Inked
These are the only two pictures I took at camp. My child is a hunter and gatherer of pens. He was oblivious to the ink in his mouth. But when I took the pen away, an F5 tantrum blew through the room. At least it helped me get a good shot of his mouth.


Beth and some of our LPM girls are on their way to the Women of Faith pre-conference in Ft. Lauderdale today. She will do five of these before the end of the year. Since our Living Proof Live friends are not involved, I'm not sure what kind of recap we will have for these events. We might have to adjust our expectations. Rich set the bar pretty high with those videos!
*Edited to add: Ironically, it looks like all of our YouTube videos have disappeared. I have no clue what happened but I will try to get it figured out. Pray for me!

71 Comments:
I have already prayed for Beth and the ladies going with her. I prayed for Travis as well. I am sure that God will bless in such huge ways and may each one have a personal encounter with God! I pray that they would have time for some fun while in Florida. I have alot of family that lives there, I feel like I need to visit them soon. ;) Have a blessed weekend sistas!!
My youngest son is about the same age as Jackson and he will do whatever he can to get his hands on pens. Pencils won't do, only pens! And when you take them away we get the same kind of tantrum!
Ah, little boys!
Oh Amanda, look at those pleading eyes! Just one pen, Mom, pleeeeze! Too cute!! Thanks so much for sharing, Kim in PA
Even with a sad face, Jackson has the most beautiful eyes! I still remember the day I got inked. My older brother thought it was hilarious. I did not.
Oh my gosh, I was having withdrawls, thank you for sharing these are sooo funny and precious!!! I love that you were able to capture these! Thanks!!
Amanda,
Do you have any idea when the 2008 schedule for LP events will be posted? I am about to DIE to know where Beth will be next year!!
Thanks! Oh, I know about those F5 tantrums...most of the time I just laugh and they stop...blessings to you and your precious family.
I'm praying... I get to go see your Mama in Denver this fall. WooHoo!!
I love Women of Faith, too, and all the girls! I've gone to every one except the first...great with child twice and with a newborn (2 weeks old) once. Girls, don't let those little ones keep you home. My favorite Women of Faith was with baby Sydney last year. 'So comfy to sit with other Mom's in the special room!
Lord, we're setting our hopes on YOU for this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale!
Amanda - What adorable pictures!!! Those are the ones you'll want to show to his girlfriend when about 17 years old. Did you ever think you could love someone as much as you love him??? By the way, when can we expect the pictures from the Boone, NC event? I'm anxiously awaiting those so I can share the event with friends who couldn't come with me. Thank you Amanda for all your hard work with the blog. It's a real blessing to be able to feel so close to you and your mom. I'm praying for continued blessings in both of your lives. Melissa M.
Amanda,
What great pictures! I laughed out loud when they came up, and I really needed a good laugh today. My girls are teenagers and I was having kind of a rough day, well, because they're teenagers and actually they can look a little like you son (minus the ink.) Your poor son's tantrum really cheered me up. Sorry Jackson ; )
How do you resist that poor baby?! From the looks of that last picture he was being tortured. = )
Stephanie in Rhode Island
That second picture speaks a thousand words.... oh how I wish I could have given him a hug!
I'll be praying for your Mom, the LPL girls and the WOF conference. One day I'll be able to go to one :)
Genny
Amanda,
I loved the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I have a picture of my boys when they were little with mud mask on their faces. They saw me using it and wanted to give it a try. If you could see it I know you would think it is funny and cute.
I am praying for Beth as she speaks this weekend in Ft. Lauderdale.
Prayer Request:
June 30, 2007, I will join a team from my church in a unique mission opportunity to Ukraine. Half of the team will do a Children’s Camp in a small village outside of Kiev called Andrushiuka and half of the team will host an UPWARD Basketball camp in Glevaha.
The locations where we will serve are particularly important. They are small, outlying villages where evacuees from the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster were relocated. The residents of these villages live on a regular government stipend, but are largely overlooked by the Ukrainian government or any other aid agencies. In the depressed environment of these villages, drug and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, childhood neglect, and mental illness are tragic realities. Even sadder is the absence of any sort of church in these three villages. There is no Christian witness to tell these people that God loves them and longs to bring meaning and purpose to their lives.
Our team is part of a larger effort to bring light to these dark villages. A nearby Ukrainian Baptist church has committed to planting three churches, one in each village.
A city government leader in one village told the mission representative who organized our trip, “I am not a believer in Jesus like you are, but I believe that there is a God. If there is something in your Bible that will bring hope to my village, please come and tell us about it.” Clearly, God has prepared the way for this mission project, and I am confident that God will reveal His life-changing power to these desperate people.
I hope you will consider praying for the team. I am completely out of my comfort zone on this one because Mike is not coming along. However, I know God is calling me to this and I know He will be with me.
Thanks for your prayers.
Anonymous 2:22, we actually posted the recap video right after the conference. I went back to find it for you and saw that all my You Tube videos are missing. I have no idea what's going on. There is a link to the same video on God Tube though: http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=3499a6f605b9ee351c7d
Are they blank for you guys too?
Anon 2:16, I don't know when the '08 schedule is coming out but I'm also dying to see it.
When I read, "she will do five of these before the end of the year," my brain was still stuck on the F5 tantrums. After Beth's last post, I was thinking that we had 5 more of those to look forward to! :-)
Boy, did that first picture bring back some memories for me!!! I remember pitching myself a snot slingin' fit when I was little and my mama stood me in front of the bathroom mirror and made me look at myself until I started laughing. I would kind of go back and forth between crying and laughing. I would try my best to keep crying and not laugh, but then I'd crack. How is it possible that I don't need therapy now?!?
this has nothing to do with this post, but i need your help!!! I am 18, never done a Beth Moore bible study, but i am dying to. I have the opportunity to do Daniel, and Living Beyond Yourself, starting next week. I was going to do both, but today someone advised me to just do 1 because of how fantastically in-depth they are. If you have an opinion on this or any advise for me i would be so grateful!
Sarah in Tampa
Amanda,
I just went back to look and found the Boone recap. The UTube posts were there.
Somthing funny is going on...
how precious! I think he looks just like Beth!
Amanda,
Jackson is ADORABLE, ink and all!! I've got three boys,and the fun is only beginning. Boys are great!! Prayers for Beth this weekend. What is Women of Faith? Is it like Living Proof Live? Just wondering! Love your pictures, it's fun to see Jackson grow. Blessings!
Wow he really likes pens! I guess it's better in the mouth then in the laundry?!?!
He looks like your mom crying out to God in the 2nd photo!
To Sarah in Tampa...definately begin with Living Beyond Yourself...it is a good one to start with and is filled with "gems" that I wish I had when I was 18!
Love ya!
Holly
Mmmm- feeling your pain with the tantrums (my son is a little older than Jackson). The boy knows tantrums lead to the "spanker" and he likes to just skip over our whole restoration process by folding his hands and desperately saying, "Deah God- A-meen" Sadly for him, the diaper still comes down.
He is such a cutie the one picture looks like he is trying to say give me back my pen. SO CUTE!
Also, a shout out to my siestas. I have spinal meningitis and I am miserable. I have a plethora of symptoms that I wont bore you with and I need to get back to taking care of my 2 year old. PLEASE say a prayer for me. We cant get a break.
ps to Sarah in Tampa
do any of her studies. I go to a very large church (where we have to set up sign up tables for Bible studies) and I have heard people tell others that Daniel is for people who have been in the word for a long time. To which I reply "Beth would die if she heard you say that!" The Lord (Holy Spirit) is our teacher and if you take it one day at a time you can do any of her studies. She is not about having some spiritually elite deep club but it is her desire that she present everyone mature and complete through her studies. Hang on sister for the ride of your life. WARNING these studies are addictive!! :) One thing I love is that the disciples were unschooled ordinary men the word for ordinary is idiotes meaning idiots! of no rank, formal education, or importance and God used them to shake this world upside down. He is still using their testimony to change us today. People took note at their courage and boldness and noted that they had been with Jesus! I have just done Daniel for the second time! It rocks! So does living beyond yourself!
I have a "Jackson" too, he's 2 and a half and his passion is washable markers! All over his legs, his arms and in his mouth! His sister calls them "statues" when he draws on himself as her daddy has a TATOO on his arm. Oh the things we could express if we could still do that on ourselves!! (-:
Too funny, all he needed was to be holding 2 jumbo size boxes of tampons under each arm and I could just picture Beth last week.
My youngest loved pens also! There's hope, now he draws all of the time now.
What a cute baby! He looks so much like you and I can see Beth in him too. I will pray right now for the remainder of their time, although she's probably already spoken.
I noticed on YouTube that if you search on Beth Moore, you get different hits than if you search on Travis Cottrell.
If you search on Travis Cottrell, it looks like the videos are there.
Hope this helps.
Julie
What an adorable little man you have...even with pen in his mouth. :-) Thanks for sharing your life and his with us.
Oh my gosh,even with his tears, I could just eat that child with a spoon!!! My prayers are with Beth and the LPM gals in Ft. Lauderdale. It is hotter than heck in the South. Hope your mother has some short-sleeved tops! I also hope they will be able to be fed by the Women of Faith...just soak up what the Lord wants to give to each of them.
My daughter and I will fly across country for the Women of Faith Conference in Phoenix in November in order to see your mother at the Pre-Conference. It is my 60th birthday and my daughter's 36th birthday presents! I can't wait!
Amanda, I think you have a future writer on your hands. I am a writer and have been known to eat the pen. God bless little Jackson and his love of pens. I can see that photo on the jacket of his first book.
LOL! I'd just tell everyone his tongue was blue from the F5 itself.
At least he doesn't fancy eating fragile Christmas ornaments like "some kid" I know.
Blessings,
~toni~
http://www.inthemidstofthisseason.blogspot.com/
AMANDA TOO FUNNY GOT FOUR KIDS KNOW WHERE YA COMING FROM . MY SIX YEAR OLD GOT HIS HEAD STUCK IN THE RECLINER OF OUR SECTIONAL SOFA I WAS FREAKING OUT CALLED 911 AND WHEN I WAS ON THE PHONE HE GOT HIS HEAD OUT. I AM NOT THAT GOOD WHEN IT COMES TO MY KIDS GETTING HURT BUT PRAISE THE LORD HE IS FINE HOPEFULLY HE WONT DO IT AGAIN. WAIT TILL YOUR SON DRAWS ON YOUR WALLS OR YOUR FUNITURE WHAT'S NIFTY IS WHEN THEY PUT PENS AND CRAYONS IN THE DRYER. TRY GETTING THAT OUT OF YOUR CLOTHES. WE'LL HAVE A BLEST NITE WILL PRAY FOR BETH MAY THE LORD BRING THEM HOME SAFE.
GOD BLESS
YOUR SIS
SUE-LA
Amanda,
Thanks so much for sharing! Mine have outgrown that phase, but I remember it well! (Now we have new adventures at ages 12 and 9.) Just wait until he decides to use that pen to color more than himself (ooops, shouldn't have said that, lol)!
God has given the mothers of boys a certain extra something to pull us through. I wanted a girl, but I suppose He thought I had the temperment for boys, so I have two. Needless to say-my prayer life needs to improve to get through the upcoming teen years!
Hugs and Love,
Jennifer E.
San Marcos, TX
Amanda,
Thanks for sharing. I have an 18 month old daughter, and I'm very familiar with the F5 tantrums!
It's really good to hear other mom's stories!
God is so good. I wrote in my journal this morning "I wait in quiet submission for Your direction and wisdom. Please keep me calm, centered, and focused on Who You are...the Living God". My precious daughter has struggled with bulemia for almost three years. She has had victory for eight months, and just yesterday I found out that she is struggling again for the past two weeks. I was at a loss, and with a broken heart prayed and journaled this morning. I went to Oneplace.com and listened to your precious Mom speak on Monday, May 7th on God Made a Woman. I now have three pages of notes that I'm praying that the Lord will give me opportunity to share with my precious daughter. I longed in my heart this morning to have your Mom pray for my girl. She closed her session with a prayer for deliverance for those in need. She did pray. He is so good to give us what we need when we ask Him. I trust Him now for deliverance for my girl. Thank you and your Mom for your ministry.
Amanda,
As I scrolled down and saw those pictures, I did one of those big loud, single "ha" "HA!" laughs. It was great. Those pleading eyes...
And yet I can't help think of what an illustration that is for when we plead and have tantrums when the Lord is trying to take something from us that is only harming us. I know He's always working on me with stuff like that, and there I sit with an F5 face, ink in my mouth, thinking I know what's good for me.
Thanks for sharing, Amanda. Be Blessed!
-Nicole
Hey Amanda and Beth - Praying for the WOF conference. I know He will be big!!
I wanted to let you know and others that read the comments that I have started a Believing God linky thingy. Everyone is welcome to come by and participate.
I am Believing God to sweep across the blogging world and change us to really BELIEVE!!!
www.leighhargisgray.blogspot.com
Leigh
That is so cute!! Those are the best kind of pictures, to me...lol!
Maybe he has a calling to take after his Granny, as a writer. ;)
Praying for the W.O.F. event, and for you, sweet Amanda.
Have a blessed day!
You had better get used to those tantrums and start praying for Gods mighty paitence and grace! They only get stronger and worse the older they get!! Ahh the joys of raising kids!!
At least it wasn't a Sharpie!!
As usual, he's adorable- even when he is throwing a tantrum.
I'm cracking up! That's hilarious!
This reminded me of when my husband and I were dating.... We were acting silly with Sharpie markers, and I dared him to draw a mustache on himself, and he ended up drawing one on both our faces. Boy I wish I had a picture of that - we both looked like the Frito Bandito....! I'm busting up laughing just remembering this!
Thanks for sharing Amanda!
Jackson is such a cutie. When my son was his age he happily ate crayons. I can't wait to pull the pictures out when he gets older. Thanks so much for maintaining this blog.
Just know it's not only boys, I have a little girl about the same age as Jackson and she actually digs in the couch to see if she can find a pen! They are so much fun though aren't they?
Too cute! My daughter is the same age, so I know how the tantrums are beginning. She has just started throwing herself on the floor now. She is my second child, so I can laugh at them now.
My prayers are with your mom and everyone going down to FL, as well as those of you staying home!
My YouTube is working fine.
You guys have to stop being so much fun to read about! I've got babies to take care and I keep checking your blog for new postings! Laughter is good medicine.
Thanks!
God bless you and your family. Looks like you have another writer in the family. What a cutie! I wonder if I have enough energy to have a F5 tantrum and how many calories it would burn....
Annette
Oh he is soooo precious!!!!! Kids are the funniest when they throw tantrums...what is "F5?" Ooo, I just pictured God cracking up at my tantrums...not funny. hee hee hee
Praying for you all...y'all rather.
How PRECIOUS! He has the most ADORABLE eyes! Thank you for sharing! My brother does worship for Young Life and he usually spends a month at Frontier Ranch in Colorado and a Month at Windy Gap in NC...he and his wife are expecting their first baby...so next year they will have a 6 month old at camp! I can't wait to share your posts with them!
I have been praying for your Mom all day today! Can't wait to hear how it went! God Bless - Emmy : )
To the mom with the bulimic daughter:
You might want to check out www.remuda-ranch.com. I was an anorexic and exercise bulimic for many years, but the time I spent in that place changed my life and my walk with God. I have been walking in freedom (with some minor struggles, but NOTHING like before treatment) for almost 5 years now.
I will pray for you and your daughter. May the Lord bless you both and give you hope.
Thanks for sharing the pictures...I too had to laugh, but only because it hits close to home. I have a three year-old, so we've had some tantrums at our house. He does look pretty pitiful though...sometimes you have to hide your face and laugh!
Thanks for being so open.
love-
Cynthia in OK
PS Jennyhope - Bless you!! My hubby had that last fall. Yikes for you. I know you're miserable! I will say a prayer that you will recover asap!!
How darling! I just want to squeeze him! Thank you for sharing him with us.
I had so hoped to be able to attend Beth at A Women of Faith but I will not be able to. My mother four weeks ago was given three months to live, today Hospice has said perhaps three weeks.
I know this Blog is not about sharing personal request but could I just beg and plead that everyone pray. Pray specifically that my extremely hateful and stubborn father who is not a Christian will sign some papers. They are ctitical.
Thank you!
Dear Amanda,
Oh my goodness do I remember those days! Hang in there. I have triplet girls and a son 10 months older. There now 18 & 19 yrs. old (so so hard to believe!) Seems like we were just going through that lovely stage. My kids last tanturm was their last because I had had enough of their tantrums and threw one myself! They stopped imediatly and watched me in shock. Never had one since then! I was desperate but it worked. My kids were so michevious, the stories I could tell and continue to tell! We also have a 7 yr.old-so different and such a blessing. God has a sense of humor and so must I to survive this life of raising kids. We do joke and laugh a lot!!
With much love, Joanne from NH
I'm praying for Beth & the girls going to Florida. I'm praying that God will be HUGE there. Great picture of Jackson - I can see how Beth could love him sooooo much. What a joy he must be (well, maybe not at that moment:)
Amanda - I enjoy this Blog page soooo much, THANKS for all your work!!
Beth, Could anything be more embarrassing than telling a complete stranger that God has put it on your heart to reach out and ask for a discipling relationship with a complete stranger? Well, being God, He can alway one up it and make you ask the most popular woman in America, in a public and permanent way! I have no explanation other than obedience. I learned a long time ago that it hurts much more to disobey than to be embarrassed. So here I am, hanging my drawers in the wind, putting this out there and allowing God to do whatever the crazy thing He wants with it. God bless you, and if His plan is not for this side of eternity, I'll catch you when we both get set free!
For the momma with the bulimic daughter--I was bulimic/anorexic for over fifteen years. Keep praying. My Mom never lost faith. She just passed away March 23 and I've been cleaning out her things. Some of the most precious items I've found are her prayer journals. She prayed for me with anguish in her heart, but a strong faith in The One she knew could set me free.
Part of my desire to lose weight had to do with a great fear of losing her. I desperately wanted to please her and I thought if I could stay little or sick God wouldn't take her from me and some day I would do something to make her proud.
I had been free of the desire to starve or purge for about fifteen years when my Mom passed away this year. Satan tried to talk me into my old ways when she moved to Heaven, but I have been set free and those whom He has set free are free indeed! I did not succumb. I never received my Mom's blessing and I was tempted to believe that if I had just remained thin Momma would never have died. Satan can get us to entertain the most ridiculous lies.
All this to tell you, NEVER stop praying for your daughter. Never stop believing God will deliver her and use all her misery for good one day.
Use your daughter's sickness to deepen your own faith. Encourage her even when you feel like wringing her neck for such destructive behavior. Never confront her with your feelings of inadequacy as a parent, such as, "Where did I go wrong? What did I do to make you like this?"
Just love her unconditionally and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!
You have a darling little boy...ink stained mouth and all! I love you and your family! janf
To the Mom with a bulimic daughter: Go buy Beth Moore's book, "Get Out of That Pit." It will help you to help your daughter....she is in a horrible, hellish pit. And go to that website the voice of experience told you about. You have my prayers for peace for you and for total healing for your daughter. Pray for the faith of Jesus...it is the perfect faith...and miracles do happen!
To jennyhope: God bless you, dear one. Try to remember that if God brings you to it, He will bring you through it! While you are confined to bed, even in agony, praise Him for the blessings He gives you every day. Praise Him for His mercies...they are new each morning. Praise Him that His grace is sufficient in all things, and claim His grace for yourself. I know you are miserable, but I promise you that in praising Him, you will find hope and healing. Also listen for what God is telling you in this season of your life; has He been trying to get your attention? He loves you beyond your imagination, and His greatest desire is to have a loving relationship with you. I do know what I am talking about for I, too, have been confined to a hospital bed for 3 months and again for 2 months, in agonizing pain and unable to take any pain medicine at all. And you have my prayers for total healing and restoration. Cry out to the Lord....and trust Him to bring you through this illness. He walks beside you day and night in your suffering. This illness will be to His glory if you let it. Jesus loves you, this I know. Rest in His love.
I know a girl who also went to Remuda Ranch to be treated for anorexia. She is now healthy and happy. Her family credits the ranch for saving her life - I will be praying for your daughter.
F5 Tantrum...I like that. Okay, it's not that I like the tantrum itself, but it is a much more entertaining way of describing a big ole fit by my 2yo!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Marsha
Amanda,
You're little baby boy is so stinkin' cute! I could almost hear him screaming just by seeing the pictures. Thanks for sharing!
love you,
Kristi
WOW can I relate to that picture! Our youngest daughter, who is now 20, was a floor scrounger as well. That all changed when she swallowed one of those nails used for hanging pictures! After an x-ray and a "this too shall pass" mentality by the ER doctore she was up and running once again!
I suspect having a famous Mom like you do, people are probably scrutinizing your every move! Breathe deep and don't give a rip about trying to have it all together! None of us do!
Connie Hopkins
Amanda- thanks so much for sharing these sweet Jackson moments with us! I don't know if you scrapbook or not, but you should- you have good pictures to do it with!
I'm feeling your pain here, we're deep in tantrum land with our 18-month-old. Laughing is the only cure we have right now!
Also praying for your mom and her team now.
I love the F5 comment. :-) That is so cute. Kids and pens. Never a good combo. I saw a kiddo the other day who got ahold of a sharpie and covered his legs and arms and face! hehehe! Too cute. Well, maybe not for the mommy. :)
Hi Amanda,
Those pictures tell such a story! I can still view all the "You Tube" videos.
That last picture - Oh my!! He looks so precious, how can you tell him no when he looks at you like that!! haha It must be done, I know!!
Everyday and every milestone gets better and better - hang in there!! My daughter is getting ready to start preschool (my firstborn) and I feel like I could have been more patient with some of her tough moments if I knew it was as temporary as it was. In the blink of an eye she has become a little lady. It is so hard to keep positive when it seems the tantrums or the repeated no's are never ending or the constant testing of your rules will not cease, but it does!! You have to keep on keeping on!! I know you have a great Mother to lean on if you have a bad day. I also know it always helped me to know my bad days were understood by another mom.
Many blessings!!
Dear Sista Amanda,
Your precious Jackson reminds me of my Joshua (who turned two on Friday). The tantrums come and they go. My precious Joshua pitched a F5 tantrum at Bible school this past week in front of the entire craft department. I know exactly how you feel. My prayers are with you and Jackson.
Stacey
Our "Beth Moore Bible Study" group went to the Friday pre-conference session in Fort Lauderdale and my comment is...
LOVE those ruby red slippers!!
=)
Post a Comment
<< Home