A few months ago I wrote a blog called “Keeping it Real and Reverence for God”. There I admitted that even though I resonate with my generation’s passion for spiritual authenticity, I find myself uncomfortable with some of the crass and colloquial statements that we sometimes use to express our feelings of anger or confusion toward God. It wasn’t just a coincidence that I had just finished reading Leviticus and gotten the feeling that perhaps many of us had forgotten the awe-inspiring nature of the God at whom we are hurling these comments. I made the following statement there that summarizes the tenor of my blog-post:
"The hard truth is that we are going to endure times that we feel God is absent or even that He is forsaking us in a certain situation but we should be careful how, when, and to whom we verbalize it. Perhaps, in smaller matters that mostly have to do with out distrust in God, we may need to repent of our unbelief. In matters of great disaster that leave our heads completely spinning in devastation, perhaps we should first confess our anger and grief in our personal prayer lives or maybe even with an individual and very trusted accountability partner. He obviously knows when we are angry with Him, so we should confess this to Him, plead with Him, and pour out our hearts to Him in truth, butmust we always publicly express our displeasure toward God?"
I tried to make a distinction between comments we make to God privately in prayer or whatnot and what we say to God or about God in a public forum (for example, a blog or a sermon, etc). And then I made a qualification that I hope you caught. I said, “Perhaps you have better answers and solutions than I do.” This was my attempt to warn you that I even though I felt fair enough warrant to say what I did, I also knew there was much more to the story.
And there is.
And I’ve been doing a lot of reading in that direction because I never want to get too stuck in my theological viewpoints that I miss out on allowing Scripture to knock down my tightly held interpretations. I think sometimes we search Scripture in order to look for support on viewpoints we already maintain, when we really should expect Scripture more often than not to confront and destroy those viewpoints- after all, we are human and we’ve been wrong before, right? So we can be wrong again. I have on occasion seen people maintain viewpoints that are so obviously contrary to what Scripture says in effort to defend a position that they have held for many years. To see this sort of behavior firsthand is astonishing. It is also one of my greatest personal fears. So I did more study because I felt there was more depth to this tension that we experience as Christians- this tension of fearing and showing reverence to God while at the same time maintaining confidence to approach Him and voice our despair and unbelief to Him.
In addition to looking through some of Jeremiah, the Psalms, Job, and Lamentations, I’ve read two things that have caught my attention lately: a book called “The God I Don’t Understand: Reflections on Tough Questions of Faith” by Christopher J.H. Wright and an article called “If God is Good and Sovereign, Why Lament?” by Nicholas Wolterstorff (published in Calvin Theological Journal 2001). Both of these publications have me thinking a whole lot about the literature that reflects a voice of protest and lament in the Bible itself.
So, What is Lament?
To use Wolterstorff’s explanation “The lament, at its heart, is giving voice to the suffering that accompanies deep loss, whatever that loss may be. Lament is not about suffering. Lament is not concerning suffering. Lament does not count the stages and try to identify the stage in which one finds oneself. Lament is the language of suffering, the voicing of suffering. Behind lament are tears over loss. Lament goes beyond the tears to voice the suffering. To voice suffering, one must name it- identify it. Sometimes that is difficult, even impossible. The memories are repressed so that the suffering is screened from view. Or one is aware of it, in a way, but in naming it, identifying it for what it is, would be too painful, too embarrassing. So one resists. Then, one cannot lament. One suffers without being able to lament. Lament is an achievement. Lament is more, though, than the voicing of suffering. The mere voicing of one’s suffering is complaint, not lament. Lament is a cry to God. This presupposes, of course, that lament is the action of a believer” (42-43).
Wright also made a comment that hit me in between the eyes. I hope you will read it all the way through:
"In the Bible, which we believe is God's Word, such that we find in it is what God wished to be there, there is plenty of lament, protest, anger, and baffled questions. The point we should notice (possibly to our surprise) is that it is all hurled at God, not by his enemies but by those who loved and trusted him most. It seems, indeed, that it is precisely those who have the closest relationship with God who feel most at liberty to pour out their pain and protest to God- without fear or reproach. Lament is not only allowed in the Bible; it is modeled for us in abundance. God seems to want to give us many words with which to fill in our complaint forms as to write out thank-you notes. Perhaps this is because whatever amount of lament the world causes us to express is a drop in the ocean compared to the grief in the heart of God himself at the totality of suffering that only God can comprehend” (50-51).
And then he says something even more striking:
"It surely cannot be accidental that in the divinely inspired book of Psalms there are more psalms of lament and anguish that of joy and thanksgiving. These are words that God has actually given us. God has allowed them a prominent place in his authorized songbook. We need both forms of worship in abundance as we live in this wonderful, terrible world…I feel that the language of lament is seriously neglected in the church. Many Christians seem to feel that somehow it can’t be right to complain to God in the context of corporate worship when we should all feel happy. There is an implicit pressure to stifle our real feelings because we are urged by pious merchants of emotional denial, that we ought to have “faith” (as if the moaning psalmists didn’t). So we end up giving external voice to pretended emotions we do not really feel, while hiding the real emotions we are struggling with deep inside. Going to worship can become an exercise in pretence and concealment, neither of which can possibly be conducive for a real encounter with God. So, in reaction to some appalling disaster or tragedy, rather than cry out our true feelings to God, we prefer other ways of responding to it.
It’s all part of God’s curse on the earth.
It’s God’s judgment.
It’s meant for a warning.
It’s ultimately for our own good.
God is sovereign so that must make it all OK in the end” (52).
And then comes the real clincher. Wright says, "But our suffering friends in the Bible didn't choose that way. They simply cry out in pain and protest against God- precisely because they know God. Their protest is born out of the jarring contrast between what they know and what they see" (53).
Wolterstorff gives two main parts to a lament: First, lament is a cry to God for deliverance: “Deliver me, O God, from this suffering” (see Psalm 22:19-21a as an example). Second, lament is a cry to God of “Why? “Why, O God is this happening?” (Psalm 22: 1-2 as an example) I don’t understand it…I cannot discern your hand in this darkness” (44). It is crucial as believers in Christ that the “the cry occurs within the context of the yet of enduring faith and ongoing praise, for in raising Christ from the dead, we have God’s word and deed that he will be victorious in the struggle” (52).
Now I’ve never uttered a lament in my life. I’ve complained, don’t get me wrong but I’ve never composed or verbally expressed something of my own in the form of a biblical lament. If I am to be honest, I must admit that my personality tends to want to err on the side of reverence for God and unwavering trust no matter the horror of the situation rather than choose the route of raw authenticity. I don’t say this to boast, for I am obviously numbered among those “pious merchants of emotional denial” who lay pressure on people to stifle their real feelings that Wright so eloquently rebukes. And I am openly grappling with Wright’s words. I think he may be right about me. Just like those who I think have stepped over a boundary and offended God in their attempt to be “authentic”, I think in my attempt to “reverence” God I may have been emotionally aloof and callous toward real human suffering. In this I have ignored my own Savior’s haunting words, “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” Over the past few weeks of studying lament and protest in the biblical text, I’ve felt a humanness that I don’t always feel. I haven’t felt as dismissive of suffering or brokenness. I feel a little more in touch with reality. So this is me being theologically vulnerable with you today. And it ain’t easy.
Now back to our previous issue- the paradox. The paradox is something like this- we have confidence to voice our despair and our confusion to God but at the same time we must remember to whom we speak. Now in this blog post I am trying to come clean that I may have swung too far on the pendulum, but there is of course the polar opposite extreme. There are a couple of passages that draw a line for us concerning our protests and laments to God that I think we must keep in mind. Psalm 73 is a passage that often gets my attention. The Psalmist Asaph compares the righteous and the wicked and he despairs that the wicked are carefree and prosperous. Why do the faithful exert so much energy when there is no advantage for them over the wicked? He then lets us in on something- he wouldn’t speak this out loud to others because he knows he would betray God’s children. He refrained from speaking disturbing words to the people of God because he knew they could cause serious and perhaps lasting damage. This is profound. In addition to Psalm 73, there is a fascinating passage in Jeremiah where Jeremiah says something absolutely SHOCKING:
"You understand, O LORD; remember me and care for me. Avenge me on my persecutors...When your came, I ate them; They were my joy and my heart's delight, For I bear your name, O Lord God Almighty...Why is my pain unending and my wound grievous and incurable? Will you be to me like a deceptive brook, like a spring that fails?" (Jer. 15:15-17)
Okay, so Jeremiah has just asked God why his pain is unending even though he has lived faithfully and in painful isolation for God’s very name, and then he says to the Lord, “Will you be to me like a spring that fails?” This is bold, Jeremiah, very bold. This is Scripture, mind you, and I am getting uncomfortable. God then says:
"If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman" (Jer. 15:19).
Here God’s words to Jeremiah show that even though we have a voice with Him, there is a line that we can cross when we protest and lament. Jeremiah may need to watch his mouth at this point. The Lord has deemed Jeremiah’s words to be worthless, though of course He allows him the opportunity to repent. There are boundaries to our protests.
The point of this blog was to take you through a theological journey I am going through- one of dealing with the paradox of the Christian life. As Wolterstorff pointed out in his essay, there have been many in our theological tradition resistant to following the biblical writer’s example and fully partaking in lament (Augustine, Aquinas, and Calvin are just a few examples). And they had their reasons. Some of them are pretty good reasons. For example, Calvin would have voiced his suffering but would not have cried out “Why?” since he believed he knew the answer to that question: suffering is sent from the hand of God for our good. As Wolterstorff says, “We must choose, then, between the massive weights of our theological tradition, on the one hand, and following the psalmist and permitting ourselves to lament, on the other. Should we choose against the tradition, that choice must not be quick, or glib…We must know what we are doing when we make the choice; we must realize the consequences” (50). Wolterstorff who wrote in the wake of the early death of his own son chose to lament but he is careful to caution us to make our choice intelligently.
Be assured- these are theological questions and I know they’re tough. These are questions concerning how we apply and interpret biblical texts, whether or not we feel that we have the freedom to speak in the same way the biblical authors spoke. And if we believe we do have that freedom, then just how far is too far? Where is the line? So, faced with the paradox and the promise that some amount of pain is inevitably coming your direction- how will you respond? Will you swing toward the direction of refusing to verbalize your deepest questions and uncertainties or will you lament like the Psalmist or like the prophet Jeremiah? And beyond that, do you think lament should be used more commonly in corporate worship contexts?
As far as I am concerned these are very difficult questions without any simple answers, but this doesn’t keep me from asking you where you stand in the midst of all of this and what insight you may have.
Praise the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph; the God of David, Solomon, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, Peter, and Paul. Praise the God who carries His people through a dark and broken world and grants us bright hope for an everlasting tomorrow. The God who will one day light the beacons of heaven, sound the trumpets, and until that great day scatters glimpses of triumph for us through all the tragedy.
272 Comments:
Melissa,
Thanks so much for sharing this lesson, as well as your personal journal!
Brandy
Houston, TX
Mine is not "why", I deserve hell. Mine is "how long". Believing God coupled with "life" took me to square one in my then thirty YEAR relationship with God. I did not believe HIM. I edited Scripture - "not me", "I'm not righteous", "that doesn't apply to me". It was heinous.
Once I stopped that and decided to take Scripture to mean what it said, my Faith has been restored, I keep Torah, love the Sabbath and enjoy more freedom than I ever could have imagined.
Now, I continue to be blessed mightily, walk in obedience to all God shows me in Scripture and fail miserably. I pray and I lament "how long". I try to keep the tightrope line of respect, but I have BEEN to LA-Ment.
God can handle me as long as I am humble and respectful. He can handle the truth of my emotions and my misconceptions about Him. But I need to keep WHO HE is in mind.
Just my 2 cents.
Anne
Melissa, I love how you make my head hurt trying to follow what you've written! Thank you for laying these thoughts out so clearly and carefully. I praise our Awesome God with you today!!
I had a pastor who would often incorporate the writing of a Psalm of Lament into Bible study courses and even counseling sessions. Though rarely were these expressed publicly, personally I found it very comforting to lay it out there and then let it go. I almost always felt God's immediate love and compassion when I was through. I haven't written one in quite a while, not because I'm perfectly content, but because I've forgotten how powerful it was. Thanks for the reminder.
Thank you also for being so transparent and oepn about your journey. You really build and encourage me with your thoughtful and honest discussion.
My friend! I will revisit that any day! Thanks for taking me on this journey with you! H
Interesting that you posted this today as yesterday I spent some time listening to Michael Card's The Lost Language of Lament (http://www.sbts.edu/resources/lectures/icw/the-lost-language-of-lament/) and Worshiping the God Who Takes Everything Away (http://www.sbts.edu/resources/lectures/icw/worshiping-the-god-who-takes-everything-away/)a two part series that he taught on last year. You both have some similar thoughts and go deeper in different areas. It is interesting as he pointed out that those who did lament in the Bible almost always ended up in worship to our God! Thank you for your words and truth spoken!
Your post is so wonderful I am going to study it in depth. Our relationships with the Lord are so personal, mysterious and our own. The fact he is our God and wants to be a father to us in every way is mind boggling. Praise God for God!
Wow. Love stuff that make me think and seek. Wow.
I am convinced we will NEVER have healthy hearts before God if we cannot learn to express both ecstatic joy and deep lament to Him within at least the private places of our relationship. How can God turn our mourning into dancing if we refuse Him our mourning? This, Darling One, is a true theological article that invites the deepest thinkers to THINK. Well done.
Dearest Melissa,
God remembers that we are dust, he always deals with us as we are and where we are. Thankfully, and though I believe that we have much to learn in Western Christianity about the fear and reverence of God, I also believe we have a lot to learn about being honest with our own emotions. There is a right way and a wrong way to say anything, and so dear girl (your scholarship is so admirable) I would love to hear what you have to say about the process of appeal, more than just "prayer" if there is such a thing as just "prayer". My soul has learned that crying out to my God, is effective in both bringing me peace and bringing answered prayer. Shalom
I am not sure I can even answer this in the way I should or if I will stay on point but as my family and myself are in a season of suffering and facing serious situations, in this 4 months and counting season, I have gone to my bathroom and knelt at the jacuzzi crying my eyes and heart out to God. I have had moments(in other trials) where I have cried and then got angry at God and I knew I had crossed the line that time.
I know this, I am safe to go to God and talk it out with Him, cry it out with Him. Be honest and truthful before him. I always get to this point, after crying out before Almighty God, I have to keep bowed before Him and accept his help and his answers no matter what that may look like and trust Him. Every single time I take
it to God and truly take my honest feelings and thoughts before him, that is when He moves in my life.
One last thing that just came to mind, even Jesus, in the Garden of Gethsemane said, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death." Jesus fell to the ground and prayed before His Father. Not my will but your yours!
I have to be able to lament before God, it is relationship that draws me to, even if His answer is no.
You know, I was just thinking about some of these things after some of your mother's comments about her trip to India in Bible study Tuesday night. It took me back to my early adulthood when I was grappling with extremely painful memories from my childhood. Up to that point, I'd never laid out the "why" questions before God because somehow I'd concluded that God, knowing that it would be alright in the end, wasn't really touched by my pain. But as I was reading the verse "Jesus wept" (John 11:35), I had the closest thing I've ever had to a vision and saw clearly that He felt every bit of my pain in those painful circumstances and even grieved that I thought that it didn't matter to Him. So in my mind lamenting to God is verbalizing the pain to Someone that has felt it, too, and, in doing so, working through it somehow.
But even in lamenting we must never forget that we are talking to God, not just a buddy. We so often view and even portray Him as a "best friend" or as a white-haired grandfather in the sky. By doing that, we strip Him of His power in our minds and end up with disrespectful prayers and lack of hope. What we really need to do is approach Him with some R-E-S-P-E-C-T! I've found that my prayers, lament or otherwise, completely change when I take a few moments to remember Who I'm talking to, that He's not just a little bit bigger than me or even a lot bigger - His "size" and power are immeasurable. I'm so small and weak compared to Him that I can't help starting off a prayer wondering, "What am I that You are mindful of me?" Approaching God with the respect He deserves makes it so much easier to bend the knee spiritually and speak from a place of humility, no matter the circumstance.
This is such deep thinking. I guess I would be more on the reverent side in light of tragedies. However, at the same time, I think I get too casual with God in my relationship with Him. I feel I can say anything, anytime, anywhere, and I wonder if I'm too flippant. For me - it's difficult to find the right balance between His holiness (of which I need more awareness) and our personal relationship. When I sat outside this morning with the wind blowing on my face, I could envision the Holy Spirit touching my face in the wind. Too casual? Yet I don't like to question His will. Too stiff? It's an on-going part of relationship with the most holy God.
Thank you Melissa for sharing your heart!
How thought provoking,I'm sure I'll visit this many times in order to get the full impact of what you shared. This is so well written I hope everyone takes the time to read and re-read this. How, I praise Him for allowing me to humbly come before the mercy seat in repentance and how thankful I am that He not only knows my lament before I lament but He also hears me as I pour it forth. May we never forget WHO HE is and always show deep respect and reverence in every regard of our Lord, God Almighty.
Deborah
Pennsylvania
Melissa, I love your posts. They are long and challenging, but very deep and I appreciate them.
I would say, we need to be honest and respectful.
Living in the fear of the Lord.
I would also say, isnt this a good way to practice the praying of Scripture, that your dear Mother and other teachers have suggested.
I think that is a good direction for myself to take.
Wow Melissa! Your blog really got me thinking. I think God does want us to lament to Him. He wants to hear the outcry of our heart, this is real intimacy. God doesn't want us to be pretentious with Him. He knows our heart anyway so we might as well be honest with him. Thank you for sharing your heart with us.
Monica
Clinton Twp, MI
Whew! Like mother like daughter. Woman of many words!! :)
Amanda,
Thanks for this article. I tried for so long not to share those feeling with God (knowing He knew them already). My faith suffered greatly. When I did not share my deep hurts with him, I missed out on his deep healing and blessing. I am now at a place where I cry out to God in my private time and sometimes with my close friends. God is faithful and comforts the hurt and my faith is stengthened. I no longer expect God to change it, just show me he is there with me .... perhaps because I need to learn something from this period. That is huge for me! God is not out there to make me miserable, though sometimes it takes miserable for me to learn to trust. He is always good, always loving and will always be. Thanks for this deep thought.
Jan
Melissa, I am so glad you came back around to this. I had felt that your first post missed something key. That relationship with the Lord is just that... relationship, dynamic and alive. But one where there is divine other wordly safety to be as broken and as bleeding as I was when I was found strewn open on the operating table of the Great Surgeon. Anyhow thanks for your vunlerability and you openess to admit that there might be more to the lament. Beautiful. I think a good way to think of it is how to we argue with our spouses? With our friends? With people we know love us, but we may not be perceiving them that way? Hopefully, there is love and respect in those laments as well as raw emotions and authenticity.
First of all, thank you for this very thought-provoking blog.
I have for quite some time now held some of the deepest hurts from my past within me, because I felt that if I voiced them (even to God) that God and others would think I wasn't a strong believer. I have thought that voicing these hurts would show me as a fake, instead of someone who just needs to get it all out. Recently, my pastor preached a sermon entitled, "Try Tears." My initial reaction to this sermon was, "No, I'm not a baby. I know God is going to work everything out for good. So, I'll just suck it up." Towards the end of the sermon, my tears were unstoppable and I found myself on my knees crying out to God, "WHY?" I still don't know "WHY?" but I feel the presence of God so closely now. I feel like he had just been waiting for me to cry out to him so he could comfort me. He was wanting to comfort me all along, and was just waiting for me to invite him in.
I'm going to print this post out and go back over it tonight before bed because I really feel the Lord wants to do a work with in this area. I've got to stop being so "closed" up. Yet, at the same time I too feel like there is a balance between being too open in public. I never want to come across that my pain is so great that I can't see the peace and comfort that Christ brings within the pain. Yes, the suffering is hard. Oh, but the grace and love of Christ surpasses it all and I want to be able to convey that in the midst of pain and suffering. And, ultimately I want others to see my faith in the midst of suffering so that they can be pointed to the cross.
Thanks so much for such a real message, Melissa!
Wow, thanks!
Melissa,
I have had many reasons to lament as of late - and have done much lamenting in the past when the circumstances may not have warranted. However, recently (and with a little help from you mom in the Esther study) my circumstances seem to be tables set against me (and my family) which I am prayerfully waiting for God to turn. I approach the throne of God much like Esther - with much trepidation, but with the sure hope of deliverance. I have put on my best robes of respect, honor and praise to tell Him of the tables set against me - His bride. My love for Him is undeniable but His for me is overwhelming. The balance is sometimes more than I can absorb. He has great plans for me and has prepared me for such a time as this.
Shelly
Dearest Melissa,
One more note, your blog essay is wonderful and totally thought provoking, remember lex parsimoniae, or Occams razor is best in most forums. All God's best. Shalom
Wow, Melissa. I'm with my family on spring break here in California and only have half a second to check the blog - so don't yet have the time to read all you've written - but I will so look forward to doing just that - when I'm back home in Alaska and have the time. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading,
Warm in Alaska
(and this week, I'm Really Warm in California)
My head is spinning and I feel like the brand new freshman that accidentally sat down in a theology graduate program class.
Beth, you captured a lot of what I was thinking in what you said. If you can't express the true depth of your despair to God, who can you express it to?
For me, without being able to hit my knees in the deepest moments of despair, I wouldn't still be here. I would have lost my life to suicide as a young teen. God stepped in and saved my life through the crying out of myself and a couple of very faithful friends during that very dark time.
Great thought provoking post!
Melissa...you are indeed a jewel! Like Doreen said, you make my head hurt, but in a fantastic sort of way!
You really hit me when you talked about people searching scriptures to validate their own beliefs when in reality, they should be searching scripture to break down any viewpoints that aren't of God through and through.
I must say that I struggle with with this issue too. How far is too far? I really don't know. However, I do believe strongly that there is a difference in getting everything out on the table before God (lamenting) and tearing down who He is (blasphemy).
I also agree with your mom's comment--we've got to express it because how else can He turn our mourning into dancing. How else can He turn our ashes into beauty? We must give it to Him and let Him have His way with it. You know? It's kind of like journaling--it gets everything out so that healing can begin. Talking/lamenting/crying out to God allows Him to heal you.
I don't believe in corporate lamenting--unless God changes my heart otherwise. I truly feel that corporate lamenting can turn ugly in a heartbeat. You know, build off of each other until it erupts into something ugly and nasty and cruel. I've never seen this happen mind you, but with human nature, it is a definite possibility.
Thanks for challenging me. I really admire you and value your posts. Your insight and way of thinking/digging deeper captivates me. If you have any tips/how-tos in regards to more in-depth study and research, I would love to know about it! Thanks for making me look past what's in front of me and taking a closer look at what's really there. You are a blessing to many.
Rebecca
tiggerdaisy@gmail.com
Lament, by definition, presupposes a relationship between the one lamenting and the One to Whom the lament is directed. If that relationship is organic and seeks to wrestle through the reason for the lament, I believe it is appropriate to give voice to it. Even, perhaps, in a public forum if it is done respectfully. Too often, however, flippant responses to suffering lead to crass outbursts of emotion where resolving the suffering is not so much pursued as lambasting God. The "why" of suffering gets exchanged for a "how dare you" attitude. When I accuse God of doing the very thing the enemy is doing to me (in Jeremiah's case, deceiving), then I reveal my desire to vent rather than heal. On the other hand, there have been deep pits in my life when lament has been the only release. Lament becomes the voice of pain. It's at those times when the Psalms (and sometimes Lam 3) bring life when everything else in my life speaks death. I feel safe before God to pour out my pain with the very words He gives me to do so. But to shake my fist in His face with bitter indignation is to invite more discipline than I care to endure. I speak from experience, and have the scares to prove it.
Getting real with God helped me grow spirtually. Looking back, who the heck did I think I was kidding? Talk about your V-8 moment ( hits self on fore head)
How can God help us if we cover up our shame, our fears, and our heart aches?
Pride has been such an enemy for me in my relationships with others, with myself, and especially with God.
To me, this …
“whether or not we feel that we have the freedom to speak in the same way the biblical authors spoke.”
…is the heart of your concern/pondering. I would, if I may, like to address this from my point of view.
I ask you…why shouldn’t we? God has not changed! Nor has the predicament of mere humans in His light.
I say, if WISE King Solomon son of King David, whom God recognized was “after His own heart” can lament thoroughly, completely, and without fear to His God, then I too (for we serve, worship, praise, and follow the very same God) can and should do the exact same. Personally, I often poor out all of me upon the alter of my Lord, Jesus Christ. (Please do not take this as a boast!) How else is God suppose to “lead me in the everlasting way” (Psalm 139:23-24: 23 NAS my verse #2) This is how, I feel, one surrenders all!!!!
Thank You, for your post and for allowing me to reply…it’s been a while since I had a good indepth conversation about the heart of true Christianity.
Young lady, I am blown away by your level of theological reasoning!! Especially when I remember the teen-aged Melissa headed for Baylor and in-love with interior design and fashion.
GIRL- you are a breath of fresh hope in believing for Peyton and Savannah that: what God has started He will bring to completion (or continue on- for that matter). They both are in the throws of teenage mayhem... I cannot wait for some theological dicussions in the Head home with either one of them two in the future!
I am so proud of you I can hardly stand it! I wish you could see the smile on my face. Not only am I blessed by your ability to stir the mind toward personal theological stance, but your transparency is beautiful and refreshing. Our generation wants REAL Melissa. And that, Dearest One, is what you are. I love you to pieces.
Hugs and Kisses ♥,
tammie
Oh Melissa, I so feel you. I struggle in this one as well, and God bless you for your efforts to discern how to lament without being disrespectful to God!! The closest I've come to something like that was this blog post,http://www.thethiers.com/2007/09/sovereign-god.html
which like your Psalm 73 passage, I wonder if it would cause a believer to stumble, although I hope it would give more credit to those who are hurting....
Melissa
Wow! Thanks for being so honest in your search for answers. I too think I err on the side of stifling emotions - mostly out of fear that I will cross that line. I struggle with that all the time. I think though it is important to learn to express those feelings to God, because He can take them - while others around us cannot. I say that knowing I have a very long way to go. The more authentic we are with Him, the more authentic we can be to others I believe.
Thank you for making me think today.
Cynthia in OK
I was just reading a piece in USA Today online called, "Today's News Prompts Eternal Questions of Evil" when I thought I would check your blog. . . interesting how God works :-)
When I lost my daughter, I went tearfully through the book of Job and lamented along with him in the privacy of my room. I prayed. I cried. I mourned. I wrote notes and questions in my Bible. I cried some more. I prayed some more. Did some wailing and moaning. . .
That experience changed my life, and--as a bonus--washed away so much of my hurt. I still lament things sometimes, as there are still times of suffering in my life. However, I think I do so with much love and reverence, too, as I stand in awe of my sovereign God who loves me and gave Himself for me. Sometimes, when hard times come, I remember the voice of God to his much-loved Job. . . "Where were you. . . ?" as he spends about three chapters sharing things with Job that are mind-boggling awesome.
I think the key is real and reverent at the same time. Not one ounce of fake-ness, but at the same time knowing to Whom we speak.
We can have a relationship of love and REAL-ness with the Almighty Creator. What an amazing privilege.
Thanks so much for sharing, Melissa!
Melissa, this was a wonderful post to make us think. This is random and simply a question swirling in my mind. I recently had a tragic loss and begged God to help me grieve properly (as I am like you, more of a suck it up gal) and I couldn't help but think of the repeated theme of sackcloths in the Bible. I think some of that mourning was healing to the soul and instead now days we bundle it up and have to seek theropy to unpack it down the road! Just a random, but somewhat similar thought!
Kelly
Clarksville, Tennessee
Thank you Melissa for your deep insight. Over the last several months I have had reason to lament, but I have also simply spent time complaining to God. I have found, at least in my life, that the difference between true lament and complaining has been that the prayers of lament always turn into times of praise (as it is in the Psalms). I believe that in times of lament I come to the realization of who God is and that He really is Sovereign and that He does hold my future in His hands.
WOW - That was incredible Melissa!
You have been given the insight of a true student of God, not happy to be superficial but wanting to go deeper and learn all that you can. May God bless you as you seek to understand Him more.
God knows our hearts and minds better than we do ourselves. My hope is that we should ALWAYS be able to go to Him in all our good times and bad. May we never forget to "praise Him in the storm" but at the same time allow ourselves to question why He has brought us to a place that we would prefer to avoid. If we have those questions inside and DON'T share them with our God, isn't that a sin in itself?
I hope that we can seek Him always, allow Him to help us in any situation, hold onto Him with both hands and be as open and honest as we can possibly be. Who better to talk it out with than our Lord who loves us more than we can possibly image?
God bless you Melissa in your quest for life's answers,
Tina
Thank you, Melissa, for being authentic with us and encouraging me to continue in my own quest for authenticy - before God and others! We went through a time of job loss about a year ago, and I remember after MONTHS of no new employment for my husband.. sometimes wondering WHY?? What are you doing, God?? We grew SO MUCH in our faith during that time. I knew I could trust Him, and He was faithful beyond my imagination.. still is. I also know that His ways are not like ours!!! Thank goodness!
Love,
Linda
Wow, what a thoughtful and thought-provoking post. Unfortunately, I did not get to read your earlier blog post about being authentic vs. dishonoring the Lord by expressing our anger/confusion in public ways.
However, I was trying to think of times in scripture where we see that kind of public example. The two most prominent examples I could think of were the Israelites in the wilderness displaying similar discontent/anger toward God & Moses in a very public way. And I thought of David and Job displaying confusion.
In the case of the Israelites, the tone and attitude were so different than that of Job or even David. I think our Lord still looks at the heart. It stands to reason that we should probably examine our hearts before Him before we shoot off our mouths about Him publicly because we're taught that we are accountable for our words. The bible also teaches us not to sin in our anger.
However, I do believe that once we've entered into covenant relationship with Him and we've come to develop a relationship with Him, then out of that relationship comes the ABILITY to lament and emote. I approach Him as the One True God, Holy and True in all His ways as an entirely created being, seeking Him. I approach Him as a small child might approach her earthy dad and spill out my anger/ confusion/ pain, etc. In that moment, its just He and I... my creator seeing the humanity of His own creation. Just as an earthly dad would understand his daughters strong emotions, I think my heavenly Father understands them all the more and is (hopefully) not offended as long as there remains the bond of love between us.
I think its interesting to grapple with these sorts of unanswered questions because we're all in a process of sanctification and in different places in our walk with God. It helps to think about the tough questions. Thanks for your post! (and PLEASE have mercy on me if I've made anyone dumber by my comments!!)
The form says "Leave your comment" not "Leave your 10 page commentary", so I'll try to respect that.
My comment is this: the older I get, the more intimate with the Lord I get, the more authentic I get with Him and how I relate and react with Him. It's much like any relationship...friend, spouse, mother, child... So much depends on my willingness to be vulnerable, honest and humble.
I'm anxious to read the comments on this post. I'm longing for spiritual authenticity among women. Thank you for this hard,personal post! (Makes my most recent blog post on tea parties, look a bit shallow! Drats! There are only so many ways to tackle THAT subject sensitively...)
I love how you open with the fact that we all try to use Scripture to strengthen our beliefs, when we ought to use Scripture to open us up and teach us. A humble heart, indeed. I think in response, my first thoughts are God has made us to experience the entire gamut of emotions, as he does. If we don't enter the valley we can never truly know the joy that comes when He brings us out of it. I personally see myself more like you and avoid these moments. I don't like the hurt that comes. I've been amazingly blessed to have thus far avoided major tragedy in my life and so I don't know how I would really respond to it. Your article is a wonderful look into how we approach our Lord in moments of pain. I will benefit much from the distinction you made of complaining and asking God. Thank you for opening your heart and I look forward to more from you!
Melissa
Kenai, Alaska
(Don't you just love your name?!)
Melissa, I admit to not being able to understand all that is written; I'll want to read through it again. But I sure do appreciate your vunerability and time to share with us.
My tendancies would lead me to utter my laments to God until I feel his peace. I would hesitate to do so corporately because these laments are so personal. That's me. Now complaints: I think I complain far too much and it's usually the little, insignificant things. And for those, I believe authenticity needs to be checked, if only becuase what I truly believe about God, about who He *is,* cannot co-exsist with my complaining without one side proving to be a lie. Hope that made sense. =)
Happy to know others are wrestling too! I think it makes God happy that we take the time to, well, think!
Melissa, I am not sure if this will make sense but I think in my own life, I cannot come to the conclusion that God is the "I AM" if I do not confront Who He is with everything that I am experiencing and feeling. If I don't go through the difficulty in my heart and mind and see that He is the only answer to all of it, I cannot come to the place in my walk where I learn to trust Him in ALL things. I really believe that is the reason I experience the joy in my journey after a difficult trial because I do KNOW then that He is everything...I can praise His name openly and without anything holding me back because He has proven Himself once again to be my "all in all."
Thanks for making me go back to those sadly sweet precious times in my life when my suffering has caused me to know God and the fellowship of His sufferings. Please keep it coming!
Many blessings to you...you should write a book!!
Great thoughts Melissa-
It brings to mind Psalm 62:8
"Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah"
Blessings~
Marita
Wow! I really needed to read that. I, too, struggle with lament. I know that my God is powerful and mighty and in every fire that comes my way. I know that God is still in control and I MUST trust HIM. One thing that helps me tremendously is that I have very few that I can talk to in seeking godly counsel. And, most of the time, I feel that my situation is too complicated to even explain, so I just take it to the Lord. Even though "being alone" is not always fun - there has been such opportunity for MORE of GOD. I don't understand this and I struggle with it all the time, but I know that in HIS time, He will give me the answers that I need. That is where I hear His voice say, "Even when you don't understand, you have to TRUST ME..." Keep it up! Your blog helped me to see that I am not as alone as I may think I am!
Amanda
Melissa,
This is very timely for me. I have been praying for God's will in the life of a loved one, and God did not answer in the way I hoped He would.
I am now seeing my loved one suffer and there is not a thing I can do about it but cry and admit to God that I cannot fix this. So that is what I have done today.
I have always been one to want to be in control and make everything okay for everyone. I hate dealing with anything painful, so I have a tendency to push many of my feelings into the back closets of my heart.
I had not thought of going to the Psalms to help me express the emotions I am dealing with right now. Thank you for the reminder.
I am so glad He loves me!
Another Melissa
Thank you Melissa for this profound entry today. And for me it is timely. You see for the past three weeks Ihave watched a very dear friend go down into a pit of mental anguish and despair. I can't go into too much detail but it involves her eternal security and she is convinced that she has none. Yes, she is seeing a Godly christian counselor who has taken authority over the enemy. My friend is suffering from some sort of mental depression and cannot get out from under it. She is in a pit. We have prayed scripture over her, around her and helped her pray it herself. She just looks at us with such anguish and says "WHY?"
It has torn me up and I hardly know what to pray anymore except "deliver her" Oh Lord Jesus. I know in my heart that he will. But watching her suffer has been so hard. So I thank you for your very thoughtful blog today. It has encouraged me to speak to the Lord more of my anguish and lament and also to keep in mind his very "Godness"
Heidi in Georgia
Thank you , Melissa for engaging my stalled brain...(it has been stuck in neutral all week-spring break with 3 kiddos home!!)
I think for me the pendulum needs to be in the middle. The times I have really poured out my "whys" to Him have turned into "face-down, can't utter a word" times filled with awe of who He is.
It is because of WHO HE is that we can even pour out our hearts to Him.
You are blessing to me!
Teresa
Wow! This was a meaty blog post!
Thank you , Melissa!
We do incorporate a good deal of lament in our worship in the Catholic church, especially now during Lent.
I have found as I age and experience more life and deepen my relationship with God I feel freer to lament. I know I am safe as long as I continue to carry my cares to Him - whatever form that takes. It is when I "give up" on God and despair that I sense His anger with me. Thankfully - He is quick to forgive!
Thanks for this thought provoking post! Blessings!
Sister Lynn
Melissa - I love questions like this and I love it when people are willing to actually dive into them. So many times we stop short of digging deep, probably out of fear (I speak from plenty of personal experience...). I think you have given us a lot to think about. You had me from the beginning of your post when you talk about the "crass and colloquial statements that we sometimes use to express our feelings of anger or confusion toward God." That is huge to me because it speaks to the power of our words and I speak often of the importance of the words we use. It's not just what we say it's how we say it. The martyred saints lament in Revelation - How long do we have to wait but they include in that lament the honoring "Sovereign God, holy and true." 'course, I think that makes me a bit like you - I don't truly lament because I don't want to appear disrespectful to Him. You've got me thinking...and I see a lot of time at His feet, asking Him for discernment. Thank you for such a thoughtful, insightful post.
I'm doing your mom's study on David and in today's homework I read David's lament over Saul & Jonathan's deaths. It seems to me that its okay to lament and even to tell God that we're mad, but ultimately we have to bend the knee to His Sovereign authority. I do think that we have to be sensitive about who we lament to and be careful not to lead a new believer astray or give him/her the wrong idea about God. Yes, God ordained that lamentations be included in His Word, but that's not all that's included in His Word. We can't focus on the lamentations and ignore the rest of the bible that speaks of God's love and mercy and grace and healing. So yes, there is a time to lament to God, but in context of everything else He is doing.
What a relief to read this post! I have been wondering for some time now why it was okay for David - a man after God's own heart - to lament if we are supposed to keep our suffering to ourselves. I am beginning to think it is a self-induced problem - because we think it is so important for others to think we have it all together.
I am in a season of grief in my life and I don't feel like pretending that everything is okay.
I am going to print your post and study it some more.
Thank you for your courage to share with us what you have been wrestling with. I'm with you!
Melissa,
I greatly appreciate this post, and all of your research. I have been struggling recently with some of these same concerns.
"I don’t say this to boast, for I am obviously numbered among those “pious merchants of emotional denial” who lay pressure on people to stifle their real feelings that Wright so eloquently rebukes."
I just had a conversation with a friend yesterday about this very thing. I don't want to cut people off in their expression of pain, as though those things nullified their faith. But I also think our level of faith has a great impact on our ability to weather the storms of life. Expressing our pain to God and others is different from blaming God or lacking trust in Him. I think that's where Jeremiah went too far....and we often do the same thing.
Bless you,
Susan
Melissa I love your posts they are certainly WAY over my head and make me think.
I have no theological input to add to this amazing post but just a personal experience.
Recently I have been just torn up inside over the passing of a precious little baby girl. I can tell you that for a whole week I kept the grief inside I guess out of fear of how to express that to God.
Finally after being tormented by the grief of it all I just had to cry out to Him, pound my feet as hard as could onto the ground and ask with a fearful heart to the giver of my every breath, "God why? It's just not right! I don’t understand! What good is there in this?" I can tell you I still don't have the answers but I felt His compassion and hope surround me. It's like when you put it all out there before Him He gives you clarity of mind. If I couldn't express to Him how I felt it would just eat me up inside.
Great article! Really makes me think.
I found that awhile ago I was very put off by this song which we sing in worship in which it asks God "how long" we would wait to sing a new song? I actually refused to sing it because it felt like it was giving the impression that we are not living in the promises of God right NOW. Saying those words made me feel like I was a whiny child. But I also asked quietly, "why does that song bother me so much?" and I quested in finding if I was right in my discernment or wrong and bothered because of my own personal perception of God and His Word.
God answered my heart's simple question and I've really gone through times of saying "God where are you? You're not here." Of course when we keep on leaning on Him during those times we end our prayer of lament much like Psalm 22, looking up and seeing He will never forsake us! Well, the song that bothered me so much before is on my blog now. Not because I fully understand what it is saying, but because I understand that God can handle our humanness and our questions and our misunderstandings and thank the Lord for that!
I also want to add that I am more bothered by the lack of reverance in living our every day lives and how we spend those "good" moments when rather than thinking God is far away, we don't acknowledge His existance at all.
Melissa:
Thank you for constantly making us think outside the box! I try to hard to be reverent for fear of overstepping my footing with our Lord, but sometimes it is very hard not to get mad when you feel like you are being hit in every possible direction and you just don't have enough left in you to keep going... That is when I think is He still here? But then I hit the floor and recite Hebrew 13:5 and thank him for never leaving this little girls heart.
Thank you for making me think today... the first thing I thought was ...like mother like daughter.. Oh how I love you all so.
Lichelle
Melissa, this was great.
I DO believe in corporate lament, but I have rarely participated in it. The closest I came was in gospel choir at Moody - the inner-city culture understands pain and suffering and knows how to express a lament while still holding to hope, and this is present in a variety of gospel music.
Growing up on the mission field I got to the see the funerals that the Papuans would hold. It was amazing to see the force of grief in the "weeping and wailing", and how the family would abandon themselves to the grief, and then afterwards pick themselves back up and walk one.
I too have been reading more about this topic recently. I think it comes down to a cultural tendency - we American avoid pain and discomfort at all costs. All pain is bad. Just a couple of days ago a friend was expressing his own lament in response to his job as a reporter about the persecuted church. In the face of great suffering he is compelled to act and to believe, but also to pour out lament against the great injustice and pain he sees before him. This month's Christianity Today article "Standing with the Desolate" by Ziya Meral touched on the same theme.
It's amazing how much God has used the birth of my daughter to work out some of the misconceptions I had of Him. In so many situations now, I look at the love and grace and mercy I give to my daughter, despite the fact she's done the same thing a HUNDRED times, and finally realize that being a comparatively evil parent, God really IS able to be all the more loving and gracious and merciful to me despite my doing the same thing a HUNDRED times.
Working off this same idea, I think about how much I'd want my daughter to come to me with a deep hurt, especially over taking it to someone else (not that there's anything wrong with godly counsel, but you know what I'm saying). I'd WANT to talk it through with her, let her cry, speak some truth and correct any misguidedness. All of which wouldn't be possible if she took that hurt to another person. At the same time, while she was hurt and crying, I'd completely understand all the irrational anger and painful words that might come out with those sobs of "why". I'd wipe those tears and cling extra close to her and tell her over and over again how loved she is. But just like every other parent, I'd know when she was pushing it and bordering on disrespect in the midst of her hurt. And the thing is, she'd know it too.
And so do we.
And God is so wise in those moments to lovingly let us know we've gone too far and offer us the opportunity for repentance.
Hope this makes sense.
Melissa in CA
Melissa,
I so appreciate the digging you have done. I wonder if the line is crossed when we turn lementing into venting and calling God by or associating mistruths with Him. Like "I feel so abandoned and alone" vs "You have left me alone" or "You don't care about me" vs "How long will I suffer, I can barely breathe" I need to KNOW who I am lamenting to. The Holy One, God Almighty,. . boy.. this is so thought provoking. I love this. Sometimes, I wouldn't dare say what I'm really feeling, but my actions scream my theology loud and clear. Forgive my manipulative ways, Lord. Teach us Lord.
Amanda, SC
My A.D.D. brain cannot handle all that at one time. I will have to go back again and again.
I have a request: I have searched and searched through the "book nerd" blog to see what books, you, Beth, and Amanda read. I could never find them. Could you 3 publish your lists again for us!
Thank you, Melissa. I needed badly to find someone else that wants to be challenged by GOD'S word and not wanting to proof text the passages that will make me "feel warm and fuzzy" about my own Biblical theology. GOD in a box, if you will.
Wright is excellent and I'm sure you know that he is considered to have written the best commentary on Deuteronomy as well as quite a bit of the Old Testament. He "grapples with the text" and makes you think...which is what a good theologian and scholar does.
You are one of those rarities, Ms. Fitzpatrick. I thank GOD for your insight.
"urged by pious merchants of emotional denial" - This partial quote by Wright was brilliant and right on for me as well. Through Western Christianity developing from the Puritans and back to the Reformers - even back through most of the Church History - "Christianity proper" has basically been a stiff upper lip approach to GOD.
Of course Judaism and early Christianity that was filled with Jewish believing Christians could not have been further from this ideal. Anyone needing proof should just watch the evening news to see how Middle Eastern women and men show their grief!
Please, please keep writing on your theological wrestling matches! I have been having one of my own between N.T. Wright and the new perspectives on Paul (His lecture at Regent was totally illuminating of texts in Romans I have never looked at in that way) and John Piper and D.A. Carson who I totally respect as well.
I'm sure you know all about the "meaning of justification" debate and Paul's eschatological meaning.
Wish you would share your views on that...perhaps soon??
In the meantime, you can never reverence HIM enough, but HE has allowed us even more freedom to lament with a High Priest that knows our sorrows. We grieve, but not as those who have no hope.
To deny it is not brave in my mind, but either cold or hypocritical.
Just like you, however, I am reminded that the line must not move too far, because GOD is sovereign and whatever HIS hand gives us to bear, we will do it with HIS grace and strength.
Love your heart and your mind for HIM and HIS glory!
Teri
Within the context of
our own, private prayers,
and within the context of an ultimate trust and reverence, how could we be anything but honest with God about the pain we're feeling, the raw emotions that we feel even in light of all the Truth we know and faith we have, and the big questions we are wrestling with?? Keeping it inside doesn't make it disappear nor does it keep it from God's knowledge.
This is what I'm coming to realize as I walk with a struggle so big, so multi-faceted, so overpowering, and so seemingly unanswered after 12 years of often intense struggle pain. He's not been fooled by me keeping the really raw stuff from Him in prayer.
His fame is definitely something to consider as you struggle with big things, making the public side of things a tricky line to walk. I guess I see true laments as something that should be rare and done privately in all of their raw, gut-wrenching reality. Reaching out for support and being real about the pain to bless others is good stuff in the right context. It's the complaining that gets me into trouble!
I do NOT mean to sound the slightest bit irreverent or condescending here. Please don't hear that at all. I do think that this is something that can only be discussed and learned to a certain point as a sterile point of theology. Looking at God's word for precedent, as you've done, is awesome and necessary (and thanks so much for sharing!). But there's just as much to be learned about what is right in this at the point of the deepest of struggles. There are raw points to which God may still bring you to teach you even more about how he wants you-- YOU uniquely, with all of your intimate pre-dispositions that only He knows fully-- to relate to Him.
Wow, great post, Melissa! I'm a huge advocate of being transparent with people, and especially God. Why try to hide something from our Creator? He already knew every single thought we'd think before we were born. I believe that to withhold our true feelings from God will stunt our Spritual growth and relationship with Him. There have been times where I've dropped to my knees and cried, "God, I'll be honest, I'm angry/hurt/confused/feel deserted, etc." However, with that said, I do believe there needs to be reverance and respect. After all, we are approaching the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End! In the past, I would sometimes go too far . . . to the point of complaining about God deserting me and/or accusing God of things. Obviously this is wrong. It all goes back to faith and believing God. Do we have faith in Him because of what we expect of Him, or do we trust Him simply because He is God, regardless of what may come? In the past few months, I have tried to forget my Charismatic upbringing of "name it and claim it" and other expectations of God. He is GOD, and who am I to have any expections whatsoever? Now when I go before God with my questions, hurts, concerns, etc., I try to word things more like, "I don't understand why . . . I'm confused about . . . etc." but quickly submit to the fact that He is God, and I will trust Him and have faith in Him no matter what.
Melissa,
Wow, I am thinking so many things I can't comment just yet. I need to chew on this a bit, and read it again and chew some more. THANK YOU for the detail and depth of this post. I luv when something really makes me dig deep!! You are loved dear sister!
Such deep thoughts, Melissa, and after following Christ for 27 years, I'm still trying to figure this out.
Some things I've learned along the way. In my 30s, I was in deep chronic depression, and remember voicing my anger at God in disrespectful manner. GASP! I also begged Him to take my life. But now on the other side .. after He delivered me from the pit and set my feet on a rock (Jesus Christ), I am thankful that He remembers we are made of dust and He didn't strike me down as I deserved. Because of His omniscience, He knew that I would grow in His grace and knowledge.
Now as the years have passed, even worse things have happened in my life, but I'm learning to trust Him and submit to His will for my life. I still cry and tell Him how I feel and ask Him to remove the pain, but if He doesn't, I am able to go on by His grace.
I think the church should talk about lamenting, because when I became a believer and trying to get some answers for the hard things of life, I asked another woman if she had ever been mad at God, and she said, OH NO! I would never do that, and I thought I was such an evil person because I was mad with Him. See, we can get mad with Him because we know He is in control of all things, and if He doesn't fix it, then we feel He has let us down. That's where spiritual growth helps. But I think people need to know there is a biblical way to lament to the Lord, a very healthy outlet for our emotions indeed. I also believe that people all over the world need to understand that the Almighty God should be reverenced and feared. We should tremble at His Word. And we don't seem to have that awe of Him like we should. Lord, forgive us and help us.
About three years ago, I asked the Lord to help me learn to TRUST Him with everything and I've been focused on that. It has helped me to cut out a lot of complaining to Him, to know that He loves me, and wants the best for me, and I can rest in that. In everything, give thanks, for this is God's will for you, in Christ Jesus!
Denise/GA
Profound lessons of obedience, complaining, whining, and lamenting have come to me from Martha and Mary. Martha and Mary both cried out to Jesus in private and in public. They were not rebuked. Jesus gave them answers.
Thank you for the discussion. It is a much needed reminder that He is the only one that should hear my complaints.
Melissa,
I've read through you post once, but I'll read through again. I'm honored that you trust me (and all of us) enough to be so transparent. I appreciate your obedience to the call on your life that allows you to open your life up.
You give me so much to consider. I live in a place of joy -- I'm just a joy kinda girl, but I work within some of the most horrific sadness the world has to offer. I work with abused & neglected children. I've worked with children who has suffered horrors at the hands of those who are supposed to love and protect them. I've cried out to God and ask why. But lament? No, I haven't. Complain, get angry, be confused -- I done these and more.
I, like you, tend to walk in reverence. You are God. You are Holy and Awesome God and I just fall down before you.
Thank you for giving me more to consider in this adventure of faith.
Mary
Wow, Melissa. Great message! I recently went through my own experience with what you call Lament--Deliver me, Lord. Why? I cannot discern your hand in this situation. What in the world is this all about? I know there is supposed to be victory here, but What? How? Why? (Of course, I had no idea I was doing anything as profound as you have written about). But in His graciousness to me He revealed the "Why". He revealed that: this [the great pressure that I was was enduring and continue to still endure] has happened so that you might not rely on yourself, but on God. 2 Corinthians 1:9(b).
I am slowly but surely learning that relying on myself is pretty pitiful anyway, but trusting God to work it out in His discretion and in His freeing, liberating. (As I learned in Esther--I don't always have to worry about the "how" to which I can only say "Praise God")
My prayer life has changed dramatically because I AM trying to cooperate now that I "understand" what He's trying to accomplish. It makes the difficulty "easier" to endure this season because I can look with joy toward the woman I'll be when the victory/deliverance finally occurs. At the moment, I stil don't see the light at the end of this particular tunnel, but somehow that's okay.
Thanks for the post. I like digging deep!
Thank you!! I have come such a long way in learning what it means to have relationship. . . and yet so far to go!! I could always tell, when my children struggled with me or what I did, whether their response was respectful or accusing/attacking. I wonder if God isn't even more so, knowing what is in our heart and whether we feel we could do a better job at being God. Loved your dialogue. Helen
Are you familiar with a new book by Susan E. Isaacs called Angry Conversations with God? It might be more about complaining than lamenting, but I wondered if it addresses the issues that you posted about in a lighter way.
K. in Southern California : )
I am wondering if the reason you have not lamented is the fact you haven't experienced enough pain and/or suffering. If God really wants to teach you on the subject, well get ready. It seems nothing makes me lament more than excruciating physical pain of one form or another. One of the reasons I lament to God, however, is I know what a powerful God He is and can change any situation at any time. I do not lament from unbelief but belief in the knowledge that He can help me in my distress. Often I think the "why" question we ask of God is really us asking God what He wants to teach us in our suffering. There is always something to learn or some sort of character builder God is after. I for one must be able to go before the throne of grace (in my imagination) not only to lament before Him (on my face if necessary) but also to crawl up in His lap when I am done and lay my head on His chest so He can comfort me.
Melissa-
It is so awesome to see your thoughts and honest holy wrestling matches in print. I love reading Philip Yancy. The minute I started reading yours, his name popped in my mind. You have a dynamite gift of writing that causes readers to dig deeper, ask more questions, and think. I believe that is what this "faith thang" is all about. I look forward to more posts and one day seeing your name on a book! Thanks for sharing with us!
I had the chance to actually witness a lament as part of the Formational Prayer Seminar at Ashland Theological Seminary. Powerful. Caregivers were there for follow-up with the person who had offered to write and do their lament in front of the group. It was beautiful and healing in its own way as the person communicated their heart to God.
www.ashland.edu/seminary/ifc
Thanks for making us think beyond ourselves.
Kim
Melissa, I just love your mind! I'm at work right now and read through about 1/2 of your blog. Want to soak it in later. I wanted to make a request. You guys asked us what books we have read, but I would love for you especially to list your favorites. I've been into alot of topical/reference bible studies and have stayed away from authors for a while. I Love to think deep, what would you recommend?
This is not addressing your questions directly, but it was on my heart as I was reading your post.
My mentor and I were having lunch the other day. I was going on and on about how I didn't want to make a mistake and get something wrong. Mostly with the raising of our kids, but also in relationship with my husband and my Lord. I am growing in intimacy and he is stretching my paradigm in regards to understanding His divine love and longing for His bride.
My mentor related to me that because she didn't have the upbringing I have had, she has had to rely on the conviction of the Holy Spirit and God's grace a lot more.
I have had the privilege of having seeds sown from a child, but where I go wrong is needing to get and understanding without listening to the Spirit for a conviction. Understanding is my comfort zone. Your mom's studies have helped me incredibly in discerning conviction vs condemnation.
I would encourage you to search for answers and give the Spirit lots of opportunities to have things jump off the page. I would also encourage you to continue to press in to the LORD who will reveal His secrets to those who fear Him. Then you have done all the work, but He gets the signature. He loves that mark of grace because it takes the control out of our hands and puts His blessing in its place.
I hope this made sense, Melissa. I respect your passion for the Truth, and I relate to the sense I have of your jaw set as flint. I do believe that when God helps you find that sweet spot of His divine revelation and your intellect and discernment, He in you will be a force to be reckoned with! You are already a force to be reckoned with, but I think it will increase exponentially
Blessings,
Jina
Dear Melissa,
I thank God and thank you for your honesty and integrity in approaching His Word...all of it, both the easily grasped as well as the portions over which must needs be wrested to seek a right understanding.
I think you are correct--I think our generation forgets God as God far too frequently and carelessly. I also think that those who fear for those who forget God as God sometimes ignore very real and vital and necessary portions of His Word.
Actually, I liked your summation, perhaps, best. "Praise the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph; the God of David, Solomon, the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, Peter, and Paul. Praise the God who carries His people through a dark and broken world and grants us bright hope for an everlasting tomorrow. The God who will one day light the beacons of heaven, sound the trumpets, and until that great day scatters glimpses of triumph for us through all the tragedy."
This is our God--the God of the people of the past and the God of today. The God of every future moment and as such, the God Who gives hope in the ugly and beautiful reality of the now.
The ugly is no less real for the future, but our God Who can take the worst event in the history of the world, the sin-infused death of His holy, perfect and righteous Son and turn it into the best event in the history of the world is the God Who gave me the examples of those who approached Him in Truth and in Hope...the same way I am to approach Him today.
Thank you, Friend, for being a woman of Truth.
~Deborah <3
Dear Melissa, Thank you so much for sharing this with us. There is so much to comment on and so many sisters have already done so admirably!
I feel almost too overwhelmed to be able to put into words what is going on inside. But suffice it to say that I am going through the book "Wounded Heart" which is for sexual abuse survivors; and I am realizing so much denial inside of me and so much emotion that is coming to the surface - well, I have been struggling what to even do with them.
What an encouraging post and comments for me today. Beth, thank you for reminding me that it IS healthy to come to the Lord to allow Him to turn my mourning into dancing!
Sorry this doesn't address all the theology issues but it sure was what I needed today.
love
mk
Melissa,
I am a wrestler also-and a lamenter. I appreciate your exposition, and agree with you on all conflicting points. That's the wonder, tension and beauty of a God who is beyond our understanding. If we are in the business of searching for understanding and wisdom-we will never be out of work.
Sincerely, Angela
Melissa,
Thank you for being willing to revisit this. It takes a humble and faithful heart - and a true love of Scripture over self.
As someone who has been told point-blank "you're sinning if you're suffering," I have to admit I took parts of your first post hard. All of my life I've been taught or told to hide the hurt and anger because it isn't appropriate or acceptable to express it - that I would dishonor God if I ever showed anything but unwavering joy and faith. So rather than turn *to* God in my hurt and anger, I turned from Him.
I'm learning though... that being joyful does not mean I have to be happy, and being faithful does not mean my soul never cries out in confusion over God's plan. I can love and revere God with all that I am and still bang my fists against the wall as I ask Him when the suffering is going to end. I can say, and mean "I know that You love me and have Your best in mind for me" while at the same time saying, "but God, why, WHY can't I feel it?"
I have also learned that people can't see how God has lifted me up if I am not honest about how low I have been. Yes, there's a line (shown very clearly, I think, in Job) but no one is better equipped to handle my hurts than my God.
:::plink, plink::: my 2 cents.
Blessings,
Bethany
Refreshing words for this deep thinker. My heart and mind would like to 'thank you.' :)
Totally awesome.
As a young woman who deals with a lot of doubt - I can tell you that I felt such freedom in finally opening up about my unbelief. For years I disguised it - allowing people to think that I was stronger in my faith than I actually was. Having people know about my struggles with faith has been so freeing. I feel more raw - a bit more vulnerable - but real. I feel so much more authentic and honest when I appropriately share where my heart is.
Thanks so much.
Blessings to you,
Kate :)
GIRL! I feel you on this one! I'm such a speak-before-I-think kind of girl and such a feeler that I spend much of my time repenting for rash words...Scripture about being held accountable for every word uttered can send a wave of cold fear through me.
So often I find myself thinking-I know God will work this for good and I really DO trust Him to do right by me, but this really hurts my feelings. And I want Him to know about it.
I can make myself sick worrying about the unholy heart inside me--which is when I HAVE to believe love covers over a multitude of sins. As a counselor once told me-God expects us to sin, He is concerned with our relationship. I just have to do what's in front of me and trust the Holy Spirit to lead me to repentance when I need to.
I think communal lament should be much more a part of our worship as a way of acknowledging the brokenness of our world and crying out for redress. I've read some great writers on lament--Brueggemann, who I know you've probably read; but also Emilie Townes, who is an African-American womanist theologian, and Denise Ackermann, who is a white South African theologian. And no one has had more cause for lament in the last 100 years or so than African-Americans and South Africans, so they're very worth reading.
Townes argues that lament is meant to be done in community. Lament forces the people to acknowledge the crisis in their midst and to face head-on that “something is fractured, if not broken…we are living in structures of evil and wickedness that make us ill." The naming of those ills becomes extremely specific, giving rise to some of the most wrenching poetry in Scriptures, as in Psalm 22, in which the author writes that “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me.” There is no idealization or stoic heartiness in these texts; rather there is a recognition of the brokenness of things as they are. This state requires the participation of every member of the community and therefore requires making every member aware of the injustices at hand; it is, therefore, the beginning of advocacy.
Naming the crisis then allows us to move to the next step: a demand for redress. In the psalms of lament, God is cast as the ultimate arbiter and enforcer of justice, and after excruciatingly detailing their suffering, the psalmists turn to God, demanding that He put things to right. This approach suggests a belief in God’s commitment to justice and to the plight of the vulnerable, and that He hears when we cry out to Him, and we have stories in Scripture that bear that out, most notably God’s statement to Moses that “I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; and I am come down to deliver them” (Exodus 3:7-8). Brueggemann suggests that one of the purposes of lament is that it introduces an element other than mindless praise and doxology into the relationship between humans and God, and that God in fact desires this, as it helps people develop into mature covenant partners who can enter into serious communion and conversation. I think of Abraham bargaining with God for the city of Sodom (could he have kept going? Would God have spared the city for 5 righteous men? For one?); Jacob wrestling with God and demanding a blessing; Moses cajoling God out of destroying the unfaithful Israelites; and the Syro-Phoenician woman who argues with Jesus. God gives all these advocates an audience, suggesting that He does indeed take people seriously. In turn, we must reckon with the idea of a God who is, in Brueggemann’s words, a “dangerous, available God."
The litany of remembrance is another element of lament. The prophet Joel reminds his audience to tell these things to their children and grandchildren, so we can retell the stories in which God has been faithful to us, both individually and corporately, and draw hope and sustenance and a renewed sense of calling and possibility from the old stories in which, through God’s agency, Christians acted in transformative ways.
I think it's key to remember that when you read the psalms of lament, they usually end with an affirmation of God's power; they come back around to praise.
So many thoughts are going through my mind as I ponder this post, Melissa. Hannah and her personal and public cries at the temple...the weeping prophet, Jeremiah...even Paul and his call for believers to be content no matter what state they are in. We do see through a glass darkly, but one day face-to-face...I love that verse (1 Cor. 13:12). Our faith allows us the luxury of waiting for our clarity.
But public lamentations? In worship services? Can the church allow this and maintain flesh-and-blood, face-saving empathy through personal valleys? I say yes. Plain and simple, when Lazarus was dead and Christ witnessed the tears and sorrow of Mary (John 11) he wept. Proof solid that He weeps over our sorrow even in His total sovereignty and all-knowing. Isn't that love? To me, compassion is what sets believers apart from nonbelievers. We should be full of compassion as Christ is full of compassion. That tug on our heart to love the unlovely...it is Christ's Spirit in us. He loves us through our lamentations and weeps right along with us, even knowing the outcome is God's promise. John 11 is so rich in this.
But to shake our fist at God and lose our faith? To publicly cry that God is NOT Good? That is not what Christ did, nor SHOULD we. But God will allow us that freedom and woo us back into His Wings of Shelter.
My quick thoughts are just that, nothing more. May we all be willing to learn more on this subject as the Spirit of God reveals.
I was raised that it was a horrible sin to ever ask God "WHY???" It was your precious mom who taught me that God can take our honesty, questions, and pain.
I totally agree with you on expressing ourselves in a respectful manner. I believe we need to take our complaints straight to God and not talk bad about Him "behind His back" so to speak.
But this is the thing that really gets me - God wants us to be REAL with Him. I think that's astounding. I was brought up to be a good little Christian girl and discovered many years later that God doesn't demand my best behavior, He desires my heart, no matter its state. That just makes me love Him even more.
Thank you for sharing - I love hearing from you!
I appreciate this follow up post. Your original post caused me to deeply question my approach to God during a time of deep suffering.
We are called "children of God" and so we are to approach him as a child would approach a parent. I would never rebuke my child for sharing her sorrow or pain with me. I welcome it because of my deep love for her. And God responds to our pain because of his love for us!
To suggest we can "cross the line" with God suggests we can exceed His grace, which is not true (Romans 5:20). We must interpret Scripture in light of other Scripture.
Thanks for sharing these two books. Very good thoughts.
Cristina, thank you for your comment. While I do think it is possible to cross a line with God, and by that I mean that I think we can disrespect God to a point that we would need to repent, I would never have said this in a context of going so far as to never be able to obtain grace. Jeremiah is a great example of that because while his words were interpreted by God as worthless and in need of change, he was of course given opportunity to repent.
Shannon, I tried to make clear that lament must be done in the context of the "yet" of enduring faith and ongoing praise. I doubt that I was very clear about that, so I apologize to everyone if that is the case. By the way, is there a particular book of Brueggemann's that you are referencing? I would love to get my hands on that. And I have never read Townes so I will have to look there as well.
The righteous live by faith. Even when we lament, there is to be a certain measure of faith we stand in. The faith that He hears us, or the faith that He cares, or the faith that He will move..the lament needs to involve faith to have balance.
And girl you are deep. That can be good and that can be bad. Knowledge puffs up, but I trust that the Lord who teaches you is able to make you stand. You will do it.
"I feel that the language of lament is seriously neglected in the church."
So totally agree with this line. I believe the point of lamenting is very much missing in my life and churches. Shielded from being real. Yes, in my own personal life He has pointed his finger on my life. The light coming to the darkness in me. "Me!" I'm that bad!". "How dare you!" (that is the truth) I should be saying, "How dare me!" I was talking to a friend in an event one night and she commented on my lack of the commitment I was committed to. I could relate that to God and my lack there. I could feel the anger of my lack of commitment to Him and the issues I have not settled. Comfort zone. One morning I cried to God about things in my life out of the hurt and anger and during this crying out there was music from the radio from KHCB and there was a sense from the music I was hearing on the radio a tenderness and understanding that I believe was from Him. Maybe it's just being very real because He is God and we are not.
Personally, because of the economy we are in I think every church, every church, synagogue before starting anything, anything have the Pastor ask that we all as a congregation bow to our knees if we can, come to the front if you want or sit where you are and spend 5-10 min in crying out to God for His mercy and help in this time. At first it would be uncomfortable I am sure but if it was done each Sunday in seeking His face with the congregation involved, I think it might break up things hardened in many and bring brokenness and healing. I say this because I don't have a full-time job and then I realize everything I have, the car, shoes, clothes, a place to stay, a little money, the internet to explore for work, to blog, to drive, the roads we drive on, the signs on the sides of the road, the bed I sleep in, the water that comes from the shower, the hair on my head, the eye that lets me see, the hands that let me type this post, the ability to blink, the ability to breath, to imagine, to think, to sing, to pray, to appreciate, to paint, to eat the food I eat. And.....the list is endless....all belongs to Him, we are just borrowing it.
Allison
Thank God for souls that face the tough questions. I have a one-year-old son who had open heart surgery a few months ago. He's had many hospital stays in his little life, the most recent ending yesterday. He spent the weekend in miserable pain, sleeping only 6 hours in three days. I rocked him and held him while he had needles, IV's, tests, catheters etc. There are limits to morphine. The screaming was endless. I cried out loud to God for deliverance from the pain for my son,I prayed, rebuked, fasted, paced and finally screamed at God for not helping. I repented quickly but only because I thought it might get HIM to move quicker on our behalf. By my third night of no sleep, I told my husband I had to leave and as I rode in the car for an hour screaming and crying, I felt the presence of God. It was enough. No "chin up" speech, no "three steps to joy" sermonette...just the presence of the Lord and an image of Michaelangelo's Pieta...depicting Mary with Jesus laying across her lap. It was enough. My only insight...cry out to Jesus...cry out to Jesus....do not withold intimacy from the one who sees, hears and bears all. His presence was and is enough.
Melissa- thank you for your great post. It is truly a question to be pondered. I can only speak from my experience- I call it the "Heat of the Moment" syndrome. What if despite all your good intentions to remain outwardly reverent to God that a situation arises where you lash out at God in your anger and pain because deep down you know He could have prevented it? I know this has happened to me- and then I was filled with such guilt and sorrow about my anger toward God. But, in His great mercy, He miraculously directed me to Psalm 103- and never have I felt so loved by God- especially verses 9-14- where He "does not treat us as our sins deserve." And "He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." In fact, these are some of my memory verses for March with the Siesta memory group. So- in all of our ponderings and preparations, sometimes our flesh screams our pain, and then, our God proves Himself merciful.
Becky
Charlotte NC
Melissa,
This is SO deep! Thank you for making me think deep!
What a blessing.
Marilyn
Melissa, I had several friends e-mail and leave comments on my blog today, telling me to come visit here. Oh my friend, how I needed this post today.
I am currently in the middle of such devestation, and I'm not seeing God's hand. Early this morning I wrote a post entitled, "Forsaken".
This morning I lay in bed before turning on my light to have my quiet time, begging the Lord to give me something to hold on to today. Please Lord...please...remind me of Your presence. I don't see You...I don't feel You...I don't understand You and my faith is taking hit after hit. It's easier to not believe, than believe in a God who appears to be withholding His love and care.
I was reading through in Deut.1. I identified so much with the Israelites as they said, "The LORD must hate us. That's why he has brought us here..." (vs.27).
This journey hurts. I don't understand. My heart is broken beyond belief...I'm so frightened that doubt and anger will plant seeds so deep and take root that my faith will fail. I want my life to be giving testimony to my God who provides.
I'm asking,"Where are you, Lord? You have promised never to leave us. Do not forsake me. If I can't hold on to You and know You are there, I have nothing".
I don't understand. I'm so frightened I'm disappointing the Lord in my reaction.
Do years of following Him mean nothing now? My questions scare me...I don't want the evil one to take hold...Lord, I so desperately need you. I want to be "good soil".
Again...His words to me this morning come..."Joy...you are lacking nothing". Is it there and I'm just not receiving it?
I have felt awful all day, for not holding fast to the "all things work together for good" and simply trusting in this family crisis I am enduring. I have felt horrid for questioning God and being 'real' with my thoughts and feelings. Thank you for helping my heart rest tonight.
Searching and seeking,
Joy
Melissa,
I think you made it plenty clear, I just got carried away in my answer--reading a lot about lament lately too!
Read Denise Ackermann too, she approaches lament from the perspective of the sinner (white South African) whereas Townes is writing from the perspective of the oppressed. It's good to read them in conjunction.
Brueggemann's article was in Journal of Old Testament Studies, Vol. 11 Num. 36, 1986. "The Costly Loss of Lament."
Joy, I went and read your blog "Forsaken" and your words there as well as your comments here really touched my heart.
Kelly R, I can't imagine having a one year old who has gone through open heart surgery, etc. Oh my heart. Thank you for your comment.
I could not help but think of J. Vernon McGee's commentary the whole time I read your entry. I have all 5+ volumes...unbelievable stuff. So raw, so inspiring, so authentic....
Thanks for your words in a lesson today!
I knew that I needed to print this out when I skimmed it so that I could take time to discover the 'meat' of your words.
A few years ago when it seemed as if everything in my life as conspiring against me, I spent a lot of time in varying types of conversations with God. Some of my friends were shocked when I told them I sometimes just screamed at Him.
There more than a few times that I had to apologize for my fits of fury, but more than anything I had the sensation that He much preferred my honest fury and questioning than a 'publican's prattle' that was fake. This was part of a long relationship that we had and was one where I was confident enough of His caring for me that I could even take my non-trusting self before Him. That was the point that He was able to teach me and lead me through the mess.
Those dark days of pain and lament are behind me now, but just as going through a crisis with a friend or loved one can bring a new richness to the relationship, so did those days bring a new depth to the relationship I have with God. I trust Him in new ways because He allowed me to be honest in my feelings before Him and never, ever stopped caring for me.
Shannon,
I am going to have to go and pick that article up at the Library tomorrow. I've never even heard of it. I thought maybe you were referencing the Prophetic Imagination but I still couldn't really place it. Okay, so one more thing. I just had to tell you that I read your entire blog log the other day and I seriously laughed so hard I cried. Colin can attest to it. I was actually reading it out loud to him. Anyway, take care girl. Good luck with that giving up TV stuff. Now I know what you're really lamenting about. LOL.
I started a business 3 years ago and I know that God led me to do it.
I got my husband involved it was a Coffeeshop and Bookstore and the Lord gave me Jer.29:11 . We set that shop up I wrote this Bible verse on the wall and several more and we had a small Christian section of books and we gave away Bibles. The first day open, the first hour open a lady came in asking for prayer and I stopped and prayed with her.
Of course we had very little money to start this venture but we did it and I just knew that we were going to prosper. The christian section of the store grew and we kept giving away the Bibles, except last summer we realized it wasn't going to be enough money and more was going out than coming in and illness had struck both myself and my husband,
I was standing on the beach lamenting, God why did You give me this dream then not prosper us ? why did you let us loose all this money ? You promised me that You would prosper me. He answered," but I did go study the verse better."
I did and found out how wrong I was. We did prosper we gave away almost 3,000 Bibles in the 3 years we were open and we paid for almost 90% of them with our money from the store.
I did lament and I still do when I find myself now in very difficult money problems and I cry out and say enough and then He says maybe a little longer ,so I am hanging in and really trying not to lament so much but when it gets to the end of the money I say Why?
I don't regret the 3 years we met some of the most wonderful Christians that I have ever known ,and for that God prospered us and I hope that we were able to spread His Word to souls who might never set foot in a church but has one of our Bibles .
Love in Christ,
Glenda
Melissa,
Thank you once again for challenging us!! What a perfect time to think about such a subject! Father, YOU are AMAZING and your timing is PERFECT!!!
One of the BIGGEST things I have learned over these past few years gleaning from your Mama is how to pray. I have for years read about how we need to be praying, etc. but never was given the tools to put it to good practice. When I did Living Beyond Yourself- it was revolutionary for me because I FINALLY understood how to pray. I think if we apply the thought process of pouring out; 1.) Establishing who God is, His authority, etc. 2.) Confess our wicked ways- then we can ask to have Him pour into us His fruit of the Spirit and then I think we are in a better posture to lament. You know what I mean? If we haven't done the "ground work" so to speak of confession then it seems to me we aren't in a place to even go before the throne and lament. It is a heart issue and if we're confessed up then I think we would be able to lament with a clear and "fair" conscience before the Lord of Heaven and Earth.
I've had to do this (lament) a time or two and I have applied those very principles and have felt complete ease about going before the throne (yet it was ever before my mind WHO God was and that I needed to have complete reverance for Him). I am certainly not perfect at it and I probably missed some things but like I said, coupling that way of praying with the other stick of dynamite (scripture) it was wonderful!!! It was a very healing process of communing with my Savior and at the same time "sitting with my feelings".
Thanks again for the encouragement to dig deeper and for the "jump start" into new things to discuss and discover with our Father.
Keep on keepin' on!!
Love you ladies!!! :0)
Deb Wordhouse- Grand Rapids, MI
Melissa, can we have coffee? This is so deep for blog posts. Since we can't have coffee, I will try to make my words few.
For years I struggled with being transparent, even with God. Needless to say I was bound by fear and self-condemnation.
It has been a long journey to freedom and transparency with God and others. Perhaps the story that follows is the beginning place on my journey to freedom. It began with a Lament.
I was 20 weeks pregnant and learned that my baby had died. Since that was one of my worst fears, I didn't think I would be able to survive it sanely. About a week after I had delivered her, I stood outside on my back porch early in the morning. I had numbly survived a whole week! But this particular morning the pain and suffering found its voice. Did I dare question God? I did. I looked at the blue sky, and breathed in the sweet smell of spring flowers in bloom. I saw the fresh green leaves on the trees, and I said, "God, Your word says that You are real and that no man is without excuse because of the evidence found in creation. I see the trees, I smell the flowers. Your word also says that You will cause all things to work for my good and that You are a Good Shepherd. But I don't believe that because my Good Shepherd would not have led me here, to this place! If You are my Good Shepherd, I need You to show me."
Tearfully, I turned around and went inside. I hadn't walked 15 feet when there was a knock on my door... and I was on the edge of a miracle. Standing at my door, at 7 in the morning, was an older lady I hardly knew. She said, " I was driving down the road when the Holy Spirit told me to come to you. Did I hear Him right?"
Of course she did! We sat on the same porch where only seconds ago I had lamented for the first time.
The miracle? She had been up since 4:30am praying for me....she had been praying Psalm 23! And she then proceeded to tell me what a Good Shepherd my Lord is, verse by verse. She had NO idea what I had just cried out to the Lord.
The most precious thing to me is that He let me Lament, and He heard my heart's cry, and He answered even before I dared utter the words. She must have been in my driveway before I even got the words out of my mouth!
Words cannot express what that did to my faith. No matter what I have been through since, I always KNOW that He is my Shepherd. My Sweet, Sweet Shepherd, who can be trusted!
"Lament is a cry to God".
I read your entire blog...every word. And I am thinking that worship is sometimes about praising our God that He hears my cry.
Thank-you for sharing your study and insight on this.
Melana in Wyoming
What insight you shed on lamenting before God, I have certainly done more than my fair share of crossing the line with God, the second I do it, He convicts me, and I sorrowfully repent willingly. I know it is because I know without a shadow of a doubt the grace He will bestow upon me even in the midst of uttering words of no worth to Him. I don't have that assurance from anyone but my Savior when I step over that boundary. Perhaps the stronger our walk with Him, the easier it is to completely disrobe our emotions in His presence even when they are agony and despair(ie: hell.) I do think our laments pale in comparison with His, and when we recognize this, our lamenting(especially when we have crossed the line) and repenting often turns to rejoicing in our sufferings because that is what Romans tells us will ultimately restore our hope.
Knoxville, TN
You know I often have "moments" with God about life, about my husband, about coworkers, about family. I guess I had rather get my frustrations out with God, who can actually do something about the situation than others who can't. Many times He asks me to change, but other times I sense He changes others. No, not because I "lift" them up, but because I am sensitive to the situations.
All through scripture He highlights His different roles in our lives. He is holy, He is God, He is omniscient, but He is also Father. I think/feel we get caught up in one role and forget the other roles God has. We are to respect Him by being holy, but ask questions as we would our earthly father. I also have to believe that God desires us to "lament", but productively, if that is possible. Tell him what's on your mind and heart, BUT also thank him for allowing you to do so. We are supposed to thank him in the bad times as well as the good times. Why is it we feel so guilty for the bad times when we are promised we will have these bad times. We are promised we will grow in these bad times....who hasn't grown as a result of a "good lament"?
Melissa, I sense that you are not the "touchy-feely" type. Well, I am not either....very far from it! I can so identify with this lesson. Scripture is hard to understand....one place says one thing and another place says something else. It is not until you truly dig in that you discover the true gift we have in scripture....everything fits together perfectly. This is one of the true gifts LPM offers as a ministry...biblical literacy based on the Bible, not doctrine or denomination theology.
Well done, thank you
Tami in LA, I wish we could have coffee as well. Thanks for sharing some of your story. I love to hear people recount instances when they know that they know that they know God has ordained them. And it sounds like that was one of those in your life. Blessings to you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thank you for your kind words, Melissa.
I cannot begin to keep up with you or Ms. Shannon :-)...but it is nothing but an act of grace and more than just that..a miracle that GOD birthed in me a passion to love HIS word...but to dig deeper and to understand how perfectly awesome HE is from beginning to end.
I don't have the NT counterpart by Frank Thielman. Right now I'm reading Craig Keener and Gordon Fee. Keener is amazing with all of his documentations!
I'm one of those weird theological eggs....a reformed/charismatic along the lines of Matt Chandler, with just wanting to love GOD and to share HIS truth. Too many like myself got started in some pretty bad doctrines.
Women need your Mom and you...love, spirit and truth....all beckoning us to come to the table and sit with our King...
Thank you so much for what you bring to the ministry.
Love and blessings to you,
Teri
This comment will be anonymous. I would like to share about a hard time in my life.
Three years ago my husband went hunting for a week in a very remote part of Alaska which meant very little communication between us. Satellite phones don't work well. The 2nd day he was gone I found many porn sites on our computer. I was absolutely devastated. The pain was very intense. And I had a week to feel it alone. It was a Sunday afternoon and I cried and prayed for hours. Then I put on sunglasses and went to Sunday evening service. I couldn't even listen to the sermon but I was so glad I was there. To be in God's house with God's people and hearing God's Word. The perfect place to lament. (My whole existence was a lament).
Well, God did some amazing things in me over that week. It is actually now one of my favorite weeks of my life. Isn't that strange? Maybe because He was so there for me.
And we are still married. We had to get a new computer because I trashed that one. And my husband probably hasn't looked at porn since.
So I'm not sure if this is lament but your post made me think of it. And I wanted to tell you about God's greatness when we go to Him in our deepest pain.
Thanks Melissa.
A wonderful, thought-provoking post. Thank you!
Lament is the precursor to confession, I think. Lament begins with the truth as I see it...my view of the world and its injustices. It presents my view to God, literally and symbolically inviting his response. Lament that simply vents and then slams the door shut before the Lord can speak back is not helpful, but lament that cries out to God and waits can lead to confession, which is agreement with God. And agreement with God is a very good thing!
Confession without lamentation allows God's touch only on the surface. Lamentation without confession opens up the deep places but refuses God access. But lamentation, followed by listening, followed by confession (agreeing with what God said) leads to attachment and love and praise and redemption.
Another thought: I'm convinced that we interact with God the way we interact with people. If we stuff our emotions and present a stoic face to people, we might also easily do the same to God and call it reverence. If we emote freely all over everyone, we might also use God as an emotional barf bag and call it lamentation. In reality, though, either of those might merely be self-indulgence to which we have attached the Biblical concepts of reverence or lament as a way to justify doing what we want to do and what comes naturally. Not a pretty picture, but one I find in myself all too often!
I'm glad you posted this. It is VERY relevant to me right now in my relationship with God. I have been struggling with the opposite extreme from you. I'm new at 'walking with God' on a daily basis, and the enemy really throws me for a loop with "feelings". Boy, I can really 'pour it out' to God, because He's taught me to do that, but I get in trouble with 'remembering' who He is and trusting Him to deal with what I poured out. I know that He is reading my heart, not my lips, so if my heart is saying it, I'd better confess that to Him and quickly treat that 'feeling' with Truth or else I could act on that...Ugh! Anyway, I ask God to help me move closer to your extreme, trusting He will be enough no matter how I feel. Love you!
Dear Melissa:
I raised two sons, now ages 28 and 23. When my oldest was at the age where he started spending the night with friends, I remember getting a phone call from another mom telling me how well behaved he was at their house. I remember being surprised and relieved at the same time, because this son was the one that gave me so many challenges.
Around this same period of time, I read an article that made a profound impression on me, and this article came to my mind when I read your post tonight. It said that children do the worst of their "acting out" at home. That's because they feel safe at home - unconditionally loved. Even though they are kids, they carry tremendous pressures outside of the home - having to behave, etc. They can act out and say some atrocious things at home because they know that tomorrow, as parents we are still going to love them.
My best friend growing up was never allowed to speak freely with her parents. At the age of 17, she married a boy just to get out of the house. Within a year, she was divorced. Even as a young adult, I appreciated how my mother would let me "vent" - how I could talk to her about things. I had this open relationship with her until the day she died!
These were the things I thought about when reading your post. How we can come to God with anything. Even if we have to "act out" at times, He will still love us come tomorrow.
A good word - thank you Melissa!
Janan
Houston, TX
This was really powerful. Thank you. I've had a lot to 'lament' in the past several years and the Psalms have really helped me to see that it was OK to do so. Blessings to you.
Wow! I had to read this one about three times to actually get the whole thing. Because there was so much and because I was seeing how I had to practically work out what this looks like in my life this past fall. I have tended to be someone who doesn't really express that kind of emotion to God, but my life got to the point where I could not do that anymore. The events boiled over into a form of lament, that I didn't really know what it was at the time.
But, having gone through all of that recently, I must say that lament is soemthign we're sorely missing in Christianity today. I honestly (now) believe that it is a vital part of being honest in our relationship with God.
Wow, this is really where the "rubber meets the road" as they say. I love that you bring up the questions and then invite us to wrestle them out with you, as we ask our Savior and our God to show us Himself as the Answer in each of our lives/hearts. And to hear the answers and experiences of other sisters.
For me, I think I have longed for a lament, but was not quite sure what that was, to be able to be TOTALLY honest and truthful without the fear of rejection or ridicule in the deepest places in my heart, even though knowing God loves me like no other. I will surely investigate and ponder this for a while......
Thanks Melissa.
karen :):)
Your discourse on "lament" surely fys in the face of the modern churches "Jesus keeps you happy and wealthy" self-serving Gospel. We suffer, we bleed, we groan in the Spirit and feel free to do it before a Holy, loving Father because we are bound in this robe of flesh. That's our intimacy with Him. He is Holy and we are not that's part of our revelation of reverence. Oh but the Savior gives us the power to rise again both now and then!
The Journey Continues ~
Melissa,
After dealing with a very difficult day, Your blessed & studious insight was a much needed read for me!!!
I actually dealt with the "tension of fearing and showing reverence to God while at the same time maintaining confidence to approach Him and voice our despair and unbelief to Him."
A darling 17 year old young woman was killed in an automobile accident this week. Her mother who is a dear friend attended my weekly bible study until she and her husband felt a calling to become missionaries. They lost a precious daughter and have so many gut wrenching questions and pain at this time!
And after receiving that news, my youngest sons roommate has been diagnosed with brain cancer at the age of 20. This young Christian man continues to fight and blog his situation with such amazing force!
I am thankful to you Melissa for your words,biblical texts,books and love. You have NOT swung too far on the pendulum.
Life is REAL and Life goes quickly!!!
We all have "Boundaries to our protests" Yes, Lament is a cry to GOD! We all need to
BE REAL AND REVERENCE GOD!!!
Triumph is in our Midst~
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com
Wow !!! How thought provoking, Miss Melissa~
I guess I have generally been the "stuff the pain inside" kind of gal growing up ... But, when I first heard your dear mother talk about our having permission to "pour out hearts out before God", it REALLY hit me hard.
I think it was shortly thereafter that I started journaling directly to God, trying to pour out my heart before Him... And, I am So truly grateful to both your Mom for sharing Psalm 62:8-[Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.] with us during one Bible study or another, and for you reminding me of what the word "lamenting" really means to us as Christian women ...
I have been going through some of the roughest times of my entire life over the past few years, but have really tried so hard to "keep hanging onto Jesus" through them... I have cried buckets of tears out before Him, which makes me almost wonder if the Crystal Sea that is written about in Rev. that is in Heaven has been made with OUR tears shed before our Lord ???
I've been doing a lot of wondering "why" God has allowed certain things to happen within my life recently, and have sometimes had a very difficult time sharing them with Him.
So, I think that I may be ready to start journaling to Him about these things, as I have been truly feeling "heart sick" lately, and you got it, I have not taken the time to pray to Him about these difficult things. Now I know that the Holy Spirit is guiding me to do this, and it hasn't been just my imagination.
I know that I have been trying my very best to stay "key-chained to Jesus", as your Mom used to say, but I guess He is trying to tell me that His comfort can only truly come to me now if I "get real with Him" about these painful situations; one being my dear Daddy's passing through Heaven's gates a year ago on March 24th. And, I know that it is due to the Leukemia that we didn't learn about until he was in stage 4 of 4only 8 months before his passing. But, I don't suppose that his being 77 years old helped a whole lot. However, I miss him so much sometimes, yet I have really been trying to allow my grieving process to see my Dad enjoying himself in Heaven, because I know that he is there, and Heaven is supposed to be so much more awesome than anything we have seen or done here on Earth...
And, as much as I wanted to stay in Houston almost 5 years ago now, I knew that the Lord was not simply "asking me" to move back to my home state of Wisconsin, He was "calling me to do so." And, I am so very grateful that I listened and obeyed the Lord at that time, as I could have missed out on spending the last 4 years of my Dad's life up here with him and my Mom ... Praise the Lord !
In Christ's Love,
Jennifer
Southern Wisconsin
....so much to say and think about. I figured God knows my every thought so I can't necessarily fake it. If my heart attitude is shaking my fist at Him in "lament" he knows it so I try to let it all out in my private time only. He knows me inside and out so I will just be honest with Him. I always add a good dose of praise because HE alone is worthy, I love Him and He is always right and I really think He knows that my fist shaking, crying out to God aka "lamenting" is more for the frustration of sin in this world and the suffering it causes. Yet, alos, knowing all the while He is Sovereign and allows things to happen and could change things in an instant if He wanted.
We have some dear friends experiencing tremendous trial and we have been before the throne for the situation for months....it has changed me, transformed my prayer life,renewed my faith and deepened my love for our Savior and King....never have I seen or felt such tremendous love and never before have I dwelved into and "gotten" the psalms. It seems to me from the Scripts (couldn't resist) that God desires our wrestling and thinking and conversing with Him. He didn't smote Jer. because of His question yet in His sweet yet firm way chastised Him. I guess there is that balance. Anyhow, I think I am rambling now and getting too deep for my shallow end of the pool :) Re: the Psalms there is a fantastic song out by Aaron Keyes, "Psalm 62" It is just lovely and worshipful and so Psalmish....check it out on youtube or itunes but if you want to hear it before you buy it on youtube. Thanks for the very thought provoking post!
AAAHHHHH!!!!! That is a sigh of relief...seriously how refreshing it is to think that my anger and frustration can be seen as worship...if expressed correctly! I always feel like I should stifle it away...but if we look at it as you have presented so well in your blog, then it most certainly can be worship...I am so in awe...THANK YOU for taking the time to study and research! God bless you girl!
If there is one scripture that is becoming sweeter to me with age, it is Mark 9:24... "Lord I believe, please help my unbelief." I didn't contribute to the favorite books post, because my favorite books list reads like a catalog of doubt "Disappointment with God" "Reaching for the Invisible God" "The Search for Significance"
But I have only ever found God bigger than all of my doubt and mindful that I am but dust. I am a WHY kind of person, and He knows it well. He made me that way! But no matter what I'm wrestling through with Him at the moment, I am reminded that I can never questions His love for me. The cross forever settled that. He didn't leave me a list of steps to follow to reach Him, He can to me. Some days, I feel that's all I have. But I have always found it more than enough.
Melissa,
You have written such a thought provoking post. Thank you for your transparency and insight. I have come to understand that my heart is layed wide open to God. He knows if I am needing to be blunt and cry out my fears and doubts to Him. The times when I have been totally honest with my feelings to Him have been the times of my greatest renewal and spiritual breakthrough. Our issues keep us humble before Him. I know He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him. He is always ready and willing to restore us when we need restoration. I think He wants us to be honest and tell Him what He already knows anyway, so He can bless us with an answer. Beauty for ashes.
"...a drop in the ocean compared to the grief in the heart of God himself at the totality of suffering that only God can comprehend”
That is profound.
Your post brought to mind the first time I read the Psalms and truly realized the tone and weight of the words being used. I was faced at that time with a painful situation and the freedom and awe and permission I felt God gave to me to put voice to some of those groanings rocked my world- very unlike my conservative Baptist upbringing. In response to your questions, I concur there are no easy answers. As I ponder scenarios, I think there might be a balance achieved by the leading of the Spirit. I don't say that flippantly or tritely. And now I'm going to chew on it some more. Thank you for your example and encouragement and challenge to think.
Check out Job- I was thinking about it, and his life is a big example of this paradox. The chapter I find especially interesting is chapter 13, where Job is defending himself and God before his friends. He goes back and forth from defending God to defending himself and begging God for a chance to plead his case before Him. In the middle of the chapter he states amazing faith in God's character saying "Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him",trusting that he (Job) will get a chance to defend himself before God. The interesting part throughout Job is the fact that it says over and over that Job did not sin with his mouth before God. He laments with all his soul, and verbally claims his innocence in front of his friends, yet he never once says something that is untrue of God's character, and in the midst of his confusion he still defends and hopes in Who God is. Perhaps that's the part of the key. No matter what happened that seemed to contradict his idea of what God would do, and what is just, he still clung to the knowledge "I know my Redeemer lives," and that He is just and true and holy. When God spoke to him afterward, it was to show him that he can't always understand God's ways, but he can know that God is in control and He is worthy of praise and trust. He also blessed Job for his faith. Several women have already said something to this effect in their comments, expressing that while they lament, they still know that He is Who He says He is. I don't know, I still have to think about it more, but maybe this is part of the key to the paradox. I pray that when I come to a time of lamenting I will be able to stay strong in the knowledge of Who He is, even in my grief and confusion, and even as I voice it to Him.
Melissa,
I really enjoyed reading this all the way through:)
I had often noticed David's "lament" in the Psalms, and how much He would try to remind himself of who God was..it was really cool to see him go on his own " faith journey" so many times, and that was so encouraging to read:)
Personally, I have had about a year of trying to get it " back together" and it took awhile, after some " distraction" in my life, but that " colorblind" faith is no longer apart of me...sometimes its a process of going through a LONG wilderness, because shows us what He needs to.
I am doing the Believing God study with my friend from work. We meet at my church, and its just the two of us, but its awesome:)
Very articulately written Melissa:)
-Angie (LSOF)
So the real question is, When is Melissa going to write a Bible study? ;)
I think the balance is not in corporate Lament, but in getting real with God, allowing Him to heal us and then using it as a testamony AFTER that time shared with our Lord. You speak (and do so wisely) of the CHristian Circles, if we share with all of them our "laments" somehow "blow our testimony" that in our belief system "all should be well with us 24/7" HOwever i also believe that GOd wants a deep intimate relatiionship with each of us, and how can you truly be real with someone you wish to be intimate with if you dont share ALL of you including when you are upset or in deep despair?
In my deepest darkest periods my God knew of them even BEFORE i poured out my soul to him he wanted it,He needed me to be honest with HIm so he could heal me, as i poured out my soul to HIM (and only HIm) and allowed Him to speak to me and heal me all the while doing what He has called me to do, Be the face of Christ, and then and only when promted by the Holy spirit, when ministering to someone who may be suffering I share that "realness" that occured between me and my God, One Christian Friend was appalled i would speak such a way to THE FATHER, when i gently pointed out, God knows the hearts of man so what i was saying to Him was not a surprise, as it was at His promting that He asked me to GET real with Him, and it was the sweetest moment i had with My Lord ever. He needed to have me Lament or purge all my angst to Him (about HIm and Trusting vs Non Trusting Him) so he could heal me in that area to move to the next level of Faith. Did i tell others in my "chirstian circle" at the time noooo... but i used it w/ other sisters during their time of sharing burdens not knowing what GOd was doing in their lives. We have got to start getting real with our LOVING Father and not hide behind rules and "politness" for fear we too become the Pharases that annoyed our Jesus so much.. He knew their hearst just as He knows ours.
Thanks for the comment, Melissa! Yeah, I feel like I "know" most Moodies, even if we never met at Moody. I think my closest connection with you is that Pete Barber was my good friends at the same time that you guys did Europe together, and I know he so appreciated your friendship at that point.
Yes, my hubby and I are in Dallas while he finishes up a ThM at DTS... I'm hoping to get my MA in counseling after that. We're in the waiting room for real life, and trying to intentionally invest and take advantage of our time here until our next steps.
Melissa,
Thanks for the insight. In my walk I have finally learned to bring my pain to the Lord. To question and tell him my innermost hurt. Fortunately, this has always brought me back around to praising and loving HIM even more.
Melissa, such weighty material on the blog!!! Who woulda thunk it?? I am no theologian and have had very little college level Bible teaching. However, I think that when we're crying out to the Lord about our pain and suffering, when we're running down that long list of disappointments in our life and how we feel like He has failed us; we must be very careful that we don't talk ourselves into a pit of unbelief. Perhaps the answer would be for every heartbreak or disappointment we lay before Him, we need to give Him a praise for something marvelous that we know He has done in our own life or in the life of someone close to us. We serve a good God, and our Lord is sovereign. In the midst of all the turmoil in my life, I cannot even tell you or begin to describe how much that one word, sovereign, comforts me.
Tracie in Fairfield OH
I'm just wonderin' if I dare make the leap from God as my earthly Father to application I can relate to as a parent...In my parenting, I never want my kids to get respectful obedience tangled up with unapproachable.
I wouldn’t begin to compare God to my fickle parenting, but I’m just wondering is all…wouldn’t the Lord love the chance to hear about my hurts and draw me in close through His Word, through the power of the Holy Spirit in my times of deep disappointment? You bet He would. I’m just wondering if what I’m grappling with is as simple as the word “manners”…remembering good manners when I approach the throne…
Why is it that we think in order to be Godly we must always be "up". Thank you for this very insightful message. I have often wanted to cry out in lament to God and I always find it very difficult. I believe now I will find it much easier. Cudos to you, Melissa!! You are indeed very gifted.
Hmm. I am one who is apt to go the "God is Sovereign" route. Maybe out of reverence. Maybe out of self-preservation. But your words have caused me to think that perhaps I should wrestle and grapple with the possibility that maybe my pendulum has swung too far to one side.
I have never - ever - been a part of a worship service where songs of lament were sung. But the quick image I had of that while reading your post caused me to long for it - like there would be some great healing of souls in going through that valley and coming out the other side.
Hmmm. You've got me thinking. Thanks for such an in-depth look at this topic.
Blessings.
Shannon
Nederland, TX
Melissa:
This was a profound lesson.
You quoted:
"It is crucial as believers in Christ that the 'the cry occurs within the context of the yet of enduring faith and ongoing praise, for in raising Christ from the dead, we have God’s word and deed that he will be victorious in the struggle'"
This is right where I'm at right now. I have an ongoing physical issue with my spine - I have cried out to God over it - asked why it is happening - yet at the same time totally trusting Him that He wouldn't allow it unless it was for my ultimate good and for His glory. He's promised HEALING to me over and over - asking me to trust Him alone - and I don't mean through doctors. I'm out on a limb with God over this. There are some people willing to pray with me - and Believe God with me - and others look at me like you are nuts for thinking that I could actually trust JESUS to heal me! HE is the God of ABRAHAM, ISAAC and JACOB... and the list goes on. He is the LIVING GOD - the same yesterday, today and forever.
If HE wants to heal me HIS WAY - as HE has said to me - "then may it be done unto me as He has said..."
and all that being said - "Lord help my unbelief!"
I hear many people complain about things - saying: "When I get to heaven I'm gonna talk to God about........ [with an attitude that they knew better]. Well, I'd like to suggest they read the book of Revelation 5 - or Isaiah 6 - and see what actually happens when a man is taken before the throne of God. REVERANCE?? AWESTRUCK?? UNDONE??
Questioning God at that point won't be an option or even necessary.
Lamenting has its place as long as the focus remains on the GOOD GOD who allows it!
May all the PRAISE and GLORY be unto HIM. HE WILL BE VICTORIOUS in MY STRUGGLE!! All because of His sufficient GRACE!
Looking UPward and Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[Time to FLY]
Proverbs 19:3
The foolishness of man ruins his way, And his heart rages against the LORD.
New American Standard Bible
This one has so spoken to my life
Melissa,
Thanks so much for this blog. It made me want to do my own "research" on this matter, and I thank God that He gave you the desire to study this and share with others. I would like to see more of these on subjects that you are studying because it allows us to learn along with you.
Good stuff.
Part of lamenting is coming to terms with our own brokenness.It is a cry for healing. The more aware and cognizant we are of that, the more empathy we are able to feel toward others. For me the process occurred after I had children and realizing how my brokenness impacted my ability to parent.
Job lamented, wrestled, and , finally, acknowledged.
I think often of God's words to Cain in Gen 4 - to paraphrase - if you do well, it will go well with you, but sin is lurking at your door. Means different things to me at different times. In this context it means - lament, cry, wail. express your brokenness, your anger, your frustration. And at the end of the day - know. Be still, and know that he is God. (PS 46) kae
Thanks, Melissa, for being vulnerable and opening up about this journey you're on.
Personally, I've thought about this topic, though have not studied it as intensely as you obviously have. I fear that my opinion won't have specific Scriptures to back it up, though, I believe it is Biblical.
Basically, I believe God calls us to be authentic in our words with Him, and it seems that if we aren't we're missing out on a seriously important piece of our relationship with Him. HOWEVER, I agree that there is a line that should not be crossed.
As a daddy's girl, I have a wonderful relationship with my father. I have to say that I believe him to be an amazing earthly example of what our Heavenly Father is to us. I truly feel comfortable going to my dad with any question I have - and have done so frequently. My dad wouldn't have it any other way! Even still, there are certainly things I would say very carefully, words that would not be appropriate for the respect he commands, as head, leader, and father of our family (I still feel this way as a 26 year old mother!)
In the same way, I believe our Heavenly Father, our Abba, wants us to come with him whether happy or distressed, and wants us to feel that we can come to him with anything. If our earthly fathers deserve respect in the way we speak to them, how much more do we owe God our respect when we speak to Him! We can't forget WHO He is, simply because of our adoption into His family.
It isn't a well thought out analogy, but I think it's appropriate - if you wouldn't whine like that to your dad, why would you whine to God like that? OR, if you wouldn't say things against your dad to someone else, why would you say things against God?
Only the beginnings of my thought process on this topic...
In thinking about the "line" we can cross, when I look at Jeremiah's words, I think I see where the line is. We are free to question "Why" God would do something, even encouraged to. We are free to question "How" He's doing something, we are free to question "What" He's doing. It is when we question "Who" that we are in danger of crossing that line. Jeremiah questioned God's character- a faithless spring. We cannot say, Who are You, God, to do such a thing? When I look at Psalm 77, the psalmist cries out and says, "has your loving-kindness failed?" He's reaffirming that God's character is full of lovingkindness, and can't understand the situation in light of that truth. Lament should drive us to affirm God's character, and believe WHO HE IS, even in our darkened understanding and situation, because He never changes. That's where I believe Jeremiah needed to repent. Instead of affirming God's character, that He is a faithFUL spring, so why does it seem like it is failing, he says, "Will YOU be to me a deceptive brook, a spring that fails?"
The question, Who are you, God, to do a thing like this? is a moot point. God is God, and perfectly within His right to do whatever He pleases. That is the whole point of the last chapters of Job, Who but God did these things? Who are YOU to question Him?
We can bank on God's character. Trust in it. But He allows us the room to grapple with the tough things in life, when it doesn't seem like our circumstances match up with what we know of His character.
Oh to love Him more...I am so thankful that my God corrects me when I step outside of faith and belief that He is in all things and can do all things. His gentle, but direct words to my heart are received now with such love and care for me; that drives me to reverence Him and to believe more today than I did yesterday no matter the heart-rending circumstances. I am so comfortable with the fact that He wants authenticity and He guides me in conveying that to Him. Although, it has been a journey. We don't always learn the pure ways of God from past generation's "religious ways". But as I daily journey entering His presence those misconceptions of what I thought He wanted from me are replaced with His heart for me and mine for Him. He is all-consuming me!
Melissa,
Thanks for the deep post. Here are my thoughts:
1. I think God loves it when we grapple with deep issues like this. To take the time to think about these things means we care enough to put effort into seeking and knowing Him.
2. There are times for personal lament in prayer, even small group prayer, or even in a large group if a catastrophic event occurs. Lament and pain shouldn't be prayed from the pulpit, but I think its okay to preach about it.
3. I think God wants us to be as open and honest in prayer as we can be, dumping our purse to Him. The important thing here is to do it with a humble heart, and spend just as much if not more time asking God what He wants to show or teach us in the situation. Whether it's something we need to submit to Him, or learning patience, whatever - if we are open to hearing how He wants to use it in us, He will tell us.
4. Sometimes situations are so painful that all you can do is cry out. Like Jesus on the cross. When the reality of my childhood victimization came to light when I was 35, I was so hurt and angry. I cried to God, "Why didn't you protect me?" I had to let that emotion out. Then I had to accept that God let it happen, He is still sovereign, and I had to decide to trust Him through it.
5. Sometimes we have to train ourselves to realize that some things are not worth getting upset about. That everything - everything that happens is under God's control, and we trust Him (this means sometimes saying it until our emotions believe it).
6. As we grow in spiritual maturity, we will be able to handle more things without getting distressed.
7. The key, as you know, is to spend time with God. A good book to read is "Shaped By the Word" by M. Robert Mulholland, Jr. It talks about not reading the Bible to learn facts, but spending time in the Word and letting it work in you - Formational reading instead of Informational.
Sometimes I just ask God to "wow" me, to show me more of himself. I think your mom taught before about Moses saw God because he asked to, so why don't we ask for more of Him.
Hope that helps someone.
Peace in Christ,
Michele
Liverpool, NY
How about this? I feel we must of course open our hearts completely to God to truly engage in the relationship that he wants for us. How far is too far? Why not ask Him? He is the only one who knows! Right? He taught us how to pray, "Our Father, in Heaven, hallowed be thy name...." So let's go to our Hallowed Father and make our request....that we want to bear all while still acknowledging the greatness of who He is.
Thanks for sharing! Sometimes I think I'm going crazy and lacking in faith when I ask "How long, Oh Lord, how long?" I praise my God for the good and struggle with feeling like He is mad when bad things happen.....
another thought...being raised Catholic I learned and maintain a reverent, quiet prayer life along with the sorrowful repentance of "formal" confession. When attending an evangelical megachurch..I came to understand worship. If only our denominational divisions were not so strong we might merge the two...seeing the profound value in both...perhaps the dependency of one on the other. The only church where I've seen this exemplified in a powerful way is the Brooklyn Tabernacle. The Holy Spirit moves there in roof raising joy and the notes on the altar are laments to rival our dear David. I tell myself if I lived in NYC I'd be holier. Perhaps just shepherded in a more balanced fashion. God bless the Cymbalas.
Applause! Applause! Thank you for voicing what I could not say. My heart is heavy. He knows it and I need to lament. Thanks for reminding me how far I can respectfully go. My spirit knew this but you confirmed it. Thank you Melissa. Your God given wisdom is a mighty blessing for me.
Just read this in my homework:
"Those who attribute due praise to the omnipotence of God
thereby derive a double benefit. He to whom heaven and earth belong, and
whose nod all creatures must obey, is fully able to reward the homage
which they pay to him, and they can rest secure in the protection of Him
to whose control everything that could do them harm is subject, by whose
authority, Satan, with all his furies and engines, is curbed as with a bridle,
and on whose will everything adverse to our safety depends. In this way,
and in no other, can the immoderate and superstitious fears, excited by the
dangers to which we are exposed, be calmed or subdued."
John Calvin
Institutes of the Christian Religion
Melissa--
Tough stuff.
I can only speak from my own experience so here goes. I grew up in a very functional Christian home where I had almost no challenges to my walk. God was good, because life was easy. I had solid Biblical teaching from both my church and my parents and so had solid footing.
I rebelled somewhat (at least in my behavior)in college, but always felt compelled to return, confess, and get on with my walk.
Enter marriage at an almost "on the shelf" age--31). Enter a very tough season. Two years in to marriage, I miscarried and had an ovarian tumor. Three years later, breast cancer and pregnancy at the same time.Two very lamentable times in my life.
I remember after my miscarriage (early on Easter morning BTW), my mom came to be with us and I had spent the morning on the deck crying, folding clothes, and reading my Bible. That's where she found me and I remember her looking at me and saying, "You're going to have to have it out with God, and then He will give you peace about this whole situation."
And she was right. Because of my strong roots, I knew somehow in the middle of all the heartache, that God was good, all the time, even if I didn't understand how that could be, I had to have faith in that situation. And I remember going to my room, sprawling face down on my bed and weeping to my Father in heaven, asking why, how and all those questions.
When I was done, I got up and felt like He and I had just had an amazingly intimate conversation. And I felt peace.
I don't know how to explain it except maybe in relationship to a spouse. I've had times when my husband and I have had a time of conflict and then when it came to a head, we had a big fight. After the fight, when we had straightened out all the miscommunication and misunderstandings, there is a time of greater intimacy, because the hard things have been said and sorted out.
Because of my earlier experience with trial, my breast cancer experience was difficult, painful, and tested my faith, but I can't explain it other than to say I almost physically felt God's hand on my shoulder through the whole thing. He provided scripture to comfort and encourage me. My time doing radiation was perhaps some of the sweetest times of prayer and relationship that I have ever had.
I do agree, that our Christian culture tends to be out of balance. Because while God is Love, and my Abba, He is also Just, Jealous, and Lord. He cannot stop being One, just because He is the other. I am reminded of Isaiah "Woe I am a man of unclean lips". We need to hold God in his proper position of authority, while remembering He wants relationshp and intimacy with us. I'm not sure if this is where you were going with all of this, but it struck a chord in my heart.
Thanks for the opportunity it gave me to reflect upon God's faithfulness in my life during some very difficult times.
Melissa,
I wanted to comment on this yesterday but did not have enough brain cells left after midterm exams to form anything more than a grunt, know what I mean? I was in the boat of I can't really tell God, the creator of the universe the one who could splatter me like a bug on a windshield how I really feel. Until 2005 the year from the pit of you know. It was my second semester of seminary life was good and boom my father dies at the end of January. I am good with that I sufficiently buried it and went on about life. Then at the end of August here comes sweet Katrina(bless her heart)and totally turns my world here in NOLA upside down. Had to move back in with my mother(which no adult child should ever have to do for a long extended period of time) I lost my community here on the seminary campus, it was not fun.
During that time I heard lots of stories of the storm being God's judgement which would make sense if the storm had destoyed Bourbon Street instead of homes and a Baptist Seminary anyway I digress. Long story short I found myself on the back row of the worship center one Sunday all alone and I a tried to worship and put on my happy minster face, and instead I started to cry and wail I left the sanctuary found a quiet hole and for lack of a better term pitched a fit. I began to cry out to the one I had been so afraid of telling how I really felt for fear of not being reverent and at the end of it all what He really wanted to hear was that I was mad, sad, and completely confused.
It is like a child who is venting with there parent and all of a sudden they see the look that all parents have and they know oh snap I have gone to far. I think it is the same way with God, we can vent and tell him our feelings but there may come a point in the process where in our spirit we have that same oh snap moment and we know we have just crossed the line and maybe we need to back up. Bottom line he wants to know us and us to know him on such an intimate level and to do that we have to be willing to share the good and the bad.
Girlfriend I like your deep post, keep'em comin.
Carrie
Thanks Melissa,
Extremely well done AND powerful. A great question that needs addressing. My favorite songster of the day, Brian Doerksen, says the church doesn't sing enough laments in our worship services, it might put a 'negative' bend on what is popular and and go against the 'political' correctness of the day. Check out his song on iTunes, "Psalm 13." My husband and I were praying this morning about the condition of our world right now and felt the need to up the discipline of memorizing scripture. I'm sure as the day approaches, those laments will be powerful to quote as we deal with everyday reality.
Thank you so much Melissa for your eloquent writing. This post is something I will read again just to get make sure I got everything you wrote. I have gone through times of lamenting, and as one other sister who commented.....it was more "how long, O Lord?". I have felt free to voice those things to God, mostly because He already knows what I'm thinking anyway, and speaking or writing it out loud helps me get through.
I do feel like we somehow need more room to express lament in our corporate worship. I do feel like most people are so uncomfortable with any open sadness in worship, or expression of unbelief with the intention of being honest with God and asking Him to help our unbelief.
During times of my own lament, worshipping God with tears pouring down my face, on my knees, with the Word was a big part of my healing. (which is still going on!!!) I would express my unbelief, and fear and doubt to Him, then lay it down and choose to worship Him because my mind knew He is God, and He is good, even if my heart and my emotions hurt.
Thank you for this honest insight. God is indeed good, and He has never yet failed me. My voice will ever be in praise before His throne.
Jessica
About 9 yrs ago my niece had to have brain surgery. She had some condition, can't recall what it was called where her brain was literally outgrowing her skull. She had sleep problems and other things that led my sister-in-law to seeking to find out what was wrong, and this was the cause. My niece was 3yrs old and could not comprehend the seriousness of the situation. All she knew was she did not like what all the drs. and nurses were doing to her and it hurt! She had to have some painful proceedures done. The night before her surgery my brother came by my house and he was just in tears. He told me how he held onto her tight as she fought and cried and screamed, and how he cried too, knowing that he could not explain to her in a way she could understand at her age why he was letting the doctors do this to her. He said she just screams and I have to let this happen. He was saying to me how much he loves her, and he was not angry with her at all for all her anger and frustration and fighting. I cried with him that night as i told him he just gave the most wonderful word picture of our Father's love for us. When we turn TO God in our pain, remain "on his lap" and do our screaming, crying and fighting....i believe with all my heart that He says...I know child...but one day you will understand. I believe that my tears touch his heart but yes...this "lamenting" must be done with my face turned upward and trusting in his love for me.
Dear Melissa,
My dad has cancer. My precious, Godly, 62 year-old father who has served His Savior as a Southern Baptist minister for over 40 years has a deadly brain cancer that has an extremely poor prognosis. The diagnosis came out of nowhere. My husband, kids, and I had come home for Christmas and instead spent the holidays in a hospital watching my dad recover from brain surgery and begin chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
I had to come back home a couple of weeks ago and at at that same time, Dad hit a major bump in the road and ended up being hospitalized. A few other life events that felt totally undeserved blindsided me after we got home. A prayer that I had praised God for answering was suddenly unanswered. What?! Blackjack, no trade back, God! No fair taking stuff back!
Up until a couple of weeks ago, I think I had piously patted myself on the back because I hadn't been "mad" at God. All of my friends had given me permission. They'd said it was a "stage of the process" that I'd likely encounter. But not me. I didn't ask, "Why?" I asked, "Why not?" I considered myself a realistic optimistic. Sure, the prognosis was bleak, but God would carry us through whatever. I told all my friends that I was too much of a chicken to go through this on my own. No way was I leaving God's side. I'd ride on his shoulders through the unknown, trusting that He knew the way.
But somewhere along the way, I climbed down off His back, sat on the side of the road, and pouted. I felt very "picked on." What did He expect from me? If I trusted Him, He couldn't just change the rules right smack dab in the middle!
I knew it was okay for me to pour my heart out to God and be honest to Him. I knew He knew my heart anyway. But I was very uncomfortable overstepping my boundaries with Him. No matter what I think, or how I feel, He is God. He is sovereign. He deserves respect and reverence.
For a few days, I couldn't even pray. I have a circle of friends whose fathers either have or have had cancer. It's the most horrible blessed club I've ever known. And you don't get to join; you're chosen. But I texted and emailed those friends and, without going into any details said, "I need you to stand in the gap for me right now. I can't talk to God and I need you to intercede for me now." They did. I know not only because they told me that they did, but because I felt the difference that their prayers made. Honestly, I did.
At first, I turned on my praise music again. I had stopped listening when I hit this wall. I read a few of the Psalms that spoke to my heart. I used others' words as my prayers until mine could come freely again.
I had the kitchen computer set to K-LOVE online and I was listening to it while I was on my hands and knees cleaning the breakfast junk from the kitchen floor. Selah's version of "You Raise Me Up" came on the radio and the wall I had built around my heart to protect it crumbled into dust. There on the floor, I wept and cried out to Jesus. I apologized for doubting Him and for not following His lead. I told Him that I'd realized that I'm okay with Him being in control as long as He goes the way I think He should go, and that's not trust. And I poured out to Him my hurt, my fear, my doubt, my anger, my feelings of injustice. And I asked Him to heal my feelings. If I can ask Him to heal my dad of a physical disease, surely I can ask Him to heal my heart.
This post cried out to the very spot I'm standing on this road right now. I, too, am concerned that our culture's "intimate relationship" with God puts Him on our level as a peer or an equal. He is not my equal.
All analogies break down at some point, but it reminds me of what I tell my children. "You can say anything to me. I want you to always be honest with me about how you're feeling. But you have to learn to say it respectfully because I'm your mother."
It was not my intention to hijack the comments section. I needed to voice this, but maybe I should have just journaled it instead, but I did want to thank you so much for validating what God has been teaching me for the past few days. I'm sure this post spoke to so many people, but you'll never be able to convince me that God didn't have you post it for such a time as mine. ;)
Thanks,
Amy
WOW! What a thought provoking, insighful post. Awesome!
I'm not certain that there is a completely right, 100% correct way to lament that could be "taught" to any one person. However, I firmly believe that everything in the Word is there for a reason.
The portions that deal directly with lamenting are all so varied based on the individual's personality, the circumstances the individual finds themselves in and so many other factors that they all have a different lesson to teach us. They teach us "how" to lament, "how not to" lament, what happens when we cross the line lamenting, etc.... the list goes on and on. But never do I see that they discourage lamenting, either in personal or corporate context. I've certainly not studied them all in depth but will do so in the future.
I can say this; God is very approachable. There has never been anything I've felt I couldn't approach Him with. There have been times when I've need some correction on the approach itself but God has been patient and kind because, let me tell ya, if anyone had approached me the way that I've approached Him on occassion, I'd have smacked 'em and felt pretty dang good about doing it!!! :0)
The Lord has me doing a study in the book of Acts right now and I'm realizing how far the church has come from where it started and have been under GREAT conviction about the way I treat church and the way I see others treating church that I'm going to have to put "lamenting" on the list of things for future study.
Thank you again for the though provoking, insightful information.
Yours together in service for Christ,
Stephanie Barnes
Douglasville, GA
I know the times that I have been so upset with God for what was going on in my life, angry with Him, questioning Him and wondering "how long will this be?", I most of the time was laying down face to the ground in tears...ultimately knowing that through all that emotion it was He alone that could help me.
Wow...
I want so badly to understand what you have written here, but its a little too profound, and over my head for me...
But I am SURE it is very meaningful!
Do you have a Reverence for God Revisited for Dummies" edition of this?
I really, really want to understand... maybe if I read it a few more times....
Dear One,
I tried to take in your words yesterday, but had so much (lamentable stuff) on my mind, as we were headed to file chapter 13 bankruptcy. I couldn't even understand what I was reading! So I determined to come back fresh today.
You asked some good questions. I don't stand in an endpoint place to answer--still journeying with God.
But here is my attempt, because I respect and love you enough to try to grasp your questions and respond well.
We have faced many trials and hardship this past year--big, hard ones. This is what I have done and what I do.
First, before I come to the LORD with my lament, I am silent (like I was yesterday in so many ways). I may read His Word. I may just be still and know. But I am silent.
Then I make sure my heart is aligned with God. I dare not come before Him without being soft-hearted and moldable before Him. This means that I have emptied myself of self. And I have said and meant, "not my will, but Thine be done."
Then I fall face-down before God with a ready heart. I may lay there for many moments before speaking. I may even point at my hurting heart, and pray that He would read what is there...still not uttering a word.
Then I may begin to cry. And I cry out. I pour it all out: how I feel, what hurts, what my heart's desire for the situation is and even how it is affecting our family, our children. I DO ask why. Sometimes, He answers. And that response from Him is what has CARRIED this child through some hard days. Just to know that there is purpose from His hand for us and for others. It changes my response in such a miraculous way!
I lament for a good while, until I have poured it all out. Then I begin to speak aloud what I know of His character and of His love and heart FOR me. I remind Him that even though I hurt, that as long as He is with me and for me, I will go to any length to rightly walk it out before Him.
I end by listening some more...and by reading His Word. I write the things I hear down.
For me they are generally one word or two. I have written such things for this particular bankrupt journey as "advocate," "reorganization" and "declaring." Each word to me had significance, as God revealed and is still revealing how and where to walk.
In the midst of hard days, I may still cry out in pain. But that time of lament had already laid a foundation of trust in God and holding up my hands for Him to grab them and show me how to walk well.
I love your heart of seeking and desiring to know Him more. May He give you everything you need, dear Melissa, for life and godliness. May you bear much fruit and be blessed. Then may you bless others and pour out every good thing God grants you.
Love you dearly!
Holly
IS IT POSSIBLE??? -
In the future or at some point to have a part of the blog for Melissa to discuss what she is grappling with and to have her wisdom and insight into those passages?
Maybe she could do it once a month if her schedule is tight (I love how I'm assuming Melissa is all for this idea)...or more often?
I would love to have Theology and Tea with Melissa...big huge hint.
Love and prayers,
Teri
I believe that we serve a God who loves us more than we can humanly understand and who has created our inmost being .. so that in any situation He longs to hear our hearts. Just as i , a mom, long to hear the hearts of my children as they struggle with "life" .. so my loving, heavenly father , longs to hear my heart. I know that when i turn my lament to Him -- i give it up,i trade my yoke in and i take on His yoke, as it is light and gives more freedom than i can truly understand. I want to praise Him through the joy and cry to Him through the pain -- but always remembering who He is and who i am not. Thank you for making me think -- once again about who i serve and how i serve Him!!
Thanks, Melissa. This is a very timely message in light of my having to deal with the suicide of my cousin's 20 year old son. I have been lamenting and trying to keep in perspective that God is good all the time and only He can provide comfort in this horrible situation. It was very encouraging to read your note.
God bless you for writing it.
Good points, Melissa, GOOD POINTS.
Thanks so much for sharing yours thought.
You're absolutely right!
Lulú,
CHILE.
Melissa,
What a concept to wrap our minds around! I need to know for me personally that my God wants me true to him, to have an honest in depth relationship that involves my honesty as well as acceptance of his supremacy(sp). Thank you for the fresh outlook as well as your refreshing honesty. This blog has become a dear friend during this time of un-rest in the world. Blessings to you all at LPM for the light that you share via your blog page.
Cindy
Hey Melissa,
Thanks so much for these deep thoughts. God asks us to cast our burdens on him, all of them. It was easy about a year ago to not understand why people got upset at God, I never used to get those people that spent their entire life knowing God's promises and yet still be complaining. Didn't the Israelites in the wilderness teach us anything? He has given us eternal life! But then, I lost my third child last february and everything changed.
I don't think I wanted to be angry, or complain, but in the moments of grief so painful and real, the first question for me wasn't anger towards God, but rather, why are you doing this? I would be called a Calvinist ,and for me, the toughest part about believing in the sovereignty of God is knowing that God has allowed this to happen. So we wrestle with God. We ask him why, we lean on him, we "lament" because it hurts. This world hurts sometimes. We are to call him Abba and trust him, he wants us to come to him and cry out. But, there is a difference in laying your burden down and leaving it there, and wallowing in complaints. Refiners fire, it hurts, its painful, but in the end it gives us a clearer view of our Great God. It brings us closer to him. We can bless the God who gives and takes away when we understand who he really is.
Job cried out, and God replied with who He was and who Job wasn't. It took lamenting to God in my case, to understand who God really is and who I am in him.
The pain is still there and it hurts, like Jeremiah said, he can still taste it in his mouth, he goes on through one of the most painful laments but ends this way, but (God's) your mercies are new every morning, Great is your faithfulness!
Sorry so long, thanks for making me think!
Because I KNOW that my Father GOD KNOWS anyway and loves me more than I can imagine, I pour out my hurts one-on-One to HIM.
I am not at all comfortable with asking "why", although I have asked Him that very question at times. But the "why?" brings thought that I am questioning Holy, Omniscient El Elyon...
Had to share a "lament" with you that was hilarious. At our women's retreat this past weekend, one of the women testified to what God was doing in her life. She said how she came to the bible study I was leading (Esther) and how HORRIBLE it was. She said she came back the next week and it was EVEN WORSE - JUST HORRIBLE!! Then she talked about how Beth just went on about something and she never felt bad about it until then. Well as God would have it, He was doing a mighty, mighty work in their family and was about to show up GLORIOUSLY the following week.
But to hear her tell the part about the bible study, you would have thought between Beth's teaching and my leading - someone had done something hideous to her.
So much for recruiting new women to the bible study. LOL!
Kim . . . who is
Grafted by Grace
Wohh, I had to read this twice girl to get my heart around it. Not sure I even fully understand but certainly can relate. While there seem to be things I refrain from lashing out at God with, there have been times when I did not. Conviction seemed to quickly come and repentance was inevitable. However, it always comes with sort of a "light bulb" moment. Kind of like when the Lord actually uses your own words to teach you:) As soon as you say something you know it was God allowing you to hear it more clearly? I find that when I am transparent even with the Lord He is able to heal and work with me more easily. Mainly in my own life because I am very OCD and my mind tends to rehearse things and failures and issues and hurts and the enemy can gain quite a stronghold with me there. So, I have learned the Lord's way with me is for me to work through it verbally with Him. Once exposed to the light, the enemy loses ground with my issues that were revolving in darkness. While also I do have an amount of fear for the Lord (the beginning of wisdom) that does not allow me to say certain things. I am sure I have failed miserably on more than one occasion. But even then He seems to glimpse so deep into my heart that He knows it's out of pain and not really directed AT him. That is why I love him so girl. He knows me better than I know myself, you know?
Wow! That's a lot to chew on. I definitely lament, but not so much publicly. Only with a few close friends. But mostly just with God. Right now I'm struggling with how to communicate God's love and what He is capable of to a dear friend from high school who knows my past all too well. Thank you for your honesty Melissa. It is always so refreshing.
Melissa,
You post was a little over my head. But I think I get the drift. I think some of the most real beautiful laments come a soul who knows without a doubt that God is the only comforter - a soul who trust God even through the feeling and words of the mouth want to shake a fist at Him or more importantly at the situation, event or tragedy - the only way to really get this is to experience it - you will never be able to get it by reading books - Go to websites that deal with children with DIPG or go spend time in a hospital with REAL sick people and you will see and witness real - authethic laments - and people to spend some time praying for!!!!!
Okay so what are these terrible boundaries then? Who has been so smart to teach this? Who is so rich to impress all that? What “deep” teachings do you fear? You mean like blowing the political minds of most reformed people by telling the truth about Calvin: he was the first champion of socialized medicine? No, there must be something more you fear. This is not about any of those inherited idols. I see it is deeper. But telling where it hurts is the first step… you are already leaving your-self behind. Celebrate that!
Karl Barth kept a picture of Mozart up in his office until the day he died. Not just because he liked the old long-haired drunk’s music that made woman exhaust themselves in the vapors like Elvis, no, the orthodox hero and theological raconteur of socialism always had one quote he shared with every student, what Mozart had claimed centuries before “Protestants keep their religion in their heads.” So what do a lush and a commie have to do with sufferings of good people today? Besides telling the truth about Protestants and especially their Anglo-American Imperial apotheosis is… let it go…
They were pointing to the irony of their own “great-ness and stigmata” simultaneously. That empowered them to say, no matter the way the world has marked you, no matter the extent of its insidious seduction, even if you have gone Lewinsky on the Little Horn and begged to mother the waste of the world, leading innocents astray by the thousands. Beloved, I beg of you do not believe Satan’s lies about all that… get out of your head; turn your heart and change your mind. No crime overcomes jubilee, no wound is beyond healing! Our Father who art in heaven has done things you cannot imagine in places you cannot yet see, so you will never have to. To answer Jeremiah’s secret, what is the point, why make the Word of God too redundant? Haven’t you been told form Genesis 1 that the Lord slain dragons just to bear creation? So what are these lines you feared crossing? What are these boundaries and idols? I’ll tell you; they are no-thing to the Lord.
Getting honest, shedding the vestments of self to cloth one’s being in humility, like changing from priest to sacrifice, is the start to leaving the lies behind, the lie of self it-self behind. Don’t blaspheme the Spirit. Saying I know the Truth must be this or that way always leads to saying ‘if I return to God He will not forgive me.’ Once you’ve begun don’t turn back. Saying I know my place already is like following the enemy’s assault upon the throne, for good or bad as both values come from hubris. Like arguing who will sit to the left and right of Lord Jesus. Strike out on the narrow path between pride and moral hazard, the only way to keep a firm footing there is in humility… stomp on the terror not the earth. Our heads are programmed by the age to be sure, as though things are always one way or another.
Have you considered the sand s as they shift? Or gazed within a star’s breast as it throbs? Is a mindset greater than these creations? Turn like the seasons and leave folly behind. What you have been told is no more permanent than the labels of shame and guilt that the world shackles you with. Lies, it is all lies. Repent with your whole heart and the shackles flee like shadows surfing the dawn. The trap is that the very ways you’ve been taught were the only answers are, in fact, most often the same forces that have consigned you to chains. Truth is Salvation already happened and while no one is struck holy, rest in full confidence of temporary sufferings. To be a partner in Christ’s pains writes out the affidavit of Heir-ship. The rich man and beautiful woman are cursed in their comforts; they are rewarded by the world and cannot bow to enter the Kingdom. They are who everyone wants to be but none have been Called or Advocated to be. Avoid much of this world just to boldly proceed on a little of the Kingdom, and before you know it you will be more than redeemed or rescued, you’ll see yourself reflected in the Lord’s eyes.
You’re on the path chica, rejoice!
1 Cor. 3:10-14
Dear Melissa-
I am new to your blog site and I have just finished the Esther study which was my first of your Mom's that I have ever done, although I had heard about her for years. I came across this blog as I was trying to find how I could send a message to your Mother. Not only do I need to thank her but I also feel that the L-rd has asked me to try and get to her an interpretation to a dream she spoke about the other day on our video for Esther. It was a dream that Christy Knockles had.
Melissa, I kept asking G-d, (I leave the letter out as a symbol of reverence for His name you understand), if I should just call the ministry but when I started reading your post today and you had just read Leviticus and were making comments on "reverence" for Him that we may not "get" in this church age, I just had a feeling He was telling me to write to you here. Amen sister. First I will address this. I love the subject matter of your post. I lament most assuredly to Him as I see the examples in the O.T. that you have so eliquently pointed out!! How important though that we do it without crossing that boundary of respect to Him. And you know what? We gotta be reading the Word and pouring over books like Leviticus so as to know ALL who HE is so as to not disrespect HIM!!!
Now, Please let your mother know that I LOVED the Esther study. I love her and I thank her so much for sharing from real life experience what it feels like inside the heart of a woman to STEP UP, take COURAGE and walk through sheer terror to DO WHAT G-d wants us to do. I thank you Beth for sharing your real (bigtime) life and it's terrors. Not every one and his brother has experienced this. For me it was invaluable knowing it was terrifying for you too. Adonai used my Esther study to take me hand in hand with Him, and prepare me to take courage and approach the King in My life. AS I WRITE, the sweet reversal of destiny is sprinkling down over me like flower petals in shocking awe. I have tears as my new life opens up before me. I will work for Him always. He is calling me up.
Now for the dream. I worship at a Messianic Jewish congregation. I am sure you have heard of us that you have been to Israel and you seem to be fascinated with the Hebrew roots to our faith as well. In fact there were a couple moments during my study that I wondered if your maiden name might be Cohen or something! Here is what I felt the L-rd wanted me to tell you although you might already know this. Before I enrolled in Esther, I had just been listening to my CD of WATERMARK for a week or so. It is from the year 2000 when I used to buy a lot of CD's. I poured over the music relishing the beauty of it thinking, what an incredible beautiful, worshipful woman of G-d. How G-d inspired is this music!! So the other day in our tape, when you wanted to read that letter you got from Christy my heart did a flip as the 2 of you were my most recent impressed with, women of G-d. Who knew you were even friends! What good you both do for Him! Santa in the sky above all the people in the auditorium. I think He wishes you 2 would, if you don't already, begin to learn to celebrate and teach keeping His real ordained holidays, (Lev:23) instead of accepting squeezing Him into pagan ones!! The Passover coming up we celebrate our deliverence from bondage by the Passover lamb, the risen Messiah, Jesus Christ, Yeshua Ha Maschiach, the last sacrifice. Etc. Etc. etc. Yes, and the kids in my church DID put on an Esther play for Purim. As people grafted in, as spiritual Israel. We do it. I will show you irrevocable!!!
Okay Melissa, this brought tears to my eyes. (You get that from your Mom.) "As the G-d of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, our forefather David and our Savior Jesus Christ, let all glory and honor be unto our King. Amayn. Love You All!
Melissa, When you first mentioned “pious merchants of emotional denial” I said to myself, yes that is what I call "them" and my advice to "them". But as I read on I suddenly understood that "I" am a pious merchants of emotional denial. I so don't want to dishonor Him by complaining that I think I don't even trust Him with an honest relationship of my loving Father and CRY when it hurts. I act tough and "it is for my own good" mean while I feel very alone in my human suffering.
The bad part is, I lay this burden on everyone else and count it toward their "immaturity" if they do lament. Forgive me Father...
I don't think my loving Father wants that either. I don't have scripture to back up what I about to say but I do think this should be in our private time with God.
This was most certainly a "ah ha" moment for me. And I am sure that everything I hear and read for a while will have something that helps me come to a better understanding. Cause that is just how God works. Don't you just love it....
Thanks for the blessing today.
Much to ponder.
Thanks.
Melissa,
I am not anything close to a thelogian, but I did want to share something that I have learned by simply living life.
If I don't give myself the freedom to lament to my Heavenly Father, in private (I don't know WHAT I think about the corporate lament), then how will He be able to touch and heal my heart?
Sure, He already knows everything, He is in control, and He has a purpose in all things whether or not I understand it.
However, if I can't come before Him and bare my soul (which no matter how much I wish it were not true, includes powerful emotions), then I cannot have a true intimate realationship with Him.
Not only that (and this is the point of my rambling), but I cannot have authentic relationships with others, either.
Tami from LA,
I can't tell you how many times I have cried out to the Lord and experienced what you are talking about (the answer) that very same day. I agree with you, it's like He wants to hear from us, but also desires for us to move past issues to more of Him. He takes care of us and just wants us to believe in Him.
Thanks for the post!!
just finished reading Courtney's post and it invoked in me the feeling i always get around people like your Mother....i see God's Glory and am so full of "comfort and joy" but when i ponder this beauty i fear how much "lament" it costs....funny, the lament part doesn't show....the resurrection body is not a lamenting one....the joy shows...the life shows...when i hear a gutwrenching lament in a church service it weakens me to the core....it is Holy....like the Revelation song....that is a lament...that is what God as i understand him hears(the earth groans until). "My Soul cries out" is a lament - it can't not CRY OUT! Tears of Blood is a lament which Knows and feels the Depths from which God hears us. And your man, N.T. wright would say we have both,"tears and joy". However much of either it takes to remove this heart of stone will be our measure...there is an abundance of both and we choose how much we will receive...i don't mean of painful occurences i mean of how we handle them - lament or denial and a more pragmatic outlook...but i'm rambling and not doing your kind of researching so i'll hang up now and do some journeying of my own...Thank You for bringing us into this discussion between you and your Father...p.s. i think of something that Ann Rice said about the difference between the Christmas Christians and The Passion Christians...you might, like her be a Chritmas Christian!Thanks again it is always SO Good to hear from you!!!!
I believe the answer lies in the words of the Lord's prayer in Matt. 6
We go to him as Father (and this is the relationship we intimately have with Him)
we acknowledge Him as Hallowed, or Holy
the balance is right there in the opening of this prayer, and prayer is our conversation with the Lord God Almighty, our Heavenly Father
The very fact you are being transparent in this theological journey is complete refreshment.
I find your thinking process quite amazing. Thank you.
Personally, I have been on both sides of the spectrum. In my earlier years with my relationship, I was the one who pretended my emotions were not there out of reverence and respect to God and to be the "Christian" I am suppose to be. As I get older and older (approaching 40), my intimate relationship with God demands complete rendering of my heart. Laying it all bare for He sees it anyway. And He is the Master Fixer, Healer and Friend. What my Father wants from me is truth in the inner most being--and my emotions go right along with that. And the solution for me and my walk (I can only speak for me) is to speak, shout, praise, lament when needed as it is the whole package of relationship.
May God bless you Melissa in your ministry and journey with HIM.
Shelly in Fl.
Melissa, thank you for your honesty. However, too much theology and trying to think through everything would be damaging to my faith. I need to know that I can always, always come to God. I'm so thankful that He doesn't require me to have it all together to do so. I come in faith.
Reverence for God - absolutely. But in the dark hours I need to know that I can go to Him, cry, share my heart, and receive His love and healing.
I think one reason we don't lament is we are trying to come before God in our perfection and try to be somewhat holy before Him. We forget Rm 8:1 "there is no condemantion to those who are in Christ". And also, wherever it say's "His grace is sufficient for us". He already knows what's bugging us before we come to talk to him. Lamenting teaches us that He is God, We need Him, His grace can handle it in a heartbeat, and We need the truth in ourselves more than we need the perfection. We will never be perfect before God, in what we do or say, whether in or out of prayer. Yet perfect in His eyes because of His grace. Sometimes we just need to lament and admit how bad it hurts. And sometimes I see the selfishness in me as I cry out to God over something I thought was huge. I would have never seen it until I gave it a voice. God in this way has saved my own disgrace of selfishly lamenting before others and feeling like a fool. Oh, and let me mention pride, jealousy etc. If I take to Him first, He shows me the truth in it and loves me anyways.
Ps 51:6 "Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place."
Thanks Melissa,
Suzanne
I am a Christian Counselor and work in a counseing center at a church. One of the most difficult things I encounter is that most Christians feel guilty for hurting and not understanding their pain. Therefore, they never truly face and wrestle with the trauma and wounds in their past in light of the Gospel.
We are taught so often to trust God at the expense of being truly honest. (which obviously shows our trust is shallow.) From now on I will give my clients the link to this post.
Thank you!
~S
the whole earth quaked at the death of Jesus.....Does our Father not know Lament? God is the supreme sacrifice /lament for our salvation
Ever since somewhere in early college (15 years ago), I have loved the Psalms. And I do not think you can read them (and Job for that matter) without realizing that God can handle our complaints. I think one of the greatest gifts the book of Psalms gives us is the personal insight into David's prayer life with God.
However, Eccl. 5:1-2 has always reminded me that there is a line. And honestly, I think for most of us American, western thinkers we do tend towards hiding the emotion. I've been reminded recently from Ps. 31 that the Lord knows the troubles of my soul...and it's okay for me to have them and dialogue with Him about them. He can take my stuff.
However, we are wise to remember that though He can take our stuff, HE alone is sovereign over that stuff, and reserves the right to come to us, as He did Job, and put us in our place, so to speak! And then our response becomes repentance.
As for corporate lamenting, I'm clueless. I've never seen a good example of it and would categorize myself much like you in public "among the pious merchants of emotional denial" and at times callous to the suffering of others. My reaction tends to be: "It's fine if they want to lament in public, but no way Jose am I going to do that."
Thanks for the thought provoking post. May we all continue to come before the throne of grace with confidence...and receive the grace we freely find there.
Blessings...
Wow, Melissa. This is heavy reading for a Friday afternoon! :) Thanks for provoking my thoughts.
I think God absolutely wants us to be real with Him, and that includes our laments! I think sometimes it should be in the privacy of our relationship with Him, and at others it should be in a more corporate setting. We should be able to learn from one another through this practice.
We absolutely need to remember Who we are talking to when voicing our laments, just like Scripture shows us in Jeremiah. I don't think at all that God wants us to just sit around, take it, and be quiet about our suffering. He is indeed my Master, but I think more importantly to Him, He is my Father. He treasures our relationship and there's a huge part of it that would be missing if I didn't voice my laments to Him.
What a complex situation. Being a Christian certainly isn't boring!
Have a great weekend.
I think the Lord loves when we work things out with Him and He meets us right where we are with that struggle. We can lean too far either way in thinking God is to be revered without exposing any of our darkness, or believing He is our best bud. He is God alone and the only able One to manage all of our messes and our joys. Thanks for a thought-provoking post. Hope Atlanta is having a prettier day than Houston. Love, Annette
Melissa and Anonymous,
You are right. I look back on that season of pain and suffering now and I KNOW He is who He says He is. I know I've had an encounter with Him.
I look back on that situation that was one of my worst fears, and I realize that not only did I survive it, but it has become an eternal treasure! It has more value to me than anything on this earth. And that alone is a miracle!
I've been amazed at how He has used this testimony in others' lives as well.
Thanks for the encouragement and the opportunity to share what He has done! To God be the glory!
Melissa, I do think with all my mind that our God wants us to share our deepest emotions with Him(although He already knows)God invites us to have a real life one on one relationship w/ Him. I do believe we can cry out to God in our times of trouble and in times of joy. And yes I have to agree that we much watch the way we come before our Lord in anger. But it is wonderful that he invites us to repent-and wants to so graciously forgive us. Thank you God that you love me so much andI know that I can never do anything to end your love for me.
It is a part of the learning isn't it? I mean, being relational with God. Holding your head back and just screaming at him for the first time and nothing happens to you--no lightening bolts, no immediate death of you or your loved ones. A moment of pure authenticity before him, just telling him, you know what, the buck stops with you and you didn't stop it. Why not? And yet, you find yourself still alive...not punished beyond measure. What a relief that is the first time you do that.
Sometimes, my children have to just yell at me because the world is too big and too hurtful and they come home and I'm the one they can yell at. On those days, I think I love them the most. I have often wondered if it isn't those days that God doesn't love me the most. I don't scold them on those days, I hug them. Hug them hard. I think He does the same for us.
Oh, to let each other just learn at the feet of our God who can bring it all to fruition and not feel the need to control it.
I just read this post today and have found it very interesting. I think I lean towards not wanting to question God and just say that He had a reason for whatever has happened or what I might be going through. But I realize after reading your post that maybe I react that way more out of fear of making God angry with me. I'm reminded that God knows our hearts and our innermost thoughts. Nothing is hidden from Him. He wants us to share everything with Him. I also heed the warning that we should be very careful how we approach Him. He is God after all! He is our King of Kings and is very Holy! Yet I'm so glad He is a very merciful God!
God Bless!
I so need prayer, but I need to be willing, ok...
I don't like the darkness deep in me and is so much of confrontation that i am not comfortable with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dear Melissa, As I read your blog entry yesterday I decided that this 64 year old had gotten in over her head. I need to read it several times to get the full impact of it. I had no idea that I would be writing a comment on it until today. I referred your entry to two friends today because of a tragedy that happened to a family here in Eldorado. Last Friday, a brother and sister, attending A&M and living together, were shot and killed by a young man the sister had dated. These young people were from a Christian home and very close. They have a 15 year old brother at home who idolized his big brother and sister. One friend that I referred to your entry works with the Mother of the slain. She said that several had suggested the young brother seek counseling and was hoping that he would know that grieving was okay. When she said that, your blog came to mind and I told her about it. She is very much familiar with your Mom, of course. Melissa, this is one of those times that we cry out to God and say, why have you allowed such a tragedy to happen? I lost my only child a few years ago and that was a nightmare to get through. I cannot imagine losing two at once...and to such a seemingly senseless way. Our small town is still in mourning for the family and their loss. I also referred your entry to my good friend because of what happened and because of some things she is going through with her family. (FYI...we are doing Esther together) As Esther says, "who knows but that you wrote this article for such a time as this."
Oh my word sister!! Wow!! But In my personal quiet time just this week I read the Ask, Seek, Knock passage in Matthew. I believe that this doesn't just mean stuff, this means answers, too, and that He wants us to ask. And if HE chooses not to answer, then so be it, but we must lament to Him. We've gotta bear all to him so he can heal/fix/transform.
Gulley
This was some great food for thought and personal testing. Thank you for being vulnerable!
I'm headed to Mexico tomorrow on a mission trip but I didn't want to miss out on the Siesta Memory post so I thought I'd get it done in advance.
NIV - 1 Peter 3:1-6
It's the same verses I was working on last round. I had difficulty mastering all of them this time.
If any of the Siesta's would like to join me in praying for God's hand to move during the mission trip, my team and I would be greatly honored. We're going to Nuevo Laredo, Mexico with a team of 24 ranging in age from 14 to 60. We're partnering with a local church to do evangelism throughout the city. My heart longs for the beautiful people of Mexico to give glory to God in their uniquely created expression of worship. I can't wait to see what he'll do!
Here's a link to check out pictures and trip updates while we're there:
http://awestar.wordpress.com/
This internet community is such a blessing!
Dearest Melissa,
Thank you for your honest heart...I too struggle with "theological questions" and yet when my heart is tender after a night of crying out to the One who wraps His arms around me...I know that it is FINALLY okay to be open and honest with Someone Who truly loves me. Praise God for a Father who loves us and desires to commune with us no matter what we present to Him...no matter whether good or bad....He is always there. Praise God that His mercies are new every day... Lam 3:22-23
This is probably a repeat of something that someone else has said but I need to tell you what came to my mind. Brokenness, confession, restoration. At least in my life this is how these words have played out. At least I think this is the jist of what you are saying, Melissa. Thank you for this thought provoking post.
Kels
Melissa,
Both rich and deep! I find great comfort in knowing that my God grants me access to Him with all spectrums of my emotions. God is technicolor where emotions are concerned while reverence is black and white. We can "pour out our complaint" before God while never losing awe for His position of authority over our lives.
He is amazing and full of grace.
Thank you for this article, my friend.
I don't struggle with this quite as much because God has been so incredibly faithful to me on this issue. I have a deep brokenness and much of my healing has come through times of lament. When God has brought me to my knees and to a place in which I can do little else but cry out. And then come the tears of healing. This is not to say that I have never crossed the line, but that's where His faithfulness comes in. He is quick to rebuke me and reveal my wrong thinking or irreverent attitude. I am greatful for His guidance because without it, I'm sure that I would be a "pious merchant of emotional denial." and still so very broken.
Melissa, i think you touched on something very profound (or it touched you) when you said:" ...I've felt a humanness i don't always feel. ..." That whole thought idea feeling is over my language skills to convey or my theological understandings to unpack BUT i do know it reaches into my soul to something very basic and fundamental... what have we lost and what have we gained? i'll be reading this post often.
Good job, Melissa! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Oh, Melissa,
What a timely Word.
I have found words to what I have been feeling.
I can't tell you how many times over the past 7 years I have said to myself, "Getting through the pain of the unexpected death of my sweet husband would be so much easier if I weren't a Christian. Now hear me out....I'm not saying I wouldn't want to be a Christian, no way.
But oh my goodness, the expectations to say the right things (he's in a better place, I know where he is and will see him again someday) act the right way (she sure is handling it well, she is a strong person) and respond the right way (I'm glad to see she is getting over this, she is still right there serving the Lord)has crippled me spiritually for 7 years. I never lamented.
While all the above statements are true and I do believe them and have for years there was never any lament. Never crying out to God.
Yes, I do believe there is a line that we should be wary of and I too tend to err on the "we don't need to say THAT to God" side. So instead of identifying it and naming it I just stuffed it away. But praise God there it is in black and white -- LAMENT!
I can't wait to do a study of this on my own. Maybe this 7 year journey that has me stuck has just been kick-started. What freedom!
Thank You, Jesus for using Melissa and Living Proof. May God bless you all!
Melissa,
Thanks for being real and vulnerable with what God is teaching you. I like to refer to the book of Habakkuk when I think of the line with God. I think he was respectful yet voiced his concern. Also I love the Psalms because David was a man after God's heart. I like how he seems to voice these things to God alone and then ends on a more positive note. I am alot like that because I am very emotional yet like you I respect God and take His holiness seriously. I think on your journey God will give you balance in this area that your heart will know. He will give you peace at what is appropriate. I cringe sometimes when I hear the throwing around of God's name casually too. There is a fine line and it is all of the heart so really God only knows each person and if their expressions are appropriate or not before Him. It is a tricky thing. May He show you what it is that you need to see in this. YOu are a blessing!
Much love,
Angela
Post a Comment
<< Home