Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Meanwhile...Melissa needs a Mentor

Happy 2009 my fellow blog sisters… I know this is probably an anticlimactic salutation since it is already January 7th and all of us are back in the hectic swing of life. I don’t know about you, but I love a new year and all of the hope that it represents. It’s sort of like a new binder or a new journal. I love blank pages. I even love the smell of blank pages. Well, on our drive from Houston to Atlanta I was full on in my dreamy state thinking of all the lofty things that I want to get right this year…like, I am going to pray WAY more often or I am going to call people rather than text them (already buried that one in the grave). And then it happened…GASP. Colin said to me, “Darling, we need to talk about the budget I have planned for us for 2009.” Budget? And then I opted for the semantic argument which I hoped would stop him dead in his tracks by saying, “What exactly do you mean by that word, budget? Can you exegete that for me?" He ignored my question entirely and later handed me twelve envelopes with labels for January- December 2009. Yep, folks, Mr. Fitzpatrick wants me to gather each of my receipts, no matter how mundane (like a pack of gum from the convenience store), and place them in the month-appropriate envelope. And he is going to review them. Can you imagine? I haven’t been this terrified since I took my SAT’s. Now, don’t get me wrong the two of us don’t spend heaps of money (we simply don’t have heaps of money) but Colin’s point is that we can do better. Apparently a new year is about living more skillfully, more wisely. And so, in light of me being the very submissive wife that I am, I have gotten my heart in gear and I am really trying to jump on my husband’s bandwagon. I even ran out of Nordstrom right after I met my friend for lunch at Nordstrom Café…I kid you not, I was like Joseph fleeing from Potiphar’s wife in Genesis 39. One more minute in Nordstrom and I would have been a very fashionable sheep fattened for the slaughter. Sigh. You really should have seen that jacket I passed up. It was oh so fine.


Okay so this is my specific question for you: How can I save money at the grocery store? Obviously I know how to avoid the Mall (though at times it appears to draw near to me) but I am downright lost as to how I can save serious bucks at the grocery store. What do YOU do to save money on groceries? How do you make your food last the longest? Do you have any tips or any secrets to offer me? If your resolution for 2009 was to mentor a fellow-sojourning woman this year, now is your chance. Mentor me. Please? I would have asked my Mom who is normally the ultimate mentor but as it is she avoids the grocery store at all costs.


Are we almost to 2010 yet? I’m exhausted.

Labels:

677 Comments:

At January 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM , Blogger harmonysong said...

The only advice I have is to buy the store brand when possible, frozen veggies are not that bad, and if possible go to a grocery store that offers a gasoline rewards program...I think that's all I've got. Oh, and only buy what you know you will eat before it goes bad.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM , Blogger Abba's Girl said...

I buy many store brands now. Most taste as good as the real thing. Years ago that was not the case.

I also buy a turkey breast (would not have done this even 5 yrs ago) and bake it and slice it. Put enough for a couple of sandwiches in zip lock bags, one goes in the refrigerator and the rest into the freezer...way cheaper than deli sliced turkey.

And last but not least, I buy a brand of coffee that was probably around when my great-grandmothter was an infant, it's good to the last drop, but if another brand from New Orleans is on sale I buy it. No more expensive coffees from the grocery store.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa - your Hilarious!! Heres my tip...Dont know if you have a Bed Bath and Beyond, but they sell these green bags (12-15 dollars) that you put your veggies and fruit in and it lasts so much longer. This particular bag slows down the riping process and your fruit and veggies last so much longer. I use them all the time and it really works. Saves a ton instead of throwoing out thoe rasberries because they ripened too fast. Budget???!!! I feel your pain.....it sounds like he is a finance man... HAHAHAHA too funny

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Planning your menu helps alot when trying to save at the grocery store. If you need help with menu planning try looking on www.flylady.net She has a lady who plans the menu and will even send a grocery list to you. You can use the sample menu to try it before choosing to purchase one.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM , Blogger harmonysong said...

Also, HAPPY 30TH ANNIVERSARY TO BETH AND HER HUBBY!!(a few days late)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i clip coupons (only ones i really use), and use them at Kroger, where they double coupons up to 0.60. I also watch the sale ads for when these items are on sale, then use the coupons. You can save quite a bit of money doing that. also, invest in a deep freeze, so that you can stock on items that are on sale, like breads.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Melissa,
Most people would say us coupons but I am one of those people that will save coupons and then forget to take them with me to the store. So when I do finally remember them they have expired. One of the things that has helped me the most is to have a specific amount of money that I am going to spend (it could be cash in an envelope) Then make a list of the items that I need. Take your money, list and calculator and so for it. What I did last week is I put in how much money I had with me and for each item that I put in the buggy and marked off my list I substracted from the amount I had. I ended us with $25.00 left that I did not spend.

I learned this a few years ago when we did the Bible study Jesus on Money. It helped a lot.

Becky
Attalla, AL

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM , Blogger berrypatch said...

Tip #1 - Make a list before you go shopping.
Tip #2 - ONLY go to the store to get your weekly (or monthly) groceries. Do not do quick "runs" mid-week -you'll always spend more.
Tip #3 - Make out a weekly (or monthly) menu & buy only what you need for said menu.

We got on the budget bandwagon a couple years ago & this year we should end it by being debt-free. It's hard work but oh so worth it.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Christina said...

I just got back from the grocery store! Here's how I save money - I take as many coupons as I can, buy the store brand, and try to get as much stuff from farmer's markets as I can to get the fresh veggies. You can check out http://www.localharvest.org/ for local markets. We have a store in Dallas called Sprouts (http://www.sprouts.com) that has awesome prices on veggies and non-anitibiotic/non-hormone laden meats. I checked the locations and there isn't one in Houston yet but I'm sure there's something like it. It's also helpful to pay attention to what is seasonal in your area and tweak your diet...maybe it means going without tomatoes and finding your hidden penchant for brussell sprouts in the fall/winter (hey - stranger things have happened)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:45 PM , Blogger harmonysong said...

Sorry, 3rd comment on this post. I believe this is the website for the green bags mentioned by Maria. These bags are GREAT!

https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=402572

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Christina said...

OH! and I forgot - try getting into canning and preserving food! Makes everything last longer and is really fun in that little-house-on-the-prairie kind of way.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Misty said...

Coupons, coupons, sales and more coupons!! You will be shocked at all the things out there to be had for just cents on the dollar! Anything from rice to lipstick!! For example, I went to the local drugstore today and with help of my coupons and their store rewards program I bought $45 worth of Loreal makeup for $7!!! Plus I got a box 40 Christmas cards for next year for $2!! Now, at the grocery store you can do even better with a little planning. Find a store in you area that doubles coupons everyday and buy only when things are on sale & you have a coupon. I started doing this around the beginning of November and my savings have already totaled well over $350!! Sure there are things I have to buy w/o a coupon, but with what I save on the other stuff it's okay. My hubby is so proud! We have a great website done by someone local(Raleigh, NC) that helps you match up your coupons with what's on sale that week at all the grocery, drug, and big box stores. I couldn't do it without their help. The address is www.savvydollar.org, but I am not sure if it would be helpful in other areas of the country. Good Luck! And you know God will bless you for being a good steward of what He has given, whether it's little or much.

Misty

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

The only advice I have is buy generic on anything you can. Also, try to make more casserole type dishes so it will last longer.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM , Blogger jamie b said...

I am learning this myself. One thing I do is get the weekly sales paper from the store I shop from. (publix) I try to plan my meals according to what is on sale. I'll plan the meals on Sunday for the whole week ahead. We have saved SO much each month just doing this! Of course coupons always help.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What helps me is keeping a list, only shopping once a month and keeping it within a certain amount each month. Also, shopping at Sams or Costco will save you tons! It takes a lot of getting used to because you need to decide what you want to make for the whole month. My biggest problem was always finding recipes to try and then I would go to the store for special ingredients and it would cost the same amount as my usual shopping. Now I get all my recipes for the month together and make my list. I don't allow myself to try anything new until next shopping trip. Hope this helps!

Amber

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Molly said...

Well girl,
From one head strong girl to another; I can offer you some advice. I put myslef in a bad way when I charged the heck out of my credit cards(getting over a heartache) and now have to live really in my means, if not save, because I am paying off debts.

Step 1: Plan your meals; what do you guys's like? What makes good leftovers for lunch? Plan according to those meals, not just the idea of what sounds good.

Step 2: Grab those paper inserts that have the grocery store sales going and actually go. Some have meaat and fish sales and then you can stock up and freeze.

Step 3: WRITE A LIST, and don't you dare detour from it. Think of it as a bible memory verse, like, "I can't add to it.." I also organize my list kind of in the way I will walk the store, so as to not back track and pass in front of the french bread, brie, etc.

Step 4: Be creative! You should be good at this! When it looks a bit barren in your fridge, get cooking anyway. Think of ways to use last little bits of stuff together to make a great dish.
Like a corn and tomato salad witha vinegrette or a veggie sub, or even a kitchen sink (b/c its everything but) soup. Dishes can be really easy sometimes, but I think we as americans think in terms of meals. Like this is mexican, it must consist of... the other night I had no sour cream for tacos, but I did have yogurt, so I mixed yogurt and hot sauce and made a zesty creamy sauce for my fish tacos, that tasted just as good and was good for my figure. (multitasker!)

You can do it, and you know what, it really is what God wants us to be; good stewards of our money.
Its worth doing, you won't miss half of what you thought you would.

Blessings in Him,

Siesta OC

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Blogger The Bryant Family said...

A GREAT way to save is by using http://www.thegrocerygame.com/.
I unfortunately live in an area small enough that my stores aren't on the list. I'm SOOOOO disappointed because I have several friends who save a TON of money going this way. You can see what stores are available in your area before joining and then you pay a small monthly fee and you do need to get the Sunday paper. Also, they give you 4 weeks for $1 just to try it out and see if you like it. I won't explain it more than that because they will explain it better on the site and you can decided for yourself. I know it seems weird to spend money to save money but the cost is low my friends really and truly get cartloads for practically nothing. (i've seen the receipts!) Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coupons - I was never much of a coupon user until the last year with a job layoff. I saved $31 on one visit but typically it's about $10 but $10 a week is over $500 a year. There is a site that emails monthly coupons - most are good. The site is grocerycouponsusa.com. Plan your trip, make a list, make sure you aren't hungry. I make a weekly menu list and then make my grocery list. I also make meals that I can freeze. Good Luck - you can do it!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plan your menu for the week. That's the biggest thing. Next, look through the sale papers. Compare prices. Some stores will even match prices. It can be a little inconvenient, but I sometimes end up going to two ( sometimes 3 but not very often)stores to get my groceries. Depending on if the meal is something we will eat leftover ( spaghetti is a good example), I will buy a little bit more so we can have it the next day for lunch as well. I love organic but can't afford to buy everthing organic. I try to get just a few things on my list that are important to me like milk and fruits. I am a stay at home mom with three kids, and these few tips have definately worked for me.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:50 PM , Blogger The Joys of having Boys said...

I agree that planning your menu helps with the cost of groceries. My best tip is look through your local ads and buy what is on sale then plan your menu around that. If you are up to the challenge you could even clip coupons and put those on top of the sale items only and save even more. Moneysavingmom.com has some great tips for saving money on her site. Good Luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use coupons...go to www.grocerygame.com and join this program. I have been using it for years. It takes a little time but I usually save 30-40% at the grocery store.
Also, cook for the month. Buy food in bulk, cook your meals in a day or two and freeze them. Great cookbook for this, "Don't Panic It's In the Freezer"

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Love this post! Check out more than one store. I don't have time to go to 50 different stores all across town, but I know my prices on the stuff we regularly buy and have figured out which stores give me the best deal on what. (I have 3 that I regularly shop at so I watch their ads) Watch for meat on sale and stock up. Go generic when you can, but some stuff just isn't worth it.

Go with a list and know what you are cooking for the week. That way you don't get home with $200 worth of 'stuff' and nothing to eat. I actually add up my list before I go then I can reevaluate what is on it. Do I really need the Breyer's ice cream? Or is this a good week to stock up on some stuff?

I'm done being a total geek - but seriously, I am a grocery store geek.. Lastly - pray and ask God for sales on what you are buying. Don't think I'm strange - I do it and you would be surprised at how long my "flour and oil" last and what will "just happen to be on sale" today only

Have fun and make it a game.
Kim . . . who is
Grafted by Grace

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Amy Woods said...

Also, the store that you shop at makes a big difference too. I really do have a love/hate relationship with W@lm*rt. I hate to go in there but let me tell you the joy I have when I check out and the bill is way less that the other places I shop. There is an exception to every rule but just do some looking around. My husband sounds a lot like your husband. At first it really stressed me out but now I find that I'm the one asking him if that is a wise choice and do we really need that, etc. Now...Nordstrom...that's a different story!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Instead of trying to count every penny, try asking your boss for a raise! I think you are due for one.
Let us know what she says!!! LOL

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Laura said...

When I am feeling organized, I plan my meals out two weeks in advance. I only buy what's on my grocery list for those two weeks worth of meals. Also, when they have whole chickens or turkeys on sale, you can buy some, cook the meat, pick it off and freeze and you have it for future tacos, casseroles or soups. Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Miss Jackson said...

Melissa,
Girl, we are in the same boat this year! We itemized all of our 2008 spending to come up with a budget. We don't have kids, and are trying to spend $50/week at the grocery store and buy meals for 6.5 days. I planned out a menu in advance, but I based it on what was in the sale ad at the grocery stores. My local stores have ads online and you can just click the items, and they go on a printable list. Also, I am shopping at ALL the stores, not just the pretty ones (you know, like the one that starts with a T and rhymes with Margaret??), but also the ones where Paris Hilton thinks they sell "walls." I am going where it's cheapest, even if it isn't my fave place to shop...I know this is long, but I am SOOOO with you. I feel like your post was God's way of getting me some help, too...can't wait to see what others say! ~Melissa, in PCB, FL

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

my only advice....

send your husband! LOL

i don't know what it is, but when my husband does the grocery shopping, no matter where he goes, he gets way more food for way less money!!! :)


love ya!
jill

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Trina said...

I am working on this too - and I have been learning from a pro, she is so good at saving money on groceries that she blogs about it almost every day! You should check it out, it seems like it will take a little bit of time and organization but it is worth it! Her website is www.5dollardinners.com. Hope you find this as helpful as I have!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems your mom still has the best advice -- avoid that grocery store at all costs. However, I will add freeze everything (you can even freeze milk and thaw for a recipe so you don't buy a half gallon of milk for a 1/4 cup). Also, clip coupons.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Molly said...

BTW - I LOVE the "Darling, we need to talk," part, that was so Ward and June.

So cute, I couldn't stand it!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM , Blogger Sister In Christ in Fort Smith said...

LIST, make a list before you go and only allow yourself one surprise item. Know what you are having for the week and stick to those items only. Also, shop alone. Best wishes!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Heather Vitella said...

Hi Melissa,

Don't be afraid. A budget is a wonderful thing that will free you from anxiety, fighting with your spouse and more. It is something we have done for years; the more we stick with it, the easier things are for us. No second guessing purchases, wondering what we are ACTUALLY saving, etc. It has been very good for us.

We recently had to add several layers of complexity to our food budget. Due to health reasons, we had to eliminate a number of foods (ingregdients like wheat, dairy, soy) and add on the expense of all organic foods. Initially, our food budget doubled, then tripled as we struggled to learn a new way of cooking and eating. But after a bunch of months, I have gotten it back under control and close to what we used to spend.

If you want to get all analytical about it, as my husband did, I would suggest a spreadsheet that calculates the expense of each meal and determines which one is the best value for your doller. This one is a definite email off-line. If you are more casual (or just afraid of getting that close to the budget!! yikes) you can do meal planning. Having a plan for each week, including sncks, gives you a good idea of what to purchase and when. You can take advantage of sales, buy food online or at a local farm. There are a lot of options.

If you want more of a chat, please feel free to email me.

Best of luck!!!
Heather

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Lina said...

Back in the day coupons were plentiful...I had fun as a young wife cutting coupons from magazines and the paper and seeing how much I could save...however, I found that I bought stuff I didn't need because I had a coupon. I used to plan menus and make a list too, but found that I wasn't taking advantage of the in-store bargains that way...I'd be married to my list.

What works for me now is to have a repertoire of menus we like and keep a master list of what's needed. I make a list of the staples we need but plan my weekly menu based on what's on sale in the store. By keeping the master list of menus I can check for other items needed. I cook for two usually, as our kids are grown so you could say we are back to newlywed-style meals ~smile~

There is evidence on this blog that you are a very good cook so look at it as a new challenge--to cook great meals on a budget!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eat before you go grocery shopping so your tummy doesn't tempt you to buy something you don't need.

Saving money at the grocery store takes organization and self control. Happy shoppping!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Heather Vitella said...

Hi Melissa,

Don't be afraid. A budget is a wonderful thing that will free you from anxiety, fighting with your spouse and more. It is something we have done for years; the more we stick with it, the easier things are for us. No second guessing purchases, wondering what we are ACTUALLY saving, etc. It has been very good for us.

We recently had to add several layers of complexity to our food budget. Due to health reasons, we had to eliminate a number of foods (ingregdients like wheat, dairy, soy) and add on the expense of all organic foods. Initially, our food budget doubled, then tripled as we struggled to learn a new way of cooking and eating. But after a bunch of months, I have gotten it back under control and close to what we used to spend.

If you want to get all analytical about it, as my husband did, I would suggest a spreadsheet that calculates the expense of each meal and determines which one is the best value for your doller. This one is a definite email off-line. If you are more casual (or just afraid of getting that close to the budget!! yikes) you can do meal planning. Having a plan for each week, including sncks, gives you a good idea of what to purchase and when. You can take advantage of sales, buy food online or at a local farm. There are a lot of options.

If you want more of a chat, please feel free to email me.

Best of luck!!!
Heather

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:03 PM , Blogger MichelleT said...

My best advise (as a married, SAHM to 3 boys) is to plan your menus for the week in advance and shop with a list. It cuts down on a trip to the store for this and another one for that where we end up grabbing whatever catches our eye. Also, a few years ago I began to use an "envelope system" and pay cash for groceries and personal items (haircuts, makeup etc). That has also helped me to stay within my budget -- at least much more so than I did before.

That "B" word is still a painful one for me, but I try. =)
~Michelle

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM , Blogger Dee said...

I have been married for 30 plus years and my husband, bless his heart, is still trying to get me on a budget!!

What I have done for quite some time and now my adult daughters are doing it as well, is I keep a calendar in the kitchen and on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon once a month, I sit down and go through my cook books and cooking magazines and write down the meals and the location of each recipe I want to prepare for each day I do that for the entire month or at least for two weeks at a time. I write down on the calendar any appointments that I know of so I will know if I will be home in time to cook that evening or maybe I will need to prepare something the day before.

Then on grocery shopping day, I have the recipes at hand to make my list with. I try to plan two for one meals...you know a Roast on Sunday and Italian beef sandwiches with the leftovers on Wednesday.

If on a Tuesday you don't feel like Tacos you planned, but want the chicken breast you planned for Thursday, then so be it!! You can be the master of your own menu destiny.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is an official 'bean counter' as we fondly say. He does budgets for a living and needless to say, he has ours on a spread sheet! BUT I really love the feeling or 'no guilt' feeling of spending money, say on clothes.., when I know it came from the 'clothing fund' and I am not depriving anyone else.
Back to food....
1. Making out a menu-and stick to it. BE ABLE to tell people that you can't go out to eat "It's not in the budget right now".
2. USE LEFTOVERS - not necessarily as the 'same' dish but as a different one--IE: Roast on Sunday and with the leftovers make BBQ sandwiches or beef and noodles, etc
3.Go through ALL of your pantry, freezer, and canned goods and get a real grip on what is in the house already. Make a menu based on what you already have and just "fill in" by going to the store.
4. Do you have an ALDI's near you?
They have off brands at real discounts.
5. Most of us eat too much ,so --read labels and go by portion sizes--Did you know a can of green beans is supposed to feed 3 adults?
6. only buy frutis and veggies that are IN SEASON. Out of season ones cost a bundle.
7. Don't use coupons just to use them. If it's not a 'regular' thing you would use; then don't be tempted just because it's 50 cents off . However, if you get laundry soap, toothpaste, battery coupons and go on the DOUBLE COUPON DAYS you can get them for almost free.
HOPE THESE EASE THE CRUNCH A LITTLE, My daughter just got married and this is fresh on our minds too.
God bless you and maybe your hubby could check out "Financial Peace University" for the ultimate in envelopes!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Julia said...

A friend of mine - www.30dollarweeklygrocerychallenge.blogspot.com - does coupons and helps put together deals for people - - basically she is doing the work for you... trying to feed her family of three for only $30 a week... She will help:)

I am not good at it though - so, I defer to her!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM , Blogger God's girl 68 said...

Three simple letters

PBJ

Really - Buy meat in bulk and early (6-8 a.m.)when butchers are trying to get rid of the day old meat. It is still good and often sold at a great discount. Immediately divide and freeze it for future use. If you are really motivated, cook the meat before you freeze it for easy thaw and prep in dishes such as spaghetti, chicken & rice, etc. Saves time.

That is about it from a home with 3 boys from 15 to 17. Our grocery bill is more than our mortage despite all efforts to cut back.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Little Lamb said...

I have grown to enjoy budgeting over the past few years and part of my New Year plan was to start spending only cash on all my "flexible" items. (ie groceries, entertainment, gifts) It certainly makes you think about what you are buying and when you see the cash actually disappearing it makes you slow down. Plus you have to stop and reload your wallet before you go out.

If you plan you meals for the week and stick to one trip to the store a week it will help cut down the costs. And those green bags that Maria was telling you about are great. (being single things tend to stay in the fridge longer) :)

I'm trying to learn that being a good steward with the money God has blessed us with (no matter how little) is a great thing.

All the best! ~Rachel~

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Oh Melissa, I swear by the grocery game. Go to thegrocerygame.com and sign up. Colin might not go for the $10.00 a month per store fee, but I love it. The idea is to stockpile. **You do have to be able to not be brand loyal. The list will tell you (when you print it out everything is color coded) what is a good deal ONLY IF YOU NEED IT, what is an amazing deal and you should buy several of them to stockpile, and what is free. Yes free. Now a lot of the time, what is free is like a can of catfood, which, if you don't have a cat (I don't) doesn't help. But it is fun to see what is free. The idea is that the sales are on a cycle and (I forget what the cycle is - 10 weeks, 12 weeks) that by buying those things at bargain prices, once you complete the cycle, you'll only be running to the grocery store for milk, eggs, produce, stuff like that. It's fun and you can pick your store (or pick more than one if you like - they even have Walgreens and CVS on there) and each week on Sunday, there will be a new list available. The "sales" are only guaranteed untli Tuesday, so you'll need to shop by then. A lot of the sales listed at the grocery game aren't advertised. It will also tell you if, say, Randalls is having a sale on "X" - buy two get one free - only get one. They tell you what is the best deal. You can also cut coupons and they will tell you which coupons to use, from which week's circular - so just because you cut a coupon today for, say, Uncle Ben's rice, and you NEED rice, they may not tell you to use it. Later, you may use the coupon and save twice as much. It's amazing. I have several friends who also use it ans swear by it. I do it without the coupons (although I keep meaning to start!) because I am terrible at clipping. But I still save tons. I also make a menu and stick to it. My husband and I would hemand haw over what to make, and at 6:00 pm, after working all day, McDonalds sounded the best because it was fast. That has ended. If it says Tacos tonight, I make Tacos and I'll love it. Takes the guesswork out of it.
ANother thing I do is when I buy meat, I'll separate it into Ziplock bags and freeze it. Like if I buy a package of bacon, I'll divide it up into 6 slices in each bag and freeze the individual baggies in one freezer bag so I'll only defrost what we need. My husband thought that was brilliant. Tonight we're having pork tenderloin and I had cut the tenderloin in two and frozen both pieces. this morning, I took one of them out to thaw so when I get home, (or if my husband wants to start before I get home!) there is no guessing. I think this turned into a novel, but hope at least part of it helps you!! Good luck with the *gulp* budget!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

for sure use a list - it helps guard against impulse purchases! I use relishrelish.com ( an awesome menu planning website and it makes your grocery list too and the best part is the the meals are amazing!) and I love it. It helps tons and saves me from buying food I don't need and less goes to waste.

happy shopping :-)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coupons are a great way to save money, but only use them on items that you would buy normally. Don't use a coupon for just the sake of using one, that can actually cost you more money. Also buying in bulk does not always save you money, sometimes it is actually a better value to buy smaller amounts. I would not scrimp on items like fresh fruits and vegtables, these are healthy and when they are in season, enjoy them. Cut back on items like soda, unhealthy snacks like cookies, chips, etc. When my husband and I were fist married we would make $100 cover all food for a month. (That was in 1984 and I know that the cost of food has gone up) Now that was a challenge, but we only bought what we needed and reserved the extra stuff for special times. Store brands are good, but only if you like them. For instance, I am PICKY about my soup, so for me the brands I like I buy, but on things like cleaning products, ask around and give some less expensive items a try. Make a Grocery List and do not stray from the list. Also NEVER EVER GO TO THE GROCERY STORE HUNGRY!! (I also had another rule and that was to leave my dear husband at home because he always found stuff he wanted and we spent more money) Plan you meals for each day and then make your list from that so you are not buying items you do not need and are not going back to the store for items you don't have and then impulse spending because "you are there". I know a budget is hard to live by, but it really is the best way to begin a marriage. Money trouble is one of the biggest arguments that married couples have and money trouble can make for some difficult times. Hang in there honey, I know it is hard, but remember that God promises us that are needs will be met, not always our wants. I think that goes for groceries as well. Pray before you go to the store and ask God to help you in your decisions in grocery shopping as well. You will do great and believe me, this can be fun if you decide to make it so. You are doing great!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a high school foods and nutrition teacher and therefore grocery shop for a living! I'm at the store all the time and teach my students about grocery stores and how they 'get' you to purchase certain items. Some might disagree, but here's my advice:

1. Know what your food budget is for the month. Put cash in an envelope -- once the food money is gone you're done. It forces you to think about what you're spending, but still allows the freedom to purchase a nicer food item if you're still within budget for the month.

2. It is a fact that MOST people that clip coupons spend more money...so, unless you're going to be one of the exceptions, don't take the time.

3. Plan your meals. People always spend more when they don't plan.

4. Buying in bulk isn't always cheaper...sometimes, yes, but a lot of times it appears cheaper but is just more convenient. Because there are only 2 of you, bulk is not always the best choice unless you have an extra freezer in your basement.

5. Shop the European way when farmer's markets, etc. are available. When you buy fresh produce and just the amount you need for a certain meal, you're more likely to use it and spend less money.

6. Make food from scratch. You seem to enjoy cooking. Processed and packaged foods are costly because of the packaging and convenience. Choose to take the time to make food from scratch and you'll save $$.

7. Don't fall to the 'I need a pantry full of food' syndrome. Most of the time we stockpile our cupboards and then items expire before we use them. It's nice to have things on hand if you use them often, but if you're planning your meals and shopping with a plan, you shouldn't need a huge stockpile.

I think that's enough for now! :-)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Jules (Sporty Mama) said...

Ellie Kay wrote a great book called 1/2 Price Living. She is a Christian author who provides excellent tips on saving and on stewardship. She also has a website www.elliekay.com with great links to coupon sites!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM , Blogger danne said...

Hey Melissa,
I just watched the lady on tv yesterday that started thegrocerygame.com and it looked awesome. She has also written a book on how to save money at the store. You would be the perfect one to try it out, since you are such a great cook. If you do try it will you post and let us know how it went? I'd love to try it and see if it works! Good Luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We keep a magnetic list on the refrigerator and write down the things that we run out of and use often. I make weekly menus. I make my grocery list using the menus and the magnetic list and go to the grocery with my list in hand and try really hard not to be tempted to buy things that are not on my list.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Thankfully I don't have to do a lot of grocery shopping yet, so I don't have any money saving ideas to share! But that "budget" word is a really good idea for 2009. I don't even want to think about my credit card bill - I just bought this sweet road bike that I can't afford and I'm regretting it already. Maybe my next scripture for this year will address stewardship.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has worked best for me is a weekly menu. Make a grocery list with just the items needed for your weekly menu plus buying fruits/veggies. Make enough dinner so that you have plenty for lunches the next day. You will be absolutely amazed how much you will save by making a menu. I shop Wal-Mart...they offer the best prices.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Leslie Maddox said...

I'm still learning grocery skills myself, but I can tell you what NOT to do:

1. DON'T go to the grocery store hungry. You'll buy everything in sight.
2. DON'T throw your food just anywhere in your fridge or pantry. When you have an unorganized food system at home, you don't know what you have. Case in point - when my mother helped us pack to move into our new house, she found at least three bottles of olive oil. Oh the shame.
3. DON'T buy family size packages of anything. Since it's just me and my husband (for now - we're expecting our first), we've found that we let food go bad or just get bored with it before that big family-size package is gone.
4. DON'T run out of food. Because that's a perfect excuse to go out to eat or order in. Then if you're too busy/tired to get to the grocery store for several days, you end up eating out a lot and spending tons of money. I know of what I speak.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I liked your question-dodging tactic. Since I'm a designer, maybe I could use some designer/trade lingo to dodge a potentially lethal husband question.

I cannot mentor you, because I am in the exact same boat! How in the world do I spend so much at the grocery store?!?!?! My mother reminds me to "stay on the perimeter" meaning, just buy things on the perimeter of the grocery store (the UNprocessed foods, ie fruits, veggies, meats, bread) and I will be healthier as will my wallet.

Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

I just want to know if Colin is also collecting his receipts and if you get to review them.

Mutual submission being the real point in Ephesians 5 and all. ;-)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Hi Melissa,
All these ladies have excellent ideas! I, too, shop only every couple of weeks (and I have a family of 5 going on 6). I plan a menu and buy only those things; planning the menu includes planning for leftovers. Look at those circulars so you can see what might be a particularly good deal when you're there, and take advantage of it! I also make use of the freezer so that no food is wasted (including buying larger quantities of food that is on sale). Store brands and coupons are great, and frozen produce is your friend! Like others, I write my list and do not deviate, no matter how tempted I might be!!!

I also have friends and relatives who have had lots of success with the Grocery Game, so you might give that a try.

As a fellow warrior in the trenches of financial discipline, let me encourage you: You can do it!!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

I feel your pain girl! I had to do the "cash in an envelope" system for all my bills when my oldest child was newborn. What really worked for me, was taking my well thought out list, calculator, and CASH. You really can not spend what you do not have...in your wallet. (which is why I keep my credit card on ice...literally in my freezer compartment... a hilarious fact that my friends never cease howling over...)
I recal having some serious prayer time in the checkout lane as I watched the items scanning, begging the Lord to please keep the total under a certain amount!... He always did.)
Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

I love the two for one deals. I check the flyers on Wednesday and see what we USE and LIKE and I buy them and store them. Once you stock up a little your pretty much just buying your fresh meats, veggies and fruits weekly...your pantry is full of stuff that you truly did get one free. Since you don't have a college student like I do that stops by to pick up the FREE one you should be saving money in no time!
Way to go girl! I love your enthusiasm!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

I agree with www.moneysavingmom.com She has awesome tips and deals that have really helped me tremendously! I'm not as thrifty as she is, but she is able to feed her family of 4 and soon to be 5 on $40-60 a week!! Normally, it's $40, but she's upped it to $60 for her pregnancy. She is very encouraging!!! Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't go in the stores. Can't spend money if you're not there.

:-)
Chris

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM , Blogger R said...

-i buy my meats and frozen veggies at Costco and then separate them and freeze them into portions we'd use for one meal.

-whole chickens are way cheaper than breasts, so i buy those when i can.

-at the end of the month, i try to see how long i can go without buying more groceries. i work with just what i have in the fridge, pantry and freezer to clean it out! it's a win-win...i get de-cluttered spaces and i save money!

-i have started buying store brands, but a lot of people have mentioned that.

-i know some stores offer a price match policy, so all you have to do is research what's on sale at other stores and bring in their sale fliers to the price matching store. i don't do this, but i have lots of friends who do!

-i, too, am a meal planner and really enjoy the freedom it gives us. i like to do Org Junkie's Menu Plan Monday, where you can see hundreds of other ladies' menu posts for the week. it gives a lot of inspiration!

-we love desserts here, and i'm not above boxed cake or brownie mixes, etc., so when they're on sale i'll stock up. i make sure to always have a box of brownie mix, a cake mix box and a complementary frosting in my pantry just in case. then i'm not spending too much money on bakery goods when i get cravings! it's also nice to keep them on hand so you can be obedient to the Spirit's leading if you know someone needs a meal or pick-me-up treat to bless them. :0)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:27 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

coupons, super walmart, and as painful as this one is, especially for me, pay attention to serving sizes. you would be amazed at how long food would last if you would eat according to serving sizes. oh and if you buy presliced deli meat, like the hillshire selects, it says a serving size is 6 slices and it has 3 per package, but 3 slices is enough for a sandwhich and then you'll get lunch for 6 days. and get a sam's club or costco membership....especially for salads and fruit.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Barnes Fam said...

Okay so my hubby is the same way, and since we married a couple of years ago we have literally squashed all of our spending to the tightest it can possibly get- and here's what I've found to really help grocery-wise (clothes-wise I pretty much just hit up Nordstrom Rack and the outlets to save on cost but still get cute name-brand stuff). It saves money and time.
Each Sunday afternoon I make a menu plan for the week- what will we eat for breakfast, lunches, dinner & snacks. I love to cook but I try to limit myself to mostly meals that have fewer ingredients or ingredients that I can use for another meal and herbs/spices that I already have. Then I'll do usually one big fun meal a week. Then I make a shopping list of everything I'll be needing for the week, price it all out to make sure it fits the budget, eat (don't go on an empty stomach) and head out to buy only the stuff on my list. Then, I only have to shop once a week, we have all the food we need, and we're not wasting stuff which is where I think most money is wasted. I do buy mostly organic but make up for the extra cost by trying to buy the generic brand when I can. Anyway, hope it helps! -Amy in CA

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I feed 3 men in my house. So I go to Sam's A LOT, which would be overkill for the two of you, but they do have milk, eggs, bread,OJ, etc. at SUCH lower prices. You can also get really great cuts of steak there and we buy the boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts and use them throughout the month in recipes or on the grill or whatever.

I also double recipes and freeze one. This has saved my scrawny neck more than once when cooking didn't enter my mind until 6pm. And though its not my fave, I shop at Wal-mart supercenter or more my fave, Target supercenter and the savings there are huge compared to say Publix or a smaller Fresh Market kind of place.

At Sam's etc. I can also get my beloved Kashi bars cheap, cheap and other things like spices, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pasta, etc. very cheap. And if any store has the buy one get one free, go there and get just that, it'll pay off later, most of the time...

i do cut coupons here and there and one time saved $30 at the store. It was all I could do not to go to the mall to reward myself, I was so flabergasted. So I think that helps. Oh, one more thing....always make a list and plans your meals if you can...then make the list..then shop, that helps.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I’m trying to save at the market, I stick to the perimeters of the store... meat, veggies, fruits, dairy, that kind of thing. I only go to the middle aisles for the essentials (you know... salsa, tortillas, frozen Four Cheese California Pizza Kitchen pizzas...) And like everyone else said, planning the meals and a list really do help.

I’m a total Foodie, no doubt about it. I love the gourmet, the organics, and the generally overpriced but super tasty! So it’s not good for me to go Whole Foods to shop, but I can get all the core organics/ gourmet foods at SuperTarget or HEB without all the extra goodies.

And did you know that there are entire cookbooks devoted to gourmet dishes with 3 ingredients or less? Some of the BEST meals have a few basic ingredients. If a recipe has anything unusual, it’s likely expensive! So I try to stick to classic, simple recipes.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,
I live in MI and have a GREAT store called Aldi. I don't know if you ever saw them while you were at Moody but I do know that a lot of the food is manufactured in IL. Anyway, in GA, do they have an Aldi by you? I'm not sure if it is that far south or not but you could certainly check. Not everything in that store is FABULOUS, however, there are a LOT of REALLY good things there for MUCH cheaper than brand name. Also, check your local news station web site and see if they have anything that is called or similar to, savingangel.com. That is a resource that is used to literally CUT your GROCERY BILL IN HALF!!! NO LIE!!! It is Awesome!! Basically what it is is a company that pools together all the ads for the week for the local grocery stores, Walgreens and the like, in your area and matches them up with manufacturers coupons. You pay them per month like $19.95, BUT, they have done all the work of finding the best deals for you and all you have to do is print the coupon. I SO HOPE you have a resource like this down your way. I will be praying you do!!
Blessings to you,
Deb W.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM , Blogger Sweet life with boys said...

It sounds like you all are doing a Dave Ramsey envelope kind of thing. My husband and I have been doing the envelope system for 6 years now and even though it sounds VERY SCARY (really) it is SO TOTALLY WORTH it for your marriage! I cannot say enough about this budget/envelope/being good stewards of your money thing!
My advice after 6 years is to plan a menu for the week, use that when making your grocery list, and buy store brand when possible. Good luck and just know that what you are doing will be worth gold for your marriage!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Luanne said...

These are the things that help me. Buy with cash--the old envelope system, thanks Dave Ramsey!! (We did his study at church.)

If I have the budget for the month, and the cash in the envelope, I spend a lot less, knowing I need to make it through the month--I won't spend the 50 cents here and there on Combos or Snickers!

Also, if you are like me, you have plenty of food in the house that doesn't get eaten. Be creative and a few meals a week, make something from the pantry!

Do you have an Aldi store where you live? I save tons going there.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Melissa,
Cutting down on grocery expenses was on my list last year and I definately still have some (or a lot) room for improvement! I have a bad habit of running to the store for a few things and end up spending way too much! The best way I've found to combat it is to do what others have said and plan a weekly menu on Sundays. Just make sure you are realistic about what days you are going to feel like cooking - I get too ambitious sometimes and plan to cook a complicated new recipe on a night that I know I will be working late and end up wasting ingredients b/c I'm too tired to stick to the menu. Especially when cooking/eating with just 2 people, it helps to think about ways to use the same food in different ways so you don't get bored and decide to go out to eat. Instead of making an entire package of ground beef into hamburgers, only make two and use the rest in tacos or spaghetti later in the week.

Also, the bulk bins at Earthfare or Wholefoods are an inexpensive place to buy grains and nuts -- you only have to buy what you need and you aren't paying for the packaging. I also try to buy spices that way too.

Eat in season - if you have a local farmers market nearby there are always better prices on local in season produce than you will find in grocery stores (and it tastes better).

Diet coke is a staple at our house, but I only buy it on sale. A 12 pack of diet coke not on sale is over $5, but the next week they will be 4/$11! I'm not a coupon/flyer watcher, but if something I know we will eat is on sale I stock up.

Good luck with the budgeting!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 32 and I'm single and I have always just bought whatever I wanted at the grocery store. That is until I got a roommate who has grocery shopping down to a science. Coupons...I never looked at them, but now I get a high off of watching the amount go down while scanning them. Coupons.com and couponmom.com...the best. Also, shop the circular and get things on sale. I also started planning out meals that way I know what I am getting.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Gateway School and Learning Center said...

Roast a chicken for dinner. Boil the carcass to make 6-8 cups of the best homemade stock to freeze. Use as a base for future soups. Use leftover chicken meat for that soup or for casseroles or chicken salad.

Brown rice is so good. We like the organic brown rice in the big (20 lb?) bag from Costco.

I have a Mennonite cookbook called More With Less and while it's really dated, it contains bunches of good recipes used by missionaries on limited budgets.

Don't be afraid to substitute items in recipes using what you have instead of needing to run back to the store to buy a special ingredient.

Eat less meat, more beans. There are so many tasty recipes out there these days. My family eats meatless about three times a week.

Sometimes grilled cheese is as satisfying as a four course meal.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a hard time with budgets myself. I used to be a lot better than I am now. But, here is what I try to do:
1) plan my menu for the week and shop by that.

2) Shop at Samm's Club and buy in big lots and separate into freezer bags (example: 5 lb. pkg of hamburger meat and split into 1 lb. each and freeze).

#2 actually does save me a lot of money in the long run. By buying in quantity, it is cheaper.

3) Most store brands are not bad and I buy the Wal-Mart brand (if your store sells food) whenever possible.


Hope this helps!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm delurking to comment! ;D

The Grocery Game

Join. You won't be sorry.

I've been using The Grocery Game since last April and have saved thousands of dollars. I'm not joking! Of course, I do have five kids . . . .

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I am newlywed. Married in Sept. 07 and I have never followed a budget. The change in political parties is rendering my husband jobless on Jan. 20th. I will then face the cold reality of a budget. Your post is an encouragement to me. I am reading my siesta's comments with internal moaning and groaning. Good for you for having a positive spirt about the whole thing. I all I've been able to muster so far is dread.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa Girl, I would love to offer my oh so wonderful menoring skills for the grocery but I like your mom stay away from them. I hate cooking!!!

I will offer this to you for your envelopes. For years and years I have done the envelope system but a bit different....way before I knew it was the thing that financial experts reccomended...I came up with it on my own and am convinced they stole it from me...ummm...can I capitilize on this somehow...

So....I get a shoe box and it just so happens that a regualar envelope, not legal, fits perfectly in it and I lable each one....Tithe,Dentist,Rx, Magazines,Car,Christmas,B-day, Cleaners, Taxes etc...whatever your "budget" has in it. These are for your regualar reoccuring expneses.

I then see how much I spend each month on those subjects and divide it by four since I am paid weekly. I.E. Car expense (not payment...oil changes, XM RAdio etc)$20 month / by four...=$5 a week..but you say we have 52 weeks and this is only 48 weeks...those four times a year (this month) we get an extra pay check it goes to savings or emergency, hopefully not catch up but...

So, now you are budgeting even for those little things. Dont' worry if you dont' have all your money each month at least you have a good part of it. I even inlcude vacation, weekend away, Film Developing.....

I also use a ledger...I write down all my expneses divided into catagoreis to see where my money is going. You'd be surprised how much those packs of gum add up!!

I pay everything by credit card but I also pay it off each month. I never carry a balance. So each week I get cash and when I purchase something I put the cash in another envelope and write paid beside it in the ledger.

Now I wont' tell you this is perfect or that i never mess up, I do!! But I promise it does help you budget and to see where you spend the most and where you can cut back.

Hope this gives you some good ideas! Maybe you can come cook and give me some tips and I'll trade financial tips with you. I know you want to visit the beautiful Ozark Mountains!

Have a great week!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Aunt Tea said...

a word about store and bargain brands...slowly experiment. some of these items are fab. better than the name brand. a few you just don't want to buy again. same brand, different item. some are fine for most things but not for everything. ie mayo, bargain brand real mayo is fine on sandwiches, but in potato salad, not worth the savings.

warehouse shopping can save you but you need to compare prices, because it's not always a savings, and you need to PLAN, because you might just double your spending instead of saving.

coupons...you will likely either love them or HATE them. i hate them. i feel guilty for it but for me they breed clutter and confusion.

sometimes you can challenge yourself. set a dollar limit a bit below your actual limit. if you come out under your limit you can put the difference in an envelope and save up for a guilt free luxury... grocery, starbucks or nordstroms. (or hubby's next birthday present)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Sherri said...

Melissa, why oh why oh why do you feel the need to share every stinkin' thing? :-) Inevitably God will jab me in the ribcage WITH HIS ELBOW (have you ever felt God's elbow??) and say, "Yeah, what she said!" Grrrr, this one is no exception. Thanks a lot Colin!!!!! I'm gonna have to start doing this again. {{Sigh}}

When I'm being good, which I haven't been for a long time and my bank account can bear that out, as can my trip to the grocery store, JUST TODAY!....anyway, when I'm being good, the weekly/monthly menu and then a shopping list made from that menu and strictly adhered to, ..that's important... has really worked well. Store brands and coupons are a big help too. Unfortunately my Dr. Pepper and chocolate covered peanuts don't make the shopping list when I base it on a menu...

ya know, how many areas of her life can one woman work on at one time!!!

Happy planning!
Sherri

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

bless your heart, Melissa. I can help....lots of practice. married 27 years, now an empty nester, so I know how to shop for 4 and now two again. we've always had a budget (you'll get use the word) I use to hate it to, now I consider going to the store and saving $ an adventure. It's like getting a deal. you come out of the store, read the receipt and see how much you saved...start with menus and a list....compare prices, (not the whole shelf, just the store brand and what's on sale that week) read the ads, and use coupons. coupons are tricky, though, read them carefully and don't buy stuff you are not going to use. It's okay to splurge...I buy Dreyer's low fat ice cream,,,it's the thing I pay full price on....you can do this Melissa....i've taught my kids how and they can do it since their on their own now. Do you have a Trader Joe's in Atlanta??? it's got some deals and you can save $ there...I'd love to help...I can send you weekly tips if you want. blessings...pam in San Diego

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Taylor said...

Melissa, I'm 22, not married and dont spend much time in the grocery store, but this post is great!! I will be taking notes for the future.

Much love to you, your mom, and Amanda!

:: Taylor

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are a few ideas for you:

1-Check the sale papers each week. If you take the papers to Wal-Mart with you, they will match the prices of other stores' sales (that would give you one stop shopping!)

2-Frozen Vegetables are a great bang for your buck! I especially like frozen broccoli (after it's cooked, of course!!)

3-You may want to use a smidge of your budget & invest in a deep freezer. That way, when there is a fantastic sale on something that you use a lot, you could buy extra & store it in your freezer.

4-Don't buy name brand. Most all store brand/generic/off-brand items are just as good. If you eat a lot of cereal, a really good brand to try is Malt-O-Meal. I think it tastes exactly like the name brand cereals.

5-Coupons are great. I hope you're not like me with them though, because I clip them, forget I have them & then they expire. :O(

Last, but not least....when all else fails....when no money is left in the budget....there's always Ramen noodles!!! LOL!!

Good luck with your shopping!!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Cheryl Barker said...

Melissa, I love the image of you fleeing Nordstrom :)

I think the best thing I do to save at the grocery store is to make a list and stick to it. I don't wander around looking at things or even take notice of other things. Just get in and get out! :)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa - I have been married for 18 years. My husband has ALWAYS asked where every penny goes. Each month, I account for cash spending, credit card spending etc. Every item is catagorized and each month, I get a print out of where I am over/under budget and if any adjustments need to be made. This was SHEER TORTURE for me at first and I did not exemplify wifely obedience at first. Ok. At first for YEARS! But eventually, I understood the need for both obedience and for fiscal accountability and management, and have come to fully appreciate the budget process in our home. It has allowed my husband and I to plan and dream together, and has taken one of the biggest issues (fights) off the table for our marriage. I highly encourage all couples to *budget* together. Like parenting, it takes both of you to be responsible. And the blessings that flow from the process of working together toward your goals are a great joy.

As for your grocery question, I can offer the following:
If you need to shop in person, shop at the warehouse stores and appreciate the bulk savings. Be careful tho as these can be dangerous places with many not needed items to tempt you.

Another tip, is to shop on a full stomach. You won't be tempted to grab junk food if you are satisfied. Sounds simple but it really does work.

Lastly, if available in your area, go for grocery delivery. It may cost a few dollars for delivery, but you will save by getting ONLY what is on the list you order. Preordering also helps with meal planning for the week/month.

God Bless you, yoru family, and your budget. :-)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:44 PM , Blogger NodakVal said...

The easiest solution ever. Go to www.e-mealz.com, sign up for one of their menu plans. It's $1.25 a week for the service. They give you a menu, the instructions on how to prepare the (simple and super tasty) meal, AND a shopping list for everything you'll need for that week's menu. My husband and I went from spending $125 - $150 a week on groceries, to spending between $50 and $75 a week. We cut our budget IN HALF! Plus the meals are simple, healthy, and tasty, and customized to your liking/store, etc. It's seriously the greatest site ever. Next to blogger.com, that is. ;o)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Immeasurably More Mama said...

1. Menu Planning
2. Make a shopping list and stick to it.
3. Clip coupons and pair them with sales at grocery stores.
4. Start playing the CVS and Walgreens Game to save BIG on household supplies...more details on this at moneysavingmom.com
4. Check out these websites for expert advice on this topic...
moneysavingmom.com
dealseekingmom.com
hotcouponworld.com
5. Also couponing can be made a lot easier if you register for a membership at thegrocerygame.com

Hope this helps, Melissa! I've had to learn how to stretch our dollars now that I'm a stay-at-home mom to our 11 month old foster son...it's actually A LOT of fun!!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM , Blogger jennyhope said...

Well, I would tell him no more gourmet meals from Chef Melissa that from now on spaghetti every night. Just kidding. I clip coupons, go get buy one get one free stuff. you can take all of your ads to walmart and they will compare any sale as long as it isn't buy one get one free. I know a lot of you don't like Walmart but I am about saving the money.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to immediately go to fiddledeedeeblog.blogspot.com

This girl has all the great deals at Publix!! (Some are with printable internet coupons!!)

Also, check out www.thethriftymama.com

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

one word: ALDI, that is where the Duggar family shops on the TLC show "17 kids and counting"

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM , Blogger The Farmer's Wife said...

You WOULD bring this up! I struggle with the groceries, because I live a long, long way from the grocery store (try 30 miles to the nearest one) and I always think there may be a puff pastry emergency or that, may in fact, be the last box of Reeses cereal that will be shipped to Montana. It could happen.
You've had a lot of good tips, here. I agree with those that say make a menu, go with a list, and plan, plan, plan. I've done it, and it works. It hurts, but it works.
Here's my big tip: (Brace yourself.) Buy foods that have many uses, beyond the obvious. Rice can be a side dish, a dessert, breakfast, filler in casseroles, etc. There's a reason it's one of the things they send to countries that need help. Roast beef can be Sunday dinner, Monday sandwiches, Tuesday with gravy. You get the idea. Frozen chicken breasts, pasta, bananas...all multi-purpose foods.
The other thing about this is that eventually Colin will get sick of rice and roast, and urge, nay, BEG you to buy something else!
Pay attention to these other ladies, though. They are a thrifty bunch and I'm taking notes, myself.
Good luck, Melissa!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM , Blogger All Things Considered said...

Let's see. Always shop with a list and STICK TO IT! I'm not sure what your selection of stores is in Atlanta, but when I really want to be frugal - I shop at Walmart. I'm not a coupon shopper, but Walmart (at least here) honors every other store's coupons and specials. It's work though to read the ads and make a plan. *sigh* And you have to avoid the temptation of the rest of the store. I can blow my budget big time with just one walk through the card section or housewares or electronics...Check in with Dave Ramsey. He always has good ideas! I'm praying for you sister!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,
The best advice I have is for you to continue cooking the wonderful meals you have been. Use fresh ingredients when you can, make a double of lasagne and freeze one, for example. Make enough at dinner to send leftovers with your husband for lunch. You can really save money by being a great cook and limit restaurant spending (lunch for Collin, eating out after work, etc.) You have already demonstrated your culinary excellence. Don't buy inferior ingredients. Buy what is in season and enjoy it!!
Cut back on eating out and I bet Collin will not say a word about the groceries :)

Good luck!
Vera, in Tremont

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I'm so glad you asked about saving money. That was my goal in 2008 and now I'm trying to teach some friends and family the best ways to bargain shop. Check out my blog if you're interested!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Meal plan.- do it with the grocery sales flyer on your desk and incorporate the sales.
- If that scares you half to death google 'meal planner' and use whichever website you like best. Most will give you a shocking amount of info and let you plan for anything
-Build your grocery list from the meal plan. If it is not on your llist DO NOT buy it
-Learn to enjoy eggs from around the world: omlettes, quiche, fritattas etc.
-1 to 2 nights per week intentionally make left overs for brown bag lunches. Double up your prep once in a while and stick a home made meal in your freezer - way cheaper than store bought
-shop the "outside ring" of store. Fruits, veggies, and unprocessed meats and dairy
-There are only two of you - avoid Sam's Club and Costco
-Decide if you can go to an outstanding restaurant once in a while for food inspiration
-Epicurious.com the site for Gourmet magazine is free and fullof fantastic information. Keep a running list of exoctic ingrediants and try to pick them up when they come on sale

Great- the journalist in me has made that sound really stern. My Mom of 5 voice would like to remind you a little ice cream can go a long way.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 5:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shopping for my husband and I, we have a routine with meals especially breakfast & our work lunch (cost is nearly always the same on these meals each week) The other meals we buy store brands, buy the items that are on sale in the newspaper, & use coupons. We purchase some of our favorite things to keep a balance. On household items, we usually go to a "discount" store or sometimes buy store brand.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well here is one more.

Take any item you buy regularly and multiply its price by the number of times you buy it a year. (ex I buy 4 gallons of milk per week @ 3.50/gallon x 52 weeks=$728/year in after tax dollars) That means I need to earn a thousand pre-tax dollars to keep my kids in milk.
Do that with everything you buy repeatedly and ask yourself - Is this worth it?

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I buzzed thru the comments quick and saw that people pretty much covered it -
1. Plan your menus - even lunches on the weekends.
2. Clip coupons - it's actually kind of fun. Soemone mentioned the Grocery Game. It costs $10 a quarter but it's way worth it to get the most bang for your coupon-ing buck! Seeing that you saved some huge amount of money by matching coupons with store sales and shopping from your own pantry is the idea behind teh whole "game". It works well if you're diligent about it.
3. Stretch veggies with those Stay Fresh bags mentioned early on.
4. If you all are packing your lunches, make them on Sunday afternoons and freeze sandwiches for the week. Makes it much easier in the AM and therefore more likely to stick with it.

Nothing glamorous...just disciplined. Siigghhhhh...no wonder I fall off that wagon so much!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I use an absolute wonderful site http://www.moneysavingmom.com to help me scope out the best deals around. The author, Crystal, does a great job helping others score the best deals at stores like Walgreens, CVS, Target, WalMart, etc. It is worth a look!
Jen

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM , Blogger connorcolesmom said...

Oh Melissa you make me laugh
Let me tell you Dave Ramsey's program is the best I have ever heard and it is pretty simple
Here are some tips:

First make a menu of what you are going to make for the week - make sure to look at the newspaper for any grocery store coupons - that will help you when making your menu

Also clip coupons and know when your local grocery has the best deals - usually on Tuesdays
Publix has some great buy one get one free deals but don't buy it if you do not need it or won't use it

I hope that helps
Good luck!
Kim

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM , Blogger Walking on High Hills said...

The Grocery store budget has increased as my family has grown, but when it was just me and my hubby I did do this and still do; Buy fresh fruit and veggies for your week so they don't go bad and not too exotic and buy in season. (strawberries right now are expensive) (avacados go on sale- so wait to eat then,but otherwise are expensive) - Buy larger meats 2lbs of ground then freeze half and for chicken buy a whole fryer then freeze the rest of what you won't use. Keep up on your prices so when the price is right get it. ex. (4X 1.00 small cans of tomato sauce) instead of 43c a piece.
When bread is on sale get two freeze one. Quantity and volume vs price. I've found everyone sticks you in one way or another so knowing your prices is the best way to avoid paying too much. My husband & I decided we wouldn't pay over (x amount for pop/soda), so if the price isn't right, we don't buy it. "

ok--- lol
happy marriage!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Mati said...

A couple of friends and I picked out our most liked family recipes, and shopped the ingredients to make each of us a dish for every recipe. ( We'd do like 3 or 4 dishes a piece.) We also picked up what we needed for sides, like chips for enchiladas, etc. We got together and cooked on a Saturday, then froze and labeled everything. When we needed dinner we could choose what we wanted and had a variety. Plus we enjoyed tasting each other's recipes. This also narrowed our shopping list during the month and we could buy in bulk. Cooking days are a blast! All the kids running around and friends hanging out. The husbands love it! Although they could never understand after all the cooking why we'd want to order pizza while we cleaned up the kitchen!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Prairie Rose said...

I too have to recommend the grocery game -- I only signed up for ONE period after the free trial and by then I knew enough to keep it going on my own, honestly... of course, I only buy a very limited amount of things as I'm verrrrry routine about what I eat so that helped, I'm sure. Still... it will make the PERFECT mentor for you.

http://www.thegrocerygame.com

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,

My hubby and I are empty-nesters, so with just two of us, we save money on groceries. When the house was full of kids, another story.

The first thing is decide what you will spend on groceries per month. This budget item varies for different families. Some people are more into food than others. My hubby and I are content to eat black-eye peas, cole slaw, candied yam and cornbread for supper. It's wonderful! So we don't have meat every day. We will make a pot of soup every week, and eat that for supper and then lunches. We make a beef stew or pot roast and eat that several times. (Some people don't like leftovers.) We will have a chicken salad supper with lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, bell pepper, and eat the leftovers for lunch. When I make chicken pie, I freeze one half of the mixture for another meal. And of course, when we make spaghetti sauce, this freezes into another meal or two. We eat a lot of veggies and fruits, too. We don't buy very many processed foods but make everything from scratch.

I buy a lot of my basic items from Walmart. Their prices are very good. Then I get the rest from Publix and Kroger. I don't do a lot of coupon clipping, but check out the website: www.couponmom.com. I believe she is a local Georgia woman who initiated this program, and it has lots of helpful tips about grocery shopping. I believe you can print coupons from all the grocery stores from their websites, and some stores will honor other stores' coupons.

This happens to me frequently at Publix -- if the price rings up higher than what was on the shelf, you get that item free. So watch your prices as they ring up, or check your receipt before leaving.

If you are in the Atlanta area, you may want to check out the DeKalb Farmers Market in Decatur. They have very fresh produce, cheeses, eggs, milk, etc. You have to be careful in there too because you can buy more than you need, and then it ends up spoiling. And although I love Whole Foods Market, I avoid this chain, it's too pricey. Have heard it called Whole Paycheck.

So, like the others have commented, plan your meals, and go shopping with the list. Stick to it, unless there are some great sales of items you will use later, and stock up on those. Try to buy things in season, they usually taste better too.

There are certain items in the organic and health food section that I treat myself to, and can afford to do so by trimming the budget in other areas. So, don't feel like that you have to cut out everything you like to meet the budget. Just adjust.

So, Melissa, you can do it! And then take the extra savings and head to Nordstrom for that mighty fine jacket!

Denise, Monroe, GA

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:10 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

One of my girlfriends posted these sites on her blog. They might be of some help! Coupon Coupon Coupon!

Money Saving Mom:
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/

Mommy Making Money
http://sahmmoney.blogspot.com/

Oh to be good stewards of the King's money!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Amy Wood's comment and it made my blood pressure go up just a little...there's a store in my town that sells the same exact cheese as the store she mentioned...it's 7.50 at the mart and 14.00 at the fancy grocery store!!! For the SAME cheese!!! How do they sleep at night??? We need to pray for them....

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:15 PM , Blogger baseballmama said...

I'm sure you've all these already, but I'll go ahead and reiterate what my fellow siestas have already said.
1) Clip coupons
2) Remember to bring said coupons to the grocery store with you
2) Buy store brand whenever possible (my personal favorite is the Target store brand Market Pantry)
3) Try to buy in-season fresh fruit and veggies (especially fruit - have you seen the price of strawberries right now?)
4) Rice or noodles can stretch a measly portion of leftovers into another night's meal
5) Go vegetarian once a week
6) Breakfast for dinner once a week
7) When you find meat on sale, stock up!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM , Blogger bp said...

Use the store brand when possible.

Clip coupons. There are some you can find online too, some stores take them and some don't though. Keep the coupons organized. I go through them before I go in the store and sort the ones that are expired and the ones I will use that trip and put them in a different compartment in my little coupon pouch.

I go to the store every other week. This works with our schedule b/c that is when my husband gets paid. Also it saves gas.

Use cash to pay. You spend less when you pay with cash (Learned this from Dave Ramsey. If you haven't read Total Money Makeover I'd recommend it!!)

Plan meals where you will have leftovers and use that for a meal. Example: When we have spaghetti, we always have extra sauce and meat. I use this in a dish later in the week, like for pizza bake.

These are similiar to what others have said.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right to avoid the mall. What I preach to myself when I'm tempted is, "Taking me to the mall today will be like taking an alcoholic to the bar." I'm actually the Colin of our family but it makes me feel very profound and helps me wrap my brain around the whole budget thing. Grins!

1. I feel lousy saying this, but you might have to cut out the Whole Foods store (in the event you still frequent it-grin).
2.Use coupons (a nuisance until you check out - wow!).
3. Avoid the really junkie stuff like chips, sodas, ice cream, etc. (they really do add up-not just unhealthy).
4. Substitute the "off" brand when it's just as good.
5. My most successful habit: Make a menu and stick to it.
6. Only go to the grocery store twice in a month except for fresh things (milk, produce) or any emergency stuff that can't wait.
7. Buy in bulk and separate to freeze the things that can be frozen.
8. Because I know you like to try new "busy" recipes - as do I - make yourself just choose 1 or 2 of those each month. Ugh, I know!

Those Colins can be boogers when it comes to budgets! Make him proud, girl! Make him proud!

Oh, one more thing...go buy yourself (within the budget) some really fancy envelopes in bright colors with fun designs for the receipts. It'll bring some life to those dreadful things and make you feel better about the whole deal!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM , Blogger PJ Librarian said...

1. Start looking at the grocery store flyers and get a feel for what their sales patterns are. They have them and rotate "loss leader" products each week. These products include meats, produce (try for in season for fresh and frozen steamer bags for out of season), canned and box goods.

2. Plan your menu's and keep track of what you have been making. My mom when we grew up on meager income, kept a notebook and wrote each week's menu out into entree, sides and occasional treats. Once a habit, easier to save.

3. Make your grocery list according to your menu needs. Also, keep a list of scratch items such as condiments, sugar, salt, always use type products, etc. Note the levels and check for sales to keep just ahead of needs to avoid running out.

4. Make use of a crock pot. You can cook double the amount and either have it later that week or freeze for a couple of weeks. Plus, you can buy a bit cheaper cuts of meat and they are very tender.

5. Buy meats on sale in month size quantity. I just found boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.77 a lb. I bought enough for two months since we eat it a lot. Now, I have meals ready to go with little shopping needed.

6. I know many think shopping at Sams, and Costcos saves money, but I have shopped these and found grocery stores usually have better buys when on sale. Costco has a regular 14% mark up on all items. Even buying quantity doesn't save enough if you don't have the space or mouths to feed. Plus, statistic show too many additional purchases are made and negate the savings.

Best of luck. Once the habit is there it stays. I just got back from our local a bit overpriced store and have food for two weeks for $77. It is for a family of 3. I did already purchase my canned and boxed goods at Wal-mart for around $40. So for about $117 I'm ready to go for two weeks including fresh fruit and milk.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Nichole's Mom said...

Ok... Here's my 2 cents. Never go when you are hungry cause you will buy random things that are usually pricy. Also, go early in the morning because that is when they put the mark down stuff out. Like ground beef from the day before or other stuff that is needing sold that day. It's still good, nothing wrong with it, but if your not going to use that day make sure you freeze it.

Also, check the adds, when stuff you like goes on sale buy plenty of it and freeze it, make sure you rewrap it and put it in a zip lock bag, stuff lasts longer. You can also freeze cheese, especially if you are going to grate it, it crumbles a little bit but if you get it on a good enough sale it is worth it!

Don't shop on Friday or Saturday (Sunday is iffy), they mark everything up on those days. Monday's are good, so are Tuesday's. Wednesday is usually the 1st day of the new add.

I could go on, but I have a feeling most of this is listed or will be added. I will say that shopping early in the morning and getting those mark downs is probably my very best advice.

Love you,

Judy

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Marian said...

As some have mentioned, just as with the mall, staying OUT of the grocery store can help.

Which is helped by a suggestion I didn't see as I scanned through comments...
Settle into a repetoire of recipes that you like and stick to at least a majority of the time. Trying new recipes all the time is something many new brides do for obvious and perfectly good reasons, but it does usually lead you to buy more spices and specialty ingredients than you'll ever make good use of.

Then, developing a list of the staples that go into YOUR favorite recipes and staying stocked up on them lets you
--focus on finding good deals on those staples
-- streamlines your focus in the grocery store (less temptation)
--simplifies cooking and makes those last minute trips to the store for a missing ingredient (and this and this and this "since I'm here")less likely
--makes it easier to creatively use leftovers and other good deals that you find (say, a cut of meat that's usually too expensive) Having ingredients handy that are versatile and comfortable for you to work with makes it less likely that you'll waste leftovers or think that you need to search out an elaborate new recipe to use it. You can either just look for a new recipes that use things you already have on hand since you're well stocked up on things that suit your tastes OR you can wing it, which is more likely to turn out well since you're familiar with the flavors of those ingredients you make most often.

Basically, settle in a bit, stock up on good staples. I hope that made sense!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Carla said...

Oh Melissa, how I remember those early days. Now that I am 32 years into it, I would suggest that if you have a freezer, but your meats in bulk, divide into meals( in a freezer bag). I find for a family of 3 grown adults and visitors at least 2 tiomes a week, I only have to buy meats once every 4-6 weeks. Also, planning your meals ahead of time helps. And last but not least, always yake a list to the store with you. You can so it and take Colin with you- it healps if the husband knows it not so easy. good luck, Carla Lee

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:28 PM , Blogger twinkle said...

Somehow you must come up with a reward for yourself IF you stay in budget.

And my best advice for having all my needs met is to tithe from the top. I know some will just turn me off now, but tithing is the most important habit you can get into. For some of you, 10% is impossible right now. But tithe something on a regular basis and keep increasing! And tell God this tithe is your sacrifice to Him and ask Him to receive it from your heart of love for Him. It really kinda has to be a sacrifice...like the Israelites had to offer their best animal...not a sickly one.
I've tried tithing AFTER all the expenses are deducted from my paycheck...and that's ok...but you will not believe how God blesses you when you tithe BEFORE those deductions come out.
And don't give up. Start with what you can.
Now, how is that for mentoring, Melissa? I've told you something really hard. It's not easy to face money concerns in your family by GIVING AWAY money...to church. But I have seen many blessings in my life because of my willingness to take God at His Word.

Malachi 3:10 (English Standard Version)
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need.

Give Him your tithe, talents and time...

Bless your new family, Melissa! And Colin is trying hard to be a good steward. What a blessing you two are to each other!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Holly said...

How much fun, Melissa! I just wrote about this on the Siesta Fiest blog today...I am no mentor, definitely could lead people astray in the financial realm, but I have learned a lot about grocery shopping this past year. And we stick to our budget.

I love your sense of humor--the Potipher comment made me snort! A gentle, delicate snort, of course...

And I have always been like you in the notebook area, I even told your Mom that once many years ago. I love a new notebook and new pens and feeling organized (I also can get ocd with recipts and stuff, like Colin).

Okie Dokie! Well go by the Siesta blog and read this: http://thesiestafiestablog.blogspot.com/2009/01/recipe-talk-grocery-savings-reality.html

Love you!
Holly

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, or at least I remember how painful it was when my husband "required" me to save each receipt - cash, check or credit - so he could record them in a journal. Then he discovered Quicken and he still continues to record every check or credit transaction. I don't know if ever saved us any money, but it sure was a great "fire" starter each weekend when he would delve into my receipts and try to understand what I had spent and for what!

As far as saving money at the grocery store, we find using a warehouse store like Sam's or Costco a great place to make bulk purchases for the things we use everyday. I've also begun purchasing produce and baked goods and dividing them into smaller packages to share with my parents and my husbands parents.

I also try to use coupons as much as possible, especially when the grocery store doubles or triples them.

The other place that I've been able to "rack-up" on great deals is at CVS. If you use their rewards program they will give you money back for your next purchase, plus if you use coupons sometimes you walk out with an arm load for free!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I don't know if they have an Aldi's or Save-a-lot in your area or not, if they do check them out. I have cut our grocery bill in half. I normally spend about $75-80 every 2 weeks for a family of four. I homeschool, so three of us are here all day. I LOVE the Save-a-lot store. Good luck.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:35 PM , Blogger Toknowhim said...

You probably have seen all of these, but I will echo them again..

1. Make a list and stick to it...not one extra item.
2. Make sure you go grocery shopping only after you have eaten...you would be surprised what extra things you might buy when you are hungry...
3. Generics for as much as you can stomach :) There are a lot of things that taste almost the same.
4. Maybe just go to a Grocery Store, not a super store that you may be tempted to buy non grocery items...
5. PRAY before you go :)

Blessings sweet one as you and your husband stick on a budget for 2009 :)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM , Blogger TeriAnnElizabeth said...

Melissa, I need this as much as you do and I'm going to be 50 in June!

I have always liked to avoid the grocery store at all costs as well.
However, now that I am the one at home and assigned to the "hunting, gathering, and preparing", I need help!

Sadly, I have no skills in budgeting at the grocery store or preparing food. Even worse, I have never had a huge desire to aquire them.

What can I say except my own mother didn't learn how to cook from her stepmother who wouldn't let her in the kitchen.

My mother didn't want me in the kitchen because she was OCD with any messes that I would make.

I have no love of cooking ...just eating...but I need to learn simple, healthy and budget!

I'll pray for both of us and read this blog for the tips.

A side note - I would rather listen to my ipod downloads of Dr. Douglas Moo, or Dr. G.K. Beale on Revelations, or read Karen H. Jobes work on "METALEPSIS AND INTERTEXTUALITY IN
GALATIANS"....but my family is hungry for real food.

It doesn't count if you just like to read cookbooks? :-)

Praying for you and others like us that need to budget at the grocery store and everywhere!

Teri

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa do you and your husband like or mind eating leftovers? There are only two of us here so I usually make a big pot of spaghetti/red beans and rice/veg soup, things that stretch out. I usually prepare two or these a week and go back and forth. It really does go a long way and cheap to make. I make simple meals. Hope this will help some. I admire you are doing this. God Bless, Kathie

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:37 PM , Blogger ~Tracy~ said...

I use cupons, got onto the grocerystoregame.. I also still like to eat organic whenever possible, especially the meat products, but it is soooo expensive... Our Kroger has a discount section for stuff that is getting close to the sell or freeze by date... It is best to go in in the morning before everything has been picked over... I have bought organic meat for $1.50/lb. when it is normally $4.99-$5.99/lb... If you don't use it that day just freeze it..

And investing in a deep freezer is a great idea! We got one, and it was from a garage sale, so you don't have to spend a lot...

And regarding other stuff, you save by going at the end of each season.. Like someone wrote earlier regarding Christmas cards, I went to Hallmark a few days ago and bought my Christmas Cards for next year... I got $30+ worth of cards for $8.00... So, you get beautiful cards but you don't pay the price..

I have gone to LifeWay at the end of seasons and bought stuff at 90% off... I bought beautiful Christmas mugs after last season to give as teacher gift, and fill them with stuff.. They were orig. $6.99 and I bought them for .69 cents..

It actually ends up being a lot of fun!

I hope that helps and I hope you have fun SAVING MONEY!!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Not sure I'm the one to ask about saving money at the grocery store. I usually leave frustrated because I spend more than I wanted to. I do try to do a few things to help lessen the blow though.

1. Shop for 2 weeks at a time. Although I have to go back for milk, bread and produce.

2. Make at least 10 days worth of menus and then go through those recipes to make your grocery list.

3. Get a reward card or whatever your grocery store does.

4. Also, I take advantage of the sales....sometimes they have meat "buy one get one free" and I stock up on it and put it in the freezer. And buy the store brand if it's good. Some things I just have to have name brand though.

5. I get something to eat at the deli like fried okra (you know, healthy stuff) to munch on while I'm shopping so I don't buy the store out.

6. This isn't grocery store related, but I freeze leftovers in individual servings so we can have them for lunch or dinners another time.

Sounds like Colin is very squared away and responsible. Gotta love that! When we were newlyweds we didn't even have enough money to budget. :)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Kari said...

I didn't have time to read all of the comments, but I do have a few suggestions! My mom is similar to yours, so I was mostly on my own figuring this out when I got married 3 1/2 years ago :)

1. Buy when things are on sale. Stock up when things are really cheap, and try not to pay full price if you can help it. Have a maximum price that you're willing to pay (i.e. how much per pound for meat, etc) so you know a good deal when you see one!

2. Keep a pantry/freezer inventory. Then when you're stuck coming up with a meal, you can quickly take a peek to see what you already have on hand.

3. Plan your meals. I've found planning each and every meal doesn't work for us, but we have about 5 lunches that we rotate and often we'll list 5 dinners we have available for that week. Then you're not stuck eating fish on Wednesday just because it says so on the meal plan. We like flexibility!

4. Always use a grocery list and stick to it. We try to only deviate from it if it's something we've truly forgotten to put on the list, or if we come across a great sale.

Hope this helps - you can do it! We also track all of our spending (down to the penny), using monthly receipt envelopes and a snazzy spreadsheet that my husband came up with (he's so clever!). At first it was rough slugging, but it gets easier and way more fun as time goes on!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Amy said...

I just L-O-V-E Publix and their Buy One/Get One deals each week. You don't have to buy one AND get one...you could buy one and get it for 50% off...I check that flyer every week...you can also check it online.

SO, for things that I know I will eat or use, I look for them when they are on Buy One/Get One. Even if I don't need it that week, I can put it away until I need to use it (unless it is produce or something that will go bad.)

Seriously...it can be kind of fun.

And hey, can you secretly put the money that you save from being so thrifty in your pocket and save it for the half-yearly sale at Nordstrom? That coat may still be there.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Melissa,

Do you have a Trader Joe's in Atlanta? If so, they are the best bargain around and the quality of most of their food is top notch. The other thing I do is eat vegetarian meals a few days a week (bean burritos on a whole wheat tortilla, vege chili, whole wheat pasta with just about any/all frozen veges, etc) and that saves a lot of money. Also, only use meat as a garnish and not the main event.

Hey, you might benefit from my memory verse: Proverbs 21:5 The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage, but everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

Blessing to all of you, sweet sisters,

Gretchen in Thousand Oaks, CA

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM , Blogger Shelia Rae said...

Try using meat as a "garnish" rather than a main course. Make more meals using milk, eggs, cheese, rather than meat. Experiment with some vegetarian entrees. Also, is there an Angelfood Ministries in your area? Double check your grocery list and your menu plan (if you do such a thing) before you head to the store, to avoid the hassel of having to waste gasoline going back for that one forgotten item. Check the bargain grocery stores that have their own brands; often their items are cheaper even if you use double coupons at the higher priced stores. Save left over vegetables in the freezer and use them up in a homemade soup. Get to-go containers if you have anything at all left over at a restaurant. Find any of the Tightwad Gazette books (they may be out of print but I know you can find them out there), I LOVED them. YOU GO, GIRL!! (I have been a single mom for 12 years so I can vouch for these tips.)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great article, "Saving On Groceries" includes using coupons with link to web sights, cooking from scratch, "meatless" cooking, and much more. From Crown Ministries:

http://www.crown.org/library/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleId=551

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Tricia said...

I plan my menu and make my list accordingly... I also clip coupons and use them, I keep them in a coupon organizer in my purse, and I share coupons with a friend - I give her what I do not want and she gives me what she does not want, so we often get double coupons, which comes in handy if you have to buy 2 of one thing.

If you shop at Wal-Mart you can price match, which saves me lots of money, especially on produce and baby stuff...

I have recently started grocery shopping only every 2 weeks instead of every week and this helps too, you do not buy as many of those impulse purchases...

Hope this helps! You may want to check out grocerygame.com

Blessings!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

CHECK OUT MY BLOG! I link up to many money-saving women who are SO much better than me, and I soak in their wisdom! One, in particular, is Gayle at The Grocery Cart Challenge. Her link is on my blog. She is amazing and has started a revolution, in my opinion!

This must be the resolution/goal of many households this year because everywhere I look, and everyone I know, is talking about it.

It takes dedication!!! But you can do it! I am confident God is calling us wives to really tackle this area of taking care of our homes. This is the one area we have the most control over.

Contact me if you have any questions!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa, I know you just love those VIVA paper towels, but Kroger sells their brand for 69 cents! A savings of a couple of bucks right there!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Gran Jan said...

Melissa: Oh girl - I love you! You can sure write and "exegete" something fine!

I want to give you a few of the pointers I have learned along the way... I know for sure that it takes TIME to save money at the grocery store and you have to decide which is most precious commodity for you - TIME or MONEY!

When I do take the time to coupon I will watch those checkout girls like an eagle eye when they are flipping through my coupons and scanning them. One time a few sort of "fell," and I hollered "hey, hey - watch it there - you dropped some..." :)

Anyway, check the grocery flyers for what's on sale - then make your menus from there. If you're going to cook a roast, make a vegetable-beef soup with the leftovers. It's hard to cook for just two - so plan meals that can go along with your leftover meat - soups/stews, etc.

Don't go to the grocery store HUNGRY!

Stick to your grocery list!

Shop the periphery of the store - that's where the fresh veggies and fruit and meats are. The convenience foods cost the most - but once again - it takes time to save money and you must decide which means the most to you based on "where you are!"

Only use coupons when you know you NEED the item - and sometimes bigger is not cheaper.

Keep a list of what you have in the freezer and or pantry so you can plan and not duplicate!

Lastly - ENJOY life - God owns it all - money is just a TOOL for us to use. Give generously and know that you are inscribed on the palm of His Hand (Isaiah 49:16).

I sure love you girl,
Georgia Jan

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Melissa- no advice from me... just be encouraged to know you're not the only one who had the "we can do better" talk! My husband is a finance major, and quite the saver... me, on the other hand, I believe in doing my share to "help the economy" and SHOP! :) If you get any good advice, pass it along...

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:57 PM , Blogger kellybollman said...

Hey Melissa!
Stick to the LIST!!!
I'm a single mommy of 2... and when you don't have money - you just don't have money, and it's amazing how you'll just eat a hot dog or pb sandwich when that's what you've got. Make a list based upon how much money you want to spend. Then DO NOT BUY MORE THAN 2 THINGS THAT ARE NOT ON THE LIST. When you run out of food, cook the pasta and rice and other junk left in the pantry... mix up some stuff to make it taste good. You won't starve and you'll save megabucks.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa and Siestas,

Thanks for all your great ideas. I am currently unemployed and this post is a big help. Of course, being single helps too... :) And, I'm debt free - turned 40 this year. I always say it only took me 40 years... PTL!!

Much love,
Sharon
Charlotte, NC

 
At January 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Donna said...

I've seen some references to the grocery game. It's wonderful! I've been playing since August and I've been able to cut at least $200 from my grocery budget. (I do have 3 children, so it's not just the 2 of us.) After you have done it for a while, you might want to try it on your own, but it's worth the time I save not having to match all of the sales and coupons to use the site. We also only use cash. We use the Dave Ramsey system and it's been life-changing for us.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Hi Melissa! Here are some things that help me save $ at the grocery store. Hope they help you!

First: Call ahead to your favorite grocery stores and ask a few questions about their policy's. (Make sure to write these answers down.) Ask them if they honor coupons. Also check to see if they price match other competitor's ad's. (Most time you must bring your ad with you to the store to prove it.) Check to see when they run specials such as "2/$4" that if you must buy both items to get the price at $4 or can you just buy one item and it will be still onsale for $2 or does it go back up to it's original price. (Um, I hope you get that. Kind of a jumbled mess.) Ask if they give rainchecks as well. One last thing to find out is what their policy is if an item is priced wrong. Here in Ontario, if the item is under $10 you get that item free!! It's so great! Ohter stores do things like that your comp you in some way. Definatly ask beforehand so you are armed with that info.

Then get grocery flyers. Go through the ads each week...taking note of when the ads go into effect. Here is the key to really saving money. Write down what is onsale FIRST and THEN make your meal plan accordingly. No sense in planning a dinner around beef when chicken is really onsale.

Then meal plan. Write down each day and then the meal that you'd like to serve. Also think about breakfasts and lunches. Write on your grocery list all of the ingredients needed as well.

Shop your cupboards, fridge and freezer. You may have a bunch of items that you had forgotten about. You can't save money if you really aren't using what you already have.

Stock up when things are onsale - especially items you use often. Then, you are sure your money is being used wisely and you will not have to buy these items when they arne't onsale. Hopefully you will have a nice stockpile.

Coupons. Absolutely coupons. You will save TONS by using them. There are lots of blogs that talk all about the savings they find using coupons, doubling them, even tripiling them.

Don't be afraid to also "grocery shop" at your local drugstores. Often times they have food on sale. And hey, what's so wrong about grabbing a bag of chips or bread when you are looking for that new lipstick? Our big drugstore chain has a big line of organic food that is always on sale. They also sell milk and eggs much cheaper than the grocery store. I often get natural/organic cleaning supplies there where elsewhere I'd be charged an arm and a leg.
And finally, definatly use frozen fruits and veggies when fresh aren't in season or aren't looking their best or are merely to pricey. I learned that frozen veggies are harvested at their peak and flash frozen (frozen asap) to ensure quality. I buy all the time now armed with that fact! Besides they are really great in a smoothie or thrown into a soup.

There are lots of great tips on here! I've learned a few things! Good luck saving $$ in double o-nine!! -Mandi

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I find it hard to shop and even harder to shop on a budget. I am not wonderful at bargain shopping yet. However, there are some tips that I have found from others that really help.

1. Find out the day your store marks down the meat. Then go in then my store marks it down Thursday early afternoon. I can go in and find some wonderful deals. I cook it or freeze it that day. When you thaw it you also want to use it quickly.
2. Others have said this but it is vital. Don't shop hungry. It is worth the few dollars to grab something first. You will save more than the cost of what you get.
3. Drink mostly water at home. We have a filter and it is cold. This is mostly what we drink.

3. Stretch you meat. My dh was raised on a cattle farm we are meat eaters, but I have learned to stretch it. Healthy casseroles, soups and meals such as tacos really make the expensive meat go further.

4. Don't take kids shopping with you, yours or others. If you do just promise on thing on the way out and don't take all the suggestions they have.

5. Make make more than one meal out of your dish and freeze it for a night it is tempting to eat out.

Those are my little tips. The site Money saving mom has really helped me.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM , Blogger GraceGirl said...

Hi Melissa,
The BEST coupon organizer I've ever used is Mrs. A's Coupon organizer. (www.mrsascouponorganizer.com)

I made the purchase a couple years ago and it has paid for itself! Get an extra set of inserts - you will need them!

God bless!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Since I know that you are somewhat of a foodie, I know how painful pinching pennies at the grocery store will be for you. I imagine you're like me and you watch an episode of Barefoot Contessa and want to run out and buy every ingredient at top quality to make whatever she made. So all I can offer are a few simple things that I've learned in the last few years:

1. Never buy spices at the grocery store. They're over-priced and underwhelming. I've started buying all my spices at thespicehouse.com. The bad news is that they have a flat $8 plus $1 per item shipping fee, which turned me off at first, until I discovered how much money I could actually save, all the while getting a much higher-quality product. Anytime you buy, you have a choice of sizes, as well as containers. If you're buying paprika for the first time, you'll want to buy it in a glass jar. If you're buying it for the second time, you have the option of buying a refill baggie at about half the cost. It's isn't cost-effective to order one item at a time, but if you can plan ahead and put together a big order (I usually order about once a quarter), or get someone to order with you, it's well worth it. And they have EVERYTHING. And it's all fresh.

2. Buy meat with the idea that you will use it for two meals. This is easier to do when it's just the two of you - now that my son eats everything in sight, I'm having a harder time with it. But say you buy a big roast. Cook it one night with potatoes and carrots and eat half. Save the other half to reheat with peppers and onions three or four nights later for fajitas. You get two meals for the price of one, and it doesn't feel like leftovers. You'll be surprised at how easy this can be when you get in the habit of doing it.

3. Try frozen alternatives to fresh. There's nothing better than fresh fruit and veggies, but some frozen alternatives work just as well. I use blueberries all the time, and have discovered that frozen berries are just as good at half the price of fresh. Not everything works as well, but it's worth trying.

4. Don't feel like you have to use every ingredient called for in a recipe. I use a web site called foodsubs.com as well as lots of cookbooks to get ideas for substitutes. This have save me buying lots of spices or sauces that I really didn't need.

And finally, I can't really offer this as advice because I'm just trying this out myself: grow your own herbs. I love fresh herbs, but I usually throw out as many as I use because I can't keep them fresh. But I've started four pots (parsley, dill, basil, and oregano) in a window sill just to see what happens. Ultimately, I would snip off what I need when I need it.

Hope this helps!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/ will get you started with frugal ideas!

God Bless!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

If it is any consulation, I also, have to turn every little (or big) receipt in. My husband dutifully enters them into a spreadsheet each week to make sure we are on track. I mumble and grumble about it all the time.

However, each year we have been able to go on really wonderful vacations, drive cars that are paid for, are working towards paying off our home within the next 3 years, and we were able to buy a rental house.

My husband's deligence on keeping us on track and his being a good steward of what God has given us has paid off in big ways.

Still I like to mumble, just to razz him up a bit!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM , Blogger DQ Nana said...

First off - go only when your stomach is full, like right after a meal. Second - plan like crazy - go over the sale flyers, plan your meals one week in advance and get only the groceries you need to fill your meal plan. It can save tons of money!! DQ Nana

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM , Blogger pjrobs said...

Hi Melissa,
I couldn't resist answering this post even though I usually only chime in when it's for a
Bible study or the memorizing! I've joined a website called
e-mealz.com; a friend at church told me about it. You have to pay $5 a month, but the savings really make up for it. I am a high school teacher and the mother of 5 so I don't have time to sort coupons or make elaborate plans based on sales. This website does it all for you - you pick the store such as Publix, Kroger or Walmart and they make menus for 7 days (you can do it for only 2 people as well). You get a full grocery list, a set of menus with recipes/directions on them. It's great, my kids and husband like the food and enjoy the variety and it has really helped save money and time.

Check it out and see if it might work for you.
Thanks for your humor and insight -
Much love,
Melissa in Locust Grove, GA

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Make a menu each week for the nights that you plan to cook (I cook Mon - Thur and Saturdays). Make a grocery list of the items that you need for the week's menu. Don't forget to include other staples that you use on a regular basis that you may be out of. Take stock of the cabinets before going grocery shopping so that you don't buy something you already have. Also, clip and use coupons. They can save you lots! I agree with harmonysong: use store brands. Most are as good as name brand items. You can weed out the ones that you don't like. Never go grocery shopping when you are hungry. Always stick to your list. My husband and I have been married 24+ years and we have always been on a budget. 19+ of those 24+ years I have been a stay-at-home wife and mother. I have always made a menu and a grocery list. It does save money!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

You are probably getting more advice than you wanted Ü. Meal planning is the first step and then making a list and sticking to it. I divide my list into produce, dairy, etc. Do not make unnecessary trips to the store--this is where the planning is crucial.

I was watching Jim Cramer on Mad money and he recommends shopping at Costco and only shopping once a month--and he said he doesn't have stock in it, he just believes in it. The problem there is you can't buy extras that you normally wouldn't buy. Good luck

On another note, I started the Esther study last night--I am so going to love it! I am recruiting everyone I can think of to join our group!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,

It's been good hearing from you. I know it kind of hard getting put on a budget after you get married, isn't it? I remember and hey, my man's lucky he married me, I'm really low-maintenance. Like, I like the natural color of my hair, I like greasy food joints vs. fancy restaurants with bird food, get my drift? I'm also a big dork that asked for a 1,000 piece Bible Stories puzzle for Christmas and that's what I got. Now, I'm getting a dog, a Corgi that I'm naming Riley. I just told him "dog or baby," of course, he knew I was bluffing and he kind of played along which scared me for a minute, but I knew he was bluffing too.

Okay, your biggest virtue and vice is the fact that you LOVE to cook. You will be able to buy things to make, that is always cheaper. However, when you come across recipes that require fancy stuff, it will be hard to resist. Save those for special occassions, it makes it nice for everyone. Most of my recipes are from family because most of us have a budget. So, we all trade recipes like crazy and they are good and affordable.

Last, but not least..DO buy the store-brand whenever possible. I already told you that I am part Italian. I always buy the Kroger or store brand for the canned tomatoes for sauce (makes a lot of sauce and saves money), but I will only get Barilla if they have the noodle that I'm looking for.

Some things you just can't skimp on, like Red Bull (just half-joking there). Seriously though, I buy Jif, when I am making a desert, I buy the good brand-name sugar, b/c everyone says your desert won't turn out right. Most of everything I buy is store-brand. Honey, it would not matter if I had a billion bucks sitting in the bank. Where I come from, you don't waste food, money, clothes, anything. That is part of the heritage of being a Mountaineer. I would still take and give hand-me-down clothes and I would still buy the store-brand.

Buy produce that you have to clean and cut. In my opinion, Fit is the best produce cleaner ever, although it's not cheap, it lasts. When the store is out, I make a homemade version with a little water, lemon juice and baking soda. Look for deals on meat and we eat tofu too, b/c we've been forced to due to health issues.

It will be easier for you because it is just the two of you. When you have children, the grocery store will BREAK THE BANK! Just look for deals. Also, I hate cutting out coupons, usually with the coupon, the store brand is cheaper, but sometimes it's worth it. Like make-up and med. you can get $1.00 off sometimes. At Christmas, I saved $16.00 using coupons. It's a pain and you will have to figure out an organized way to do it. I love standing in front of people and digging my coupons out, smiling my silly head off, HA.

You can do it! Oh my word, I think this is a super long post, sorry. Don't ask this girl how to save a buck. Us West Virginian's call each other to brag about what kind of deals we get and we do it with enthusiasm. It's like "I am such a genius!"

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME, how does one get a video on their blog post. I got one on My Testimony by typing in the URL. I wanted to get "Fifteen" by Taylor Swift and "Don't You Know You're Beautiful" by Kellie Pickler on my new rambling blog. I just wrote something, did not re-read, proof-read, anything and posted it. I wasted a lot of time trying to get those 2 videos on my blog post. If one of y'all that aren't comp. incompetent know, please share.

Sorry for the long post. I love ya'

From one chef to another.....

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM , Blogger Sabrina said...

Hi Melissa,
I plan my menu for the week. When my girls were tiny I planned for two weeks at a time. I include leftovers in my menu planning. So if I make a big pan of lasagna I plan to have it twice. You can also take leftovers for lunch. Packing a home made lunch every day will save lots of money. I also plan meals around what is in season. Seasonal fruits and veggies are always more reasonable.
Happy budgeting!
Sabrina

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM , Blogger dixies_mom said...

I love to cook and shop at the grocery store, and after the budget talk at our house (I would seriously rather have the birds and bees talk with my eight year old than discuss that "b" word with my man), I decided to purchase my groceries online. I can see the pricing on all the brands, review the specials, and have a running total as I put items in my "cart." I literally spend half of what I would if I went into the store. It's not my favorite grocery store or even the closest, but because of the online service it offers, it gets my business. Hope this helps!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa:

You are so funny.

My husband and I are also talking budget. So here is some of what I do. I belong to the Grocery game. I believe someone already mentioned this. I also read the blog thecentsiblesawyer.blogspot.com. The preacher's wife is where I found out about this web site. I think you will find it very helpful since you live in GA. She has many link to printable coupons, free give aways, good deals at various stores, etc. I also go to grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com. She only spends between fifty and sixty dollars a week on groceries for six people. The women who does the last web site does not use coupons. I do and I think it is worth the extra time takes. I have heard that couponmom.com has something similar and it is free. They also have lots of coupons you can print off. They also have coupons to different restaurants. I hope this info helps. If you do start to use coupons only clip or print the ones for products you would buy normally. Don't fall into the trap of buying a bunch of stuff you would not normally buy just because you could get such a great deal. You will end up spending way more money than you need to. Oh yea I also don't buy a lot of prepackaged foods. I tend to make from scratch many items. I hope this helps. Kim B. in Az

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM , Blogger beckyjomama said...

Here is what I TRY to do: I get all the ads together and plan a menu for the week (or further out). Now, some stores will honor the ads of other stores (almost all Walmarts do, so if you have a super walmart nearby ...) so ask around to find out if any near you do, then it is one stop shopping! So, you take all your ads to that one store and do it al at once. If you get a Sunday paper, clip the coupons and take them to the store too - but makes sure that the coupon brand IS the best deal. They can be deceptive.

Be careful about buying in bulk too, sometimes it is just not worth it. Ask me about the 24 boxes of Hamburger Helper sitting in my basement! Thanks Honey!

It may seem like a lot of work , but when you get that receipt and show Colin what you saved, it will all be worth it! Especially if you save more than you spend - I have actually done that a few times!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM , Blogger Wencked said...

The best way for our family to save money at the groceries store is for me NOT to go...the hubs has to. He is much more budget conscious and will only buy what is on the list...I stray from the list.

Oh there, that is one of my tips...always have a list. I also do coupons and store brands compared to fancy name brands.

I had to laugh when you mentioned the budget. That is the running joke with me and my friends. My husband is the ultimate in budgeting...he has a 365 day cash flow...yep, you read that right...365, cash flow budget. Each year in December he does the overall budget....all the money coming in versus all the money going out and we have to be in the black (incoming over outgoing) or it is back to the drawing board.

So I feel for you girl. BUT!!! The upside to living within a budget is to rarely worry about finances and rarely fight about finances. That has been the biggest blessing from the budget.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

Hi Melissa,

I feed a family of 6 for about $150-200 a month.

The best advice I can give you to not get suckered in to the fancier stores. I won't mention names because I know that's a no-no. Seriously though, I shop at WalMart for groceries. Clipping coupons is good, but often the store brand is cheaper than the name brand even with the coupon. Don't buy something just because you have a coupon.

Make a list--plan ahead! Cook larger portions and freeze them.

Also, eat when hungry not just because you are in the habit of having 3 meals a day.

Good luck Girl! Great job following the lead of your man!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Ellie Kay has awesome advice about coupons and all things finance--I really like her. Even though I barely scratch the surface of her methods I do save some money, it is kind of like a game. She has a website elliekay.com and a blog http://halfpriceliving.blogspot.com and lots of good books and tips. I need to be better about the budgeting too, it's so hard for me to keep track of everything. you've inspired me to try harder.

All the best to you girlfriend!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM , Blogger O'Nealya Gronstal said...

From one submissive wife to another :)
My husband also decided that we were going to start living on a tighter budget and we are starting to use the ever famous, Dave Ramsey envelope system. I'll let you know how we do.
But earlier last year, after the birth of our second child and me quitting work to be a stay at home mom we made some major shopping changes.
One that has been the biggest amazement of all is COUPONS! I was TOTALLY against couponing when a few girlfriends first told me how they we getting makeup for free at CVS and Walgreens and food for free at Kroger.
It really does work my dear! There are several websites that can teach you how - here are a couple of my favorites:
moneysavingmom.com and afullcup.com

Another tip that has helped me immensely is menu planning. I plan an entire week of dinners and lunches for hubby, post it on the fridge and shop for the ingredients to make everything on the list. The secret here is Sticking to the Menu (keep your schedule in mind ---i.e I know that Thurs nights needs to be easier because that is Bible Study night!)
We saw a huge savings from shopping once a week off the menu rather than several quick trips into the store throughout the week.

Hope this helps -
O'Nealya in Indiana

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I love to cook and experiment with all kinds of food, But the best way I know to save money is to plan a menu for the week and from that, purchase the foods needed.

Love, Emily

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Emmy said...

Oh I can't wait to read these comments... I so need help in this area! : ) My husband will be thrilled!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watch Andy Stanley's web cast from last Sunday North Point Chuch, it's the bomb...also, for me to save at the grocery store I do tally marks on my list round up the cost of each item, so I know what to expect at the check out.

Love ya, Marcy in Redmond, OR

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Robin said...

Plan, plan, plan...make a list and only stick to what is on the list. I take about 10 minutes prior to shopping to do a quick invetory of what is in the kitchen and what we need in order to use the resources that we already have (have pasta, need sauce - stuff like that). Then I go to my pre-cut coupons (only cut the coupons you are going to use) & circular to see if they inspire any new dishes.

Finally, I organize my coupons by expiration date. Since you know you are going to use the product you might as well get it before it expires. Even if it doesn't fit with what you are planning that week it can become a resource for you to use later.

I started using this method after I go married. Growing up I was the oldest of four, so you really didn't need a list or organization because whatever anyone bought would be eaten by someone. However, when there is just two a little organization goes a long way.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Dionna said...

I switch stores every week. I've learned what stores have what things at better prices. One week I'll go to Winco. then Wal-Mart, then Costco, etc.

Freeze leftovers. If you have tacos you can use that leftover meat after your defrost it in spaghetti sauce, etc. I even learned last year that spaghetti freezes! And I always make too much of that.

I don't always use coupons - sometimes they are two for one and I don't need two plus the discount isn't really that great. Make sure you only use what you need.

Learn what is good in a generic. Not everything is - but canned is usually okay. When it's tight till payday - potatoes are great and easy to have a potato bar and they are usually cheap.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,

Check the 2 for 1. Publix always has great deals and I save $20-$30 a trip. I love their weekly Aprons recipes. Only buy items that you will use. A lot of their things are less expensive than Wal-Mart, and it's such a pleasure to shop there! =)

Libba

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My tips would be to PLAN AHEAD so you shop less often, and don't be afraid to try a cheaper store like SuperWalMart. Once a week, I look at the calendar to see what kind of week we're going to have, then I write a shopping list with ingredients for 6-7 meals for the week ahead. Then I go to WalMart and buy everything for the entire week. This helps me reduce the "I'm just going to stop at the store and pick up a few things" mid-week, which always turns into more than a few things.

Also, kudos to you and Colin for trying to "do better" with your budget. My husband and I had no clue how to manage money when we married, but we tracked our receipts and slowly settled into a good system. It may feel stressful now but TRUST ME, it will improve your marriage! Good luck and God bless!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sCurtis' idea of tracking all expenditures is great. I hope his plan includes reviewing the expenditures each month together. It may take up to 6 months to identify the areas where y'all can or are willing to save or cut-back. Mutual agreement is crucial and y'all can't be too rigid or you may have other issues to address...I'm just saying...

Apparently, there are some out there in the world that have the gift of getting more meals out of a bag of potatoes than a porcupine has spines.

I'm not one of them.

But having fed 3 teenage boys and their darlin' dad now for about 10 years (they ate a lot less before they were 10). I've found a few tips that help. Some have already been mentioned.

1) Plan the menu for the week and do most of the shopping on two days (maybe a fill in from the darlin' husband between trips). I plan a month at a time and even create a shopping list that includes the items that will be needed for the planned menu; then I just mark off those things I already have in stock and add the things I need. I know it sounds crazy and time consuming. And it was! for the first 3 months or so. Save the menus on your computer, then at some point you can cut and paste or recycle the menu (your computer is your friend. I use the canned menu planner on Microsoft Office). It also makes it easy when you are shopping and preparing meals-you don't have to think of "what are we going to eat tonight". Don't forget to plan for left-over meals. (We have one meal a week that we call "Layin' it all out there!"--everything left-over comes out of the refrig., we heat and prepare it all then hopefully there is nothing left. But nothing goes back in the refrig. It's like a pot luck at church. I love to do this the evening before a shopping day then the refrig. is ready to be restocked.

2) When planning be sure to cook with those fruits & veggies that are in season. Watch for specials etc.

3) Join a warehouse club (we love Costco) and buy in bulk for things like paper towels, toilet paper, etc. Cleaning supplies, canned items, etc. I'll bet we cover the membership fee on the first visit.

4) Have a snack before you shop. Shopping when you're hungry makes the temptations irresistible.

5) If you don't have an extra freezer invest in one. It doesn't have to be huge. Buy meat on special, prepare some meals ahead and freeze. When budgeting, this strategy will result in an "up-front" outlay of cash but you will make up for it quickly. Watch the various grocers for meat specials, cheese, veggies (frozen veggies are healthier than canned), and stock up over a few weeks. Then use your supply and replenish as you see specials. (Does your Dad share in his bounty after a hunting trip....I'm just saying...)

Those are the grocery shopping tips I've got. The other siestas have some really great ideas. I just love it.

A budget is a great tool. It really will help you achieve all kinds of goals. I would like to say that from a professional standpoint please make the number one item on your budget (right after gifting to your church) to PAY YOURSELF FIRST. Then work from there. It is always easy to expand the budget but it is terribly hard to shrink the budget.

Good luck,
Lauri

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Find three or four (or more if you can) meatless main dishes that you can add in your rotation of meals. I try to put at least 2 meatless main dishes in our weekly meal plan and it saves so much money not having to purchase meat, especially if you buy organic. Also add a soup meal at least once a week. Very cheap! And usually easier to cook, and can be fun to prepare.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Grocery Game really is amazing!

One tip....before you do the trial month, save up coupons for a couple of weeks. Otherwise you won't really be able to try it successfully.

The only downside of the grocery game(for me) is having to shop at 2 stores most weeks. But you will definitely save money.

Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Merla said...

This lady has some great recipies and some great tips for saving money as well. And she is one inspirational christian homemaker as well. http://www.lainesletters.com.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont have any suggestions except use coupons, but youre hilarious:)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa ~ I dread grocery shopping as it takes me forever, however I have saved as much as $65 in one trip with coupons and the store's specific value customer card sales. One time, years ago, I saved more than I spent in coupons in one trip. I clip coupons and I use them (ask friends and family to save coupons for you from the Sunday paper if they aren't using them). I keep my coupon envelope in my purse and they are organized to correspond with the way the aisles are set up in the grocery store I frequent the most. I also try to plan ahead as best I can with meals and try not to deviate from the master plan unless it is a really great sale and I can't pass it up. I try to eat before I go so that I'm not impulse buying just because it looks appetizing because I am starving. Even though it is just the two of you, for some items it may be cheaper to purchase them at a discount place that sells in bulk (paper towels, toilet paper, detergent, etc). We have Sam's Clubs, which require an annual membership fee, however the prices for some things may be better and overall worth the membership fee. I know this is lengthy, but if I could offer one more bit of advice. Being a single mom, with only my income feeding us, there have been times when I really did not have money for the grocery store, but needed things. On two occasions I prayed all the way to the grocery store and told God that He knew what was in my bank account and He knew what I needed (let's face it, you just can't NOT have toilet paper or toothpaste - I did not want to have to choose) and to please get in the details of the shopping trip. Both times, EVERYTHING AND I MEAN EVERYTHING, I HAD TO BUY WAS EITHER ON SALE OR I HAD A COUPON!!!!!!!!! HE IS SO GOOD!!!!!! Good luck! I commend you for handling your husband's request so well!

Wendy

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa:

Check out www.mvelopes.com It's an online budgeting software that my husband and I started using three years ago. Since this software has you tell all of your money where to go before you spend it (instead of tallying up the damage at the end of the month to see where the money went) it can really help you get a better handle on grocery shopping and everything else. Hope this helps! Also, shop Trader Joes if you have one. For the most part, they are a lot cheaper than traditional stores.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:48 PM , Blogger Amy B said...

The best advice I ever got about meal planning was this DON'T ... make a list of staples that you need when you're going to the grocery ... and when you get there, buy the things that are on sale (especially meat and fresh veggies) ... then meal-plan when you get home. When you plan the meal before you go (without looking at the store flyer like me) you lock yourself into ingredients. It makes me be creative and more thoughtful about what I've got to use. Blessings to you!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you....we just started the envelope system on Sunday. We are a family who loves to cook and bake, shop at the Amazing Whole Foods off 141 near Duluth -- the one where you can select your fish and they will grill it while you wait then serve it to you at the pub tables) when we lived there.

I find that a list is a must, and to leave money in the envelope to cook and bake like you'd like - cereal and soups go a long way, and leaves room for fresh and healthier foods. Simple can be good. For me, coupons are great, but I too, find myself buying for the coupon, not for need. It's much more challenging to do this when you are a "cook at heart" - but you'll be creative and your husband even happier and prouder.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Moose Mama said...

Plan your meals.
Make a list of what you need.
Shop only once per week.
Don't shop while hungry.
Only buy what's on your list.
I try to shop without the husband and kids. Even though your husband wants to save money, you'd be surprised what the 2 of you can talk each other into buying.

If I only need 1 or 2 things betweeen major shopping trips, I try not to go to Walmart. The milk may be cheaper there, but you gotta walk past a lot of temptation to get there, cuz they always put the milk at the back of the store. So you end up spending more anyway.

Good Luck, Melissa

Melana in Wyoming

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Julie said...

The freezer is your friend. Buy when what you want is cheap.

Use coupons.

Look at all those sale fliers that come in the mail and the newspaper.

Remember that store brands are made by the people who make the major brands. You will get the same product often for half off or less when it is on sale.

Don't be afraid to shop at more than one grocery store a week, if it doesn't require too much driving. I, personally, frequent three that are one my regular paths. Different stores have different things less expensive.

Have fun with it. Make it a game. I consider my bargain hunting another branch of my creativity. How can I make this work? You will be surprised with what you can do when you put your mind to it.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I've been reading through some of the posts and I don't feel so bad about leaving a long one before. I agree with the women on here.

I'm like Becky with the coupons, I forget them, etc. That is why I said be organized if you are going to use them. I only cut out a few, ones I know I will use and immediately put them in an envelope. I mostly use them for special occasions or holidays when I know I'm going to buy stuff that I normally don't buy and brand names.

Berry Patch is so right about "mid-run's"...they will kill your budget only next to children.

Oh and I forgot, DO NOT GO TO THE STORE HUNGRY! Try to stick to your list. Sometimes, you'll see something that you did not write down and you may need it. Just think "Do I need this now or can I wait until next payday?"

Save your money for more important things, like fine jackets (hee hee). You don't have kids, so food is not that important..JUST KIDDING! I always make sure I have enough room in my budget for one of my very best friend's, John Freida. I have to have his course hair frizz-ease like laundry detergent. That stuff is better than anything I've tried at the salon and I've tried everything.

Okay, that's my last post tonight. By the way, marriage is worth having to budget!!!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

plan your meals for the week...then you can get exactly what you need and if you are really organized you can try to use the same type of meat in several really different recipes so that you are cooking less. Got to a grocery store that has a rewards program..ex., Ingles has an advantage card that discounts their store brand. Good Luck! You are not alone...we are saving receipts too! Georgia

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM , Blogger E said...

Melissa,
I've begun freezer cooking with my friends once a month. Each of us make 7 of the same recipe and freeze's it and then meet up and swap...I come home with 6 other meals of various categories to put in my freezer and only had to cook (and pay) for 1! It has saved us lots of money--tonight I made 7 batches of yummy soup for about $30. Seven meals for $30! Yippee! You can search on the web for all kinds of recipes and ways to do it. Check it out!
Elisha

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Shawna said...

I use a list called The Grocery Game. That costs me $5/month and I buy 2 Sunday papers for coupons. The list tells me which sales are the best and where to get any coupons to go with them. I keep coupon inserts by date and do not cut any out unless I need them. Before my 2 teenage boys left home I spent $60-$80/week for a family of 5. Now that I'm down to 3, I spend about $50/week and this is in a state that does not do double or triple coupons. My sister in AZ also uses a list (different one) and spends $200/month including diapers and everything.

Don't be brand loyal and realize that alot of people lived healthy lives before everything was organic!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Cindy in Ferndale said...

One of my favorite ways to save in the grocery store is to watch Quick fix meals with Robin Miller. She makes a chicken (or what ever she starts with) last 3 meals. She is my cooking hero. :o)
Oh by the way I wanted to share how we siesta’s are everywhere.
Our church had a ladies soup night and I sat at a table with 5 women I have never met.
We were all sharing and one of the gals shared she also was memorizing scripture with all the siesta’s.
We said our verses to each other, it was great! It was wonderful meeting a siesta in person.
Brandi, I hope we bump into each other often!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hands down, thegrocerygame.com. do what she says and you will see significant savings over time.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

Filing my receipts does help me spend less because I am just more aware...

Calculating each item as it goes into the cart helps me to see how small differences can add up quick...

No sodas...

Stock up on dry goods when they are on sale...

Buy generic brands except for the ones you really like the name brand better...

Take "darling" shopping with you and make him proud!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:04 PM , Blogger michelle t said...

Hey Melissa!

You have gotten some great advice but I'll echo a few:

1. Aldi (you have to go here)
2. Meal plan (2 weeks at a time)
3. Loss leaders (plan around meat on sale)
4. Make lists (for each store; we only go to Aldi and Kroger - that's all we have time for)

The only other things I would mention is that since there are only two of you (for now) I would let all store memberships lapse. Buying in bulk for two is not going to save you money and you'll save the membership fees.

The other thing is that since you like to cook "fancy" sometimes I would talk over your meal plans with Colin and consider extra ingredients you will buy such as spices and such. Perhaps plan a variety of meals around them. You could grow your own herb garden as well to cut costs. Those "specialty" items can cost you a pretty penny.

Also if your man can stand a casserole or two (some can't) split in half and freeze. BIG money saver.

Last piece of advice: stay on the same page as your man. I've been married 16 years. Being like-minded about money is one of the biggest reasons we are still together. Approach it as a team and you will become a team. The three stranded cord cannot be broken. Keep running like Joseph and God will honor it. But you know that already!!! You already have the BEST mentor - your MOM!

God bless you and Colin!!!
Michelle Tabb

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Save as much as you can ... so you can treat your sweet self to Starbucks as a reward. I am all about rewards! :)

Oh, fyi, Publix has the best blackberries for $1.24 this week in Atl!

Enjoy the challenge!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make a menu out for a week and make a detailed list of only what you need for those meals. Stick to the list when shopping and try not to go to the store more than once a week. It's the little things I add to the cart that aren't on my list that add up.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:11 PM , Blogger -C said...

Plan your weekly menu with a couple extra items that you can throw something easy together at the last minute instead of eating out. ;)
Stick with the list.
Buy store brand.
When you're at the end of your money and you don't know what to make with what you have on hand ... go to allrecipes.com and do a search by ingredients.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Melissa, I am with you! My husband and I put ourselves on a budget, and we've made it to Day Seven so far :-)

1. Shop when are alone. Kids will try to get you to buy extra junk.

2. Don't shop when you're hungry.

3. Shop from a list. Don't just wander aimlessly around the store.

4. COUPONS! in conjunction with sales papers.

5. Plan a menu and shop based on that.

That's all I have for you - good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:12 PM , Blogger Jessie said...

plan your meals and buy only what you need for the meals - there's my only tip at this point...

and I just want to encourage you - it is so nice that you have a husband that will lead you in this area. many years early in my marriage my husband wouldn't give me the boundaries or the plan and I was left to stumble my way around trying to figure out what I needed to do to partner with him. hang in there - you will do great!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:13 PM , Blogger Julie said...

Melissa - the greatest things that have helped me are as follows: first, make a menu and then a list of needed ingredients for that menu. Buy only what is on that list...be sure to include a few snacks or you'll be sorry! You will save TONS of money even though it's a pain to be so tedious. Secondly, don't shop when you're hungry and don't shop when you're full. Inevitably you will make poor purchasing decisions.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:16 PM , Blogger motherofthree said...

I use the grocery game. It is amazing!!!!!! I also use coupons and add those to the weekly sales ads. I also bought a small ($50.00) free standing freezer to stock up on things that are on sale. I have saved 50-75% this past year at the grocery store and I still shop at my favorite store! :)
Too complicated to explain all the rules here but would be happy to share later. It sounds like your husband has been reading Dave Ramsey! We have been taking his money class for 9 weeks now and love it! It can change your life and give you more money to give freely to those people and organizations that are dear to your heart! We save our receipts also and you would be amazed what that does!
Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I have six children, 4 boys and 2 girls and the best way I save money at the grocery store is to make a menu for the week, make a list and stick to it. Also, I agree with everyone who says buy generic, there is no difference in most things. I did try to make meals for a month one time as someone suggested to me, it didn't work out at all for us. Also, fruit and veggie stands are great on prices. Good Luck!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make a LIST and follow it! Do not be sucked in by the store set up. Shop the perimeter of the store. Don't shop hungry. Buy in bulk when it is practical and bag to freeze, store etc.. You are on a Mission which is different than fun shopping. DO NOT BE SWAYED. Use coupons. Check store brand against brand name ie divide and check price per unit.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Dee said...

There is so much to be said on this subject, and I am not going to read all the comments so I will probably say something that has already been said. Check the sale papers each week. Plan a menu around what is on sale. You can get meat that is marked down. Have menus available that use whatever meat is on sale. Use the store brands instead of name brands. I suggest you try this out first because they will not be a bargain if you do not like them. For example.. I don't like every brand of ketchup, or off brands of crackers. But as far as canned vegetables, the off brands are good. Have a day where you have a meatless meal... like vegetable soup, beans and rice, pasta night, etc. Make your own pizza. Stay away from packaged foods- they cost for that packaging. The best advice is to plan a menu. And start your meal early in the day. Then you are not tempted to buy something processed and instead you can make it from scratch. You can also use coupons for name brand items. Also, make saving money a game. All those "little" items add up.. like a capuccino, a Dr. Pepper, a snack from fast food restaurant. Drink more water when you go out for dinner instead of a beverage. Check out the tightwad gazette, and I will think of others. I love finding ways to help my husband by being a good steward with our money.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Claire Nance said...

I make out a weekly menu and then buy everything at once--no trips inbetween which saves on gas and money. I also do a lot of crock pot dinners so I can freeze leftovers. Beef stew, taco chili, cheese broccoli soup, for example. I also buy HEB brand products where I shop (HEB) which are cheaper and the same quality. Except for their brand of Rotel--it's not as spicy as Rotel's brand. We Texans love our Rotel. I do use coupons when possible, but I'm no coupon queen or anything. Just what I get in the Sunday papers.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM , Blogger DigiNee said...

God bless you darlin' ---- had to laugh a bit ----- so glad I do the budget and after penny pinching for WAYYYYY too many years, I just get what we need and if it includes a steak, then so be it!

Can not wait to follow this adventure and yep, 2010 is just around the corner . . .

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Make a menu
2) Take a list and adhere to it as much as possible
3) Costco for items that you use a lot of
4) Coupons especially good when the item that you have a coupon for is on sale
5)Meatless meals 1-2x/week

Hope that this helps...

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Ellen Todosichuk said...

Buy One Get One Free! I love those kind of sales. Also, menu planning and buying only what you will use in a given period of time. Happy deal hunting!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Beth, I have two daughters and I'd rather read than cook...sound familiar?

Here are my savings tips:

Give up soda. (Bad for your waist, your teeth, your wallet and the containers litter God's creation.)

Only buy anything if the price is good. Refuse to let your emotions rule your common sense. (I unleash my shopping emotions at Target ; )

Eat half your food when dining out; bring the rest home for a second meal.

Choose to be content.

Save all you can at big chains; spend a little more to support local businesses.

Look through Amazon's Subscribe & Save; check prices carefully, but good buys can be found and delivered to your door!

Listen for when God says "Shop here today." I can show you a couch that the Lord directed me to!

You will THANK GOD all your life that you and Colin are getting off to a good start financially; and your home will be blessed as you honor your husband, your marriage and your Savior.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read the others since there are so many, but here are my tips. I shop for our family of 4 and spend about $125-150 a week and that includes diapers.

1)Plan your meals ahead of time and shop once for the whole week. Pretty much any fresh stuff will stay good for a week. Look through your pantry and fridge to make sure of what you need to cook what you're planning. Don't just go to the store thinking, I'm making beef stew for Tuesday. Actually pull out the recipe and check your pantry. This will save a lot of money AND you will have everything you need. I actully plan the full menu for each night of the week (m-f) on the back of my grocery list.

2)Read the sale paper for the store you are visiting ahead of time (you can see them online if you're like me and don't get a newspaper). Add the sale items you want to get to the list and the price they are supposed to be; you'd be surprised how often things are not priced right.

2)Buy ONLY what is on your list. Unless, of course, you realize after you get to the store that you're almost out of something vital and you REALLY NEED it.

4)Buy store brands on dairy products and most canned goods. Some things are not as good, but I've found that our local grocery even carries 2% cheese that is very good.

5)Use leftovers in other recipes. If I make meatballs for meatball subs, I make double and freeze half. That way the next week we have spaghetti and meatballs. If I make my chili recipe which has celery (which comes in large bunches), I'll plan a chicken casserole for later in the week to use up the rest of the celery.

6) Cut coupons. My mom cuts out the coupons she wants and then gives me her coupon pages out the paper. But, only use them if they are beneficial. If another brand is still much cheaper without the coupon, go for it and toss the coupon. Also, see if your grocery stores double coupons. Mine doubles up to $1.

Ok. That's all I can think of. We eat healthy meals and pack all our lunches for the week. My dh even works from home so he eats what's here. It can be done for less. I just don't make recipes with extravagant ingredients. Probably the most extravagant items I buy are extra virgin olive oil (and I buy the store brand) and Horizon organic yogurt for the kids because I can't stand the sugary, chemically stuff they try to pass off as yogurt!

Best of luck on your new adventure!
Hannah in Maryille, TN

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

MGMF.wowo girl so humbled to know you...ok THROW out every catalog
in the mail.plum trash it. do not
open it..is officially garbage..
haha i thank you for reminding me
to stay within my envelopes. SC

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM , Blogger fuzzytop said...

Melissa,

Every $ saving grocery tip I can think of has been posted... the siestas are awesome! But I did want to make a more general suggestion. My husband and I have always recognized that we each need to have some budgeted amount that we can spend as we want, without fear of recrimination or nagging. It doesn't have to be a large amount. I usually spend my "mad money" on beads for my beading hobby or color pencils for my portraits. My advice would be to make sure you and Colin each have some $ budgeted for this; I think it will help you both maintain a positive attitude about living with a budget.

Good luck!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa:
I was a Home Ec Major way back when...(I'm into wardrobing as well as accessorizing I know I spelled that wrong).
But the one thing over the decades of marriage I have had with my dear man that my friends all told me to do but I never did was to write a book on menu and meal planning. Not a word of lie it helps and it saves time when the 4 o'clock witching hour is in your face and things just have to get ready and on the table in superhero time, I just would have it all planned and each morning looked at the menu posted on the fridge as I was reaching for cream for the coffee and then also reached into the freezer for the meat or the pre-cooked but frozen meal in the freezer. Life became much simpler when I got settled into my heart to do that.
Can we recommend a web-site here I am not sure of the protocal for that but type in Budgeting- food or better budgeting add a .com or org and see what shows up there are so many practical ones on line I use one that is free and I really like the tips offered and meal plans suggested.
Good Luck, you are a smart young lady and I know this is not to big or hard for you, a challenge for right now but not to hard. Bless you for wanting to honor your husband in this and bless you for asking for help, many struggle through and Kraft dinner becomes the only cheap way to cook and it so doesn't need to be.
I would love to read a post now and again on how you are getting along.
God gives us each so much to be good stewards over and your husband are stepping up to the plate in good form.
Thanks for letting me share. I am humbled and blessed.
Iris

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM , Blogger Tara G. said...

I "researched" this very topic and that's how I was introduced to the blog subculture... I stressed, kept track of my grocery spending, and came to the conclusion that for our family (1)I can save by making menus and buying what I need, (2) be creative about using our leftovers, (3)make the majority of our meals and not eat out, and (4)realize that with special dietary concerns in the house, I simply can't get the bill down any lower in that area and to stop feeling guilty about it (and be thankful for a healthy family). And can I just say, that I prayed as a single person for a giving husband and I got him- he has taught me so much and what a pleasure to invest in things that reap eternal fruit.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

1. Plan a menu. Make a list and shop by it. Try to plan your menu on what you already have (ie pantry items or fresh items from last week).

2. Buy store brand/generic. There are some exceptions, like peanut butter (gotta be Jif or Peter Pan!) but alot of things are just as good generic.

3. Don't shop when you're hungry!

4. Avoid convenience foods. I think you're a good enough cook that you can do prep on your own and save $$$. Plus homemade tastes better!

5. Buy in bulk and freeze--such as family packs of meat. Saves $$ and you always have it on hand in the freezer!

Hope that helps! I, too, have been handed the budget for this year. I was under for groceries last year (hooray!) but there are other "categories" hubby wants us to improve.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several years ago when we were working hard on the budget, we decided that we would not go out to eat for the whole year. (extreme I know)We did not tell others our plan, just God. When our friends invited us to go out to eat, we would say yes, and tell them we would need to meet them a little later and to please go ahead and order. We would eat before we went and join them and order water with lemon. Not one person ever questioned us. At the end of the year, we were out of debt. (PTL)

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of ten children, so it is very difficult to stay on budget, I do all the food shopping, but I recommond the blog "Money Saving Mom", she has a lot of great tips and is full of ideas. Hope this helps!!

 
At January 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

This is new stomping ground for me too, but desperate times call for desperate measures and this family is feeling the squeeze. I start with a meal plan for the week. I make my grocery list. I do the Costco thing which is great for meat and fruit for our family. I also try to get interior aisle goods at WalMart, which is horrible because that store is the worst (Im sure that makes me a snob but I hate the place). But can I just tell you the money I save there? Seriously, a TON. But I only buy prepackaged items there. This has worked for us tremendously.

Let us know what tricks you find work best for you. We could all use all the help we can get!!

PS - love the way you write.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home