon close by or a coca-cola.
Beth, you are a delight! Tell Keith thanks for the onion rings . . . a restaurant that used to be out our way was the Log Cabin ---- truly good old Sunday after church fried chicken with all the necessary sides and homemade biscuits with gravy to boot. Sadly, they have been closed MANY a year. Another favorite that also just closed was a BBQ place in Huntsville run by Mount Zion Baptist Church ---- we would make a run at least every 3 months and buy 10 pounds of meat and bring it home and feast for a few days . . . it never lasted long!
Hum, now I am getting hungry!
East Texas Burger Company in Mineola, Texas has the best FRIED PIES and burgers, homemade hand-cut french fries, chicken fried steaks and all the fixins'. We live in Hideaway (Tyler is our big city...Grin!) but drive over to Mineola for a good burger and some fried pies. Notice I mentioned the fried pies first...gotta love desert first! Plus, there's some serious old East Texas ambience going on in that place - come see us!
Railway Cafe in Richmond, ME. Not all their food is spectacular, but they have the best deep fried haddock (in batter or crumbs). And on Wednesday nights it's all you can eat haddock for $8.99...they probably jest bout cry when they see my big burly husband come walking through the door on a Wednesday night. And the chocolate chips pancakes...big as a dinner plate. Oh and by the way, the cafe used to be a funeral home...ayup (as we say in Maine) that's a little creepy :-)
What fun, now I'm hungry for onion rings. Haven't had them in a long time! I love that when you reach across the table and take them from someone else's plate it cancels the calories - that's my kind of food!!!
Lynn in Alberta
Cracking up about the Onion Rings- We call that a "Come to Jesus moment" when the food is that good! I have been known to raise my hands shoulder high, wiggle my fingers and say alleluia for great food.
Beth - next time you head towards Billings, stop at the King's Hat. It's been around for 50 years or something and I'd bet they use the same oil in the fryer. It's a drive thru so you have to pull over and eat in your car. The flying cheeseburger and onion rings are tops. But the best is what they call a "Hot-n-Tot" which is a cinnamon coke. (It also comes in diet as if that will make or break the calorie thing.) You'll never have a tastier drink in your life!
Mrs. Beth, I bet you have every siesta wanting to go get an onion ring right now. Ha!!!
Hmm..If you're ever in Warner Robins or Macon, GA... you HAVE to go to Nu Way weiners!
There slogan is "I'd go a long way for a Nu Way"
They have the best hotdogs around these here parts. Ha! Oprah even heard so much about it she went. Not that that matters much, but I'm just saying. It's GOOD! And I'm interning right now in Nashville... so that's just great. I got myself craving it and it is 6 hrs away. Well.. I guess I'd go a long way for a Nu way! *wink*wink*
In North Texas, Whitesboro, to be exact, is a little shop called Lovejoy's on Mainstreet. They have a restaurant in the back where they make their own bread for the sandwiches. Melt in your mouth! Yum!! The sandwiches and salad's are so delicious. I'm sure the desserts are too, but I've never had enough room for it! The family who runs it is so sweet. (Amanda, if you heard Laurie and Sharon with "Mom and Loving It" at MOPS, it is their parent's who own it.)
the Koffee Kup in Hico also made that list of best small cafes. It is known for its awesome homemade pies. They just put the "Doctor's Office" pie back on the menu. Apparently they named it that because you have to visit the doctor after you eat it. smile. Anyway in our town they also make chocolates - Wiseman Chocolates. The sign outside of town says "Chocolate Heaven." They sell a shirt that says, "Chocolate proof that God is good...very good." My favorites are 2 dark chocolates - WILD WOMAN and SNOOKY. They also make milk chocolate too. The chocolate house is across from the Koffee Kup. Have fun!!!
what restaurants have you been to in Alaska? we have many to chose from some with views of an inlet or mountains, some with views of a glacier and mountains, some with views of other buildings and mountains, some with just a view of mountains, and still others with no views just good food. If I have to name names from all around the state .... I like Seven Glaciers Restaurant, Gwennie's Restaurant, Long Rifle Lodge, Crazy Loon Restaurant, Sheep Creek Lodge, Snow Goose Restaurant, Nobody's Inn Restaurant, Talkeetna Roadhouse, Hot Licks Ice Cream Parlor, Salty Dog, among many others we have up here.......
Welfare Cafe in Welfare, Texas! Right off I-10! BEST German food! So stinkin' good!
Beth, you are so FUNNNNNY. My husband's favorite thing is Onion Rings...Junction here we come!
The best food in all of Baker City, Oregon is found at Inland Cafe. The best fried potatoes with onions you have ever tasted. Their coconut cream pie is the bomb.
If you're ever in San Diego, CA...Ray Ribs are the best ribs in the world. We love ribs and these are dadgum killer.
I do thank you sista Beth for the HOOT this afternoon you are truly a gift from the Lord. Thanks Keith for being hungry.
Beth, you are making me SO HUNGRY!!!! If I were anywhere within 200 miles of that little joint, I swear (not the bad language kind) I'd hop in my car right this minute.
Unfortunately, I'm in Northern WI....where there are flurries outsid today. I guess I'll have to just dream of homemade chili sauce and heavenly onion rings.
In Minneapolis and a couple of the burbs, we have Keys Cafe! Breakfast to die for - homemade bread, awesome pies -great sandwiches (on the homemade bread)
I love that you knew about Isaack's. I'm not sure you can beat it in that part of Texas. We had a couples hunting party for many many years at 700 springs ranch and Isaack's was our diner. We even stayed at the motel a few times. A great find- thanks for sharing with us! Kathy, Austin
What a hoot! I always knew that the calories don't count if you eat off your husband's plate I just never knew that why of it! :~)
This post make me wish I was home in the midwest where those kind of good eateries are all over. But it's good to know of Boomers in our neck of the woods! Maybe when we visit the tulip fields!
Thanks for a great diversion today!
Cambridge, MA has many gifts, but some good ol' soul food, cafe-style eating is not one of them.
If you would care to eat Ethiopian food with your hands, though, well then there's a restaurant on every street corner.
I went out to a great little Moroccan restaurant a few weeks ago with two friends to celebrate a birthday and my friend said she'd heard they didn't serve alcohol but you could bring your own. Ensuing conversation:
Me: It's BYOB?
Her: Yeah, crazy huh?
Me: But...it's a Muslim restaurant. I mean, it's Moroccan, so the owners are probably Muslim.
Her: Yeah.
Me: So...I'm pretty sure the alcohol is haram. ("forbidden" in Arabic)
Her: Well, that's why they won't serve it.
Me: I'm pretty sure it's still haram no matter who provides it.
Sure enough, we were not allowed to drink in the restaurant and they were clearly displeased that we had tried. We did what all classy women do: we sat outside on the curb and drank it. In the snow. Yes we did.
Well, this would be WAY out of your way (but you'd be closer to my way and I'd gladly have you over and whip you up some onion rings myself .......... at least I'd give it a shot. Would it require deep frying? 'Cause that could be a problem. Some of us here in the North don't know squat about deep fry).
Here it is: Eureka Lodge - great pie and so-so coffee - but the view is what's most impressive. A kajillion miles of open space surrounded by some of the Planet's wildest mountain ranges.
Pie, With a Big Dose of Creation (that would be a fitting motto). It's about 120 miles or so north of Anchorage. I'll keep my eyes open for you and Keith.
Now you've done gone and made me hungry,
Warm in Alaska.
1. Gus's Fried Chicken Memphis, Tennessee
It is grand and glorious! Keith would love it. This is my #1 pic.
The Journey Continues ~
Oh Beth, I am so blessed to be able to read this blog story before flying to London, England!
Just perfect grub words before a 10 1/2 hour flight with AIR FOOD!
Gross!! I want me some ONION RINGS and A GOLIATH BURGER!!
Dave did take us to a great Mexican Restaurant before the flight. Hope it doesn't cause the jet any fumes if you know what I mean :)
Please keep our family in prayer!
Smooches and Hugs to all the Siesta's, Amanda, Melissa
(thanks Melissa for the Bible information you sent me), and Dear Beth!!!
I'll be dadgum, I gotta go!!!
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com
HOME in time for my next scripture blog!!!
If you're ever in Missouri you'll want to stop at Lambert's Cafe--home of the "throwed rolls." And yes, you got that right they actually throw the rolls across the cafe at you!! USA Today listed them as "one of the ten best places take an exit to good eatin'."
~Cheryl
Must be a Texas thing. My father-in-law, a transplant from Texas to Big Sky Country, never asks where'd ya'll go? what' ya'll do? who all did you see? It's always where'd ya'll eat?
Thankfully, my husband is the same way so we also go WAY out of our way for good food!
Oh my husband would probably travel to Texas for some good homemade onion rings. Ever since we moved from S.C. he talks of the onion rings at this particular restaurant that is no longer there. He has not found any to measure up to theirs.
It is not cafe, but if you love cheesecake. Try "My Dad's Kitchen" in Jasper, TN. She has the best. By the way she moved here from Houston a couple of years ago. She does really well with ethnic foods also. She makes a soup call Kapusta that it is sooo delicious. That when it is the daily special, there is phone tree set up and email also. She sells out before the end of the day. We love our Texas transplant.
The next time you're in Chicago, you look me up. I could cook for you myself, but I could also take you to Tre Kronor, the North Side's Swedish-American brunch mecca. Their Sweet Bell Pepper & Brie Quiche is To. Die. FOR. I can just see you, AJ and Amanda there now. Oh, and Jackson and Annabeth, too - they're very family-friendly. ;)
Beth,
If you're ever up near Michigan, I work at a mom & pop restaurant, Rykse's. It is a local family owned/run restaurant. We serve a variety of "comfort" foods. Our mashed potatoes are real, not from a box, we serve things like baked mac & cheese, stuffed meatloaf,pot roast, shepherd's pie... All of the food is made at the restaurant. We are also known for our baked goods. They are also made fresh daily. We are known for our huge cinnamon rolls as well. On Saturdays, I have been telling customers that if they know they are coming in at night, that they can call in during the day and have us set aside some baked goods so they can be sure to get it when they come in.(Sorry for the run on sentence, I never was good in English). Unfortunately, we only have some mexican style soups, but Jackson could get a kid's taco. It is a nice family restaurant. I would love to serve your family sometime! Thanks for sharing with us! I love hearing about you and your family! Love Ya & OnYa! Joan
i seriously just sent my husband out to get me some onion rings from regular ole sonic burger before i read your post. i'll be thinking of the ones you had while i eat mine. i recently moved to arkansas - what is a good place out here that you know of? anywhere special in arkadelphia?
In Greenville, NC, there's a place called "B's Barbecue". They cook the pig out back on an open fire pit. I don't ever recall seeing a health inspection - maybe there's a G'ville siesta who can speak to that. The same folks have been working there since the earth was repopulated after the great flood. They barbecue the pig every single day. And when the pig is gone, then you're too late. They sell the vegetables they cooked that day until those are gone. Then they close for the day. When you walk up, there's guys in $1,000, hand-sown suits sharing a table w/ the guys that have been out digging on construction sites. They don't know each other, they just want good food and a place to sit down.
Enjoy,
Kim Feth
Apex, NC
Although I'm a Delawarean (got to worship with you at the University of Delaware last October - thanks bunches!), I had the privilege of visiting Texas for the first time last summer. You guys are something else: to go with those best ever onion rings you just had, you need to stop in at the Coffee Station Restaurant in Crawford, TX for the best ever hamburger I ever had!! Hey, you might even meet up with George and Laura -- I understand they like that place too. Blessings, Beth!
i live in sedro woolley wa.
and there is a place for thai food thats great he has two locations one in mt vernon thai house and one sedro woolley wa. called the Pen's thai house he is real famous in our part of the woods when i visit my mom in Santa Barbara ca. we love to go to Pascucci's 729 state st Santa barbara ca GREAT! Italian. Great lunch specials and the best part you can eat on the patio and people watch you see real interesting folks. too fun!!
and YES beth there is a town Called Sedro Woolley we are up north almost to the border right at the gate of the north cascades some of the most beautiful country a small logger town that if you blink you will miss it and drive through!
love ya !
Sara R
My Mother-in-Law (Love) used to own a small cafe in Superior, AZ - the Hamburger King, and she made her own onion rings too. They were incredible! I've helped her make them, and it's quite a process... soaking the onions in ice water, dredging them with flour, then dipping them in pancake mix, and finally coating them with some secret mix she had of bread crumbs and spices. They were awesome! She would make a huge tray of them every morning, and she was usually sold out by lunch time. She says you have to deep fry them in hot hot oil - baking them may be better for your waistline but they're awful that way... Do you want the recipe? I'll try and wheedle it out of her if you'd like!
Dang it - now I'm craving onion rings!
Love you and your stories Beth! Glad y'all had some time away...
Hugs,
Adrienne
Beth,
Here in Liverpool, NY, we have a hometown place that hasn't changed in a long time. The decor is from the 50's. It's called Heid's and they are famous for hot dogs. Everyone that comes to town wants to go there.
My favorite is another place in the village called the Retreat. They have a variety of good food, but I've grown quite fond of the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. Chicken, breaded and covered with buffalo wing sauce, served on a roll and topped with shredded cheese, bacon, and a side of blue cheese dip. MMMMMMMM!
Mat's Diner in Butte, Mt. Only seats maybe 15 and that includes the old fashioned round stools at the counter. The owner cuts her own potatoes for the fries and patties her own burger into patties. She also serves only homemade pies. I should know. When I was in my 20's and pregnant with my fourth baby, every other night or so, I'd get a call from Mat's putting in the order for pie's. I can still see my dad sitting across my kitchen counter one night while I was baking pies saying,"You make pie making look like an art." Nothing less for Mat's.
When you go to Kansas City next time go to Smoke Stack and have the burnt ends dinner. Oh my! Remind me...why am I now living in south Florida?????
If you're ever in Monroe, LA, up off Interstate 20, you MUST go to Pee-Gee's - best daggone roast beef po-boys with homemade gravy ever! I've been gone from home (Monroe is my hometown) for over 20 years now, but every time I go back, Pee-Gee's is always my first stop!
Wendy
Mechanicsville, gA
This is the funniest thing I have read in months! And my mom is downright hilarious, so I am a bit immune to most humor! Love you, and love your stories!
That was so much fun! Thanks for taking us along for the ride!
I'm still trying to find that great place around here. I did find that the best pizza is at Charlie's Pizza up the road in Nikiski. (That's ni-KISS-ski) It's not cheap, but it is good stuff. Unfortunately, my husband is Celiac and cannot have wheat, rye, or barley, so it's my treat when he's gone! I'm guessing this part of Alaska isn't on the soon to be tour dates, but if your husband ever wants to fish or hunt up here, we can go for pizza!
Beth,
I could not pick a joint in WV b/c there are so many "Ma and Pa" restaurants that are so good. You'd be surprised at the culture there too, especially in southern WV, because of the tourism during rafting/skiing season. There is a little place off Rt. 19 in Summersville called "Cafe Acropolis." You would not believe the food. The male owner is from Greece and the woman is from Italy and they order most of their food from their native homelands. It is very authentic. I have yet to taste a greek salad so good and big. In Fayetteville WV, there is a restaurant called "Breeze Hill," just right straight across from the sunset over the mountains. The chef is from Hawaii and he can cook some mean food. It is housed in a very old home (with a huge deck for the sunset) they said could not be restored,and it is so intimate. Different candlelit rooms, awesome. One of our favorite joints is Dirty Ernie's in Fayetteville, WV. Dirty as in "get your hands dirty while you eat." It's just plain fun. All the rafting joints are. Oh and the Sedona Grill.
In Bentonville, AR. my favorite place by far is The Station. They have the best, greasiest burgers I have EVAH tasted. MMMMM. They have every license place from every state hanging on their walls now, they needed one from WV, which I happily provided before I moved.
Okay, for Texas. I don't know. I do love the Orleans Seafood Kitchen in (I think) Westgreen Village. Little restaurant center near Fry Rd. I do LOVE their chicken fried chicken. I get that every time. I've also been to many places in Houston. We lived there for a month before moving to our home in Katy. I love all of the Pappa's restaurants and I've tried all of them. I also love that Brazilian Steakhouse in Houston, except I have to wait until they do the well-done meat. I forget where else we've been. I love to eat.
So, I will be paying close attention to what the Houston siestas have to say. I'm still on the search for a little diner/joint with friendly people and food that justifies my Lipitor. I don't take that stuff for no reason.
As much as I love some highfalutin places, you know, getting dressed up once in awhile; I'm such a jeans and t-shirt, Miss Helen kind of girl. I actually posted this after we first moved here: IF ANY OF Y'ALL HOUSTON, KATY, RICHMOND, ROSENBURG SIESTAS KNOW OF A JOINT LIKE THE ONE BETH DESCRIBED, THEN SPILL IT!!! I love driving down to Rosenburg/Richmond. I think it's great and would be tickled pink to go and hang-out somewhere like Isaacks.
Sorry about the long post, but I love food and I am desperate to find a joint here. Come on, it did not take me this long in AR. I still miss The Station.
I know some of y'all are probably laughing about the WV restaurants, but let me tell you, there are some dang good cooks in those hills. The state puts a lot into tourism and they bring in some of the best chefs. Others come from big cities, etc. just to get away and live a simple life. I've been in restaurants from Cananda to Florida over to Texas and I'm telling you, if you ever go to The Mountain State, check those places out. It is some dang good food.
Barbara S.
Katy Siesta
Oh, and for all you Memphis siestas, almost everyone in my family has been to some famous rib restaurant there. I forget the name, even my hubby went, but they say it is the best ribs ever. They may be exaggerating, but they swear that you have to walk through some back alley and it is kind of hidden.
Cracked up through this whole post :)
Oh Beth - the next time you come to Atlanta, please get Melissa to take you to the famous "Varsity" restaurant downtown near the Georgia Tech campus. Their onion rings are to.die.for. As I live and breathe, that is where my man and I went after our wedding reception. We got "curbside" service with chili dogs and onion rings...I sat my bridal bouquet on the dash of that Ford Pinto...HAHAHAHA
Now - I have two joints I want to tell you about - one is on the way to my man's deer hunting camp. It is run by a precious Mennonite family and is called "Five Points Grocery." They cook the hamburgers right there in front of you.
When we were dating "back in the day," we used to eat BBQ at a place called "Fresh Air BBQ." It is also award-winning and voted #1 in Georgia a few years back. The smell of the woodsmoke, the BBQ pork and the great cole slaw - oh so good. And you know - you sit at picnic tables and the red plastic ketchup containers and hot sauce and all that on every table. Quaint and good and consistent.
My favorite place here where I live now is called "Georgia Bob's." They have the best chicken salad. They cook all the chicken outside on a big smoker and the restaurant itself is located inside a gas station/quickie combo store - you know the type!
I love the backroads on any trip!
So glad you got away for a few days. As much as you poured out to us minister's wives - you needed to renew and rest and read and write!
Much Love,
Georgia Jan
Beth, you are a hoot and a holler! I love your passion for life. There are a couple of good places in Humble. For good hole in the wall Mexican food, Jalisco's on 59, just south of 1960 by-pass. It's cheap and clean. The sour cream enchiladas are the bomb diggity! For good home cookin' type of food, Good Eats at the Holiday Inn at Beltway 8 and JFK. Sorry if anything is misspelled or bad grammer. The cat is crowding me. She has to be as close to me as possible. :)
Jodi
FYI, I just found out-there are no calories in birthday cake. Yup, it's true. Any calories eaten in a celebratory manner are cancelled out because of the party. Especially grandkids' parties. I'm just sayin...
PS. There are no cafes around here, but I felt obligated to write something.
Melissa,
I'm still waiting on my mom to email my Mamaw's homemade cinnamon roll recipe to me. I have been harrasing her. It's not like her to hold out on me. We don't do that in our family, hold out on recipes. Apparently, according to her, they were so good the preacher mentioned them in church (it's a small church and she took some showing off).
Also, from one blooming, naturally talented chef to another, PRAY FOR ME. I am going to try to make my Italian grandparents Easter bread this year. I've only made it once, with my Papaw and the whole time my grandmother was like "you all are crazy spending all day doing this." We did it and it was good. I was able to take some to my neighbors and so forth. It's so cool to have a yellow loaf of bread with your fried chicken or whatever you cook for Easter on your table.
Thanks,
Barbara S. Katy
Depends on what you are looking for. If you want home cooking we go to Tessie in Metairie, LA. For Pizza it is Mo's in Westwego but if you want seafood, you have to go to the Village Inn in River Ridge in Louisiana. But anyplace you go to here you can't miss.
Well it isn't in my neck of the woods, but it is on our way when we go see Gammy (my hubs grandmother) in Wichita Falls. We drive Hwy 281 all the way north from Marble Falls to Wichita Falls...from falls to falls. On the way we go through Hico. I think it is officially the birthplace of Billy the Kid, or so the signs say. There is a sweet little place called the Koffe Kup, open 364 days a year. They have a great specials of the day and they have some great chicken fried steak too. They are also famous for their yummy pies. It is in huntin' country so you should stop by if you ever get a chance.
Now I am hungry for onions rings..thanks Beth! ; )
oh you are such a giggle...I sure am craving some onion rings. Here in my neck of the woods we call the best cafe The Grain Bin...they have some good stuff but I am sure it ain't nothing to what you had. I am so glad you shared this with us...I needed a smile mama beth
Bigs Meats and More! Voted Best Backyard Burger 2006 by our local NBC station... And that is SERIOUS!
WHERE: McBee, SC
While there, depending on the season, you can pick your own peaches or strawberries!
OH AND! Here's a link if someone out there needs to take the Bigs recommendatreally seriously:
http://www.macspride.com/market.aspion
okay, so this isn't a cafe, but it's REALLY good and REALLY local. cero's heros in grapevine, tx. best sub sandwiches in the state, i'm certain. and it helps that it's on the cutest little main street in the state.
Oh, your post made me so homesick for those wonderful Texas cafes! But, I'm happy to say that we're moving back home to Houston. Our California time is over and we are Texas bound in 1 month! The first thing we want to have is a big bowl of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.
My favorite cafe is no longer around. It was Shubert's in Giddings. For almost 10 years, my mother and I would stop for a piece of pie on our way to Nanny's house. We usually bought a pie or two to share with the rest of the family. :)
Cheryl
Newbury Park, CA
Booches in Columbia, MO. It's the oldest bar west of the Mississippi still open. We don't go there for drinks but for the burgers - best you will ever have. They come dripping with grease (which is where the taste comes from) and served on a small piece of wax paper. And if you want culture - Booches is the best place to get it. They have also been chosen as the "best" from many magazines and such. Make sure you go if you are ever in town!!
Oh Beth..we have us a Dixie Castle. We have one downtown (the nicer one) and then we have one out north. And, they are only open for lunch and then dinner on the weekends only. I promise you, its the BEST...BEST....food you'll ever put in your mouth. Oh but wait....I just remembered we also have the Bakers Rack downtown too! Another fine establishment probably alot like Isaaks. I wish we had time in October while you are in Memphis to make a little hour drive north of memphis. And, I am a Memphis girl and know all the best places so just ask away and I'm happy to hook ya up in the Fall!!!
I love this story and I just love Keith to pieces. He's a mans man and he completely makes me smile!
Hugs to you both!
Fran
Jackson TN
The Hitching Post in Casmalia, CA is our favorite. It's been around forever and rumor has it that the fire in the kitchen firepit has never gone out since the place opened, way back in the day. My husband took me there on our first real date...32 years ago...and the menu has not changed since then. THE BEST filet mignon ever, with a baked potato and garlic toast. The dinner comes with a green salad, shrimp cocktail, a relish plate, and a scoop of icecream for dessert. THE BEST.
City Cafe, downtown Northport, AL (aka Tuscaloosa, AL - home of the University of Alabama) Good ole southern cooking - meats and veggies joint - be ready to wait at breakfast or lunch!
Ok Beth, I don't think you will drive to Bluffton/Hilton Head, SC but there is a little corner restrauant there that everybody from Presidents of the United States to movie stars and just us good old common folk have been to.
How I know about this is my son is a Paramedic/firefighter there and when we go to visit he and his wife that is where we eat breakfast.Now with all that said you wonder why it is so great, well it is a typical southern breakfast that just clogs up those arteries like nothing else can and it is sure enough worth waiting in line for. Now the fun part is its' name ready "THE SQUAT AND GOBBLE"
I could not believe my son would take me to some place named that but he did and BOY OH BOY it is good.
So if you are down that away sometime stop in and give it a try.
Making me hungry at 9:30 on a Friday night! I may have to do a Sonic run for a Cherry Limeade and fried pickles!! PS - Ya'll should get on twitter too.
There's a little hole in the wall place in Charleston, SC, that looks like an absolute DUMP from the outside. I was kind of scared going in! But their burgers are THE best I've ever had. There are pics on the wall of all the movie stars who have eaten there. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it, just the location. Another hole in the wall place that's near my home is called The Chat -n- Chew! :D And it's got some gooood country cookin'!!
:)
Beth...Memphis is FULL of little "holes in the wall". Ha.
Gus's chicken is ridiculous and their fried pickles might change your life.
Alcenia's, also downtown, is only open for lunch because they can do whatever they want with the soul food that comes out of that kitchen.
Cozy Corner BBQ does NOT have time to kid around with their ribs. It's a serious undertaking.
And Happy Mexican keeps me happy 2 or 3 times a week. (I'm from Texas and need salsa for my blood to be balanced right.)
Thanks for the pastor's wives conference - I'm about to jump in with both feet to that world and it was great to think through those alternatives BEFORE the aggravation comes.
We live in San Angelo, and we camp in Junction EVERY Easter! Definitely might have to make a trip into town to eat there!
I love how you tell the story, that makes it even better!!!
The Smokehouse in Lindsay, Tx. Best BBQ and the biggest order of fries and onion you have ever seen, YUM! As a kid growing up in Ft. Worth it was nothing for my daddy to load us up and head to Jacksboro for ribs at the Dairy King. Nothing better!!!
Beth, I love you. I seriously do. Thanks for sharing this story that made me laugh from beginning to end. Is not laughter one of God's most precious gifts?
I love how you tell the story, that makes it even better!!!
The Smokehouse in Lindsay, Tx. Best BBQ and the biggest order of fries and onion you have ever seen, YUM! As a kid growing up in Ft. Worth it was nothing for my daddy to load us up and head to Jacksboro for ribs at the Dairy King. Nothing better!!!
I couldn't help it as I was reading the comments I came to one from hindsight that blew me away.
I lived on Edisto Island for 20 years and definitely know about PO PIGS BBQ but before I moved to Edisto we lived in the Cola.Sc area and there was a little town called BATESBuRG/LEESVILLE that topped all BBQ. It was a buffet and was run by the sweetest Christian folks you have ever met.
They were closed on Sun. and Wed.
They had the best country cooking I have ever had from homemade noodles to homemade creamed corn,BBQ,fried chicken,meatloafand so much more and it was all you could eat Now that was some!!!!cooking and eating.
I always love your posts.....seems there is more than one SC girl on here, so take your pick.....sounds like a good enough reason to spend some time with some of us under moss laden old oak trees minus the mosquitoes! Just please, give us a holler so we know which tree! Make plenty of time cause we like our meetings to be sweet but slow to end!
Inlet Crab House - a bright blue with hot pink shutters dive in quaint fishing village Murrells Inlet, SC. The booths have square real boat seat cushions, there's a screen door at the front that bangs nice and loud, and they have the best cup of she-crab soup you ever put in your mouth.
Have you been to Babe's yet? There are several of them. We go to the one in downtown Roanoke. We drive from Wichita Falls down there to eat (about 2 hrs one way). Roanoke is south of the Texas Motor Speedway. This particular Babe's has only two choices to pick from, fried chicken and chicken fried steak. While waiting outside to be seated you can run across the street and purchase Dublin Dr Pepper. Have you been to the Dublin Dr Pepper factory? Great trip, also.
Barbara Jeans is my favorite on St. Simons Island...I'm obsessed with their veggies
Fant's in Tioga, Louisiana. It is a dive if you've ever seen one - in an old Dairy Queen. Let me tell you - it's the best seafood around here! They also boast of the best fried green tomatoes in the world. They have pretty much the best of anything fried. Seriously. Give me a call, and I'll go with any of you!
Downtown Barbeque in Willard, MO. Outside of Springfield Missouri. Brisket is so tender and flavorful you don't even need sauce but the sauce (not too sweet, just right) is so good, you have to have it. Better get ya some...MMB
The Turtle Club out in the sticks in Fairbanks, Alaska. They throw a piece of prime rib the size of my head on a plate, swimming in blood. I'm southern to the core and love my meat served while it's still alive :) Never had a slab o' meat so good in my life! And of course, don't forget the honkin' baked potato with all the fixins'!
This is my first post but I read often. I guess the subject of food brought out the post? :-) Anyway, if you ever find yourself in Southport, NC, there is truly a hole in the wall called The Yacht Basin Provision Company (the name is almost as long as the building is wide!)that has a little of everything - including fabulous onion rings. But also a great cheeseburger and a killer crab burger, and then there's the key lime pie . . . It looks like a true dive from the outside but there is great atmosphere - it sits right on the water so you've got delicious food, rippling water, and an ocean breeze. What's not to like? I go whenever I'm lucky enough to be at the coast.
Looking forward to seeing you in Greensboro, NC this summer. My friends and I are always educated and inspired by your Bible studies! Thank you for sharing your gift with so many women.
Ok Beth you are about to be the most jealous woman when I tell you about this "cafe" in Hatch, New Mexico. I grew up in El Paso and you could take a back road through the Pecan Orchards (which were absolutely georgeous)to Hatch. On the way, there is an older couple who open their home (in the living room) in the evenings for dinner to serve the most wonderful Mexican Food you have ever put in your mouth. The deal is that you never knew what you were going to get. Every day was different AND once all the food was gone....it was gone! People would stand outside the front door for an hour to be told they were out of food. AND....it was only $5.00 a plate. Tacos, enchiladas, tamales, rice, beans, empanadas, sopapillas, menudo, caldillo, salsa, fresh made tortillas and chips, etc. I miss it terribly here in Dallas. No name for this place by the way....just "the house on the way to Hatch".
Isaac's Mom
The Schooner Seafood Restaurant. Nederland, Texas, has been around since I was a little girl. I still remember playing in their phone booth--and it's still there although it doesn't work any more. They have the same stuffed fish, crab, swordfish, etc. on the walls. Their broiled fillet of flounder is delicious, and their fried shrimp is like no other! Always a tough decision when I go.
Cotham's (the original) England Arkansas. This is home of the hubcap (true size) burger, rings & some incredible Mississippi Mud pie...this is located in an old hardware store that usually has a few chickens off the porch of the cafe.
i live in nw ark, but we visit starkville, ms every-once-in-awhile b/c my hubby graduated from MSU. last fall we stopped at this place called cristy's (i think) and they served us a side of beef ground up on a bun and HOMEMADE onion rings that even my husband couldn't finish eating, even with help from me and our 2 boys and girl. excellent burgers and to die for onion rings....your story brought back the memory! thanks!
Because of my travels across the state I could give you several suggestions...in fact, I always suggested the 'game' to be played at the annual Christmas party at my old job would be 'Name that Bathroom' 'cause we made so many pitstops in weird places.
As for food. Oh, girl. Just a stone's throw from Henrietta, TX across the Oklahoma border just before you get to Waurika...Bill's Catfish. O.H. M.Y. G.O.O.D.N.E.S.S.
Thin, crispy catfish pieces...so they don't taste fishy but they still taste like fish, not just crunchy cornmeal. And they have a house dressing that is the best thing ever on the hushpuppies. mmmm....MMMMM!!!
Oh, and I do love the Moore girls. This post about food, the previous post about big hair. Definitely Texas girls!
Next time you're in San Antonio, you have got to go to Patty's Taco House on Hackberry Street. I may cry just thinking about it.
Well, Miss Beth, here I sit in Abilene with the Texas Monthly right beside me. You and Keith just need to drive north and west a bit. We have an Italian restaurant here, Spano's, that has the best Guiseppi Salad you ever ate--fresh greens, fresh mozarella, fresh tomatoes, and homemade dressing. All for $7.99 at lunch, complimented with homemade bread and dipping oil.
Then, there is Sharon's Lytle Land and Cattle Company, where everything is beef and all the beef is tasty. They do serve some chicken, I think. The steak fries are delish.
There is a steak house, The Beehive, in an old renovated downtown building, that has amazing food--everything there is amazing. Another renovated building in the downtown area, Cypress Street, changes its menu often, but always offers gourmet meals and fabulous service. These aren't exactly cafe's, but they are truly amazing food.
Harold's, a barbecue place downtown was in TX Monthly awhile back and just has melt-in-you-mouth brisket, sausage, and pulled pork.
Closer to you, in Hutto, there is the Texan Cafe, which has pie happy hour with a long, long list of pies every afternoon.
Lamberts in Ozark, MO.
Famous for....Beth, are you ready for this....
"Throwed Rolls"
Gotta be a on your toes or you could have a baseball sized, buttery yeast roll in your hair!!!!
Beth, very well written! hahaha
Oh man, I love onion rings!
I was not aware of the calorie thing if I take them off of another plate. I will always have my husband order them from now on...whether he wants them or not.
Glad to have you back, Bethmoore.
Melana (and I'm saving my dollars for Houston, for me and Miesta Moose. Already have a room and roomies!)
Best place to eat in my hometown is a local place (been there for years!) called Cypress Grill. YUMMY!! Looks like a shack. Good eatin'!
Girls, y'all are killing me. I'm not kidding. Keith and I are about to do that spend-a-year-in-an-RV thing with the dogs and go see the U.S. of A. from the windows of your local cafes. but only if they have air conditioners. We don't eat there otherwise.
Keith keeps saying, "Read me another one, Baby." I think this is his favorite post.
Way to go, South Carolina! You guys must have some food! There are a ton of y'all! And, Joan, I have a mind to book a flight to Michigan and come to your restaurant post haste. I love me some homemade mashed potatoes like nobody's business.
AND of course I've had throwed rolls! Don't insult my good taste!
Y'all are the most fun blog community in the world. I love this. I love y'all.
I love your random post and one about a mere onion ring...It don't get much better than that
As for favorite hole in the wall I live most of the time in New Orleans and there are just too many to list. To name a few though, there is a kind of new place since the storm on Elysian Fields called Sammies. OH MY they have this sandwich called the Rae Rae and I swear it has a whole fried chicken on it and IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!!! AMAZING!!
Then of course there is the Camillia(i think I spelled that right) Grill.
And Then there is the Bakery which moved to Harrahan after the storm. Koz has the best the best Lip smakin, finger lickin, gravy drippin, two roles of paper towels messy good roast beef poboy ever in the history of poboys!!
Then there is Deanie's who has really great onion rings to. And these are just to name a few. Ok now I am ready to leave the beach and head home for some food!!!
When we relocated to New England, this southern girl was missing southern food. I was thrilled to discover Big Mamou's Cajun Restaurant in Springfield, MA. Everything homemade and they even had "real" sweet tea not the bottled imposters (a rarity in the north). It was in a tiny place seating maybe 35-40 tops so if they were full you had to stand along the wall about 3 feet from the diners but sooo good! I see they've now expanded to Williamsburg, MA but can't vouch for that one as we are back in the south. http://www.chefwaynes-bigmamou.com/index.html
Another great spot is "The Lobster Shack at Two Lights" at Cape Elizabeth Maine. You can sit perched right out on the point over the ocean but watch out because a seagull flew down and took a shrimp off of my son's plate. Inside seating is quaint too. http://lobstershacktwolights.com/
Girl...if you are from TX surely, surely you have been to Lockhart and had the best Smoked Brisket in the world. I MISS IT!!! I'm going to have to look up Junction and see how far it is from all my fam. Gosh I want to move back to Texas...I need some REAL BBQ and REAL Mexican Food!!! :)
Siesta Beth,
I don't know of a cafe around here but doggone, I'd sure like to taste those onion rings! They sound absolutely deeeee-li-cious!
Blessings,
Ginger
hi keith! (was it hard to share?) :)
We just moved to a city in Texas so I GOOGLED Junction to see where it was...funny what it was next to. I've been known before to drive out of my way for onion rings.
thanks for the tasty texas tip.
Simply Good BBQ in Mossy Head, FL. It's awesome. And off of I-10. Exit 70 in FL to be exact. You have to try it!
Next time you're in Birmingham, AL, you must (MUST!) go to Pete's Famous Hotdogs. Not Sneaky Pete's. That's a sad attempt at copying. Pete's. Plain ole Pete's. It's located downtown in an old elevator shaft. The place consists of a counter, a grill, a few bags of chips, REAL BOTTLE COKES, and a man named Gus who is completely hunched over from cooking hotdogs for well over 50 years. There are no tables and very little room to stand. Most people take their hotdogs (yes, plural - I've seen my dad eat 5 at a time) outside and sit on the curb to eat. You must order your hotdogs "all the way" and NEVER ask what "all the way" means. Just eat them.
My dad has been going there since before he could see over the counter. He started taking my brother and me there before we could see over the counter. He is now taking my children there - and they aren't quite tall enough to see over the counter. Gus calls my dad "Montgomery" (that's where he's from) and always gives him a hotdog to eat while he's fixing the rest of his order. It's my dad's dream to own Pete's one day....hope that comes true for him!
Ok, I'm feeling shameful because I did not offer up my former hometown spots and current best in my current home, Austin- I celebrated Issack's with you because I have spent so many delicious meals and memories there with my ranching friends- here are the Greenville, Texas "not to be missed" spots- CB's burgers( the best of the best), Ernies Barbeque(served presidents, governors and high school homecoming queens), and my favorite- the Royal Drive Inn- cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper served with shaved ice- In Austin, Matts El Rancho Restaurant, the best of Tex Mex- Kathy
I don't have one for you, but I am drooling for those onion rings!
My family and I just went for a mini one day get away to Springfield, Illinois to check out our hotel for your conference in November...lol! While we were there though we checked out this famous diner that has been there since 1950.It is called the Cozy Dog "Home of the Dog on a Stick"! That's right they made the first corn dog and boy were they good! I would highly suggest it when you are up here for the conference!
Red Knapps Dairy Bar in Rochester Hills, MI has theeee best burgers, seasoned fries and hand spun milkshakes in ALL THE LAND! The burgers are large and flat with extraordinary flavor and a bun that I've never seen any where else. The fries so golden, crispy with an out of this world salt and pepper seasoning. And I usually get a mocha milkshake...coffee in a milkshake...divine!
They have black and white check floor with 50 decor, horseshoe shaped bars with spinny round stools. I used to spin around and around as a little girl, taking a bite of my burger and then spinning again to stop and take another bite.
I am craving a burger (I like swiss cheese and grilled onions on mine;) now and it's in my hometown which is 3 hours away!
What a fun blog! I'm hungry now! Beth wanna do lunch and talk Esther? I'm on week 3:)
JAKE & DORTHY'S CAFE in Stephenville, tx/ about 60 miles south of Ft. Worth, tx.: been going strong for 60 years. They still make the best Homemade Waffle fries & chicken fried steak!
try it sometime. It made Tx. Monthly Mag. last Nov.
cindy turner
Well, I doubt this can compete with your onion rings, but can I suggest Le Sorelle Porch & Pantry in Mount Gretna, PA for the best omelets? I am not even a morning person but their omelets and fresh homemade wheat toast are worth getting up for! It is an adorable place and I feel like I am on vacation when there. . . especially if you can snag a table on the porch in the summer. It's so good that I'm taking my Mom there for her birthday - tomorrow!
Two of our favorite restaurants one is called Koffee Kup in Hico,Tx. We always stop there on our way to see friends in Waco. Wonderful homemade everything and their pies melt in your mouth!
Monument Cafe in Georgetown another excellent cafe. Has the vintage 50's feel family owned and operated plus the food is excellent.
I just plain adore you guys... out there "road trippin". We do the same every chance we get and since we are new to Texas, we have some serious work to do. Our two dogs are much less impressive than yours. Two dachshunds. As my husband the hunter would say...they are not real dogs. The only thing they want to hunt are things that wind up in our "fenced" back yard.
The next time you're in San Diego, check out Hash House A Go Go. It's a small place, full of SoCal culture. (They claim to be about farm food, but everything is stainless steel and too-hip-for-words and tattoos and green hair.) (And even though I'm none of those things, we are treated to phenomenal service.)
Oh! And the flapjacks? Try a blackberry-granola. (Pictured here. True story. They are that big.) Or maybe a banana-brown sugar. Or if you're feeling adventurous, a strawberry-Frosted Flake.
I'm so not kidding.
The Lighthouse Restaurant in Ponce Inlet Fl. Near Daytona Beach. Amazing shack of a place with picnic tables overlooking the water (dolphins jumping) Go at sunset with plenty of bugspray. Order any fresh fish or fried platter..the real joy is taking in the scenery and talking to the staff. Real characters. If you're in the area on a Sunday..head to church at the Drive-In Christian Church..it is a HOOT. Old fashioned drive-in..hook your speaker to the car...pastor preaches from a deck above the cars, choir sings behind him, and when you want to give an "amen" you honk. I am not kidding. My husband and I sat in the car with our Dunkin' Donuts coffee and nearly died laughing when they took the collection window-to-window. Priceless.
Oh, I forgot one. In Wichita Falls...which is the 'city' if you live in Henrietta, TX...Red tacos at Casa Manana. Don't know that I've ever seen or heard of them anywhere else, though I'm sure someone else has them.
Keith will need to order them and you snitch one, though - a little greasy, but oooohhhh so good.
Hey there Miss Beth,
If you have never been to a Lambert's Cafe', you are missing out, big time !
Whenever I drove back & forth from Houston to Wisconsin, and vice versa in the summer-time, I stopped at Lambert's Cafe at least once. They are in Ozark, Missouri, Sikeston, MO; and Foley, Alabama.
But, if you are anywhere near one of them, you've GOTTA stop and eat there. The food is great, but the fun part are the "pass arounds", and their Fresh, Home-made rolls, which are called "throwed rolls", as they come out into the different sections of the restaurant, and literally toss them at people who raise their hands up [and everything is included in the relatively low price for everything you get]; and you get to have a doggie bag to bring home, too. And, don't forget the sorghum molasses to put on top of the rolls, etc. Nothin' but good ole' southern cooking there, though! And, by the way, bring your appetite! See their website here:
http://www.throwedrolls.com/
In Christ's Love,
Jennifer O.
Southern Wisconsin
And, if you like Chinese food, you have to come to my hometown for the best egg foo young and egg rolls you've ever tasted ! It is called "Cozy Inn", and it is in downtown Janesville.
But, if you can't climb stairs, order it for carry-out, then get someone else to go up them for you, as these stairs are steep. However, it is well-worth the "climb". They have lots of other items on their menu, which are great, too, but there were 4 of us girls and 2 adults in my family, so we always ended up ordering the least expensive things on the menu. And, that is this wonderful egg foo young. It comes in several different styles: beef, chicken, shrimp, & pork. And, be sure to request extra gravy, as it is so yummy!
The place has been re-decorated a few times since I'm all "grown up" now, [except for those silly stairs, mind you], but the food is still some of the best Chinese you can get your hands on.
In Christ's Love,
Jennifer O.
Janesville, Wisconsin
O Beth that makes my mouth water thinking about it. I am 7 months pregnant and its almost midnight as I read you post. I sure wish I some of those now. But if you ever make your way over to west Texas. Come see me in Midland. I will take you to the Southern Velle. It is an old night club across the tracks that they turned into a southern comfort of food. The best Chicken fried steak you can imagine. And to top it all off they have live Jazz bands. It is one of those type of places that when the mash potatoes are gone, they are gone. They just make a big batch of everything and then when its all gone they close the doors. Good food and a great family experience. Maybe one day I can treat you to lunch. Until then let us know what other great eats you find.
MIGUEL'S PIZZA ... owned & run by Miguel himself.
SLADE, KENTUCKY
Just outside the beautiful RED RIVER GORGE.
Best ever ... ask anybody!!
Beth, you are SO funny!! I'm sure you've heard of Johnnie's burgers. I'm in Oklahoma. It's famous. May even have them in Texas. I'm not sure. The best burgers and onion rings EVER!! Although I'd sure like to try Isaak's!! :) But you must try Johnnie's. But please let me go with you if you do. Let's go there after Deeper Still in December! :)
Susan in OKC
Beth,
I thought of two more in Oklahoma after I posted about Johnnie's. Irma's burgers are the bomb!! The best ever. I mean it!! Also, Raising Cane's fried chicken. They have this sauce you dip your chicken fingers in that is so good you'll just want to use a straw and drink it! Seriously! It's the chicken finger, fries, cole slaw and Texas toast kind of place. Loved your post!!
Susan in OKC
Hamburger King
Shawnee, OK
"Zip, Bang, OBU!"
This is great! I only know one place here in Topeka,KS Bobo's Drive in, only seats about 20 but the food is good (the pies are even better). It has even been on Food TV. Mom says it was THE place to go on dates and hang out.
But I'll share a couple of places that I live to go to in Shreveport LA. They are near Centenary College. Strawn's is on King's Highway right across the street from the campus. It has the best breakfast, plate lunches and burgers I have ever eaten. But save room for their pies. I mean these pies are like 8-10 inches thick. They are so good. The line is formed at the front and back of the restaurant. The groups move in and out fast. But there is always a line (good sign if you ask me) and if you like pecan pie Murrell's down the street from Strawn's has the best. My mom and dad came over from Dallas and we ate at Strawn's for breakfast, Murrell's for lunch and splurged on the best seafood at Don's Seafood all within a 5 block span of King's Highway. I just don't know of anything better than Louisiana cookin' except Texas mexican food.
I just drove up I35 past Guthrie OK and there was a Steak and Catfish place and I swear (the good kind here) there could not have been enough seats for the number of cars in the parking lot. Next time through there I have got to stop. I'll let you know if it is as good as I'm guessing.
Man! I wish my husband was like that and we could afford to travel. I absolutely love small town cafe's. I was raised on them since I grew up in a tiny little isolated town. I do dearly love a little cafe I've mentioned before called the White Pine Cafe in Troy, Idaho. A small town outside of Moscow. I can't think of anything particularly special that is different from other little cafe's in timbuktu type towns, but I like it. I think it just makes me feel at home.
For a girly lunch (but the have things the guys love too), I love to go out to Brookwood at their cafe! It is in Brookshire... You can see all kinds of beautiful flowers for your garden too!! And the servers are just sweet as can bee!!
Ok In Huntingburg Indiana there is a cute little cafe called Fat and Sassy's. So good sandwiches and soups and yummy deserts and fancy coffee's and tea. The bread pudding is to die for. My sister's husband thinks it is a girlie place and it might be but I've sure seen a lot of men in there. I don't know of any one thing that is better than the other just so fun and cute miss match table clothes etc. Love it.
Thanks for sharing. Sure needed a fun read. Its been a hard week, got a sick doggy >
Pam
IF you take 1-10 east, close to forever until you reach Tallahassee, and then go north on Hwy. 319 about half an hour, you'll find yourself in Thomasville, GA...home of MANY fantastic local joints:
George & Louie's famous greek food
Mom & Dad's Italian Restaurant
Fishbonz Grill...best steak of my life!
Izzo's soda fountain (just re-opened after some updating...which had been done for the first time since 1940something)
Red Door Deli...the best-tasting truly HEALTHY food you'll ever put in your mouth!
and MORE food stuff: take a tour of Flowers Baking Company (home of Nature's Own and Sunbeam bread and Bebo powdered doughnuts) OR Sweet Grass Dairy (home of nationally-acclaimed fresh organic cheeses) OR B. Llyod's Nuts (home of the salad toppers Paula Deen has just begun raving over) OR the Blackberry Patch (home of the famous fruit jams and syrups)!!!
Come the last weekend in April when Thomasville goes all-out to celebrate our local roses...and come check out the city that used to be at the Southern END of the railway line (before the highways took you on to Florida)...where the rich and famous vacationed over a century ago.
And then you can come "with your praise on" and worship with us at Celebration Church on Sunday morning! :)
that was such a good story, I think I need to lick my fingers. :o)
I've definitely had to think about this one.
But, Miss Beth, your post made me laugh! I wonder how many times I've driven past that little place and ignored it. Sad day! I'll have to look for it next time I'm over yonder.
Okay, as for "hole in the wall", there is a little chinese place off 290 and Gessner called Shanghai Inn. I used to work of Gessner and ordered it for take out more often than not, but oh my, it is delightful. I always get the Sweet & Sour Chicken but order the General Tso's sauce on the side, and oh, it melts in my mouth. Talking about it makes me want to go there, and it is midnight. I might need to reconnect soon with that place.
Thank you for the caloric lesson. I did not realize that by reaching across the table I incur no calories. Henchforth I will not stay my hand. You are a fount of knowledge. I luvvvv U siesta!!!
I'll keep that in mind next time we're in Junction :)
Cafe Live Forever...best scones ever. Order them with the jam and whipped butter on the side. Great food too.
Unfortunately it's here in Misawa (northern) Japan. Sorry, but hey, you never know...
I squealed in delight reading your "travelfoodlogue" --- y'all should compile these notes into a book on Texas living and dining, complete with Keith's corner of "stuff"!!!
albeit not a proper cafe, I absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend the Trafalgar Tavern here in London, just south of the river. That's where my husband and I had our wedding lunch!! It is a late-Regency building that screams "Jane Austen", and thrived as a tavern through the entire Victorian and Edwardian eras, into today. Inside, there's a coal-burning fireplace which adds to the coziness and romantic feel of the place... (see pictures here: http://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/gallery.php ). Most of all, there's the most scrumptious and crispy and light fried whitebait you'll ever taste. You'll never think of eating "whole fish" the same way. Absolutely finger lickin' wow.
maria cristina
You confirmed you were definitely my Siesta Mama when you said it doesn't count caloric-wise to eat the food off others' plates. I tell people ALL the time that if I eat from my kids plate, "it doesn't count." This story made me smile! I love little off-beaten, hole-in-the woods cafes like that. . . I've got one for you. . . but it's pretty well known. . . The Waffle House. I love, love, love me some Waffle House!
Ok - my husband got his pilot's license while we were still living in Houston. He had to fly a certain amount of hours to progress so we were always flying to different places to have dinner (and taking friends with us who were willing to go in a SMALL plane!!) My absolute favorite was the Southern Flyer Diner in the Brenham Airport. They have it set up like a 50's diner complete with a jukebox on the table and waitresses in poodle skirts!! They have fantastic burgers on homemade buns, but the BEST part is dessert! All of their ice creams and milkshakes are made from "scratch" (They say they "scratch" at their door til they let 'em in.) with BLUE BELL ICE CREAM!! (it's of course not that far away in Brenham...)
(And how I miss my Blue Bell - we moved to Wyoming 2 years ago - see you in May!!)
Oh - and you don't have to fly in - you can get to it by car... :) It's getting to be a great time to go to Brenham - it's bluebonnet season!
(http://www.brenhammunicipalairport.com/index_files/page0003.htm)
Dearest Beth,
You are too much! I guess I better start to liking me some onion rings... :-)
Much love,
Sharon, NC
that piece of writing belongs in an award winning novel of the "local color" style of Mark Twain. Forget the onion rings (although I know you can't)...that is truly engaging writing!
THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN TN ...so shhhh!
Foothills Milling Company
in Maryville,TN
right at the foot of the Smokey Mts.
Everything made from scrath. Best food you have ever put in your mouth.
WILD PLUM TEA ROOM in the Glades community Gatlinburg, TN comes in second. Best POPCORN SOUP you all will ever put in your mouth!
WILMA
Knoxville, TN
I have to second "Leslie's" comment about Mel's Country Cafe in Tomball, TX. If you eat their Mega Mel's Burger(1 1/2 lbs of hamburger, 1 lb. bacon, 1/4 lb. cheese plus fixin's) in less than 2 hours, you get your picture on the wall! (Not sure this is so good for your heart!) Check it out on their website www.melscountrycafe.com. I didn't have this burger, but their regular burgers are SO YUMMY! You may want to try their onion rings too!
While you are waiting on the porch to get in, the train may come by which is cool for little ones.
If you're ever in Pittsboro, NC, you must eat at the Soda Shoppe. Old fashioned milkshakes, some more to die for onion rings and Tripp's sandwich. A chicken tender sandwich smothered on Buffalo sauce!!
Zen sitting overlooking the East China sea here in Okinawa Japan....great food and an awesome view!!! My treat!!
If you're ever in Branson, MO (and what a fun wholesome place that is!) try going north about 35 miles to a well advertised place called Lombard's cafe (I THINK - it's been awhile...) They make out of this world yeast rolls and the waiters/waitresses stand and throw them from the pan to seated customers - it's great! My son's landed smack in his glass of Coke and he didn't even care - they're so good!
BABE'S CHICKEN, Roanoke, TX...north of Ft. Worth (or west of Southlake, TX on 114)....fried chicken, creamed corn, mashed potatoes/cream gravy and biscuits with butter and honey or sorghum...and some truly sassy gals serving it up. Opens at 4:30 p.m. 2 words: come early!
Beth, Thanks for the information on Isaaks. My husband and I will stop in on our next trip to San Antonio. Your 'cactus ranch' is about an hour and half from a good little Mexican food cafe, Rosa's Casitas, here in Eldorado. We have a small 'Beth' Bible study group and would be honored to take you to lunch sometime. Thank you for your dedication to studying God's Word and sharing you love for it.
my hubs and I are constantlythe look out for places like that! Maybe someday we can hit Isaaks!
Hey, can we catalog this by state and put together a guide that can be left in your car in the event you find yourself in the vicinity of any of these places? (And by 'vicinity' I mean within a couple of hours, because they ALL sound worth the drive!)
Beth, my son used to live in Macon, Ga., where there's a little place that has specialized in hotdogs since 1916. It's a hole-in-the-wall, but they have the best hotdogs I've ever eaten.
Nu-way is the name of the place. If you're ever in those parts, give it a try. Thank you for your love and care for us pastors' wives. God bless. Love your books.
Andrea
Bethmoore:
This post has made me so hungry and really onion rings... why I could almost make a meal out of those things... and truly my mom has said for years if you take something from someone else.. it doesn't count poundage wise.
I live in Austin, but my family lives in Houston and Magnolia... I will have to agree with one of the other siesta's that Mels right outside of Tomball makes one mean hamburger. And yes it is usally packed when we go. Keith would probably like the burgers because they make a huge burger and if you eat the whole thing it use to be free... Jumbo size only in Texas of coarse...
And now I bet Isaaks will have a slue of people who will drive to Junction just to come in and eat for those darn rings... Of coarse the A/c is a must...
Thanks so much for sharing the post. I was laughing so hard I almost started crying...
Well enjoy those little babies ... I bet Jackson can't wait to see his Bibby... thanks for sharing with us your adventures... I just love your posts.
Lichelle
Post a Comment
<< Home