Monday, March 2, 2009

Calling All Book Nerds!

*Comments are now closed*

Oh, I already love this post! While I was in my garage working out this morning, I was listening to my buddy Susan on the KSBJ morning show (KSBJ is a Christian contemporary music radio station in the Houston area and is so fabulous that it wins all kinds of awards). She let us know that it was "Read Across America" week and, thereby, gave me permission to give full sway to my favorite tangible obsession: B.O.O.K.S.

I love them. I love the look of them. The smell of them. The feel of them when you break a new one open. I love the spine of them. An out-loud read of them. I LOVE BOOKS. My grandfather was such a book nerd that my grandmother told him that, if she were ever widowed, she'd ask every male suitor if he could read and if he said yes, she'd say, "Pass on by, Brother." He passed that obsession on to my mother who honestly loved a word fitly spoken more than anyone I've ever known. And she passed it on to practically every single one of her five children. Keith, bless the Father above for one of our very few similarities, also has the fever. Our idea of a great date is to go out to dinner then hit the Barnes and Noble. We get a cup of Starbucks first and don't leave the store until we've drained it dry and opened every single book we can get our hands on.

I love books. I love to rub the palm of my hand over the covers.

So, here's today's topic. Name ONE - I said ONE, Siestas! - book you have absolutely loved (besides the Bible, our all-time, no-contest, unparalleled Book) and who it's by, THEN give a brief reason why. It doesn't have to be your favorite book of all time, just one you really love. List your information in this order:
  • the book title and author on the first line,
  • genre on the second line (fiction? non-fiction? biographical? autobiographical? Etc),
  • then the short explanation why you loved it so much underneath. (Long ones unfortunately won't be able to be posted so don't write a book on your book!)

(Please be authentic and don't bow to the temptation to impress your dear, impressionable Siestas by sounding hyper-spiritual. Unless A.W. Tozer really did write your favorite book, please don't say he did. Grin.)


This comment set-up will make the list easy to read and, I think, really fun to peruse. I CAN HARDLY WAIT! Now, dang it, I have a lot of work to do today so I'm going to really have to fight to stay focused while we're bringing in these comments BUT I will have the whole list of them to read a little later in my leisure. Let's hear it, Siestas!

I'm wild about you. Have a blast in Jesus today. BE REAL, Girlfriends. One of my Scriptures out of The Message this weekend in my quiet time was this: "God cannot STOMACH arrogance and pretense." (Proverbs 16:5) That's a word, huh?

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU ON OUR SCRIPTURE MEMORY TEAM, IF YOU HAVEN'T SIGNED IN WITH YOUR MARCH 1ST VERSE, RETURN TO THE PREVIOUS POST AND GIVE IT UP!

1635 Comments:

At March 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lonesome Dove
Fiction

I read it the first year I was married because it was my husband's fave, and I couldn't put it down.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Yolanda said...

A Woman After God's Own Heart; Elizabeth George

Nonfiction

Applying the words of this book filled with godly wisdom changed the atmosphere in our home, drastically. I then bought the men's version written by her husband for my Hubs on Father's Day. Literally, he could not put the book down, and when it ended, he turned right around and read it again!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:35 AM , Blogger LeighAnne said...

"Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott
Fiction

This is the only book that I read over and over again. There is so much simplicity and truth contained in those pages. I love it.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Terrie and Carley said...

Financial Peace by Dave Ramesy
Non-fiction

God used this book and the plan in the book for us to follow to get us out of debt.

Terrie

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
fiction
This is a beautiful story of a woman running as hard and fast as she can from God, but he finally catches her. A wonderful picture of how much he loves us. It is also a romantic love story between a man and woman. I'm a fool for romance!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Brenda said...

Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen
Christian Living
Because I tend to lean toward being a prodigal!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

From childhood, one of my all-time favorite books is:

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (especially the edition with illustrations by Tasha Tudor)

Fiction

I loved it then, and still love it because of garden itself (tucked away, providing a secret, beautiful escape) and the secrets behind the garden, planted with a love that eventually heals a broken heart. Good, good stuff.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth by Lois Henderson
Christian fiction (historical)
For me, this book makes the story of Ruth come alive.

Gaylene
Montpelier, OH

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Redeemed said...

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns
Fiction

Oh, this book makes me laugh out loud, cry like a baby, stop and ponder a phrase...all within pages of the other. The author penned it while living with a diagnosis of cancer (which eventually took her life I believe), but the insight she gives just makes me shake my head. AND ITS FUNNY TO BOOT!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Fiction

It is such a picture of God's love for us!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Caroline Schell said...

Oohh... so many to choose from...

To Kill a Mockingbird
Fiction
As a child I loved this book because it's set not far from my hometown. Now I love it for Atticus Finch. He showed himself as a man of great character in the face of opposition. Forget Edward Cullen, Atticus Finch is my literary crush!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Tales of a Peanut said...

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
Christian Fiction
This book reminds me of how much Jesus sacrificed for me and how much God loves me! Plus it's so gripping that I can't put it down every time I re-read it!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

The Shack, Paul Young
Gave me a fresh look at the character of God - at what a character He is!
Amy, AL

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Lauren said...

Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Fiction (a CLASSIC)

Forever endeared to me because I had to read it in 10th grade English, and it was the first book to ever make me cry. Literally, tears streaming. From then on, I loved books, loved English, loved reading, loved Dickens.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Amroosie said...

"The Shack" by William P. Young
Fiction
Although a fictional account, it packed a punch of Truth. Got me thinking outside the box. Love any book that challenges me to think - yes, even a fiction book! I loved seeing God's perfect love through using different individuals and circumstances to convey this.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Fiction
First book that made me sob, first book that gave me goosebumps, first book that made me sit up and take notice of the injustice in our fallen world. I was 13.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Blogger abraham's daughter said...

The Covenant by James Garlow
nonfiction
The most concise, yet complete teaching on the covenant. Has absolutely changed my prayer life.
(The content is also available on the Skyline Church podcast--4 messages).
Terri

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yada Yada Prayer Group Series and the new Yada Yada House of Hope Series by Neta Jackson

Fiction

The characters come alive in such a way that you can't help but feel as if you know them and are actively living out the book. Also, there are so many religiously diverse women woven together in this group that you you learn about different kinds of worship, cultures, denominations, traditions, backgrounds, etc.--all while enjoying a GREAT read!

Prayers and blessings as we all crack open a book or two this week!

Rebecca

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Atonement Child" by Francine Rivers

Fiction

I loved, loved, loved this book! I read it in three days flat. I litterally could not put it down!! It is a wonderful story of redemption and love. I'd recommend this book to anyone!! It is just soooo great!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Anything by Karen Kingsbury

She is the absolute best author of
Christian non-fiction books. Her books are about everyday life issues and how to deal with them from a Christian point of view. How to go the word for the answer.
Alot of her books are in series so check them out. They are awesome.
I am also a book nerd so I loved this post.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Boonies in the Boonies said...

Sacred Influence: What A Man Needs From His Wife to be the Husband She Wants.
By Gary Thomas
Non-Fiction

With two babies under 21 months, I don't have time to read very often. The books I've read before babies have somehow left my brain. Nothing has changed my attitude toward my husband and my marriage like this book. It is the single most relevant and challenging book I've read on Christian Marriage (and ladies I've read a good portion of the ones @ Lifeway). It finally took the pressure off of changing my husband, and changing my heart- something I could actually control. It encouraged me to meet his needs and rely on my Heavenly Father to meet mine. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this book. Fabulous.

Rebekah Boone
Bryant, AR

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Gone with the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell
Historical fiction
I have always been interested in the south during the Civil War and after. I read this book in eighth grade and saw the movie soon after. I just love a woman who knows what she wants and goes out and gets it.
Jana

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Fiction
I love this book because Miss Austin's style of writing is so very descriptive. (Oh yes, and I also love the BBC/A&E mini-series starring Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy!)

Deb
Cathay, ND

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Doreen T. said...

"Trusting God" by Jerry Bridges
Nonfiction
Provides a clear, precious reminder that God is to be trusted because He is lovingly in control over all. His purposes will not be thwarted. Praise God! Full of Scripture and touching personal illustrations, this book was terrific 20 years ago and terrific today.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Amber C said...

"Don't Waste Your Life" by: John Piper

Non-Fiction

Apparently this is actually a whole study by John Piper, but I just happened across the book on a Half Price Books shelf. It's one of those books that you can read and re-read and re-read and feel like you're reading a brand new book each time because it's got so much to learn in it!It challenges me SO MUCH and I plan on reading it at the new year EVERY year!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell
Fiction
Isn't it every Southern girls favorite book?? Not very original, but it's the only book I can read over and over again. If only I could be more like Miss Melanie every day.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Blogger SarahRach said...

Redeeming Love
by Francine River
fiction
I love this book mostly because it is SO STINKING GOOD!! I read it several times a year and slways seem to learn something new about myself while reading it. If you ahven't read it---GO TO THE LIBRARY TODAY!!!! :)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Walking on High Hills said...

Pretense
by Lori Wick

Fiction

I enjoyed this Christian Fun Novel because it's about sisters and friendships and love and was the first real novel I got entirely through that actually made me, cry, laugh and enjoy all in one. A very good read!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM , Blogger DeLynn said...

*A Severe Mercy--Sheldon Vanauken
*Autobiography
*A beautiful love story of a young couple. Documents their spiritual birth and journey as well as their relationship with C.S. Lewis. One of my favorite books ever!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beach Music, Pat Conroy
Fiction
It inspires me, transports me, frustrates me and entertains me. What more can you ask for from a book?

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Sunni said...

-Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
By Judy Barrett

-Fiction, Children's Book

-The book describes the town of Chewandswallow, where the weather comes three times a day, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and is always food and beverages. The rain is juice and soup, the snow is mashed potatoes, and the wind brings hamburgers.

This has always been one of my very favorite books and I can't wait to read it to my daughter one day. I have a feeling she will love it. She likes food more than I do!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Blogger petrii said...

The Dream Giver
by Bruce Wilkinson

Parable 1st half
Explanation of Parable 2nd half
(how's that for genre =)

I love this book because I can relate. It is about a Nobody named Ordinary who lives in the Land of Familiar, but he has a Big Dream and goes through many things to realize his Big Dream. The Dream Giver is my favorite book ever!!! If you haven't read it, get it TODAY!!

Blessings to you,
Dawn in Missouri

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Heather said...

The Sacred Romance - Brent Curtis and John Eldredge

Spiritual

This book really met me where I was at when I read it many years ago. I learned so much about God and the way he loved me though this book regardless of the arrows in my life. I highly recommend this book!! I could write a novel but I wont ... pick it up it's a great one!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
- Fiction
- My heart melted over this love story which re-tells the biblical story of Hosea in the form of a prostitute who is wooed by a kind farmer determined to love her. It weaves God's unconditional love through the romance between the prostitute and the farmer.

Love this post!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

All-time fave- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Read it in one night- started before bed at 10:00 and stayed up until I finished- about 4:00 a.m.!! Two others that I loved reading are Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden and Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Jessie said...

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Historical fiction
It just totally sucks me in. It is beautifully written and has the innocence of youth right next to the ignorance of adults. And one of the very few books that was made into an awesome movie too!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Kari said...

The Mark of the Lion Series (total of 3 books) by Francine Rivers
Christian Fiction
Although fictional, she uses true fact of the early church and the persecution of Christians to weave a wonderful, profound story that made me go back to the Word and learn more!!! She reminds us how loved we are by the Lord through these stories!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Pam said...

Oh Beth, I am totally a book nerd, too. Bibliophile extraordinaire, swooning at the entrance of a bookstore.

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
Fiction

Love this book EVERY time I've read it because I see myself in it over and over throughout its pages. I've given my copy away . . . again, and now need to replace it . . . again. This book touches my heart almost as much as God's Word.

Thanks for this post, Beth. Can't wait to see all the others!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Blogger My Dear Gs... said...

To Kill A Mockingbird
By Harper Lee
Fiction

I love the overarching themes of the book, namely justice, and kindness for all people, regardless of their stature. I re-read it every year to remind myself of the great story and the practical principles in this work of fiction. And, I just love that spunky little Scout!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth,
Just wanted to come by and Thank you for being a part of Focus on Marriage this weekend. It was such a blessing to us. I've heard you before, done some of your Bible studies, and also have attended one of your conferences, so I just knew God was going to shine through you... and He did. I am so thankful my husband was there to hear it all too. It was a great day, full of wonderful information and blessings.
On the topic of your post..
I love this book:
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
Fiction
Not a christian book, but a good, clean, wonderful love story!! Movie is awesome too!
Thanks again,
Alyce

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Little House" series, Laura Ingalls Wilder
children's historical fiction

I loved these books as a little girl, and never stopped loving them. It may sound strange but God has used these books to shape and change my life: to bring me friends when I had none; to bring about life-changing situations which would eventually help pull me "out of the pit" and bring me freedom; and even to bring others to Christ. Wow. And it looks like He's about to do some really great new things in my life which again trace back to these books. He never ceases to amaze me, what He can use, and how much He can accomplish through them.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot choose one, Karen Kingsbury
Christian Fiction
They are all incredible stories of people who journey through life searching for something and finding God! Although they are fiction, by the time you are done with one of the novels you feel like you know the characters so well they could be your best friends!
(my mom and i both love reading )
- Elizabeth Ellen

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Hands down...read every year
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
I love to see the interactions of these quirky, wonderful people--their motives and words. My favorite part is when Jane first sees Mr. Darcy's home and then (oh my!) he shows up!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Book a Day said...

Boundaries with Kids by Dr. Cloud and Dr. Townsend (1998 version-have not read the new one)

Non-fiction, parenting book

I, too, am a book lover. Therefore, I am going to have to say this is my favorite book this quarter of this year. :)

I loved their insight on how hard relational consequences are for children (and adults!) to take.

"Psychological and negative relational consequences, such as getting angry, sending guilt messages, nagging, and withdrawing love, usually do not motivate people to change. If they do, the change is short-lived, directed only at getting the person to lighten up on the psychological pressure."

I have one 19 month old child. I haven't used any of these negative consequences on her and hope not to. This book ended up encouraging me to improve how I treat my husband. I know that if I keep yelling at him when I'm annoyed, one day I'll be yelling at my child too. I haven't yelled at him in 3 months. PTL!

And the book also says it's okay to hold an infant. They are already limited in what they can do. It's not spoiling them. :)

Is this too long?

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Hands down...read every year
Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen
I love to see the interactions of these quirky, wonderful people--their motives and words. My favorite part is when Jane first sees Mr. Darcy's home and then (oh my!) he shows up!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT HOME IN MITFORD by Jan Karon
Non-fiction

This is a delightful book that is encouraging with the developing characters (an Episcopal Priest is the main character)but is has scripture throughout and the plan of salvation. I read it at a very difficult time when my Mimi was very ill and in addition to the Bible it has helped me grow spiritually.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM , Blogger aguhmom said...

"Home to Holly Springs"
Jan Karon
Fiction

JK's writing style is so authentic.
She covers all emotions, gives great detail description,& weaves
her story w/underlying stories
better than anyone. Father Tim
becomes so real you claim him.
Be your own best friend, get a hot
cupa,a soft blankie & JK's book!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Dana said...

I just love reading The Message--talk about some straight talk from God! :)

Favorite book(s): The Mitford Series by Jan Karon
Fiction
These are the most fun, "feel good", I-can-read-them-over-and-over books ever, in my humble opinion. Just gotta love Father Tim!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
autobiographical
I LOVED the Little House On the Prairie series growing up and this told more of the story of her life after the series ended.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Adele said...

I Married Adventure by Luci Swindoll
Autobiography
- Loved it for how Luci celebrates life as a single woman, stirring up within me an appreciation for the freedom single life affords me

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

TWILIGHT by Stephanie Meyer
Fiction
I love that it includes the ideals of integrity, morality, putting someone's good above your own desires; it is one of the most romantic and intriguing books I have ever read. Written for teens, but I'm 43 and love it!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Blogger barbara head said...

I am also a "book nut". I have boxes and boxes of books. They fill a storage space right now. Below is one of my favorites:

PILLARS OF THE EARTH by Ken Follett It is an historial novel (fiction but historially accurate) Takes place over a 100 year span in the 1100's. It is about a man named Tom Builder who wants to build the greatest Cathedral in England. It is very informational and has interesting characters and a fasinating storyline.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte
Gothic fiction
I can read this book over and over again. It's so well written and a wonderful love story. Ms. Bronte has such insight, especially for a woman of that time, into the human mind and behavior.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

Sarah: Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
Fiction
I read this book when I was a little girl. It is set in the late 1800's. A mom dies and leaves her husband, daughter and son. The father writes away for a mail order bride and they all eventually fall in love with her. I guess even as a little girl, I loved a love story!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

any and all books by Karen Kingsbury

Christian fiction

she is an amazingly gifted writer with a huge heart for the things of God. Each and every one of her stories relates to our human-ness and how we can find the answer in God and His Word.

i eagerly wait for each and every book she authors.

thanks beth ! cool post.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Mindy said...

Ok, I'll go first!!

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
Christian Fiction

This is an absolute MUST READ!! It is based on the story of Hosea in the Bible. It is a love story and so beautifully depicts God's unconditional love for us! In fact, it was the first book that Francine Rivers wrote after becoming a Christian. EXCELLENT!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

Aw, just one?!? So, so hard to choose!

The Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis
Fiction

I loved the series as a child. Even before I fully grasped the full concept of God's grace, they spoke to me. Re-reading them as an adult saved only a few years ago, and recognizing the Christian symbolism makes the message of the book all the more precious!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Keelie said...

In His Steps by Charles Sheldon
Fiction
This is my favorite book because it shows what can happen when just one person decides to follow in the footsteps of Christ. This book will make you look at your day to day actions in a very different way--throught the eyes of Christ. An oldie, but goodie.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Blogger A Stone Gatherer said...

God and Kings by Lynn Austin (it's part of a wonderful series called - Chronical of the kings)
This is historical fiction
I love this book and others because it adds a different dimension to the people in the Bible. She has the scripture she used as part of her research, so it had me in Kings, Chronicles, and Isaiah. The book starts when Ahaz is king.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Blogger gigetgirl said...

my favourite book:

THE RED TENT

The Red Tent is a novel by Anita Diamant. It is a first-person narrative which tells the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob and sister of Joseph, a talented midwife and proto-feminist. The book's title refers to the tent in which women of Jacob's tribe must, according to the ancient law, take refuge while menstruating or giving birth, and in which they find mutual support and encouragement from their mothers, sisters and aunts.

I LOVE LOVEd reading this book at the time in my life when I had just given birth and was yes...pregnant again with baby # 3. I was so hungry for relationships like these women shared. It filled some very empty places in my soul & made me search out women I could trust/listen to/be mentored by and hunger along after Christ shoulder to shoulder. I have found such women. God be praised. Discover this wonderful word picture. it is a treasure

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Let Love Grow said...

When Crickets Cry By Charles Martin

Fiction

This is a story where a man and a little girls' struggle intertwine - Each have something that will change the life of the other. It will make you cry, so bring the tissues. The author is like a christian Nicholas sparks. Many lines will make you think. If you have had close experience with heart conditions (physical), know it is pretty intense in the descriptions of these issues. I loved this book and hope to read it again! It is one of my most recent favorite reads. I highly recommend it!

Tammie Hull (it is listed on my blog's "bookshelf" - go there for further description)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Callie Glorioso-Mays said...

The Atonement Child (by Francine Rivers)

Fiction

Oh my goodness!! I re-read this book every year or so and have lent it out to countless times to friends/girls in my college dorm. I am not a girl who cries in movies and from books, but I always end up bawling at the end of this one! The story is absolutely gripping! Enjoy!! : )

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life of Pi
Fiction

I think this book is extremely original and there is nothing like reading it the first time. It blows you away.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Inside, Outside by Herman Wouk

Fiction (but semi-autobiographical)

---Describes growing up Jewish in NYC in the 40s/50s as the son of Russian immigrants

---Reveals the conflict between the "Inside" Jewish family life and the "Outside" experience of assimilating to American culture

---As expected from a Pulitzer Prize winning author (The Caine Mutiny), it's extraordinarily well written

---Fall off the couch funny; I laughed until I cried the first time I read it (1985) and every time since then as well; it's the kind of book you love reading again every few years and remembering each time why you loved it so much

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM , Blogger barbara head said...

Oh, my goodness! You, my dear Beth have birthed a "monster". Just kidding but as I read through some of the comments, I wanted to go back and put at least a dozen or more books on the list as my favorite. Asking a Bibliophil to name their favorite book is like asking a human being not to breathe.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:58 AM , Blogger Janie said...

This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

Fiction

This was such a powerful story about spiriutal warfare and the power of praying people.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM , Blogger krdakota said...

The Hiding Place
by Corrie Ten Boon
Autobiography

I've read this book numerous times. I love it because of the huge spiritual concepts she teaches using pictures from her life. My favorite and the one I have clung to the most is that God will give us what we need at the time we need it the most. A picture from Corrie's life that her father would give her the train ticket only right before she got on the train. If I'm asked to face something difficult, I can trust my Father that he will give me the ticket at the time I need it most.

I, too, absolutely adore books. It was very hard to pick my one, top favorite.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Angie said...

The "Miss Julia" Series.
Ann B Ross
Fiction

Living in the Carolinas, I love to find regional novels, and these fit the bill. The series is about the adventures of an a widowed older lady refusing to be old. She's a hoot and her sayings remind me of all the things my grandma used to say.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
by C.S. Lewis

I like this because every little girls wants to be a princess. Now since I am older, I see my Savior in Aslan and realize that he loves me and I am a princess. Also, because it makes me realize that God is beyond my wildest imaginations.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed By a Relentless God
Christianity/Non-fiction
Francis Chan

Frankly, I needed an in your face look at how big God is and how small I am. It's in your face, but in an encouraging way. Love that!

Firefly Lane
Kristin Hannah
Fiction

Just a good story about two girls who grow up together.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Zora said...

I love books too.

Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian
Non-fiction

It saved my marriage even before it started!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger cdrosenbalm said...

Hinds Feet on High Places, Hannah Hurnard
Fiction
The character much afraid reminds me so much of myself. Beautiful allegory.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Laura_Primus said...

And I thought I had to avoid bookstores before for breaking the budget on books . . . now I read all these posts and have 20 more books to buy! Geez! LOL!!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A Woman After God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George

Non-fiction

Learning the priorities of placing God first, family second, work next (because you have to support your family), etc. freed me from much guilt that I would have otherwise experienced and allowed me, a wishy-washy non-decision maker such freedom from outside pressures. I go back to this book every time I feel I may be backsliding; plus just the title alone makes me refocus my goals!!

Karen H., Stephenville, TX

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Little Women
Lousia May Alcott
Fiction

There's a lot of great wisdom in the pages of this book on the simple life of four "little women."

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Rikki Kreger said...

"Waking the Dead" by John Eldredge
Non-fiction
I just thought it was --if not life changing--then perspective changing book. I think it was one of the books that helped me realize I can be REAL.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Melis said...

Redeeming Love, Francine Rivers
Fiction
...for all the reasons already stated!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

90 Minutes in Heaven By: Don Piper
Non-Fiction

I'll never forget his description of the music in Heaven. He also recalled the gate in small detail. I was left with a greater vision of home. Father never lets him off the hook either. Priceless.

Jackie
Lake Charles

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shogun by James Clavell

Fiction

James Clavell was a prisonor of war in a Japanese prison camp during WWII. The Japanese were notoriously brutal to prisonor's of war.

Instead of becoming bitter, he chose to understand his captors and their culture. James Clavell wrote a beautiful, insightful book about an historic period of Japanese history. It is truly a book of forgiveness.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Angie said...

Redeeming Love
Fiction by Francine Rivers

Tells the love story of Hosea, the love story of God, and showed me how much I need that kind of love...

Also, anyone heard of goodreads.com? You share the books you are reading/have read and give your opinions. Now that I have my friends on it, I know what we're all into...

For example, I think this is the link to my books: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1336737

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything by John Grisham
Fiction (all but one)

He's brilliant, captivating...and as a plus (which may help my faves fit in with all these Christian favorites) he now sticks bits of the Gospel in with the legal stories.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any of the James Herriot vet animal stories..just love animals too much to say only 1 title, they all follow one another like potato chips you cant put down Side note YES DOGS/CATS ANIMALS will be in Heaven!!! Why else would of God saved them in the ark may I ask???
Miss Beth...sorry about Beanie girl and the other little pup you had Im new to this blog stuff In fact this is my fistt blog posting everT Yahooooooo!!!!
Love ya miss Beth !!! ( and daughters too) Keep those bible studies coming....I finished Esther last week !!! Ya cant keep up to me Im soooooooo hungry for Jesus!!!
Thornhurstpa ( Kathleen in NJ )

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM , Blogger Sister Lynn said...

To Kill A Mockingbird
Harper Lee

I love the whole lesson in not judging people that is found in this book. I have read it more than any other single book - at least 20 times!

I see I am not alone in my love of this book.

Love from a TOTAL book NERD!
Sister Lynn

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Gloria McGinley said...

Two Weeks After and Unfair Justice
Gloria G. McGinley

Fiction

Loved them because I wrote them. Working on my third. Based on truth. Love stories of my family history. Hope you enjoy reading them as much as
I enjoyed telling the story of my family.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Redeeming Love"
Francine Rivers
Fiction

"OH MY GOODNESS!!!!" I am so in love with this book- I relate so well to the theme of this book- If you have not read do so- it is transforming! I am Angel and I am married to an amazing Micheal Hosea for those of you who have read the book!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Monica said...

"No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green" by
Melody Green

Biography

It challenged me in a way I'd never been challenged before...there were nights while reading it I'd just lay in the floor and bawl over the conviction. Maybe I'll drag it back out!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Karin Katherine said...

It's so hard to pick just one. There are many books that have held my favorite slot at various times in my life. Since some of them were already mentioned I will go with this one:

The Portable Dorothy Parker
by Dorothy Parker edited by Marion Meade

Its a collection of Dorothy Parker's short stories and poems. She was a character and for a timid young woman living in LA by herself and pursuing a career in the entertainment industry it was heaven. Especially since E. Jean Carrol herself introduced me to the book and we read it aloud together in a cafe in Santa Monica.

Books have a way of triggering memories & emotion don't they? Perhaps that is why the Bible is so comforting to me.

If you are truly a book nerd you need to check out www.librarything.com its a great way to catalog your collection. I'm at 700 books and counting!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Emily said...

The Book Thief
Markus Zusak

Historical Fiction

This is a beautiful book about a young German girl during WWII. It is about ultimate acts of humanity and the complete selflessness of a few people who will do anything for someone in need. Narrated by Death. It's incredible.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM , Blogger servant2christ said...

I can't really settle on ONE favorite but there is one that sticks out to me. If you have never read it you definitely need to.
"Daddy-Long-Legs" Fiction
By Jean Webster
This book is one of those that you just can't put down. I can't really tell you why I loved it so much, it was just one of those books. I am sure that all you bookworms know exactly what I mean.
Selina Barbourville, KY

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Fiction based on scripture

I have not found another book of fiction that captures the redeeming power of God's love and overwhelms the reader with His goodness, His mercy, His intimate love for each and every one of us. Every time I read it I am struck again at how He comes to save us over and over and over.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM , Blogger mindibz said...

Three Cups Of Tea
Greg Mortenson

Because it showed the giant impact just one person can have and emphasized the importance of promoting peace and fruition through education (especially the education of girls).

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

The Shack, Paul Young
Fiction
This work of fiction gave me a real insight into the trinity of God. I had never thought of each part as separate from the other except for Jesus. This opened my eyes, stepped on my toes, and kept me hooked. I am waiting to get my loaned copy back so I can read it again and mark it all up!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM , Blogger E. Tyler Rowan said...

The Atonement Child, Francine Rivers
Christian Fiction

This story had me sobbing and wiping my nose from practically the first page to the last! A remarkable, beautiful, well-written story about how God truly can use for His good purposes that which the devil intended for evil.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two From Galilee
Majorie Holmes
Fiction

I read this book during the Christmas season which happened to be when I was pregnant with my first child. Now I read it every year at Chrismas....my daughter is 29.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Big Mama said...

I'm laughing because I clicked over here to write:

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Fiction

And then I saw that Gulley had already posted the same thing. We're best friends for a reason. :-)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Smelling Coffee said...

And the Shofar Blew

Francine Rivers

Fiction

Holds an entertaining, yet powerful messaage to anyone in ministry to keep our focus on Jesus - while reminding us of what can be lost when we don't. I read it every year.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The God of All Comfort
Hannah Whitall Smith
Non-fiction

I read this twice a year. It "cemented" my breaking free.

Sandy

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

The Lord of the Rings (Trilogy- I will here consider them one)
J.R. Tolkien
The vividly detailed and fanciful world that Tolkien creates is nothing short of fantastic. Takes me to another world that is equally dark yet as beautiful as our own.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Blogger The Maulsbys said...

Mark of the Lion Series, by Francine Rivers! but out of the 3 to pick a favorite, Echo in the Darkness
Fiction
I've read the whole series 3 times, once out loud with my husband, once outloud to my college roommate and once to myself. I love them so much I think I may read them again! The main Character Hadassah is my role model. Can a fictional character by a role model?? :)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a non-christian book I highly recommend.

Coming Home
by Rosamunde Pilcher

The reason I recommend this book is because this author brings to mind all the things that are edifying in life. Taking good care of your home, enjoying your husband and children, a love of good cooking, savoring the life that God gives us. she is not a christian, but her books have always givne me an extra encouragement to love and enjoy the things God has given me. As they are. Not perfect, but gifts from his hand. I highly recommend this book.

Heidi McClain
Fayetteville, Georgia

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Christie's Corner said...

Anonymous by Alicia Britt Chole

Non-fiction, spiritual formation

This book literally changed my life. It's about the growth of character that God can bring in the seemingly hidden years of your life - drawing examples from the life and temptation of Jesus. It is such a rich book and beautifully written. The foreword alone blew me away. FABULOUS!!!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:11 AM , Blogger LauraD said...

I just finished reading "You Matter More Than You Think" by Dr. Leslie Parrot. (Non-fiction) Loved it! Who doesn't need that kind of encouragement? :)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christy
Catherine Marshall

Fiction

I am also a voracious reader, but this classic is one I've gone back to time and again since I was 12 years old. It just comes alive for me like no other book. My 17 year old son agrees with me!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore
Autobiography

Beth, you and Keith will love this novel. Chapters are short and you will not be able to put it down. It is a true story based out of Texas, and it speaks God's truth concerning living a humble with your fellow man. We are all equal in God's eyes, and this true story will awaken a renewed compassion for the downtrodden.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Jenilee said...

I love Sweetbriar by Brenda Wilbee - it is a series of 6 - historical fiction about a christian family that travels west. love it!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Wedding Machine by Beth Webb Hart
Fiction
I know the author, this is her 3rd book and The coffeeshop/bookstore we owned is acknowledged in the back.
It is about southern mothers and southern weddings and what can go wrong and this is Christian Fiction.
Glenda/Walhalla,SC

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Deborah said...

The Proud Breed
Celeste De Blasis

Fiction

Tells the story of a couple through the history of Mexico/California, their struggle to love each other after tramaic events and people try to separate them. It covers their entire life.

I've read it several times over the past 25 years. I think it's time to read it again. First time I read it was in high school traveling from TN to CA on a family vacation.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Fiction
I cried all the way through it!
one of my favorite fiction books of all time!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Just Call Me Grammy said...

"The Shack" by William P. Young
Fiction

Not my absolute favorite-too hard to pick that, but my hubby and I are currently reading The Shack and it is one of those books that stimulates thinking and great conversation.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Did I say Jane?? I meant Elizabeth!
Oh my...I DO have a fever still from the flu...does that get me a mulligan?

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Wencked said...

Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
Fiction

I found this book LONG before the movie was around or even in the works. It made me laugh out loud. I remember reading it on a plane and laughing out loud and then catch myself because I quickly realized those were around me ...oopps.

Bridget and I had a little in common...not the drinking or smoking but the want to find love and troubles with our esteem because of weight. I still really enjoy this book.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Chosen by Chaim Potok
fiction
A powerful book about aa orthodox Jewish boy who is a son of a Rabbi and is expected to follow his fathers footsteps and the way he breaks free from these chains. It is written by a wonderful auther who also is a Jewish Rabbi

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shack by William P. Young

Talk about a relationship with God and Jesus. This was so inspirational to me. I gave this to others as gifts. One of my friends called it life changing.

Eileen, Bensalem, PA

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same Kind of Different as Me By Ron Hall and Denver Moore.

It challenged me and moved me and I'm so thankful they took the time to put their amazing story into words to share with others.

Melene
Abilene, TX

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summer by Karen Kingsberry

Fiction

It hit home after the loss of my sweet baby boy before birth. This story really touched my heart and gave me peace in knowing that my God is in control

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:20 AM , Blogger The Murphys said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Fiction

BEAUTIFUL portrayal of God's infinite LOVE, GRACE and FORGIVENESS

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers
Fiction

I know you said one, but you can't read just one. You have to read all three. I normally do not read a lot of fiction, however, I fell in love with these books. This is series begins when Rome was at it's prime and ends with the fall of Rome. Sin was running rampant and the Christians were being persecuted for sport. There's the heart tugging love story, thrown in with some real history and above all...the story of the way our God can work things out in ways we never imagined. This series had me up reading until the wee-hours of the morning. It also made me realize that the "persecution" I suffer today is nothing compared to what those true saints went through.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Jen said...

"Same Kind of Different As Me" – by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

Non-fiction - Autobiography

It is a great reminder of the amazing way that our creator God can bring lives and events together in such a way that only He can receive the credit and the glory. He knows, cares for, and loves every individual. Life is not easy, but if we are willing to look for Him and give Him priase, He will show us His very hand at work in our lives. His ways are not our ways, they are so much higher…….

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Marla Taviano said...

Sacred Travels by Christian George

Nonfiction

Tells of his pilgrimage to sacred sites around the world. Sigh. Makes me drool.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Prince of Tides
Pat Conroy
Fiction
Pat Conroy paints such incredible word pictures I could smell the low country and feel the humidity. of South Carolina The depth of his writing took me right into the minds of some of the most fascinating characters I have ever experienced.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM , Blogger ocean mommy said...

"The Secret Garden"

My favorite from childhood! It is the first book I remember feeling proud of myself for finishing.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

A Severe Mercy
Sheldon Vanauken

Autobiographical

I'm pretty sure I could read this book year after year and never grow tired of it. The story in and of itself is a beautiful one, capturing the love story between Sheldon and his wife, Davy, but also the process through which they both became Christians thanks to the influence of C.S. Lewis. It's a stunning book.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

This is hard!!! But at least once every year:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Fiction

I love the time period; how Elizabeth & Darcy make significant personal character changes because of the way they've seen themselves; and also, the depth of love shown by Darcy in his financial sacrifice for Lizzie's family. Challenges me so much!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Nicole said...

A Room for Cathy
by Catherine Woolley

children's fiction

I read this book when I was in elementary school. I was never overly fond of reading, but this book has stuck with me through adulthood. Cathy moved and got her own yellow room in a beautiful big house. I always had to share a room with my sister and LONGED for someplace to call my own. That's why each of my kids have their own room. They need their own place. I find that I have lived my life looking for that "place" to call my own, and I'm still looking. Maybe that's also why I love yellow.

Nicole Taulman

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana by Anne Rice

Historical fiction written like autobiography of Christ

This book helped me better understand the historical context of the Gospels and made me fall more in love with Jesus.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love
By Francine Rivers

***I've noticed alot of Siestas have read this too!

I actually sobbed at the end of this book. I want to read it again but I have to mentally prepare for it because I know I will cry...it's that GOOD!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Marion said...

Uncharted by Angela Hunt
Christian Fiction

It is a very suspenseful story, that has many spiritual lessons that will stay with you for years to come. As an avid reader, it is one of my favorites because of how convicted it makes me, to stay the course and live a Godly life in mind, body and spirit.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything by Joel Rosenberg. I cannot choose just one.

Fiction

So timely and exciting. Makes me think and wonder.

Lawan Rivera
Phil 4:8

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Grace said...

A Life of Faith: Elsie Dinsmore Series by Martha Finley

Juvenile Fiction

This series is about the life of a little girl, Elsie Dinsmore a dedicated Christian, growing up on a plantation in the south in the 1800's. These books challenged me spiritually as well as in my parenting. They are just an amazing read, and Grace and I are now reading them together.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got shivers anticipating reading all these posts!!! To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Predujice, Little Women, Daddy Long Legs, Lord of the Rings???? SOOO many kindred spirits!!!!

Kay, here's mine, because I haven't seen this one yet...The Poisonwood Bible - fiction

The way Barbara Kingsolver is able to write five completely different personalities in first person blows me away. Their voices are unique and authentic...what a talented writer!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
Fiction

It's the story of a girl who gets her own way and lives with the consequences her whole life. Her father loved her, wanted what was best for her, but she was willful. It is a beautiful story, as she learns life lessons. My all time favorite!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Redeeming Love By: Francine Rivers
Fiction

It's an amazing love story. The overall theme reveals how deep the Father loves each of us. Amazing read!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Blogger I'm Dominique said...

The secret life of bees by Sue Monk Kidd.
Fiction

Just something about it captured by my imagination and my heart. I couldn't put it down. I could read it over and over again.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Blogger fuzzytop said...

I am a big book nerd too....I love stories, and characters, and I love how a good book lets you inside the heads and hearts of the characters. It's gonna kill me to limit myself to just one!

Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin. Fiction. It's just a fascinating and rich story, and it's a book that not many people have read (sadly)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM , Blogger MistyMae said...

Little Men
Fiction
by Louisa May Alcott
I love to read about that time in our history. I love the the heart of children.
Misty M. Middleton
Lone Grove, OK
http://estherinok.blogspot.com/

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Laura said...

Jurassic Park by Micheal Chricton
Fiction

A little over my head in some parts but such an exciting, interesting read. I love the movies too (except for the 2nd one)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:28 AM , Blogger ~Trina~ said...

A Believer's Call to Commitment-Andrew Murray

Non-fiction

A book nerd myself (ask my family, although my husband and sons love to read they are afraid that my vast book collection will be their inheritance when I leave this earth) =) My most recent favorite book is this one by Andrew Murray. After years and years of walking with the Lord, I finally grasp a truly deeper depth of what it is to surrender and depend on the Holy Spirit. I have been "almost" set free from self-effort =)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Great Divorce;
C.S. Lewis
Fiction

A unique story of a man who ends up in transistion between heaven and hell and his encounters with the others there and their ideas about what would get them into heaven. Great discussions of what does and doesn't save us. It really cemented C.S. Lewis as being one of my favorite writers.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM , Blogger deecat9 said...

A Voice in the Wind
by Francine Rivers

It is the first in a three part series and really showed me how lucky we are not to live in the heyday of the Romans! Hadassah is the main character and I want to learn to live my faith as she did in the book!!! WOW! The other books are wonderful as well!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Fiction

Since I was six years old, I just can't get enough of Anne Shirley. I love her wild imagination, love of life, and the hope that she will eventually end up with Gilbert Blythe...

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Laura said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love books, love the worlds they take you beyond yourself. One of my favorites:

The Horse and His Boy
C.S. Lewis

Fiction (children's lit)

Love it because is grand adventure and the fisherboy becomes a prince - and even a donkey of a king gets his just rewards.

Rebecca R. Walker

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Holly said...

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
Christian

Love this book! Rob Bell is such an incredible communicator. He writes and talks about God in such a powerful way.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Browns said...

Are You There God It's Me Margaret? By Judy Blume

Fiction

Loved it as a child and love it as an adult. Sometimes even in my adulthood--I feel like Margaret!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Blogger joeybelle said...

A Touch of Grace
Lauraine Snelling

Fiction

I love the simplicity of the this time period (1890's). I love that the lead character despite her limitations strives for greatest in her life. This book gives me hope!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Michele said...

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Fiction
It's a good illustration of God's love for us now matter how much we mess up.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book Title: A Year by the Sea: The Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman, Joan Anderson
Genre: Memoir
About: A women who has raised her children, worked hard, been married for 25-30 years and is at the exact middle of her life (50) decides to figure out how to spend the rest of it. She goes to the family cottage on Cape Cod and lives there for a year to figure out where her life went and where it is going.
This is one of the few books, and I have read over 100 that I have read several times.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Tawny said...

Men and Women in the Church,
Building Consensus on Christian Leadership by Dr Sarah Sumner

Nonfiction

I get so confused about a woman's place in the church. I am not a feminist but it seems like I should be able to use my gifts, if God gave them to me and all. This book was SOOOOO encouraging to me and makes the most sense of any book I have read on this subject.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Abba's Girl said...

The Screwtape Letters, C S Lewis
Christian Fiction

I read it in high school and saw people I disliked in the characters. I read it again in my mid 20's and saw myself.

It helped me grow as a Christian.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM , Blogger The Farmer's Wife said...

All Creatures Great and Small, by James Herriot

Memoir (so, non-fiction, I guess!)

Read it as a child and it made me want to be a veterinarian. My parent's nixed the career, but I read it, still, every year. It's my comfort book...when the world is too much, I retreat to barns in Yorkshire.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM , Blogger lavonda said...

I cannot pick one favorite book, so here's a random one I've really enjoyed and learned a lot from:

He Came To Set The Captives Free
by Rebecca Brown MD
(autobiographical)

It's co-written by herself (a Christian medical doctor) and a woman she befriends, Elaine (a high priestess in a Satanic cult). They share how Elaine became involved in the cult, but the bulk of the story is about Elaine getting saved, becoming a Christian, and how she got out of it. The first half of the book is their story, and the second half is about society today, our desensitization to all things not of God, and spiritual warfare for our families.

Fascinating read! Scared the mess out of me the first time I read it in my twenties (re what is out there in society that we have no clue about in our day to day lives). When I re-read it a few years ago as a more mature Christian -- whoa. Does it EVER make you realize in a palpable way just how powerful our Jesus is!

(Beth, you just described our favorite family night: Starbucks and Barnes and Nobles with the kids!) :)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Godly People Do Ungodly Things
By Beth Moore

Please don't think I'm trying to be a "Siesta Mama's Pet"...I am truly not. I just finished reading this book the day before yesterday. It really spoke alot of truth that I needed to hear.
I am a former "HAD" (if you read the book then you know what I am talking about). Even though I literally just finished the book, I want to go back and reread but with a highlighter in my hand!! I never want to be "had" by the enemy again! Beth, thank you so much for mentoring to me through this book!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Kara Akins said...

"Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala

Non-fiction. I'm a non-fiction kind of girl, haven't ever gotten into fiction. Listen to talk radio too if that tells you anything.

I loved this book because of the testimony of God working in ordinary, very needy, lives. It revealed to me how much God is drawn to weakness, how eager He is to show Himself strong to those who look to Him for help. It emphasized the power of prayer, not in a pious way but in complete utter dependence. Blown away by the power of God.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if this fits in here, but my favorite is:
Something Wicked This Way Comes
by Ray Bradbury. Fiction

The story of two young boys and a strange carnaval that comes to town. A rich illustration of the struggle between good and evil inside each of us. Unbelievable, almost poetic writing, I am struck by something new everytime I read it.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Different favorites for different seasons! But, a true classic that I give to every new bride (even this week!) and to anyone married is ... The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. (powerful book that can change your life!) I take several of these books with me on mission trips overseas, because God always leads me to someone who desperatly needs God's wisdom for their marriage. I challenge you, sweet siestas, to read and apply the truths in this book! God can grow and restore your marriage! He is soooo amazing!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Beth-I know your love for books..and LOTS of them, so I thought I would share a gadget with you, if you hadnt already heard about it. It is called the Amazon Kindle (go to amazon.com to watch a short video about it). I have the first edition (they just came out with Kindle 2)..anyway, it is so cool..it holds thousands of books and when you travel you only have your device and not 25 books to lug around with you...Check it out if you have a minute! Tammi in Houston

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Historical Fiction

One book?? sigh.
If ya'll only knew the passion I have for books...
This book is FULL of beautifully written history but I was immediately sucked into a mystery surrounded by castle's, crypts and creepiness (in a good way). I also liked the fact that I could recommend this book to my 15 year old daughter! I am fighting the urge to "write a book on my book"...

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Kristi Stewart said...

AMONG MANY OF THE ONES LISTED....

One Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury...

CHANGED MY LIFE!!! At a VERY critical time in my life God reminded me through the book to "Choose Life"! Set before you is a blessing and a curse...what are you going to choose. Every decision I make now God reminds me are you going to choose the blessing or the curse!! VERY POWERFUL!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

Fiction

This is a book from my childhood that I dearly loved. How could I not love a story of a boy and his two dogs? I think I read it about 4 times during 5th grade and I cried every time.

Dena

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Moon Rising
Pete Greig and Dave Roberts

Nonfiction

This is the story of the 24-7 Prayer Movement.
God is on the move in the midst of the younger generation in a way that really stuns me. It is about a prayer revival that is changing the world forever. I couldn't put it down - fascinating and fabulous!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deadline
Randy Alcorn
Fiction

3 men-car wreck-one goes to heaven; one goes to hell; one left on earth with eternity undecided. Great witnessing tool to give to unbelieving readers!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Captivating by: John and Staci Eldredge

This book opened my eyes to the way God loves us and it transformed my thinking in a new way!! It was amazing!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Blogger McClure ELA 8 said...

The Outsiders by SE Hinton
*Fiction

A story about a high school kid living a tough life that goes through trials that most of us couldn't fathom. I love this book because it's ultimately about finding your true self while loving the family God gave you and the family you choose.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Leslie said...

Oceans Apart
Karen Kingsbury
Fiction

As her motto states, Karen's books are "life changing fiction". This is the 1st book I read by her and the story will teach you about God's love, forgivesness, grace and redemption!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM , Blogger DigiNee said...

Of all time??? Have mercy - this book lover has HUNDREDS . . . and to narrow it down is impossible - so, just read the latest in this series so that will have to do!

Mitford BOOKS

Jan Karon

Fiction

One can just get lost in this sweet little series. It is a front porch, rocking swing, glass of sweet tea kind of experience - and for those who do not live where you can do that sort of thing - the back patio works just fine!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Bev said...

Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality by Donald Miller

Autobiographical

Any time anyone asks me for a book recommendation I send them to this book. On page 54 of the book Donald talks about this folk singer that told a story about a Navy Seal that went above and beyond the duty to save a group of hostages. Just thinking about it makes me cry.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to respond because I feel kind of stupid but honestly my favorite book of all time is...
Are you there God, it is me Margaret by Judy Blume

I read this book when I was in the 4th grade and it opened my world to truly being good at something - reading! I have a true dysfunctional family and we werent encouraged and guided as children. I took this book and absolutely wore the pages out! Margaret had a journal(I did too) Margaret talked to God (I did too -in private) and Margaret got her period! (no one had ever talked to me about that before!)
This book began my love affair with escaping life through books. Reading that life could be different carried me through until Christ tapped my shoulder in my late 20's!
There - it is out - my secret favorite book!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Becky said...

When Heaven Invades Earth by Bill Johnson

Knock Your Socks off Good!

Totally wrecked my idea about living life on Earth!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister's Ink by Rebecca Sietz
Christian Fiction

I loved this book because it combined a love story (in which the main character & I have the same career) and the love of scrapbooking (which I love as well).

Teri, Alabama

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM , Blogger He gave me running said...

Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers
Fiction - Christian - Romance
I COULD NOT put it down. LOVED the California Gold Rush setting!
I agree with Amy Grant,
"The truth that ran through that story [Redeeming Love] absolutely took me to my knees. And I was a changed person when I finished reading that book. "

I was changed forever...

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Diana said...

Beth,
Thank you for this post! Can I totally thank you here for your part in the "Focus on Marriage" Simulcast this weekend?!!!!! You were AWESOME!!! I love you so much dear big sister in Christ! I love your humility, your honesty and your realness!! You touched so many! I have participated in and had the pleasure of leading so many of your studies and you are so consistently a reall woman in Christ! I just love you for it!!! At my site, you had us both laughing and crying during your session!! I thank God for you!

Favorite book......
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
I have read this book at least 4 times and love it every time.
I am a born and raised Yankee in Wisconsin and have always loved the south, this book (and the movie) have instilled a passion and fascination with our nation's history that will never be quenched.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Bobbie said...

Gardenias for Breakfast
by Robin Jones Gunn

Fiction

A story of a Mother and her soon-to-be 13 yr. old daughter who travel back to the place where the mom grew up.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM , Blogger B.D.Riehl said...

Mark of the Lion Series, Francine Rivers: especially An Echo in the Darkness
Fiction
Such a picture of man's frailty, God's miraculous, all-loving self and what God can do when we ignore fear, pride and our flesh and just OBEY! Awesome book!!!!! I read this series a few times a year!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Cheryl Barker said...

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Fiction

I read this book when I was in high school and saw the movie soon after. I was so pulled into the story -- lived it with the characters and didn't want it to end. It impacted me emotionally. Gosh, now I need to go read it again! :)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Hobbit
fiction

It is my favorite book EVER to read out loud. and I don't care how young the audience is, if they can follow a basic conversation I can read this book to them. My uncle Bill got us started on this when I was in 3rd grade and I've never stopped since. My whole family loves reading out loud. and please let me come on a date with you and Keith. you guys KNOW how to have fun. books books books coffee and books!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore.
Non-fiction
One of the most moving and inspirational books I've EVER read...and I'm a bookaholic (sp?)! Awesome story about love, faith, forgiveness and just how great our God is.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Blogger JottinMama said...

1) Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

2)An "allagory dramatization" - fiction

3)I have never read a book like this! It just totally reached out and grabbed me. I relate to the main character, Much Afraid, in so many ways. For me, this book was life-changing. The tenderness of our Lord in the story is just awesome!

Beth, thanks for doing this! Cool idea!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Mary H. said...

MISS JULIA SPEAKS HER MIND
By: Ann B. Ross
Fiction

It made me laugh so hard that I cried. The book has lots of irony and pokes fun at religious pretense. This book is the first of the Mrs. Julia series. The tenth book comes out in April. I can't wait!!!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Inksstillwet said...

•31 Days of Praise by Ruth and Warren Myers
•Devotional
•To see life with a grateful heart.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Teresa said...

Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers
Fiction

This is a retelling of the book Hosea. It is about a woman running hard and fast from God, but God never gives up. It is a fabulous reminder of the unconditional love God has for us!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On A Hill Too Far Away John Fischer
It brings the CROSS back to the center of life.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM , Blogger ~Trina~ said...

A Believer's Call to Commitment-Andrew Murray

Non-fiction

A book nerd myself (ask my family, although my husband and sons love to read they are afraid that my vast book collection will be their inheritance when I leave this earth) =) My most recent favorite book is this one by Andrew Murray. After years and years of walking with the Lord, I finally grasp a truly deeper depth of what it is to surrender and depend on the Holy Spirit. I have been "almost" set free from self-effort =)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Hobbit
fiction

Love this book. Was introduced to me in 3rd grade by my Uncle Bill who read it out loud to us that summer. My whole family has never stopped reading since then. Am convinced the Hobbit was meant to be read out loud. Which is my favorite way of introducing it to folks.
Also can I come on a date with you and Keith? you two know how to have fun. books, books, books, coffee and more books!
Deirdre

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Micheledidasko said...

Treatise on the Incarnation of the Word of God, by Athanasius (1946 Translation by Penelope Lawson)

non-fiction, Christology

It is like 'Cliff Notes' for the Bible - about why Jesus came. Athanasius was a Patristic church father who contributed greatly to developing doctrine during an era of persecution.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Leah said...

The Chronicles of Narnia by
C.S. Lewis

The Chronicles have been my favorites since I was a little girl - I never get sick of reading them! I can't wait to read them to my little girls. God spoke to me thru them so much when I was little!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM , Blogger Melinda said...

I was reading through these and, in addition to the one I submitted, I keep saying "Oh, me too! I loved that one, too! YES - that was a GREAT book!"

Picking just one has an the similar feel of the old Lay's potato chip commercial. Sigh.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:54 AM , Blogger PinkBoots said...

Vienna Prelude by Bodie & Brock Thoene (Zion Covenant series)

Historical fiction

The authors are Christians. Their writing is phenomonally captivating, I could envision every scene, smell each element, and it’s so well researched that I finally learned about World War II in a way I’ll never forget. They have wrapped true situations around fictional characters in an orchestra woven with romance, tragedy…I cried, I laughed, I went through a roller coaster of emotions and couldn’t wait to move onto the next in the series!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Divine Romance
Gene Edwards

nonfiction

It awakened my heart to how much God loves us in a way I didn't understand before I read it. It also introduced me to the writing of Gene Edwards, and now I love reading anything he has written.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Simply Sara said...

God on Mute
By Pete Greig
Non- Fiction

Absolutely the best book on un-answered prayer!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM , Blogger missyg said...

The Scarlet Pimpernel
Baroness Emmunska Orczy
Adventure Novel/Romance

Intrigue with a happy ending...
Truth making all things right...
How much better can you get?

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Laurie Holt Tomascik said...

"Prayer"
Phil Yancey

I read it a few years ago and have re-read it since. Prayer has always been so hard for me, a struggle to comprehend a God who loves me and hangs on my every word. Communicating with our Creator is more important than our next breath. He cannot change, His love for me is incomprehensible, and He is not a man that He should lie.
Laurie Tomascik
Richmond, ME

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

~Steal a Pencil for Me (Jaap Polak and Ina Soep)
~History/Biography/holocaust
~This book is a series of love letters written through the holocaust by two people living in concentration camps. Even through such a horrible experience love still abounds. On a more person note, my Grandfather helped liberate one of the camps mentioned in the book.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:56 AM , Blogger Heidi Winter Tracht said...

The Christy Miller Series
by Robin Jones Gunn
fiction

Even though I am a 38 year old married women with 2 sons, I love this series for teen girls because it focuses upon Godly priorities in such real, emotion-filled ways. At the same time, it positively influenced my focus on pursuing God in all things. A simply fun read....

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Knight in Shining Armor
by Jude Deveraux
Fiction

Just like the title states, it's about a knight in England who comes to the present to help a woman and she also goes back in time to his era. A really wonderful read.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

The Christian In Complete Armour Vol.1
William Gurnall
Non-fiction
Nuggets in every other line of this one! Takes a while to read because of reading a sentence then reading the scripture reference. Life changing!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Laura_Primus said...

3:16 by Max Lucado
Nonfiction
Gave me a wonderful new insight into John 3:16. Mr. Lucado broke it down into something like 12 chapters - almost word by word. I could barely put it down.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shack
Fiction

It was the kind of book that I would have NEVER read if I had known anything about it ahead of time. I heard that it was good and sort of read it blindly and was quickly captivated. I could not put it down! It is very controversial, but it is full of God's truth and made me take a close look at how I view the Trinity. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone because it could be very confusing for someone not fully grounded in what God's Word says about the Trinity.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hinds' Feet On High Places-Hannah Hurnard

Allegory (Fiction)

Best $10 I ever spent, this book. It helped me unpack my struggles with why God allows us such pain and suffering along this road... It's beautiful. An easy read, but so much wisdom and the end is amazing.

 
At March 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Laura Frantz said...

The Frontiersman's Daughter
Laura Frantz

Historical Fiction

This book is being released August of this year. It is God's gift to me! He planted a dream in the heart of a little Kentucky girl to write books and then when she'd grown up and almost given up, He made that dream come true! Thank you, Jesus!

 
At March 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some Wildflower in My Heart
Jamie Langston Turner
It is a beautiful, moving, heart-breaking but ultimately uplifting story by one of the best Christian authors.

 

<< Home