Fruit Dipped in Dark Chocolate
Yesterday a really nice dude delivered the most beautiful red box to my door (looked like new shoes, was hoping it was new shoes) with the words "Edible Arrangements" on the outside of the card. The inside had a fun note from Travis and Angela saying how happy they were that I was coming to the taping of his new worship CD this weekend. I can hardly wait. I am so anxious to get back with my team and I also get to see my baby girl - and, by the way, Georgia Jan! I opened the box to behold the most beautiful array of big, fat strawberries and quarters of green apples you've ever seen and each dipped (maybe even double-dipped) in dark chocolate.
It's sort of a joke between us. You see, I hate fruit. I don't know why. I just never developed a taste for it. For one thing, it was expensive to buy for a family of eight and my family growing up not only didn't have an extra dime. We could have used somebody else's. We mostly ate Twinkies and Ding Dongs because they came in a family pack. I think I started the chocolate-covered fruit thing with the Cottrells several years ago when I sent a package for Travis's birthday. I thought it kinda cleverly described our two families. They love fruit. We love chocolate.
Anyway, the only reason Travis Cottrell eats remotely healthy is because of his wife. I have long said that the greatest proof of God's love for Travis beyond his salvation is Angela Cottrell. She is Wonder Woman. Years ago when she may have been at the summit of her culinary health-consciousness, I got to stay in their very sanguine home. Jackson, their oldest (middle schooler now, and, yes, where we came to love that name), was really young. Maybe five. Levi wasn't even a twinkle in his parents' eye yet. Jack and I were sitting in our pj's at their breakfast table and Angela announced, "Beth, since we have company this morning, I'll fix pancakes!" I was elated. I adore Angela Cottrell and would eat anything just to sit at the same table with her. She is one of my favorite women in the world to muse over God's Word with. But, we weren't having Bible study that morning. We were having breakfast. And, to be honest, I'd anticipated that we might have something like granola and soy milk and we'd chug it down with barley green. (I've witnessed this very phenomenon at their house a number of times.) I think I've told you somewhere along the way that I was raised on Jimmy Dean sausage, burned to a crisp, and cheap canned biscuits for breakfast. (Still love it. Had that very fare within last 48 hours.) Pancakes. I couldn't have been happier. Then out came the whole wheat flour from the cupboard. Hope deferred.
Oh, but the company was good. Jack and I talked a million miles an hour. When he was little, he thought my first name was "Bethmoore." He called me the whole thing like it was just one word. It was terribly endearing and made me smile every time he said it. (I still love Jack. He was my handsome, very polite and engaging date to a wedding in Nashville not very long ago.) We talked it up while Angela flipped whole wheat pancakes and I got hungrier and hungrier. Finally, she put a plate down right in front of me, stacked three-high. They looked a little odd. Kinda like someone had spilled the Quaker Oats in the frying pan and she forgot to wash it before she poured the batter. I was raised with too many manners not to eat what my host set in front of me and, anyway, my stomach was growling so loud that their wiener dog was practically growling back. I took my first bite.
And they were incredible. I couldn't believe it. Listen, this is a woman who feels pious when she eats wheat bread and if I drink a bottle of water, I tell everyone all day long that I did. They don't care but I tell them anyway. I mean, stinking incredible. My plate was empty long before Jack's pancakes were even on the table. I looked at him while I was eating them and said, "Jack, these pancakes will change your life."
"No, they won't."
"Yes, Jack, they really will. I've never tasted a pancake this good. Your mother is the best cook in the whole wide world. I'm serious. These pancakes will change your life."
"No, they won't, Bethmoore."
"Yes, Jack Cottrell, they really will. They will change your life."
About the time I swallowed my last bite, Travis hollered at me from the other room and told me that if I didn't get with it, we were going to be late. (Don't even remember now where we were going. I think I had a flight home.) I hopped up, thanked Angela, probably kissed Jackson on the head and shot upstairs before he even got his pancakes. Angela said the kitchen was silent for a couple of seconds. Then that precocious boy said, "Bethmoore makes me hungry." We've howled about it ever since.
I know that's random. I don't even know why I wrote it. I think because I have HONESTLY eaten more fruit in the last 12 hours than I have ever eaten in my life. And I feel high. Do you think it was the fruit?
Or the chocolate?
Gotta go. Sausage and biscuits almost done.
I love y'all today.

317 Comments:
That. Is. HILARIOUS.
I love YOU, Bethmoore. :)
It was both fruit and chocolate, but I think it really was the Spirti anticipating such praises of His people tonight - such a party! By the way....Bethmoore makes me hungry, too - hungry for Him. HAVE A BLAST, BLAST, BLAST!
Thought you would appreciate that as I read the part about Levi not yet being a twinkle in his parents' eyes I had to read it about three times because each time I read it as, "Twinkie." I'm with you on the fruit sister. Chocolate-covered strawberries are the only way I'll eat 'em!
I have a magnet on my frig that says, "Inside me there's a thin person screaming to get out - but I keep her sedated with chocolate!"
Blessings - Lisa
I think it's the chocolate
Bethmoore, I don't think it was a random thing - "Bethmoore makes me hungry".
I think you make many, many women hungry for GOD'S word to overtake their own lives!
Wish I had your energy this morning! Alas, no chocolate here. My pastor's wife and new best buddy (one and the same) is doing Weight Watchers with me. She is self control ....I am not...I need help.
Fruit of the Spirit, dipped in chocolate...would that teach?
Love you and praying for you, Bethmoore :-)
Terishrader
Bethmoore makes me hungry for God's Word! I think you've got that effect on quite a few people :)
Great story and everything tastes better dipped in dark chocolate! Yummy!
Bethmoore:
We love you and as a woman isn't just about anything better with chocolate smeared on it... I mean to tell you... I am not a raisen fan at all...but you dip it into chocolate and I can eat me some raisens...
And yes you are making me hungry just listening to that story... I could just see that young man arguing with you about pancakes, because that's what little ones do.. and sometimes we just think it is down right cute..
You have made my morning... thanks for the story.
Lots of love to you!
Lichelle
that's awesome! "Bethmoore makes me hungry!" hehehe I love little boys. They say the funniest things! I suppose little girls do to, but I wouldn't really know....
I just cracked up about the wheat pancake story because I knew EXACTLY where that was going. My husband grew up in Austin and had a good friend growing up who ate only wholegrains, etc. He said he was traumatized the first time he ate pancakes at their house and took a bit and realized they were NOT buttermilk! He loves the whole wheat pancakes now, but I think he cringes just a bit when I pull out the box!
I think chocolate dipped is the best way to eat fruit.....but then I would probably eat chocolate dipped potato chips, too.
Oh, my word. You eat chocolate and sausage instead of fruit, and drinking a bottle of water provides you with a conversation-starter? So here's what I want to know, girlfriend, are you ever going to fill us in on your exercise program? I'm thinking I could use the ideas.
Meanwhile, I rejoice this morning in they lyrics of a song I used to use in my children's church class:
God made my hipbones,
God made my chin,
God made the shape
That I am in!
Anne
These are the stories that make us feel like part of the family. Keep on sharing them.
Dude, great story :O) I can totally relate to it in many ways. I grew up much the same with that jimmy dean sausage and cheap biscuits. It trips me out now that they have different flavors of the sausage now...maple and the like...it feels wrong when I cheat on the original.
Supposedly, i developed my dislike for fruits and vegetables early on from their lack of availability too & I've just never really gotten the taste for them back yet. Though as I've matured I have a few that I have put in my arsenal that I can eat with a straight face (these are the ones I pray for when I have to go to a dinner hosted by someone I've never met) I think you can relate :O) I guess what we eat when we are young really does change us!
Anyway, "Bethmoore" has sufficiently made me starving today too. Even though I just had a bowl of fruity pebbles :O) (got to get my vitamins in too you know) - I think that I must go to my kitchen and make me some sausage and biscuits! The blessing is now I get to eat grand biscuits -you know those butter tastin biscuits - mmmmmm mmmmm now that with some jimmy dean makes it worth being alive :O) hahaha.
OH, and PS -I've had that fruit high b/4 too. One time a friend introduced me to green apples and honey. I thought it was the best thing in the world and ate myself sick - but all the sugar lifted me higher than a whole box of twinkies (which now I have to go out and buy today b/c you have put a craving on me :O)
Have a great day! And hello to all the other siestas who can relate.
love you,too, Bethmoore
btw, I started Esther this past Wednesday. The room was packed out for this study! I love what you said about "hope" "Hope" is my very favorite word. This is going to be an awesome study!
I'm laughing out loud! You're hilarious! "And I feel high." hahahaha! Can't wait 'til Sunday!
Your stories brighten my day. And make me hungry. If you read this, please know that things are going well as we started your Ester study here in Henrietta, Texas. Small, but powerful group of ladies. Thank you for being you.
What a fun story and a great family. And I had no idea Jack was short for Jackson! Enjoy your time with everybody this weekend!! Wish I could be at the concert, but am praying for all of you that are!
Love and prayers,
Kelli
Bethmoore,
I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate your random.
Thanks for sharing the memory,
Bethturner
I'm not the best fruit eater either...but I do like it....I'm just not good and buying it. I somehow choose the ho-ho's over fruit! :o)
Beth, my church just started up their winter/spring semester of studies and I'm taking the Esther study. Our first night was Wed...the day after the inauguration (sp?). Let me tell you, I was amazed by God...at His powerful timing. To see you standing in front of the White House during the intros/outros and then having the Oval Office as a background....all the while as we as a Nation and a church, experiencing the first day with a brand new president! One of the first things you said was "Are you ready for something new?" Our room of ladies just marveled at how fitting it was you asked us that knowing what took place the day before. It seemed to me when I signed up for this study that our church was beginning it's new semester much later than it normally does. Seems we usually begin shortly after winter break, but I thought to myself, how cool is God to wait for this to be timed "just right" and just when we need it! Thought you might get a kick out of "irony" of the timing. God is SO good all the time and all the time God is good!
Have a blessed day!
Stephanie (Joplin, MO)
P.S. I'm loving Esther already and I'm only on day two!
Oh, you had me laughing so hard, Bethmoore! I think I could eat just about anything dipped in chocolate (the darker the better.)
I just want to thank you for all the laughter, ENCOURAGEMENT, and wisdom the Lord has given me through you. More times than I could possibly count. You are a mentor to me and the person I would most like to meet and have coffee with (or Jimmy Dean sausage and biscuits.) God's richest blessings on you today!
Christy
Beth, (or can I call you Bethmoore?)
I LOVE your totally random stories. You can tell a story like no other, and you always make me smile.
Thanks!
Amy
Maybe your high came from another fruit of the spirit: chocolate on strawberries from a brother and sister you love. You're our fruit, too, Beth, whether you're covered in chocolate (colors) or not!
Bethmoore; that's funny. At my house, you're just Beth. My family knows when I say that name, it only means you and they'd better just sit down because Momma is about to start teachin 'em something Beth has taught her. It usually happens on Wed. afternoons :)
I love to hear random stories. You made my day. Have a marvelous weekend!
Beth,
Do you think Angela will give us her recipe for the whole wheat pancakes? I tried buckwheat pancakes one time and me and my husband got up from the table and headed straight to Cracker Barrel to get some real pancakes not the ones that taste like dirt(at least mine did)! LOL
Love,
Crissy T.
Nashville, TN
I enjoyed the story. Reminded me of the importance of healthy eating and the fun of when we don't. I was inspired by the story of Angela. Thanks for sharing.
LOVE IT! Food of all kinds is my favorite and I must admit that I eat a lot of healthy stuff too!
Beth,
I hope you have a wonderful time with the Cottrell gang and Melissa. I will be praying for your travel safety and for the worship team as they record. Enjoy your sausage biscuits. BTW, Cracker Barrel has these new breakfast skillets that are scrumptuous.
Donna
Oh precious! Thanks for sharing that story! It made my whole day! I have 2 boys so I can totally relate! :)
Hey Beth. I'll be at the taping, too and I can't wait! Some of my friends get to meet YOU and Travis before the show, I'm so jealous! :) I'm going to give them my Bible for you to sign, if you don't mind. I'd love to meet you and just sit down and tell you how much you mean to me. Your teaching and testimony have helped me so much. God has really used you to make me the person in Him that I am today. Thanks for all that you do!
Shawn, Georgia
Thank you bethmoore - we love your stories. This one is a great way to start my day.
This is why I love you!
JLS
What a funny story! Looking forward to seeing you in Woodstock on Sunday. I'm coming with several ladies from my church and we can't wait. I wrote on Travis' wall on Facebook and asked him to sing "You Changed My Name" -- I absolutely love to hear him sing that song. I'm looking forward to a wonderful night of worship on Sunday. Safe travels and much love.
Bethmoore makes me smile.
seriously funny................Gosh you crack me up. I love fruit and chocolate and the 2 together even more awesome. I met Angela when she come to Boone NC and sang with Travis. Seems like a very neat lady. God knows exactly who we are marrying and knew for you and Travis. For me he gave me a guy who can cook, I'm hopeless in the kitchen. I might have starved to death without my hubby.
I'm so excited about Travis' new worship CD,more music for my MP3 player.
Have fun and keep eating fruit it's good for you just like the wheat pancakes. In our house hold my hubby can make anything taste good as well.
Love ya
Blessings -- Prayer Warrior
Sarah
I tell ya, Beth Moore, you make me laugh more than you'll ever know. I've led your Bible Studies in my little (well, not-so-little now) Baptist for more than 10 years. I've followed this blog for the last few months. Sometimes I even post (like for the memory verse thing or the prayer for Obama). But this is the first time I've ever posted just because of the joy and laughter your stories bring to me! Thank YOU, God, for the gift of laughter. LOVE IT!
You are absolutely hysterical, Bethmoore. lol
Random is best--Love ya Beth!!
PS Dark chocolate is the only way!!
oh, beth -
you are are such a hoot !! i love checking the website everyday to see what's happening with the moore family !! makes me smile !!
thanks for sharing!!
blessing to you and the cottrell's this day.
patti
hahaha that is the funniest story, I'm at work and laughed out loud. I'm sure everyone thinks I'm crazy but it was worth it.
Bethmoore makes me hungry too!
Hungry for the WORD OF GOD!!!
Those pancakes changed your life...
And you, MY DEAR, have made an eternal difference in mine!!
Thanks for the great big smile!!
I love you, bethmoore!!!
That is the funniest story! And can I just say that I am beyond excited that I am going to get to see you and Travis this Sunday! I have never been more proud to live in Georgia than I am today.
We (me and the ladies at my church) just love you. We just finished up the Daniel study and this Wednesday we are beginning Esther. Daniel totally changed my thinking. I couldn't even buy after Christmas ornaments because I just knew they were excessive. (It's funny but true!) Thank you for allowing God to use you and to speak through you.
Laurie
Fun story. Have a great weekend and a blessed Sabbath.
You know, if Travis sent pancakes or chocolate covered fruit to my hubs, then he MIGHT decide to suck it up and take me to Atlanta this weekend. Just kidding. I think he'd be more likely to appreciate Bethmoore food...he, too, grew up on cheap canned biscuits and Jimmy Dean! :) I SOOOOOO wanna be there...we're only about 4 hours away (just far enough that I really will need a hotel room), and I can't find anyone who is able to make the trip with me yet...I'm keeping my weekend free and still believing for a last-minute miracle, though. :)
That was so fun. I think I need to go hunt down a chocolate covered strawberry.
And I can't wait for Travis's new CD. I guess I better check his web site and get the scoop on it.
Have a good day, Bethmoore.
Beth,
You are just too funny! Went to church last night for the third week of Esther and can I tell you how wonderful it was. I did not know that meaness had a history. You spoke directly to issues I face daily at work. I am thrilled to know that we don't have to stagger along suffering the way we do. God's Word has all the answers and pray I will come to love it more and more. Thank you for being faithful to your gift. I just love you!
Love, Kathie
This made me laugh this morning! Have a fantastic day and weekend Bethmoore!
Bethmoore just made me hungry, too! Is there any better way to eat fruit than covered in chocolate? Have a terrific weekend!
You're a hoot :). Love you, Bethmoore!
Linda in MN
I loved this story! I was brought up on the same kind of food you were, probably because I was one of 7 kids!
Have a great weekend!
Love you,
Angie xoxo
Ohhh - Edible Arrangements - I've heard they are good but have never had the pleasure. Maybe God is telling you He wants you to eat more chocolate covered fruit?! After all fruit is fruit no matter the package. (I personally prefer it packaged in a jellyroll though)
Thanks for sharing - and - I'm with you on the biscuits and gravy. ;)
God Bless you day
Kelli in Colorado
This post made me giggle bethmoore. :D
We are heading to ATL tomorrow for Travis' recording and we can't wait!!
so fun! thanks for sharing!! I am so bummed not to be there with ya'll but am soooo looking forward to the CD! Love you!
Beth,
I love this story! I heard it at one of your Living Proof Live events when I lived in the midwest. I think it was in Ohio or Kentucky when you were there a few years ago. I'v never forgotten it and still makes me smile. Especially since I am sitting at my desk right now eating a chocolate frosted donut with the cutest while sprinkles from donkin donuts that look like snowflakes with my coffee. But, I did have oatmeal bread toast for breakfast. So that makes me a little healthy, right? Ahhhh to be even a little like Angela with her health conscious cooking! Thank you for the fun stories you always give to us.
Much Love,
Amy from MA
Thanks for the laugh Beth! :D
What a great story.... I've seriously never heard of someone not liking fruit! I'm gonna have to take a minute and absorb that.
Have a safe trip - I hope to be there along with many of the siestas.
Much love,
Adrienne
Love you too Bethmoore...I so, so do!
I love this story!
The Journey Continues ~
Bethmoore, LOL
Always enjoy your stories, tidbits, and sharing!
I giggled when I read the following
"You see, I hate fruit. I don't know why. I just never developed a taste for it."
:)
Well, I have been ill for the past couple of days and my husband brought me some tangerines for the vitamin c, water bottles beside the bed, green tea,and inbetween this healthy stuff ~ I was eating dark chocolate. I had dark chocolate almonds ~ Don't Tell him though!!!! :)
Hey chocolate is from a bean right??? so I am getting my legumes and then almonds are a nut. Healthy!!!
Have a wonderful weekend and how sweet of Georgia Jan to send fruit~ she can send me some!
I love ding dongs too. I used to get them in my MARY POPPINS LUNCHBOX as a little girl going to school. I was well known by friends because I loved to share!
When I was newly married, my ob/gyn informed me that I would have to stay off chocolate ~
I didn't have ANY chocolate for over 15 years. YES, it is true!!
But then, I changed doctors and am having dark chocolate once again!! Oh my, Oh my... there is truly a difference between carob and real chocolate!
THANK YOU LORD FOR CHOCOLATE!
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina
http://www.kimsafinathejourneycontinues.blogspot.com
You're so much fun--chocolate always makes everything taste better! It sounds like you and I had the same eating habits as kids, except that the Hostess Chocolate cupcakes with the white squiggle was my favorite and of course, being from Texas..a Dr. Pepper!
My man & I went to see "Seven Pounds" last night. It had been moved to the smallest theater in the 16 screen theater. 70 seats--Yes, we counted because I tho't what a great place to do a Beth Moore study!!!! Giant screen, great sound...!!! Ok, I've only done them at home so I think outside of the box.
BTW, I think my family thinks your name is "Bethmoore" also!
Gig'em & God Bless, Bobbie
Oh what a great story. Especially as I'm just about to finish my son's "Quintuple chocolate" birthday cake. (And I was already planning to make pancakes-whole wheat-for four 10 year old boys tomorrow morning. I was hoping maybe staying up at a sleepover would make them not notice too much. =) )
Nancy
Indiana
I love this post because I try desperately to make healthy pancakes and fail everytime. It is good to know that it is possible.
The Journey Continues ~
#2
Hey, I saw Amanda on blog.
We would love an update on the baby and Jackson!!
Also, thank Curtis for the MAN information ~
We love you Beth, Amanda, Melissa
Go eat some chocolate on your pancakes and put some mocha in your coffee... :)
With "Heaven Bound" blessings,
Kim Safina
Beth, you crack me up! I love stories like that! Thank you for being so real with us. And I agree with others...Bethmoore you make me hungry for God's word! You make it come alive. God has truly annointed you for this ministry. I pray for His continued guidance and direction in your life....for I know you want it no other way! Have a great weekend and enjoy the chocolate dipped fruit!
Bethmoore makes me hungry for God's word!!
There are people in the world who would choose fruit instead of chocolate? On purpose?
I'll be praying for them...
What a precious story! Thank you for a glimpse into your everyday life!
You make me hungry too...for God's word!!
Is is O.K. that all through the precious story all I was thinking was, "Man, what I wouldn't give to be at that taping this weekend?!"
Can't wait for a new CD!
We love you too, Mama Beth!
And please dunk your canned biscuits in your coffee. It will change your life. My dearly departed Meme always said so. And she's no liar. :)
You bless my soul with your precious and funny stories. I needed that lift this morning and I can always count on getting that when I visit this blog. Thank you so much for sharing with us. When you've grown up in insanity, these stories help give a new perspective to what "normal" looks like. So much laughter. A balm to my wounded heart.
Oh, Bethmoore!
You're just too funny. I received one of those yummy edible fruit arrangements myself recently. I didn't realize you could put on pounds from FRUIT...
And I'm convinced that that piece of fruit Eve was tempted with was drenched in chocolate. And maybe caramel.
I have to ask: You certainly don't appear to love junk food. What do you do??? Run? Walk? Weights?
I know you're really my sister when you say things like " these pancakes will change your life". hee hee
We love you too, today and every day!
I love story time with you! You crack me up! You do make us hungry for more of Him. May He bless you richly our sweet Siesta Mama!
WE LOVE YOU!
I love how you share your life with us. And that Christians can have fun, be nutty and full of Chocolate. (I personally love fruit!) Beth, your sanguiness is a blessing. It keeps reminding this Melancholy to get with it and quite being so hard on herself and everyone else for that fact. It makes me wonder what personality do you think Christ was on this earth? Just a random thought!
Bethmoore, you are making me ravenous!!
Off to find some fruit, chocolate and sausage....
Too funny, Bethmoore!! Thank you for the honesty on what you really eat. But really how do you stay so thin!!! Not fair, God gave ya the looks, the brains and the thin body. He needs to remember to share this some of us too. Anyhow, loved the story. I have some of my friends kids that are just as precious as my own. Miss the little buggers.
Oh my, it is good to know that I have a Siesta out there that just rambles great stories. I can't tell you how many loved ones say to me, "what does that have to do with anything?" I am also use to saying in the midst of a conversation, "I am not sure why I just told you that, but I am glad you listened."
Have a great weekend.
love,
kim
I do beleive we might have the same food history...not much fruit in my background either...unless you count the coconut cake (with fresh coconut) my mom cooked every Christmas. Coconut is a fruit isn't it?
Thanks for making me smile...and I am so looking forward to seeing you & Travis this weekend. My sweet hubby is bringing me.
You honestly have the best stories. I love every last one of them. Only you, Beth, can take any circumstance or exchange and make it ridiculously fun and funny.
Love you~
Elaine in TX
Cute story! I love me some Jimmy Dean sausage - the only kind I'll buy. =) This is the 2nd time this week I've read about sausage and biscuits. I think that will be on the menu for next week! With a side of gravy if you please!!
Bethmoore makes me hungry, too--for the Word and my Jesus. Thank you, dear Beth! Praying for your journey and ALL the fun you are going to have!!!! Praying for that high to stay with you in the Name of Jesus.
Love,
Holly
Oh my goodness.
I was raised in the Lone Star State and you know what we ate every Sunday morning for breakfast? You guessed it.....
Jimmy Dean Sausage - burnt to a crisp and canned biscuits - sometimes with white gravy. LOL. I still love it, too :) I'm pregnant - and I request it very often :)
This post was hilarious! Thanks for sharing! Have a beautiful weekend!
Big Texas-Sized Hugs,
Kate :)
jack is a hoot...he always tries to get me to give him extra dessert when the parentals are away :)
mama beth i had to tell you i was in new orleans with my singer friend melissa greene (she sings with avalon) last weekend and she was a part of the sunday services at franklin avenue baptist! the pastor's wife, mrs. luter, took us to lunch and started talking about you and travis. she was so proud to remember that it was at their church that you had a revelation that you indeed were supposed to have been born black. :) haha we laughed and laughed about that...they really love you. :)
hate i can't make it to georgia this weekend...hug that kathy cottrell younce for me! love you friend!
Bethmoore, Because you look as though you have eaten healthy all your life,just goes to show you, Jimmy Dean sausage and canned biscuits can't be all bad :) Thanks for sharing!
Hey, sweet Beth,
It must be the chocolate!
As I read your post my mind was transported back four years ago while on a mission trip in Brazil. It was my joy and delight to be invited to one of our translator's home for Sunday lunch. The Calvalcanche family was poor and I could tell they went all out to present the best they could possibly serve. They had Coca-lite (diet Coke)and dessert was neopolitan ice cream. For the meal we had feijoada. Feijoada, Brazil's national dish, combines black beans, dried beef, and pork.
Claudia, the hostess, said she would like to serve me so I would be sure to get all the best pieces of meat. The pork in this case was pig ears and pig tails and a little of what we would consider to be ham. When she put the plate in front of me I smiled and stared for a few seconds wondering "what in the world?"...there was a moment of silence as the family wondered what I was going to do. What could I do? There was only one choice. Later that afternoon when we returned to the church Jeff Deasy,our missionary, took me aside and asked me what we had for lunch. When I told him we had feijoada he grinned real big and asked "what did you do?" I said, "I ate it."
You are too stinkin funny! I love fruit, but am not a great eater. I am a dietitian, so that is somewhat ironic. I want to eat good, but with 3 very small children and working part-time, it's usually whatever is quick and convenient. I only weigh 97 pounds, so most people ASSUME I eat great, but not so much! Keep the funy stories coming - it brightens my day!
I wonder if Angela would share her recipe?
We just had some whole wheat pancakes a couple of weeks ago and they were so delicious, our friend's shared this recipe with us: http://whatwouldmarthacook.blogspot.com/2009/01/southern-style-whole-grain-pancakes.html
I wonder how close it is?
Love you, Bethmoore!
I needed a laugh and a break this morning. Doing some last minute studying for a final in my first class at seminary. (Getting my MA in OT biblical studies and LOVING IT!)
Back to forms of wisdom literature, views of God in the book of Job, and critiques of Deuteronomistic history in the books of Joshua and Judges.
So wish I could see you this weekend (and Georgia Jan too--love her!) in Atlanta. But I have school. And my baby girl is turning 8. And there's no way I'm missing that.
Have so much fun together and hug everyone!
Lots of love,
Joanne
P.S. Have to say I already knew about the Psalms of Ascent thanks to Stepping Up!
With every story you tell, I am SO drawn into it. It was like I was sitting at the table with you and Jackson. You are a fantabulous writer. I am so glad that you chose to do as God wanted for your life....it has changed mine!!! Your bible studies are my FAVORITE.
U R So funny! I am into the wheat thing. The easiest way I have found to lose weight: wheat bread, brown rice, all that good stuff that doesn't turn into sugar. It works! I don't like fruit either other than apples. Thanks for the laugh. I always love your stories. You are a hoot!
Bethmoore makes ME hungry too!!!! I'm SO pumped about this weekend! We'll be in Woodstock!!! Can I sit next to you? :)
And we love you too, Bethmoore. Cute story, we could all benefit from healthier eating! I must tell you we had the 3rd night of Esther last night. It was absolutely amazing. All 30 of us ladies shouted amen and amen about the clothing modesty issue and we range in ages 18 through 80. We are loving, loving, loving Esther and studying God's word together with you. In every prayer we thank God for inspiring you to write these studies and ask Him to bless your life abundantly.
I just plain love that story.
It made me remember the time my little girl was four and asked me,
"Mommy, how long have you and Beff Mooorree been best friends?"
My answer, "since the first Bible Study I did when you were in my tummy, baby!"
Dearest Beth,
I think these posts are my most favorite! It makes me feel like we are sitting together with hot (strong) cups of coffee just chatting away like girlfriends do! Thanks for making my Friday!
I love you!
Donna (the mom of twin boys)
Beth,
You are too much!! HA!! :)
I love you,
Sharon
bethmoore, you are a HOOT.
I will be standing in line and praying for the Spirit of the Almighty to all but knock that building over on Sunday. We want a FLOOD of God's love and blessings on us all, but especially on you folks that will be up on stage. Trav, the band, the choir and you sweet fruit-fearing lady.
how on earth do you stay so thin on twinkies and hohos?????
Is Georgia Jan - the baby's name? I didn't know who you were talking about. You are too much, unbelievable that you can eat Jimmy Dean and all that and look the way you do.
UNFAIR!! But I love you anyway.
Blessings in Him,
Siesta OC
Absolutely no question about it......has to be the CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!! Love to you!
Blessings,
Ginger
Well, I guess you realize that our formerly "Mama Siesta" just became "Bethmoore" from now on! :)
Blessings
Michelle
I love you too Bethmoore!
Bethmoore has made a whole generation of women hungry! The way you talk about God's Word makes it sweeter than honey (or maybe even dark chocolate)!
It is a banqueting table, isn't it!!
Thank you, from the bottom of my hungry heart.
Vera
Tremont, Ill
Yummy...wheat pancakes sound SO good. I think Angela needs to get on here and post her recipe, Bethmoore.
And sausage and biscuits sounds pretty good too!!!
I so appreciate the little things in your life that you share, showing us to enjoy the little things in our own lives...that much more because our joy is contagious!
I'm not sure it was the chocolate or the fruit that made you feel high, I'm POSITIVE it was The Most High!
Love ya,
Yolanda
Bethmoore, I don't think it was the fruit or the chocolate. I think it's just you. I have to go to the doctor this morning and I'm not looking forward to it. Mostly cause I have to drive myself there and I've never drove downtown before and parking there is awful. I can't parallel park and so that really limits my parking opportunities.
We love you too 'Bethmoore'. I think Jack was stating something in the natural that has translated to the spiritual. You make people hungry for MORE of God in their life. You are forever loved for that and MORE. You are going to get another box soon from the b's. It will be fruit of a different kind: ) I better stop typing before I spill the beans! I don't want to spoil the surprise!Blessing to the famous B who declares Jesus as the Famous ONE. b
You make me hungry too! Hungry for God's Word. I can't thank you enough!
That was a cute memory!
I love that story!! Too cute! On Monday night I started "To Live is Christ" with two other friends. I have been going through a rough time with my job & a family health situation. One of the ladies asked me if I wanted to wait another week or two to get started. I said, "No, I need to hear what God is going to say through Beth tonight. And I don't even care that it is 12 years old." So we started and it was an awesome experience. God always provides what we need right when we need it.
My homeschoolers are looking at me like I'm crazy! I laughed so hard at that post!!
Beth, I love your sense of humor and I love your stories! I'm so glad that you share them with us here in this blog!!!
I *heart* fruit!
Traci
OH my GOODness. Laughter os so good .... this time the story was especially funny because I used to be the one who played Jack's role in the story!
My mom was/is totally into the whole wheat-Barley Green-granola-soy-home grown, and she makes her own whole wheat bread. She even grinds her own wheat. Growing up I used to love eating at other peoples' houses, because then I could have a pb&j on Rainbow bread with Skippy peanut butter and jelly that didn't have seeds. Mom's version of pb&j was homemade peanut butter (or the all natural tastes homemade kind) and homemade jam.
I could never figure out why EVERY adult person who came over would rave over her bread, her jam, etc.
Now I know, and I miss it. I try occasionally to make my own bread, but she was on to something with the fresh ground wheat. Whole wheat flour from the store just doesn't cut it.
Oh, I almost forgot! The most amzing thing about my mom? She did all that healthy whole grain stuff for FIVE kids!
Of course, she would tell you she did it mostly to save money.
I roared with laughter at this! Wonderful!
Beth, This was interesting as I am a vegan and make whole wheat pancakes and biscuits. They are all delicious. I also love dark chocolate and fruit, either together or separate.
Have Blessed weekend.
Beth - you make me smile! And, at this moment, I have to agree with Jackson and say "Bethmoore makes me hungry"!!! I will not be making breakfast for lunch! Ohhhh, yeah!
HAHAHA
Oh Beth, we love you.
If anybody out there gets the time, could you lift up a little college fellowship out in Virginia today? We're heading off to a small and intimate women's retreat for the weekend -- just us and a handful of girls from another college -- and we'd be so grateful. Thanks. :)
And yay for fruit!
ROFL!!!
Love it!
Thanks for my smile today Bethmoore.
Bethmoore,
YOU ARE SO REAL. Thank you for bringing the WORD so hard and fast and true, but never being too perfect or unapproachable. You are so ... you. God wrought, humble, servant-hearted, funny, smart lady. So glad I get to hear from you and learn from you!
Blessings on your biscuits-in-a-can kind of day.
I've already posted once, but I just had to add that my 9 year old daughter came down this morning asking for pancakes. We do whole wheat usually (drizzled with agave nectar-mmm), but we occasionally splurge (like for sleepovers) and have "Aunt Jamaica" pancakes as my daughter calls them :).
Bethmoore it was the chocolate and yes I believe you make us all hungry.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. (Matthew 5:6 NKJV)
Everyday Beth we are being filled through your LPM Blog and Bible Studies of the Word of God
Love you too!
Man you can make me laugh! And you write like there is no tomorrow. Somehow whether you are writing about God Almighty or whole wheat pancakes - in the end I still feel blessed.
Love you to pieces.
Geri K.
Beth,
Thank you for sharing such an endearing and hilarious story! It made me love you and the Cottrells even more. Sure wish that I was going to be in GA this weekend with you, but will be praying!
Much love!
Tara
The thing I love about this blog Bethmoore, is catching a glimpse into your every day life. It is constantly an encouragment because it reminds me there is so much joy in following Christ. Is there any chance Angela would let you post the pancake recipe?
so funny, thanks for sharing. it reminds me of my favorite 3 year old, who when he was learning to talk called my husband (carson) car-car, and pronounced my name (holly) hottie. i was kinda sad when he started pronouncing our names correctly!
Bethmoore, you make me hungry, too!
I haven't eaten a bite of food or had a drink since midnight because I've got to go in for a small surgery today. It's not a big deal and I'll be home, Lord willing, and on the mend by 6:00 this evening. But. I'm so hungry, my tummy is growling. When I saw the new post was called "Fruit Dipped in Dark Chocolate," I thought NO! I can't read that right now. I did anyway! And it made me smile in my heart!!! You are a BLAST -- you're too much (in a wonderful way) and I love you!
Btw, I started Esther on Tuesday and I know God's up to something. I can totally relate with what Nathan, Stephanie, Trevor & Cody said, we started ours on inauguration day and I was struck by the irony with the background set. (And I loved the quote from a siesta about bringing back panties. YES! For heaven's sake, YES!!) I was "assigned" to a group of women who have done previous studies together and know each other and are well-bonded. I'm trying not to let that fact bother me.
Have fun at the CD taping this weekend!
Thank you Miss Bethmoore for sharing that story. Its a rainy, dreary day hear in Utah and I needed some mental sunshine!
(and it was SONshine to boot!)
A Utah siesta,
Leslie
You kill me "bethmoore"....to see the world through your eyes and is a very precious gift and joy!
I so love it when your random.
Still howling,
theresabradford
I remember you telling that story on one of your teachng CD's I loved it then and I coined your prase "THIS will change your LIFE" I love it - how precious.
BUT Bethmoore - pancakes may change your life a little BUT your teaching of the Word has CHANGED MY LIFE FORVER!!! You are precious to me - fruit an all :)
Okay, Bethmoore. We had a new granddaughter this year named "Scout Georgia"! She is the smile in our eye! Blessings on your family with your own "Georgia Jan"!
Thank you for making me smile with the pancake story. My kids grew up praying for white bread to miraculously appear in their lunches instead of what I sent! :o)
I always say "Beth Moore" too. Everyone should know by now who I'm talking about if I say "Beth." ;)
I love those Cottrell stories. The Lily Kate story you share in the Esther study about Cinderella is too cute!
Bethmoore makes me hungry too....
hungry for the Word! Thank you for that!
Oh... I'm all about biscuits, sausage, gravy, bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese etc. etc.
I'm trying to be more healthful during the week and am gagging down oatmeal. :) but I treat myself on the weekends with some real food.
Be blessed and enjoy your time with Travis and his family AND your daughter.
Love ya lots,
Valerie
I too would love to have Angela's recipe for whole wheat pancakes!
I have been praying that God would give me a love for fruits and vegetables because I want and need to eat healthier. Spiritually, emotionally, physically--He made me; He can transform me.
I love your stories! Thanks!
Many blessings,
Jan
Oh, Bethmoore...is it any wonder we love you so!? What a great story. = ) The only thing that could have made those pancakes any better is...you guessed it...chocolate!
Sounds like you have an incredible weekend lined up...can't wait to hear all about it!
Hugs,
Tracy
Hilarious!! This actually sheds a lot of light on why I'm not a huge fan of fruit. With the exception of these apples they sell at Sam's Club around Christmastime. They are dipped in caramel and then in chocolate and rolled in either m&m's or drizzled in white chocolate. Not even kidding. They cost TEN dollars. For an apple. Who in their right mind would pay TEN dollars for an apple??? Me. That's who. It's the only way I'll eat them. Love you much!
I love your little stories, they are wonderful PICTURES of everyday life!
luv ya Beth ;o)
Okay...I might be crazy! I thought in your post you were telling us your new baby's name will be Georgia Jan, so I talked out our Scout Georgia. After rereading your post and some comments, I'm thinking I mistook what you said, and maybe Georgia Jan is a friend you'll be seeing. In any event, I love you and your stories, and you will be blessed by Baby Girl Jones, and I will be blessed by our little Scoutie! :o) Love you, Bethmoore!
Edible Arrangements has the absolute best strawberries I've ever had and when dipped in chocolate - well, it just doesn't get any better!! I'm thinking of sending myself some....
Oh What a JOY you are!! I too was raised on Jimmy Dean sausage, biscuits and we had (skinny water & flour based) white gravy. As a matter of fact they are having chicken fried steak & mash potatoes as the Chief's Special here at the Naval Officer's Club next week on my Navy Base. Trust me the O Club opens at 1100 hrs and I being a good mid western girl will be ther at 1059 hrs so that I can be first in line!! Thanks so much for sharing your stories with us, it truly makes us know that you are human just like the rest of us. Starting your ESTHER study in a week on Mondays and just can't wait. It was God ordained for a time just as this. How did you know so many months ago how our nation was headed except by God's leading (Psalms 139:16). Thanks for listening and then teaching the rest of us. That is why I just can't go a month in between with out your studies so I listen to them on my computer during the day at work (Naval Financial Analyst in So Calif). When I start a new study of yours I purchase the audio CDs so that I can go to study on Monday and then listen to you tell me the same thing again for 4 days in a row at my office, while I am doing my lessons at night. By the next week's study I have finally gotten it and am able to use it in my daily encounters and walk. Keep it up girl, know that we are praying for your daily. You are truly being used by God, if for no one else but we and it is working and changing me and I am able to share it with the ladies that I minister to as I am an Assistant Women's Ministry leader in my local church and need it as each days "God Winks" and "Devine Appointments" arrive. You help me to be prepared and understand even more down to a grass roots level the word of God and how to apply it in my daily situations and encourage my sisters. Lord continue to Bless and Guide you Dear One!!! xo xo xo
Great story, now I am hungry too, of course!
I will be at the event this weekend, so I look forward to seeing you there!!! Although I am a little embarassed to admit this, I have been trying to win "meet and greet" tickets all week from the local radio station. Actually, I just dialed in about 30 minutes ago...no luck:) I'll wave at you from my seat!!
Love,
Kristin
Your 1st name isn't Bethmoore?? :) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fruit dipped in chocolate...when we see a fondue thingy at a wedding or party, hubby laughs and knows he's lost his dancing partner, conversation partner, dinner partner...in fact, he just prepares to burn a hole in the floor between our table and the fruit table to prevent the embarrassment of my pulling up a chair to the fruit table!
I love it! Someone else who like me loves fruit only when covered in chocolate. I'm more of a bacon girl my self but Jimmy Dean sausage will do in a pinch.
Funny! I love your stories. Hey, maybe this isn't the place for this, but you guys are great so here goes. I'm very early on in my 4th pregnancy. YAY! However, some blood work came back this morning kind of alarming. Would you all please pray for my baby, and that God would calm my heart and help me trust in HIS perfect plan? Thanks so much! I remember hearing somewhere that trusting God does NOT MEAN anxiously waiting. I'm working on that!
Love you guys!
kaci
I am so thrilled that you are going to be with Travis this weekend. We moved to the area about 5 months ago just in time to hear Travis sing at First Baptist Woodstock. I was elated to learn he was coming back and that you are coming with him. It has been hard adapting to a new home. My husband is a chaplain at the prison in Atlanta and his hours are not traditional which has added extra work to adapting. Being able to hear Travis sing and knowing you will be with him is a true blessing. I will be the Siesta sitting in the back (you always have to sit near the back when you have little kids with you :)) with my notecards close by. My kids are even excited. Around Christmas time my preschooler was making Christmas cards at school out of old Christmas cards. The one she chose for me had a large purple bow on the front. She said she picked it because it looked like Beth Moore. Love ya, Siesta Mama! Can't wait to see you and Travis on Sunday.
Okay, Beth. If you don't like fruit and eating healthy - how do you stay so dang skinny?
I don't mind fruit - a little bit of it. But I just can't seem to get in my daily quanitity. My weakness is fried foods. Heavens, I love them. But now that my cholesterol is getting high (runs in the family genes - dang it) I'm having to try to adjust things a bit. And it's hard. Oh it's hard.
Love dark chocolate though. Love it. I think all fruit should have dark chocolate on it. I'd be eating it all day too then.
"bethmoore makes me hungry"...I would have to agree with the other sisters...that because of the fruit of the Spirit that we see so evident in your life when you teach us God's Word....it would be safe to say that bethmoore make us hungry for God's Word...We long to be fed with His Word...
"Your Words were found,
and I ate them,
And Your Word was to ME the JOY and REJOICING of my heart;
For I am called by Your name
O Lord God of Hosts." Jer. 15:16
(Just happens to be my memory verse)
Love ya!
Bethmoore makes me hungry too! Hungry for God's word . . . just love me some Bethmoore Bible studies. We're doing Esther right now and it is wonderful! Looking so forward to the concert at FBC Woodstock. Me and Siesta Sharron are coming with our hubbies. See you there!
Yes, that was random, but that is what we love about you Bethmoore! Continuing in randomness..while I love pancakes..my favorite breakfast...grits, thick sliced bacon, scrambled eggs with sharp cheddar cheese, orange juice and coffee! Yum!
Have a blessed weekend!
There's not much better than strawberries dipped in chocolate, but to quote yourself: Ain't no high like the Most High!
Ever since I was pregnant with our first child (who turned 33 last week), I have loved hot cocoa in the morning. And I make it with cocoa and Splenda, but my healthy hubby (who drinks green tea) never approved. Well, a couple years ago when chocolate was found to be high in antioxidants...oh my, I could hardly wait for him to get home and tell him!
L-O-V-E LOVE love randomness, it just makes you feel even more like family.
how do you stay so stinkin' thin when you don't like healthy food??!!!
THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY.
Bethmoore
Chocolate covered strawberries
Sausage biscuits
What more can I say except you make me laugh and you make me hungry.
Have an awesome weekend
Carolyn a Raleigh girl from California
Hey:-)
So yea, wish I could go and hug everyone this weekend, but I'll be planning to meet up next time.
(I couldn't miss for too long praise dancing and falling into Mama Moonflower:)- and gettin' together more than VIA FB with all my siestas:)
I hope you all have a wonderful time though:)
BTW...I found a job:) I think I might have 2 actually:) But the one for sure, so thank you so much for the siestas that have been praying:) Its been so rough, but when I saw Matt 7:7 in my email the other day, I knew He was up to something:)
Be Blessed:)
angie
Plain and simple....I love you to PIECES Bethmoore!
Thanks for my Friday laugh...
See you on Sunday!
Leslie
You are so funny. That is why you are one of my best friends. Even though we've never met. Is that weird?
Kari
Washington state
I my gosh you are so funny! It's great to hear from a godly woman who likes her sausage biscuits!:)
I also love the cheap bisquits and sausage and from a family of eight!! The bisquits as I recall were 4 for $1.00!!! I still love them too. Have you ever deep fried those cheap bisquits and then poured some honey and butter on 'em??? Purrty good stuff....
I eat much healthier now but don't have near the fun as I used to. Nope don't like the fruit either but thankfully my children do. So I have a little with them. Strawberried dipped in chocolate are the best. Now those things I can make myself sick on. Happy eating!!
Isaac's mom
My 5 year old also says your name like Jackson did... He says it when you come on the radio for "A Quickword with Beth"... You are a family friend to us :)
Love ya, Kim
Great story! Kids say the darndest things, some of which are prophetic! I think that is why I love working with them.
Bethmoore has made me hungry many times! But she has taught me where to get fed. My life is totally changed. I can truly say it is SO MUCH RICHER NOW! I have been blessed by your life.
Thanks,
Jan
I'm finishing picking up my house and then I'm making a pot of taco soup while I wait on 3 extra special siesta's to arrive(Fran, Patty and GA!)....We are SO excited to experience this weekend with so many siesta's!!! Travis has an army of prayer warriors coming in for this one!
Hope we get to hug your neck!!! If not,know we are thrilled that you are here with us!!
Much love
stephanie
Bethmoore,
I have often wanted you to tell us your secrets for keeping so slim. Now we know it is not your diet. So it must be your super charged metabolism. Sometime please reveal your food and exercise journal. There are sisters out here who need to know.
That was too funny! My kids call you Bethmoore too. I am hungry for some wheat pancakes now (once you get used to the whole wheat the regular ones don't taste the same)!
And like many other commenters- you make me hungry for the Word and more Jesus!
Haha!! Too funny!!
When my younger cousins Brett and Daniel were little, they called me NikkiRyan and my sister, Ryan, NikkiRyan...it was like our names were one and that one name was both of ours! My aunt still will talk about how Brett or Daniel would beg to go to NikkiRyan's house or to call NikkiRyan!! Soo funny!
Excited about the taping...love me some good Travis music and a road trip with a dear friend!!
Be safe in your travels!
Love you BethMoore!!
Thank you, I am laughing with a great belly laugh and mascara starting to tear. Love you Bethmoore.
Celeste
That was so funny!! But the part that grabbed my heart was the part about Angela being one of your favorite women to muse over the Word of God with. I haven't had that in a long time--at least in person-- and I really miss it. I think its why I gravitate to this blog. Thanks again Bethmoore.
Bethmoore,
Good food leads to good memories. When I was much younger our family was taking care of a little girl whose mom was trying to get her act together. One Saturday afternoon she helped me bake a chocolate cake. She licked the spoon, the beaters and bowl. When the cake came out of the oven she helped me ice it - repeating all the steps listed above. When it came time to serve the cake, she ate one bite and then said - MissJanice, I like your cake...but it makes me sick. That was over 25 years ago and we still laugh about it. I love you Bethmoore.
Thanks so much for the laugh! My sweet son who is now 10 (and is also named Jackson) used to call our dear family friend Mikerodriguez. His name is Mike Rodriguez, but Jackson thought it was all one name. We couldn't stand to correct him because it was too cute. It was especially precious when he called Mike's wife Elise Mikerodriguez!
I've got four boys and they are the most precious and sweet gifts. We laugh our heads off at some of the things that they say. Our two year old told me the other day "I love you, mom. You're a sweet boy, mom." He hears that so much. He just repeated it right back to me! I'll happily be called a "sweet boy" any day of the week if he's the one saying it! Love you, Beth!
Oh my goodness, how funny! I love chocolate and fruit but not together!!! Sausage and biscuits remind me of my growing up in the mid-west only we were even cheaper - a small can of chipped beef and gravy over biscuits! We took our girls back home and my aunt served them spam and twinkies and my girls were not impressed! lol My family and cousins felt so bad for them that they had been so deprived! :)
Such a profound truth from such a little person.....you've certainly made me hungry.
This reminds me of the story of you getting a salad because you couldn't say no. God love ya......you're eating the fruit!
Have a great time tonight!
Fabulous! Thanks for sharing this hilarious story.
Also, can't wait for the CD! The girls in our Bible study are Travis groupies! We love when a new CD comes out!
Forever His,
Lawan Rivera
Phil 4:8
Bethmoore I'm gonna have to drive to east Texas and get some of my aunt's cheese grits, slab bacon, and homemade (not whole wheat) biscuits covered in the gravy made from the bacon drippin's...
Bethmoore YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT...
Please pass along to Curtis... I ordered the devotional CD and have for a couple of days been contemplating how I might "gift" it to my man. I received the notice from the delivery company that it was on the way..."expect delivery tomorrow"... Well today we arrived home after a difficult meeting we had to attend that didn't go the way we had prayed and hoped for. Well, the package was on the door step. He asked what the package was and before I could "do an end around" and defer the topic until I was better prepared, I just said "I ordered a devotional series put together by Beth Moore's son-in-law". He replied "for who"? I couldn't very well dodge the ball now...so I responded "You, but you may not be interested right now, I don't know anything about the CD but Curtis' blog message was very cute?!?!" (can you just hear the hesitation and trepidation in my voice).
So, blessings of all blessings he took the box, opened it, and after looking at it said "Is this a DVD series? Where is the workbook?"
After I recovered from hearing the tone of acceptance and interest in my man's voice, I explained that it was a cd to play in the car during his commute. He said "Great!", kissed me, grabbed his things and headed out the door...CD IN HAND!
Is that not the greatest?! I know the Lord was helping me out with this one. I know, that left to my own devices, I would have either "gifted" it in a way to totally put him off, or never gotten the nerve to give it at all. My God is always listening and won't miss an opportunity to get involved. Halleluiah!
Gotta go call my aunt about some grits!
Thanks for the laugh.
Lauri
Your whimsical comments always brighten my day. I could literally smell the whole wheat pancakes and savor the dark chocolate covered fruit. I praise God for you Bethmoore!!
I love your ramdomness! It makes me smile :-)
Mmmm that makes me hungry!
Can't wait till Sunday! Emmy : )
Bethmoore!
I love you and your stories. I'll be thinking about and praying for y'all this weekend while I am at a retreat with a bunch of Jr. Highers. Bless us all! ;)
Give that sweet Melissa and Georgia Jan a hug for me.
Love, love!
Lindsee
I praise God for you so often Bethmoore. Thanks for the laugh. I'm in agreement with the others. You make me hungry for the Word of God.
OHMYGOSH!! I LOVE DARK CHOCOLATE anything and on Strawberries--haven't tried it on apples-but sounds yummy!! Love your stories bethmoore!!
That was HILARIOUS! I don't know whether to take this as a sign from the Lord to stay away from it or permission to go out and eat me some CHOCOLATE COVERED SOMETHING! You see, I just started my new life of trying to eat better and have less sugar intake. I love loving you Bethmoore, Carla Lee
Now I want pancakes, fruit and chocolate!! Thanks for the laugh:)
I send those to a friend every Christmas and she says they're divine. I have yet to share in the greatness! I love you, too, Bethmoore!
Amy in OK
Beth,
That is a great story, thanks for sharing it with us. I could not tell you if you are high from the dark chocolate. I won't touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole. When I eat chocolate, it has to be milk, white or syrup over vanilla ice cream. It could be the fruit since you are not used to it, but my suspicion is that it is that choc.
My hubby can eat it, but we have a long standing joke that he does not have taste buds. Like many things in our marriage, we have completely different taste buds. He is a sweet tooth and I am a grease tooth.
So, let me ask you? Are you on Lipitor???? You are so small and I know from what you said that you are not the healthiest eater around. Neither am I and I have to take 20mg. of Lipitor every night to prove it. I'm 33, 5-3 1/2, 120 pounds and take more Lipitor than anyone in my family and my cholesterol still isn't what it should be. I eat a lot of healthy food, but when I come across something fried, I have to literally scoot out of the store so fast or I will eat it. I know that some of it is genetic, but I also know that my habits have kicked it into gear. Half of my people are from Italy and the other half are from Camp Creek, WV. so I have always loved every kind of food.
I'm going to send Melissa one of our family cookbooks when this years comes in. My aunt Lisa is taking care of it. I'm just going to send it to LPM for her. Hopefully, it won't have big, gaping holes in the recipes like the last one. No one measures and you have to get online or just figure it out if you don't know how to make it.
Okay, that was my break for the day. I have to get back to cooking. I'm in the middle of lasagna, eggplant (fried), shrimp and a cheeseball. It is the weekend, thank goodness!
If you are able to eat greasy food, not take Lipitor and look great, woman I am jealous!!!! My 9 year-old son thinks that you are thirty after seeing you at Converge. He knows that you are a grandmother and I think he was trying to put it together. He is a very sweet, special little boy. When he says something, he is serious. After Converge, he said "I didn't know she is thirty." It brought a big smile to my face and I explained to him that you are just very pretty.
Oh Bethmoore!
We love you so!
Thanks for the laughs, the love, the lessons in life.
Blessings from your sisters in the convent!
I ALWAYS LOVE YOUR STORIES!
THANK YOU so much for that post this morning!!
Bethmoore makes me hungry to be closer to Jesus! Thank you,Beth! You will never fully know the extent of your power and purpose until heaven greets you; you have helped me through some very dark days. I truly love you.
Lisa, Maine
I will never bore of your stories!
Luvin you and and SOOO excited to see you for the first time(in person) this weekend.
Charlotte
Hey there ladies - We are starting the Esther Bible study for a group of 18-25er's. So I was wondering if y'all would be willing to pray that as we young girls meet, that the Lord would begin to teach us and raise us up as a God fearing generation in today's world. And that we would trully know what it means to be a woman of God. Thank you for you love and prayers!
Blessings!
Sarah
My husband brought home a flyer the other day that had all that chocolate covered fruit in it. Looked good but I'm like you....I'd just rather eat the chocolate!
I have been asked to facilatate your "Esther" Bible study for all our volunteers at the pregnancy center where I work one day a week. Last night I watched the intro and first lesson DVDs and was so helped and excited! You see, this was the first time I had ever seen you teach! My internet is dial-up so have not even been able to watch the little videos you put up sometimes. You are a very gifted teacher and speaker. Hmmmm....that sounded pretty lame I guess because...duh!....of COURSE you are! I am very excited about the new Bible study. You see, I have done a couple of your studies but with the workbook only and by myself at home. I have NEVER done a Bible study with a group of women, much less led one, so please remember me in prayer.
And....I want to add that I LOVE it when you write random things so we can get a picture of your normal everyday life! :)
May God bless you as you stay SO busy for Him!
A sister in Mississippi,
Marilyn
That is a funny story Bethmoore. Thanks for sharing. I am also enjoying very much your study of Esther and I am blown away with its timeliness. My VVPG daughter and I are taking it together, our fifth study together. Your week 2 video readings from the Red Book on motherhood kicked her pregnancy emotions into high gear tears. :) It was sweet. And you can count us as two who think you are not only precious, but beautiful!!
I feel so much better now. Fruit is expensive and I rarely buy it. You can stop by the day old rack and get an entire cake for $2.00 or a huge box of donuts for .99 cents! I was the same way growing up... How funny huh? Love you all!
Judy
I love you back, Bethmoore!! That was a hoot!
It's my sweet hubby's birthday today and it is a tradition to set the table the night before (in secret) for the birthday "child" to wake up to. All sorts of decorations, pictures, figurines and favorite foods are placed around the plate and a special birthday poster. I'm just thinking how funny it is that all Carl's favorites are chocolate related! Last night I almost stuck a banana in the mix to make him smile. Yes, Bethmoore, you would fit right into this family! Big hugs! Jax
I love it! And I love you, BethMoore. :) You help the Lord to create a hunger in ME, for the Word. Even pancakes and chocolate covered strawberries can't beat that! :)
I'll be there Sunday also!!! Can't wait to worship with y'all! :)
I make whole wheat pancakes for my kiddos sometimes and they LOVE them! (I should add that I put chocolate chips in them -- really, it's the best of both worlds)
love the story bethmoore!
see you Sunday at my home church!
ps...
my daughter Emily watches you on Wednesdays with me, and has seen some of your videos here at home, and she says it like Jackson "I like that Bethmoore, Mama"!
She has been begging me for all of last year to take her to a LPM conference. "Mama, you love going to them so much, why can't I go with you?"
And here y'all are, coming to our church this Sunday, and she gets to go with me. This little 8 year old is SOOO happy!
xoxo
I am glad I read this post in the privacy of my own home because lately Beth's humor has an embarrassing effect on me... I am nearly 8 months pregnant with Baby #2 and bladder control has become a real issue. Case in point: Last Tuesday, I attended the introductory session for Beth's "Esther" study. I was sitting at a table with eight new ladies whom I'd never met before (we've just joined a new church), and Beth was reading some quotes (which I assume she got off of this blog that have to do with the three hardest things about being a woman). We were all laughing out loud - and in agreement - at the person who wrote "#1. Hormones. #2. Hormones. #3. Hormones." And then she delievered this one: "The hardest thing about being a woman is wearing panties and trying to hide the fact that I do." Eruptions of laughter sprang forth all over the room. I joined in with it all and then...you guessed it! I was still laughing about the quote as I planned my exit route to the nearest bathroom with my coat tied securely around my waist. But - it was all worth it. That was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing God's Word with us with such a beautiful mixture of humor, Beth.
This cracked me up. And... yes, bethmoore makes me hungry too... for the HIM and HIS WORD.
And I am with you... chocolate on anything improves the taste.
Lynn
Bethmoore,
You are hilarious! I would eat EVERYTHING dipped in chocolate if I had your figure- you sweet thing.
And please tell VVPG that she looks absolutely radiant!!
I know ya'all are ready to get through the next 3 weeks quickly for the arrival of Baby Girl Jones. We Siestas are excited, too, and praying for her safe and healthy arrival.
love,
Houston Ann
Yum. Tomorrow is Saturday and my hubby hasn't made us Saturday pancakes in a while. Hmmm...
Chocolate covered strawberries. Double Yum!!! We were at a relative's wedding last summer when my 4 year old fell in love with chocolate covered strawberries. Those babies were huge! My little Emily ate the entire thing in 3 bites. Stem and all! LOL!
On a side note, we are loving Esther here in Aggieland. Your member books are flying off the shelf. We had 25 and needed 15 more. Both Christian stores in town were out as were their distributors. Thankfully we had them sent 2 day from Lifeway so our ladies wouldn't be behind. You are well represented and love in Aggieland Beth!
Hello. I am a new comer to the LPM blog--or any blog for that matter. I first discovered your beautiful words, Beth, on election day when I was searching for some comfort during my heartbreak. I have not been able to read many other blogs since due to my beautiful and very active 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old children. However, today I decided I was going to check in. Your stories are so hilarious, and after doing several of your bible studies, I can absolutely picture you saying every word--which makes me laugh even louder. I just adore you and your honesty.
I completely empathize with you and your love for the sausage and biscuit menu. I was raised in the midwest (MO) where that was a staple breakfast--inexpensive and very filling. Ding-Dong's wrapped in foil were also a love of mine--not the same flavor today in the plastic seal. Although I do love fruit, it certainly was not then, and has not been, in the forefront of my menu selection until just recently. Most of the fruit we received growing up was either given to us from a friend or from the small amount that we grew ourselves. However, now that i am a mother, and understand the health benefits of fruits and vegetables, I have made a conscious effort to change my lifestyle and plant a seed for my children (and hopefully my husband) to follow. So, long story short, I am with Crissy T. and would enjoy a copy of that pancake recipe if Angela is willing to share.
Thank you, Beth, for sharing your life with all of us.
In His Love~
~Stephanie
<><
Ok bethmoore...you don't eat fruit but you do eat chocolate and you don't like water...hmmmm and you look 'jus darlin' in your 'darlin' clothes...how ever do you do it? I never get to have chocolate?!
Hugs
Momma Siesta, or now, Bethmoore,
I was so sad to have missed you and everyone else at the Siesta Fiesta this summer. There just wasn't the money in this stay at home mommy's budget. BUT Sunday night I get to see you and Travis in my very own home town!! I am OVER THE MOON!!! I keep trying to win meet and greet tickets on our local radio station, The Fish, but so far get "all circuits are busy, please try your call later." Oh well, just know that I will be meeting you in spirit and am SOOOOO incredibly delighted that I will be there listening to you and Travis (and Cindy, don't want to forget Cindy!!) SOOOO very excited.... Here's to hoping I win tickets to meet you in the flesh, this side of heaven!!
I LOVED that and I so needed that laugh! :D
Thank you!
Post a Comment
<< Home